Squats: 315 x 6
Vertical Squat Press: 400 x 12
Extensions: 100 x 25
Repeat
Prone Leg Curls: 130 x 6
Dumbbell Stiff Leg Deadlifts: 80 x 12
Hypers: x 25
Repeat

This workout kicked my ass. The extensions were slow and deliberate until about 13 or 14, then just move the fuckers...God, serious burn...hahahahah
Fell walking to dumbbell rack after leg curls...quad just gave out....hahahahha
Had to keep knees LOCKED during stiff legs!
Back cramped on drive back to office....hahahahha...had the seat back like I was getting ready for a driveby...hahahah...where's my gat? Oh, that shit, swerving into oncoming traffic....hahahahah
got into office...drank my recovery drink and PASSED OUT.....for 40 minutes....UPS knocking on door....hahahahah...Yes, baby this is what it is all about!

Got to love it!

axioma
09-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Oh yea...I normally eat at 5 a.m, 7:00 and 9:30 and workout around 10:30. Got some food in me.
Partner had to workout at 7 so all I have in me is some protein I drank at 5 a.m. Gut check...literally.

Down4whatever
09-28-2010, 12:23 PM
I've been doing that V-squat machine like you posted above; I get the feeling that too much hamstring is involved. Do you tap the stopper each rep or pull up short of the stopper to isolate the quads?

This week, I played around with closer foot position to try to isolate, but I love the feel of burying each rep.

What do you feel are the benefit of giants sets? No rest between exercises I assume? Would this be a bad idea for me right now being in contest prep?

axioma
09-28-2010, 02:21 PM
I've been doing that V-squat machine like you posted above; I get the feeling that too much hamstring is involved. Do you tap the stopper each rep or pull up short of the stopper to isolate the quads? I don't like the plate loaded V-Squat by Hammer, it just feels like butt and hams with some knee thrown in, plus lower back gets tweaked a bit. However, I only like it if I can whack the peg and dig it out. We have been using the Vertical squat press by LifeFitness. We have maxed it out, but still good when preexhausted. Wish it had more weight, great machine. Nothing but vastus lateralis on that one.

This week, I played around with closer foot position to try to isolate, but I love the feel of burying each rep.

What do you feel are the benefit of giants sets? No rest between exercises I assume? Would this be a bad idea for me right now being in contest prep? Funny you should say that, we were saying this morning that this would be good precontest, HIIT aspect to it for sure. Trying to get the muscles to contract with that much blood and that much burn is just insane. Will really bring out the seperation.
Giant sets without any rest is about pushing it to the limits. You don't want to do that all the time! Even though you may goes balls out on straight sets, you are still recovering after the set and regrouping. I was wanting to regroup midway through the second exercise. I would say 3-4 weeks out, perfect.

Baldiewonkanobi
09-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Small freakin world. I saw a V squat machine for the very first time today at my new gym. I did one no weight practise rep. Do you stay rocked back on your heels?

Baldie

Down4whatever
09-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Funny you should say that, we were saying this morning that this would be good precontest, HIIT aspect to it for sure. Trying to get the muscles to contract with that much blood and that much burn is just insane. Will really bring out the seperation.
Giant sets without any rest is about pushing it to the limits. You don't want to do that all the time! Even though you may goes balls out on straight sets, you are still recovering after the set and regrouping. I was wanting to regroup midway through the second exercise. I would say 3-4 weeks out, perfect.

Awesome, thanks for the info, Matt. I'll give it a shot!

Small freakin world. I saw a V squat machine for the very first time today at my new gym. I did one no weight practise rep. Do you stay rocked back on your heels?

Baldie

If I can remain on my heels, I do, sometimes I have to move feet up on the platform to maintain flat foot. Then your back is slightly tweaked like Ax said :(

Did you like it?

KevinCouch
09-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Ax,
What's your weight up to now? 230? Looks like you'll be coming in the Master next year at 210-220. Look at last year's heavyweight class. You don't have a distended midsection and you have a nice flow to your physique..gonna be a good one for you!You're gonna kick some ass my friend. kevin

axioma
09-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Ax,
What's your weight up to now? 230? Looks like you'll be coming in the Master next year at 210-220. Look at last year's heavyweight class. You don't have a distended midsection and you have a nice flow to your physique..gonna be a good one for you!You're gonna kick some ass my friend. kevin

This depletion routine is taking it off me! I have lost 8lbs since Sunday-down to 220. that is fine, might even get down to 215 before I start my new "program". Ultimately if I can hit stage in the 210 area, great.
I will need a couple of years to grow into a real heavyweight, won't have the density and pop of the big boys. However, I hope to get noticed for the very reasons you pointed out. Thanks.

axioma
09-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Cardio x 30 minutes (maybe more this evening)
abs x 6 sets
calves x 10 sets

bryantone
09-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Your workouts are brutal. If I had a thread (and a physique) like you, I would post some progress pics:yep:

axioma
09-30-2010, 07:04 AM
I will, I will. gotta eat and get ready for shoulder and arms. little nervous, shoulder is really day by day.

Baldiewonkanobi
09-30-2010, 08:24 AM
....... won't have the density and pop of the big boys. However, I hope to get noticed for the very reasons you pointed out. Thanks.

Do not under estimate yourself. Your number placing in July had you hidden in the side curtains. A favorable lineup placement in 2011 along with your dead on aesthetics, and yes some added size, will no doubt have you right in the thick of the action.

Baldie

axioma
09-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the votes of confidence. This is really the time that you have to have a gut check. Precontest is no problem...already made the committment, just doing it. This is the time of year toughest for me, trying to add mass, increasing workload and/or intensity every workout AND doing it without AAS, that, IMO, is what makes the difference.

axioma
09-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Shoulder/Arm giant sets:
30 minutes cardio
Behind the neck presses (these hurt less than front): 225 x 6
Laterals: 30 x 12
Rear delt machine: 95 x 25
Repeat

Incline dumbbell curls: 40 x 6
Barbell curls: 95 x 12
low cable rope: 75 x 25
Repeat

Close grip bench: 245 x 6
Overhead cable extensions w/rope: 140 x 12
Rope pushdowns: 90 x 25
(last two exercises were on a machine that is really funky about the weight, says double, so shows like 75.5 or some bullshit, who knows? So, don't think I am really pushing ridiculous weight or anything)
Repeat

axioma
10-01-2010, 09:14 AM
I think I mentioned before that I have a torn left labrum, from 20+ years ago. Never had operation, don't have insurance. Well, I finally fucked it up big time.
After workout yesterday (which weakened it) I was tearing open the plastic wrap on a bundle of bottled waters and there was a metallic sounding pop that someone heard four feet away. I won't even get into the pain. Funny though, it went away really fast, just intense. I moved arm around, nothing.
Later, driving, made a turn with left arm and POW...

Waiting to see orthopod, they are like getting into shangra la or something...got to call in every favor to get in.

In the meantime, I wil continue to train, just find exercises that I can do. IF I have to have surgery, I will be out of contention this year...6 months before resuming heavy lifting.

axioma
10-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Today cardio 60 minutes:
30 minutes Stationary bike @ level 10 @ 80rpm.
30 minutes Stationary bike intervals:
8 minutes @ level 10 @ 90 rpm
2 minute climb @ level 25
8 minutes @ level 12 @ 85 rpm
2 minute climb @ level 20
8 minutes @ level 14 @ 80 rpm
2 minute climb @ level 20
cool down

Mac
10-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Sorry to hear this Ax. I didn't even know what a labrum is. Thanks Google. Take care of that so you can make the Masters next summer.

axioma
10-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Another juicy tidbit:
The Gold's gym that I trained in and did personal training just closed.
1. owner is convict (no offense Dave)
2. Managers (husband and wife) are scumbags
3. They owe me two months of personal training income.
They are loading equipment onto trucks....

axioma
10-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Sorry to hear this Ax. I didn't even know what a labrum is. Thanks Google. Take care of that so you can make the Masters next summer.

If I can baby it and continue I will. If not, then you won't see me until 2012

axioma
10-01-2010, 09:24 AM
The problem is the greater your pain threshold, the more damage you do. Someone else might go Fuck, get me to a doctor quick...I go, Let me finish this set...so, I will need some objective expert input to really assess the situation.

Mac
10-01-2010, 09:36 AM

Fucking scumbags is right!

This is the very reason I accept CASH for services rendered. About 10 years ago one of my biggest customers went out-of-business and left me with a very big unpaid bill. If I had that money now, I wouldn't be worrying about when the next sale is coming in.

Baldiewonkanobi
10-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Chit chit chit. I have been researching Dr. William Stetson (first ever to scope the shoulder) and see that he has some inovative surgeries for Labrum tears. He is the Doc who had me do lap swimming to repair a rotator cuff tear. Problem is that he is on the West Coast.

I guess it depends on your MRI and where and how bad the tear is. For those who are not familiar with this injury this is a good overall...

http://www.hopkinsortho.org/labrum_tear.html

Here's hoping that it is minor and can self heal.

Baldie

Baldiewonkanobi
10-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Another juicy tidbit:
The Gold's gym that I trained in and did personal training just closed.
1. owner is convict (no offense Dave)
2. Managers (husband and wife) are scumbags
They are loading equipment onto trucks....

This happened to a friend of mine and he quickly filed a lien on the equipment. They were unable to unload the equipment to others until they satisfied the lien.

Baldie

KevinCouch
10-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Do not under estimate yourself. Your number placing in July had you hidden in the side curtains. A favorable lineup placement in 2011 along with your dead on aesthetics, and yes some added size, will no doubt have you right in the thick of the action.

Baldie

I agree Baldie 100%.

Down4whatever
10-01-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm seriously bummed for you Matt. Hope the prognosis is one that allows you to still achieve your 2011 goals!

That description makes me want to really back it down on my shoulder work so mine can heal before it's too late....:hypno:

KevinCouch
10-01-2010, 10:25 AM
I think I mentioned before that I have a torn left labrum, from 20+ years ago. Never had operation, don't have insurance. Well, I finally fucked it up big time.
After workout yesterday (which weakened it) I was tearing open the plastic wrap on a bundle of bottled waters and there was a metallic sounding pop that someone heard four feet away. I won't even get into the pain. Funny though, it went away really fast, just intense. I moved arm around, nothing.
Later, driving, made a turn with left arm and POW...

Waiting to see orthopod, they are like getting into shangra la or something...got to call in every favor to get in.

In the meantime, I wil continue to train, just find exercises that I can do. IF I have to have surgery, I will be out of contention this year...6 months before resuming heavy lifting.

Matt...I hate to hear that happened to you...seems like we're all falling prey to these injuries. Hopefully you won't need surgery and you can get back in the gym sooner rather than later. I'm pulling for you....Believe me I feel your pain....
kevin

Hammerfit
10-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Damn Matt Im sorry to hear of the muscle tear and hope its not torn completely. I have had a partial for a while and train around it. I know I dont need to tell you this but get a couple of opinions before you opt for the surgery.

Praying everything works out for ya, please keep me updated on your progress.

Hammerfit
10-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Chit chit chit. I have been researching Dr. William Stetson (first ever to scope the shoulder) and see that he has some inovative surgeries for Labrum tears. He is the Doc who had me do lap swimming to repair a rotator cuff tear. Problem is that he is on the West Coast.

I guess it depends on your MRI and where and how bad the tear is. For those who are not familiar with this injury this is a good overall...

http://www.hopkinsortho.org/labrum_tear.html

Here's hoping that it is minor and can self heal.

Baldie

great article Bill

Mac
10-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Now we have Attila on the injured list too.

Maybe I better not try 10 plates on hacks today!

But here is something to think about Lots of Reps (http://www.ergo-log.com/lotsofreps.html)

axioma
10-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Wow, thanks for all the support. Yes, feeling bummed. I'll be okay. I will get a couple of opinions, hoping it is just aggravating the old injury and not made it worse.
Been awhile since I had stupid shit like reaching for the pepper stop me dead in my tracks...
I already ascertained what will and won't aggravate upper body. The big IF is the lack of stability in heavier movements. I will do the Glycogen Deplete Routine tomorrow...it will be an ass kicker. Not so much a problem for the shoulder, but a real gut check.

axioma
10-01-2010, 01:34 PM
I took a client through the GlyDeplete routine this a.m. We went through it really slow, just using warm-up weights to loosen him up. I noticed he was already breathing hard.....jeez, I said, we will just do it one time (instead of two rotations) and just use your warm up weights (instead of max weight for prescribed reps). He puked.

axioma
10-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Here's the routine:
Full Squats x 15
Leg Curls x 15
Extensions x 15
Seated calf x 20
Bench Press x 12
Bent bar row x 12
military press x 12
close grip pulldown x 15
incline tricep extensions x 10
barbell curls x 10
hyperextension x 25
kneeling rope crunch x 25
Repeat

koruverde
10-01-2010, 06:06 PM

Baldie
TOTALLY agree!!!!

joedemarco
10-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Matt, hope you make a quick recovery.

axioma
10-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Had a friend call in a favor and had one of the top shoulder guys in the region give me a call over the weekend. Hope to get into see him this week, get some closure.

The GlyDep workout was grueling to say the least...wiped out for half of saturday.

Sunday, worked on my rotator cuff exercises, Mr. Miagee style...waxed the truck. "wax on...wax off"...serious burn but seemed to help.

Today, tension workout for legs...120+ seconds under constant tension on leg presses...sick.

bryantone
10-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Whats this tension leg press? can you explain it? sounds like something interesting. would it work on my hack too?

axioma
10-04-2010, 08:03 AM
Yes, pick a weight that you can get 20 reps on, then do 20 reps...BUT take 4 seconds down and 4 seconds up...constant moving...NO pause at top.
I do it on leg press, extensions x 15 and leg curls x 15. two sets ea.

Mac
10-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Yes, pick a weight that you can get 20 reps on, then do 20 reps...BUT take 4 seconds down and 4 seconds up...constant moving...NO pause at top.
I do it on leg press, extensions x 15 and leg curls x 15. two sets ea.

These are killer, although I may max at 15 reps. I do them without a lockout and keep constant tension on the muscle. I get more out of these than heavy and lower reps sets.

Baldiewonkanobi
10-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Would you dare do these after squats? Squat day here in one hour and I get an xtra day off tomorrow traveling to the Right Coast.

Baldie

axioma
10-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Would you dare do these after squats? Squat day here in one hour and I get an xtra day off tomorrow traveling to the Right Coast.

Baldie

Yea, why not...test of control. Completely different fiber stimulation.

axioma
10-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Lower Body Tension
Leg Press: 525 x 10, 20 reps
Extensions: 150 x 15 x 2
Single Leg curls: 80 x 15 x 2
Calf Raise Static Hold: 450 x 90 seconds
Hanging leg raise (legs straight = right angle): 65 seconds
30 minutes cardio

Tremendous pump....more stimulation that a typical leg press. My entire body was convulsing like an epileptic seizure on number 15 on the second set of legs...awesome.

KevinCouch
10-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Lower Body Tension
Extensions: 150 x 15 x 2
Single Leg curls: 80 x 15 x 2
Calf Raise Static Hold: 450 x 90 seconds
Hanging leg raise (legs straight = right angle): 65 seconds
30 minutes cardio

Tremendous pump....more stimulation that a typical leg press. My entire body was convulsing like an epileptic seizure on number 15 on the second set of legs...awesome.

Ax, Do you cycle these kind of workouts and cardio in every year right before you go into your mass gain offseason mode? You're probably pretty lean right now i'd say before you start putting on the mass.

BTW: What the damage on your shoulder? Have you heard?

axioma
10-04-2010, 01:31 PM
I will meet with orthopod this week and MRI will determine extent of damage. However, based on the "wax on, wax off" rehab this weekend, I may be able to get by with strengthening rotator cuff...? I hope.

I do cycle these workouts in two or three times a year. I will do this again before precontest, between mass and cutting...again to just prime myself.

Kicking around the idea of structuring this workout for the last six weeks before a contest....gotta think about it...

bryantone
10-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Matt, I will do these at the end of next month. I am in the middle of the routine you set up for me. I could not move the leg day to Monday because tues/weds I need stable legs to climb, otherwise the trip down would be bad. I have been getting DOMS for a solid 4 days straight since adding those 4 extra sets.

axioma
10-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Stick w/ routine, however you can easily insert a tension workout every third or fourth workout. The DOMS could be about stretching, hydration and electrolytes as well. You will get used to it, sounds like you are shocking the shit out of the muscle...excellent.

axioma
10-05-2010, 08:54 AM
[quote=Hammerfit;1184588]I'm glad you brought this up. The salon where I get my hair cut offers message and they're always are chatting me up to get a message and God knows I need it. Im sure it would help my legs and hips. They charge $ 40. give me some advice on what to look for. Is this something insurance would pay for?[/

$40 is worth the risk...hey, at the very least you will relax and get a nap, lol. That is actually what happened the last time I got a massage!
Just see what happens and feel free to say, you can hit that a with more pressure or that seems like a trigger point and see how she responds. If you give these suggestions and she doesn't capitalize on them, then move on to the another therapist.

freebirdmac
10-05-2010, 09:47 AM

10 sets?! Each with the 4 sec pace negative and positive :eek:

axioma
10-05-2010, 11:44 AM

10 sets?! Each with the 4 sec pace negative and positive :eek:

No, that would be 10 x 20reps:flowers: I picked a weight that would be a hard 10 reps at the 4 second up/down cadence and did it as a warm-up. then I push myself to get it 20 reps...that was delicious:yep:

axioma
10-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Upper body tension: 8 second reps
Bench Press: 245 x 10 x 2
Wide grip pullups: 12, 9 x 2
iso-lateral incline press: 100lbs ea. side x 12 x 2
iso-lateral low rows: 100lbs. ea. side x 12 x 2
cable x-overs: 60 x 15 x 2
dumbbell shrugs: 105 x 15 x 2

216lbs. this a.m.

freebirdmac
10-05-2010, 12:23 PM
No, that would be 10 x 20reps:flowers: I picked a weight that would be a hard 10 reps at the 4 second up/down cadence and did it as a warm-up. then I push myself to get it 20 reps...that was delicious:yep:

Whew! I was going to say :puke:

Hammerfit
10-05-2010, 12:27 PM
[quote=Hammerfit;1184588]I'm glad you brought this up. The salon where I get my hair cut offers message and they're always are chatting me up to get a message and God knows I need it. Im sure it would help my legs and hips. They charge $ 40. give me some advice on what to look for. Is this something insurance would pay for?[/

$40 is worth the risk...hey, at the very least you will relax and get a nap, lol. That is actually what happened the last time I got a massage!
Just see what happens and feel free to say, you can hit that a with more pressure or that seems like a trigger point and see how she responds. If you give these suggestions and she doesn't capitalize on them, then move on to the another therapist.

Thanks I'll give that a try

axioma
10-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Today: cardio
TrueFitness Strider
30 minutes HR up to 165 then back down.

axioma
10-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Good God, just read attila's thread: the guy is hurt and he is BBrowing 495lbs., shrugging a grand! Upright rows with 245? Geez.
Just read Kevin Couch's thread: he is "fat" and "bloated" and feels "disgusted" by what he sees....reality check, the guy could win contests in that shape!
Really starting to wonder if I am floating around in a parallel universe where I am close, but no cigar.....

bryantone
10-07-2010, 08:11 AM
You are real close. The weight class you are in is real competative with the most bbrs. Our height can be a problem. For me to compete, I would have to weigh at least 230lbs at 5'-10". I weight 200 now and am going to cut down to 185-190lbs to get rid of the last of my stomach fat. I dont see me gaining 40lbs of muscle at my age naturally. Too much work and diet etc. If bb is a major part of your life, and a pro card is your goal, then go for it. You have a good structure and are almost there. My goal is to look physically fit for any age and be able to do my hobbies into my old(er) age. These 16-18 set lifting routines are starting to make my knees ache. Is ther any sups that actually work to help that? (Idont do Ibuprofin etc anymore). Can I use my stairmaster after workouts again as it seemed to keep my knees lubed up? I stopped using it when I increases my sets because I was smelling like ammonia 5 minites into a 40 minite stair set.

Mac
10-07-2010, 08:16 AM
These 16-18 set lifting routines are starting to make my knees ache. Is ther any sups that actually work to help that?

Fish oils help lubricate your joints. Don't obliterate your estrogen levels and drop them into the crapper.

Hammerfit
10-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Fish oils help lubricate your joints. Don't obliterate your estrogen levels and drop them into the crapper.

and glucosomine

KevinCouch
10-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Good God, just read attila's thread: the guy is hurt and he is BBrowing 495lbs., shrugging a grand! Upright rows with 245? Geez.
Just read Kevin Couch's thread: he is "fat" and "bloated" and feels "disgusted" by what he sees....reality check, the guy could win contests in that shape!
Really starting to wonder if I am floating around in a parallel universe where I am close, but no cigar.....

OK, my friend you need also need a reality check! You are on your way. You've got what it takes, good muscularity, great symmetry and round muscle bellies. Exactly what the judges are looking for. Just dial your conditioning in and you WILL BE THERE! Barring no more injuries for any of us we're all going to be there at the 2011 Master Nationals in July and I know Ax you will kick some ass. Just Stay FOCUSED and you will be at your 210-215 bodyweight and shredded my friend.
Kevin

Mac
10-07-2010, 09:56 AM
OK, my friend you need also need a reality check!

Ax is right. You stating you're bloated, fat and disgusted makes us mere mortals say WTF.

axioma
10-07-2010, 10:03 AM
You are real close. The weight class you are in is real competative with the most bbrs. Our height can be a problem. For me to compete, I would have to weigh at least 230lbs at 5'-10". I weight 200 now and am going to cut down to 185-190lbs to get rid of the last of my stomach fat. I dont see me gaining 40lbs of muscle at my age naturally. Too much work and diet etc. If bb is a major part of your life, and a pro card is your goal, then go for it. You have a good structure and are almost there. My goal is to look physically fit for any age and be able to do my hobbies into my old(er) age. These 16-18 set lifting routines are starting to make my knees ache. Is ther any sups that actually work to help that? (Idont do Ibuprofin etc anymore). Can I use my stairmaster after workouts again as it seemed to keep my knees lubed up? I stopped using it when I increases my sets because I was smelling like ammonia 5 minites into a 40 minite stair set.

Drop back to 12 sets for quads, and don't be afraid to take a week or two and circuit train. Hell, bodyweight for a week. fish oils, glucosomine, all help. just take plenty of time to warm-up as well. sometimes my parnter gets a little impatient because i need twice as many warm-ups as he does. 20+ years makes a difference.

axioma
10-07-2010, 10:07 AM
My main concern at this point is NOT winning masters or getting a procard, but to achieve the physique I have in my mind.
It is there...did I wait too long to begin my masterpiece? That is the question, can I survive the process?
I am not interested in getting on stage at 50, competing is really about the "grand opening" the "unveiling" of the object de art.
Can the artist endure?

axioma
10-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Off to the gym for the second (an last for now!) glycogen deplete workout. Tomorrow rest and carb load, then friday a loaded routine of heavy bench, deads and squats.
Ending weight after two weeks is 214.6 (13+lbs lost).
I will throw in the measurements this weekend.

Hammerfit
10-07-2010, 10:15 AM
My main concern at this point is NOT winning masters or getting a procard, but to achieve the physique I have in my mind.
It is there...did I wait too long to begin my masterpiece? That is the question, can I survive the process?
I am not interested in getting on stage at 50, competing is really about the "grand opening" the "unveiling" of the object de art.
Can the artist endure?

Ha at 55 Im thinking my master piece isnt going to be ready until Im 60!

KevinCouch
10-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Ax is right. You stating you're bloated, fat and disgusted makes us mere mortals say WTF.

Just trying to give Ax some TRUE encouraging words. He does have what it takes to go to the Master next year and do very well! Concerning my recent photo, I seriously posted it as a before pic and had planned to post a pic or two every month so I can monitor my progress as well as get everyone on this forum's feedback along the way. I really value all of your opinions. I hear what you are saying Mac maybe I shouldn't have elaborated my own thoughts of my physique. Sorry Man!

axioma
10-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Ha at 55 Im thinking my master piece isnt going to be ready until Im 60!

Yes, and that is why I would even remotely consider competing. There are two schools of thought, one is that you have the finished product firmly in your mind, and you KNOW when you have attained it. I think Arnold knew in '73, Zane in '78...and so forth. the other is process driven, in that you never attain it, just keep hammering away.
I really just started this journey in earnest in '08, so only two years under my belt. Most Masters competing have 10+ years. I believe it takes 10 years of consistent lifting to reach your full potential. That would put me at 53. Not old by any means, but not young either. Will my body still look "young" and manifest the vision? That is the question. Can I get body and mind to meet before one or the other says NO?

Hammerfit
10-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Yes, and that is why I would even remotely consider competing. There are two schools of thought, one is that you have the finished product firmly in your mind, and you KNOW when you have attained it. I think Arnold knew in '73, Zane in '78...and so forth. the other is process driven, in that you never attain it, just keep hammering away.
I really just started this journey in earnest in '08, so only two years under my belt. Most Masters competing have 10+ years. I believe it takes 10 years of consistent lifting to reach your full potential. That would put me at 53. Not old by any means, but not young either. Will my body still look "young" and manifest the vision? That is the question. Can I get body and mind to meet before one or the other says NO?

Im right there with ya, my first comp was last year at 54

axioma
10-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Just trying to give Ax some TRUE encouraging words. He does have what it takes to go to the Master next year and do very well! Concerning my recent photo, I seriously posted it as a before pic and had planned to post a pic or two every month so I can monitor my progress as well as get everyone on this forum's feedback along the way. I really value all of your opinions. I hear what you are saying Mac maybe I shouldn't have elaborated my own thoughts of my physique. Sorry Man!

I do appreciate it, keep doing what you are doing bro. You ARE light years ahead of most of us here, nothing to apologize for or moderate. Your physique may or may not be pro calibre, that is ultimately not in your hands, HOWEVER you DO have a physique that would be on the cover of every major muscle mag in early 80's. That is not to negate what you have achieved, just IMHO that was the zenith of mass and aesthetics and conditioning. Live the dream.

Mac
10-07-2010, 10:57 AM

Nothing to be sorry about Kevin. Indeed Ax has what it takes, as do you. It's just that your fat atrophied condition is better than most of us dream to achieve in a lifetime. Those are TRUE words and I am here to encourage everyone.

KevinCouch
10-07-2010, 11:45 AM
I do appreciate it, keep doing what you are doing bro. You ARE light years ahead of most of us here, nothing to apologize for or moderate. Your physique may or may not be pro calibre, that is ultimately not in your hands, HOWEVER you DO have a physique that would be on the cover of every major muscle mag in early 80's. That is not to negate what you have achieved, just IMHO that was the zenith of mass and aesthetics and conditioning. Live the dream.

Ax, just like you, I also have my own view of what I ulimately want my physique to look like. You hit the nail on the head. I want to have a physique like Lee Lebrada or Francis Benfatto guys like that who never weighed over 190 pounds and they are both around my height. Those guys now wouldn't even place in the top 5 of the 202s nowadays. I know that reality is my age, size and genetic structure doesn't lend me to be a mass monster which is what it takes today to be successful in Pro BB. I want to achieve my personal best and I know at this year's Master Nats was not it. I think I was on my way training for the Nationals but even if I ever do get a pro card, I have a full-time job, family to think about first and I am not willing to do the things to my body required to do well as a pro today. I want to have a well-balanced life with BB being only being a part of it. I am going to keep plugging away and do my best to come in my personal best as a middleweight (10-12 pounds heavier) at next year's Masters and if I don't win, I would NOT be dissapointed because I did the best I could do with what I have and achieved my personal best.

axioma
10-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Deplete circuit:
Full Squats x 15 @ 350lbs.
Leg Curls x 15 @ 140
Extensions x 15 @ 190
Seated calf x 20 @ 90
Bench Press x 12 @ 350 (used machine stack)
Bent bar row x 12 @ 245
military press x 12 @ 290 (used machine press, palms facing, better on shoulder)
close grip pulldown x 15 @ 220
incline tricep extensions x 10 @ 110 (used extension machine)
barbell curls x 10 @ 110
hyperextension x 25
kneeling rope crunch x 25
Repeat

OK, I think if I say something works, it works...at least for me. I used a product we sell today, never tried it before, IMPACT. A friend of mine designed it and manufactures it himself, I know that it is EXACTLY as it should be. We sell it on our site. It is designed for endurance athletes, however I have been saying the cordyceps has benefits for lifters too. Decided that today would be a great test. I went up on some poundages, but more significantly I got through it easier! Not AS gassed. It was a bitch, don't get me wrong, however I felt like I was moving the routine instead of the routine moving me. I would still take an arginine product with it, I combined mine with SSIN Juice.

Hammerfit
10-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Ax, just like you, I also have my own view of what I ulimately want my physique to look like. You hit the nail on the head. I want to have a physique like Lee Lebrada or Francis Benfatto guys like that who never weighed over 190 pounds and they are both around my height. Those guys now wouldn't even place in the top 5 of the 202s nowadays. I know that reality is my age, size and genetic structure doesn't lend me to be a mass monster which is what it takes today to be successful in Pro BB. I want to achieve my personal best and I know at this year's Master Nats was not it. I think I was on my way training for the Nationals but even if I ever do get a pro card, I have a full-time job, family to think about first and I am not willing to do the things to my body required to do well as a pro today. I want to have a well-balanced life with BB being only being a part of it. I am going to keep plugging away and do my best to come in my personal best as a middleweight (10-12 pounds heavier) at next year's Masters and if I don't win, I would NOT be dissapointed because I did the best I could do with what I have and achieved my personal best.

very well said Kevin

bryantone
10-07-2010, 06:54 PM
MAC!!! you just answered my problem. The trib product I started using a couple of weeks ago, Blue Up stim free....has DIM a estrogen blocker. estrogen lubes joints. I will give it to one of my friends at work.

axioma
10-08-2010, 08:22 AM
I tend to get really achy, more than ususal, running PCT.

Mac
10-08-2010, 08:25 AM
MAC!!! you just answered my problem. The trib product I started using a couple of weeks ago, Blue Up stim free....has DIM a estrogen blocker. estrogen lubes joints. I will give it to one of my friends at work.

Take some extra DHEA, which should increase T, and E as well.

A sure sign of low E is low libido. I am not familiar with DIM or Blue Up and how effective it is at blocking estrogen.

axioma
10-08-2010, 08:37 AM
This is why you should "blunt" not block you estrogen for the most part. The AI's are really effective, even the OTC stuff. Precontest, my libido is in the toilet. Post contest....like a wabbit!
I never got much from DHEA, however ZMA and arginine have always worked very well.

axioma
10-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Doing my carb load gradual and with restraint. Will consume about 1000 grams of carbs between now and tomorrows workout.

Mac
10-08-2010, 09:13 AM
I never got much from DHEA, however ZMA and arginine have always worked very well.

ZMA and arginine for the win!

How much DHEA did you take? You're still young and levels are still adequate.

I need 100mg ED and I certainly FEEL it in the morning after taking it.

KevinCouch
10-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Doing my carb load gradual and with restraint. Will consume about 1000 grams of carbs between now and tomorrows workout.

How many days of carb loading will you do before you get on your offseason diet?

Hammerfit
10-08-2010, 10:25 AM

Holy smokes 1000 grams of carbs? What are you doing, eating all day long?

bryantone
10-08-2010, 12:01 PM
My "drive" has been and is high. I have never experianced a loss of libido even after surgery and on pain meds. It must have a mind of his own. I use ZMA sometimes as a sleep aid. I will increase the dhea for a while. Matt, if you need help with those carbs, I can eat a lemon cake with whip cream frosting and orange peel grindings sprinkled on top.

axioma
10-08-2010, 01:54 PM
How many days of carb loading will you do before you get on your offseason diet?

Carbing just today and through workout tomorrow. After that off season diet of about 500 carbs daily...yes, eating constantly, grazing...just ate a heap of potato salad....going to pick up a six pack of Ranger IPA and Sweetwater 420 (it's 420 somewhere right?) Not lethargic....yet.

Hammerfit
10-09-2010, 09:06 AM

Carbing just today and through workout tomorrow. After that off season diet of about 500 carbs daily...yes, eating constantly, grazing...just ate a heap of potato salad....going to pick up a six pack of Ranger IPA and Sweetwater 420 (it's 420 somewhere right?) Not lethargic....yet.

Are you feeling like a blimp yet?! I got new weight loss secret, called the flu! Lost 9 lbs this past week. Not what I wanted.

Mac
10-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Are you feeling like a blimp yet?! I got new weight loss secret, called the flu! Lost 9 lbs this past week. Not what I wanted.

F**K that. You were training while you had the flu?

axioma
10-11-2010, 07:56 AM
Actually felt really good, not too lethargic...just some horrendous farts...kind that wake you up in the night...WTF? WMD's????? Topped out at 225 Saturday morning for loaded routine. funny story, I will share when I get back.

axioma
10-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Saturday Loaded Routine:
Squat 5x5 Last set 465 x 4 (*funny story)
Bench 5x5 Last set 355 x 5 (PR)
Rack Pulls 5x6 Last set 495, then drop 405 x 20

Started doing squats and legs felt really sluggish, wondering wtf is going on? After all is said and done, realize we had done high rep squats (350 x 15) 48 hours earlier.
So I am on my last set of squats, sinking it deep and on rep 5 I hit the wall coming out of the hole. My partner had never experienced me stalling that abruptly and it caught him off guard.
I went down, bar hit the side rails and bounced up. I caught myself and my head was above level of side rails and
BAM, 465 in the back of the head. Holy Shit that hurt!
Took me awhile to get my bearings, but the guys were loving it..."did you hear the thud when it hit his head".....I started laughing hysterically, always do...freaks people out.
Got up, splashed water on my face and said let's bench fellas. Got a PR....good day.

Hammerfit
10-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Saturday Loaded Routine:

Started doing squats and legs felt really sluggish, wondering wtf is going on? After all is said and done, realize we had done high rep squats (350 x 15) 48 hours earlier.
So I am on my last set of squats, sinking it deep and on rep 5 I hit the wall coming out of the hole. My partner had never experienced me stalling that abruptly and it caught him off guard.
I went down, bar hit the side rails and bounced up. I caught myself and my head was above level of side rails and
Took me awhile to get my bearings, but the guys were loving it..."did you hear the thud when it hit his head".....I started laughing hysterically, always do...freaks people out.
Got up, splashed water on my face and said let's bench fellas. Got a PR....good day.

Holy Smokes! Your spotter needs his ass chewed! Great job on the PR

v1hyp
10-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Saturday Loaded Routine:

Funny story. Good to hear that no one got hurt!

axioma
10-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Started new Hypertrophy cycle:
Incline dumbbell press: 3 x 12 @ 110
Incline barbell press: 3 x 12 @ 255
Flat Hammer Press: 3 x 12 @ 275
Dips: 3 x 12
X-overs: 4 x 12

I will stay in 12 rep range this week. Next week 10 reps, next week 8 reps and then stay in 8 range for next 5 weeks.

axioma
10-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Doc never called me...orthopods are prima dona's...

I am dealing with it, just being super careful, not breaking 90deg. on pressing. Doing several "feel out" sets to figure the plane of movement that is best. Got a couple of little jolts today, but regrouped and got a great workout.

bryantone
10-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Funny story. Good to hear that no one got hurt!
Note.. He did say it hit his head. Anywhere else would be of concern. What is a hypertrophy cycle?

axioma
10-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Note.. He did say it hit his head. Anywhere else would be of concern. What is a hypertrophy cycle?

Hypertrophy cycle will be 8 weeks and designed to maximize growth. I am using the CKWD as a jump off point, getting a rebound. That is why I am going from 12 reps down to 8 reps over the next 8 weeks. I will take two weeks off which will be the time I am in Honduras. When I get back I will do the CKWD program for two-four weeks and begin another mass/strength cycle of 6-8 reps.

axioma
10-12-2010, 10:46 AM
10/12/10 Back Training
Reverse grip Hammer Pulldowns: 3 x 12 @ 115 per side
Dumbbell rows: 90 x 3 x 12
Rack Pulls: 3 x 12 @ 385
seated cable rows: 3 x 12 @ 220

axioma
10-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Ortho called yesterday and got into see him this morning. Exam would indicate frayed or torn labrum, x-rays showed no arthritis or degeneration. Scheduling MRI next.

Mac
10-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Ortho called yesterday and got into see him this morning. Exam would indicate frayed or torn labrum, x-rays showed no arthritis or degeneration. Scheduling MRI next.

Frayed or torn can heal and would be better than arthritis or degeneration.

Maybe it's just strained and neither of the above.

axioma
10-12-2010, 11:06 AM
yes, the ortho seemed really relieved there was no degeneration. Heard about a dextrose based injection, ortho said he would look into it.

Hammerfit
10-12-2010, 12:00 PM

Good News!

axioma
10-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Rt Knee is really tight. Hurt it before MN and it has felt like it is full and could pop ever since. Always something. Did lots of stretching, warmups, etc, just feels compromised, especially in the squat, coming out of the hole.
Also, felt weak. Not used to this split, back before legs. Got to push it though.

Today:
Extensions: 4 x 12 WS 150
Squats: 3 x 12 WS 365 (just didn't feel right)
Press: 3 x 12 WS 700
Walking lunges: 30 yards x 3 w/hands behind head
Stiff leg deads: 3 x 12 WS 245
Leg Curls: 3 x 12 WS 150

Hammerfit
10-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Rt Knee is really tight. Hurt it before MN and it has felt like it is full and could pop ever since. Always something. Did lots of stretching, warmups, etc, just feels compromised, especially in the squat, coming out of the hole.
Also, felt weak. Not used to this split, back before legs. Got to push it though.

Today:
Extensions: 4 x 12 WS 150
Squats: 3 x 12 WS 365 (just didn't feel right)
Press: 3 x 12 WS 700
Walking lunges: 30 yards x 3 w/hands behind head
Stiff leg deads: 3 x 12 WS 245
Leg Curls: 3 x 12 WS 150

watch that knee bro, if you feel that before you squat...DONT! Hard to hear but you may need some rest. Listen to your body, sometimes we need to hear this from someone else, I know I do, I preach it but don't listen sometimes.

axioma
10-14-2010, 08:57 AM
i agree. hard finding something that didn't hurt this morning, not into 6a.m. squatting.

rcp1936
10-14-2010, 09:06 AM
watch that knee bro, if you feel that before you squat...DONT! Hard to hear but you may need some rest. Listen to your body, sometimes we need to hear this from someone else, I know I do, I preach it but don't listen sometimes.
Like a DR once told me when I was overtrained --running biking lifting without missing a workout in years 7 days a week even when sick but not running a fever--"Your body is trying to send you a message but you are not listening "

KevinCouch
10-14-2010, 09:27 AM
yes, the ortho seemed really relieved there was no degeneration. Heard about a dextrose based injection, ortho said he would look into it.

Gettin my dextrose injections (prolotherapy) next month! First, I thougt how and the hell could injecting sugar into an injury or degenerative tissue work. What it actually does it increases inflammation forcing your red blood cells to rush to the area and heal the area much faster than your body could on it's own. And it's natural so and not a corticosteroid which degenerates the tissues in the long run. Some Orthos actually inject HGH directly into the area along with the dextrose to speed up the healing process even faster. Don't know if your's is planning on doing this.
I'm getting both my knees done the first week of November and I'll let you know how it went. Apparently, the first couple of days after the first session you will be sore and swollen from the increased inflammation but it's temporary...(I've been told)
Kevin

axioma
10-14-2010, 10:57 AM
And the injections will hurt like a mutha! If you could PM the name of your ortho, that would be great, I will have my guy contact them for details.

axioma
10-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Weight this a.m.: 227.6

KevinCouch
10-14-2010, 11:37 AM
And the injections will hurt like a mutha! If you could PM the name of your ortho, that would be great, I will have my guy contact them for details.

I PM'd you just now. See your weight is back up to 227....

axioma
10-14-2010, 12:12 PM
yes, growing fast, which is exactly what I anticipated after the CKWD. Seriously jacked up metabolism. I am really trying to eat like I am 250lbs guy.

bryantone
10-14-2010, 07:54 PM
CKWD= cycled keto weightloss diet??? What is it?

axioma
10-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Cyclical Ketogenic Workout and Diet. Warrior on MD did a great job of starting it..I just changed my approach based on doing it for several years and taking 5 clients through a total of 20 cycles.

axioma
10-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Today: Arms
dumbbell preacher curls (steep side of bench): 3 x 12 x 30
Dumbbell hammer curls: 3 x 12 x 40
Incline dumbbell curls: palms facing forward and rotated out for maximum stretch: 3 x 12 x 35
Behind the back wrist curls: 3 x 15 x 155
EZ bar pushdowns: 3 x 12 x 72.4 (this is that stupid ass lifefitness stack, who knows how they figure this weight...feels like 150 or 160)
Close grip bench: (slight shoulder twinge): 3 x 12 x 255
Rope pushdowns: 3 x 12 x 62.5?
Overhead dumbbell tri ext's: 3 x 12 x 35
Great pump, felt like it gave my tendonitis a day off!

axioma
10-15-2010, 09:53 AM
228.6 this a.m. Still showing LOTS of veins and abs are present and accounted for, albeit a 1/2" blanket over them (this is a combination of Fat AND Hair)

Bryan Hildebrand
10-15-2010, 10:05 AM
hey ax, something to maybe try... I started having shoulder issues again just from heavy stuff all the time. try smith machine reverse grip movements for close grip and flat bench. helped my shoulders a ton. no pain at all. continue to lift heavy and using a 5x5 approach, I fel like I am making good progress.

good luck too.

axioma
10-15-2010, 12:20 PM
hey ax, something to maybe try... I started having shoulder issues again just from heavy stuff all the time. try smith machine reverse grip movements for close grip and flat bench. helped my shoulders a ton. no pain at all. continue to lift heavy and using a 5x5 approach, I fel like I am making good progress.

good luck too.

No such thing as coincidence, just read a study saying that it recruits more upper chest fibers than regular incline. I will do it next chest day, thanks.

Hammerfit
10-17-2010, 09:36 AM
No such thing as coincidence, just read a study saying that it recruits more upper chest fibers than regular incline. I will do it next chest day, thanks.

I have used close reverse grip for tris but never tried on incline..interesting.
I heard someone talk about Palumbo teaching to only lower the bar to chin level on the incline press to further stimulate the upper pec, havent tried yet but I will, I've always tried to use full ROM

axioma
10-18-2010, 08:38 AM
a.m. weight: 231.4

Chest
Incline dumbbell fly: 3 x 12 x 75
Incline bar press: 3 x 12-8 x 285
Dips: 3 x 12 x 25lbs
Machine Press: 3 x 12 x 270
Machine fly: 3 x 12 x 150

axioma
10-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Worked shoulders on Saturday: lots of light laterals, various angles, dumbbell and cable, trying to see what works, what aggravated shoulder.
Hammer shoulder press: 3 x 12 x 115 per side
superset:
upright cable rows w/rope and dumbell shrugs

Baldiewonkanobi
10-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Harry Pearl (Bills bigger brother) had me doing Neck Breakers in the Smith for upper pec. Set the bench (use plates to raise the bench if needed) and the stops so that the bar comes down resting on the stops to less than 1" from your Adams Apple. With a wider than normal grip do your presses.

Baldie

axioma
10-18-2010, 10:54 AM
I will try it, thanks. Seems like it will really keep the tension in the pec, less shoulder movement.

joedemarco
10-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Worked shoulders on Saturday: lots of light laterals, various angles, dumbbell and cable, trying to see what works, what aggravated shoulder.
Hammer shoulder press: 3 x 12 x 115 per side
superset:
upright cable rows w/rope and dumbell shrugs

How did the shoulder feel after this workout?

axioma
10-18-2010, 03:53 PM
joe, thanks for stopping by.
Actually, felt pretty good...took LOTS of warmup time and if anything felt suspect, I left it alone. As long as I work in one plane of motion, with little or no rotation, not too bad.
I hurt it worse getting something out of the cupboard than in a workout?

axioma
10-19-2010, 08:43 AM
http://forums.rxmuscle.com/images/okay/misc/navbits_start.gif (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/#) RX Muscle Forums (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/index.php) > RX Muscle Headquarters > MUSCLE CENTRAL http://forums.rxmuscle.com/images/okay/misc/navbits_finallink_ltr.gif This Is Bodybuilding.

Posted some thoughts/observations/rant on swede's this is bodybuilding thread on Central. Thought some of my masters brethren might "second that emotion" so to speak. Judges are REALLY out of touch with what a great physique is. F**** who might sell the most supplements or who MIGHT make a good pro...

KevinCouch
10-19-2010, 09:12 AM
http://forums.rxmuscle.com/images/okay/misc/navbits_start.gif (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/#) RX Muscle Forums (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/index.php) > RX Muscle Headquarters (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1) > MUSCLE CENTRAL (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2) http://forums.rxmuscle.com/images/okay/misc/navbits_finallink_ltr.gif (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=43995) This Is Bodybuilding.

Posted some thoughts/observations/rant on swede's this is bodybuilding thread on Central. Thought some of my masters brethren might "second that emotion" so to speak. Judges are REALLY out of touch with what a great physique is. F**** who might sell the most supplements or who MIGHT make a good pro...

You know I agree with you 100% Ax! They aren't looking for a classical symmetrical look even if you have all the the bodyparts to back it up.

Kevin

axioma
10-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Back
Hammer Pulldown, one arm at a time: 3 x 12 x 135
Hammer low row, one arm aat: 3 x 12 x 135 focusing on squeeze and contraction
t-bar row(old school, bar, v-bar handle) 3 x 10 x 5 plates
neutral grip seated cable rows: 3 x 12 +triple drop last set x 250
straight arm pulls w/rope: 3 x 12

axioma
10-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Oh, 30 minutes cardio

axioma
10-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Today:
30 minutes cardio
Incline situps: 25 x 3
Leg raises: 25 x 3
Seated calf raises: 90 x 20 x 5

joedemarco
10-20-2010, 11:12 AM
You know I agree with you 100% Ax! They aren't looking for a classical symmetrical look even if you have all the the bodyparts to back it up.

Kevin

Well the judges did have Danny Hester second in the welters and I didn't think his conditioning (especially from the rear) was even close to the top 3 or 4. I'm assuming his placing was based solely on his classical type physique. Of course in other classes, they totally missed the boat on some of the placings.

gman
10-20-2010, 11:44 AM
joe, thanks for stopping by.
Actually, felt pretty good...took LOTS of warmup time and if anything felt suspect, I left it alone. As long as I work in one plane of motion, with little or no rotation, not too bad.
I hurt it worse getting something out of the cupboard than in a workout?

I did the same kind of thing a while back, hurt my shoulder when trying to clip my back with my bodygroomer...twisted my arm funny trying to reach around. :hypno:

KevinCouch
10-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Well the judges did have Danny Hester second in the welters and I didn't think his conditioning (especially from the rear) was even close to the top 3 or 4. I'm assuming his placing was based solely on his classical type physique. Of course in other classes, they totally missed the boat on some of the placings.

You're right Danny was not in great condition but he does have a classical physique. Honestly, I think his name (popularity) and history at the Nationals placing in the top 3 like 3 or 4 times moved him up a few spots too! Unfortunately, we are dealing with politics as well. So if Danny does do the Masters Nationals in July he will automatically get a hard look from the judges and I hate to say it he'll probably place very high even if he's not shredded. I hate the "idea" of the NPC talking about paying his dues and deserves a pro card.

Don't get me wrong I think Danny Hester has a great physique with almost perfect symmetry but he does NOT come in as shredded as some of the others that place lower. Just my thoughts.

joedemarco
10-20-2010, 12:03 PM
You're right Danny was not in great condition but he does have a classical physique. Honestly, I think his name (popularity) and history at the Nationals placing in the top 3 like 3 or 4 times moved him up a few spots too! Unfortunately, we are dealing with politics as well. So if Danny does do the Masters Nationals in July he will automatically get a hard look from the judges and I hate to say it he'll probably place very high even if he's not shredded. I hate the "idea" of the NPC talking about paying his dues and deserves a pro card.

Don't get me wrong I think Danny Hester has a great physique with almost perfect symmetry but he does NOT come in as shredded as some of the others that place lower. Just my thoughts.

I agree with you Kevin. In fact, the last two shows that I saw Hester compete at, I was very surprised how smooth his hams/glutes were and yet he still placed very high. Don't get me wrong, he has an awesome physique, however these days you have to come in ripped also.

axioma
10-20-2010, 12:54 PM
This is exceptional. Usually conditioning wins over shape, symmetry. You are right, I can't tell you how many times I hear Dave interviewing someone and hear, "they have paid their dues, not the best, but hey, why not?" Makes me want to puke.

Not playing the race card here....well, yes I am, it seems that black physiques are the beneficiary of getting a nod with less than stellar conditioning. Go back and look at the hams and glutes at most of the guys from masters...smooth, smooth, smooth....like Barry White smooth.
That is why I am in this for me...to be my best. If the guy next to me has been there 5 freakin times, never improved, schmoes the judges, pops and locks and wears a freakin Charles Dickens stocking cap on his HEAD when he walks on stage and gets the nod?

axioma
10-20-2010, 01:02 PM
The way the sport is going...did I say sport? I mean the muscle pageant...with the addition of a physique division...I might end up there. They are saying it will be more like "Zane type" physiques? Hell, that is what I am after! So I will have relegate myself to wearing board shorts because I can't pack on 250lbs. of muscle on my frame?

I am really looking at this whole thing objectively. I step back, turn around and say...WTF? Bikini? I understand money, but what a slap in the fact to every women who has ever busted her ass to make a change in her physique...competes at the highest level and never gets that pro card...and some bimbo who doesn't know shit about diet and is working on her Zumba certification gets to make money as a pro?
I love lifting...I love it, but I really don't know how long I am willing to subject myself to the whims of pencil neck geeks who have never competed, dieted or suffered for bodybuilding.

KevinCouch
10-20-2010, 01:13 PM
This is exceptional. Usually conditioning wins over shape, symmetry. You are right, I can't tell you how many times I hear Dave interviewing someone and hear, "they have paid their dues, not the best, but hey, why not?" Makes me want to puke.

Not playing the race card here....well, yes I am, it seems that black physiques are the beneficiary of getting a nod with less than stellar conditioning. Go back and look at the hams and glutes at most of the guys from masters...smooth, smooth, smooth....like Barry White smooth.
That is why I am in this for me...to be my best. If the guy next to me has been there 5 freakin times, never improved, schmoes the judges, pops and locks and wears a freakin Charles Dickens stocking cap on his HEAD when he walks on stage and gets the nod?

While I was certainly happy with my placing in my weight class, just look at both pro cards that were handed out at the Masters. One was very smooth and not shredded at all, the other the exact opposite of a classical physique. I agree I heard alot of well "he paid his dues" he deserved it" I hear that both guys are very nice guys so nothing personal at all, just talking about how the judging goes.

axioma
10-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Exactly. A friend of mine who is VP of a supplement company based in Pitt, said, "get here a couple days early next year and i will introduce you so and so...got him laid, really cool...blah, blah...talking about the judges. I REALLY don't want to get to know these guys...just tell me that I am standing in front of bodybuilding veterans who recognize quality when they see it and are going to pick the physique that best satisfies the criteria. You sit in the audience...they get it right....almost all of the time...they will recognize the winner.

At last years State show, I had to get right behind the judges table and REMIND them to look at the total package...look at conditioning. Johnny Stewart's entourage were all rooting for big black ELVIS...jet black and smooth as a baby. Now he was big, but he had one leg half the size of the other, lacked a back and was about to pass out midway through posedown. They let it go on, Elvis pooped and said no mas and the light heavy won the show. You gotta fight for justice and fairness.

I just am getting more and more jaded with every contest I see.

Baldiewonkanobi
10-20-2010, 02:59 PM
I just am getting more and more jaded with every contest I see.

^^^

Thus the demise of the AAU where I was National Masters Chairman fighting a losing battle with the geeks and schmoes on the judging panels. Man do I have stories. The smaller the venue these days the worse the cronyism. The Olympia gets it mostly right. (based on the current mass above all things criteria which I hate).

Bob Paris today would be in the new IFBB Physique div. SHW? Troy Alves would be a man without a home. Super Zane.

Baldie

axioma
10-20-2010, 04:18 PM
I have a question for anyone dropping by:
do you believe that kioyshi moody is 100% natural?

Not trying to be a hater, however if he is, then I really need to think through what I am doing. I mean the guy would place top 5 in just about any show, natty or not, without the potential hazards and HASSLES of AAS!

I checked out his thread and there doesn't seem to be anything radically different, in fact, he seems to be working out with the kind of frequency and volume that only AAS guys could do and recover from. Legs 3x a week with drops and supersets, every set, EVERY workout?

This guys makes me want to go back to triathlons.

HeavyDutyGuy
10-21-2010, 01:20 AM

Not trying to be a hater, however if he is, then I really need to think through what I am doing. I mean the guy would place top 5 in just about any show, natty or not, without the potential hazards and HASSLES of AAS!

I checked out his thread and there doesn't seem to be anything radically different, in fact, he seems to be working out with the kind of frequency and volume that only AAS guys could do and recover from. Legs 3x a week with drops and supersets, every set, EVERY workout?

Not a chance. I did the JR Cal one year he did, We both came in as favorites. I was on Test, Deca, Winstrol, and he was supposedly totally natural and he still beat me easily... very round, thick and very fast and loose with the truth if you ask me...

KevinCouch
10-21-2010, 09:12 AM

Ax, I know you haven't been bodybuilding for as long as some of the rest of us here in this forum. The one thing I've learned over the last 30 years of bodybuilding and the rest can probably concur is that it really doesn't matter what others are claiming because it doesn't make a shit's bit of difference to you and your personal goals. I personally don't believe that there's any way he could be "natural" but don't let it f**ck with your head. I started competing in 1991 and placed 2nd as a novice middleweight at the 1991 DC Grand Prix in June. Five months later in November I did the 1991 NPC Mount Rogers Open class and won the overall title while beating the middleweight who won the overall title at the DC Grand Prix 5 month prior and I was still "natural" at the time. You can imagine all the people saying shit behind my back about going from a novice to winning the overall title at a state level show in 5 months. My point is people can claim whatever they want (look at the Team Unlverse competitors) If they want to claim their natural and win natty contests, let them. Just focus on YOU my friend because in the end this is an individual "sport" Unless there's a lot of prize money involved and they are cheating you their way to win, it doesn't matter... just keep training hard and do what you do and I'll see you at the Masters in July!

Sorry for the rambling, I tend to do that in the AM after taking my 2 Lipo 6 capsules :).

axioma
10-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks for input, I agree, gotta do it for yourself...did some talking to Z last night and will elaborate later, gotta go.

axioma
10-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Today: Legs
Leg extensions: 4 x 15 x 150
single leg curls: 3 x 12 x 90
Squats: 4 x 12 x 405 (last set)
lying leg curls: 3 x 12 x 150
Presses: 3 x 12 x 16plates
stiff leg dumbbell deads: 3 x 12 x 90
calf presses: 5 x 10 up the stack, 5 x 10 down the stack

Hammerfit
10-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Today: Legs
Leg extensions: 4 x 15 x 150
single leg curls: 3 x 12 x 90
Squats: 4 x 12 x 405 (last set)
lying leg curls: 3 x 12 x 150
Presses: 3 x 12 x 16plates
stiff leg dumbbell deads: 3 x 12 x 90
calf presses: 5 x 10 up the stack, 5 x 10 down the stack

405 for 12! Nice job Bro!

axioma
10-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Realized that I have let negativity creep in. Started with some business stuff and really hit a head with family. It was rough watching my daughter finally see the "who you blow" status quo. She is working her ass off pre-med. She is probably one of the least affluent kids at the private college she attends. She is seeing the cronyism...kids who's dad help get someone elected and is owed a favor, so despite everything, they will get a free pass into medical or law school. We all know that it is not about grades and MCATs or Lsats, but about who writes the letter!

I just sat and listened to her sob...organic chemistry is what really got her out of sorts, lol...
and told her to do it for YOU! You can't ever hope that there will be any justice...you can never think that the person who cheated might one day say, "hey, I don't deserve this Jag and nice house.."because they WON'T! They will ride that "figurative blowjob"...all the way to the bank. Life ain't easy for those of us who were born without the spoon in our colon...just gotta keep what is important close...family and good friends."
I know, I know...she is used to my rhetoric.

Then I see the same thing in judging...paying dues...who butters who...
Who cares? I am doing this for me. I was second guessing and BAM...Z punches the shit out of me..."I hate when you do that...you are a bodybuilder...you don't need a guru....you need to do what you know already and show those judges who you are as a BODYBUILDER!"

I only heard about half...my chest was throbbing from the punch...but she is right. I got five more weeks of this current program, then some R and R in Roaton, Honduras...diving, fishing and f***ing!

Kevin, special thanks for laying it down..."barbell style" as Joe Gold says....

axioma
10-21-2010, 10:11 AM
405 for 12! Nice job Bro!

It was definately a "growth" set. Mike was grinning (even though he did 465 x 10)...saying, "go daddy-0!"

KevinCouch
10-21-2010, 10:22 AM
These were a few sentences taken from my previous reply but short and to the point and words to live by:

it doesn't make a shit's bit of difference to you and your personal goals what others are claiming. Don't let it f**ck with your head. Just focus on YOU! Just keep training hard and do what you do and I'll see you at the Masters in July!

Nuff Said!!
Kevin

axioma
10-21-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm walking funny already....nice.

Baldiewonkanobi
10-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Nice alright. Well deserved pain.

Honduras looks like a fantastic goal. Are there any HOT 60 year old Honduran ladies down there....Lady X hot?

Baldie

axioma
10-22-2010, 08:18 AM
The way you look? 40's easy....mui caliente'......

axioma
10-22-2010, 08:37 AM
You know you are welcome to tag along anytime we go. This time we are spending most of our time on Roatan and Pico Bonito. Round trip $500ish. You let me know.

axioma
10-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Realized I have been way to estrogen laden...been reading the other posts....time to put on my MAN pants! ARGGGGGGHHH.....

There are so many guys on this forum who are working with a whole lot less than me...busting their asses...I need to SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GET TO WORK!

HAMMER, ESPLENDIDO, HEAVY DUTY....YOU ALL HAVE HAD TO OVERCOME SOME SERIOUS SETBACKS AND NOT COMPLAINING...JUST GETTING IT DONE

HERE I COMPLAIN ABOUT A SHOULDER TEAR AND DEGENERATIVE DISCS AND ARTHRITIC KNEES...WTF?

GOING TO BUST ASS, GET UP TO A SOLID 240 ON A 5'9" FRAME AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS AT MASTERS. I WILL GO OUT ON A LIMB AND SAY I WILL BE ON STAGE AT 212, 15LBS HEAVIER THAN LAST YEAR. I DON'T THINK TOO MANY GUYS IN THEIR 40'S WILL BE DOING THAT....COUCH NOTWITHSTANDING!

LIKE THE NEW ADDITIONS TO THE FORUM, DEFINATELY GUYS AND GALS WITH EXPERIENCE AND WILLING TO SHARE IT...WE ARE ALL THE BETTER FOR IT AND IT IS ALWAYS GOOD TO HAVE SOMEONE WILLING AND CAPABLE OF CALLING BULLSHIT ON ANY OF US IN A NICE BROTHERLY WAY.

HAVING SAID THAT, I HAVE PLENTY ON PLATE HERE. GOT AN E-STORE TO TWEAK. WILL BE CARRYING ACETO'S LINE AND WILL ADD A FEW OTHERS AS WE SEE FIT. I APPRECIATE THE INPUT FROM EVERYONE HERE WHO HAS ORDERED FROM US AND I WILL POST A DISCOUNT COUPON CODE WHEN WE ARE READY TO DO A HARD LAUNCH. CURRENTLY PUTTING ALL MY WORKOUTS ON VIDEO TO POST ON YOUTUBE AND I WILL HAVE THE HARDCOPIES AVAILABLE ON PDF TO DOWNLOAD ON SITE.

OKAY, I AM OUT OF HERE. I WILL POST SOMETHING IN A MONTH OR TWO TO LET YOU KNOW HOW THE BULK WENT, HOPE IT WILL BE SIGNIFICANT. ANYONE WANTING TO GET IN TOUCH, EMAIL AT THE ADDRESS ON MY POSTS. BEST WISHES, MATT.

Hammerfit
10-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Realized I have been way to estrogen laden...been reading the other posts....time to put on my MAN pants! ARGGGGGGHHH.....

There are so many guys on this forum who are working with a whole lot less than me...busting their asses...I need to SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GET TO WORK!

HAMMER, ESPLENDIDO, HEAVY DUTY....YOU ALL HAVE HAD TO OVERCOME SOME SERIOUS SETBACKS AND NOT COMPLAINING...JUST GETTING IT DONE

HERE I COMPLAIN ABOUT A SHOULDER TEAR AND DEGENERATIVE DISCS AND ARTHRITIC KNEES...WTF?

GOING TO BUST ASS, GET UP TO A SOLID 240 ON A 5'9" FRAME AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS AT MASTERS. I WILL GO OUT ON A LIMB AND SAY I WILL BE ON STAGE AT 212, 15LBS HEAVIER THAN LAST YEAR. I DON'T THINK TOO MANY GUYS IN THEIR 40'S WILL BE DOING THAT....COUCH NOTWITHSTANDING!

LIKE THE NEW ADDITIONS TO THE FORUM, DEFINATELY GUYS AND GALS WITH EXPERIENCE AND WILLING TO SHARE IT...WE ARE ALL THE BETTER FOR IT AND IT IS ALWAYS GOOD TO HAVE SOMEONE WILLING AND CAPABLE OF CALLING BULLSHIT ON ANY OF US IN A NICE BROTHERLY WAY.

HAVING SAID THAT, I HAVE PLENTY ON PLATE HERE. GOT AN E-STORE TO TWEAK. WILL BE CARRYING ACETO'S LINE AND WILL ADD A FEW OTHERS AS WE SEE FIT. I APPRECIATE THE INPUT FROM EVERYONE HERE WHO HAS ORDERED FROM US AND I WILL POST A DISCOUNT COUPON CODE WHEN WE ARE READY TO DO A HARD LAUNCH. CURRENTLY PUTTING ALL MY WORKOUTS ON VIDEO TO POST ON YOUTUBE AND I WILL HAVE THE HARDCOPIES AVAILABLE ON PDF TO DOWNLOAD ON SITE.

OKAY, I AM OUT OF HERE. I WILL POST SOMETHING IN A MONTH OR TWO TO LET YOU KNOW HOW THE BULK WENT, HOPE IT WILL BE SIGNIFICANT. ANYONE WANTING TO GET IN TOUCH, EMAIL AT THE ADDRESS ON MY POSTS. BEST WISHES, MATT.

Go get ya some my brotha!

joedemarco
10-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Great motivational post, Ax! Bust some ass and get it done!

v1hyp
10-23-2010, 01:34 AM

Good Luck!

Baldiewonkanobi
10-23-2010, 08:56 AM
realized i have been way to estrogen laden...been reading the other posts....time to put on my man pants! Argggggghhh.....

There are so many guys on this forum who are working with a whole lot less than me...busting their asses...i need to shut the fuck up and get to work!

Hammer, esplendido, heavy duty....you all have had to overcome some serious setbacks and not complaining...just getting it done

here i complain about a shoulder tear and degenerative discs and arthritic knees...wtf?

Going to bust ass, get up to a solid 240 on a 5'9" frame and see what happens at masters. I will go out on a limb and say i will be on stage at 212, 15lbs heavier than last year. I don't think too many guys in their 40's will be doing that....couch notwithstanding!

Like the new additions to the forum, definately guys and gals with experience and willing to share it...we are all the better for it and it is always good to have someone willing and capable of calling bullshit on any of us in a nice brotherly way.

Having said that, i have plenty on plate here. Got an e-store to tweak. Will be carrying aceto's line and will add a few others as we see fit. I appreciate the input from everyone here who has ordered from us and i will post a discount coupon code when we are ready to do a hard launch. Currently putting all my workouts on video to post on youtube and i will have the hardcopies available on pdf to download on site.

Okay, i am out of here. I will post something in a month or two to let you know how the bulk went, hope it will be significant. Anyone wanting to get in touch, email at the address on my posts. Best wishes, matt.

that just made my stecker peck out.....no homo.

Baldie

KevinCouch
10-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Talk to you soon Ax! Let us know when you reach 250. We're all in the "growing" mode and we'll all meet up in Pittsburgh!

Baldiewonkanobi
10-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Enjoy the bulk.

Baldie

axioma
11-01-2010, 07:48 AM
That is about what I feel like most mornings.
I may be reaching my physiological limits. We all know that the ability to eat and absorb nutrients is a genetic factor when determining growth potential.
It doesn't matter how many steroids you take, how much you lift...if you can't eat enough calories, you will stall.
I just can't make myself eat anymore. Sure, I could eat donuts or something JUST to add weight, however I cannot eat anymore quality food than I am right now. I am really getting sick of eating...

axioma
11-01-2010, 07:54 AM
This is to address the Esplendido thing: Rick and I go back 6 or 7 years, to MD and Warrior, RazorRipped and that crew. Rick helped me a great deal. I am not going to speculate what is going on...could be the leg injury, other personal shit...whatever. Just seems like at this point and time Rick needs to recognize more of us as peers, not synchophants.
He is GREAT with helping the new guys...but that is just it...you are new, therefore the hierarchy is set....he is helping you. It is with the other veterans that Rick has problems.

That said, I hear that alot of you feel that you have been deprived of a valuable resource with Rick's departure. I feel ya. He is at http://www.xtraxxl.com/ (http://www.xtraxxl.com/) under the name IronWorker. He has a pretty big following there.

Mac
11-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Just seems like at this point and time Rick needs to recognize more of us as peers, not synchophants.

This.

He is a great resource, but it seems something struck a nerve and the above is the cure.

freebirdmac
11-01-2010, 08:30 AM
That is about what I feel like most mornings.
I may be reaching my physiological limits. We all know that the ability to eat and absorb nutrients is a genetic factor when determining growth potential.
It doesn't matter how many steroids you take, how much you lift...if you can't eat enough calories, you will stall.
I just can't make myself eat anymore. Sure, I could eat donuts or something JUST to add weight, however I cannot eat anymore quality food than I am right now. I am really getting sick of eating...

I think this is one of the big mistakes I see people make on a bulk. Trying to double or triple a leaning out diet to bulk. Quality food is great, my food allergies force that on me, but it can be damn near impossible to eat enough and it gets way too boring.

I had to go looking for food to boost my cals that were not already on the menu. Because of my allergies it's still good food (although the sugar would scare some off). So far it's been quinoa pudding, my magic pumpkin muffins, and chocolate cupcakes made with black beans. My point is, there are calorie laden good foods out there, but you have to make an effort to find them.

joedemarco
11-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Sorry I had to make a small edit on your post above, Ax. You mentioned AAS manufacturers. I didn't mean to show you any disrespect by editing but had to do it. Joe.

Hammerfit
11-01-2010, 08:52 AM
I think this is one of the big mistakes I see people make on a bulk. Trying to double or triple a leaning out diet to bulk. Quality food is great, my food allergies force that on me, but it can be damn near impossible to eat enough and it gets way too boring.

I had to go looking for food to boost my cals that were not already on the menu. Because of my allergies it's still good food (although the sugar would scare some off). So far it's been quinoa pudding, my magic pumpkin muffins, and chocolate cupcakes made with black beans. My point is, there are calorie laden good foods out there, but you have to make an effort to find them.

Mat I know what you mean about getting the food in. It's tuff to get bigger when your body like it where you are. Force feeding! The only food that I can continue to tolerate is white rice. I love the stuff cooked in a rice cooker which makes it sticky. Lisa changes it up alot by putting tomatoes, okra or some other veggie mixed in. I have put on around 27lbs since August mostly in the legs. I went to put on a pair of jeans the other day and couldnt get them over my hams! What a good feeling, I guess Ill be wearing shorts all winter.

JoeB8962
11-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Ax - Going back a few post you were speaking of the judging at national level shows..this last show I did, I had a conversation with two of my fellow 50+ competitors and both had done Masters Nationals. Both told me they would never return to the show, they felt like they were judged before ever stepping on stage. They went on to say that if the judges did not know or know of you, you did not get looked at.

I have a good friend that competed back in the late 70's and early 80's at National level shows and he has told me the same. He stayed in it long enough to have some success as he was on the cover of Ironman Magazine. He told me the AAU was not this way, that he always placed were he thought he should in their shows and thought that the reason why was, that the AAU judged by height class rather than weight so you were compairing apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

axioma
11-01-2010, 01:09 PM

Tell me more please.

axioma
11-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Sorry I had to make a small edit on your post above, Ax. You mentioned AAS manufacturers. I didn't mean to show you any disrespect by editing but had to do it. Joe.

No offense...I had a complete brainfart...apologies.

axioma
11-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Mat I know what you mean about getting the food in. It's tuff to get bigger when your body like it where you are. Force feeding! The only food that I can continue to tolerate is white rice. I love the stuff cooked in a rice cooker which makes it sticky. Lisa changes it up alot by putting tomatoes, okra or some other veggie mixed in. I have put on around 27lbs since August mostly in the legs. I went to put on a pair of jeans the other day and couldnt get them over my hams! What a good feeling, I guess Ill be wearing shorts all winter.

Yes, carbs help...rice and mashed sweet potatoes. I whip them with stevia and a little honey and pumpkin pie spice and I can kill, however I have been getting acid reflux lately...always something.

axioma
11-01-2010, 01:12 PM
This.

He is a great resource, but it seems something struck a nerve and the above is the cure.

It is so.

axioma
11-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Ax - Going back a few post you were speaking of the judging at national level shows..this last show I did, I had a conversation with two of my fellow 50+ competitors and both had done Masters Nationals. Both told me they would never return to the show, they felt like they were judged before ever stepping on stage. They went on to say that if the judges did not know or know of you, you did not get looked at.

I have a good friend that competed back in the late 70's and early 80's at National level shows and he has told me the same. He stayed in it long enough to have some success as he was on the cover of Ironman Magazine. He told me the AAU was not this way, that he always placed were he thought he should in their shows and thought that the reason why was, that the AAU judged by height class rather than weight so you were compairing apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

AAU was before my time, however I agree that height comparison help. I will give this another shot, knowing that I was not where I wanted to be...I can be better. If I go, feel that I am at my best and get relegated to the wings...then on to different endeavors.

freebirdmac
11-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Tell me more please.

Chocolate Bean Cupcakes

1 1/2 cup black beans (usually one can, drained, pat dry)
5 large eggs
1 tbs pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 tbs unsalted organic butter
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
1/4-1/3 cup honey (or sugar or whatever)
6 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tsp instant coffee (optional, brings out chocolate flavor)
optional: 1/4 – 1/2 cup chocolate chips or carob chips

*You can cut your calories by substituting unsweetened applesauce for the oils/ butters. You can also do all oil or all butters for the fats, my favorite combo is 1/2 homemade applesauce and 1/2 coconut oil.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Put beans, eggs, vanilla, and salt in a blender and process until smooth.

In a small bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and coffee.

In a large mixing bowl, cream softened oils and sweetener (honey/sugar) until light and fluffy. Beat in pureed bean mixture. Stir in the cocoa powder mixture and blend well (preferably with a hand/ electric mixer).

Spoon batter into silicon baking cups.

Bake cupcakes for at 350 for 25 minutes, or until firm to the touch.
If you want to do this as a cake, bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.

The original recipe for this said to let the cupcakes sit for 24 hours before eating, so the bean flavor disappears. We don’t notice any bean taste here. Depending on your subs for butter and oil you may have to adjust later batches for moisture.

You can dust with powdered sugar or make a glaze, or ice. However you see fit.

freebirdmac
11-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Yes, carbs help...rice and mashed sweet potatoes. I whip them with stevia and a little honey and pumpkin pie spice and I can kill, however I have been getting acid reflux lately...always something.

You know what? Since starting this bulk I have been dealing with a lot of reflux that was totally in control before. I'm convinced it's the increase in fiber. My muffins and cupcakes help cals, but they also up fiber. Especially the muffins. Oh well.

axioma
11-01-2010, 02:36 PM
The acid reflux has made my snoring worse as well. Prevacid has been the best solution thus far.

Thank you for the recipe, I will make them tonight!

axioma
11-01-2010, 02:39 PM
This is my Pack: Zuni (on lounge chair, looking regal), Maya (on my lap) and Stitch (trying kiss...weee bit homo, that one). I posted on Girlie's thread bout how I got them and wanted them on my thread!

freebirdmac
11-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Beautiful dogs! I currently have 4 cats and a rabbit, all were rescues of one sort or another. I've also had a cockatiel and a rat. I'd like to get a German Shepherd when I retire. Never felt I had the needed time while I'm working to have a dog. My vet however recommended against getting one via a rescue group. Too messed up.

bryantone
11-01-2010, 07:48 PM
The acid reflux has made my snoring worse as well. Prevacid has been the best solution thus far.

Thank you for the recipe, I will make them tonight!
I take a 2 tablespoon shot of apple cider vinegar before bed. try it. it will either stop it or make it worse.

v1hyp
11-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Nice dogs!

axioma
11-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Just wanted to share this...hands are shaking. Just finished legs.
Fighting my bi-annual bout of upper respiratory bullshit. Happened before show and happening again. Lows in the 40's and highs in the 80's is killing me. Wheezing pretty bad. Decided to make legs short and sweet.

Extensions: 5 sets of 15
Leg Press: 16 plates x 15, 18 plates x 15, 20 plates x 15, 22 plates x 15
We then decided to just pick a weight and try to get as many reps as possible in two sets on squats.
275 x 30, 30
I thought I was going to die, literally. CNS was shut down! Here's the kicker, my partner got 275 x 50, 50!!!!!

Still staying at 230lbs. Seems like I have stalled. Hard to eat, sinus drainage causes nausea.

Just thought I would share that, didn't want everyone to think I have been lounging by the pool or something.

Mac
11-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Maybe you should just hang out by the pool.

Mine will be frozen over soon. :dunno:

Get better soon Matt.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-04-2010, 09:06 AM
AX....my oldest daughter got me on Walgreens WAL-ZYR. Opened me up, no sides and post nasel yuck stopped. Lasts 12 hours.

Or, you can sleep upside down like a bat ;)

Your partner did what X 50 :hypno:

Baldie

joedemarco
11-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Great job, Ax! Get well!

Hammerfit
11-04-2010, 09:16 AM
AX....my oldest daughter got me on Walgreens WAL-ZYR. Opened me up, no sides and post nasel yuck stopped. Lasts 12 hours.

Baldie

That shit sux..livin on Afrin myslef! Way to go hard anyway!

KevinCouch
11-04-2010, 09:32 AM
That shit sux..livin on Afrin myslef! Way to go hard anyway!

Get Better Ax. I'm also doin the Afrin thing here if Virginia. Mold is thru the roof where I live.

axioma
11-04-2010, 11:52 AM

Baldie

I squatted 275 x 2 sets of 30. My cornfed partner did 2 sets of 50!

I am open to any/everything...I will try it.

mastersfreak
11-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Just wanted to share this...hands are shaking. Just finished legs.
Fighting my bi-annual bout of upper respiratory bullshit. Happened before show and happening again. Lows in the 40's and highs in the 80's is killing me. Wheezing pretty bad. Decided to make legs short and sweet.

Extensions: 5 sets of 15
Leg Press: 16 plates x 15, 18 plates x 15, 20 plates x 15, 22 plates x 15
We then decided to just pick a weight and try to get as many reps as possible in two sets on squats.
275 x 30, 30
I thought I was going to die, literally. CNS was shut down! Here's the kicker, my partner got 275 x 50, 50!!!!!

Still staying at 230lbs. Seems like I have stalled. Hard to eat, sinus drainage causes nausea.

Just thought I would share that, didn't want everyone to think I have been lounging by the pool or something.

Short and sweet or not. Rockin workout, especially considering what you are battling.

Get well soon ...

axioma
11-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Feeling much better. Took the whole weekend and just chilled. Worked chest, won't bore with the details, however got a couple of PR's:
Flat Bench: 315 x 10, 10 neg w/405 x 5, 315 x 8
Incline Dumbbell: 125 x 10 x 3

Nausea seems to be abating, hope to start eating in earnest again. Good news, held 231 throughout the crud, even with eating only 150 grams protein a day. So hope to break through this and gain a little more before taking the month of December off.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Gotta agree....you look a LOT better.

Baldie

Hammerfit
11-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Feeling much better. Took the whole weekend and just chilled. Worked chest, won't bore with the details, however got a couple of PR's:
Flat Bench: 315 x 10, 10 neg w/405 x 5, 315 x 8
Incline Dumbbell: 125 x 10 x 3

Nausea seems to be abating, hope to start eating in earnest again. Good news, held 231 throughout the crud, even with eating only 150 grams protein a day. So hope to break through this and gain a little more before taking the month of December off.

thats some great chest work there bro

V-Man
11-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Ax,
I love your perspective on bodybuilding on the previous page. Everyone knows bikini is a joke. They can't compare to the work our figure and bodybuilding girls do. It's about tits and ass.
Same thing will hold for mens physique. Got a six pack and pecs genetically and your all set to go. No need to bust your balls training, eating, supplementing and cardio. Mens physique will be the perfect place for all the pretty boy types. And perfect for the guys who train upper body all the time and wear baggie pants. Why squat.

For me I'm 48 and never competed. I've overcome a lot of surgeries and want to compete one day but it will be as a bodybuilder. No easy route for me. I work with a bodybuilder now who has taught me to have respect for myself as a bodybuilder as well as other bodybuilders for all the hard work we put in. For you you got a great physique one that I can only I hope to have one day. I congratulate you. I got a long way to go but will do it. Hang in there buddy.
V.

V-Man
11-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Ax,
Gonna play a joke on my trainer next week. I found a pair of flowery board shorts in my old summer clothes.

On leg day I'm gonna come out of the bathroom wearing them and asking him to check my "walk." I'm going tell him I'm going for physique. No more leg training.

He'll probably piss his pants first then show me to the door. lol.

axioma
11-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Ax,
Gonna play a joke on my trainer next week. I found a pair of flowery board shorts in my old summer clothes.

On leg day I'm gonna come out of the bathroom wearing them and asking him to check my "walk." I'm going tell him I'm going for physique. No more leg training.

He'll probably piss his pants first then show me to the door. lol.

Yea, or just torture the shit out of you on SQUATS:yep: lol.

axioma
11-10-2010, 08:06 AM
I had a pretty good discourse on the WPD thread on central. It all seems to be about niche marketing...
I also understand that you can't go back...once the box is opened. You get people used to seeing cartoon physiques at the pro level and nothing else will do. It is going to take some brave judges to reward the more proportionate physiques to gradually pull everything back.

I will stand by my statement that board shorts and bikinis have NO place in a bodybuilding show! You are not encouraging the audience to develop an eye for what is a winning physique. Too much...let's see...they want no muscle here...well she has a little bit...maybe figure...but look at her...she could bodybuild...

I think a consensus can be reached. Let's have the physiques that everyone wants and then the MUTANT division for shits and giggles. Have Iris Kyle go head to head with Peter Putnam...she would kick his ass!

I do think Bikini has a role in shows....coat check...serving beverages...applying oil to my wife and myself...how freaking decadent is that? Sweetie, slather a little more between Matt's thighs..."thank you dear, oh and will you work that into my wife's pecs please...good girl" THAT IS WHAT BIKINI IS AND SHOULD BE ABOUT

bryantone
11-10-2010, 08:08 AM
I was under the impression that the new mens physique was about being in great shape like the classics (7-10%BF). Not "shredded til death". Why wouldnt a competitor work out his legs? During posing he could pull them up and show his quads. And the pervs wouldnt get to see his ass. Are you positve that they are going to wear board shorts?

axioma
11-10-2010, 08:13 AM
I was under the impression that the new mens physique was about being in great shape like the classics (7-10%BF). Not "shredded til death". Why wouldnt a competitor work out his legs? During posing he could pull them up and show his quads. And the pervs wouldnt get to see his ass. Are you positve that they are going to wear board shorts?

I think they are nailing down the criteria for the WPD, not as sure of the physique division. According the proposal, board shorts it is. I think the Aussie Bum marsupial poach shorts would be killer. I just can't keep my cargo in the little trunks, so a nice, big expandable ball net ( with an island motiff, of course) would be appreciated.

axioma
11-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Gotta vent here...really getting tired of the CrossFit fags. You know, two or three of them training together, wearing matching sleeveless underarmour shirts, terrible form...hyperkinetic bullshit.

This a.m....leg day. Two CrossFit homos camping out in the squat rack, hanging by their legs...doing swinging upside down crunches??? Funny and just coincidence I'm sure that they are in a perfect faggoty vertical 69 position. One is encouraging the other to "get some more" yelling at the guys nut sack!!!

We go over, do our extensions, hoping this will all be over soon. We head back over and they are doing curls....CURLS....65lb curls...in the rack. They both have matching shaved heads....faggoty little strands of bobwire on their puny little arms...bopping their heads to their techno trance...WHATEVER....

I very calmly ask the "butch" one of the combo..."how many more sets?" ...He removes his "skull candy" ear buds...
"because they like to get skull fucked?"
and says, "we are just getting started" giving me this "hardcore" stare...Not smart

I walk to the water fountain, get a drink, take a couple of breathes, telling myself, don't hurt him too bad...my partner is starting to laugh his ass off knowing what is coming

I wait till he finishes swinging the bar all over and tell him and his bitch..."look, you guys might be real cardiovascular marvels, but you don't know shit about lifting and even less about gym ettiquette...take your goddamm curls out of MY fucking squat rack before I fucking shit all over you...

The entire gym has come to a standstill...Mr. CrossFit is standing open mouthed, staring at me..."once more, then I go Tasmanian...get the fuck out of my squat rack"

They start to walk off...."AHHH, NOT SO FAST....Take your shit off my bar....Please...thank you..now you have had a lesson in gym ettiquette."

Guys, I am NOT a badass, I KNOW too many badasses, however, don't fuck with me on leg day.
I have nothing against circuit training...Glycogen Deplete? However, when you start to define yourself by a label....and take on a persona...MR. CROSSFIT...all 175lbs of your badness....

WHOOOOO, rant over...thank you. Got a PR on front squats after that: 325 x 12 with the "bear shitting in the woods" pause at the bottom of every rep...scrumdillyiscious.

Hammerfit
11-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Gotta vent here...really getting tired of the CrossFit fags. You know, two or three of them training together, wearing matching sleeveless underarmour shirts, terrible form...hyperkinetic bullshit.

This a.m....leg day. Two CrossFit homos camping out in the squat rack, hanging by their legs...doing swinging upside down crunches??? Funny and just coincidence I'm sure that they are in a perfect faggoty vertical 69 position. One is encouraging the other to "get some more" yelling at the guys nut sack!!!

We go over, do our extensions, hoping this will all be over soon. We head back over and they are doing curls....CURLS....65lb curls...in the rack. They both have matching shaved heads....faggoty little strands of bobwire on their puny little arms...bopping their heads to their techno trance...WHATEVER....

I very calmly ask the "butch" one of the combo..."how many more sets?" ...He removes his "skull candy" ear buds...
and says, "we are just getting started" giving me this "hardcore" stare...Not smart

I walk to the water fountain, get a drink, take a couple of breathes, telling myself, don't hurt him too bad...my partner is starting to laugh his ass off knowing what is coming

I wait till he finishes swinging the bar all over and tell him and his bitch..."look, you guys might be real cardiovascular marvels, but you don't know shit about lifting and even less about gym ettiquette...take your goddamm curls out of MY fucking squat rack before I fucking shit all over you...

The entire gym has come to a standstill...Mr. CrossFit is standing open mouthed, staring at me..."once more, then I go Tasmanian...get the fuck out of my squat rack"

They start to walk off...."AHHH, NOT SO FAST....Take your shit off my bar....Please...thank you..now you have had a lesson in gym ettiquette."

Guys, I am NOT a badass, I KNOW too many badasses, however, don't fuck with me on leg day.
I have nothing against circuit training...Glycogen Deplete? However, when you start to define yourself by a label....and take on a persona...MR. CROSSFIT...all 175lbs of your badness....

WHOOOOO, rant over...thank you. Got a PR on front squats after that: 325 x 12 with the "bear shitting in the woods" pause at the bottom of every rep...scrumdillyiscious.

OMG you are such a meanie for being ugly to those nice young fellas. NOT! Fuck them! You were way too nice! I dont ever back off, if you are not squatting in my rack when I get there, you gotta go! I will ask the same question, how much more you got, if the answer isnt almost done, then I say then Im working in, that usually works and they stomp off! Im the same way I have to head fuck myself into training legs anyway, by the time I get there Im going insane and shaking Im so wound up, bad idea to piss us off!

Good job, no great job Matt, fuck the civilians!

Got a PR on front squats after that: 325 x 12 That is sick my brother!

mastersfreak
11-11-2010, 12:01 PM

HA- to damn funny.

There is one of those at my gym as well, he even brings in his iPAD and goes through the P90X routine in the gym.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Matt....thank you for that. Comic relief. Fortunatly I dont see that in my new gym. We just have wandering aimless Seniors in gawd awfull shorts and wife beaters showing way way too much geez.

I'm handing off James to your care. GREAT GUY.

Baldie

axioma
11-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Matt....thank you for that. Comic relief. Fortunatly I dont see that in my new gym. We just have wandering aimless Seniors in gawd awfull shorts and wife beaters showing way way too much geez.

Baldie

It is funny writing it...but my BP was through the freakin roof dealing with it...I can't do that kind of thing and be "cool", I just go from zero to a head butt in 2 seconds...no warning..just BAM

I got James' back...no worries.

KevinCouch
11-11-2010, 05:19 PM

Baldie

Matt,
I needed that!! Love to have been there. Those douchebags probably left the gym bitching at you the whole way home :yep: knowing there's not a damn thing they could do about it.
kevin

v1hyp
11-11-2010, 06:48 PM
HA- to damn funny.

There is one of those at my gym as well, he even brings in his iPAD and goes through the P90X routine in the gym.

Nice!! I would have enoyed watching that take place!!

bryantone
11-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Reason # 20 for working out at home. GYM= 2 guys in squat cage, one upside down, the other yelling at his nuts. You should have ate 2 bowls of Kashi Crunch Go Lean a hour before, then gassed him.

V-Man
11-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Great, these guys have bicep tats as well on those puny arms.

nwtrnr1
11-12-2010, 01:01 AM
Priceless... I can't stand people who use equipment like that especially when you want to use it. Bet they peed there spandex leotards running out of the place. "Oh my goodness how rude of that man!" Reminds me of my gym, people stand right in front of the heaviest dumbells and curl 5 pounds and look at you like your insane wanting to lift. Duh? it's called bodybuildng for a reason, or the utter shock if you drop a heavy dumbell on the floor, the start glaring at you for training so hard. Keep training man your an inspiration! I've found if the right mix of people train in a gym and use proper etiquette then everyone gets along and at least can be tolerated.

axioma
11-12-2010, 10:26 AM
reason # 20 for working out at home. Gym= 2 guys in squat cage, one upside down, the other yelling at his nuts. you should have ate 2 bowls of kashi crunch go lean a hour before, then gassed him.

roflmao!!!!

axioma
11-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Priceless... I can't stand people who use equipment like that especially when you want to use it. Bet they peed there spandex leotards running out of the place. "Oh my goodness how rude of that man!" Reminds me of my gym, people stand right in front of the heaviest dumbells and curl 5 pounds and look at you like your insane wanting to lift. Duh? it's called bodybuildng for a reason, or the utter shock if you drop a heavy dumbell on the floor, the start glaring at you for training so hard. Keep training man your an inspiration! I've found if the right mix of people train in a gym and use proper etiquette then everyone gets along and at least can be tolerated.

That is great! Every decent size town should have one, this one does not.
1. Volume sales is the rule....so no time to encourage etiquette.
2. Gyms sell personal training packages...so they will be damned before they show someone how to do something for free!
3. Everyone has to be PC...so who am I to say that barking at your buddies nutsack isn't some subliminal testosterone release technique...."read about it in Mens Health...dude!"

KevinCouch
11-12-2010, 10:48 AM

That is great! Every decent size town should have one, this one does not.
1. Volume sales is the rule....so no time to encourage etiquette.
2. Gyms sell personal training packages...so they will be damned before they show someone how to do something for free!
3. Everyone has to be PC...so who am I to say that barking at your buddies nutsack isn't some subliminal testosterone release technique...."read about it in Mens Health...dude!"

Before I began training for the Nationals in August (after Masters) I trained at home for the past 10 years. This is the reason why I invested so much money on quality equipment because I can't stand f**ckin idiots in the gym just taking up space. But after the Masters I realized that I needed to work my quads from more angles and different equipment so I went to our Gold's Gym mostly on leg day and it was a great gym. Not too crowded mostly hardcore guys and the ones that were just there for "fitness" got out of your way. Call us "muscleheads" or juiceheads or whatever you want I'm just there to get a good workout and I have no patience when I'm in my training mode. Going to start back at Gold's next week when I start hittin my quads again...
Matt...awesome post!!

joedemarco
11-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Great story, Matt. I have no patience for that shit either. That's what I luv about my little gym now. Everyone is respectful of each other. No one would dare be in the squat rack unless they were squatting. If they are doing something else (i.e. curls) they will always give it up if someone else comes in and needs the rack to squat.

axioma
11-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Won't get on a rant here, but that is indicative of our society in general. Tunnel vision...me vision...whatever.

JoeB8962
11-12-2010, 02:12 PM
You've touched on something that really fires me up also...nothing pisses me off more than someone sitting on a piece of equipment your waiting on and texting! Another thing that gets my goat is no one seems to know how to put their weights back up. Put the 45's together on a tree etc. etc. It's a pain in the ass to pull dimes, nickels and quarters of just to get what you need. I told the owner back when I started the gym owner's would kick your ass out if you did shit like that!

Mac
11-12-2010, 02:30 PM
The two biggest guys in my gym load up the leg press with as many plates as it will hold and then leave it like that.

Then they do their heavy deads, and leave 495 on the floor. At this point there are no more 45 plates in this part of the gym.

I wouldn't have the Ax effect on these guys however, they would just squash me with their thumbs.

axioma
11-15-2010, 09:42 AM
"Hey my brothas...you are light years ahead of me....massively strong...mightily inspirational...mind helping me remove a few of these?" Duh, what he say?

Etiquette has nothing to do with size or experience. When I owned my gym, I just asked to put the plate that was roughly the same diameter as the other plates on the same peg...forget telling them to put the 45's together or whatever, their eyes would glaze over.

You will love this...remember the "one of these things is not like the others" song from Sesame Street? I had that on my ipod. If I would get some morons...young, old, black, white...morons cross all lines...putting a 45 over a 25 or something...I would hook the ipod up to the sound system, play that song and do this little dance around the gym putting the right plates together..."OK, we got that now?"

axioma
11-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Oh, my handle used to be "anachronism", because that is what I am...just in the wrong fucking epoch.

I had this girl come in and start into one of the tanning beds. I run up to her..."hey, look, I know you want to tan but you have to think about the baby...I can't let you tan when pregnant". She just glared at me...."I'm NOT pregnant!" SNAP!
I walk back to the desk and ask Xiomara..."Well?"
She is laughing her ass off..."Well???"
She says, "I thought she was pregnant too, sweetheart."
Thank you

Hammerfit
11-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Oh, my handle used to be "anachronism", because that is what I am...just in the wrong fucking epoch.

I had this girl come in and start into one of the tanning beds. I run up to her..."hey, look, I know you want to tan but you have to think about the baby...I can't let you tan when pregnant". She just glared at me...."I'm NOT pregnant!" SNAP!
I walk back to the desk and ask Xiomara..."Well?"
She is laughing her ass off..."Well???"
She says, "I thought she was pregnant too, sweetheart."
Thank you

whoaa thats a slap across the room!

axioma
11-15-2010, 10:03 AM
This chick wasn't BBW or anything...just a freakin beer gut or something...didn't look big except for this basketball belly...what was I supposed to think?

axioma
11-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Coming to the end of my bulk...probably going to top off at 235. However, still have abs, veins and seperation in hams/glutes. I will take some shots over the next week or so.

I will relax the month of December and just try to solidify gains. I will do the CKDW during Jan. I will then start another bulk phase, hopefully around 225 and see if I get up to 240. Bulk for 10 weeks and then go into precontest phase. Doing this on my own here, so no one to blame but me.

squats: WS: 425 x 12
Presses: WS: 20 plates x 15
Calf Presses: (decided to do them since the weight was on machine, lol) 12 plates x 15 x 4
unilateral extensions: 4 x 15 (don't know the weight, just did whatever my partner put on there)

Really looking forward to Honduras...will post pics...Xiomara is trying to diet before we go...I am like WTF? She looks amazing right now...145lbs. full, round and fit. I am going to have to introduce her to Denise Masino, because that is the look that she has, minus the abs.

I really feel good about my training...working out everyday with a guy 20years younger and 40lbs. heavier. I feel good when he says he feels "beat to hell and back"...I want to own the stage in July...no hesitancy...no worries about judging...just take control of it and never relinquish it...

axioma
11-18-2010, 01:27 PM
This was taken two years ago in Trujillo. It is our private little beach...Ollie North used party at the expat bar up the beach...my baby and me...

axioma
11-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Training note:

Used my inhaler, ProVentil, about an hour before training...seemed to help.
Also, really focused on breathing...got into my rhythm. My partner squats very fast, almost ballistic...however he is young.
I don't know if anyone has heard of http://www.russianmartialart.com/ (http://www.russianmartialart.com/) Systema Russian Martial Arts System. I took it for a few years and hosted workshops when I owned by gym. I reviewed the breathing DVD last week and realized I had forgotten how to breathe. I was hyperventilating, going into panic mode, bringing on the exercise induced asthma.
Today, I kept my breathing calm, even when squatting the 425..just said to myself, this is for reps, no need to panic...just do it with great form...and even though I was feeling like my glutes where ripping apart coming out of the hole on 11 and 12, my breathing stayed calm. I was spent, don't get me wrong, however I recovered much quicker and never went into panic mode. I "re-learned" something today.

axioma
11-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Systema note: The first time I took the workshop, Vladimir slapped me in the face. I don't like getting slapped. He said, "what is that to you? Pain? or an emotional response?" Systema teaches you to "bitch slap" an opponent in certain circumstances because it illicits an immediate response, either the person will elevate or submit, either way you control them. Great training, very real world...however it does get a little Yodaish at the higher echelon of adherents.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-18-2010, 02:38 PM
What a sexy picture of a very sexy and sweet lady. I am looking forward to my hug in 8 months.

Ax you are more complex than I ever dreamed. I could have used a leg day bitch slap this morning over here in Arizona. I too take a hit ever WO on my inhaler for same reasons. I have taught my self controlled breathing....it does help. However today I took legs into the ether.

Baldie

Hammerfit
11-18-2010, 05:06 PM
This was taken two years ago in Trujillo. It is our private little beach...Ollie North used party at the expat bar up the beach...my baby and me...

nice pic!

Hammerfit
11-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Training note:

Used my inhaler, ProVentil, about an hour before training...seemed to help.
Also, really focused on breathing...got into my rhythm. My partner squats very fast, almost ballistic...however he is young.
I don't know if anyone has heard of http://www.russianmartialart.com/ (http://www.russianmartialart.com/) Systema Russian Martial Arts System. I took it for a few years and hosted workshops when I owned by gym. I reviewed the breathing DVD last week and realized I had forgotten how to breathe. I was hyperventilating, going into panic mode, bringing on the exercise induced asthma.
Today, I kept my breathing calm, even when squatting the 425..just said to myself, this is for reps, no need to panic...just do it with great form...and even though I was feeling like my glutes where ripping apart coming out of the hole on 11 and 12, my breathing stayed calm. I was spent, don't get me wrong, however I recovered much quicker and never went into panic mode. I "re-learned" something today.

coming out of the hole w 425 - your a fuckin monster! Panic, I would be screaming!

Hammerfit
11-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Systema note: The first time I took the workshop, Vladimir slapped me in the face. I don't like getting slapped. He said, "what is that to you? Pain? or an emotional response?" Systema teaches you to "bitch slap" an opponent in certain circumstances because it illicits an immediate response, either the person will elevate or submit, either way you control them. Great training, very real world...however it does get a little Yodaish at the higher echelon of adherents.

hmmmm. slap me in the face and ur gonna die, just sayin lol

axioma
11-19-2010, 09:52 AM
EXACTLY! That was the point...did it really hurt? The expectation was not that someone slaps you and you nothing, but you don't let it change your thought processes. He could immediately see the response...momma slapped ya? You mad? You seperate the physical from the mental.

At one point I was considering doing contract work...I have a desirable MOS, 12B combat engineer. However, I have been out for a long time and long story short, I couldn't afford the "recertification courses" at Blackwater. The Systema training is about being able to keep your head when you have been cut...most of us know we just got cut, see our blood and go nuts...me included. The cooler head will say, I have nothing to gain by elevating, just make be bleed out quicker. These guys are Vulcans for lack of a better description. I learned ALOT, but never achieved "mind meld" status, lol.

axioma
11-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Hams:
single curls: 4 sets, WS 100 x 12
Stiff legged: 3 sets, WS 315 x 12
Prone leg curls: 4 sets, WS 145 x 12
Shoulders:
Lateral Raise machine: 4 sets x 15 reps
Unilateral Hammer Press: 3 sets, WS 4 plates x 10 reps
Superset:
Rear dumbbell laterals: 3 sets, 35 x 12
Hammer shrug: 3 sets, 3 plates x 12

Weight this a.m.: 234.6 guessing I am 12%BF

axioma
11-19-2010, 12:58 PM
hmmmm. slap me in the face and ur gonna die, just sayin lol

PS: I wasn't the first guy to get slapped, knew it was a drill;)

Hammerfit
11-19-2010, 12:58 PM
EXACTLY! That was the point...did it really hurt? The expectation was not that someone slaps you and you nothing, but you don't let it change your thought processes. He could immediately see the response...momma slapped ya? You mad? You seperate the physical from the mental.

At one point I was considering doing contract work...I have a desirable MOS, 12B combat engineer. However, I have been out for a long time and long story short, I couldn't afford the "recertification courses" at Blackwater. The Systema training is about being able to keep your head when you have been cut...most of us know we just got cut, see our blood and go nuts...me included. The cooler head will say, I have nothing to gain by elevating, just make be bleed out quicker. These guys are Vulcans for lack of a better description. I learned ALOT, but never achieved "mind meld" status, lol.

Too Funny, my first MOS was also combat engineer blowing up and building bridges, and playin w det cord!

axioma
11-19-2010, 01:03 PM
I took some souvenirs when I left service....det cord being one of them!

Baldiewonkanobi
11-19-2010, 01:12 PM
234.6 would put you on stage at 215+ish. What were you weighing in July in Pitt?

Baldie

axioma
11-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Weighed in at 198 on the dot. I am 207 in the avi, taken two weeks before show.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-19-2010, 02:24 PM
2011 Shock and Awe

Baldie

joedemarco
11-19-2010, 04:42 PM
You are going to look a 100 times better in the 215 pound range. I think you should have stayed in that 207 range last year as you were much fuller....but hind site is 20/20.

Hammerfit
11-19-2010, 04:47 PM
I took some souvenirs when I left service....det cord being one of them!

we could do some serious damage with 100' of det cord

axioma
11-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Been eating like a champ past several days...on target. Ate 40 pieces of sushi last night! Stuffed. I think I have broken the plateau! Weighted 237.4 this a.m.

GerryT
11-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Look forward to seeing you on stage already. Agree with Joe. Always believed it is about the mirror, not the scale. Sure you will make a big impression. Continued best wishes.

axioma
11-22-2010, 06:33 AM
Gerry, thanks for stopping by. You might want to give a shout to Marjian. You are right, what do I LOOK like? That is the key.

Weighed 240 this a.m. Not ripped, lol, but not a butterball either. I still look solid. The key will be maintaining as much as possible during down time and in Honduras. "Hey, boys and girls....munch,munch, munch...this is King Khan, showing you how to eat and chew...munch, munch...protein first you guys, then I eat my....crunch, crunch...granola!" "You want to be big like the Khan, you must eat like champion....burp...I lift only IV for two months and still huge....can I eat that?"

Baldiewonkanobi
11-22-2010, 07:18 AM
OK Ax we know what you are up to. John Romano went to Mexico to load up on AAS. You are going to Hondouras to load up on Isotope 40-Potassium. Be happy that you will get the TSA pat down instead of the xray machine because you would set off all the alarms Mr Radioactive. Deep research tells me that when you fry Plantains you double the Isotope 40-potassium. What I cant find yet is what the anabolic connection would be. Once I discover this and let the word out I am sure that the only flavor available in the whey/power drink market will be banana. I'd bet you already know....PM me. ;)

Baldie

axioma
11-22-2010, 09:47 AM
LOL! Actually, the banana additive in protein is always in short supply...constantly backordered on the banana ProComplete40...just saying.

I am starting to feel and look, (in my eyes anyway) like those pics of Dennis James about to pop out of his skin...I can't rub my eyes and have to do a major contortion to clean the crevices....nice. Only bad thing...I fart when I put my socks on....not nice.

axioma
11-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Did something to wrist this weekend, not sure but it is really giving me fits. Was very careful during chest, however got great pump.

10minutes stationary bike
Smith low incline presses: 4 sets, 315 x 12 x 2
Low incline flyes: (this hit the pec much better than 45 degree and less wrist/shoulder involvment) 3 sets, WS 75 x 12
Incline hammer: 4 sets, 275 x 12 x 3
Xovers: 4 sets of 15

one arm pushdowns: 3 sets of 12
lying straight bar extensions: 3 sets of 12
extreme stretch, overhead w/ 65lbs dumbbell
superset: pec dec and seated pushdown machine x 2 sets to failure
10 minutes stationary bike

axioma
11-22-2010, 11:54 AM
going to buffet everyday for the next two weeks, still getting in 5 meals with 2 shakes. twice a week I will hit breakfast buffet and lunch buffet. One day a week I will hit buffet x2 and sushi, preferably on leg day.

axioma
11-22-2010, 04:39 PM
slow day today, I think I posted on every thread on the site! I still didn't post as much as ChristianDuque, that guy is going for forum whore status pronto! You get a chance, check out the Cheek to Chick dancing between him and Bob! And what is up with Chicorello? The guy has made RX his home..is this a good thing?

KevinCouch
11-22-2010, 06:40 PM
slow day today, I think I posted on every thread on the site! I still didn't post as much as ChristianDuque, that guy is going for forum whore status pronto! You get a chance, check out the Cheek to Chick dancing between him and Bob! And what is up with Chicorello? The guy has made RX his home..is this a good thing?

I read the posts in your thread!! You were really gettin under Chic's skin. Of course, I agree with you 100% Matt! Lookin forward to seeing your final package in July. We'll all have to go out even if it's after midnight this time....

Actuallly it will finish much earlier this year since the bikinis are goin on Friday night!!

axioma
11-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Yes, I fully intend to enjoy the experience this time. Xiomara won't be competing this year, so I can just let her steer!

HeavyDutyGuy
11-23-2010, 10:20 AM
You posts whore! Nah, its called participation- something I used to be good at. You are in Anderson right? We are in Greenville now- near downtown may have been the worng place to get- but we didnt know.

axioma
11-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Near downtown is great. As you learn your way around, there are some great areas, just be patient. Know that is difficult with what you are going through, but just hang in there...definately paying for some past Karma or mojo out of whack or something.

Amazon Doll
11-23-2010, 01:44 PM
And what is up with Chicorello? The guy has made RX his home..is this a good thing?He is very unprofessional. He is an attention whore and likes all these threads that are directed at him.

KevinCouch
11-23-2010, 02:49 PM
He is very unprofessional. He is an attention whore and likes all these threads that are directed at him.

You got it Amazon Doll! Loved that Ax got under his skin a little. Never know he might be at the Masters Nationals and we'll all show him what a Masters Physique is capable of!!!

axioma
11-23-2010, 03:30 PM
He is very unprofessional. He is an attention whore and likes all these threads that are directed at him.

Thanks for posting!

axioma
11-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Back and Biceps

Just was not feeling the love today, just a bit off. Having trouble sleeping with the weight gain, got to let my body adjust.

Wide grip pullups: 5 sets of 12-8
Seated nautilus compound row: 4 sets of stack x 12
Rack pulls: 4 sets, WS 510 x 5. Shitty rack, either too low or too high. Couldn't get a groove, really pissed.
Straight arm pulldowns: 3 sets x 12
Superset: Nautilus row (shrugging scapula only) w/ unilateral pulldown 2 sets of 15 reps.
Alt Hammer curls: 3 sets of 12, WS 50lbs (partner really pissed me off, jumps from 45s to 65s. Does them so easy, I think, WTF and grab them. I get one.....one.)
One arm Hammer strength preacher curl machine: 3 sets x 12-10 w/45lbs
Static hold alt. incline dumbbell curls: 3 sets x 10 w/35lbs. (hold one dumbbell up while performing reps with other dumbbell, then alternate).

HeavyDutyGuy
11-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Near downtown is great. As you learn your way around, there are some great areas, just be patient. Know that is difficult with what you are going through, but just hang in there...definately paying for some past Karma or mojo out of whack or something.

I am adaptable, its my wife I am worreid about- Sucks cause I have been out going to work and seen way more than she has. Once we get another car that will change.
Downtown - less than a mile from us looks cool... our street- I think a slumlord owns one side of the block- our landlord- at least for now.
so cant wait to get her in a nicer place.

GerryT
11-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Look forward to seeing everyone again, on and off stage. All of you are going to raise the competitive quality of this show through the roof.

Matt, great workouts and will pass your greetings to Marijan. He is doing well and looking forward to next year. Should be near top of the hw class.

Thanksgiving greetings all around.

axioma
11-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Happy Thanksgiving RX! Had a great meal, didn't stuff, just right, however I will be hitting everything again in about 30min, then pie!

Lots to be grateful for. RX Masters group is one of those things. Have a down day, not feeling the love and BAM, out of the blue, a greeting or concern from one of you guys. Enjoy yourselves and back in the gym tomorrow!

V-Man
11-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family. Your right people like you on rx makes it all worthwhile.

Vito

v1hyp
11-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Happy Thanksgiving RX! Had a great meal, didn't stuff, just right, however I will be hitting everything again in about 30min, then pie!

Lots to be grateful for. RX Masters group is one of those things. Have a down day, not feeling the love and BAM, out of the blue, a greeting or concern from one of you guys. Enjoy yourselves and back in the gym tomorrow!

Same to you !

axioma
11-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Got two weeks before heading to Honduras. Not many gyms where we will be (looking at opening on near the beach near Roatan), so I will start my down time transition during this time. I am going to switch to supersets, giants and circuits from now until end of January. I will see how much of this muscle I keep, topped out at 245lbs. Want to have some wind in Honduras, not just sit around and eat. Xiomara's brothers are insane, so no telling what is going down when we get there. Viva la revolucion

KevinCouch
11-28-2010, 06:28 PM
OK Ax, You promised you were going to post some pics so let's see em at 247 pounds. Plus it's been two months since we've all taken measurements so I took mine again and posted them too. Me and Bill were the only two guys who have posted offseason pics of ourselves...now it's your turn my friend!!

Our Master's Road to the 2011 Master's Nationals Post Pics in here and post your measurements in the other thread called Actual Not Inflated Measurements

We're all in this together and trainin hard for the same golden ticket!!!

axioma
11-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Back and Chest Supersets:
1. 30degree incline smith presses: (no counterbalance) 4 sets, 2 sets x 315 x 12 w/
pull ups (different grips, all wider than shoulder) 4 x 12-15 (tough at 240lbs)
2. 20 degree dumbbell presses: 3 x 12, 21's w/110lbs
Smith bent over rows: 225 x 12 x 3
3. 30 degree flyes: 3 x 12 x 70
Dumbbell rows: 3 x 12 x 110

4. Dumbbell pullovers: 70 x 15 x 3
Good pump, felt particularly strong on the 21's. Did 7 bottoms, 7 tops, and 7 fulls w/2 second pause at the bottom.