PDA

View Full Version : Axioma's Journal and Journey to Masters Nationals 2011

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

freebirdmac
06-08-2011, 08:30 AM
Yes ma'am! It will probably take a couple of days to post. I would file 5 entries in the dropbox and my guy would post ALL of them in ONE day:dunno: So I told him to spread them out...Thank you very much, learning more and more about the ramifications of allergies. They can really derail training.

I need the link. Can't seem to find the blogs.

axioma
06-08-2011, 09:15 AM
http://ultrafit360blog.com/

this should do it!

Hammerfit
06-08-2011, 09:26 AM
http://ultrafit360blog.com/

this should do it!

Blog page looking good bro!

axioma
06-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks, working on the admin stuff since I have been on hiatus. Now I have to start shooting some vids.

Marijan Lipsinic
06-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Hope you are doing well my brother!

axioma
07-25-2011, 01:39 PM
I know it has been a LONG time. I won't try to catch everyone up in one sitting however the MRI on left shoulder reveals:
Torn labrum
Torn biceps tendon
Torn subscap major
Torn biceps sheath
Vary from minor to major...surgery is a must.
Most of you know the recup time for this type of surgery...the worst things:
I will pay out of pocket, don't have health coverage...I'm the scourge of Obama nation...self employed.
I earn my living with my hands...massage therapist. OK, enough of this shit.

axioma
07-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Master Nationals: ......quality was DOWWWWN from last year (the men, the ladies continue to push the envelope)
Granted, all of my observations are based on photos only...so
First the positives:
1. James Robertson, 50+ heavy...best physique in the show...period.
2. Tim Gaillard...beautiful physique...thought he should have had a procard.
3. Willie Vegas...great physique...a bit smooth. Glutes?
4. Prince Fontenot...congratulations man. You have knocked and knocked and you showed up with your frame MAXED out with muscle. Maybe not quite as ripped as the past, but damn dude, you look dense. Well done.
OK, the negatives:
1. Lance Johnson...I know everyone LOVES this guy...but this was a GIFT...a big ribcage should not trump lines and cuts.
2. BSA? WTF?
3. Murrel Hall over Peter Finch...WTF?

In general...I am appalled at the total disrespect that so many competitors had for this contest...contempt even. Why else would so many of them show up completely out of condition looking like shit? I am talking about guys who earn a LIVING from this sport...a GOOD living...Rodney Roller...shit. Mel Chauncey...shit. Tad "the Diet Coach" Inoue...shit. I mean....is Roller SOOO full of his XXXX attitude that he thought he had a chance looking like that?

I'm off to do the only thing I can...legs.

axioma
07-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Oh, BTW...on the women...yes, they tend to come in with better overall conditioning than the guys...seems to be better overall depth, however starting to see the big guts...Pappas especially.

Margaret Negrete should have won a procard...outstanding lines, conditioning...muscles but never sacrificing a very feminine presentation...just a really pretty lady. Woman....you got robbed, lol.

AnglicanBeachParty
07-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Master Nationals: ......quality was DOWWWWN from last year (the men, the ladies continue to push the envelope)
First the positives:
4. Prince Fontenot...congratulations man. You have knocked and knocked and you showed up with your frame MAXED out with muscle. Maybe not quite as ripped as the past, but damn dude, you look dense. Well done.
OK, the negatives:
1. Lance Johnson...I know everyone LOVES this guy...but this was a GIFT...a big ribcage should not trump lines and cuts.
2. BSA? WTF?

In general...I am appalled at the total disrespect that so many competitors had for this contest...contempt even. Why else would so many of them show up completely out of condition looking like shit? I am talking about guys who earn a LIVING from this sport...a GOOD living...Rodney Roller...shit. Mel Chauncey...shit. Tad "the Diet Coach" Inoue...shit. I mean....is Roller SOOO full of his XXXX attitude that he thought he had a chance looking like that?

I was in Pittsburgh, and I agree with a lot of what you say here.

I'm curious what you think of Terry Lewis (http://gallery.rxmuscle.com/index.php?contest=47&year=385&bodybuilder=2967#6) (6th in LHW over 40). He's from here in Michigan, and is still kind of new to competitive bodybuilding.

axioma
07-25-2011, 03:23 PM
He looks great! Probably won't have much problem making it as a heavyweight though, big frame to pack more on and keep his lines.

Hammerfit
07-25-2011, 03:28 PM
I know it has been a LONG time. I won't try to catch everyone up in one sitting however the MRI on left shoulder reveals:
Torn labrum
Torn biceps tendon
Torn subscap major
Torn biceps sheath
Vary from minor to major...surgery is a must.
Most of you know the recup time for this type of surgery...the worst things:
I will pay out of pocket, don't have health coverage...I'm the scourge of Obama nation...self employed.
I earn my living with my hands...massage therapist. OK, enough of this shit.

Damn! That bites about the shoulder......are you planning on having it done soon?

Hammerfit
07-25-2011, 03:35 PM
First the positives:
OK, the negatives:
2. BSA? WTF?

I agree....
James Robertson, 50+ heavy...best physique in the show...

rcp1936
07-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Based on the pics I agree Finch got screwed
See my posing under Baldies original thread

V-Man
07-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Ax,

See what the hospital has to offer before surgery. A lot of them like the one I work at have charity care because to keep our tax free status the government says we have to do so much free work.

Also check on discounts and payment plans beforehand. A lot of hospitals will make a deal so as to recover some money.

axioma
07-26-2011, 09:09 AM
I have yet to consult with the surgeon, several actually. I will have to close my massage office, can't work for 4-6 months. Massage is actually harder on my shoulders than working out!

There are some things I need to get done, on house, business, before I am down an arm.

I will definately negotiate for cash deal...thanks for stopping by.

BTW, really inspired by the guys and gals on this forum...doing your thing, getting better each show...that is the way it is done.

V-Man
07-26-2011, 06:11 PM
How did this whole arm thing happen. I did not go back to read.

Hang in there, you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

rcp1936
07-27-2011, 08:07 AM
I have yet to consult with the surgeon, several actually. I will have to close my massage office, can't work for 4-6 months. Massage is actually harder on my shoulders than working out!

There are some things I need to get done, on house, business, before I am down an arm.

I will definately negotiate for cash deal...thanks for stopping by.

That is one tough ride for the future
Hope things work out

Mac
07-27-2011, 08:12 AM
Hey stranger. Seems like you dropped off the forums.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder problems and how it will affect your self-employment. I can relate to that.

You'll will overcome it, somehow.

BTW, I too don't have health insurance. Never needed it, until just this past month. A $8000 emergency room visits because of a kidney stone [thought i was dying]. Found out that at my income level, which because of the bad economy, enabled me to qualify for FREE health care benefits for self-employed and it paid for the hospital bill, in full.

axioma
08-07-2011, 08:33 PM
right on...however, did that pertain just to the fact that it was emergency, would it cover elective. funny, saying elective because I HAVE to have it done...I guess I could try to snatch 350 and have everyone ready to rush me and my detached arm to the emergency room, lol.

I am actually trying to see what I can do to "rehab", basically maintain some mobility. I have been doing rotator exercises and working out with 75% of my normal weights. Immediate ice. I have gone from needing a lortab and ibuprofin to just ice over the past three weeks. I am going to alter my massage techniques, however massage is the scariest thing I do related to the shoulder, just one little combination of elevation and rotation and POW...I do the Ric Flair WHOOOOOOOOO!

I have been keeping up with you guys, just don't post. I don't know what I have to offer, feeling like old meat.

I'll start posting some workouts...just trying to lean out and carry a little less bodyweight.

freebirdmac
08-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Damn, sorry to hear about the shoulder. Definitely shop a good surgeon and look for help on the bills. Glad you're lurking about!

Amazon Doll
08-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Damn, this sucks about your shoulder :(

bigjimjr50
09-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Hey Axioma, Thanks for the kind words, I told all my friends in SLC, I just didn't want to lose because of politics, and look what happened.. James Robertson

mrky03
09-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Wow Ax, just caught up with your thread. Sorry to hear about all this, I hope all goes well for you.

mkris7
10-12-2011, 02:38 AM
Sorry to hear about your shoulder. My prayer is for quick rehab or recovery for you.

HeavyDutyGuy
10-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Ax, I hear ya. I had been feeling like that. But last week or so, I thought, screw aging, forget about the judges and politics and just do it like I started. Realized there's nothing wrong with that!

axioma
01-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Just stopped by. Had a real treat, watched the Robby interview thread. I grew up in Tallahassee, so Robby was always the local celebrity.

Still training around the shoulder, doing circuits for the most part, focusing on range of motion and blood flow. Keeping journal to post on blog with recipes, etc.

Holding 220 at 12% bf. Eating good, clean, healthy food.

Supps: evaluating different creatine forms, C, B complex, ZMA, and doing a IFG precurser with bovine colostrum.

Glad to catch up on some journals and admire the dedication of all you guys and gals who stay with the forum and support one another.

Personal: I have begun the certification courses for Active Release Therapy. My first training is in Chicago in March. It is intensive and comprehensive to say the least. Our daughter is graduating college in May, interviewing for med schools now. Xiomara has been taking it easy, not training much but still looks incredible. I think she may venture into women's physique...we'll see. I have opened a new office, revamping the e-store (should relaunch in few weeks) and spending lots of time working on recipes to post on blog. Not necessarily precontest bodybuilding fare, but wholesome good food that is easy to prepare. Don't EVEN ask for a photo post...not happening,lol. I am smooth and hairy...as a gorilla should be this time of year! I'll stop by soon. Even though my shoulder has shot down the possibility of competing in the near future, I still hit the iron...never giving in but adapting and evolving. Take care, Matt.

Baldiewonkanobi
02-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Class act!!!

Marijan Lipsinic
02-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Hi Matt,
Great to see you post on your thread. We miss you bro.

axioma
02-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Hey yourself,lol! Pm'd ya.

Hammerfit
02-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Glad to see ya back bro! Been keeping up with ya. Sounds like the delts working itself out?

axioma
02-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Great hearing from you. Delt is allowing me to function within parameters...not bodybuilding workouts! I'm living vicariously through you guys right now...and that's ok,lol.

axioma
03-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Ok, just a quick post to catch up. I'm in Chicago taking my first a.r.t. Course. Very challenging to say the least. Please...don't post all the cool s**t I should check out while here, because you are just rubbing my nose in it because I am studying...yea...Nuff said. Anyway...I am wrapping up my second week of my new workout routine (bodybuilding, thanks...not a circuit or p90) and I feel great. Beat with a hammer great, nonetheless the shoulder is cooperating. I'll post it in few days. It is a Dante/Rambod/Helton hybrid,lol.

axioma
03-20-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm A.R.T. certified!!! I feel numb, not unlike after competing, only difference is binging doesnt help,lol. I got back Sunday, hoping to have a few days to ease back into my routine:
Xiomara has a crew of Ukranian electricians rewiring the house.
Xiomara has a crew of Mexican tile guys on standby, waiting for me to rip out the ttub, toilet and vanity in bathroom so they can get started. The house sounds like the freakin U.N.
I did 5 massages yesterday, went home and started demo. Idiot Matt wasn't wearing his safety glasses and a piece of tile hit me in the eye...God it hurt, still tearing up today, bloodshot, swollen...

Stop the insanity! Stop the Bulgarian/Honduran slave driver!

Hammerfit
03-20-2012, 09:36 AM
i'm a.r.t. Certified!!! I feel numb, not unlike after competing, only difference is binging doesnt help,lol. I got back sunday, hoping to have a few days to ease back into my routine:
Xiomara has a crew of ukranian electricians rewiring the house.
Xiomara has a crew of mexican tile guys on standby, waiting for me to rip out the ttub, toilet and vanity in bathroom so they can get started. The house sounds like the freakin u.n.
I did 5 massages yesterday, went home and started demo. Idiot matt wasn't wearing his safety glasses and a piece of tile hit me in the eye...god it hurt, still tearing up today, bloodshot, swollen...

Stop the insanity! Stop the bulgarian/honduran slave driver!

lmbo

Marijan Lipsinic
03-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Congrats on your certification Matt !
Hope you feel better.

mastersfreak63
03-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Awesome looking thread. IN!!!

axioma
04-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks for posting, freak! If you are in, then I guess I should be too,lol.

Mac
04-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Hey stranger. Hope all is well.

axioma
05-17-2012, 08:56 AM
All is well. I will update soon. Notice some new members...great to see renewed interest. I look forward to contributing on a regular basis soon.

axioma
06-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Still here! Trying to maintain 2x week workouts while rehabbing and work. Staying around 218. Headed to beach for much needed break, recharge batteries. When I return I will begin 90 day lean growth phase to test limits.

axioma
06-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Staying in wild dunes on isle of palms. Amazing.

Hammerfit
06-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Staying in wild dunes on isle of palms. Amazing.

Gald to see ya back again. I love the SC coast. Grew up just south of there in St Simons Island, GA

AnglicanBeachParty
06-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Gald to see ya back again. I love the SC coast. Grew up just south of there in St Simons Island, GA

Ditto - Good to see you back!

axioma
06-20-2012, 07:42 PM
In to my second week of 5x workouts per week. I'm feeling abused.
Mon: Legs
Tue: Calves, Chest
Wed.: Off
Thur: Abs, Back
Friday: Calves, Shoulders
Sat: Abs, Arms

Trying to address areas that Baldie once mentioned as needing attention: Traps, Calves.

Lesson learned in 7 workouts:
Pace myself...chomping at the bit. Now paying for it with some lower back issues. Taking me 10-15 steps to adjust enough not to walk like I'm pinching a loaf. Positive: Seem to be dealing with it better than previously, so hopefully it will only affect workouts for next two weeks.

218.5 @ (guessing) 12%.

Friend of mine,Bill Hall entered his first show on Saturday, The Supernatural in Spartanburg, SC. He is 43, the most natural guy I know, can't even take a fat burner for health concerns. He took home two seconds in Novice and Masters. Great show, great competitors and great expediters. He recognized the areas he needed to improve while suffering a loss in Novice. Masters was judged fairly, but he was robbed in Novice. My congratulations.

axioma
06-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Got through back. Couldn't put much into rows so I did 9 sets of pullups, dumbbell rows and seated cable.

Hammerfit
06-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Got through back. Couldn't put much into rows so I did 9 sets of pullups, dumbbell rows and seated cable.

Glad to see you back at it. How's the shoulder?

KevinCouch
06-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Glad to see you're back at training regularly again. I've taken a short hiatus from training this week and next week at beach with family.

axioma
06-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Shoulder is doing well. Not overloading it, nothing Heavy Duty. Just keeping sets around 8-10 on presses and not going to failure. I know it's there.

axioma
06-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Glad to see you're back at training regularly again. I've taken a short hiatus from training this week and next week at beach with family.

You are thee reason I have no plans to compete...Just couldn't approach your level. Keep it up...freaking incredible.

axioma
06-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Really enjoying having a garden. We have enough lettuce, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes and squash to eat every day! I finish second week of training today!

Marijan Lipsinic
06-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Hi Matt ! I'm glad to see you in the gym 5 times a week. I hope you're doing well. I'm sure your progress will be tremendous.
Say hello to Xiomara from Sandra and myself.
Talk soon bud !

axioma
06-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks Marijan. Congratulations on your personal training business, I know this is what you really want to do. The progress is good, especially since I took so many months off,, I just wonder if I will ever be able to get a freaky look at my age and with my injuries. I am doing a 90 day lean growth phase to see how well I respond and what imbalances I have. Xiomara and I hope to meet up with you guys in Atlanta one weekend.

Marijan Lipsinic
06-26-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks Marijan. Congratulations on your personal training business, I know this is what you really want to do. The progress is good, especially since I took so many months off,, I just wonder if I will ever be able to get a freaky look at my age and with my injuries. I am doing a 90 day lean growth phase to see how well I respond and what imbalances I have. Xiomara and I hope to meet up with you guys in Atlanta one weekend.

That would be awesome to see you guys. Let's plan on it.
I'm doing Masters Nationals in 3.5 weeks in Pittsburgh. I'm trying to squeeze into light-heavyweight class. I think I will.
I hope your training is going well.
Talk soon !

axioma
06-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Squeeze is the right word...with axle grease and a crowbar. PM if you dont have my number, I know yours has changed umpteen times, lol.

axioma
06-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Training: Back is healing up much quicker than before, so I must be getting smarter. Sure as heck not getting any younger! Shoulder tweeked again, just tried benching with 135 and felt it in the shoulder. However, I did incline dumbbell presses with 120's and it felt good.

Diet: Just cleaning up...cycling carbs, no bread, no beer (hurts, really, really hurts, I love my IPA's).. dropped 7 lbs. Starting to look like a bodybuilder again...just pint sized.

masterschamp
06-28-2012, 07:59 AM
All good!

Keith

axioma
07-09-2012, 09:09 AM
I finished my the first phase (one month) of my 90 day program on Saturday. Overall, it went very well. No major setbacks, progress was consistent. The goal was to initiate some fat burning via straight sets and short rest, but no cardio.

Phase 2: 14 day CKD&W. I have posted this previously in this thread, so I won't rehash it. Z is doing the program with me, so it helps. Yesterday we started by walking 3.5 miles (hilly) and my calves are paying the price today. This morning was 30 minutes cardio and the chest/back giant sets workout. My goal is to increase the metabolism, maintain growth momentum to a degree, however dropping 3-5lbs fat is the real goal.
A.M. yesterday starting program: 218 @ 14%bf.

Down4whatever
07-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Hey Matt,

It's been a while. I've been catching up on the curveballs life has been throwing at you. I know you will perservere though; guys like you don't give up easily.

I don't know if you're interested, but I need to hire a prep coach for my contest on October 13. If you're interested, fliip me an email at [email protected]

If you're too busy, I understand and no hard feelings.

Looking forward to following your progress!

--Matt

Baldiewonkanobi
07-09-2012, 05:44 PM
I love it when the good peeps rise up. Marijan best of luck. You at a LH GOOD GRIEF.
Hi to X ........and Matt from Tulsa great to see you around.

Baldie

axioma
07-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Hey Matt,

It's been a while. I've been catching up on the curveballs life has been throwing at you. I know you will perservere though; guys like you don't give up easily.

I don't know if you're interested, but I need to hire a prep coach for my contest on October 13. If you're interested, fliip me an email at [email protected]

If you're too busy, I understand and no hard feelings.

Looking forward to following your progress!

--Matt

You have been contacted and we are kicking ass as we speak! I look forward to seeing your progress. You have got the cajones, bro, that is the prerequesite for doing this!

axioma
07-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Phase 1: Purpose was to see if my body could tolerate 10-12 rep sets. No cardio was performed as i wanted to ramp up metabolism through workout only. Diet consisted of carb cycling 150-300 grams depending on workout and eliminating beer and bread. This was four weeks.

Phase 2: 14 CKD&W: Took myself from 14% to 10% in two weeks. 218 down to 213. Carb up day went up to 220 and felt like skin would burst....nice.

Phase 3: Began this on Monday. 4 weeks program:

axioma
07-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Day 1: abs, back + 30 min cardio
Day 2: calves, shoulders + 30 min cardio
Day 3: abs, arms + 30 min cardio
Day 4: off
Day 5: Legs
Day 6: calves, back + 30 min cardio
Day 7: abs, shoulders + 30 min cardio
Day 8: off + 35 min cardio
I will increase time and frequency of cardio over the next several weeks.

Diet: Protein @ 300 grams daily, Carbs @ 350 grams daily. I will decrease carbs gradually over the next several weeks. I will increase protein if I can tolerate (absorb) it. I don't count fats.
Based on what I've seen, I will get down to around 205 after a short deplete, allowing for carb up weight of 210.

Physique: Overall, everything responding, however there are some deficiencies due to the shoulder. I hope to overcome/compensate.

axioma
07-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Congratulations to my client, Bill Hall. Bill won the Masters and garnered a pro card at the SNBF Southern Classic. He will now accompany me into training hell over the next year to unveil a PRO physique next spring. This is a guy who did everything I asked and it paid off.

Baldiewonkanobi
07-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Congrats to you both. Sure is a good feeling to be part of the mission and victory. I had the honor and thrill in the mid 80s of training a Mr. USA.

Baldie

BTW I lost Jerry's (New York) phone number. Do you have it by chance?

axioma
07-26-2012, 08:13 AM
No, I don't have any contact info for Jerry. I believe he is on facebook though.

Baldiewonkanobi
07-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Kevin saw this post and forwarded number. Spelled Gerry I believe.

Somehow you will find a way to bring up the shoulders. Ya know it still pisses me off how you were put behind the curtains in Pitt. Gerry, Marijan and I had you 5th overall.

Hi to X.

Baldie

axioma
08-06-2012, 06:12 PM
When I began training again 10 weeks ago, I just wanted to see what I could do...IF I could do it. I began what i would call "contest prep" style training 6 weeks ago (this is radically different than I have done in the past) to see what my body would withstand. I have decided to enter the NPC Excalibur in Charleston, SC on the 25th August. I will compete as a Heavyweight (probably around 207).

Hammerfit
08-06-2012, 08:11 PM
When I began training again 10 weeks ago, I just wanted to see what I could do...IF I could do it. I began what i would call "contest prep" style training 6 weeks ago (this is radically different than I have done in the past) to see what my body would withstand. I have decided to enter the NPC Excalibur in Charleston, SC on the 25th August. I will compete as a Heavyweight (probably around 207).

AWesome news!

Mac
08-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Sounds like your body is responding well to training. Keep us up-to-date and good luck!

Down4whatever
08-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Kick ass, Matt!!!!!! Very excited to hear about this!

HeavyDutyGuy
08-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Go for it Matt! Glad you're doing it.

Baldiewonkanobi
08-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Great news.....

Baldie

axioma
08-09-2012, 05:44 PM
I know I have been sporadic at best with postings. This prep has been unique in so many ways. I have had to devote more time to my practice. The ART training has the hoped for benefit of getting more regular joes in the office. Once they realized that I could fix them up without having to get "massage" AND we talked lifting, it took off. Xiomara is swamped with work so she couldn't do the food prep...I haven't had the luxury of coming home during the day (as I would normally get to do a couple days a week), I had to take everything with me.

The contest: I picked a good one for a comeback after 2 years away. I am hearing there will be some guys there tuning up for Nationals. Should be a freak show!
I have no illusions, I will be jubilant if I place top 5 as a heavy. I'm not doing Masters it is 35+ and at that age you SHOULD be in the Open anyway...Masters, wtf?? Anyway, I figure whoever wins Masters would enter Open too, so just Open for me.

Diet: Today is indicative of the past few days and next week. I will go up and down on carbs as I feel I need them. Today was leg day, so diet reflects the expenditure.

Meal 1: 1 cups whites, 2 wholes + 1 cup oatmeal uncooked.
Meal 2: shake with egg whites, protein powder, peanut flour, banana
Intraworkout: BCAA + Impact (cordyceps product)
Meal 3: 50 grams protein + 30 grams carbolyze + apple
Meal 4: 10 oz. chicken breast + medium baked potato + 1/2 cup cooked spinach w/mushrooms, peppers
Meal 5: 50 grams protein from tuna + 30 grams from rice cake
Meal 6: 50 grams protein from salmon + salad or veggie, probably squash as we grew awesome butternut this year.
Meal 7: Depends on appetite, probably 0% greek yogurt + blended protein.
Fats: I supplement what is here with caps and almond butter.

Workout:
Cardio: At this point I am doing 30-35 minutes daily, except leg day. I have not exceeded this, nor will I. I began cardio six weeks ago, just three days a week and added gradually.
Extensions: 3 x 20 @95
Hacks: 3 x 12 @ 225, 315,385
Presses: 3 x 15 @ 7 plates per side (never taking feet off platform once I started and resting only 30 seconds).
Lunges: 3 x 10 ea. leg holding #25 plates.
Single leg curls: 3 x 12 @ 70
Stiff leg deads: 7 x 10 @ 135
Smith squats: 2 x 10 @ 315, 5 x 15-10 @ 185 (feet wide, working adductors and glutes).
Extreme stretch

Nothing crazy, not that heavy, but intense.

Stage goal: I want to present a physique that would not be out of place in the late 70's to mid 80's. I am going for everything that influenced me, Arnold, Zane, Nubret, Baldwin, Franco...not shredded but extremely defined with deep seperation between muscles...fullness, Hell yea, I want to stand on stage feeling the muscles about to burst through the skin...that is the Holy Grail.

Training: I won't bother with supplements and such, as everyone has an opinion and bullshit is rampant, nuff said. I will say that I feel GREAT! I feel like a freaking bodybuilder....I feel that vision creeping towards the surface...so close. You guys know the vision...that one that you would like to see just once in your life...Godlike.

KevinCouch
08-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Matt, Really glad to see you back hitting it in the gym hard again. I've decided to pass on the Nationals and jump up to lightheavy class for next summer's Masters Nationals.

I'll be following along carefully with your journal buddy. Welcome back!
Kevin

axioma
08-09-2012, 06:52 PM
You can do it...sick. I try to check out other journals, but I don't have time to reply. I won't until after the show, but I appreciate the comments and views. I just want to get this down here, as this is where the journey began.

axioma
08-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Feeling drained today. A little worried as Z has been sick, running high fever and our daughter's boyfriend was recently diagnosed with mono. Vewy Scawy.

axioma
08-11-2012, 04:34 AM
4:30 a.m.: cooking meal 1: steak, veggie + watermelon. I'm standing outside with a flashlight, trying not to wake Z....

axioma
08-11-2012, 07:44 AM
7:40 a.m. eggs and oatmeal then workout.

axioma
08-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Calves: single leg toe raise w/45: 4 x 12
calf press machine: 4 x 15 @ 250
Chest:
cross overs: 7 x 10 @ 60 (holding 2 seconds at hips)
Incline barbell press: 4 x 10-12 @ 225
Slight incline dumbbell press: 4 x 12 @ 85
Incline fly: 4 x 12 @ 40

10 oz. ground turkey + 1 cup green beans

axioma
08-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Ok, I thought I was going to do some great play by play, but no dice.

3:00 8oz salmon and 2 cups raw spinach

5:00 walked 3.5 miles around neighborhood. I don't know about posting pics from droid, but Z took a great one of me leaving the house...attire: compression shorts, plaid boxers, NUDE colored compression socks! and my Tilley hat. I noticed drivers where giving me a wide birth, waving, smiling, completely contrary to previous walks. It hit me, because of the color of the socks and the painful expression on my face and lumbering gait, I think they thought I was an amputee vet. I was in PAIN, calves screaming, lower back barking...

7:00 10oz chicken breast, small sweet potato and half apple.

10:30 1 cup egg whites + 2 whole

axioma
08-11-2012, 11:10 PM
A couple of things hit me since yesterday:
1. Kevin Couch looks better 12 weeks out than I do 2 weeks out.
2. People driving to your show and getting hotels puts some serious pressure on you.
3. I do love this.

I rationalized (excuses?) the following:
1. Kevin has a world class physique and is a genetic freak. He has been doing this 20 years. I have been doing it four years, out of which only three were productive in terms of growth and progress. When I said getting the "Godlike" feeling, it is about getting close to what Kevin has achieved several times in his career, reaching that image that puts in touch with the Divine, if you believe in such. Or at the very least, creating a physique that will stand the test of time. I feel I am getting there. This is the first time that I have been in this kind of shape, not cardioing my ass to death, eating sensibly and getting awesome workouts! All the while chipping away and adding clay to culminate in something that someone will say, "that is a beautiful body."
2. I had NO intention of entering a show 6 weeks ago. I wanted to see "what if". I committed to doing it three weeks ago. I needed the concrete goal to dial in and suffer a little that just saying I will get in shape won't allow. I am blown away that friends are driving 3-5 hours, getting hotel rooms and paying for the show. They would not have gone otherwise. Then it hit me, what if I suck, really suck up there? I mean 8 week contest prep...at 47? After months off? WTF was I thinking? I am going to trust in my plan. First time as a heavy, first show in 2 years...
3. I LOVE this...seeing what I have been working on so close to the surface. I'm not saying I am not experiencing some discomfort...getting done in 8 weeks what should take 12 isn't accomplished without some pain....but it is what it is and it is good.

masterschamp
08-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Matt....it's great to see you hitting it with that focus again. You'll be right where you want to be in good time.........I know you mentioned 2013....that would be great....I told Kevin there will be so many of us doing the Master's Nats next year that we will all have to go out after the show . We should get some Team Rx Muscle thing going........in any case first round after the showis on me.

Keith

axioma
08-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Matt....it's great to see you hitting it with that focus again. You'll be right where you want to be in good time.........I know you mentioned 2013....that would be great....I told Kevin there will be so many of us doing the Master's Nats next year that we will all have to go out after the show . We should get some Team Rx Muscle thing going........in any case first round after the showis on me.

Keith I accept that offer!

axioma
08-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Back:
wide grip pulldowns: 2 x 15 @ 192 (cybex 12lb. plates)
close grip pulldowns: same
reverse grip smith bar rows: 4 x 12-15 @ 185
one arm dumbbell rows: 4 x 10 @ 100
straight arm dumbbell pulloevers: 3 x 15 @ 50
straight arm cable pulldowns: 3 x 12 @ 90
Iso lateral pulldown: to sets of static holds
rope pulldowns: 4 x 15 @ 120

Didn't do cardio today. Legs were fried from the walk last night and the pace of the workout completely drained me. I will get up 4:30 a.m. and do it for the next 5 days.

Off to get last meal in: 12 eggs + Fiberlyze.

KevinCouch
08-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Really good volume at that back work Matt. 4:30 in the morning cardio on empty stomach, that's a man with a mission!

BTW, appreciate the kind words about me but I'm just another guy who loves to train and every now and then stand up on stage to compare poses. :)

AnglicanBeachParty
08-13-2012, 06:43 AM
Good luck in your contest!!

axioma
08-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks, I'll need it.

axioma
08-14-2012, 01:45 PM
I had every workout planned for the last two weeks, however have to make changes. I was planning on working legs today so that I could get them in one more time before next week. I am booked on therapy sessions today, no way I can do 6 deep tissue session (5 of which are guys) and work a split session of legs. Worked for the best, as the lower back is fried from back extensions and shrugs yesterday. I''ll cut carbs a bit today, do some good cardio, hit legs tomorrow and then a light sesssion again on Sunday, which will be my last leg workout.

axioma
08-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Yesterday:
5:00 a.m. cardio x 35
10 a.m. shoulders
cardio x 10 min
rear delts on cables 7 x 10
Seated dumbbell press: 4 x 12 @ 70-85
seated dumbbell lateral raises: (hitting slightly different head each set). 4 x 15 @ 25
Upright smith rows: 3 x 12 @ 90
barbell shrugs: 7 x 10 @ 225

5p.m. arms
cardio x 10min
straight bar curls: 7 x 10 w/bar
dumbbell hammer curls: 3 x 12 @ 40
concentration curls: 4 x 12 @ 25
reverse grip curls: 3 x 15
triangle bar pushdowns: 7 x 10 @ 80
close grip bench: 4 x 12-15 @ 225
nose breakers leaning on smith bar and pushing off hard: 3 x 15 w/bodyweight
kickbacks: 3 x 15 @ 20

axioma
08-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Had another change. I started looking at my schedule and realized that today was not going to be any better than yesterday, so I said WTF and worked legs.

extensions: 2 x 20 @ 120
Seated leg curls: 2 x 20 @ 90
Squats: 135, 225, 315 5 sets of 10
Stiff leg deadlifts (knees locked): 4 x 15 @ 165 ***pulled hamstring, very deep, at ischium...painful.
Unilateral leg press: 4 x 15 w/3 plates per side
One leg curls: 4 x 12 @ 50
Lunges: 4 x 15 w/30lb dumbbells
one leg extensions: 3 x 15-20 @ 50
Using lots of ice and light stretch after...first real injury of prep

axioma
08-15-2012, 09:34 AM
I did 35 minutes of cardio this morning. I started on Precor elliptical flat and backwards with low resistance to warm up the area. I got through it.
Abs: Bench crunches w/bench set almost vertical: 3 x 20-15
dumbbell side bends: 3 x 15 w/25
jackknives: 3 x failure

Weighing 209.

Down4whatever
08-15-2012, 11:16 AM
dumbbell side bends: 3 x 15 w/25

Holy hell, I added these on Monday with abs. I used 45# plates since back in the day I used 90# dumbbells. I did 3x20 @45# and that movement totally screwed me up. It hurts to cough, laugh, or even roll over in bed. Lesson learned: when doing a movement that hasn't been done in a few years--go easy. :D

Prep is looking awesome! Looking forward to seeing finished product!

Baldiewonkanobi
08-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Love seeing all that effort to perfect your therapy skills pay off with those bookings. (I sure could use your craft applied to my neck/traps) I knew you could rebound in all ways. Cant wait to see the show pics.

Baldie

axioma
08-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Down4, I usually just throw the side bends in the last few weeks just to tighten waist and accentuate obliques. I have to be careful not to widen waist. That is one of the reasons I dropped heavy squats from this prep, just to let hips and waist come down...I really tend to develop that area, lol.

Baldie, thanks for the steadfastness. I hope you see the improvements I have made to traps and calves like you suggested.

As this was the last "off day" until next Thursday, I decided to reintroduce some sanity. After I finished work, I did some shopping and Z and I had a nice relaxing dinner:
Fresh grilled sockeye salmon
Oven baked butternut squash fries
Asparagus
1/2 glass of pinot noir
dessert: 4 oz. coconut water w/splash of red rock gingerale. Life is good...again.

I realized that if I am really going to do this differently, then not being a self-consumed maniac was prerequesite. Tomorrow I start superset workouts: Chest/Back.

Hammerfit
08-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Down4, I usually just throw the side bends in the last few weeks just to tighten waist and accentuate obliques. I have to be careful not to widen waist. That is one of the reasons I dropped heavy squats from this prep, just to let hips and waist come down...I really tend to develop that area, lol.

Baldie, thanks for the steadfastness. I hope you see the improvements I have made to traps and calves like you suggested.

As this was the last "off day" until next Thursday, I decided to reintroduce some sanity. After I finished work, I did some shopping and Z and I had a nice relaxing dinner:
Fresh grilled sockeye salmon
Oven baked butternut squash fries
Asparagus
1/2 glass of pinot noir
dessert: 4 oz. coconut water w/splash of red rock gingerale. Life is good...again.

I realized that if I am really going to do this differently, then not being a self-consumed maniac was prerequesite. Tomorrow I start superset workouts: Chest/Back.

Awesome to see you doing well again......can't wait to see ya back on stage soon! Hopefully we'll all meet up at that lil show in Pitt in '13

KevinCouch
08-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Matt,
You're training looks good and also looks like you have a new motivation and confidence! Awesome stuff looking forward to seeing latest pics!

axioma
08-17-2012, 01:56 AM
Made rookie mistake and consumed too much caffeine today...half life kicked in an hour ago....reminds me to stop all stims Sunday.

Today:
calves: toe presses: 3 x 30
seated calf: 3 x 30

chest/back supersets:
Incline bar press: 4 x 15-12 @ 195 w/ Iso lateral lo row: 4 x 15 @ 2 plates
Incline fly: 3 x 12 @ 50 w/Iso lateral hi row (pulling on rails, not handles) 3 x 12 @ 2 plates
pec dec: 4 x 15 w/ seated cable row (med. width grip): 4 x 15 @ 160
Dip machine: 4 x 12 w/dumbbell pullovers: 4 x 15
x overs: 3 x 15 w/back extensions: 3 x 15 w/25

axioma
08-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Actually the post was today, but the workout was yesterday,lol.

a.m.: abs, shoulders
smith press: 4 x 12 @135
dumbbell upright rows: 3 x 15 @ 45-50
seated dumbbell laterals: 4 x 15 @ 25
dumbbell shrugs: 4 x 12 @ 80
rear delt machine: 4 x 12 @ 90

p.m.: cardio, arms
supersets:
overhead rope extensions: 4 x 12 w/standing alternate dumbbell curls: 4 x 12 @35
one arm reverse pushdown: 3 x 15 w/dumbbell preacher curls: 3 x 12 @30
Lying cross body dumbbell extensions: 3 x 12 @30 w/reverse straight bar curls: 3 x 12 @65
all done moderate/slow cadence, squeeze at extension and flexion.

feeling pretty beat up. took a lot to muster the second visit. serious acid reflux today...I feel that minus water loss, two days rest and 1.5 day carb load, I am ready to get onstage...207.

axioma
08-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Time to catch up:
Decided to take the weekend and see how I would respond to some carbs, ate normally with exception of some ice cream and burger (no bun) and fries on Saturday. Ate clean Sunday, but loaded with 200 grams. I was 207 Sunday morning and 213 4.5 hours later, lol. Ok, I am responding...

Today: last leg workout.
Smith squats (wanted to protect lower back and focus on quads more than hips/glutes: 225, 315, 365, 405 x 10 x 2
Cybex squat press: 7 plates per side: 4 x 20 w/drop on last set.
One leg lying curls: 4 x 15
inner/outer/knee strikes 3 x 20 ea. leg
good mornings (broomstick): 3 x 20
bench step ups w/30's: 2 x 20
stationary bench lunge (one leg behind and on bench) w/30's: 2 x 20

Ate steak/potato post workout and then began deplete through Wed.

axioma
08-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Abs:
high incline crunches
bosu ball leg raises
ab coaster, sides and middle
3 sets to failure on all

Chest/Back supersets:
wide grip pulldowns w/incline machine press
flat bench dumbbell press w/hammer low rows
cable crossovers w/nautilus unilateral pulldowns
pec dec w/nautilus seated row
4 sets of 12-15 on all exercises.

Tomorrow is last workout: shoulders and arms. Pain in shoulder finally caught up with me today...low bodyfat leaves nothing to protect joints, cracking pretty painful. Also got full day of deep tissue massages...I'll be taking ice chest with me for post workout and in between sessions.

Baldiewonkanobi
08-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Could be a plecebo effect but I doubled my Hyaluronic Acid (Biotech) intake and most of the noise and pain stopped in shoulders.

Press on brother....

Bill

Down4whatever
08-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Tear it up on stage tomorrow, Matt!!!

Thanks for the sneak peak of the physique....oh yeah, we didn't get one :D

Baldiewonkanobi
08-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Wish I were there. Knock em dead brother.

Baldie

(stay away from the fucking curtains)

Rick Prince
08-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Best wishes to you Matt, at the Excalibur. I look forward to seeing photos from the show.

axioma
08-25-2012, 05:53 AM
First, thank you everyone for the well wishes...I'll rip the fucking curtains off and do a strip tease with 'em!

Yesterday...just followed the philosophy that I started with: grow to the show. I probably took in 400+ grams carbs.
5 slices ezekiel bread
1 cup oatmeal
5 sweet potatoes
10 pieces nigiri sushi (rice and meat, no rolls, no soy)
3 chicken breasts
1 sirloin
lots of rice cakes....

I just had a strong cup of coffee (got to POO) and 4 slices ezekiel bread. I am filled out, excellent seperation and thin skin...what I wanted. I should get a ridiculous pump when I add the waffles and syrup around 8 a.m. and then the GU pack before stage.

Sneak peak: I just want to focus on how I will look in a few hours...that is all that matters. I will post shots for good or bad and look forward to constructive criticism on how to continue improving. I have worked out covered up...not given gym members the gratuitous ab shots (you tend to hear "oh, they're getting there, how much longer?"). I have made a plan, most of it contrary to the norm, and stuck with it. Hopefully, I will validate my training/supplementation/diet philosophy and more importantly, show that a 47 year old can hang with guys 20+ years younger and with just 8 weeks prep. This is for me, my family, my friends and for you...the Masters faithful who have been there, worked your jobs, provided for family, dealt with all the setbacks that come with age and perservered. Cheers my brothers and sisters in IRON. Matt Helton.

Mac
08-25-2012, 08:17 AM
Good luck in your show. I look forward to seeing the finished package.

Hammerfit
08-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Awesome Matt.

axioma
08-28-2012, 09:41 AM
I'll have to figure out how to post. I don't have a harddrive anymore to download pics to, just using ipad. everyone shot different stuff, so got to figure out who has what. There was a person taking shots from stage so I will see if she as a site.

Contest results:

I placed 4th out of 6 in heavyweight division. I can't expect more than this with only ssix weeks of prep. The winner of heavy's won the overall, looked great with lots of potential. I was the 17 years older than the next oldest guy in the class. So, not bad.

I have to give it to the promoter, Tres Bennet and Glen Herring. I know Tres is on this board, has visited my thread, so I welcome any comments.
Tres has to walk a tight rope, in my opinion. This is why:
He is the co-promoter with Glen Herring.
He and Glen both are trainers and had many competitors in the show.
Tres is also the Head Judge.
Tres' wife is a trainer with competitors and is a judge.
Tres makes a point of saying that he and the judges are like family.

With all of this, how do you even maintain the ILLUSION of fairness? Tres makes a point of addressing this in the precomp meeting, by saying that he is just ONE judge.. True, but when judges are taking bananas and gatorade to competitors THEYY train, who are about to pass out on stage, the illusion crumbles.
And while he says he has seven judges, as head judge he decides where to place competitors in line. If you leave a competitor who is a potential top three on the far end, pretty much obscured from 4 judges, you can greatly influence outcome. Yes, Tres really has his work cut out for him wearing all the hats and judging with a family,lol.
This illusion of fairness also determines how you spend your money. I personally was responsible for putting $1,500 in Tres' pocket because of the friends who came only to see me compete (we bought an entire row for the night show at $35 a pop). And we poured another $4000 grand into the local economy with hotels, eats, etc. I ddon't want to be judged by a "family" of judges again,lol.

The show and venue: The Sottile Theater is an incredible place, very classy and elegant. Great venue. The actual show, not impressed. Tres makes a point of discouuraging having non-competitors backstage by charging them an additional $50 on top of purchasing a prejudging and evening ticket...so $110 to help. He says that there will be plenty of expeditors to help with oil, etc. Not so. The only guys I ever saw helping was a judge, getting one of his competitors ready. It was different in 09 at the state which Tres also owns, lots of help, but not this time.

A person in the audience made this observation: "This reminds me of a dance or piano recital for a kid...not a competition"

axioma
08-28-2012, 09:48 AM
check photos at:
www.collardphoto.com store/photo tab

axioma
08-28-2012, 09:50 AM
they don't appear to be up yet.

Down4whatever
08-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Your write-up makes me sad for our sport. I see it all the time in other people's Journals. Makes me wonder if I should just stick to Powerlifting.

Sorry you had to go through this, Matt.

Hammerfit
08-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Seems kinda off centered a bit to be a promoter, head judge and trainer of competitors in your own event. I guess from his perspective, should I not allow my competitors to compete in my event? I can see both sides of that situation but being the head judge in his own event would be where I would have a small problem and probably wouldnt compete at that event.

That being said I hope not to offend anyone, since I do not personally know all the facts.

Looking forward to seeing your pics. I'm sure you brought it as usual.

axioma
08-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Seems kinda off centered a bit to be a promoter, head judge and trainer of competitors in your own event. I guess from his perspective, should I not allow my competitors to compete in my event? I can see both sides of that situation but being the head judge in his own event would be where I would have a small problem and probably wouldnt compete at that event. Of course you let your competitors compete in your event. No problems, however do you also JUDGE your competitors and expect the other competitors to swallow the shit you serve?

That being said I hope not to offend anyone, since I do not personally know all the facts. Politically correct, especially from a forum leader,but as far as knowing the FACTS, nothing to know, other than the same guy is promoter, trainer/sponsor (Tres' Nutrition Shop) AND head judge. Real simple. You make your own deductions regarding propriety and fairness. I'm not saying I didn't look like shit. I am talking about the illusion of fairness in a sport that is NOT a fucking sport...just a beauty pageant that rewards everything from classic lines and rock hard conditioning to bloated, distended bellies and synthol enhanced bodyparts...right? I am saying I got what I deserved, 4th. I was stupid enough to post that I was only prepping for this show for 6 weeks. ..how would it look if a guy who is 47 and preps for 6 weeks beats out guys that you have been taking money from for 16-20 weeks? It MIGHT affect your business...SO, if you have control of ALL aspects of a competition, is it a bit of a stretch to think you won't want YOUR guys to win? Xiomara said six weeks ago, do you want to go to Charleston and enter a show that is a showcase for Tres' and Glen's competitors? I'm hard headed. Mike, I'm not asking you to take sides, just call bullshit when you see it, smell it or step in it. You need to speak out that a promoter/trainer cannot serve as a judge in his own show...or his wife for that matter. Simple...

Looking forward to seeing your pics. I'm sure you brought it as usual.

I really want to get the entire prejudging video posted on youtube, then you can make your judgments.

Hammerfit
08-30-2012, 12:02 PM
I really want to get the entire prejudging video posted on youtube, then you can make your judgments.

I thought I did say that LOL even if it was as you put it "politically correct" (cause I have to) Our sport has become very askewed in regards to being an even playing field. Hell I'm not comfortable competing in anything local anymore because of all the disparity between judges, trainers and friends of them. Just about every level 5 show I've seen lately has been the top 3 is the client of the trainer and/or judge. Does that mean their clients are that much better than everyone else? I'll leave that one alone cause you already know my answer.

I'm anxious to see the pics and or vids. Once I have seen them I will tell everyone exactly how feel, however, I will PM you my personal comments. Even though I may feel negative about something I wont make a negative statement on a public forum. I have found out the hard way that always comes back and bites me in the ass.

But lastly, You need to speak out that a promoter/trainer cannot serve as a judge in his own show...or his wife for that matter.

I agree!

axioma
08-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Thanks Mike. This sport has lost so much credibility, especially to those spectators who are new to it. Trying to explain this to a national level triathlete in the audience was, comical. I have noticed a big difference between the drug tested events and NPC shows.
1. Placing are much closer and less WTF in placings in drug tested shows.
2. Audience is of a different sort. Less thugs and Sons of Anarchy wannabes at the natty shows. The drugs are the reason. These thugs have no reason to attend the shows....you completely change the dynamic of the sport when the money from steroids is taken out. That is not to argue the merit of steroids, just the scummy subculture that thrives on it. Let's face it, the guys who are at the top of the distribution chain are not just dealing in test, but all the peripheral drugs, cocaine, meth...
3. Natty shows seem to care about the judging process more than NPC shows, making sure that competitors get a chance to mix it up if the are close.

I strongly discourage anyone from crossing the line to AAS unless they have gone as far as they can go naturally and they are fully mature. My client Bill Hall has only competed in two natty shows, won a Masters and got his pro card. Doesn't mean much to a NPC guy, however he has already been approached for endorsements and invited to compete in show, as well as a profile on bodybuilding.com. There are guys who have competed for YEARS and taken thousands of mg's of drugs and never gotteen an attaboy much less an endorsement offer! I crossed the line because of a diagnosed hormone deficiency, however if I had known the state of the sport in 08 when I started, I might have looked for some other way to get my test levels back up rather than supplemental HRT. Any of you younger guys who might read this..think really, really hard before you commit to such a politically corrupt "sport". IF I compete again, I will ask the promoter about conflicts of interest, judges, etc. before doing a show. I will not subject myself to being judged and disrespected by persons who do not have the character to see a flagrant violation of good sportsmanship.

Mac
08-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Unfortunately not much has changed in the judging of our sport since I last competed in the 80s. Too much favoritism and politics. I saw it then and see it now. Sorry that you too got wrapped up in it and suffered because of it. I love bodybuilding but not to jump on stage and probably endure what you have just gone through.

HeavyDutyGuy
08-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at the show. Victor has been telling me how corrupt the IFBB and bodybuilding hierarchy is in general and how the athletes are the ones who get burned the worst. Hopefully things will improve.

Baldiewonkanobi
08-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Makes me sick my friend. I have so so many similar stories. I competed in the 1980 whatever AAU Masters Mr. America in Philly. The head judge was a fat broad who I overheard from the stage telling the other judges during the first line up..."the guy in red is from California". 9 judges, one from Mich. and one from Fla. All the others from the Chesapeke Bay area as were the other 8 competitors save one from Oregon. I was by far the best conditioned man on stage and by 30 pounds the biggest. I got 3rd. Oregon guy last. Later the head judge and the winner were talking about the next dog show they were entering their jointly owned dog. Well fuck me big time. Cost me some $3000 for 2 airfares and hotel etc.

I expect better from the NPC. Don't know why.

I feel for ya bro.

Baldie

Baldiewonkanobi
08-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Makes me sick my friend. I have so so many similar stories. I competed in the 1980 whatever Masters Mr. America in Philly. The head judge was a fat broad who I overheard her telling the other judges during the first line up..."the guy in red is from California". 9 judges, one from Mich. and one from Fla. All the others from the Chesapeke Bay area as were the other 8 competitors save one from Oregon. I was by far the best conditioned man on stage and by 30 pounds the biggest. I got 3rd. Oregon guy last. Later the head judge and the winner were talking about the next dog show they were entering their jointly owned dog.

I expect better from the NPC. Don't know why.

I feel for ya bro.

Baldie

Baldiewonkanobi
09-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Pics are up. Matt you were the best conditioned man in your class. The others were water city. Amazing comeback from your injury. You gotta be proud!!

Baldie

BTW it's OK to smile on stage

Mac
09-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Matt you were the best conditioned man in your class.

indeed... however it looks as though he did somewhat smile a few times. I don't remember you being so vascular Matt.

Good job!

axioma
09-25-2012, 09:56 AM
The pics you saw were taken after I had been humiliated in prejudging. Nothing much to smile about when you are relegated to the end of lineup,lol. I do need to remember to relax the face, I was just pissed. I seem to be getting more vascular with age...

Hey, I got in contest shape in less than 8 weeks, never jeopardized my health, never ate tilapia, didn't do cardio marathons...just wanted to show it can be done. Is it ideal? No.

I went from 16%bf to whatever I was on stage...guesses? If I was in prep mode 16 weeks out and starting at a reasonable 10%bf...well, we will just have to wait for that hypothetical,lol.

I will post pictures in the next couple of weeks, as I want new guys to see that you don't have to explode to exploit a rebound. I am weighing between 212 and 214 and am off ALL supplements. I might take 250mg test e, every 10-15 days and 2iu gh daily. I take that back, I am just starting to use creatine again, trying out some new supps because I got samples and coupons, lol. The last prep supps were stopped August 18th.

I have not been posting, and to you guys who I have encouraged to join site, please get acquainted with rest of site, I will get back here. I have had super busy month in business, plus Z's and Heather's birthdays last week. I got Z a road bike and gear,, so she has everything to do some age group domination in sprint triathlons next spring. Heather is taking Krav Maga and just got paired up with former FSU lineman in practice,lol. I have enjoyed taking a backseat and watching their progress and enthusiasm. I am still ramping up training though:

Yesterday legs.
10 minute cardio warmu
Extensions: 3 x 12 heavy
Front squats: 4 x 10 @ 225
Press: 4 x 10 @ 18 plates
Hammer v squat: 3 x 10 @ 315
Lying leg curls: 3 x 12 heavy
Stiff leg dumbbell deadlifts: 3 x 12 @ 90.
calves and abs supersetted.

This was after riding with Z on Sunday. She said i looked comical, but cool on the bike...

axioma
09-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Chest and tris today:
Incline hammer: 4 x 10 (finished at 385)
Incline fly: 3 x 10 @ 45, 55, 65
decline press: went light, normally use more weight, however shoulder is in very unstable position: 3 x 12 @ 225.
Pec dec: 7 x 10

Reverse grip tricep cable: 3 x 12
Close grip bench: 3 x 12 @ 185
dumbbell pullovers: 3 x 10 @ 65 (again, feeling for shoulder stability)

gman
09-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Take care of that shoulder! It's cool that you were not posting for so many good reasons!

axioma
10-02-2012, 09:06 AM
ffor some reasoon II cannoot posst using the kkeyboaardd connectedd to my iipad RX is just ttoo freakiing sloow to pprocess it oor something. Jeez, this loooks likee giibbeerish. II;m ggeetting tthe feeliing I am unloved hhere,loll. I seendt HHildebraand ttwwo PPMss with nno ressponsee. II cann't stand to look at this anymore, I willl have too wait untill I am aat a PCC..

axioma
10-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Guys, I'm really trying to post, but I am using an iPad a lot. I have to use the touch pad and it is agonizingly slow, 2second delay before letter appears. Only problem is on this site

axioma
10-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Having great workouts, but feeling elbow joints. Threw Nerf ball Sunday and elbows killed me next day.
Monday: legs
Single extensions: 4x12
Squats: 4x10 (405 last set)
Press: 4x20 (constant movement)
Hack: 3x12
Single leg curl: 3x12
Lying curl: 3x12
Back extensions: 3x10
Abs

Tue: chest/Tri
Pec fly: 7x10
Incline dumbbell press: 4x12
Flat fly: 3x12
Incline Smith: 7x10
Overhead rope extensions: 7x10
Close grip decline bench: 3x12
Single arm press, palm up: 3x10
Cable press w/bar: 7x10

Legs still sore, chest is . Shoulders arms today. Can't work back

HeavyDutyGuy
10-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Guys, I'm really trying to post, but I am using an iPad a lot. I have to use the touch pad and it is agonizingly slow, 2second delay before letter appears. Only problem is on this site
I feel your pain. Ever since the upgrade, I can barely post from my IPhone. I have to type this out on notepad or another app, then cut and paste it. Frustrating to be sure.

Mac
10-05-2012, 10:18 AM

I am trying my iPad OMG

My 1st GEN iPad was unusable. I previously used it here without any problems. Probably one of the animated Ads.

Ok, back on my desktop Mac. I had no idea THAT problem existed with all of the other issues.

That is so bad. I just cannot fathom why they let this continue.

Mac
10-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Go to the bottom left corner in your browser and select the mobile skin. It works well here and you don't have to put up with the ads too

axioma
10-06-2012, 12:18 AM
Thank you my cyber enhanced brother.

Hammerfit
10-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Enjoy reading your training schemes, don't leave us out!

axioma
10-06-2012, 10:05 AM
I just ran a 5k. A friend of mine promotes it every year for past 15. Last time I ran was '09,lol. Made it under thirty minutes! Lungs were great, legs were logs and mind was going...why?
I wasn't planning to do it, just help out, so I wore boxers...not good. About to celebrate with my super waffles.

axioma
11-15-2012, 09:20 PM
First of all...I won't be training anyone that I can't meet with in person at least weekly. I'm not that good. I think I did pretty well with clients...Matt wry looked better after working with me than before so not bad based on the circumstances and what I had to work with. Sometimes clients seem like they are just trying to get attention wherever they can and come across as insecure. Hard to tell via email.
Also, I have helped members on this forum with supplementation. They are scared..."will you order it for me?" or " tell me if it is legit after you order". ...it is what it is so man up and order shit and take your fucking chances like everyone else... Ain't my line of work so don't throw a fucking tantrum when I tell you I can't help you anymore...nuff said, no more...

Plans for 2013:
Enter national qualifier masters show in July
Enter rev3 Olympic distance triathlon in October

Peace out...much unconditional love...your ni**a...

Mac
11-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Damn...

I will look forward to seeing you onstage from the audience, at the Masters in Pittsburgh. It will have been 4 yrs? Time flies.

axioma
11-15-2012, 09:36 PM
State of the art:
Since competing 8/25 @ 209 I have slowly moved up to current 222 @ 12%ish. I have run three 5k and did 45 mile bike ride (first ride in years). Doing 4 sets of 15 super deep continuously moving squats with 335... Doing 15 rep sets of flat bench dumbbell press with 115's...
Workout 5 days week:
Legs
Chest
Back
Off
Shoulders
Arms
Off
Cardio: sporadic, maybe 3x week, but really HIIT in nature. Do it for ten minutes, then go squat...Cybex arc level 30, incline 20... Fingers interlocked behind head whole time...squats are dessert after that...do it again after legs.

axioma
11-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Not saying I'll do that one Mac. $$ and I really think I'm at a huge age disadvantage...probably best chance at 50. Not ruling it out, Xiomara gets final word,lol

axioma
11-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Ok, don't want to wear out welcome, it is bedtime anyway...nighty nite.

axioma
11-30-2012, 12:30 PM
still here...glad everyone had safe, healthy?, thanksgiving,lol.
I am about to kick it up by doing my 14 day CKD&W for the month of Dec. I will take some start and finish pics w/stats. I'm not looking for serious weight loss, just rev up metabolism and face a daily challenge.

axioma
07-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Guys
I will start posting very soon
I have ART training in Boston end of August. That is taking all spare time. I am holding 215 at under 10% bf doing slow rep heavy duty workout.

Hammerfit
07-29-2013, 06:40 PM
Guys
I will start posting very soon
I have ART training in Boston end of August. That is taking all spare time. I am holding 215 at under 10% bf doing slow rep heavy duty workout.

Great to hear from ya,,,,,,subscribed:bigpopcorn:

axioma
12-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Happy Holidays guys!

masterschamp
12-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Back at ya!

axioma
01-12-2014, 08:47 PM
This as taken mid-November. Bodyweight 212. I began my "off season" training program of 2x workout a week, one set 5/5 cadence, 4 exercises total.

axioma
01-13-2014, 06:18 AM
It has been awhile! I have a new workout partner who has helped me raise the bar on my training. I have evolved my training to the point that I am working out twice a week MAX. Life demanded that I make these changes. I have a daughter in Med school, busy A.R.T. practice and lots of other interests. I also wanted to test some of the protocols put forth by Tim Ferriss in the 4 Hour Body. I have been following the workout for 10 weeks now and I am pleased. In that period of time I have: remodeled my kitchen, refined my archery skills and devoted an additional 10 hours a week to my business.

Mac
01-13-2014, 06:53 AM
Glad to see you're still at it. I wish I could take 10 hours a week from my business to devote more to training and get an hour of ART a few times week from you to fix my sciatica.

Looking great in that latest picture.

axioma
01-13-2014, 02:18 PM
If you are ever close by....

axioma
01-13-2014, 08:32 PM
My workout over the last couple of months was designed to the following:
1. NOT HURT MY SHOULDER LOL
2. Maintain muscle mass
3. Not gain excessive BF
4. Get stronger
All while following a MED (minimum effective dose) philosophy. I wanted to honestly test a TRUE HIT workout.

The Workout

Workout A: Free Weight
Warm up circuit:
1. Pulldowns x20 repetitions.
2. Dumbbell lateral raises x20 reps.
3. Cable upright rows to lower chest x20 repetitions.
4. Hanging leg raises x to failure.
Do prescribed repetitions, moving from one exercise to another without rest. Do 2-3 circuits, whatever you need to have heart rate in desired zone and ready to do work sets.

Workout A: Free weight option
1. Bent over rows with EZ curl bar (palms up): 1 set of 7 repetitions to failure @ 5/5.
2. Standing one arm overhead dumbbell presses: 1 set of 7 repetitions to failure @ 5/5.
3. Dumbbell shrugs: 1 set of 7 repetitions to failure 2/2/2 cadence. (2 seconds to lift, 2 second squeeze at top and 2 seconds to lower).
4. Bench crunches: 3 sets of 5 repetitions. Start in flat position, lower bench each set. 5/5 candence.
5. 3 minute cardio dash.
Workout A: Machine option
1. Reverse grip Pulldown (palms up): 1 x 7 @ 5/5.
2. Seated Machine shoulder press (use neutral (palms facing each other if possible): 1 x 7 @ 5/5.
3. Low cable shrug: same as dumbbell shrugs.
4. Bench crunches.
5. 3 minute cardio dash.

Workout B: Free weight option
1. Slight Incline or Decline Dumbbell Bench Press: 1 x 7 @ 5/5.
2. Squat in Power Rack: 1 x 10 @ 5/5.
3. Hanging leg raises (or Captain's Chair): 1 x failure @ 5/5.
4. 3 minute cardio dash.

Workout B: Machine option
1. Seated Machine Chest Press: 1 x 7 @ 5/5.
2. Leg Press Machine: 1 x 10 @ 5/5.
3. Hanging leg raises (or Captain's Chair): 1 x failure @ 5/5.
4. 3 minute cardio dash.

The Process: You will need to a couple of workouts to get into the groove of performing 1 STRICT CONTROLLED SET TO FAILURE. It isn't easy. Never, never, never sacrifice form. Form is a variable that you will need to keep as consistent as possible to measure gains.
Do a warmup with 50% of your working weight to prepare CNS for what's coming and to gauge readiness of joints, tendons and muscles.

5/5 cadence: This means that you will take 5 seconds to complete the eccentric movement and 5 seconds to complete the concentric movement or the "positive/negative". You won't pause at the top or bottom of the movement unless instructed to do so. Why 5/5 cadence? Glad you asked.
1. You will not hurt yourself. No momentum, no kipping, just control. If you have any issues with a joint or muscle you will notice gradually. Your body will say stop. If you move in ballistic or fast, bouncy motion you will rip and tear before the signal ever gets to your brain. Ouch!
2. King TUT rules! Time Under Tension. This is a proven factor in increasing tendon strength and promoting muscle hypertrophy. You are moving a weight that is 75-85% of your 1RM in a controlled manner for over 70 seconds! One set last over a minute! That is some serious stuff.
3. Each rep becomes a controlled variable to monitor progress...BOOM!

axioma
01-13-2014, 08:38 PM
About 6 months ago I read Tim Ferriss' 4 Hour Body. Unbelievable. The whole concept of MED was preaching to the choir as far as I was concerned. The influence that Dave Palumbo had on Ferriss was pretty big. My biggest surprise: John Romano posted the precontest AAS protocol as a reply to a question I asked before the book was written...COOL! This was back at MD.

axioma
01-13-2014, 08:52 PM
I have been focusing on some areas that Baldie said I needed to work on: traps, pecs, hams and traps.

I deviated from the above workout only regarding chest. I have been doing presses in the smith machine stopping when elbows touched the floor. I started with a workout that was 75% of my 1RM. I progressed 5-10% every workout.
1 set of 8 w/power grip @ 75%
2 sets of 10 w/wide grip @65%
2 sets of 10 w/narrow grip @60%
This has allowed me to lift heavy without stressing shoulder too much.

axioma
01-14-2014, 12:11 PM
mac thanks for being the only guy to drop by and welcome me back. I don't know if I'm supposed to tell everyone what I've been up to or what, the forum doesn't seem to be like that any more. I guess facebook is more about the personal trials and tribulations shared with friends. i will say I owe this forum a debt of gratitude. there were some times that this thread was something VERY important in my life. i hope some of my facebook friends who are recreational and competitive lifters over 40 will give the site a look.

KevinCouch
01-14-2014, 01:49 PM
I would say welcome back but I too haven't posted in my own thread for nearly a year until last week. lol. You have really good conditioning for 212 that's for sure. Glad to hear your business is doing so well.

Your 2x week workout is definitely working for you in your progress as well as keeping you injury free!

axioma
01-14-2014, 02:05 PM
yes i saw you took a pretty long hiatus too. I'm about to go to 4x a week still super low volume though

Mac
01-14-2014, 04:35 PM
mac thanks for being the only guy to drop by and welcome me back. I don't know if I'm supposed to tell everyone what I've been up to or what, the forum doesn't seem to be like that any more. I guess facebook is more about the personal trials and tribulations shared with friends. i will say I owe this forum a debt of gratitude. there were some times that this thread was something VERY important in my life. i hope some of my facebook friends who are recreational and competitive lifters over 40 will give the site a look.

I am sure I am not going to be the only one. It's been really slow here as of late. More guys will pop in as the week goes on.

Glad you're back and do let us know what's going on.

axioma
01-14-2014, 05:55 PM
Cardio is a minimum but I try to make it fun. Riding the North Georgia mountains is a challenge at 215+

Baldiewonkanobi
01-14-2014, 06:23 PM
Good to see you!! Looking great as I would expect. Marijan is around…you two stay in touch?

Baldie

HeavyDutyGuy
01-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Interesting stuff. Good to see you again. Happy New Year!

ayezer
01-14-2014, 07:38 PM
yes tough riding bike at 215+
great workouts good luck training for masters nats this year!!!

Hammerfit
01-14-2014, 07:50 PM
Cardio is a minimum but I try to make it fun. Riding the North Georgia mountains is a challenge at 215+

Is that Jasper? I got a picture that looks just like you! I'll have to find it. Ha they called me the linebacker cyclist

axioma
01-14-2014, 09:39 PM
Good to see you!! Looking great as I would expect. Marijan is around…you two stay in touch?

Baldie

not lately...i keep up with him on facebook. he looks incredible, don't know why he hasnt gotten a pro card.

axioma
01-14-2014, 09:40 PM
Interesting stuff. Good to see you again. Happy New Year!

thanks, i would imagine you would appreciate the "heavy duty" nature of my workouts. I'll post an after soon

axioma
01-14-2014, 09:43 PM
yes tough riding bike at 215+
great workouts good luck training for masters nats this year!!!
NO SIR! not this year. 2015! don't want to get that rumor started lol. i am planning to do some masters show this year though, as a tune-up. i was deer in the lights in 2010. wife and I both competing, first big show...not doing that again.

axioma
01-14-2014, 09:45 PM
Is that Jasper? I got a picture that looks just like you! I'll have to find it. Ha they called me the linebacker cyclist

I've been called worse, lol. that was taken on a big ride near toccoa, ga. tour de tugaloo. lots of fun. you and mrs. should do it with us next year. this was our third year.

ayezer
01-14-2014, 10:13 PM
NO SIR! not this year. 2015! don't want to get that rumor started lol. i am planning to do some masters show this year though, as a tune-up. i was deer in the lights in 2010. wife and I both competing, first big show...not doing that again.

I may be in the same boat was told to wait until 2015 and do a local show maybe later this year.
you posted on my pics above need to get myself back to better condition over next year and then diet down for later this year and then 2015.

axioma
01-15-2014, 07:51 AM
I think the Fat to Fantastic 16 week fantasy dies at 30 lol. I have resolved to deviate less and less from contest shape. I have publicly stated my competitive goals for 2015 and they are pretty extreme: bodybuilding, crossfit, triathlon, 3 gun shooting all in one year lol.

axioma
01-15-2014, 07:54 AM
I am battling sinus issues so it is tough mentally preparing myself for increase in volume/intensity next week. I am also working on some business projects that I hope to wrap up this week. wait until i unveil my training partner. I pray pray pray she will compete as she could go pro in physique or bodybuilding in one year with the right focus.

Mac
01-15-2014, 08:01 AM
I think the Fat to Fantastic 16 week fantasy dies at 30 lol. I have resolved to deviate less and less from contest shape. I have publicly stated my competitive goals for 2015 and they are pretty extreme: bodybuilding, crossfit, triathlon, 3 gun shooting all in one year lol.

Extreme indeed.

No doubt you will do great at all of them. However, my logic would be that you would not excel in any of them because of that extremeness. My body and mind can only take so much. Something would suffer because of the other.

I would try to be my absolute best at just one of them at a time.

Now just don't shoot me.

HeavyDutyGuy
01-15-2014, 11:13 AM
Extreme indeed.

No doubt you will do great at all of them. However, my logic would be that you would not excel in any of them because of that extremeness. My body and mind can only take so much. Something would suffer because of the other.

Now just don't shoot me.
I have to agree with this. However,imagine the fantastic conditioning you would get TRYING it. Good luck on your goals! At least you have some !! Thats half the game.

axioma
01-15-2014, 04:37 PM
Extreme indeed.

Now just don't shoot me.

I agree! My goal is to go all out for masters nationals. 3 gun shooting will be for relaxation. crossfit and triathlon will be AFTER my bodybuilding competitions. I have always believed that there are milestones that determine how you will age the next decade. I want 50 to be legendary for Matt Helton. Look, I am not a wealthy guy so I won't be buying a $100k car or anything. I have an awesome wife so banging a hottie isn't something I have to look for.

Bodybuilding: I think I can get my pro card.
Crossfit: I think I can place well based on what I see the top 50+ guys doing.
Sprint Triathlon: I could do one in my sleep. No delussions of excelling as I will never run a sub 21 minute 5k. I just want to be the guy that the guys who place ahead of me WISHED they looked like lol.
3 gun shooting: shits and giggles.

Curt James
01-15-2014, 11:11 PM

Let the games begin!

Curt James
01-15-2014, 11:12 PM
I am battling sinus issues so it is tough mentally preparing myself for increase in volume/intensity next week. I am also working on some business projects that I hope to wrap up this week. wait until i unveil my training partner. I pray pray pray she will compete as she could go pro in physique or bodybuilding in one year with the right focus.

And get well soon!

Welcome back, good sir.

Curt James
01-15-2014, 11:21 PM
https://www.facebook.com/groups/rxmuscle/

Hope you don't mind the post. ^^^^

Mac
01-16-2014, 06:02 AM
I agree! My goal is to go all out for masters nationals. 3 gun shooting will be for relaxation. crossfit and triathlon will be AFTER my bodybuilding competitions.

Go set those goals. And welcome to the over 50 crowd. I only have a less than two years left before entering the geriatrics division.

axioma
01-16-2014, 08:32 PM
https://www.facebook.com/groups/rxmuscle/

Hope you don't mind the post. ^^^^

thank you sir! may i have another?

axioma
01-16-2014, 08:35 PM
really slacking this week but I think that I am probably subconsciously getting ready for next week. Feeling better and I hope to have house painting wrapped up this weekend.

axioma
01-16-2014, 08:40 PM

I was climbing a hill, downshifted and broke the chain!

HeavyDutyGuy
01-18-2014, 02:46 PM

I was climbing a hill, downshifted and broke the chain!Scary

axioma
01-19-2014, 07:36 PM
ok im getting antsy. im ready to start new phase tomorrow. more focused but i have to keep the intensity dialed back. My joints lack lubrication so i have to bee patient. left shoulder especially is snapping at me...literally.

masterschamp
01-21-2014, 09:05 AM
ok im getting antsy. im ready to start new phase tomorrow. more focused but i have to keep the intensity dialed back. My joints lack lubrication so i have to bee patient. left shoulder especially is snapping at me...literally.

My shoulder "clicks" all through my delt and chest training....I just turn up the volume on my music!

axioma
01-31-2014, 10:24 PM
I have first full week of High Intensity Growth Phase under my belt. Feel like I've been hit by a truck. My weight at the end of the Active Recovery Phase was 217, so just a 5lb gain during my "off season".

axioma
01-31-2014, 10:25 PM
Workout 1:
Decline hammer: 320 x12
Incline dbl press: 105 x12
Slight incline fly: 60x10+2
Concentration curl: 35x10
Straight bar curl: 90x12

Workout 2:
Dbl pullovers
75 x12
Close grip pull downs
175 x8
Dbl rows
110x8
Seated cable row
215x8
Dead lifts
315x8

Workout 3:
Extensions:
230x12
Leg press
1020x12
Hack
460x10
Seated leg curl
190x7
Stiff leg deads
225x10
Toe presses
250x15

Workout 4:
Seated dumbbell press
(Slight incline)
105x6
Laterals
35x8
Bent laterals
35x7
Tri push downs
180x10
Lying extensions
85x12
Overhead dumbbell extensions
110x10

Curt James
02-01-2014, 01:18 AM
I have first full week of High Intensity Growth Phase under my belt. Feel like I've been hit by a truck. My weight at the end of the Active Recovery Phase was 217, so just a 5lb gain during my "off season".

Sounds like you're doing it right. :-D

ayezer
02-01-2014, 03:16 PM
good luck training with all goals
a lot but keep you busy.
bb wise last pic good offseason condition.

axioma
02-03-2014, 10:21 PM
thanks guys been meaning take update pics, shitty weather. Plus i really don't want to shave but zero muscle showing through the yeti carpet on my chest.

HeavyDutyGuy
02-09-2014, 09:25 AM
thanks guys been meaning take update pics, shitty weather. Plus i really don't want to shave but zero muscle showing through the yeti carpet on my chest.
This sounds familiar...

Curt James
02-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Summer needs to arrive NOW! This weather is insane.

Mac
02-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Summer needs to arrive NOW! This weather is insane.

Indeed. another 4" of snow over night.

axioma
02-11-2014, 04:37 PM
snow just let up however we are expecting couple more inches in the morning. I am planning on doing some serious walking tomorrow. I'm feeling pretty beat up right now so I'm not complaining the gym might be closed for two days.

axioma
02-11-2014, 04:43 PM
I feel like I am on track. changing the supplements. increasing protein as comfortably as I can. I'm just not a big eater, especially when adding carbs back to the mix.

Cardio: 10 minute preworkout and 3 minute burst post workout.

going to launch website friday. also offering free compression boots sessions all day.

axioma
02-19-2014, 02:42 PM
www.axiomaperformance.com
mainly for my muscular therapy practice, however I hope to build an informative blog presence. Please check it out. I will offer specials on supplements periodically, not just services.

axioma
02-19-2014, 02:51 PM
Finished "off season" and starting to tighten diet. I will post workout after I have 5 week progression so you can see the way I managed HIT through reps and weight increases but not necessarily both.

My weight in pix is 219. I hope to compete around 205 in June.

axioma
02-19-2014, 02:55 PM
Had fun in the recent snow storm...
This was after snow ball fight (Xiomara won), multiple body slams (I won) and a 3 mile walk/jog/slide through the snow and ice (we tied).

Mac
02-19-2014, 05:00 PM
www.axiomaperformance.com (http://www.axiomaperformance.com)
mainly for my muscular therapy practice, however I hope to build an informative blog presence. Please check it out. I will offer specials on supplements periodically, not just services.

I only see your company name and the background image. No links.

axioma
02-19-2014, 09:58 PM
It crashed right after I posted. Tech guy has it up now. Something about security settings to low...bots(?)...sorry Mac. Thx for trying

Mac
02-19-2014, 09:59 PM
It crashed right after I posted. Tech guy has it up now. Something about security settings to low...bots(?)...sorry Mac. Thx for trying

Looks great Matt. Who is the good looking muscular guy on the front page. :D

Hammerfit
02-20-2014, 07:47 AM
Looking great Mat. Competition plans?

masterschamp
02-20-2014, 09:51 AM
Had fun in the recent snow storm...
This was after snow ball fight (Xiomara won), multiple body slams (I won) and a 3 mile walk/jog/slide through the snow and ice (we tied).

Believe it or not, I actually miss that stuff sometimes,Matt!

axioma
02-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Looks great Matt. Who is the good looking muscular guy on the front page. :D
some stock photo a mostmusculargeezer.com. it is an exclusive though

axioma
02-20-2014, 07:29 PM
Looking great Mat. Competition plans?
Originally planning for 2015 masters nats. but I realized that I cant go there after a three year competition lay off and not be overwhelmed.

I will look for a show in June. probably do an OPEN class as most of the masters categories run 35-49 anyway. If I'm going against a 35 year old may as well go Open.

axioma
02-20-2014, 07:30 PM
The snow was nice, but I would not like to have it part of my daily routine for weeks on end.

bryantone
02-20-2014, 08:19 PM
You have that good lower Lat muscle that alot of guys dont have. And good triceps too.

axioma
02-21-2014, 07:47 PM
thanks, trying to fill in the lats from pit down. I tend to be heavy in the rhomboids and teres, however lats weren't thick. focused on partial deads and heavy rows. I have stayed away from chins right now as it would aggravate shoulder tears. I will wait until 6 weeks out when I am already under 210 to incorporate them again.

axioma
02-21-2014, 07:50 PM
trying to get my bi's up to my tri's lol. I have torn left bicep and always struggled with bi's in general. I don't have the crazy peaked ball that other guys have. Just trying to fill them out.

KevinCouch
02-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Matt,
You've brought you overall width and thickness up in your back. You're pretty lean at 219 too.

mrky03
02-22-2014, 09:00 AM
Wow, you look great! I would love to hear about your training and diet in detail.

axioma
03-02-2014, 06:28 PM
High Intensity Growth Phase

Main purpose is to increase strength in a controlled manner and stimulate some hypertrophy after the maintenance phase. Major muscle groups are worked with 4-5 exercises with one HIT set per exercise.
Who would benefit from this program? Any athlete wanting to increase overall strength without excessive muscle growth and limit possible connective tissue (tendons, ligaments) damage. While strength is a precursor to size, muscular hypertrophy is not the main goal when working with 75-85% 1RM in the 6-12 rep range. Ideally, the training yields the greatest results in the 6-8 rep range, however limiting factors (age, experience, injuries, etc.) must be factored in.

THE WORKOUT

EXERCISES: Exercises were chosen based on my particular needs. I chose to focus more on upper body improvement and lower body maintenance. I needed to thicken lower pecs and lats. I also chose my rep ranges based on areas I wanted to improve (lower reps and high intensity) and areas that I wanted to maintain or limit chance of aggravating injuries (higher reps and/or lower intensity).

WARMUPS SETS: Warmup sets varied between 3-4 sets for main exercises that I would be pushing the most weight and using the highest intensity or 1-2 sets for secondary exercises or even NO WARMUP for small body parts that were thoroughly warmed up after previous exercises.

EXAMPLE:
LEG PRESS: Since my working set would consist of pushing over 1,000 lbs. to failure, I would do 3-4 progressively heavier sets of 10-12 reps, always keeping my focus and energy on that "DO OR DIE" work set.
STRAIGHT BAR CURL: After the previous exercise of dumbbell concentration curls, the bicep is thoroughly pumped. There was nothing more to "warm up" so I would go directly to the WORK SET. All reps are CONTINUOUS, NO LOCKOUT OR PAUSE UNLESS NOTED.

GOALS: The goal was to increase either weight, reps or both workout to workout once the desired reps were achieved. The exceptions were single joint exercises that might suffer damage. You will notice that many of these have higher rep ranges and might remain static for several weeks before moving up. Instead of jumping up to the next dumbbell I would first achieve the desired reps. Then I would add "intensifiers" ( explained in a minute) to add intensity without increasing likelihood of damaging (or further damaging joint in my case) the connective tissue.

INTENSITY: I feel like I should say something about intensity. Everyone does not have the same level of intensity anymore that we have the same pain thresholds. Depending upon the trainees intensity level the term "going to failure" might mean that failure is achieved when there is: a. discomfort b. maximum discomfort or c. you would rather die right there under that bar than surrender that last rep and you continue fighting with every fiber of your being until you cannot move the weight another fraction of an inch. I tend to train in the C range. So when I say my working sets were to failure, I mean they were to FAILURE! That being said "intensifiers" are techniques to take you beyond a particular plateau. Let's say that you just can't get another rep and to increase in weight would be to fail to get even the minimum prescribed reps. You would then add an intensifier to that particular exercise. Now I differ from some gurus who would have you do a prescribed intensifier for every exercise in a workout or entire routine. I feel this is recipe for over training a.k.a. DISASTER. Some intensifiers include: forced reps, partial reps, negative reps and rest/pause reps. I ALWAYS NOTE IN MY LOG WHEN AN INTENSIFIER WAS USED AND FOR HOW MANY REPS!

THE RESULT: This is 6 consecutive weeks.

CHEST/BICEPS
DECLINE HAMMER PRESS:
320 x12
360x8
380x8
380x10+2(forced reps)
400x10
410x10

INCLINE DUMBBELL PRESS:
90X12
100x12( I chose to take this exercise to 90% failure the first two weeks to protect shoulders)
105x10
105x12
110x12
115x12

SLIGHT INCLINE DUMBBELL FLY:
60x10+2
65x10
65x12
70x12
75x8 +2
80x10

DUMBBELL CONCENTRATION CURL:
35x10
40x10
40x10+2 (negatives)
40x11
45x8+2 (forced reps)
45x10+2 (negatives)

BARBELL CURL:
90x12
100x10
100x10+2 (forced reps)
110x10
120x10
120x10 +2 (forced reps) +3 (partial reps)

BACK
SUPINE DUMBBELL PULLOVERS:
75 x12
80x12
80x12
85x10
85x12
90x12

CLOSE GRIP CABLE PULLDOWNS:
(These were done on a Cybex multi-station and plates are greater than 10lbs increments. I also varied grip choice some weeks depending on what my shoulder felt like and also to help break through a plateau while maintaining proper form, NOT PULLING WITH HIP FLEXORS OR LEANING BACK).
14.5 x8
15.5x10
16x6
Pull up with neutral (palm facing grip): I did this because a group of weenies were trying to homestead the multi-station. x12
16x8
16x10

ONE ARM DUMBBELL ROWS W/ KNEE SUPPORTED ON BENCH:
100x12
110x8
110x10
115x10
115x12+3 (Partial reps)
120x10

SEATED CABLE ROW W/WIDE GRIP TO LOWER CHEST:
(Cybex Multi-station)
12x12
14x10
14x12
15x8
15x10
16x8

DEAD LIFTS W/DIAMOND BAR FROM FLOOR:
(I never went 100% to failure on deads)
285X12
315x8
315x12
365x8
405x10
455X10

LEGS
EXTENSIONS:
170X12
190X12
230x12
250x12
One leg extensions: 130x10
250X12 + Partials

HAMMER LEG PRESS:
(Feet mid to low on platform, slightly wider than hip width, CONTINUOUS FULL RANGE MOVEMENT).
850X15
1020x12
1060x9
1090x10
One Leg Presses: 460x10
1180x12

HACK SQUAT:
(this is a 45 degree hack. I prefer 30 degrees and usually put some plates under the platform to lean it back, however these are all steep sets. Foot placement is mid platform, slightly wider than hip and toes pointing forward. I find this puts more tension on outer quad. I would, however, vary foot placement during warmup sets).
315x12
405x10
405x12
460x10
225x20x4 ( I was feeling pretty beat up by Week 5 and needed to rest the joints but still keep up the intensity so I did one legged movements and high reps sets).
460 x15

SEATED LEG CURLS:
150x12
170x10
190x7
190x7 (I did not feel like I was getting a good contraction so the weight was JUST TOO HEAVY).
170x10
170x12

STIFF LEGGED DEAD LIFTS:
185x12
225x10
225x12
225x15
275x12

CALVES: ( I did a different calf exercise each workout and varied between high reps sets of 20 and heavy sets of 12-15) Examples:
STANDING ONE LEG RAISES: sets of 20 bodyweight and sets of 12 w/45lbs plate.
SEATED CALF RAISES: 90lbs. x 20 reps, 135lbs x 12 rep sets.
SEATED CALF PRESS MACHINE: 190 x 3 sets of 12.

SHOULDERS/TRICEPS:
SEATED DUMBBELL PRESS:
90x12
100x10+2 (forced reps)
105x6 (hurt!)
Arnold Presses: 45x12
Arnold 55x10
110x12
DUMBBELL LATERAL RAISES:
25x12
30x10 +2 (forced reps)
30x12
35x8
35x9+3 (forced reps)
35x12
BENT OVER DUMBBELL REAR LATERAL RAISES:
25x12
30x10
30x12
35x7
35x10
40x10
TRICEPS PUSHDOWNS WITH TRIANGLE BAR: (Cybex)
12x8
12x12
14x10
14x12 +2 (forced reps)
15x10 +2 (negatives)
16x10
SUPINE TRICEPS EXTENSIONS W/EZ CURL BAR:
75x10
75x10 + 2 (forced reps)
85x8
85x12
85x12 + 3 (negatives)
95x11
SEATED OVERHEAD DUMBBELL EXTENSIONS:
90x12
100x10
105x10
110x10
110x12
115x10

ABS: I worked abs one day a week, 3 sets to failure.

axioma
03-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Currently doing the 14 Day CKD&W routine. I have changed and tweaked it over the years based on my experience and that of my clients. I'm calling it the 14 Day Metabolic Burst Routine. Regardless of the ketogenic aspects of it, the purpose is to give the metabolism a boost. The essence of the routine is to BURST through fat burning plateaus. I have dropped 4 lbs. in three days, granted some water, however the quality of my physique has already changes. Feeling a bit sluggish as the process of burning fat instead of carbs takes awhile.

axioma
03-13-2014, 04:23 PM
finished gly/dep routine. almost passed out/puked. it was awesome. start carb load tonight through tomorrow.

I turned 49 yesterday. I'll post some pics this weekend.

Curt James
03-13-2014, 09:22 PM
finished gly/dep routine. almost passed out/puked. it was awesome. start carb load tonight through tomorrow.

I turned 49 yesterday. I'll post some pics this weekend.

Happy Birthday, old man! :-) I'll be 52 in August.

What's on the menu for your carb load?

KevinCouch
03-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Happy Birthday Matt. Looking forward to seeing pics.

Hammerfit
03-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Happy Birthday Matt!

axioma
03-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Thanks guys
i actually kept carb load clean
margaritas excepted lol

Currently doing linear periodization workout scheme

HeavyDutyGuy
03-19-2014, 09:37 PM
Thanks guys
i actually kept carb load clean
margaritas excepted lol

Currently doing linear periodization workout scheme
Margaritas are yummy! Watch the Tequila!

axioma
06-22-2014, 01:20 AM
I'll be competing in the SC State Championships 6/28. I had no real intention of competing this year. My plan was to do a dry run of contest prep for Masters Nats 2015 so that i could eliminate as much guesswork as possible. As things progressed I realized that I was on track to compete and State should coincide with my peak. I'll let everyone know how I do.

Mac
06-22-2014, 07:17 AM
Good luck Matt! Look forward to seeing your trophy.

Rick Prince
06-27-2014, 01:24 PM
Good luck Matt!!!

Hammerfit
06-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Knock em dead Mat!

KevinCouch
06-30-2014, 03:08 PM
I sent Matt a message asking how he did this past weekend. He won the overall in the Open class! He said he was 210 and looked better than he ever has.
Congrats Matt! Next stop 2015 Masters Nats...

Hammerfit
07-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Nice job Matt! Followed it on FB. Throw up some contest pics for us old guys to see how it's done!

axioma
07-07-2014, 10:17 PM
I will purchase some photos from patrick collard studios tomorrow and try to post.

Yes I won the SC State Championships. I had a tough heavy weight class to contend with then a light heavy in the pose down. It was a great win. I am the oldest man to win the open at 49. Thanks for all the support and interest. baldie, how you doing?

Mac
07-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Congrats Matt.

mrky03
07-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Awesome!

masterschamp
07-16-2014, 07:48 AM
Congratulations, Matt. A friend of mine, Eric Jones, also competed.

axioma
08-15-2014, 11:19 PM
super heavy big fella

axioma
05-04-2015, 03:20 PM
I'm Baaaaack!

I turned 50 in March. I'm currently training to guest pose at NPC SC State Championships June 20. I'm kicking around the idea of making a run at Masters Nationals as a newly minted 50 year old.

I'll keep posting.

I'll start a training journal in the journal section. I hope I something of value to offer the 40's and 50's guys and gals.

supbro!
05-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Looking forward to this. Need the motivation at 44.

Sunnyday
05-04-2015, 03:45 PM
In this!!

Welcome back! :byeb:

Curt James
05-04-2015, 04:17 PM
I'm Baaaaack!

I turned 50 in March. I'm currently training to guest pose at NPC SC State Championships June 20. I'm kicking around the idea of making a run at Masters Nationals as a newly minted 50 year old.

I'll keep posting.

I'll start a training journal in the journal section. I hope I something of value to offer the 40's and 50's guys and gals.

Welcome back!

Mac
05-04-2015, 06:05 PM
I'm Baaaaack!

I'll keep posting.

It's about time. :D

masterschamp
05-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Welcome back! This place needs to get busy again!

axioma
05-06-2015, 05:16 PM
thanks everyone

going to take awhile to get back into this posting thing. I have used facebook recently for my business, gotten a website, but I'm still pretty tech retarded.

I know I need to update profile, pics, etc.

My practice consists mostly of triathletes, runners and cyclist. This is their competitive season so I'm pretty busy with keeping them healthy.

50? So far it has been a bitch. I remember my dad telling me at 24 that all the injuries I was collecting like they were cool were going to hit me at 50. Dad knows.

My biggest challenge right now is training with 40% strength deficit in left hand. I'm holding size, 212 lbs. Last year at State I was 209. I hope to be 212 at nationals with more separation in quads, more thickness in back and tighter waist.

axioma
05-08-2015, 07:36 PM
i'm continuing to evaluate training with injuries. fine motor skills seem to be improving slightly.

feeling like I'm ready to start it up sunday or monday.

axioma
07-09-2018, 05:13 PM
Hey guys and gals. Anyone from the old days still around?