PDA

View Full Version : Capt's Quest to the 2010 Ohio Natural's!

Capt_lou
01-14-2010, 01:27 PM
OK I figured I would make a journal over here since I will not get the feel good B.S. like you get on that other site. I know everyone here will give me a stright up answer on progression and goals.

After a lot of prodding from other people I made the decision about a year ago to throw my hat into competing.

This is the next chapter to compete in the October 2010 NPC naturals in Lakewood Ohio. I started my cut diet as of the 26th of December and the goal is to get to around 8-9 percent BF by May or June. Then maintain till I start my contest prep in Early July.

For the first 2-3 weeks I will be doing no cardio while I dial in my calories. After I figure out exactly what I need to be taking in, then I will be doing HIIT 2-3 times a week. Stayfit has given me a diet that I am currently on and will follow that and adjusting as the weight comes off.

Training will pretty much stay the same, but I will be adding another day for abs and hamstrings. It just makes it easier this way so I am not in the gym 2 hours on 1 night.

Split will be:
Session 1 - Chest/Tri''s
Session 2 - Quads/Calves
Session 3 - Back/Bi's
Session 4 - Hams/Abs
Session 5 - Delts/Traps/Calves

As of Saturday I weighed 205. The over all goal is not a specific weight but a look. So I can't say what I think I will come in as.

Only physical limitation that I have right now is a bulging disk in my T12-L1 and degenerative disk disease, so Straight squatting is kinda out of the question, it just tears up my lower back.

Quads/Calves
Leg press
270 for 8
470 for 6
650 for 6
830 for 6
830 for 4
650 for 10
470 for 20
270 for 40

Smith machine front squats - Weight only
90 for 8
140 for 8
170 for 4 - Died on these

Leg Extensions - Both legs
250 for 8
270 for 8
290 for 8 - 5 second hold

Leg Extensions - 1 leg at a time
130 for 8
110 for 10
90 for 12

Standing Calf Raises
210 for 10
230 for 8
250 for 8
270 for 8
270 for 7
270 for 7
290 for 6
290 for 4 - Did 6 but only going to count 4 since ROM was off

joedemarco
01-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Glad you decided to start a journal here! I look forward to following along. Best of luck with your competition this year.

Down4whatever
01-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Whew, I'm gonna be racking up the frequent flyer miles this year. Go Tom!!

Strong quad sesh! Front skwats looked brutal :hypno:

bodyhard
01-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Who the fuck let this pussy into a hardcore site like RX muscle?

Welcome Tom we need more hardcore guys the more the merrier, I will follow along and you know I will never bullshit you. If my memory serves me correctly I told you at one point your routine sucked ass and you came back with a vengeance :)

freebirdmac
01-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Glad to see you! I love following hard core workouts :)

Capt_lou
01-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Glad you decided to start a journal here! I look forward to following along. Best of luck with your competition this year.

Not going to just do it, why show up if you don't want to win?

Whew, I'm gonna be racking up the frequent flyer miles this year. Go Tom!!

Strong quad sesh! Front skwats looked brutal :hypno:

Frickin quads were screaming!

Who the fuck let this pussy into a hardcore site like RX muscle?

Welcome Tom we need more hardcore guys the more the merrier, I will follow along and you know I will never bullshit you. If my memory serves me correctly I told you at one point your routine sucked ass and you came back with a vengeance :)

Fuck you! LOL yea the first thing you ever told me...will never forget it.

Glad to see you! I love following hard core workouts :)

It will get brutal at times! Tonight is back and tri's!

joedemarco
01-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Not going to just do it, why show up if you don't want to win?

All I said was "best of luck with your competition"? Sorry if you took that the wrong way? Who said anything about you not winning?

Capt_lou
01-14-2010, 03:18 PM
All I said was "best of luck with your competition"? Sorry if you took that the wrong way? Who said anything about you not winning?

oops sorry, I think that my response came out wrong. I apprecite all of the help and feedback everyone gives me.

joedemarco
01-14-2010, 03:21 PM
oops sorry, I think that my response came out wrong. I apprecite all of the help and feedback everyone gives me.

No problem....I'm behind ya 100% to kick some serious ass at your contest! Anyone on this forum training hard is a friend of mine!

bodyhard
01-14-2010, 03:22 PM
All I said was "best of luck with your competition"? Sorry[/b if you took that the wrong way? Who said anything about you not winning?

[b]oops sorry, I think that my response came out wrong. I apprecite all of the help and feedback everyone gives me.

Whats with all this apologizing bullshit, you guys want a fucking room? Rip each other apart!! :D :D

Can ya feel the luv in the air:yep:

Ironman19871
01-14-2010, 03:53 PM
OK I figured I would make a journal over here since I will not get the feel good B.S. like you get on that other site. I know everyone here will give me a stright up answer on progression and goals.

After a lot of prodding from other people I made the decision about a year ago to throw my hat into competing.

This is the next chapter to compete in the October 2010 NPC naturals in Lakewood Ohio. I started my cut diet as of the 26th of December and the goal is to get to around 8-9 percent BF by May or June. Then maintain till I start my contest prep in Early July.

For the first 2-3 weeks I will be doing no cardio while I dial in my calories. After I figure out exactly what I need to be taking in, then I will be doing HIIT 2-3 times a week. Stayfit has given me a diet that I am currently on and will follow that and adjusting as the weight comes off.

Training will pretty much stay the same, but I will be adding another day for abs and hamstrings. It just makes it easier this way so I am not in the gym 2 hours on 1 night.

Split will be:
Session 1 - Chest/Tri''s
Session 2 - Quads/Calves
Session 3 - Back/Bi's
Session 4 - Hams/Abs
Session 5 - Delts/Traps/Calves

As of Saturday I weighed 205. The over all goal is not a specific weight but a look. So I can't say what I think I will come in as.

Only physical limitation that I have right now is a bulging disk in my T12-L1 and degenerative disk disease, so Straight squatting is kinda out of the question, it just tears up my lower back.

Quads/Calves
Leg press
270 for 8
470 for 6
650 for 6
830 for 6
830 for 4
650 for 10
470 for 20
270 for 40

Smith machine front squats - Weight only
90 for 8
140 for 8
170 for 4 - Died on these

250 for 8
270 for 8
290 for 8 - 5 second hold

130 for 8
110 for 10
90 for 12

Standing Calf Raises
210 for 10
230 for 8
250 for 8
270 for 8
270 for 7
270 for 7
290 for 6
290 for 4 - Did 6 but only going to count 4 since ROM was off

Sounds like a decent plan.

I would cut January. Then Bulk 6 weeks. Diet 6 weeks. Bulk 4-6 weeks. After that, start a continuous diet 22 weeks out from your show.

Take advantage of the time you have to grow.

I've seen success from this method; competing naturally in the NPC.

AnglicanBeachParty
01-14-2010, 03:59 PM

Good to see yet another Masters journal!

I will be glad to give you straight up answers ... unless you are planning to come compete in Michigan (where I compete). In that case, I will revert to "feel-good B.S." mode! :p

Capt_lou
01-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Whats with all this apologizing bullshit, you guys want a fucking room? Rip each other apart!! :D :D

Can ya feel the luv in the air:yep:

Swear gonna get you drunk in C-Bus and leaave you some where with no money or phone :fingers:

I would cut January. Then Bulk 6 weeks. Diet 6 weeks. Bulk 4-6 weeks. After that, start a continuous diet 22 weeks out from your show.

I would like to get done to a respectable Body fat then maintain till 20 weeks out then slow cut perserving as much lean mass as I can.

Good to see yet another Masters journal!

I will be glad to give you straight up answers ... unless you are planning to come compete in Michigan (where I compete). In that case, I will revert to "feel-good B.S." mode! :p

So me telling you that 8% BF is the new in thing to do won't work? :dunno:

blu2xtreme
01-14-2010, 04:38 PM
I am of zero help ...but welcome :)

bodyhard
01-14-2010, 05:23 PM

WHats with the thumbs down in the subject line, then you give him props? Confusing the shit out of me thats for sure.

Swear gonna get you drunk in C-Bus and leaave you some where with no money or phone :fingers:

You promise man? :shake:

Baldiewonkanobi
01-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Lou....add in some ham curls and that is Baldies leg day pound for pound. You been peeking?

Baldie

gman
01-14-2010, 06:08 PM
too many calf raises baldie! lol

I might do one again someday just so I can say I did one.

Steve_Colescott
01-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Welcome to the site. Good to see another Ohio guy. Where are you training?

Capt_lou
01-14-2010, 08:44 PM
I am of zero help ...but welcome :)

Female's are always welcome in the journal :yep:

WHats with the thumbs down in the subject line, then you give him props? Confusing the shit out of me thats for sure.

You promise man? :shake:

You can bet on it LOL

Lou....add in some ham curls and that is Baldies leg day pound for pound. You been peeking?

Baldie

I split up hams and quads on separate days, my hams are lagging a bit and wanted to pay extra special attention to them

too many calf raises baldie! lol

I might do one again someday just so I can say I did one.

My damn calves are awful, I hit them twice a week, they are coming around, but are stubborn.

I am at Powerhouse up in Twinsburg, not as hard as my old gym, but it serves it purpose and people stay the fuck out of my way for the most part. Where you at?

Mac
01-15-2010, 08:05 AM

I am now a part-time Ohioan. I live in Akron 5 days a week. Looking for a good gym that's more hardcore for bodybuilders.

I struck a pose at the Y and everyone stared at me. Maybe I just look funny.

Capt_lou
01-15-2010, 08:12 AM
I am now a part-time Ohioan. I live in Akron 5 days a week. Looking for a good gym that's more hardcore for bodybuilders.

I struck a pose at the Y and everyone stared at me. Maybe I just look funny.

If you want to take a 35 min drive in Brunswick you could go to UXL and there are a lot of guys who compete up there. That is where I used to workout at and is pretty nice for 20.00 a month with no contract.

Took it easy last night, yea yea I know pussy or slacker or what ever you want to call me. I had to get back on my normal split, and did back/tri's again last night. Weight was lower but intensity was still there. next week I will get back to normal high weight low rep stuff.

Wide Grip Pull Downs
160 for 8
200 for 8
220 for 7
220 for 6
220 for 5

High Hammer Strength Rows - Weight per side
135 for 8
280 for 8
200 for 8

1 Hand Low cable row - Weight per side
80 for 8
100 for 8
120 for 8

DB rows - Wanted to do BB rows but rack was taken
100 for 8
110 for 8
110 for 8

Bentover Overhead Rope extensions
130 for 8
145 for 8
160 for 8
175 for 6

Cross Body Tricep Cable Extenstions
25 for 10
30 for 8
30 for 8

bodyhard
01-15-2010, 08:14 AM
If you want to take a 35 min drive in Brunswick you could go to UXL and there are a lot of guys who compete up there. That is where I used to workout at and is pretty nice for 20.00 a month with no contract.

Took it easy last night, yea yea I know pussy or slacker or what ever you want to call me. I had to get back on my normal split, and did back/tri's again last night. Weight was lower but intensity was still there. next week I will get back to normal high weight low rep stuff.

Wide Grip Pull Downs
160 for 8
200 for 8
220 for 7
220 for 6
220 for 5

High Hammer Strength Rows - Weight per side
135 for 8
280 for 8
200 for 8

1 Hand Low cable row - Weight per side
80 for 8
100 for 8
120 for 8

DB rows - Wanted to do BB rows but rack was taken
100 for 8
110 for 8
110 for 8

Bentover Overhead Rope extensions
130 for 8
145 for 8
160 for 8
175 for 6

Cross Body Tricep Cable Extenstions
25 for 10
30 for 8
30 for 8

Looks like a good workout even for what you call taking it easy!

Capt_lou
01-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Looks like a good workout even for what you call taking it easy!

Wanted to start out with some rack deads, but both racks were taken with a idiot curling and some other idiot doing the worst squat form I have ever seen.

gman
01-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Yeah, that's some serious volume... I need to train with you guys sometime!

Idiots in the rack, it's the same everywhere!

Capt_lou
01-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Yeah, that's some serious volume... I need to train with you guys sometime!

Idiots in the rack, it's the same everywhere!

That is pretty much the same volume that I do all the time, 1-2 warmup sets then 3 working sets for 6-8 reps.

Bob45
01-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Good workouts. Subscribed.

buckimscl
01-17-2010, 11:17 AM
I'll follow along since I will be at that show.

Capt_lou
01-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Good workouts. Subscribed.

Thanks for the support!

I'll follow along since I will be at that show.

Thanks, I will welcome all cheers or boos lol

pretty good short workout last night. Had to kinda rush through it since I promised my daughter I would take her to a movie.

Smith Over Press - Weight only
90 for 8
140 for 8
180 for 8
200 for 6
200 for 5

Standing Front DB raises
40 for 8
45 for 8
50 for 8

Seated Db Side Raises
35 for8
40 for 8
40 for 8

DB Shrugs - 1 second static hold at top
95 for 8
105 for 8
115 for 8
125 for 8
135 for 8

ABS

bodyhard
01-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the support!

Thanks, I will welcome all cheers or boos lol

pretty good short workout last night. Had to kinda rush through it since I promised my daughter I would take her to a movie.

Smith Over Press - Weight only
90 for 8
140 for 8
180 for 8
200 for 6
200 for 5

Standing Front DB raises
40 for 8
45 for 8
50 for 8

Seated Db Side Raises
35 for8
40 for 8
40 for 8

DB Shrugs - 1 second static hold at top
95 for 8
105 for 8
115 for 8
125 for 8
135 for 8

ABS

Any reason why you don't hit the rear delts or do you do them on a separate workout

Capt_lou
01-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Any reason why you don't hit the rear delts or do you do them on a separate workout

I usually do but there was a time factor last night with getting home and getting to the frickin movie on time. I alternate my workouts with seated bent over Db raises for rear delts and face pulls.

bodyhard
01-17-2010, 01:40 PM
I usually do but there was a time factor last night with getting home and getting to the frickin movie on time. I alternate my workouts with seated bent over Db raises for rear delts and face pulls.

Gotcha!

Capt_lou
01-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Since everyone is sharing video's here is one of me.

ho3uuJpTUMg

freebirdmac
01-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Awesome!!! How high up do the dumbbells there go?

That's like benching one of me in each hand :)

Ironman19871
01-18-2010, 10:55 PM

I would like to get done to a respectable Body fat then maintain till 20 weeks out then slow cut perserving as much lean mass as I can.

So me telling you that 8% BF is the new in thing to do won't work? :dunno:

I understood your plan from the beginning. You should spend the next 6 months growing, then diet for your show. Ask any good natural pro, they will say the same thing. I understand you are geared up for your show already, which is great;be patient. If you're worried about not being lean enough, start your contest diet 3 or 4 weeks earlier. Try to lose 1-1.5lbs/week.

Down4whatever
01-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Ahhh, now I see what I'm doing wrong on DB press; I take those bitches all the way to my chest. My guess is that by doing that, I'm bringing too much shoulder into play.

Nice work man! You handle those like they're toys!

Bob45
01-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Since everyone is sharing video's here is one of me.

ho3uuJpTUMg

Nice! They sound like church bells ringing. I put them on my knees like you but I don't sit down first to get them in place. I pick them up off the floor and sit with them on my knees like you have them. Seemed easier. I don't think I could get a 120 off the floor with one hand sitting like you do. I don't have anything bigger than 85's in my basement either.

Ahhh, now I see what I'm doing wrong on DB press; I take those bitches all the way to my chest. My guess is that by doing that, I'm bringing too much shoulder into play.

Hmm, I do the same. Doesn't seem to bother my shoulders. I like full ROM on anything I can. Maybe I am wrong too.

Capt_lou
01-19-2010, 09:17 AM
I understood your plan from the beginning. You should spend the next 6 months growing, then diet for your show. Ask any good natural pro, they will say the same thing. I understand you are geared up for your show already, which is great;be patient. If you're worried about not being lean enough, start your contest diet 3 or 4 weeks earlier. Try to lose 1-1.5lbs/week.

I have been toying with cutting down to 195 then a slow bulk till prep time. I just hate being over 205 and squishy right now.

I have seen people do them both ways, I never drop my arms below 90 due to it just tears my right shoulder apart. Some people don't call what I do real presses but I just say fuck em.

Good Workout last night, I was kinda due one. I was taking a supplement called XGF by AST and felt like shit all the time. I started to really read the label and it turns out that there is Iodine in it, well I am pretty allergic to it. Why in the hell would you put Iodine in a supplement? :confused:

Incline DB presses
75 for 8
100 for 8
115 for 8
120 for 5

Flat DB Presses Super Set with Flat DB Flys
70 for 12 to 50 for 8
70 for 12 to 50 for 8
70 for 12 to 50 for 8

High Cable cross overs
75 for 10
85 for 10
95 for 10

Seated DB Curls
45 for 8
50 for 8
50 for 7
50 for 7

Rope Curls
100 for 8
115 for 8
130 for 7

Cross Body Cable Curls
50 for 8
60 for 8
70 for 7

Capt_lou
01-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Awesome!!! How high up do the dumbbells there go?

That's like benching one of me in each hand :)

In my gym they go up to 150, but have only seen one guy use those lol

Nice! They sound like church bells ringing. I put them on my knees like you but I don't sit down first to get them in place. I pick them up off the floor and sit with them on my knees like you have them. Seemed easier. I don't think I could get a 120 off the floor with one hand sitting like you do. I don't have anything bigger than 85's in my basement either.

Hmm, I do the same. Doesn't seem to bother my shoulders. I like full ROM on anything I can. Maybe I am wrong too.

I have tried the stand up method but getting 240lbs out in front me me like that feels very unstable and asking for trouble.

Like I said earlier, if my shoulder would let me go father down I would, but I want to be able to move it for the next couple days lol.

joedemarco
01-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Good lift, Capt Lou! You made those 120's look light the way you picked them up off the floor.

bodyhard
01-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Although I have seen the video before at the other site, I still need to comment on it.

Awesome fucking lift man! Did you move up as yet or are you still concentrating on the 120's

Bob45
01-19-2010, 10:08 AM
In my gym they go up to 150, but have only seen one guy use those lol

I have tried the stand up method but getting 240lbs out in front me me like that feels very unstable and asking for trouble.

Like I said earlier, if my shoulder would let me go father down I would, but I want to be able to move it for the next couple days lol.

They are real presses for sure. Just getting them into postion like that is impressive itself. Not all the way down doesn't always mean easier. There is no momentum when you do that. Your right to say fuck em. Everyone has their little comments. You gotta do what works for you and what your body lets you do.

Bob45
01-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Your going to be impressive in that show in July. You move a lot of weight around. That means there is a lot of muscle under there to show!

Capt_lou
01-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Good lift, Capt Lou! You made those 120's look light the way you picked them up off the floor.

Too me it's 2 seperate lifts, one to get them in position and the next is the presses lol

Although I have seen the video before at the other site, I still need to comment on it.

Awesome fucking lift man! Did you move up as yet or are you still concentrating on the 120's

Doing more inclines now so up to 115 for 8, and did 120's for 5 last night. I think a couple weeks ago I used 125's on flat when all the adjustable benches were taken. More video's to come this weekend. :yep:

They are real presses for sure. Just getting them into postion like that is impressive itself. Not all the way down doesn't always mean easier. There is no momentum when you do that. Your right to say fuck em. Everyone has their little comments. You gotta do what works for you and what your body lets you do.

It took a lot of practice lol

Your going to be impressive in that show in July. You move a lot of weight around. That means there is a lot of muscle under there to show!

Show is in October, I hope under all this fat there is a lot of muscle lol

DBowden
01-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Show is in October, I hope under all this fat there is a lot of muscle lol

Moving 120 db's like that, I bet there is.

Ironman19871
01-19-2010, 11:37 PM
[quote=Capt_lou;817339]I have been toying with cutting down to 195 then a slow bulk till prep time. I just hate being over 205 and squishy right now.

I have seen people do them both ways, I never drop my arms below 90 due to it just tears my right shoulder apart. Some people don't call what I do real presses but I just say fuck em.

That's exactly what I would do. Not worth feeling sloppy.

BTW keep it up. I'm looking forward to see how you progress.

Capt_lou
01-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Moving 120 db's like that, I bet there is.

I like to think so lol

That's exactly what I would do. Not worth feeling sloppy.

BTW keep it up. I'm looking forward to see how you progress.

Thanks, I am really looking forward to this journey and can't wait to see what is under neath or what I am really made of.

OK training last night, weight felt heavy but I know a couple reasons why, diet was off yesterday, started cardio the night before and roller skated with the kids on Monday for 4 hours lol.

Leg Press
270 for 8
470 for 6
670 for 6
850 for 6
850 for 6
850 for 6

Front Squats in smith - Weight only
90 for 8
140 for 6
140 for 6

250 for 8
270 for 8
290 for 8
315 for 8

Leg Extensions - 1 Leg at a time
130 for 8
110 for 8
90 for 8

Standing Calf Raises
210 for 8
230 for 8
250 for 8
270 for 8
290 for 6
290 for 6
290 for 6

kimm4
01-21-2010, 01:24 AM
I like to think so lol

Thanks, I am really looking forward to this journey and can't wait to see what is under neath or what I am really made of.

OK training last night, weight felt heavy but I know a couple reasons why, diet was off yesterday, started cardio the night before and roller skated with the kids on Monday for 4 hours lol.

Leg Press
270 for 8
470 for 6
670 for 6
850 for 6
850 for 6
850 for 6

Front Squats in smith - Weight only
90 for 8
140 for 6
140 for 6

250 for 8
270 for 8
290 for 8
315 for 8

Leg Extensions - 1 Leg at a time
130 for 8
110 for 8
90 for 8

Standing Calf Raises
210 for 8
230 for 8
250 for 8
270 for 8
290 for 6
290 for 6
290 for 6

Great work, you've been a busy guy!!

4 hours of skating...no wonder everything felt heavy!!

Capt_lou
01-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Great work, you've been a busy guy!!

4 hours of skating...no wonder everything felt heavy!!

I am always busy and on the go.

Felt like a total tard out there on roller skates while fat guys with fanny packs are skating all around me lol

bodyhard
01-21-2010, 01:08 PM
I am always busy and on the go.

Felt like a total tard out there on roller skates while fat guys with fanny packs are skating all around me lol

LMFAO!!! Shit I just pictured this!

Capt_lou
01-21-2010, 01:16 PM
LMFAO!!! Shit I just pictured this!

Dude the only reason why I agreed to go is because my 6 year old daughter wanted to. You should have seen this one fat ass guy who was skating around like he was Mark fucking Hammil, tights on and all.

bodyhard
01-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Dude the only reason why I agreed to go is because my 6 year old daughter wanted to. You should have seen this one fat ass guy who was skating around like he was Mark fucking Hammil, tights on and all.

Damn that has to suck ass, but at least you got time with your daughter which is a plus, but the fucking faggs on skates, man I am not sure about that shit :eek:

Bob45
01-21-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm curious how close to failure you go? You seem to get exact numbers. Big one's but exact. Like on the leg press you got 850 x 6 three sets in a row. Was the 6th a big struggle on each? Next time around do you add more?

Capt_lou
01-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Damn that has to suck ass, but at least you got time with your daughter which is a plus, but the fucking faggs on skates, man I am not sure about that shit :eek:

I can't say no to her lol

I'm curious how close to failure you go? You seem to get exact numbers. Big one's but exact. Like on the leg press you got 850 x 6 three sets in a row. Was the 6th a big struggle on each? Next time around do you add more?

I think failure is a term that is tossed around too much. I really think that none of us truely go to failure. We get tired but failure is where we can't move at all, even when not under a load.

I like exact numbers, so I do push it to get that 6th rep. If you look back in my journal sometimes I only get 7 or 5. With leg press I won't add more next time, due to a issue I am having with my left knee. I am thinking about knee wraps for when I got over 800lbs.

Bob45
01-21-2010, 03:03 PM
I can't say no to her lol

I think failure is a term that is tossed around too much. I really think that none of us truely go to failure. We get tired but failure is where we can't move at all, even when not under a load.

I like exact numbers, so I do push it to get that 6th rep. If you look back in my journal sometimes I only get 7 or 5. With leg press I won't add more next time, due to a issue I am having with my left knee. I am thinking about knee wraps for when I got over 800lbs.

Good answer! Let me word it differently. When you do the 6 reps could you have done 1 or 2 more? Probably none? Just trying to get an idea how you train. I see lots of different intensity in the gym. Hope that knee gets better. Sounds like the last rep is the last good one you could get the way you explained it.

Capt_lou
01-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Good answer! Let me word it differently. When you do the 6 reps could you have done 1 or 2 more? Probably none? Just trying to get an idea how you train. I see lots of different intensity in the gym. Hope that knee gets better. Sounds like the last rep is the last good one you could get the way you explained it.

Maybe 1 more, but with no spotter who wants 800+ pounds coming back on me lol

I do train with high intensity to the point where it is hard to push that last rep, but never really go to total and complete failure.

Bob45
01-21-2010, 03:59 PM

I do train with high intensity to the point where it is hard to push that last rep, but never really go to total and complete failure.

Just trying to strike up a conversation actually. I guess I train the same way. It is easier to get closer to the last rep with the lighter exercises. When you are doing squats. leg presses and deads it's a whole different thing. I have a power rack. I still get paranoid with a heavy bench. Do I have it set right? I've gotten stuck before years ago. Thought I was gonna die. No cage. Couldn't dump it. Luckily someone upstairs heard me yelling. They had to strip it to the bar for me to lift it again. I was never so exhausted in my life. I would say that was complete failure, lol.

joedemarco
01-21-2010, 04:27 PM
If I'm counting the set, then I make sure I pretty much get as many reps as I can. I don't like to finish a set thinking that I could have gotten 2-3 more reps. Deadlifts are easy to push to the limit because you can obviously just drop it if you get stuck. Bench and squat (if you don't have a spotter) is a different story. However, when you have been lifting for a long time, you know 99% of the time whether or not to go for that one extra rep.

Bob45
01-21-2010, 06:05 PM
If I'm counting the set, then I make sure I pretty much get as many reps as I can. I don't like to finish a set thinking that I could have gotten 2-3 more reps. Deadlifts are easy to push to the limit because you can obviously just drop it if you get stuck. Bench and squat (if you don't have a spotter) is a different story. However, when you have been lifting for a long time, you know 99% of the time whether or not to go for that one extra rep.

I lift in my basement. I do the deadlifts in my cage with the bars all the way down. Then I can load and unload 45's and they are an inch off the floor. No rubber plates. I can't drop mine. That would be nice to do. I usually can feel how many I have in me too. Just getting back at it changes that too. Then there are the days when everything feels easy and everything feels heavy.

freebirdmac
01-21-2010, 07:31 PM

Who can really spot complete failure on leg press??? No way is someone going to push 800 pounds back up :)

Bob45
01-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Who can really spot complete failure on leg press??? No way is someone going to push 800 pounds back up :)

Actually a kid can usually spot you. Mine did. You only miss it by a little when you can't get it. You don't just give up. Same with a heavy bench press. You can usually give a lot of help with a couple of fingers.

freebirdmac
01-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Actually a kid can usually spot you. Mine did. You only miss it by a little when you can't get it. You don't just give up. Same with a heavy bench press. You can usually give a lot of help with a couple of fingers.

That's not complete failure though. My understanding of failure is you aren't missing it by a little. The muscle is gone and won't support anything. What you're describing is forced reps after fatigue sets in.

Capt_lou
01-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Wow a lot of talk of failure in here. lol

Good Energy last night, I think my body is gettingused to the diet now and reacting pretty well. Down to 203.5 as of yesterday morning and should be 203 by Saturday. I am thinking that I will do this cut to 190-195 and then slow bulk till prep time.

Rack Deads
225 for 8
315 for 8
405 for 8
495 for 1
495 for 2

1 arm low cable row
100 for 8
120 for 8
120 for 8

Wide Grip Pull Downs
160 for 8
160 for 10
160 for 10

High Hammer Strength rows
90 for 8
135 for 8
135 for 9

Overhead tricep rope extenstions
130 for 8
145 for 8
160 for 8
175 for 7

Cross Body Tricep extensions
25 for 8
30 for 8
30 for 8

Dips - Drop sets assisted
20/Bodyweight, 8 w/45lbs, 8 w/85lbs
15/Bodyweight, 8 w/45lbs, 8 w/85lbs

Bob45
01-22-2010, 11:16 AM
That's not complete failure though. My understanding of failure is you aren't missing it by a little. The muscle is gone and won't support anything. What you're describing is forced reps after fatigue sets in.

I guess everyone has a different definition of failure. If I can get something up but can't quite lock it out I failed. Now if you brought it up and down past that point or held it there for a long period maybe you would completely fail. Like being stuck with no spotter for a long time. I won't use the word failure anymore since it seems to have different definitions to different people. If I got a 65 on a test in school I passed. If it was a 64 you failed. To the extent you fail must be in question right? I've never been that technical and just throw terms out there maybe.

Bob45
01-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Looks like you passed on that workout, lol.

bodyhard
01-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Wow a lot of talk of failure in here. lol

Good Energy last night, I think my body is gettingused to the diet now and reacting pretty well. Down to 203.5 as of yesterday morning and should be 203 by Saturday. I am thinking that I will do this cut to 190-195 and then slow bulk till prep time.

Rack Deads
225 for 8
315 for 8
405 for 8
495 for 1
495 for 2

1 arm low cable row
100 for 8
120 for 8
120 for 8

Wide Grip Pull Downs
160 for 8
160 for 10
160 for 10

High Hammer Strength rows
90 for 8
135 for 8
135 for 9

Overhead tricep rope extenstions
130 for 8
145 for 8
160 for 8
175 for 7

Cross Body Tricep extensions
25 for 8
30 for 8
30 for 8

Dips - Drop sets assisted
20/Bodyweight, 8 w/45lbs, 8 w/85lbs
15/Bodyweight, 8 w/45lbs, 8 w/85lbs

Nice fucking workout there man!

As for the failure there are two types of failure concentric failure, when you can no longer push the weight up and eccentric failure when you can no longer control the negative portion of the lift (the weight coming down on you)

Most people get to concentric failure very few do eccentric failure.

I have done it and the shit is fucking hard as hell. How do you do it?

Take the bench for example. You lift till you can not lift it anymore (concentric failure) then you have two spotters literately lift the weight up and you control the descend of the weight till you can no longer control it and it comes crashing down on you.

freebirdmac
01-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Funny, eccentric failure gets me on the 45 degree leg press before concentric failure. It's rather a whoa! Oh shit! Kind of moment.

Capt_lou
01-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Looks like you passed on that workout, lol.

LOL thanks

Nice fucking workout there man!

As for the failure there are two types of failure concentric failure, when you can no longer push the weight up and eccentric failure when you can no longer control the negative portion of the lift (the weight coming down on you)

Most people get to concentric failure very few do eccentric failure.

I have done it and the shit is fucking hard as hell. How do you do it?

Take the bench for example. You lift till you can not lift it anymore (concentric failure) then you have two spotters literately lift the weight up and you control the descend of the weight till you can no longer control it and it comes crashing down on you.

I have done eccentric before and felt like I was gonna fucking die.

Funny, eccentric failure gets me on the 45 degree leg press before concentric failure. It's rather a whoa! Oh shit! Kind of moment.

I have the saftey stops set right after my lowest point, been stuck once and had to contort my body a little to get out of there, unload the damn sled and push it back up lol

freebirdmac
01-22-2010, 03:28 PM
I don't think there are safety stops on the one I use.

Capt_lou
01-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Delots/Traps and abs yesterday. Took some video but have to compile it all. I am working on a little project and putting it all to music, which I hope to have it all done by Monday night.

DB Over head presses
75 for 8
85 for 8
85 for 8

DB Front lateral raises
40 for 8
45 for 8
50 for 8 - Gonna bump it up and try 55's next week

Seated side DB raises
40 for 8
40 for 8
45 for 6

Seated rear delt DB raises
35 for 8
35 for 8
35 for 8

BB shrugs
135 for 8
225 for 8
315 for 6
315 for 6
225 for 10

Upright rows
135 for 6
135 for 6
135 for 6

Bob45
01-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Front raises with 50#'s sounds pretty good to me. That is one exercise I never did much.

Capt_lou
01-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Front raises with 50#'s sounds pretty good to me. That is one exercise I never did much.

I feel that they are key to the development of the front delts.
225 for 8
315 for 8
335 for 4 - Died on these and form was getting sloppy

Laying Leg curls
140 for 8
160 for 7
160 for 8
170 for 5

ISO Standing leg curls
35 for 8
40 for 8
45 for 8

Calf raises on leg press
180 fr 10
360 for 10
450 for 10
540 for 8
540 for 8
560 for 10
560 for 10
650 for 7 - ROM was ok but not great on these

bodyhard
01-25-2010, 10:18 AM
I feel that they are key to the development of the front delts.
225 for 8
315 for 8
335 for 4 - Died on these and form was getting sloppy

Laying Leg curls
140 for 8
160 for 7
160 for 8
170 for 5

ISO Standing leg curls
35 for 8
40 for 8
45 for 8

Calf raises on leg press
180 fr 10
360 for 10
450 for 10
540 for 8
540 for 8
560 for 10
560 for 10
650 for 7 - ROM was ok but not great on these

Maybe you should have done another 315 for 8.

Capt_lou
01-25-2010, 10:35 AM
Maybe you should have done another 315 for 8.

Yea next time, I was trying to push the envelope a bit lol

bodyhard
01-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Yea next time, I was trying to push the envelope a bit lol

IMO form is so much more important when it comes to deadlift and SLDL more so than any other exercise, because of the major involvement of the lower back.

Capt_lou
01-25-2010, 02:08 PM
IMO form is so much more important when it comes to deadlift and SLDL more so than any other exercise, because of the major involvement of the lower back.

I totally agree, I think I actually did 5 or 6 but the form was only good for 4.

Bob45
01-25-2010, 02:51 PM
What about bench presses for front delts? Don't you think they hit them hard. Shoulders are my weak point so maybe I should be doing fronts too.

Capt_lou
01-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Here is my first attempt at a compilation video.

GbR2rbzDIMo

Asmolenski
01-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Good luck with your show. I did that contest in 2008 - very professional - you will love it. If you have any questions about what to expect let me know. I will tell you that the judges are looking for conditioning over size in this show. Also, after prejudging if they call out your name for a urine drug test then you are in the top 5 of your weight class.

Dr Smo

Bob45
01-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Great video! I'm going to start the front raises. The shoulders look good.

Capt_lou
01-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Good luck with your show. I did that contest in 2008 - very professional - you will love it. If you have any questions about what to expect let me know. I will tell you that the judges are looking for conditioning over size in this show. Also, after prejudging if they call out your name for a urine drug test then you are in the top 5 of your weight class.

Dr Smo

Thanks! I have been to the show twice, but this March i will be going to the pre-judging. I am not that owrried about my size, it is the conditioning that has me a little nervous, since this is my first time that I am getting down that low.

Great video! I'm going to start the front raises. The shoulders look good.

They are a great movement to make your chest look bigger.
120 for 8
120 for 7
Hammer Strength Flat bench
90 for 8
100 for 7
105 for 6
Flat Flys
55 for 8
65 for 8
70 for 9
High Cable cross overs
75 for 12
85 for 12
95 for 9
Seated DB Curls
45 for 8
50 for 8
50 for 8
50 for 7
Rope Curls
115 for 8
130 for 8
130 for 9
Cross body cable curls
50 for 8
60 for 8
70 for 7

Capt_lou
01-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Updated relaxed poses, I was cold at the time of these pictures.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc171/tlou5831/1-24-10.jpg

Bob45
01-26-2010, 11:49 AM
How realxed are you? Lol. You have until October. You have plenty of mass and not a lot of bodyfat. The conditioning should be great by then.

bodyhard
01-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Here is my first attempt at a compilation video.

GbR2rbzDIMo

Fucking reps on the video man! Shit like this is what this is all about! I got fucking pumped up watching the video, just the mere fact that I know you, not like I am looking at some Pro-bodybuilder, not that their videos don't fucking amped me up they do, but just seeing a regular guy that I know do this is just that much more motivating!

Fucking major props on training Tom, seriously!

Capt_lou
01-26-2010, 12:50 PM
How realxed are you? Lol. You have until October. You have plenty of mass and not a lot of bodyfat. The conditioning should be great by then.

Well relaxed manadtories are really anything form relaxed. I would put myself around 13-14% right now.

Fucking reps on the video man! Shit like this is what this is all about! I got fucking pumped up watching the video, just the mere fact that I know you, not like I am looking at some Pro-bodybuilder, not that their videos don't fucking amped me up they do, but just seeing a regular guy that I know do this is just that much more motivating!

Fucking major props on training Tom, seriously!

Thanks John, coming from you that means a lot, I know if I looked like shit or needed to bring up something you would deff tell me. This is just the first of many that are to come. My girlf friend owns her own marketing company and is really helping me market myself for sponsorships.

Bob45
01-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Well relaxed manadtories are really anything form relaxed. I would put myself around 13-14% right now.

I know. My jokes are just lousy I guess. I like my own jokes though.

Capt_lou
01-26-2010, 01:54 PM
I know. My jokes are just lousy I guess. I like my own jokes though.

LOL OK I got it now....will try to keep up :yep:

bodyhard
01-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks John, coming from you that means a lot, I know if I looked like shit or needed to bring up something you would deff tell me. This is just the first of many that are to come. My girlf friend owns her own marketing company and is really helping me market myself for sponsorships.

You know I would never bullshit you, or anyone for the matter. As a matter of fact I find it pathetic when someone post a "You look awesome" comment when someone is looking for some constructive criticism.

Kool man best of luck to you.

Capt_lou
01-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Left knee is still bothering me a bit, sharp pain right under the knee cap. Going to take it light for a couple weeks and see how it does, hopefully it is just a touch of tendinitis.

Leg Press
270 for 8
470 for 20
470 for 20
470 for 20
560 for 20
560 for 20
610 for 15
610 for 15

Front Squats on smith - Quads were torched by this time
90 for 12
110 for 8
120 for 8
140 for 6

130 for 8
110 for 8
90 for 12

Standing Calf Raises
230 for 8
250 for 8
270 for 8
270 for 8
270 for 8
250 for 8
190 for 10

Bob45
01-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Left knee is still bothering me a bit, sharp pain right under the knee cap. Going to take it light for a couple weeks and see how it does, hopefully it is just a touch of tendinitis.

Someone told me there is a trigger point right in that spot. If you take your thumb and put pressure at the very top and middle of the rectus femoris muscle and work out the knots in that muscle it helps. It seemed to help me a bit but I'm not sure. I'll do squats again and let you know.

Capt_lou
01-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Someone told me there is a trigger point right in that spot. If you take your thumb and put pressure at the very top and middle of the rectus femoris muscle and work out the knots in that muscle it helps. It seemed to help me a bit but I'm not sure. I'll do squats again and let you know.

Going to have to google that one....

Bob45
01-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Going to have to google that one....

That's what I did. I would never know the name. It's just the muscle dead center of your thigh.

Capt_lou
01-29-2010, 08:58 AM
Late workout last night. Still got in around 8:30 and did my workout. Forgot my book so had to go by memory and log everything in my black berry.

Rack deads
225 for 8
315 for 8
405 for 8
455 for 6
455 for 4

BB rows
135 for 8
185 for 8
225 for 8
245 for 8
245 for 6

Pull downs - Wide grip
140 for 8
180 for 7
180 for 7

1 arm high cable rows
60 for 8
70 for 8
85 for 8

Over head triceps rope extensions
145 for 8
160 for 8
175 for 8
175 for 8

1 arm cable push down with rope
40 for 8
40 for 8
40 for 8
40 for 12 - alternating arms

Capt_lou
01-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Some one just posted on that other board wearing these. If I ever wear these please kick my ass!

http://www.blavish.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/fajfingr-10-5-2006.jpg

bodyhard
01-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Some one just posted on that other board wearing these. If I ever wear these please kick my ass!

What the fuck are they for swimming?

Capt_lou
01-29-2010, 03:30 PM
What the fuck are they for swimming?

They said that they lift in them :dunno:

AnglicanBeachParty
01-29-2010, 03:49 PM

They do not look 45-pound-plate-proof!

bodyhard
01-29-2010, 03:51 PM

I wonder for what fucking reason?

Bob45
01-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Maybe they went good with his clingy shorts.

Capt_lou
01-31-2010, 10:09 AM
Delt/traps yesterday pretty good session..no huge PR's or anything but the amount of calories I was burning was off the chart. Total refeed last night, as we had a birthday party for my girl friends sister. 14oz steak, mashed potatoes and a ton of appetizers :yep:

Overhead press on smith - weight only
90 for 8
140 for 8
180 for 8
200 for 5
200 for 6

Front DB raises
45 for 8
50 for 8
50 for 7

Seated side DB's
40 for 8
45 for 7
45 for 6

Reverse Pec Deck
145 for 8
160 for 7
160 for 6
160 for 6

DB Shrugs
95 for 8
105 for 8
115 for 8
125 for 8
135 for 8

Hammer Strength presses - weight per side
45 for 15
90 for 12
100 for 12

fatbackgoal
01-31-2010, 10:13 AM

One of the trainers at my gym wears them. He said they are pretty comfortable to wear. I wouldn't mind squatting or deadlifting in them.

fatbackgoal
01-31-2010, 10:13 AM
Delt/traps yesterday pretty good session..no huge PR's or anything but the amount of calories I was burning was off the chart. Total refeed last night, as we had a birthday party for my girl friends sister. 14oz steak, mashed potatoes and a ton of appetizers :yep:

Overhead press on smith - weight only
90 for 8
140 for 8
180 for 8
200 for 5
200 for 6

Front DB raises
45 for 8
50 for 8
50 for 7

Seated side DB's
40 for 8
45 for 7
45 for 6

Reverse Pec Deck
145 for 8
160 for 7
160 for 6
160 for 6

DB Shrugs
95 for 8
105 for 8
115 for 8
125 for 8
135 for 8

Hammer Strength presses - weight per side
45 for 15
90 for 12
100 for 12

Good solid workout and hopefully the appetizers were good!

Capt_lou
02-01-2010, 08:34 AM
One of the trainers at my gym wears them. He said they are pretty comfortable to wear. I wouldn't mind squatting or deadlifting in them.

I don't think I could wear something with toes built into them..might as wear those toe socks lol

Good solid workout and hopefully the appetizers were good!

Apps were real good...main course was just ok.

Fried my hammies last night with just 2 exercises lol. But my lower back paid for it with the SLDL's next week it will just be 5-6 glute ham raises to give it a little break.

SLDL
135 for 8
225 for 8
315 for 8
315 for 8
315 for 5

Seated Leg curl - 1 leg at a time
70 for 12
90 for 8
90 for 8
90 to 70 to 50 drop set

Calf Raises on leg press machine
230 for 12
270 for 12
310 for 12
330 for 12

Cardio - HIIT for 20 min

Capt_lou
02-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Well met with the trainer last night and I think I am going to start working with him 1 day a week on different stuff. He suggested to do a 12 week bulk and see where I am at. i agree with him that to put on as much mass as I can then contest prep. So on Thursday I am meeting with his power lifting trainer and going over a ton of compound movements. Before anyone ask if he has trained anyone for BB comps, Yea he has women and men. http://assets.bodybuilding.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif After I am done with this bulk, we will shred up and I will start to work with his posing coach. I think the plan is coming together at this point and I am getting my team situated around me to help guide me through this process.

Chest/Bi's - Forgot my book at home so no idea on the weights I used http://assets.bodybuilding.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Incline DB presses
1 - warm-up set
4 working sets

Incline Flys
3 - Working sets

High Cable Cross Overs
3 working sets

Low cable crossovers
3 working sets

Straight bar curls
1 warm-up set
3 working sets

Cable cross body hammer curls
3 working sets

High Cable curls
3 working sets

bodyhard
02-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Well met with the trainer last night and I think I am going to start working with him 1 day a week on different stuff. He suggested to do a 12 week bulk and see where I am at. i agree with him that to put on as much mass as I can then contest prep. So on Thursday I am meeting with his power lifting trainer and going over a ton of compound movements. Before anyone ask if he has trained anyone for BB comps, Yea he has women and men. http://assets.bodybuilding.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif After I am done with this bulk, we will shred up and I will start to work with his posing coach. I think the plan is coming together at this point and I am getting my team situated around me to help guide me through this process.

Chest/Bi's - Forgot my book at home so no idea on the weights I used http://assets.bodybuilding.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Incline DB presses
1 - warm-up set
4 working sets

Incline Flys
3 - Working sets

High Cable Cross Overs
3 working sets

Low cable crossovers
3 working sets

Straight bar curls
1 warm-up set
3 working sets

Cable cross body hammer curls
3 working sets

High Cable curls
3 working sets

I agree with the power-lifting style training for added mass.

Capt_lou
02-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Well another Quad and Calf day with 3 sets of hams thrown in there with the advice of my trainer. It was certainly fun eating 3500 calories yesterday lol...I love bulking :D

Front Squats
90 for 8
110 for 8
140 for 8
160 for 4
160 for 4

Leg Press
360 for 8
450 for 8
540 for 8
630 for 8
630 for 8