PDA

View Full Version : Axioma's Journal and Journey to Masters Nationals 2011

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

axioma
02-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Speaking of kids....dave is only 43! whippersnapper!

Hammerfit
02-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Speaking of kids....dave is only 43! whippersnapper!

yeah it's his birthday Happy B Day big Dave He does look much older though:dunno:

axioma
02-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Today: Back

Took it relatively easy, keeping lower back braced as much as possible. Got a good pump, great stretch...no pain. Won't list exercises, nothing motivational here, just getting the job done with stimulation....not annihilation, lol.

Weight is still in the mid 220's. Fat on waist changing in the feel, getting more pliable, not as hard. Delts, arms getting veins and seperation. I will check BF% tomorrow if possible.

axioma
02-18-2011, 03:29 PM
I understand HeavyDuty's feelings about his experience....but the South is pretty great. Today it is in the low '70's, nice breeze, sunny. Should be that way all weekend. I will hit the gym, take the weekend off and lay around outside...maybe smoke one and sip some Cabo.
This all the southern hospitality I need...screw the postal workers...most are assholes...I used to work for the postal service, LOL!!!!! Have a great weekend guys and gals.

mrky03
02-18-2011, 05:34 PM
I understand HeavyDuty's feelings about his experience....but the South is pretty great. Today it is in the low '70's, nice breeze, sunny. Should be that way all weekend. I will hit the gym, take the weekend off and lay around outside...maybe smoke one and sip some Cabo.
This all the southern hospitality I need...screw the postal workers...most are assholes...I used to work for the postal service, LOL!!!!! Have a great weekend guys and gals.

I hear ya, he just had a bad experience. Woulda been the same anywhere under the circumstances. Generally speaking folks in the south are very accommodating. We may be coming down to Myrtle beach Memorial day weekend.

Mac
02-18-2011, 05:36 PM
We may be coming down to Myrtle beach Memorial day weekend.

I think we might be going back there again this summer. If not, the outer banks of NC.

Won't be for Memorial Day weekend, unfortunately.

freebirdmac
02-18-2011, 06:34 PM
We head to Hatteras in Sept. My favorite place :)

axioma
02-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Today: Quads
First time attempting any significant weight on squats since injuring back. Chiro is working and getting massage.
Single leg extensions: 4 sets of 15
Squats: (just below parallel, keeping tight) 5 x 10 x 315
Single leg presses: 4 x 12 x 450 supersetted w/
Single leg calf presses: 4 x 15 x 450
One long set of walking lunges, bodyweight only.
Back felt good, legs caught pumped, going to be sore.

KevinCouch
02-21-2011, 07:10 PM
First time attempting any significant weight on squats since injuring back. Chiro is working and getting massage.

Gettin it back Matt! Doing three plates again for squats...nice work! Keep that back stable, know how it feels.

Hammerfit
02-22-2011, 09:39 AM

Nice job Matt, that's a load of work to be "getting back" Great Job and watch that back

axioma
02-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Chest:
Flat bench: 3 x 8 x 315 w/drop 225 x 20
30degree incline dumbbell press: 4 x 12 x 95
15, 30 degree dmbl flyes: 4 x 12 x 65
Incline cable flyes: 4 x 15

Abs: 6 sets of 20 reps machine crunches superset w/dumbbell pullovers: 3 x 15 x 65

axioma
02-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Doctor, Heal Thyself! I took that advice and I am driving 50 miles for good chiro and muscular therapy. Great adjustment yesterday and I had my ASS KICKED today with deep tissue. Here I have been working on people, but I have not has a massage in 6 months!

freebirdmac
02-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Doctor, Heal Thyself! I took that advice and I am driving 50 miles for good chiro and muscular therapy. Great adjustment yesterday and I had my ASS KICKED today with deep tissue. Here I have been working on people, but I have not has a massage in 6 months!

D'oh :)

Glad you got your ass kicked. Gives me some pleasure after my hand slapping :p

KevinCouch
02-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Chest:
Flat bench: 3 x 8 x 315 w/drop 225 x 20
30degree incline dumbbell press: 4 x 12 x 95
15, 30 degree dmbl flyes: 4 x 12 x 65
Incline cable flyes: 4 x 15

Abs: 6 sets of 20 reps machine crunches superset w/dumbbell pullovers: 3 x 15 x 65

Dayum 315 for 8s. And you're just comin back! Is that Barbell or smith? Both impressive but if it's barbell... crap that's Hammer and Joe territory.

axioma
02-22-2011, 08:00 PM
barbell, but not hammer and joe. You see, I actually did separate sets...those guys would have supersetted cleans or widow whacked it or something thoroughly unsavory, lol. 'm trying to just improve.

Hammerfit
02-22-2011, 10:21 PM
barbell, but not hammer and joe. You see, I actually did separate sets...those guys would have supersetted cleans or widow whacked it or something thoroughly unsavory, lol. 'm trying to just improve.

Great Job Bro and this you call your comeback, can't wait to see in full force!

axioma
02-23-2011, 08:46 PM
off day. Eating chocolate...

freebirdmac
02-23-2011, 09:07 PM
off day. Eating chocolate...

I eat dark chocolate daily. It's at the top of my food pyramid :yep:

KevinCouch
02-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Never liked chocalote...something wrong with me I know.

axioma
02-24-2011, 08:42 AM
all dark, 70% cacoa plain, coconut almond, coffee (bits of coffee bean, Dave's favorite:yep:, mint, raspberry....which one grabs ya?

freebirdmac
02-24-2011, 08:53 AM
all dark, 70% cacoa plain, coconut almond, coffee (bits of coffee bean, Dave's favorite:yep:, mint, raspberry....which one grabs ya?

I eat Trader Joe's 73% organic dark chocolate.

Back when I could eat anything I wanted I still preferred plain chocolate. Only caramels could lure me into the flavored arena.

And yes Kevin, something is horribly wrong with you :hypno:

HeavyDutyGuy
02-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Chocolate?? Awesome for making the world seem a happier place..God I sound like Willy Wonka.

axioma
02-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Today : hams,shoulders,arms
Going out of town so need to hit everything
A.m. hams: upright leg curls (guess glass started it?) 4x12
Good mornings: 4x12
Reversed hacks:3x15

AnglicanBeachParty
02-25-2011, 09:33 AM

I get 8-packs of Baker's semi-sweet chocolate, like you would use for baking, and eat those. I often keep some in my car's glovebox, just in case of a Chocolate Emergency.

axioma
02-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Look @ healthy chocolate not only as great to eat,but as an antioxidant supplement as well. Check out the orac comparison on the ultrafit360 thread

axioma
02-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Hit Shoulders and Arms
Smith Presses: 4 x 12-10 x 225
Laterals: 3 x 12 x 30
Rear delt machine: 3 x 12
Upright dumbbell rows: 3 x 12 x 55

Seated dumbbell curls: 4 x 10 x 35-45
Hammer concentration curls: 3 x 12 x 40

Close grip bench: 4 x 12 x 225
Pushdowns vbar: 4 x 15

axioma
02-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Took the weekend off and GREW!!!!!!!
Went to Charleston and relaxed, walked and ate!
Oxtail tamales w/poached eggs at Hominy Grill
Golden tilefish w/mixed veggies, fennel salad and risotto.
Lots of oysters...
Snapper...swordfish...oh, and
gelatto and key lime pie.
Never got stuffed and the insane walking acted as a buffer, but I still am up 9 lbs.

Hammerfit
02-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Lots of oysters...
Never got stuffed and the insane walking acted as a buffer, but I still am up 9 lbs.

Living the good life~ good for you!

axioma
02-28-2011, 12:31 PM
It was nice. most of the weight probably water from the seafood, etc. I will begin contest prep in two weeks, so I need to get this all out of the way. I will post some photos then, as it was this time last year that I officially started, so it will be interesting to see how I compare.

axioma
02-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Mac, I just spoke to ALRI so that ball is now rolling.

Baldiewonkanobi
02-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Whoa...tamales in NC. :drool: Thought that would our Southwest secret. My little Latina honey sure can lay together a PJ sandwich. Guess who does the cooking in Baldie's lair.

Id give my left one to be up 9 pounds. (that would be a net 8 pounds 14 oz.)

Baldie

joedemarco
02-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Lots of oysters...

Awesome!

axioma
02-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Let's see how it holds. I'm sure some is glyco load and some is sodium related, but I'm taking notes sass all of it went into the muscle, looking very full, actually sharper than before the weekend. It didn't translate to big strength increase and was a bit lethargic.
I

axioma
02-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Quads
Extensions: 3 x 15 as warmup
Smith front squats: ^ 2 x 10@315, 225x20
Leg presses:^ 3x10@18 plates, 12 plates x 30 (different foot positions each 10)
Vertical squat machine: 20+ @225

axioma
03-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Had a miserable night...got food poisoning at a Nagoya(fast food Japanese!!). Belly swelled up like it was going to burst, headache, never vomited though...wish I had. Haven't eaten since 6p.m. last night...still can't get anything down. Got a full day here at the office too. Oh, for all of you guys who went to the site...we are giving away the Tanita bodycomp scale today...best of luck.

axioma
03-01-2011, 04:00 PM
We had a winner of the Tanita Ironman Scale! I don't think she is from RX, but she really pushed the Facebook connection.

Ok, get on board for the next giveaway! I think it is a Garmin...

axioma
03-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Today: Chest
Just now feeling better from the food poisoning...was on my deathbed...did I get card, call..."one thin mint?" Guess all you guys are busy these days...LOL.
Incline bench: warmups, slow cadence 3sec down x 2 sec up. 225 x 10, 275 x 8 x 2, drop: 225 x 8, 135 x 19.
Incline fly: same slow cadence: 3 x 8-6 x 65
Pec dec w/straight bar pullovers (lengthwise on bench): 3 x 8-10 (stack) 3 x 8 x 75lbs.
crossovers: 5 x 10

freebirdmac
03-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Lol! Glad you're feeling better :)

It has been rather quiet in here lately.

axioma
03-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Ok, I am about to start my precontest phase in a couple of weeks. That means two things:
1. what I have been doing up to that phase.
2. what I will be doing during that phase.

Up until now:
Training: Striving for consistency, making sure I have no imbalances, rehabing and preparing old injuries for what is to come. What I haven't done? Intensity multipliers or set extenders..drop sets, rest pause, negatives, forced reps, widow makers, ropadopes, whatever...Why? Well, frankly, if I were to do what some of these other guys have been doing I would blow my wad by April!
All those things are for precontest...increasing the intensity as I get closer. That is just me.

Diet: Huh? I have just followed the 80/20% ratio: 80%good, 20% not so good. If I want a beer, Jack and ginger, cigar I have it. As long as I get in my macros, I don't really care about nitpicking the details. Again, that is what precontest means to me. Granted, when I post my pictures, I will look like shit compared to guys like Joe, Kev and Mike. However...I know what my body will do. I look at what I looked like last year at this time and what I ended up looking like at the contest...despite sacrificing muscle to make the weight class. My diet this year will be of my own device...

Cardio: Again, huh? Up to this point, it has been to warmup or something to do for leisure...not integral to my training. I did use it to start back after the trip to Honduras, but that was just to boost my metabolism until my workouts progressed to the point of being "cardio in nature." I find cardio counter productive to gaining mass...JMO. My blood pressure is great, cholesterol great...kidneys, liver...so what I have done speaks for itself.

I have followed the friendly sparring between Joe and Kev...should be a great battle, especially when you factor in the unknowns. They are both returning champions. I have been aware of some guys lurking...following the thread but unwilling to post...cool. I was a disappointment to myself, my family and friends last year. Not this time...I got into this sport in 08 competing at 190lbs and not super lean. I will be on stage weighing around 210...20lbs. of "stage muscle" in 3 years...

This has been muscle built in my 40's....not "muscle memory"...I was a triathlete before...AND I am just under 5'10"...not tall, but by bodybuilding standards...not easy.

Preaching to the choir? Hello, I know the choir could give a crap...I am preaching to myself....SLAP, SLAP...BLP..can I get an AMEN?

axioma
03-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Lol! Glad you're feeling better :)

It has been rather quiet in here lately.

Careful what you wish for...lol, the BEAST is awake now!:yep:

Mac
03-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Amen brother!

Hammerfit
03-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Ok, I am about to start my precontest phase in a couple of weeks. That means two things:

Up until now:
Training: Striving for consistency, making sure I have no imbalances, rehabing and preparing old injuries for what is to come. What I haven't done? Intensity multipliers or set extenders..drop sets, rest pause, negatives, forced reps, widow makers, ropadopes, whatever...Why? Well, frankly, if I were to do what some of these other guys have been doing I would blow my wad by April!
All those things are for precontest...increasing the intensity as I get closer. That is just me.

Diet: Huh? I have just followed the 80/20% ratio: 80%good, 20% not so good. If I want a beer, Jack and ginger, cigar I have it. As long as I get in my macros, I don't really care about nitpicking the details. Again, that is what precontest means to me. Granted, when I post my pictures, I will look like shit compared to guys like Joe, Kev and Mike. However...I know what my body will do. I look at what I looked like last year at this time and what I ended up looking like at the contest...despite sacrificing muscle to make the weight class. My diet this year will be of my own device...

Cardio: Again, huh? Up to this point, it has been to warmup or something to do for leisure...not integral to my training. I did use it to start back after the trip to Honduras, but that was just to boost my metabolism until my workouts progressed to the point of being "cardio in nature." I find cardio counter productive to gaining mass...JMO. My blood pressure is great, cholesterol great...kidneys, liver...so what I have done speaks for itself.

I have followed the friendly sparring between Joe and Kev...should be a great battle, especially when you factor in the unknowns. They are both returning champions. I have been aware of some guys lurking...following the thread but unwilling to post...cool. I was a disappointment to myself, my family and friends last year. Not this time...I got into this sport in 08 competing at 190lbs and not super lean. I will be on stage weighing around 210...20lbs. of "stage muscle" in 3 years...

This has been muscle built in my 40's....not "muscle memory"...I was a triathlete before...AND I am just under 5'10"...not tall, but by bodybuilding standards...not easy.

Preaching to the choir? Hello, I know the choir could give a crap...I am preaching to myself....SLAP, SLAP...BLP..can I get an AMEN?

AMEN Bro, go get cha some

bryantone
03-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Today: Chest
Just now feeling better from the food poisoning...was on my deathbed...did I get card, call..."one thin mint?" Guess all you guys are busy these days...LOL.
Incline bench: warmups, slow cadence 3sec down x 2 sec up. 225 x 10, 275 x 8 x 2, drop: 225 x 8, 135 x 19.
Incline fly: same slow cadence: 3 x 8-6 x 65
Pec dec w/straight bar pullovers (lengthwise on bench): 3 x 8-10 (stack) 3 x 8 x 75lbs.
crossovers: 5 x 10
No sympathy cards/posts... You deserved it after posting all that shit you ate, then had rotten japanese food the next day.... what did you expect?:yep:

axioma
03-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Touche' and amen..wtf was I thinking?

Mac
03-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Touche' and amen..wtf was I thinking?

i think you need an AI

joedemarco
03-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Amen! Great post, Matt! Very motivating.

-BLP-
03-03-2011, 01:26 AM

Up until now:

honor,,, respect,,,

king axioma will crush th stage

this is our last national master overall winner about 5'10 , 210

axioma
03-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Back and Hams: combined out of necessity
Wide grip pullups: 4 x 8 super slow with squeeze at top and flare at bottom
rope pulldowns to waist: 3 x 8 x 120.
underhand hammer pulldowns: 3 x 10-8 x 2 plates
Seated wide grip cable rows: 3 x 8
all done with 2-3 second cadence each direction.

leg curls: 3 x 10-8
hypers w/bent knees to accentuate the hams: 3 x 10

KevinCouch
03-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Back and Hams: combined out of necessity
Wide grip pullups: 4 x 8 super slow with squeeze at top and flare at bottom
rope pulldowns to waist: 3 x 8 x 120.
underhand hammer pulldowns: 3 x 10-8 x 2 plates
Seated wide grip cable rows: 3 x 8
all done with 2-3 second cadence each direction.

leg curls: 3 x 10-8
hypers w/bent knees to accentuate the hams: 3 x 10

Matt, looks like you're getting your strength back, is your physique coming together about how you expected so far? When are u going to start precontest phase dieting?

axioma
03-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Precontest will start 3/12...my birthday. I will just look at this year compared to last year and that will tell me if I am on target. I think I am making improvements, definately...for me the key is keeping mass while dieting...I am just not a big eater!

Hammerfit
03-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Precontest will start 3/12...my birthday. I will just look at this year compared to last year and that will tell me if I am on target. I think I am making improvements, definately...for me the key is keeping mass while dieting...I am just not a big eater!

Got to eat to Grow Bro! If it wasn't for Lisa force feeding me I would just as soon not eat 6-8 times a day! She was freakin shoving chicken and broc in my mouth right when we got in the car yesterday after training!

Baldiewonkanobi
03-07-2011, 08:03 PM
This phase dieting thing is tough. I have but one phase... I force feed myself now 6-8 times a day incl. Almond nutt butter and jam sands for snacks and I am way way F'en too lean. The phases always intrigue me. This will be fun to watch you men prep. I will drop my 6-8 slices of whole grain bread per day and add 2 chicken breasts or buffalo patties. Is that a phase?

Baldie

axioma
03-07-2011, 08:24 PM
You are...well...Baldie...you are beyond phases. My phases talk is just me being wussy, too weak to eat like a real man...got to psyche!

axioma
03-07-2011, 09:12 PM
quads:
Squats: 5 x 20 x 225
Hacks: 3x 15 (heels up, sissy squat style)
Ext: 4x 10

axioma
03-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Decided to try to get up earlier and either do some cardio or workout...just to give myself more time to eat!

Chest:
Incline bench: 4 x 10 x 225
Incline fly: 4 x 12 x 70
Hammer incline: WS: 3 plates x 10 + rp
Pec dec: 5 x 10

axioma
03-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Got to eat to Grow Bro! If it wasn't for Lisa force feeding me I would just as soon not eat 6-8 times a day! She was freakin shoving chicken and broc in my mouth right when we got in the car yesterday after training!

things should get interesting....told xiomara..."see, see how much lisa loves mike?" So, I won't be talking much for awhile...she woke me from a dead sleep to "go drink your protein...I show you love"...one half dolla crazy bulgarian/honduran love me all day...

freebirdmac
03-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Hehe. Be careful of what you wish for :) Now you have no excuse.

Hammerfit
03-08-2011, 10:20 AM
things should get interesting....told xiomara..."see, see how much lisa loves mike?" So, I won't be talking much for awhile...she woke me from a dead sleep to "go drink your protein...I show you love"...one half dolla crazy bulgarian/honduran love me all day...

That's freakin funny! Xiomara gets it and she will love "helping" you along! We were just having this conversation last night about how couples who both are into this sport support each other so much more than couples that only have one person participating. We are both lucky to have such understanding best friends.

axioma
03-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Just stopped by gym, put 225 on flat bench and did it 27 times cold....my old workout partner did the same thing...at a different gym, we knew nothing about it...he did it 41 times. I think it was Haley McNeff's candid....grrrrrrrrr.

Hammerfit
03-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Just stopped by gym, put 225 on flat bench and did it 27 times cold....my old workout partner did the same thing...at a different gym, we knew nothing about it...he did it 41 times. I think it was Haley McNeff's candid....grrrrrrrrr.

wow those are NFL numbers

axioma
03-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Ok, been lax on posting the workouts...this chocolate thing is blowing up!
Today: Shoulders Hams
Laterals: 4 x 12-10 x 25-35
alt. front: 3 x 12 x 35
rear laterals on incline bench: 3 x 12 x 25
Hammer press: 4 x 12 x 225
Rack pulls: 3 x 10 x 405

Leg curls: 4 x 12 x 150-175
walking lunges: 6 x 10 w/25 dbls.

axioma
03-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Birthday today. Waiting to get haircut from the racist, redneck barber! Got 6 people ahead of me, they barely have any freakin hair and they want a trim! They are speaking "english" and I can't follow a word these all american patriots are saying...
Going to pull a 737 jet with 11 other guys in a few hours...should be fun.

Hammerfit
03-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Birthday today. Waiting to get haircut from the racist, redneck barber! Got 6 people ahead of me, they barely have any freakin hair and they want a trim! They are speaking "english" and I can't follow a word these all american patriots are saying...
Going to pull a 737 jet with 11 other guys in a few hours...should be fun.

Happy Birthday Big Bro! Now thats the way to celebrate! pull a 737 jet

Mac
03-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Have a happy B-day Matt.

Wetdawg
03-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Happy Birthday AXIOMA!

freebirdmac
03-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Happy Birthday!!!

Jet pulling.. what a way to celebrate! :)

Marijan Lipsinic
03-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Happy Birthday big guy! Have a wonderful day!

Baldiewonkanobi
03-12-2011, 02:53 PM
No less than a You Tube vid of that pull...OK?

Happy Birthday bro

Baldie

joedemarco
03-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Happy B-day Matt!!!

KevinCouch
03-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Happy Birthday Matt!

axioma
03-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the bday wishes! We placed second in the pull! Ill get vid posted! Details tomorrow!

HeavyDutyGuy
03-13-2011, 07:32 PM
A belated Happy Birthday!!

axioma
03-14-2011, 03:23 PM
This the team that pulled the 110,000lb 737. 50 feet in 19 seconds. The winning team was a football team...outweighed us by 1000lbs and beat us by only 3 seconds. You can tell we weren't exactly yoked, but we had alot of pound for pound horsepower!

Ok, maybe file is too big...won't load.

axioma
03-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Squats: pyramid up to 385 x 12 x 2, drop 315, 225 x 12, 18.
Hacks: WS 3 x 10 x 3 plates per side, then drop and finish with sissy squats style x 25.
Extensions: 4 x 10
One leg press: 4 x 10 x 2plates per side
calves, abs.

a.m. weight: 229.6

Hammerfit
03-14-2011, 03:37 PM
This the team that pulled the 110,000lb 737. 50 feet in 19 seconds. The winning team was a football team...outweighed us by 1000lbs and beat us by only 3 seconds. You can tell we weren't exactly yoked, but we had alot of pound for pound horsepower!

Ok, maybe file is too big...won't load.

Sounds like a blast!

axioma
03-14-2011, 04:15 PM
This was my starting point last year...

axioma
03-14-2011, 04:18 PM
230lbs., no pump (obviously) about the same fat % as last year, maybe a tad more?

axioma
03-14-2011, 04:25 PM
I started at 220 last year and was in my best shape at 205-207. As you know, I competed at 198.

I think I will continue to grow...maybe try 235 before really tightening the diet and adding cardio. Oh yea, this condition, if you can call it that, represents zero cardio and eating whatever I want and only 1 month of hrt under my belt.

I know I need to continue with upper/middle chest, and lower lats, mid back development AND come in the condition I was at 198. What do you guys think? Can I hit the stage at 210? That is what I have to do not to get eaten by Roller and company. Or should I continue to grow and hit it next year? Top 10 doesn't interest me...if I can't contend for top 5, then growing it is!

axioma
03-14-2011, 04:35 PM
I was 207 here and not really full...as I had 198 in my head to be successful. I think I can achieve this and be full this year.

Mac
03-14-2011, 04:58 PM
I think that if you shoot for 210, you will lose that conditioning that makes you standout from the others.

If you're out to play the size game, don't hit the stage this year. Are you willing to take the supplements necessary to compete with the big boys?

Baldiewonkanobi
03-14-2011, 04:59 PM
OK lets look at Rodney. What sets him apart is his amazing traps and calfs. His pecs are however pfucked up. I sure hope my tear does not look like his in the end. His left side front delts are also mis matched from the right. From the tear?? Also makes his gyno look weird. If you end up next to him....traps and calf bro....traps and calf.

I believe that a confident radiant aesthetic/'pretty' physique could beat him. 205?

Baldie

axioma
03-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Im going to train as if I am competing, see what I look like in May.

freebirdmac
03-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Where's the video?

axioma
03-14-2011, 09:20 PM
The plane pull? Let figure it out! I'm learning!
Baldie, you saying 205 comp weight?

bryantone
03-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Post your competition, and your pics for a better comparison.

Hammerfit
03-15-2011, 08:58 AM
How much LBM do you think you have put on in the off season? It's hard to tell just from looking at the (2) before pics. As you know conditioning wins most all shows. However when the top 15 is all well conditioned the mass is going to play into the equation. So my point is if you can (have) added a few pounds of muscle since last year, then get back to the level of conditioning you had last year, which was spot on. We can't try and hit a number, just have to shred down at what we have and see what it looks like. If I had to guess at the number based on what I see.....203-205? I like Joe's analogy the best about coming down and keeping muscle and I am currently working towards that; while doing cardio and dieting down lift as heavy as possible, especially for legs. I know I got caught up in the depleating crap last year and lost some size. I believe it is possible to diet and cardio away the bf while hanging on to the muscle, you just have to figure how to do that for yourself. For me it has been keeping my carbs moderate(last year I starved myself and it backfired) and keeping the cardio moderate intensity. Good Luck, I know you know what to do and will show up to do battle for the top spot.

axioma
03-15-2011, 09:13 AM
I figure I have put on 9lbs LM since last year. I am just doing this logic...someone correct me if I am wrong:
Last year: 218 @ 12-14% BF when starting. Comp ready at 205, lost mass to get to 198. All things equal, without any gains, I should be able to hit the stage at 205, right?
This year: 229.6 @ 12-14% BF. My logic says 205 easy and possible 210? I haven't even begun a precontest cycle...clean eating...and cardio actual ramps up metabolism so I can eat more. Am I off base here?

Mac
03-15-2011, 09:16 AM
I am sure you can come in at 210, but at what stage of conditioning?

Don't get hung up on the scale, but go by how you look.

KevinCouch
03-15-2011, 09:52 AM
without not worrying too much about the scale Matt and let the mirror be your best judge you should be between 207-210 IMO. You'll be even harder and leaner than last year guaranteed. I wouldn't even worry about the Roellers of the world, your physiqiue is far more symmetrical. You got a great plan and with your wife's help you'll stay the course and come in 2011 heavier and harder!! Looking forward to it.

axioma
03-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Chest:
Incline machine w/neutral grip: (to get blood into the upper/mid chest region where I am underdeveloped) 4 x 15 x 250
Flat Bench: WS 3 x 10 x 315, drop to 225 x 16
Incline dbl presses: WS 3 x 12-10 x 105 (slow cadence, pause at bottom)
Incline flyes: different angle each set: 4 x 10 x 65
Incline machine(same as beginning) 3 drops set down the stack from 270

I'm just sitting here looking at Kevin's Roman torso armour avatar and getting pissed...lol. This is what I am shooting for...but coming to grips with the fact that it may take me two more years to fill out a 4" taller frame!

As far as Heavies, I just mentioned Roeller because he said he was coming back this year...but I think the class will be stacked this year...bigger than last year. Marjian with a little more conditioning will be the man...Dave received a gift in my opinion last year...2-4 were the best looking physiques.

KevinCouch
03-15-2011, 02:16 PM
As far as Heavies, I just mentioned Roeller because he said he was coming back this year...but I think the class will be stacked this year...bigger than last year. Marjian with a little more conditioning will be the man...Dave received a gift in my opinion last year...2-4 were the best looking physiques.

Your class was stacked last year. What like 35 LH? You said a few post above that you haven't even started your precontest "protocol" and you're around 230. OK...I believe you're gonna do a little growing into your contest Matt along with losing bodyfat. Main reason, you have been doing HRT or nothing at all the past few months. Once you get going with ALL your prep I think you'll be closer to 210 if you eat enough food and don't let the scale bother you. You've got a beatiful wife and female BB who WILL give it to you straight! Don't overdo cardio my friend.....

axioma
03-15-2011, 02:30 PM
I agree and good advice! I have always put on 3-4lbs of muscle while prepping...just me.

axioma
03-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Guys and gals, I am going to dial back the journal entries for awhile. I will have a blog up and going by the end of the week and will post detailed workout info there and I will also have some great guest contributors. I will post a formal invite closer to launch.

Also, I will not post my weight on exercises...just sets and reps. Why? Several reasons: 1. I am just not that impressive with the amount of weight I lift. Any of the competitors on this forum can outlift me, hell, the welters and mids are stronger. 2. It gets me out of my game. I have come to realize that I have alot, ALOT of injuries (look at early posts for the detailed list) that need to be rehabed and worked around. 3. I lift based on intensity. Of course, I add resistance by way of weight increases or reps, but the real key to my gains in such a short amount of time is the intensity level and the ability to focus on key areas.

Also, Baldie called me yesterday with some Tough Love! Regardless of who shows up in the Heavies...I need to make some serious improvements on my physique. Baldie did leave me with some encouragement...he said I had a "pretty physique". This is big compliment coming from a man who has witnessed and trained with what I would consider the "prettiest", most aestethic physiques ever.

I really liked Zane's interview with Dave at the Arnold. When asked who he likes these days...he responded, "No one...none of them look the way I would want to look"...(paraphrasing)..don't want a time-out, lol. He is right...there is not ONE physique out there competing as a pro that I would want to look like...NOT ONE! I guess my ship sailed 20+ years ago as far as physiques that inspire me. I HAVE TO COMPETE FOR ME, TO ACHIEVE MY GOALS.

Who's fault? Well, you have to blame the judges! Judges who own supplement companies, make their living on the the industry...are dictated to by the media...who in turn is dictated to by their demographic....???? Twenty-somethings who are hooked on the mass train...addicted to steroids and BELIEVE the shit the magazines tell them. Until you get rid of these current judges...or at least have some judges who are outspoken in their disgust of pros looking like shit..(Kevin Levrone shares this sentiment)...then you get what you get. The best looking physiques are top 5 national level guys and gals...or better yet...top 3 State level.

rant over.

joedemarco
03-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Guys and gals, I am going to dial back the journal entries for awhile. I will have a blog up and going by the end of the week and will post detailed workout info there and I will also have some great guest contributors. I will post a formal invite closer to launch.

Also, I will not post my weight on exercises...just sets and reps. Why? Several reasons: 1. I am just not that impressive with the amount of weight I lift. Any of the competitors on this forum can outlift me, hell, the welters and mids are stronger. 2. It gets me out of my game. I have come to realize that I have alot, ALOT of injuries (look at early posts for the detailed list) that need to be rehabed and worked around. 3. I lift based on intensity. Of course, I add resistance by way of weight increases or reps, but the real key to my gains in such a short amount of time is the intensity level and the ability to focus on key areas.

Also, Baldie called me yesterday with some Tough Love! Regardless of who shows up in the Heavies...I need to make some serious improvements on my physique. Baldie did leave me with some encouragement...he said I had a "pretty physique". This is big compliment coming from a man who has witnessed and trained with what I would consider the "prettiest", most aestethic physiques ever.

I really liked Zane's interview with Dave at the Arnold. When asked who he likes these days...he responded, "No one...none of them look the way I would want to look"...(paraphrasing)..don't want a time-out, lol. He is right...there is not ONE physique out there competing as a pro that I would want to look like...NOT ONE! I guess my ship sailed 20+ years ago as far as physiques that inspire me. I HAVE TO COMPETE FOR ME, TO ACHIEVE MY GOALS.

Who's fault? Well, you have to blame the judges! Judges who own supplement companies, make their living on the the industry...are dictated to by the media...who in turn is dictated to by their demographic....???? Twenty-somethings who are hooked on the mass train...addicted to steroids and BELIEVE the shit the magazines tell them. Until you get rid of these current judges...or at least have some judges who are outspoken in their disgust of pros looking like shit..(Kevin Levrone shares this sentiment)...then you get what you get. The best looking physiques are top 5 national level guys and gals...or better yet...top 3 State level.

rant over.

Great post, Matt! Just do your own thing. You have a physique that can win shows. Don't worry about the scale. Personally, I think you should be able to be competition ready around 210. However, with your lines, you will look 220-225 on stage so who cares what the others weight.

axioma
03-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks Joe...for just reading that rant, lol.

One thing that has been bothering me...I tend to empathize with all kinds of situations and people...is the disaster in Japan. I really have a hard time going about my business when people are waking to the vision of thousands of bodies washed up on shore...knowing that a loved one is among them.

This was on a news service:

Immediately after the quake, Katsutaro Hamada, 79, fled to safety with his wife. But then he went back home to retrieve a photo album of his granddaughter, 14-year-old Saori, and grandson, 10-year-old Hikaru.
Just then the tsunami came and swept away his home. Rescuers found Hamada's body, crushed by the first floor bathroom walls. He was holding the album to his chest, Kyodo news agency reported.

I have seen my share of devastation and disasters...I saw the effects of bombing in Afghanistan...visited the refugee camps...delivered water and duct tape after Katrina...etc., etc., however what sticks out the most, personally was when our house burned down. I was 7 or 8...we lost everything...well, my Dad lost everything, as a kid you never fully understand the ramifications until later. I just remember my brother getting burned saving our dogs...the look on my mom's face and the sound my Dad made when he pulled up. It sounded like a wolf giving it's dying howl...that sound scared me more than anything. When I see the mourners...the displaced...I think of that howl and my heart goes out to them.

axioma
03-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Back:
Assisted chins: 4 x 12 (realized that while I could do regular chins, I was using too much shoulder, aggravating old rotator injury. I got the feel and didn't recruit abs and hip flexors as I would on Pulldowns)
Bent bar rows: 4 x 10 (arnold style, feet together on a bench, bar to feet and pulling to the sternum. Easier to use more weight when taking it off a rack and hoisting them up Dorian style, but that didn't hit my lats.)
Hammer hi/lo pulls, underhand: 4 x 10 w/pause in contracted position
Straight arm cable pullovers superset with wide grip pulls behind neck: 3 x 12
Hypers w/25lbs.: 3 x 20

Machine crunches: 4 x 15
one leg standing calf raise: bodyweight 4 x 15-12
Seated one leg: 4 x 20 ea. leg

axioma
03-16-2011, 07:12 PM
P.M.
30 minutes cardio
more back, high rep, pumping and posing
stretch

fatbackgoal
03-16-2011, 08:56 PM

rant over.

Very well said and I would agree 100% with you. Best of luck to you!

HeavyDutyGuy
03-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Focus Matt. What is it you really want?

KevinCouch
03-17-2011, 12:54 PM
[quote=axioma;1370467]Guys and gals, I am going to dial back the journal entries for awhile. I will have a blog up and going by the end of the week and will post detailed workout info there and I will also have some great guest contributors. I will post a formal invite closer to launch.

Matt, do your own thing brother and don't worry about what weights, sets and reps others are doing. If I thought about my competitor's weights they were using (Demarco) I would quit and take up knitting or something. Do what you YOU do to build quality muscle. At our age injuries DO hold you back got plenty of my own just work around them and you will be spot on at the Masters if you decide to do it.

You don't have any lagging bodyparts very well proportioned. I would agree with baldie about to be at the top of heavies 220lbs you would need to gain muscle mass all over probably 10 to 12 pounds. I would guess take a year or two to get there. Decide whether or not you want to go down that road.

Twenty-somethings who are hooked on the mass train...addicted to steroids and BELIEVE the shit the magazines tell them. Until you get rid of these current judges...or at least have some judges who are outspoken in their disgust of pros looking like shit..(Kevin Levrone shares this sentiment)...then you get what you get. The best looking physiques are top 5 national level guys and gals...or better yet...top 3 State level.

Agreed! Back in the 90s when I competed (IMO when BB was at its best) There were lots of pros that I aspired to look like. Lee Labrada, Shawn Ray, Francis Benfatti, and even the bigger guys Kevin Levrone, Flex Wheeler and even Ronnie Coleman had a small waist back then. BB has taken steps in the wrong direction and today if you're not willing to play russian roullette with your body and mortgage the house for gear then you NOT in it to win it as a pro. That said, at the national NPC shows you CAN do very well and even win your class with a much safer protocol, well- muscled symmetrical physique if you come in shredded!! Like you said are best looking physiques today...not the overgrown bloated pros.

axioma
03-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks for that, Kev. You and I agree 100%. As far as bodyparts...I need to really bring up my traps, hams, upper chest and calves.

Traps have been an issue for two reasons: shoulder injuries and wide clavicles. Shrugs put alot of pressure on the clavicular attachment.

Hams are responding, they will be there.

Upper chest...just one of those things. Doing more close grip and preexhaust.

Calves, respond quick...they are getting better. They just don't show till showtime.

I spent a good deal of time looking at vid from the show last night...several different angles. This is my impression:
Can't even begin to realize the damage of losing 5lbs of muscle in two weeks...not on my small frame. Lost hams and back...so guessing what I will look like based on last year is irrelevant. I will be AT LEAST 10 lbs heavier and fuller.
Got off my gameplan! Just freaked out by the big show! Someone suggested I eat granola with added raw oats! Serious bloat, lost my midsection.

I was sick...two week later I had pneumonia...so I was sick at Pitt. The deplete went too long and was too severe.
Chris Aceto said the pros don't suffer enough...maybe they don't, but I remember what several members here said when they heard that I was going from 207 to 198 in two weeks..."Dave is killing him!"
I know what suffering is guys...however it will be within a frame work of productive suffering...not Auschwitz.

I am using less PED than last year and I am bigger and fuller. I will add compounds slowly and only when there is a plateau...not just because it says so on the calendar.

Heavy Duty, my focus is in achieving my physique goals, as long as I am supported by my family, I feel that they are achievable within the boundaries of good health and I don't get hurt so bad that is detrimental to my health. The only reason I would compete is to: 1. achieve a level of conditioning only possible for a show and 2. utilize the rebound after for enhanced growth and development.
Mac, do I want to play the mass game? No, but 220 on my frame is reasonable and possible. It would put me in the size of the 80's and early 90's. The big question is it possible at my age? Most guys competing in Masters already have the size, they have had it for years. They might go up a little here and there, but mostly they are trying to get the conditioning down.
2007: 178 at the Anderson Sprint Triathlon.
2010: 207 in the same condition. I think 215 in 2012 is doable.

axioma
03-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Pam, I still haven't gotten around to posting the plane pull video. Here is a clip that the local paper did...I am wearing a black Coop's gym visor...looking fat and winded, lol.
http://www.independentmail.com/videos/detail/anderson-team-pulls-boeing-737/?partner=yahoo_feeds

axioma
03-18-2011, 06:22 AM
ok, headed to gym...arms. Lower back is fried from the squats, bar rows...stiff legs last night...really achy. Morning weight was 230.6! Legs are rubbing together....ewwww. Arms are rubbing the lats.....mmmmmm.

Had a dream last night that I became a minator and had really crazy sex with Z! I think that means (along with a host of issues only Dr. Phil could touch) is that it is time I shave the winter fur....I do it in the back yard....the birds use it in their nests...all part of Circle of Life!

Wetdawg
03-18-2011, 06:37 AM
ok, headed to gym...arms. Lower back is fried from the squats, bar rows...stiff legs last night...really achy. Morning weight was 230.6! Legs are rubbing together....ewwww. Arms are rubbing the lats.....mmmmmm.

Had a dream last night that I became a minator and had really crazy sex with Z! I think that means (along with a host of issues only Dr. Phil could touch) is that it is time I shave the winter fur....I do it in the back yard....the birds use it in their nests...all part of Circle of Life!

Damn dude! What are you taking to help you sleep, LSD?? LOL

axioma
03-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Yesterday:
Hams, shoulders
SLDL w/dumbbells: 4 x 15
Leg Curls: 4 x 10-12 w/drop
Walking lunges: 60+

(feel like I need to emphasize certain areas to shape delts and work on trap tie-in. Overall size is good)
Upright cable rows: 4 x 10
Front cable (between legs) raise superset w/laterals (really raising pinkie to hit mid/rear tie-in)
rear delt machine: 4 x 15

axioma
03-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Damn dude! What are you taking to help you sleep, LSD?? LOL

I cleaned out the cabinet....finished up the last of everything p.m. ZMK, Lipotrophin P.M., dostinex...Somalyze...yea, that's it. Awesome cocktail...oh, oh, forgot about the Cuban Cohiba I smoked on the way home...freakin high...just cruisin..."Whatzz up?"...boppin the head like a Pez dispenser...

axioma
03-18-2011, 10:55 AM
Today: Arms
Concentration curls off end of incline bench: 4 x 10
close grip cable curls: 4 x 10
Alt dbl hammer curls: 3 x 10 w/drop

Pushdowns: 4 x 15-8
Close grip incline bench press: 4 x 12-10
Low cable kickbacks: 3 x 10 superset w/bodyweight nose breakers on Smith machine.

axioma
03-18-2011, 03:39 PM
arms were 19 3/4 pumped today. I REALLY want to hit the 20" mark before strict diet (because they will SHRINK!). For a little guy, that is a milestone...

KevinCouch
03-18-2011, 03:42 PM
arms were 19 3/4 pumped today. I REALLY want to hit the 20" mark before strict diet (because they will SHRINK!). For a little guy, that is a milestone...

Yea little guy with 20 inch guns? You aint right..........

Hammerfit
03-18-2011, 05:25 PM

yeah maybe u be eating too much of that chocolate...lol...get em up to 22" so they will shrink to 20!

Baldiewonkanobi
03-18-2011, 07:05 PM
I knew it. I am doing something wrong. Too much info in this thread. 20" what? The chocolate and Dostinex I get. I am so so confused. If it were not for the 20 something girlie clerk at CVS pharmacy turning bright red and telling me I looked buff for a 50 year old this afternoon I would re think the course I have this old vessel pointed in. Geeeeesh. 20".

Baldie

axioma
03-19-2011, 12:14 PM
They are not 2o"......yet!

Actually, i am cutting back on the chocolate as it is such a powerful appetite suppressant. It will be part of my arsenal once the serious diet starts!

I think i am going through a little growth spurt...holding 227-230 a.m. Without any problem now. Also, i am in constant "ripping off the bone" pain in the legs, hips, back, biceps...areas i am really hitting. Trying not to use nasaids, however i needed 400mg and 30 minutes of intense stretching to get back to sleep....this is where it begins.

axioma
03-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Terrible sciatic pain all weekend. Stretching every couple of hours, Z putting a heel into hip, IT band...sob! Changing split, leading week with:
mon. Chest
Tues. Back
Wed. Arms
Thu. Legs
Fri. Shoulders

Been several months on prior split, time to change.

axioma
03-22-2011, 06:34 AM
Yesterday: Chest
Incline bench: 15, 12, 8, 6 + drop x15
Incline hammer: 3 x 12 x 3plates w/forced reps
slight incline dbl fly: 4 x 10-12

This a.m. back. Went to chiro...crazy sciatic pain...just freaking annoying as hell. Standing talking to someone and it fires, hip, quad and tibialis...try not to whince.

Mac
03-22-2011, 06:49 AM
Freak avi picture!!!!

Hope your pain gets under control. I can relate to this all too well.

axioma
03-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks Mac, that Avi was June, 215lbs. That is why I feel I can get there again with better conditioning.

Mac
03-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Thanks Mac, that Avi was June, 215lbs. That is why I feel I can get there again with better conditioning.

Wow, that was at 215 and your comp. weight was 198?

You lost some serious muscle bro, cause you're very conditioned in that picture.

axioma
03-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Back:
Pullups: 3 x 12
Wide grip pulldowns w/straight bar: 3 x 12-8 superset w/
Straight arm pulldowns
Dumbbell rows: (standing, hand braced on thigh) 4 x 10
Close grip cable rows: 3 x 12
Close grip pulldowns: 3 x 8
Dumbbell shrugs: Down rack x 12 ea. weight

axioma
03-22-2011, 09:16 AM
I know, I figure I had 5-7lbs to lose in that condition. That is why I feel I can dial in 210 this year. I lost that roundness in the muscle belly once I went below 205! I think I will be close to that condition in a few weeks at 220. I still have not started cardio.

joedemarco
03-22-2011, 09:39 AM
If that was your condition at 215 last year then you should be just fine at or around that weight this year by July. I don't see why you would come in any lighter then that.

KevinCouch
03-22-2011, 10:33 AM
If you're last year's ideal weight would have been 205-207 before you dropped down to get to 198. I seriously believe you can be at 210-212 and shredded. Getterdun!!!

axioma
03-22-2011, 11:27 AM
I'll hold you to that, lol!

axioma
03-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Yesterday: Shoulders
Cable side laterals: 4 x 12
Cross body single arm fly (for anterior delt/pec tie-in) 3 x 12
Dumbbell shrugs: 5 x 10, drop, drop superset w/
front raise w/45lbs plate 5 x 15
Hammer shoulder press: 4 x 12-8 pyramid
Superman high crossovers: 4 x 12

abs, calves

axioma
03-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Today: Legs
Seated leg curls: 4 x 12
squats: 5 x 10 pyramid, drop
Leg presses: 5 x 15 pyramid, drop, drop
front squats: 3 x 12
Walking lunges: 4 x 10 superset w/alt.single leg curls 4 x 12

axioma
03-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Usually my legs get so pumped I can't see any seperation after a workout, however the cut between quad and ham was very deep...so on the right track.

Baldiewonkanobi
03-24-2011, 01:06 PM
:confused: OK everything clear but "Supermans" BTW I love the 45 lb. plate front delts.

Baldie

axioma
03-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Not seeing the Superman's....did I mistype "supersets"?

Mac
03-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Not seeing the Superman's....did I mistype "supersets"?

Thinking about putting your cape on, eh?

freebirdmac
03-24-2011, 06:51 PM

Maybe he needs memory pills :p

KevinCouch
03-24-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm the first person to ask. Matt is that you in your avi? Holy S******T
For real?

axioma
03-25-2011, 09:08 AM

Ok, ok....I do those like "superman" flying or something, hell IDK. You start with arms crossed in the overhead position and pull apart and down finishing in the back double bi position, flexed.

:p:p..thanks.

axioma
03-25-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm the first person to ask. Matt is that you in your avi? Holy S******T
For real?

Uhhh, yeeeess...NO. That is the czech guy, I forget his name...Dave had a video of him in Central and he bombed in the Arnold. However, that shot inspires me so I decided to put it up for awhile just to motivate my ass....couldn't very well put up an avi of you or mac...that would be just tooooo homo..OMG...:hmn:

Hammerfit
03-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Uhhh, yeeeess...NO. That is the czech guy, I forget his name...Dave had a video of him in Central and he bombed in the Arnold. However, that shot inspires me so I decided to put it up for awhile just to motivate my ass....couldn't very well put up an avi of you or mac...that would be just tooooo homo..OMG...:hmn:

That avi is sic!

HeavyDutyGuy
03-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Get your back like that and you win win your class!

KevinCouch
03-25-2011, 12:35 PM
couldn't very well put up an avi of you or mac...that would be just tooooo homo..OMG...:hmn:

I posted a pic of my back on my thread yesterday that wouldn't motivate you but it WOULD make you feel pretty damn good about yourself. I've eaten I guess one too many double cheeseburgers:yep:

mrky03
03-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Holy crapp Ax, I was going to ask if that was you! I see you're well on your way though!

axioma
03-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Starting new split:
Day 1: Heavy chest/shoulders/tri/abs
Day 2: Legs/back/bi's/calves
rest
Day 3: light chest/shoulders/tri/abs
rest
Day 4: legs/back/bi's/calves
rest
repeat

Day 1:
Bench: 15,15,8,4,4
Fly: 3 x 8
Shoulder Press: 3 x 8
Tricep extension: 3 x 10
V-ups: 3 x 15
incline crunch: 3 x 15

axioma
03-28-2011, 09:30 AM
I posted a pic of my back on my thread yesterday that wouldn't motivate you but it WOULD make you feel pretty damn good about yourself. I've eaten I guess one too many double cheeseburgers:yep:

Your modesty overwhelms...no your "fat" back looks better than my contest back...wider, thicker, still shows muscle seperation...

Hammerfit
03-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Starting new split:
Day 1: Heavy chest/shoulders/tri/abs
Day 2: Legs/back/bi's/calves
rest
Day 3: light chest/shoulders/tri/abs
rest
Day 4: legs/back/bi's/calves
rest
repeat

Day 1:
Bench: 15,15,8,4,4
Fly: 3 x 8
Shoulder Press: 3 x 8
Tricep extension: 3 x 10
V-ups: 3 x 15
incline crunch: 3 x 15

Day 4: legs/back/bi's/calves[ Holy Chit Batman what are using for energy to do all that in one session...jet fuel?

axioma
03-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Very limited sets. Leg day 1 consists of squats and leg curls only, Leg day 2 squats and stiff legged.
The emphasis is chest here...trying to really fill out the pecs so they hang. When I diet down, I lose the volume, they look muscular but flat. After 6 weeks, I will switch to a back emphasis program.
If you look at what I did today, just 2 exercises for chest, 1 shoulder and 1 tricep, that's it.

axioma
03-28-2011, 12:17 PM
No...this aint me! Decided to get rid of the gnarly back and focus on the ponderous pecs of the Oak. this is my visualization.

freebirdmac
03-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Those pectorals don't look real!

KevinCouch
03-28-2011, 12:45 PM
No...this aint me! Decided to get rid of the gnarly back and focus on the ponderous pecs of the Oak. this is my visualization.

I was going to say that your pecs look pretty good to me in your avi Matt..

KevinCouch
03-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Very limited sets. Leg day 1 consists of squats and leg curls only, Leg day 2 squats and stiff legged.
The emphasis is chest here...trying to really fill out the pecs so they hang. When I diet down, I lose the volume, they look muscular but flat. After 6 weeks, I will switch to a back emphasis program.
If you look at what I did today, just 2 exercises for chest, 1 shoulder and 1 tricep, that's it.

That training split also resembles something like the "Oak" would have done in the 70s....now I'm getting it. Avi photo, training split. I'm a little slow but I usually catch on.....

axioma
03-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Day 4: legs/back/bi's/calves[ Holy Chit Batman what are using for energy to do all that in one session...jet fuel?

You are looking beastly to say the least...

axioma
03-28-2011, 01:54 PM
That training split also resembles something like the "Oak" would have done in the 70s....now I'm getting it. Avi photo, training split. I'm a little slow but I usually catch on.....

Well, the split is similiar, however the volume is much less. I am focusing on building strength...then mass! So after the two phases, I will then increase volume and it will look like "back in the day..."

axioma
03-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Those pectorals don't look real!

Those are 1974 vintage...many consider the pinnacle of Arnold for combination of mass and conditioning.

mrky03
03-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Those are 1974 vintage...many consider the pinnacle of Arnold for combination of mass and conditioning.

That's how I want to look when I GROW UP! LOL

axioma
03-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Off day. Shoulder is acting up...really louds metallic clicks precursor for giving out competely!

Went to see Prince in concert Monday night. Tuesday workout suffered a bit, lol.

I have decided I am too old for concerts...I just can't stand to get around 8K+ people, half of which were cackling, drunk hair dressers....I had a really, really great rant...naaa, just let it go.

axioma
03-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Oh, forgot the best news...Z and I are on antibiotics...we will do two complete rounds to knock this out...we have bronchitis and I am on verge of pneumonia...AGAIN. The super intense early Spring has only made things worse. I was wondering why I am not gaining...strength stagnant and a general malaise. I am just sitting on the sidelines watching Joe and Mike push more and more weight with increasing intensity...

AnglicanBeachParty
03-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Oh, forgot the best news...Z and I are on antibiotics...we will do two complete rounds to knock this out...we have bronchitis and I am on verge of pneumonia...AGAIN. The super intense early Spring has only made things worse. I was wondering why I am not gaining...strength stagnant and a general malaise. I am just sitting on the sidelines watching Joe and Mike push more and more weight with increasing intensity...

Damn ... I hope you both start feeling better soon!

freebirdmac
03-30-2011, 01:41 PM
No kidding! You guys feel better very soon!

gman
03-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Ditto...get well soon! This damn weather isn't helping much

Hammerfit
03-30-2011, 04:28 PM

Damn Bro, I'm sorry to hear that, this pollen sucks! I haven't got the sinus infection back (yet) but I have to hit the Efrin every night to be able to breath! Hope you heal up fast.

joedemarco
03-30-2011, 04:43 PM

Big Matt, hope you and Z recover quickly!

axioma
03-30-2011, 05:00 PM
We are having some serious rain right now, so hopefully that will help. I was reading some of the Boorstein (sp) interview and alot of what he says makes sense (a good bit doesn't, oh well) about making sure you really kill anything before gearing up or going into contest mode. Sometimes we think we are well, but we are low grade, just simmering. We went to bed at 7:30 last night....no hanky, panky either! Z is crazy, she just keeps going...kind of got that "I'll kill it before it kills me" predatory thing going...worked out at 5:30 a.m. and going back for a Zumba class tonight! I'm a wimp!

Mac
03-30-2011, 05:21 PM
I hope you two recover quickly.

axioma
03-31-2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks Mac, I think the antibios are starting to take effect. The nagging cough is much less severe and energy level was better this a.m.

axioma
03-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Heavy Chest Day:
Incline Bench: warmup x 2, 2 x 5, 2 x 3, 1 x 1
flat dumbbell presses: 3 x 6
dumbbell shoulder presses: 3 x 8
Laterals: 3 x 8
Pushdowns: 3 x 8
hanging leg raises: 3 x 20

I will do flat bench on higher rep days and incline on heavy days, as it has less impact on rotator cuff.

mrky03
03-31-2011, 07:43 PM
I like your new workout! Looks like something I would do! lol Sorry to hear about you being sick, I can sympathize I just came off antibiotics myself. Allergies are hell too this time of year!

Rick Prince
03-31-2011, 08:07 PM
Good to see you are beginning to feel somewhat better!

axioma
03-31-2011, 09:54 PM
Already seeing thickness in pecs. We will see how overall growth is supported. Ate at taco bell tonight, 6 hard tacos, 3 softs...wife and I are sleeping in separate beds, lol!

axioma
04-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Something has to give...
Massage therapy clients today
stock vending machines
ultrafit360 meeting with manufacturers, RX....
taxes
misc. phone calls from reps...whatever...
I really wish sometimes that I was the type that had a 9-5 with benefits...everything I am doing with the exception of Massage is in the building/development stages...MEANING is doesn't make $$$$...

1. Takes a lot to be an entrenprenuer...yes, and Uncle Sam doesn't like them...hates them...wants everyone to punch a clock and have taxes deducted every paycheck.

2. You have freedom...no I don't. I am so envious of guys who get "vacation" time every year for 2-4 weeks or more. I LOSE money when I take off.

3. Something has to give...it is me. Not competing this year...Mac was right, at 207 I still wouldn't be big enough to contend for the win...so why go? For the experience? I just can't afford the luxury of competing for the "fun" of it. I need to take the time and revamp the store and look at some alternative marketing strategies for healthy chocolate.

Mac
04-01-2011, 05:04 PM
I face many of the same issues, except I only have one business to contend with and wish it was just 9-5 at times.

Wasn't it you who went on vacation to your wife's home country not too long ago?

You had to say TAXES , didn't you ? arggggggggghhhhhhhhhh

Hammerfit
04-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Something has to give...
stock vending machines
taxes
I really wish sometimes that I was the type that had a 9-5 with benefits...everything I am doing with the exception of Massage is in the building/development stages...MEANING is doesn't make $$$$...

1. Takes a lot to be an entrenprenuer...yes, and Uncle Sam doesn't like them...hates them...wants everyone to punch a clock and have taxes deducted every paycheck.

2. You have freedom...no I don't. I am so envious of guys who get "vacation" time every year for 2-4 weeks or more. I LOSE money when I take off.

3. Something has to give...it is me. Not competing this year...Mac was right, at 207 I still wouldn't be big enough to contend for the win...so why go? For the experience? I just can't afford the luxury of competing for the "fun" of it. I need to take the time and revamp the store and look at some alternative marketing strategies for healthy chocolate.

Not competing this year. Mat, I truly believe if you compete it is first and foremost something you have a passion for doing. It has gotten to the point now days everything is against bodybuilders competing for the "love of the sport" anymore. Everybody keeps putting their hand out wanting more and more money. NPC cards are now $100! For what? The guy that does my tan now has gone up to $ 100. Order a custom pair of trunks, ha whatever. It just goes on and on. And now they have this men's board short class. I just heard on Dave's Radio show a NPC show that was held last week in Calf. had more in that class than they did in BB! Being a Grand Master competitor I always get the pleasure of going out last. Now that they have yet another class it will be 3 hrs waiting instead of 2! More money for NPC! I have nothing against NPC or anyone making money I just think we have come to a point that with the economy, the "more is better" mentality of gear required to be able to be competitive, this whole thing has gotten out of hand. And............I just heard this.....ANY win in the "board shorts" class automatically gets a pro card! Sorry I ranted on your thread but it just crossed my mind when I read your post about not competing.

joedemarco
04-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Something has to give...
stock vending machines
taxes

As a guy who has been in business for himself for over 20 years, I totally hear what you are saying.

I can also tell you this. My business has always suffered during the times that I have competed. No matter how hard I try to avoid it, business still suffers. How could it not? You can't put 100% into your business when you are tired, hungry, fatigued, etc.

Therefore, if growing your business this year is your main focus, then not competing is a very good decision.

Mac
04-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Therefore, if growing your business this year is your main focus, then not competing is a very good decision.

Trying to stay in business has been very difficult. Starting a new business is for miracle workers.

Last time I really put an effort into getting ready to compete, I didn't have to work much for $$$, it was just there. Not so these days.

mrky03
04-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Not competing this year. Mat, I truly believe if you compete it is first and foremost something you have a passion for doing. It has gotten to the point now days everything is against bodybuilders competing for the "love of the sport" anymore. Everybody keeps putting their hand out wanting more and more money. NPC cards are now $100! For what? The guy that does my tan now has gone up to $ 100. Order a custom pair of trunks, ha whatever. It just goes on and on. And now they have this men's board short class. I just heard on Dave's Radio show a NPC show that was held last week in Calf. had more in that class than they did in BB! Being a Grand Master competitor I always get the pleasure of going out last. Now that they have yet another class it will be 3 hrs waiting instead of 2! More money for NPC! I have nothing against NPC or anyone making money I just think we have come to a point that with the economy, the "more is better" mentality of gear required to be able to be competitive, this whole thing has gotten out of hand. And............I just heard this.....ANY win in the "board shorts" class automatically gets a pro card! Sorry I ranted on your thread but it just crossed my mind when I read your post about not competing.

This is one of the reason's I opted not to compete in a local NPC show myself. Cost so much to enter and compete and for what? Already been there and done that. I'm entering this Nattie Pro show as an alternative and the possibility of actually winning some money for a change!

Sorry Matt for ranting on you're thread also! I fully understand your delima though, don't blame you a bit for concentrating on increasing your business.

axioma
04-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the rants and the understanding. Yes Mac, that vacation was wonderful and, like I said, not only the expense of going, but the loss of income. Z also has a huge family that needs lots of things that we provide when there. Joe is right, it's about focus. The look of relief on Z's face told me everything. She didn't even know she did it...
I spent many years single, living for the day. I met Z and hi then I had a family and the responsibilities that most people have planned for and dealt with by 40...
I am killing it, trying to do in ten years what most people do in 25. I'm not complaining here, as I am talking to peers, so you all can relate in some way. It was one of those days when the pie was sliced super thin and still weren't enough pieces.
Best part of the day? Heather loves Despicable Me. She didn't know we watched it last weekend, x2! She tells me someone drops out of a study group, I text her,"I suppose the plan will work with just two..." She comes back with,"it's sooo FLUFFY!" Made my day...gnite

bryantone
04-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Matt. you and Keven both have made the right decision for each of your situations. I love motorcyle riding...long trips cost money. With my younger son in college there are extra exspenses this year. My oldest son just got out of truck driving school which I helped pay for. I am going to skip my 2200 mile ride to Montana/Idaho (unless you want to donate to the Dave's MC ride fund) this year because it would be irresponsible to spend that money and leave my finances thin. Sometimes a person just has to Man Up ....as you did. The good thing about body building is that you do not have to compete to be one. The whole world is your stage. People see us in public a hell of alot more than watching shows. Right now I am cutting/keto for what? ME. I dont need no stinken stage when I got walmart!

mrky03
04-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Nothing wrong with competing obviously, I do it regularly. It is expensive though and other than self gratification you don't get much in return! Point is when the day comes I decide not to compete anymore it won't matter. I will train and eat the same as I do now because thats just what I do!

I don't blame you a bit Matt, you are doing the right thing. Enjoy your family and expand your business. You can win the Nationals next year!

bryantone
04-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Nothing wrong with competing obviously, I do it regularly. It is expensive though and other than self gratification you don't get much in return! Point is when the day comes I decide not to compete anymore it won't matter. I will train and eat the same as I do now because thats just what I do!

I don't blame you a bit Matt, you are doing the right thing. Enjoy your family and expand your business. You can win the Nationals next year!
MRKY, Exactly.. If it doesnt affect your family in a negative manner, and you can Afford it, then you should do it if that is what you like to do. Everyone needs some recreation after hitting the grindstone 40+ hours a week year after year. If my thing was competing, I would save up for a show and do it guilt free as I would make sure my bills and obligations are met first, just as others like yourself have done. This time off will also give Matt time to stay lean and add muscle for some very tough competition. He is very close, and knows what he has to weigh and look like @ 5'9".

KevinCouch
04-02-2011, 11:52 AM
He is very close, and knows what he has to weigh and look like @ 5'9".

BB is the ONLY sport that being short is an advantage. At Matt's height he would be considered short in any other sport and in competitive BB he's tall. In high school I played football as a running back and was very fast and powerful but way too small to be a college running back. That's how I got into BB in the first place from lifting all the time for football. Knowing it's something I had the potential to excel in at my size.

Mac
04-02-2011, 12:07 PM
BB is the ONLY sport that being short is an advantage. At Matt's height he would be considered short in any other sport and in competitive BB he's tall. In high school I played football as a running back and was very fast and powerful but way too small to be a college running back. That's how I got into BB in the first place from lifting all the time for football. Knowing it's something I had the potential to excel in at my size.

I was too short for basketball, too small for football, but just right for lifting weights. Didn't care too much for wrestling, event though I spent 3 years doing and made it to Districts, but that was all.

There were things I did well at, and no one else came close. I set school records for chinups, pushups, standing broad jump, peg board, rope climb, the only one to do an iron cross. I would have gave it all up to be 6, 220lbs.

bryantone
04-02-2011, 12:09 PM
This is the reason why I dont compete. I am also 5'9"(+0r-1") and I like to weigh around 195-200 lbs. This is where I feel healthy and it works with my other hobbies and interests too. I would have to weigh 225 to 230 LEAN to compete. I dont want to do it and my genetics dont want to either. Matt has the genetics and the desire. He just needs a little more time and right situation. He is 100 feet from the summit.

Baldiewonkanobi
04-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Matt you must follow your survival instinct in this matter, sadly not your heart. Although the latter has the more romantic and chivalry tone. So be it. 2012 will be here in no time. 16 months to grow. Yipes....better geter on.

After 2012 Bodybuilding could be no more than a NPC novelty event. It has morphed itself IMO right into the trash heap of history.

Baldie

axioma
04-02-2011, 05:04 PM
I enjoyed reading this...I get to know you guys better.

Baldie, if by survival instinct you mean planning for the future, then you are right. We could NEVER afford to grow old in America. Honduras is where we will retire, so we want to have the house built and paid for before we move there.

What is funny, is my heart says the same thing. Rational thinking and emotional reaction coincide here...keep pushing the revenue streams. It will take me three or four revenue streams to equal what my corporate counterpart is making at one salaried position...not CEO, lol!

I had been involved in Heather's life for several years as a teacher before I met her mom. When we became a "family" I wanted to be available for every meeting, every soccer game, every tennis match...that was more important than money to establish the bond with Heather. It is paying dividends and then some. Now it is time to generate cash flow!

With the weight of competing lifted (nice pun) I am really MORE focused in the workout and feel more joyous about it...about continuing to grow instead of stalling it with precontest demands.

axioma
04-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Today: Legs, Back, biceps

Hack Squats: 3 x 8
Leg Press: 3 x 8
Stiff Leg deads: 3 x 8
Close grip pulldowns: 3 x 8
One arm dumbbell rows: (free standing, hand on knee) 3 x 8
seated dumbbell curls: (high seat to low angle) 4 x 10

Still weighing 229 in a.m.

axioma
04-02-2011, 05:13 PM
My goal is to get my bench up to 400 in six to eight weeks. Never been close to that...matter of the shoulder holding together.

After that, back thickness focus for 6-8 weeks. Then legs for the same.

My goal is to keep current level of bf%, and grow to 235-240 over the next year. I seem to have solidified 225.

mrky03
04-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Admirable goal, you will be a beast! Not that you aren't already! I always wanted to bench press 400 myself, either had a diet that stalled strength gains or injury!

HeavyDutyGuy
04-03-2011, 01:35 PM
How are the businesses going right now? whats your projected growth (business not muscles lol) rate? After the year we just went through, I would definateley put survival and economic security first. Even if you are personal training, being a top amateur masters bodybuilder is only of minimal boost. Compete again when you really WANT to, ya know?

axioma
04-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Can't really project growth. Got a problem with partners in one business...they have got their fingers in too many other ventures...

My real growth potential is a. downsize and economize and b. vending.
a. I am looking to close my massage office and work out of my home. I am happy with the number of sessions I am doing and my clients would love to come to my home. Savings: $2k a month.
b. vending: for the time and money invested, this is the best return. I hope to add 3 more sites.
c. ultrafit360.com this is long term investment. It takes time to grow a store, especially if you are not trying to be a deep discounter, but offer quality products for a good price and SUPPORT. This is the thing that will take time...I am pretty experienced with this stuff, so to have access to my knowledge on how and what to use is something most e-stores don't offer.
d. investments in Honduras: I don't even consider these as all the revenue is rolled back into the investments.

axioma
04-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Realized today that a 400lbs flat bench might not be meant for me. Something about the angle..really feel pain starting in that left shoulder on the negative portion and it increases until the whole tricep and biceps tendons at the elbow become painful. No problem on the launch...just lowering it.
Incline, on the other hand, doesn't affect me like that. In fact, my incline is only 25lbs. less than flat. So, maybe get a 400lbs incline?????

axioma
04-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Today: Chest, shoulders, tris, abs
Flat bench: 5 x 5
Incline dumbbell fly: 3 x 8
Dumbbell shoulder press: 3 x 15 (deviated from plan as the elbow was really hurting)
Triceps pushdowns: 3 x 12
Leg raises: 3 x 20

KevinCouch
04-04-2011, 12:06 PM
the angle..really feel pain starting in that left shoulder on the negative portion and it increases until the whole tricep and biceps tendons at the elbow become painful. No problem on the launch...just lowering it.
Incline, on the other hand, doesn't affect me like that. In fact, my incline is only 25lbs. less than flat. So, maybe get a 400lbs incline?????

That's me too incline strength isn't far off at all from my flat. Lately I've only been doing machine flats and it doesn't seem to bother left shoulder and left elbow as much as barbell and I'm doing them last for chest work. Still doing incline BB and DB after shoulder is thouroughly warmed up with a flye movement first.

axioma
04-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Kev, with the way you look all the time, you should do a Iron Asylum video.

axioma
04-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Today: Legs, back, bi's calves

Squats: bench squats: 3 x 10 (really feel the shoulder and elbow on the squats, terrible tendonitis flair up)No belt, no wraps, 455lbs. touched bench right at parallel.
One leg presses: 3 x 8
Standing one leg curls w/glass two leg curls: 3 x 10 ea.
Seated cable rows: 3 x 8
Barbell rows: 3 x 8
giant set of pull downs with super wide bar: behind, front, underhand x 10ea.
concentration curls: 3 x 8
bar curls (twinge on the first rep): 3 x 8
one leg calf presses 3 x 10
standing one leg calf raises w/25lbs: 3 x 12-10

Made rookie mistake, was really hungry this a.m. and ate too much...had zero energy for workout...took forever!

Hammerfit
04-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Today: Legs, back, bi's calves

Squats: bench squats: 3 x 10 (really feel the shoulder and elbow on the squats, terrible tendonitis flair up)No belt, no wraps, 455lbs. touched bench right at parallel.
One leg presses: 3 x 8
Standing one leg curls w/glass two leg curls: 3 x 10 ea.
Seated cable rows: 3 x 8
Barbell rows: 3 x 8
giant set of pull downs with super wide bar: behind, front, underhand x 10ea.
concentration curls: 3 x 8
bar curls (twinge on the first rep): 3 x 8
one leg calf presses 3 x 10
standing one leg calf raises w/25lbs: 3 x 12-10

Made rookie mistake, was really hungry this a.m. and ate too much...had zero energy for workout...took forever!

Box squat 455 w no belt? Uhh have you lost your mind?
You are a freakin brute!

axioma
04-06-2011, 10:26 AM
It felt good. want to build that strength base. see, I really LIKE to lift heavy..I am just not that strong and physiologically I have mechanical disadvantages...lol, the biggest disadvantage is age and tendon wear and tear. I really like the feeling of something sooo heavy on me that it will crush me and I don't surrender. I also like(d) the feeling of averaging 21 mph on a 50 mile ride (hills, wind) and having that gorilla jump on my back and start beating me in the back of the head...I want to do it all!

I spent several hours last night fine tuning my new workout, mapping it out meticulously...pulled in anthony clark...shawn phillips...dante (there brah, I mentioned it)...nothing pasted, just stuff I have been aware of for many years and I mesh it for my needs. You know...I was just thinking....really wrong of Jesus to not mention Buddha every sermon?

Hammerfit
04-06-2011, 10:39 AM
It felt good. want to build that strength base. see, I really LIKE to lift heavy..I am just not that strong and physiologically I have mechanical disadvantages...lol, the biggest disadvantage is age and tendon wear and tear. I really like the feeling of something sooo heavy on me that it will crush me and I don't surrender. I also like(d) the feeling of averaging 21 mph on a 50 mile ride (hills, wind) and having that gorilla jump on my back and start beating me in the back of the head...I want to do it all!

I spent several hours last night fine tuning my new workout, mapping it out meticulously...pulled in anthony clark...shawn phillips...dante (there brah, I mentioned it)...nothing pasted, just stuff I have been aware of for many years and I mesh it for my needs. You know...I was just thinking....really wrong of Jesus to not mention Buddha every sermon?

We need to meet up in Blue Ridge one day and do 3 Gap just to say we still can! There's nothing more exciting than coming down a mountain at 55 mph or there's nothing more taxing than climbing up said mountain! I miss those days. That's were I got my nickname from.

axioma
04-07-2011, 09:22 AM
I graduated from North Georgia in Dahlonega...some of the best riding anywhere! Wolfpen Gap, Unicoi...Brasstown Bald...AND I weighed 178 doing it! Not tiny by any means for a cyclist, however the idea of my 230lb big ass barrelling down switchbacks at 50+mph...Crash carts...local evacuations...not pretty, lol. But, you know....I'm smiling...you got my attention.

freebirdmac
04-07-2011, 09:28 AM
You'll like this!

http://www.gadling.com/2011/03/03/downhill-bike-race-in-chile-is-insanity-at-its-finest/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl11%7Csec3_lnk1%7C204875

axioma
04-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Today: Chest, tris, abs
This was my low volume day.

Rotator warm-ups 3 x 20 various movements
Incline bench: warmups x 3, 1 x 8, 1 x 5, 2 x 3, 1 x 8 (with the 5 rep weight)
Weighted dips: 3 x 8
X-overs: 5 x 10
abcore machine: 20 reps each position x 3 sets

axioma
04-07-2011, 12:45 PM
You'll like this!

http://www.gadling.com/2011/03/03/downhill-bike-race-in-chile-is-insanity-at-its-finest/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl11%7Csec3_lnk1%7C204875

:yep: I like! I think the dog lost a tail, hehehe.

axioma
04-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Guys, I think I will post some pics in the next week...show Baldie I have taken his advice and what the chest specific program is doing.

D_T
04-07-2011, 08:48 PM
I'm hoping to get my big ass down < 220 lbs so I can give six gap a shot; no way I could do it at 255.

axioma
04-08-2011, 12:27 PM
hahaha, but it would by youtube quality, no? BTW, you are really shaping up..the back is super wide and thick.

axioma
04-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Off day today. With this particular routine, it doesn't seem to hurt to have the extra rest day in, especially since I am working on holding size and lifting heavy. In fact, I really need the off day between chest and back/leg day to rest the shoulders.

Hammerfit
04-08-2011, 01:26 PM
I graduated from North Georgia in Dahlonega...some of the best riding anywhere! Wolfpen Gap, Unicoi...Brasstown Bald...AND I weighed 178 doing it! Not tiny by any means for a cyclist, however the idea of my 230lb big ass barrelling down switchbacks at 50+mph...Crash carts...local evacuations...not pretty, lol. But, you know....I'm smiling...you got my attention.

Bro I was 198 climbing brasstown bald.....right before Lance came up and declared that to be the hardest climb in the world, the little winnies would always out climb me but I would come by them like a rocket going downhill!
I got a pic of me climbing in Jasper w ice on my back, I'll post it up soon. I had to have a custom titanium frame built by Seven. I cracked a carbon Trek. Several concussions and 3 dislocated shoulders in crashes. One time I was alone and crashed and just knew I had bought it. Bounced my head 3 times on the road, cracked a carbon helmet from side to side. Rode 30 miles with a dis located shoulder back to the car.

Let's put that on our bucket list, do 3 gap, besides the Gulf of Mexico, my favorite place in the world. Did 10k miles up there one year.

Hammerfit
04-08-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm hoping to get my big ass down < 220 lbs so I can give six gap a shot; no way I could do it at 255.

OMG I only did 6 gap once, it was the annual race they have there. I was way over 5 hours! I thought I was going to die. 6 climbs over 100 miles.

axioma
04-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Bro I was 198 climbing brasstown bald.....right before Lance came up and declared that to be the hardest climb in the world, the little winnies would always out climb me but I would come by them like a rocket going downhill!
I got a pic of me climbing in Jasper w ice on my back, I'll post it up soon. I had to have a custom titanium frame built by Seven. I cracked a carbon Trek. Several concussions and 3 dislocated shoulders in crashes. One time I was alone and crashed and just knew I had bought it. Bounced my head 3 times on the road, cracked a carbon helmet from side to side. Rode 30 miles with a dis located shoulder back to the car.

Let's put that on our bucket list, do 3 gap, besides the Gulf of Mexico, my favorite place in the world. Did 10k miles up there one year.

OK, two holy craps!
1. 198??? I did 40 miles of ride the week AFTER Lance did it! My old tri buddy and I were all freakin LANCE fanatics and had to ride in the tracks of the Sheriff! Same thing...I did not have the gearing for that kind of climbing..riding an aluminum Specialized...all I had was the stock 105 components. You could have walked faster than I was going at the summit...but I would not stop that StairMaster grind. If you had taken my head off with a 50cal. my legs would have kept pumping...

I crested, was gulping, belching, gasping...when it hit me...I GOT FUCKING MILES OF DOWNHILL SWITCHBACKS ON SUPER SMOOTH ASPHALT...OMG, OMG, OMG!

I passed cars like they were standing still...glancing in the windows...I can just imagine what I looked like with this crazy freakin grin, eyes bugged out, screaming like a little girl..."WEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

When I finally stopped I smelled the rubber...my brakes were gone!

Ahhh, life is for the living...:yep:

Hammerfit
04-11-2011, 01:54 PM
OK, two holy craps!
1. 198??? I did 40 miles of ride the week AFTER Lance did it! My old tri buddy and I were all freakin LANCE fanatics and had to ride in the tracks of the Sheriff! Same thing...I did not have the gearing for that kind of climbing..riding an aluminum Specialized...all I had was the stock 105 components. You could have walked faster than I was going at the summit...but I would not stop that StairMaster grind. If you had taken my head off with a 50cal. my legs would have kept pumping...

I crested, was gulping, belching, gasping...when it hit me...I GOT FUCKING MILES OF DOWNHILL SWITCHBACKS ON SUPER SMOOTH ASPHALT...OMG, OMG, OMG!

I passed cars like they were standing still...glancing in the windows...I can just imagine what I looked like with this crazy freakin grin, eyes bugged out, screaming like a little girl..."WEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

When I finally stopped I smelled the rubber...my brakes were gone!

Ahhh, life is for the living...:yep:

Reminds me of the decent down BrassTown......smelled the brakes burning and my more seasoned partner said, "let go of the brakes, you're gonna melt them and they will catch on fire" and few moments later we came up on one the worse events I've ever seen. A girl who was descending down in front of us made that mistake, punctured and hit a delivery truck head on. It was always "touch and go" from then on for me.

Oh and on the climb, I bet you were going faster than me! I had a 28 rear cog w Campy Record gear. I actually was freezing when I made the summit. A doc later told me that was a sign that my body was shutting down from trama! One of 2 two hardest things I have ever done and proud to say I did it. Not many people can say that!

Hammerfit
04-11-2011, 02:03 PM
You'll like this!

That is insane! Great video!

axioma
04-11-2011, 02:13 PM
BTW, great avi. You got that nice Columbu ridge mid-pec...when was it taken? You look very close.

Hammerfit
04-11-2011, 02:40 PM
BTW, great avi. You got that nice Columbu ridge mid-pec...when was it taken? You look very close.

Saturday...still need more thickness on hams, tighten up lower back and get about 10 lbs leaner..hit scales at 209.4 Going to lift heavy as possible for the next few weeks see if I can add some more thickness

Amazon Doll
04-11-2011, 02:43 PM
I graduated from North Georgia in Dahlonega...some of the best riding anywhere! Wolfpen Gap, Unicoi...Brasstown Bald...AND I weighed 178 doing it! Not tiny by any means for a cyclist, however the idea of my 230lb big ass barrelling down switchbacks at 50+mph...Crash carts...local evacuations...not pretty, lol. But, you know....I'm smiling...you got my attention.I rode my bicycle through that area. I remember ctying at a place called Blood Mtn. But that was while touring. I would love to ride my road bike around there!

D_T
04-11-2011, 03:18 PM
My bike is ready for the gaps, but my body isn't. Compact crankset with powermeter. Not sure I'd ride my carbon rims in the mountains; brakes might get too hot and blow a tire.

I don't think I've ridden outside this calendar year; all my time in the gym. We might have to all get together one weekend, workout and ride.

axioma
04-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Walaysi Outdoor Center at Neels Gap is great. Rode that area on both "road" bikes, the kind you peddle and the kind you twist for power! Last bike was an Aprilia Tuono, lots of fun.

Here's what you do at Blood Mountain. You get there early, hike the mountain with a couple of beers and brownie...takes a few hours. Sit at the old YCC cabin at the top and enjoy 360 views. Then you RUN down...Haaaa, insane. Remember the looks I got going by on a bike? Well, imagine seeing this same grinning maniac running down a mountain full speed at you and you realize your entire family is in dire jeopardy because he is an AIRBORNE JUGGERNAUT!

That is a really cool area, great times.

axioma
04-11-2011, 03:24 PM
My bike is ready for the gaps, but my body isn't. Compact crankset with powermeter. Not sure I'd ride my carbon rims in the mountains; brakes might get too hot and blow a tire.

I don't think I've ridden outside this calendar year; all my time in the gym. We might have to all get together one weekend, workout and ride.

SSSAAAAAWWWWEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTT! Dude, we would look absolutely, freakin sick...you gotta look like a BEAST riding that thing..

axioma
04-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Today: Chest, tri, abs
Incline bench: 5 x 5 pyramid, drop 225 x 14
15 degree dumbbell bench: 3 x 7-8
30 degree fly: 3 x 8
overhead tri ext's: 3 x 10
close grip overhead press (palms facing): 5 x 10 ea. arm
Swiss ball stuff for abs

axioma
04-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Today: Legs, Back, Biceps, calves

full body warmup for 10-15 minutes.
Squats: 5 x 15 (superwide, plie' stance)
Deadlifts: 3 x 10
Walking lunges w/dumbbells: 4 x 10
Underhand grip Hammer lo row: 3 x 10
Staggered grip pullups on top beam of crossover: 4 x 10
straight arm pulldowns: 3 x 10
Seated alternate dumbbell curls: 3 x 10
Standing calf raise superset w/lying leg curls: 3 x 10

Hammerfit
04-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Today: Legs, Back, Biceps, calves

full body warmup for 10-15 minutes.
Squats: 5 x 15 (superwide, plie' stance)
Deadlifts: 3 x 10
Walking lunges w/dumbbells: 4 x 10
Underhand grip Hammer lo row: 3 x 10
Staggered grip pullups on top beam of crossover: 4 x 10
straight arm pulldowns: 3 x 10
Seated alternate dumbbell curls: 3 x 10
Standing calf raise superset w/lying leg curls: 3 x 10

Good Stuff!:yep:

axioma
04-14-2011, 08:43 PM
OFF DAY. Heather presented her research at Honors Day...talk about a proud Daddy! I'm biased, but she really did the best job of articulating the research, talking not only to her professors and peers, but to those of us who had no idea what time of protease inhibitor she was talking about. Get this: she was studying the possible anti-cancer, anti-estrogen properties of a particular type of orchid! She also nabbed a very coveted research position at MUSC this summer. Another good reason not to compete this summer, got to pay for her room and board! It was a great day for the Helton clan.

axioma
04-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Today: Chest, shoulders, tri, abs
(in regards to chest development of the 70's, my protocol has really brought my chest up)
Bench: closer grip, powerlift style to take pressure off of shoulders: 4 x 8 (wasn't planning to go over 290 and did 3 sets there, but said wtf and went up to 315 to see where I am...got 8 reps easy. Also, I have no partner, no spotter, so what I get is what it is).
Incline fly: 4 x 8 w/70's
Standing military presses: not a good movement for me, the left shoulder felt completely unstable. 3 x 10 w/185
bench rear delt flys: 3 x 8
triceps pushdowns: V bar, heavy: 3 x 10
neutral grip machine overhead presses: 3 x 10
close grip pushups: 7 x 10
v-ups: 3 x 20

Hammerfit
04-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Today: Chest, shoulders, tri, abs
(in regards to chest development of the 70's, my protocol has really brought my chest up)
Bench: closer grip, powerlift style to take pressure off of shoulders: 4 x 8 (wasn't planning to go over 290 and did 3 sets there, but said wtf and went up to 315 to see where I am...got 8 reps easy. Also, I have no partner, no spotter, so what I get is what it is).
Incline fly: 4 x 8 w/70's
Standing military presses: not a good movement for me, the left shoulder felt completely unstable. 3 x 10 w/185
bench rear delt flys: 3 x 8
triceps pushdowns: V bar, heavy: 3 x 10
neutral grip machine overhead presses: 3 x 10
close grip pushups: 7 x 10
v-ups: 3 x 20

Very Strong Bro.....Even if I could, I wouldnt attempt that lift without a spotter. Keep it going!

mkris7
04-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Nice numbers! Hey I am happy for u and your family. Education is so important today. Best wishes to your daughter and tell her to keep up the great work!

BTW what are powerlifter close grips...Got a bum shoulder so anything that takes pressure off it would help.

Thanks again and keep up the great work!

axioma
04-15-2011, 01:44 PM
I would address that to Joe, as he is the powerlifter. However, a typical bodybuilding bench is elbows flared out more, mid-chest touch and hands wider than shoulders.

To me, a powerlifting bench is: hands a little closer in, barely outside shoulder, lower the bar lower on chest and keep the elbows close to body so that the mash into the lats. The bar travels in an arc instead of up/down.

The hand placement and elbows in are the keys. Flat bench is rough on the shoulders...period, and powerlifters are born, not made. I was going to concede the flat bench and just do inclines, however I really like the pump I get from flat. So I needed to find a way to keep it in the mix. Hope I didn't muddy the waters too much.

axioma
04-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Saturday: Legs, back, bis and calves

Squats: (I felt that I needed to really get the form down again, second nature. I decided to put 225 on and just squat. I also have a tendency to have my HR go through the roof right after my first couple of working sets and then it is a matter of getting it manageable for the rest of the workout. After 5 sets of 10, I started to superset squats with the rest of my exercises).

Reverse grip pulldowns superset w/squats: 3 x 10
Reverse grip smith rows w/squats: 3 x 10
Straight arm pulldowns w/squats: 3 x 8
concentration curls w/squats: 3 x 10
Leg curls w/squats: 3 x 10

Seated leg curls: 3 x 20

The legs got exhausted, but the squats got easier and my breathing normalized after about 7-8 sets.

axioma
04-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Today: Chest, shoulders, tris, abs
(left shoulder clicking and feeling unstable. Decided to keep weight at about 85% of max for reps today)
Incline bench: 3 x 10
Slight incline fly: 3 x 8
Dips: 5 x 10
Laterals: 3 x 10 superset w/one arm lying dumbbell extensions: 3 x 10
Rope crunches: 3 x 20
X overs: 7 x 10

axioma
04-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Had a major sinus attack Monday, downhill from there. Feels like the flu. Went this a.m. and just did a full body to break a sweat. Really feel like crap, only sleeping an hour at a time, then up. Hope it will break soon.

Bright side: resting the shoulder, clicking less. Seemed like the rest and increased "comfort food" filled me out, weighing 233 a.m. Arms are ridiculous, hard to bend so full, 19 3/4 cold now!

Mac
04-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Bright side: resting the shoulder, clicking less. Seemed like the rest and increased "comfort food" filled me out, weighing 233 a.m. Arms are ridiculous, hard to bend so full, 19 3/4 cold now!

What causes this clicking? I have the same issue in my left shoulder.

Hope you break that bug soon!

Too bad about the small arms. :hypno:

axioma
04-21-2011, 09:47 AM
torn labrum, can't afford repair. thanks.

Down4whatever
04-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Had a major sinus attack Monday, downhill from there. Feels like the flu. Went this a.m. and just did a full body to break a sweat. Really feel like crap, only sleeping an hour at a time, then up. Hope it will break soon.

Sucks to be sick man; get better soon!

Remind me not to pose for a pic standing anywhere near you with those cannons :eek:

axioma
04-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Ha! You know, I don't think they look that big! I think most of the size is triceps, because my bi's are not impressive at all, nothing crazy.

KevinCouch
04-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Hope you start feeling better soon Matt. I know I've been dealing with a stomach virus and finally now over it. You gotta post a pic of your arm when it's hit 20. That's a huge accomplishment.

freebirdmac
04-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Feel better soon! I'm fighting some crud too. Sure beats injuries tho :p

axioma
04-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Sitting in doc office now. Not getting better despite lots of rest, three days off and gallons of water. Got to get this taken care of.

freebirdmac
04-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Hope the doc fixes you up. I slugged my stuff off ok on my own. I swear I am so fed up with injuries and illness. It's got me pissed off at the moment.

Baldiewonkanobi
04-25-2011, 11:25 PM
I get a freakin sinus infection every year. They are the chits. For some reason they plague Bodybuilders. :dunno:

Feel better soon. Double up on the healthy choc. I melt one every morning in my coffee. :drool:mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :drool:

Baldie

KevinCouch
04-28-2011, 05:54 PM
You feeling better Matt? Haven't heard from u in a few days.

axioma
04-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Still sick, 40mg prednisone per day. Trying to rest, eat, about it. I live in pollen hell.

Baldiewonkanobi
04-29-2011, 11:36 PM
I never had a pollen allergy until I moved to Arizona. Desert trees are scarce in the wild but planted by the millions in and around Phoenix. They are now bright yellow with pollen and the air glistens gold with the chit.

I feel your pain...drip drip, gag gag, cough cough, sniff sniff.

Baldie

Baldiewonkanobi
04-29-2011, 11:40 PM
Here are pics....Palo Verde trees in bloom in and around Phoenix. Everything is pfucking yellow....

I feel your pollen pain.

Baldie

HeavyDutyGuy
04-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Try Omaha, My wife grew up here and she still spent 2 weeks going throgh 3 boxes of kleenex!

axioma
04-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Baldie, Z says you look awesome! She said send her a photo of monica.

Mac
05-16-2011, 07:20 AM
What's up Matt, are you OK?

axioma
05-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Still alive,lol. This was some pretty serious chit. Didn't workout since last posted workout until Monday. I am doing the my 14 Day CKD&W, paying more attention to the cardio than the work loads at this point.

I lost 12lbs., down to 222. Main issue is getting the stamina/lungs back.

Been doing alot of work on site and blog: www.ultrafit360blog.com (http://www.ultrafit360blog.com) Hammer and Baldie have been kind enough to send me some posts. My plan is to have a video corresponding to all my workout programs..lots of work. I appreciate you checking in on me, Mac. Nice to know that out of site, doesn't mean forgotten.

Mac
05-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Glad to know you're still kicking. I figured something was going on and it wasn't pirate hijackers on the high-seas.

JoeB8962
05-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Glad you back at it Ax!

Baldiewonkanobi
05-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Matt...love the updated UltraFit site. I'm a visual guy so the vids really caught my eye. Well done. Glad you you have recovered from the creeping crud.

Baldie

axioma
05-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Still here, still kicking. Feeling much better, doing full body circuits to keep the rust off. We went to support a couple who competed this weekend in the Palmetto Cup in SC. I did their diet and workouts, wasn't able to supervise their workouts, which is what the really needed.
This was their FIRST show, I italicized that for a reason...Brit placed 5th is a very good Figure line-up. She has lost over 50lbs., so the metabolism is just getting used to all of this, however she will be in the hunt should she choose to do it again.
Josh entered novice...supposed to be the first time you compete, right? Well, out of 12 competitors he looked to be about 8th or 9th...not bad, he knows he needs to build some wheels. However the top three didn't look like this was their first rodeo...very seasoned looking. Oh, well.
Hey, they went through this as a couple and were laughing and loving it.

ayezer
05-31-2011, 08:06 PM
good pic of rear lat and good training like to hear the heavy training.

Hammerfit
06-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Still here, still kicking. Feeling much better, doing full body circuits to keep the rust off. We went to support a couple who competed this weekend in the Palmetto Cup in SC. I did their diet and workouts, wasn't able to supervise their workouts, which is what the really needed.
This was their FIRST show, I italicized that for a reason...Brit placed 5th is a very good Figure line-up. She has lost over 50lbs., so the metabolism is just getting used to all of this, however she will be in the hunt should she choose to do it again.
Josh entered novice...supposed to be the first time you compete, right? Well, out of 12 competitors he looked to be about 8th or 9th...not bad, he knows he needs to build some wheels. However the top three didn't look like this was their first rodeo...very seasoned looking. Oh, well.
Hey, they went through this as a couple and were laughing and loving it.

Very cool helping others, especially a couple getting started. It's so much easier if you can get your spouse to join you, looks like mine is headed towards PL! (She doesnt want to diet) Hope you 2 are doing well! Website looks great.

axioma
06-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Starting on a back specific program I designed. 6 weeks, then I will switch to a traditional precontest superset routine. I want to see what I can get back in 12 weeks.
Programs posted on blog.

freebirdmac
06-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Did you get my email?

nwtrnr1
06-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Excellent blog, I will definitely be reading it often, thanks for posting such great info.

HeavyDutyGuy
06-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Glad you are back in the saddle, was wondering what happened to you.

axioma
06-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Did you get my email?

Yes ma'am! It will probably take a couple of days to post. I would file 5 entries in the dropbox and my guy would post ALL of them in ONE day:dunno: So I told him to spread them out...Thank you very much, learning more and more about the ramifications of allergies. They can really derail training.

axioma
06-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Excellent blog, I will definitely be reading it often, thanks for posting such great info.
Thank you and email me: [email protected] if you want to see something specific.

axioma
06-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Glad you are back in the saddle, was wondering what happened to you.
After getting so freakin sick, it was really hard to decide HOW to get back...soooo, while I thought about it, I got a bartenders' book and learned mixology. After weeks of screaming orgasms, buttery nipples and the like...I bottomed out...and ran out of Grand Marnier!