PDA

View Full Version : Axioma's Journal and Journey to Masters Nationals 2011

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

axioma
01-20-2010, 08:37 AM
You guys have me motivated to take the plunge and start getting focused. Baldie, Bucki, Girly and the rest are setting an awesome example of what Masters is all about!

Background: Been a competitive powerlifter, triathlete and cyclist, however, always been a bodybuilder in my heart and soul. Got the bug 32 years ago and never lost it. I have only competed twice, in the SC State, so I am new to the whole competition side of it, lots to learn from you veterans.

Offseason: 5'9.5", 235 at 16%bf. Lifted heavy, HIT style, no cardio. Did this October through Christmas. Two weeks off, nothing!

Current: What to see what I got and season it. Started back with circuit training and moderate cardio couple times a week. Currently: 219 at 12%bf.

Workout: Currently doing my version of MD's Warrior CKD workout, to which I added my own tweaks and THE original Warrior, Ori Hofmeklers' diet to season the muscle. Again, I tweaked the Warrior Diet to suit my needs based on my metabolism and goals. I will post workout and such if anyone is interested, as I don't want to bore anyone. I look forward to learning and helping where I can on THE best thread: MASTERS, Hoooaaaa!

joedemarco
01-20-2010, 09:33 AM
Glad to have you posting your journal in the Master's section. Welcome!

Baldiewonkanobi
01-20-2010, 02:25 PM
YES...bring that conditioning to Pittsburgh and you will be dangerous :ok:. Some notes....under the Pitt lights you will need MORE COLOR. Also in the Nationals the judges darn near put their pencils down 2-3 min into the first walkout. I visited your profile in here. Yes you did some posedown magic...that will not mean a darn thing in Pitt within your weight class. The line up/turns and first few mandantories usualy means...placings picked. If you win your weight class then on Sat Finals night the posedown does come into play. Use your conditioning and stage presence to win.

Baldie

axioma
01-20-2010, 03:06 PM
YES...bring that conditioning to Pittsburgh and you will be dangerous :ok:. Some notes....under the Pitt lights you will need MORE COLOR. Also in the Nationals the judges darn near put their pencils down 2-3 min into the first walkout. I visited your profile in here. Yes you did some posedown magic...that will not mean a darn thing in Pitt within your weight class. The line up/turns and first few mandantories usualy means...placings picked. If you win your weight class then on Sat Finals night the posedown does come into play. Use your conditioning and stage presence to win.

Baldie

Thank you , thank you! I realized my color blunder immediately. Won't happen again. You are absolutely right about the first few minutes to make an impression. My heart speeds up just thinking about it, family and friends making the trip and it is over before they get comfortable in their seats. I will posting photos of mandatories as it gets closer to get feedback from you guys.

axioma
01-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Jan. 16th: Loaded routine to establish baseline:
Squats 5x6: finished at 405
Rack Pulls (mid shin): 5x5: finished at 500
Bench 5x5: finished at 340

Jan. 17th: 50 minutes treadmill. 3.5mph @ 5.5,7.5,3 ele. HR: 130-140 + abs, calves

Jan. 18th: Chest/Back Giant Sets:
A1: Hammer Press: 295 x 6
A2: 30deg. incline dumbbell presses: 90 x 12
A3: Pec dec fly: 115 x 25
rest 2 minutes and repeat set. No more that 10 seconds between exercises.
B1: Chins: x6 (2 sec. down, 2 up and 2 hold)
B2: Bent Bar Rows: 185 x 12
B3: Close grip pulls: 115 x 25 rinse and repeat.
30 minutes cardio

Jan. 19th: 60 minutes upright bicycle: level 12 @ 90-100 rpm

Jan. 20th: Leg Giant Sets
A1: Squats: (narrow stance, break parallel): 315 x 6
A2: Press: (narrow stance, knees to chest): 630 x 12
A3: Ext's: 130 x 25
Two Giant sets, 2 minutes between
B1: Leg Curls: 140 x 6 (one second pause at top)
B2: Romanian deads: (wider than hips, toes out): 225 x 12
B3: Hypers: x25

buckimscl
01-21-2010, 06:39 AM
Great to have you posting here Ax!!

Mac
01-21-2010, 06:44 AM
Welcome Ax, it's great to have another Master BB competitor.

Pittsburgh was my first place to compete at the Soldier's and Sailors back in '85. I hope to return there again someday soon other than cheer Baldie on to his Master's win.

axioma
01-21-2010, 07:36 AM
Great to have you posting here Ax!!

Thanks Buck! Your journal was got me off my ass and get motivated to contribute to this forum. Thanks for your attention to detail and persistance.

freebirdmac
01-21-2010, 08:03 AM
I"m happy to have another journal to follow and take notes from :)

axioma
01-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Hams are torn up! I got a day behind, so I will do the arm/shoulder giant sets today, off tomorrow and depletion routine on Sat.

Current Supplements:
Optimum Health Nutrition Pro40 Complete (protein blend)
BioRhythm’s ReGenerate and Big Blue and AfterGlow, Adrenalean and Synthrolean
Millennium Sport Technologies MVP-365 (multi vit/min) and ZMK
Applied Nutriceuticals OsteoSport
Species Nutritions Omegalyze
SciFit Kreation powder

axioma
01-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Jan. 21 Arm/Shoulder Giant Sets
30 minutes cardio
A1: Machine Shoulder Press: 200 x 6
A2: Dumbbell Laterals: 30 x 12
A3: Barbell Upright Rows: (wide to forehead) 95 x 25
Rest 2 minutes, Repeat
B1: Close Grip Incline Barbell Press: 205 x 6
B2: Incline lying extensions: 105 x 12
B3: Triceps pushdowns: (v-bar, alt. different workouts) 90 x 25
Rest 2 minutes Repeat
C1: Incline Dumbbell curls: 40 x 6
C2: EZ bar curls: 105 x 12
C3: Alt. hammer dumbbell curls: 25 x 25
Rest/Repeat. All weights are what I finished with. I increase poundage if I complete all reps on first giant set.
Additional supplement: Species Fiberlyze!

Happy with this workout. I tore left biceps brachii tendon two years ago and I JUST started feeling confident a couple months ago!

axioma
01-22-2010, 09:12 AM
JUst cardio today. Left Hamstring has slight pull, went pretty deep on the Rom.dead's. Putting pressure on the nerve, 20 minute spasms. I have Z use some ART (active release therapy) techniques I taught her and that eleviates the pain for several hours. Great not using pharmaceuticals to treat pain!!! just hair of the dog! I will start posting diet. I know it will be a bit controversial. Question for the couple of people who are viewing this: Am I talking to an empty house? Do people really want to learn or is this journal stuff just a social tit/tat between friends? I see where a lot of the entries are "yea baby" answered with " no you" answered with "Hooohaaaa". Let's really start asking questions about the validity and reasons behind what the members are writing and doing. We are the masters for God's sake. I could save a lot of time not doing this. I welcome questions about the efficacy of what I am doing and taking or not taking. This makes me more introspective. And please guys...no bullshit lifts and reps. That is for the kids, we should be beyond all that. I know that I am probably one of the weakest competitive guys here, I am a bodybuilder, doesn't mean shit if the guy I beat out benches me by 150lbs. "World's strongest bodybuilder?" Who cares...really? In fall of 2007 I was a competitive triathlete. In Feb. 2008 I decided to take a challenge and go for a show. I will start posting photos so that members can see what you can do in a short time with proper mental determination and a willingness to endure pain. Supplements? Well the rule of thumb is that if he says he took 500mg, then he took a 1000mg. And the women are even worse about lying about what they really take. I will just say this and those who know me will back this up: since Jan. 2008 I have taken 4 cycles. The shortes was 10 weeks, the longest 16 weeks. The most total milligrams per week was 1,725mg 6-8 weeks from a show. I am currently off everything, not even doing my prescribed HRT. Letting my system clean completely for 12 weeks. This is turning into a rant, I know. The purpose: Look up the meaning of Axiom...I will give it to you straight. I do not have a posse to impress. I will help in any way possible.

Mac
01-22-2010, 09:31 AM
You were on HRT and stopped? I know you said to clean your system, but don't you need it?

I did one AAS cycle, 22 years ago and don't plan on doing another. I dabbled in a couple of PHs two years ago and didn't think it was all that effective, for me.

pirateman2
01-22-2010, 10:42 AM
How old are you?? I am 50 and think that I would go backward if I totally stopped my TRT.

gman
01-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Axiom, I appreciate the rant. I am subscribed and I want to learn.

Baldiewonkanobi
01-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Your new posse is on board....run with it. Got your back.

Baldie

gman
01-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Just to say though, we might joke a lot in our journals, but most of us are dead serious too.

freebirdmac
01-22-2010, 12:45 PM
This lady is reading journals to learn. I've only been at it two years and I have a long way to go. No lying or exaggerating from me either. So your time is appreciated :)

esplendido
01-22-2010, 09:46 PM
About time, buddy! I was just about to drag your ass out and make you get ready for the MN's...

axioma
01-25-2010, 09:29 AM
How old are you?? I am 50 and think that I would go backward if I totally stopped my TRT.

I am 44. I just have to be very smart about it. I am only stopping for 4-6 weeks, however keeping some anti-E's in the mix to maximize free test. Also using some thyroid boosters as well as fat burners to keep system stoked up. If you have been HRT for a long time, I wouldn't recommend it, however since I am competing I want to maximize every androgen receptor I can muster before beginning precontest cycle! I will let the brains figure if there is any validity to this approach. I just keep looking at my weights and reps and gauge my recuperation. The second I start going backwards, I will add 200mg of TE back to the mix, don't worry!

axioma
01-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Axiom, I appreciate the rant. I am subscribed and I want to learn.

Thank you. Great quads BTW.

axioma
01-25-2010, 09:32 AM
This lady is reading journals to learn. I've only been at it two years and I have a long way to go. No lying or exaggerating from me either. So your time is appreciated :)

Right on! I really want to get the Mrs. posting, however she hit a wrong button or deletes something then I got a shoe in my disc drive, so it will be awhile. Glad you are here, the Masters is where it is at, IMO.

axioma
01-25-2010, 09:34 AM
About time, buddy! I was just about to drag your ass out and make you get ready for the MN's...

Thanks, look forward to trading some smokes. I will post something humidor related in the cafe section. Please chime in, because your questions help me learn.

axioma
01-25-2010, 10:17 AM
1/22: moderate pace cardio

1/23: Glycogen Deplete Circuit: Move from exercise to exercise quickly, complete a circuit, rest long enough to stop hacking and spitting and cursing, then do it again.
Squats: 315 x 15
Leg Curls: 160 x 10
Leg exts: 180 x 15
Seated calf: 100 x 20
Bench: 245 x 12
Bar Rows: 185 x 12
Hammer shoulder press: 135 per side x 12
Close grip pull downs: 185 x 15
Incline dumbbell ext's: 40 x 10
ez bar curls: 95 x 10
hypers: x20
rope crunch: 120 x 20 I felt pretty good, as I did the same or better weight than the last time I did this, Oct 08, without looking at weights. I will try to better this the next rotation. Followed this with 20 grams isolate and few sips of Coke.

1/24: 60 minutes cardio, abs giant sets

joedemarco
01-25-2010, 12:28 PM

1/23: Glycogen Deplete Circuit: Move from exercise to exercise quickly, complete a circuit, rest long enough to stop hacking and spitting and cursing, then do it again.
rope crunch: 120 x 20 I felt pretty good, as I did the same or better weight than the last time I did this, Oct 08, without looking at weights. I will try to better this the next rotation. Followed this with 20 grams isolate and few sips of Coke.

How often do you train like this?

GirlyMuscle
01-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Welcome to the master's forums. Even though we talk and joke a lot in our journals, doesn't mean we aren't serious. For most of us, the people here are the only people in our lives who get what we do. We're friends. So there's bound to be more talk than just bodybuilding. That being said, if you wish to keep the chit chat out of your journal, we can do that. I also think that people in the master's section don't bullshit their lifts. We're beyond that one upmanship stuff. We each have different goals and different paths and support each other in them.

Again, welcome, I'm looking forward to following your log.

Sledge
01-25-2010, 05:56 PM

Wow looks like your still training for that triathalon :)
I guess by "Glycogen Deplete Circuit" you only do this occasionally to kick start ketosis?

Sledge
01-25-2010, 06:13 PM
JUst cardio today. Left Hamstring has slight pull, went pretty deep on the Rom.dead's. Putting pressure on the nerve, 20 minute spasms. I have Z use some ART (active release therapy) techniques I taught her and that eleviates the pain for several hours. Great not using pharmaceuticals to treat pain!!! just hair of the dog! I will start posting diet. I know it will be a bit controversial. Question for the couple of people who are viewing this: Am I talking to an empty house? Do people really want to learn or is this journal stuff just a social tit/tat between friends? I see where a lot of the entries are "yea baby" answered with " no you" answered with "Hooohaaaa". Let's really start asking questions about the validity and reasons behind what the members are writing and doing. We are the masters for God's sake. I could save a lot of time not doing this. I welcome questions about the efficacy of what I am doing and taking or not taking. This makes me more introspective. And please guys...no bullshit lifts and reps. That is for the kids, we should be beyond all that. I know that I am probably one of the weakest competitive guys here, I am a bodybuilder, doesn't mean shit if the guy I beat out benches me by 150lbs. "World's strongest bodybuilder?" Who cares...really? In fall of 2007 I was a competitive triathlete. In Feb. 2008 I decided to take a challenge and go for a show. I will start posting photos so that members can see what you can do in a short time with proper mental determination and a willingness to endure pain. Supplements? Well the rule of thumb is that if he says he took 500mg, then he took a 1000mg. And the women are even worse about lying about what they really take. I will just say this and those who know me will back this up: since Jan. 2008 I have taken 4 cycles. The shortes was 10 weeks, the longest 16 weeks. The most total milligrams per week was 1,725mg 6-8 weeks from a show. I am currently off everything, not even doing my prescribed HRT. Letting my system clean completely for 12 weeks. This is turning into a rant, I know. The purpose: Look up the meaning of Axiom...I will give it to you straight. I do not have a posse to impress. I will help in any way possible.

Hahah just saw this. Maybe go back on the HRT or at least try and anti estrogen.:p:)

axioma
01-26-2010, 08:30 AM
How often do you train like this?

I will do three or four (two week cycles) depending on strength and bodyfat loss. I will do this routine twice a year, before an AAS cycle, as I only do two cycles a year.

axioma
01-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Welcome to the master's forums. Even though we talk and joke a lot in our journals, doesn't mean we aren't serious. For most of us, the people here are the only people in our lives who get what we do. We're friends. So there's bound to be more talk than just bodybuilding. That being said, if you wish to keep the chit chat out of your journal, we can do that. I also think that people in the master's section don't bullshit their lifts. We're beyond that one upmanship stuff. We each have different goals and different paths and support each other in them.

Again, welcome, I'm looking forward to following your log.

For the most part, I agree with you, otherwise I wouldn't take the time and energy to post here. You are also right in that a "journal" is going to address more that just the workout/diet, but also the emotional struggles of maintaining a high level of training. Point taken.

axioma
01-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Wow looks like your still training for that triathalon :)
I guess by "Glycogen Deplete Circuit" you only do this occasionally to kick start ketosis?

Actually, I have a sprint triathlete client who is doing this program. He is doing his tri disciplines on the cardio only days. He wanted to maintain a high degree of muscularity.

My mental focus in lean and mean right now, almost getting to a fighting weight and condition. I am doing this workout to really deplete and maximize the ketosis. The second week it leads into a carb load and binge. If I do this right, and don't overtrain, I should go up on my poundages the next rotation. The real gauge will be when I do the loaded routine (rack pulls, squats and bench). If I start to lose reps, then I will take a break from this.

axioma
01-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Hahah just saw this. Maybe go back on the HRT or at least try and anti estrogen.:p:)

I will stay of HRT for a few more weeks, and I am keeping the AE in the mix. I am currently finishing up a cycle of letro, keep hgh (2iu x 4on/1off) and got hcg in the mix.

axioma
01-26-2010, 08:48 AM
1/25: Tension workout: Upper body-all reps are a 4 sec. eccentric/4 sec. concentric cadence. the first time I did this I was shocked at how much I had to lower what I thought I could do for the prescribed reps. No lockouts! Just constant tension and motion.

Bench: 10 reps x 2 sets (235)
Wide grip chins: 12 reps x 2 sets (12, 10)
Incline Hammer Press: 12 reps x 2 (90lbs. each side)
Seated cable row w/medium grip: 12 x 2 (165)
Hi pulley x-overs: 15 x 2 (80)
45degree incline dumbbell shrugs: 15 x 2 (65's)
30 minutes cardio

Mac
01-26-2010, 09:04 AM
1/25: Tension workout: Upper body-all reps are a 4 sec. eccentric/4 sec. concentric cadence. the first time I did this I was shocked at how much I had to lower what I thought I could do for the prescribed reps. No lockouts! Just constant tension and motion.

QFT

I use this technique often and started growing again. The weight isn't the most important factor.

axioma
01-26-2010, 12:44 PM
QFT

I use this technique often and started growing again. The weight isn't the most important factor.

absolutely! can't get into the max game-just don't have the background, joints, genetics of rollers and epherding's. just got to put the best package I can, and hope that my endurance background will give an edge in conditioning.

axioma
01-27-2010, 08:27 AM
1/26 DIET
3 whole eggs and 3 oz tenderloin + coffee (synthro, ecdy, osteo, mvp, adrena) Like to take in red meat on legs days, before and after.
40 grams isolyze + 3 omegalyze + 1TBS organic almond butter
6oz. ground venison w/veggies + 10-15 almonds + red rice yeast (helps keep lipids in balance while on letro.)
2 powercrunch bars (I am weak, weak, I tell you, when it comes to cookies n cream powercrunch bars! I wish I had eaten these instead of Doritos in my formative weed days). + Fiberlyze
Kreation (preworkout) + 20 almonds
AfterGlow (postworkout)
8 oz. ground venison w/veggies + two cups spinach and mustard greens + 1oz. dark chocolate w/sip of Porto.

axioma
01-27-2010, 10:54 AM
1/26: Tension Workout: Lower Body
Leg Press: I like to use the Cybex VR2 Press. This is the only selectorized leg press I have ever liked. It feel smooth and pretty heavy for what is indicated on the stack. I also use it for all of my unilateral pressing. Pick a weight that burns at 10 reps for the 1st set , rest, then go for 20 reps with the same weight the second set. 4 seconds up/ 4 seconds down. 2 sets x 10, 20 @ 350.
Leg Extensions: 15 reps x 2 sets @ 130.
Leg Curls: 15 reps x 2 sets @ 110.
One Leg Low Cable Stiff Legged Deadlifts: I am sure there is a better name for this, but whatever. I grab a low cable handle, I just 50lbs. for this. I stand about 4 feet away, balance on one leg with knee unlocked. I rotate at hip, lowering myself to floor, using other hand to touch. I grab floor with toes, really initiate lift with the glute and stand up. I really feel this in core, however the glute/ham tie-in especially, as well as pumping up the calves. It also strengthens the ankles, knees and hips with the balance aspect of movement. 12 reps x 2 sets @ 50lbs.
No cardio today.
1/27: 60 minutes cardio + abs + calves

axioma
01-28-2010, 06:30 PM
1/28: Glycogen Deplete Circuit: Went to different gym, local Gold's cancelled my contract, more on that later. Different machines really feel different, some a little easier, some kicked my ass! This was the hardest deplete yet. Side stitch, nausea, hell ya!
Smith Squats: (narrow stance, butt to ankles) 315 x 15
Leg Curls: 150 x 10 (cybex vr2, on a decline made it much tougher than lifefitness)
Seated calf: 150 x 20
Cybex Vr2 machine Bench: 290 x 12
Smith Bar Rows: 225 x 12
shoulder press machine: 200 x 12
Close grip pull downs: 190 x 15
Flat dumbbell ext's: 45 x 10 (flat was harder than incline)
ez bar curls: 100 x 10
rope crunch: 160 x 20
I adjusted the second set on everything that seemed easier, to really push myself. I have no idea how these values would equate to your equipment. I am wiped out, knocked over my shake, hands shaking so bad. Feel better now.

axioma
01-28-2010, 06:31 PM
I will start loading some carbs tonight, and really do a carb binge tomorrow. Should be fun.

axioma
01-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Went home last night totally spent. Had half a chicken, mixed greens and half a loaf of FRESH crusty french bread with olive oil! Awesome. Ate eggs and oatmeal this a.m., eggs and toast and jam midmorning. Just ate an avocado turkey burger and a triple prime burger at ruby tuesdays with extra fries and a large blue moon draft. Saving up the REAL eating with the family (daughter coming home with boyfriend) at our favorite pub! They have a bourbon bread pudding that is unbelievable.

Baldiewonkanobi
01-30-2010, 05:16 PM
We should stay in touch as time nears for the Nationals. Last year we had about 8-10 in our RX/BB.com group, 4 on stage. Don't know what the count is this year. Some of our friends still like the atmosphere at BB.com, I can't take it much. Looks like my wife's health will keep her at home in L.A. and my posse will be my youngest daughter (46) who is whacko all things Pittsburgh and a few of the men in here.

Stay focused...in a blink it will be here.

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
01-30-2010, 06:34 PM
I will start loading some carbs tonight, and really do a carb binge tomorrow. Should be fun.

Fun, definitely!

I've done this before (at a coach's suggestion) but I'm not sure of the purpose of it. Is it to re-set your metabolism or something like that?

Baldiewonkanobi
01-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Fun, definitely!

I've done this before (at a coach's suggestion) but I'm not sure of the purpose of it. Is it to re-set your metabolism or something like that?

Google Leptin and Leptin load. Actual science to it.

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
01-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Google Leptin and Leptin load. Actual science to it.

Baldie

Thanks, Baldie. I remember you had mentioned that term before.

I found a couple of good articles by Googling ... I understand now!

DBowden
01-30-2010, 08:36 PM

Bench: 10 reps x 2 sets (235)
Wide grip chins: 12 reps x 2 sets (12, 10)
Incline Hammer Press: 12 reps x 2 (90lbs. each side)
Seated cable row w/medium grip: 12 x 2 (165)
Hi pulley x-overs: 15 x 2 (80)
45degree incline dumbbell shrugs: 15 x 2 (65's)
30 minutes cardio

4/4 cadence.
Great intensity workout.

axioma
02-01-2010, 07:28 AM
Fun, definitely!

Thanks Baldie for the link and info. Yes, ABP, it is to reset metabolism, give it a jolt and fully load the muscles. It also serves another purpose, to learn the effects of carbs on your body. Everyone reacts differently, thus some like to load with rice, some potatoes, some oatmeal, whatever. This is crucial for the competitor. I had a coach suggest loading with rice and I didn't react to it as I would with some grits and toast. It is also a great way to feel human as I has a beer with friends!

sulcop
02-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Nice read! I am also 44, considering the Masters nationals (I'll be in the light weight though, lol) and am using McDonalds UD 2.0 now for preps. I noticed yours is somewhat close and was wondering if this has worked for you in the past? Is this your first time using this style of prep? I have taken the last four years off, and now at 44 resorted to this system because of my age (but I can still beat all my soldiers in the O course) and my higher starting body fat. I am around 15% and in my contest years never got above 9%. Anyway good luck and I'll be following your posts.

axioma
02-01-2010, 03:24 PM
sulcop, are you army? Hoooaaa! I have used this system over the past several years for 3 or 4 two week rotations. I will eventually go back into a HIT type training for 6-8 weeks and then increase volume closer to contest to a traditional 3-4 sets of 10-12. I know this sounds crazy, but my body responds to ALL kinds of protocols, just not all the time, if that makes sense. I can only go really heavy for 6-8 weeks, then I really fill out with the added volume. The current workout is great for keeping your body guessing and the additional cardio kicks starts the metabolism. I will actually cut back on my cardio when I really start "precontest" in a few weeks. this is "exhibition" season I guess.

sulcop
02-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Makes sense. As my training age is over 32 years, I have done it all. I respond best to lower volume higher load work, but alter that all season to keep it guessing. I am currently in the Air Force but spent 4 in the corps and 12 in the Army. My job skill puts me attached to Army units and if they do something then I do it too. Its cool to see the look on there faces when I nail a lad nav course or out shoot them. None know I was prior in both branches. I am currently a SWAT team leader so I have two O courses I do each year. You must be prior service then too?

axioma
02-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Army, 12B, 4th Engineer BN, got out of active in '87. Loved it, unfortunately, huge budget cuts during that period kept motivated soldiers like myself from attending schools and getting patches. They realized (after I got out), that retention was more important than recruitment.

axioma
02-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Feb.2nd: I haven't been slack...well, sort of. My daughter and friend came into town for the weekend so we just relaxed. I ate good, only really pig out was saturday. Skipped the loaded routine, sorry HeavyDuty, I just can't pull the big weight as often. I have been getting some serious pain in the rt extensor carpi and digitorum, pollicis longus, as well as the medial epicondyle of both elbows. I know that cortisone on a regular basis if verbotten, however would the benefits be worth it? Haven't heard for any leaders or mods in awhile, love to have someone chime in.

Feb.1st. chest/back giant sets. workout out in a small gym, dumbbells only up to 75! Not squat rack! Holy horseshit! Made the best of it.
Smith bench to neck: 295 x 6
Incline dumbbell press: 75 x 12 (3 sec down, 1 up cadence)
X-overs: 80 x 25
Repeat
Wide grip pulldowns: 200 x 6 (this was the stack, so held it for a two count)
Bent over bar rows standing on bench: 185 x 12
Close grip pulldowns: 150 x 25
Repeat
Diet: low carb (mostly veggies, with 36 grams of carbolyze coming from postworkout drink)

axioma
02-02-2010, 09:32 AM
We should stay in touch as time nears for the Nationals. Last year we had about 8-10 in our RX/BB.com group, 4 on stage. Don't know what the count is this year. Some of our friends still like the atmosphere at BB.com, I can't take it much. Looks like my wife's health will keep her at home in L.A. and my posse will be my youngest daughter (46) who is whacko all things Pittsburgh and a few of the men in here.

Stay focused...in a blink it will be here.

Baldie

I look forward to it. Never been to Pitt! Big Steeler fan during the Bradshaw days. Got to see Falling Water, hopefully isn't too far away. The vp of biorhythm supplements lives in Pitt and he is a maniac, so it should be good times.

Baldiewonkanobi
02-02-2010, 10:43 AM
The show itself is a big deal....trust me. The hotel is awsome with Bodybuilder food galore, and the setting on the river could not be better. The stage is so so, room itself so so, trophys jucky, warm up room adequate but bring your own bands/bullworker. The show is very well run by Gary and the competitors are amazing and of course...how do you beat that title??

Baldie

joedemarco
02-02-2010, 11:53 AM
The show itself is a big deal....trust me. The hotel is awsome with Bodybuilder food galore, and the setting on the river could not be better. The stage is so so, room itself so so, trophys jucky, warm up room adequate but bring your own bands/bullworker. The show is very well run by Gary and the competitors are amazing and of course...how do you beat that title??

Baldie

I second that Baldie. I thought the hotel, food, and the setting on the river was awesome. I also thought Gary Udit does a good job running the show, considering the amount of competitors that are present. I think the year I competed there were over 300 competitors. I'll see both of you in Pitt this year!

sulcop
02-02-2010, 03:13 PM
My girl is in the 379th Eng and getting ready to deploy. I was a grunt and then went to flight school flew fat iron in 1059th Air Ambulance. And looking forward to the Pitt show. I have heard nothing but good things about Mr Udit. Now for the question, how long is the typical workout for you? I have done workouts like that and am in and out in 30 min or less.

axioma
02-03-2010, 08:27 AM
My girl is in the 379th Eng and getting ready to deploy. I was a grunt and then went to flight school flew fat iron in 1059th Air Ambulance. And looking forward to the Pitt show. I have heard nothing but good things about Mr Udit. Now for the question, how long is the typical workout for you? I have done workouts like that and am in and out in 30 min or less.

The tension workouts are a little longer, as is the gyl/deplete routine (since it requires running all over the gym and making last minute adjustments because some weiner jumped on something), but in general 30 minutes, not counting cardio is the norm. That said, I (and I am sure you do too) get really jacked and ATTACK the shit! The little groups of guys hovering around a machine with their legs propped up are looking and muttering WTF? or they should be if I am doing my job.

axioma
02-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Feb.2nd workout: Still working out in a freakin' closet of a gym. I am working legs and they only have 12 45's in the whole gym! I have taken my arginine, alanine, creatine, whathaveyou and I am getting really antsy. I decide to really pre-exhaust my legs so weight is irrelevant for this workout.
Bike x15minutes
20 rep pre-exhaust sets x 2
Leg press x 405
Hacks x225
Extensions x130
Giant sets
Hacks 6x @415
Press 12x @585
Ext's 25x @130
Repeat
Lying leg curls 6x @160 (hold at top)
stiff leg 12x @145 (top of feet to 3/4 up, moving constantly)
Glute buster 25x @150 (not sure about this one, but wife loves it, so I gave it a try)

Legs had a monster pump! Made the best of the situation. chest/back still sore from monday and legs are watery this a.m. LOVE IT! Diet is still low carb, pro/veggie with 30-50 grams coming from complex carb.
I will go over my supplements later, I know that everyone has their favorites and since I sell certain lines, don't want to look like I am promoting anything. What works for me might not for you, right? I am currently evaluating a newer line, so I will list it, but not ready to say if it is good/great/nada yet. At our stage in the game, we recognize the placebo effect, embrace it, ride it, however we know when it is s**t or get off the pot time and really evaluate it. Thanks for all of your input! As of this a.m. I will no longer post on MD. 'nuff said.

Mac
02-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Great journal. How much arginine do you take?

My favorite pre-workout supps are beta alanine and citrulline malate. They really go a long way to improving recovery and endurance.

AnglicanBeachParty
02-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Feb.2nd workout: Still working out in a freakin' closet of a gym. I am working legs and they only have 12 45's in the whole gym!

Legs had a monster pump! Made the best of the situation.

Cool.

Some of my best workouts have been when I have had to work around some shortcoming of the gym I was at at that moment. It forces me out of my ruts.

axioma
02-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Great journal. How much arginine do you take?

My favorite pre-workout supps are beta alanine and citrulline malate. They really go a long way to improving recovery and endurance.

I take 6-9 grams a day, spread out with 4 grams preworkout. I am taking a 5 grams of alanine, split half pre/half post. I do like the citrulline as well. Have you tried cordyceps? It has been in vogue with cyclist for decades and has just been incorporated into bbing type supps. It is one of the products I am evaluating now. Tremendous recovery potential.

axioma
02-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Cool.

Some of my best workouts have been when I have had to work around some shortcoming of the gym I was at at that moment. It forces me out of my ruts.

are hot rod angelicans akin to "whiskeypelians"?

axioma
02-10-2010, 09:15 AM
It has been awhile since I posted. Nothing major, just lazy. I realized a few things though, those things that us old dogs should know instinctively, however occasionally need a reminder! 1. More is not better : I took a new preworkout drink before my gly/dep workout on the 6th. I REALLY didn’t need it, as I tend to really get amped up before a circuit anyway. The combination of the drink and Rage against the Machine was too much. I bonked. Also, listen to your body: my forearms are really bothering me. I haven’t heard anyone chime in on the cortisone, so I will get it. I just can’t keep training like this and time off is not helping.
Feb. 4th: Arm/Shoulder Giant Sets
30 minutes cardio
A1: Smith Machine Press: 280 x 6
A2: Dumbbell Laterals: 35 x 12
A3: Barbell Front Rows (straight arm): 45 x 25
Rest 2 minutes, Repeat
B1: Close Grip Smith Machine Press: 230 x 6
B2: Standing ez tri extensions: 115 x 12
B3: Triceps pushdowns: (v-bar, alt. different workouts) 100 x 25
Rest 2 minutes Repeat
C1: Incline Dumbbell curls: 40 x 6
C2: EZ bar curls: 115 x 12
C3: Reverse grip low cable curls: 40 x 25
Rest/Repeat. All weights are what I finished with. I increase poundage if I complete all reps on first giant set.
Feb. 5th: Supposed to do cardio, however I did 45 minutes P90X yoga/powerstretch routine instead.
Feb. 6th: GlyDep Routine: Today was the Ragnorak debacle. I only made it through ONE cycle and I was about to have a freakin stroke.
Smith Squats: (narrow stance, butt to ankles) 315 x 15
Leg Curls: 160 x 10 (cybex vr2, on a decline made it much tougher than lifefitness)
Seated calf: 180 x 20
Barbell Flat Bench: 265 x 12
Barbell Rows: 225 x 12
shoulder press machine: 200 x 12
Reverse grip pulldowns: 190 x 15
Flat dumbbell ext's: 45 x 10
ez bar curls: 100 x 10
rope crunch: 160 x 20
I did go up on a few things and did more freeweight exercised than previous deplete. Maybe this contributed to the draining effect. Guys, believe me when I tell you, this was killer.

axioma
02-10-2010, 09:19 AM
I have not worked out since the gly/dep routine. I have done the yoga/stretch thing twice. I am at the end of the routine and feeling drained. My wife and I celebrated our anniversary yesterday, so it was dinner and a movie. I will do the LowerBody Tension workout tonight, give my arms another day of rest!
Going forward: I will get back on HRT this weekend. For the next two weeks I will do only cardio and the gly/dep workout twice a week. I will post photos on the first of march, as that will start my precontest training.

Mac
02-10-2010, 02:54 PM
I wondered where you disappeared to.

Congrats on your anniversary. I will be following your contest prep and will be in Pittsburgh to watch the show and maybe next year, try my luck in that show.

AnglicanBeachParty
02-10-2010, 03:08 PM
I just now saw this message ...

are hot rod angelicans akin to "whiskeypelians"?

I guess it's something like that ... LOL.

Mac
02-10-2010, 06:32 PM
I tried to reply to your PM, but it doesn't look like it went thru and I don't know why as I do that often without any problems.

axioma
02-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Got the PM, gracias. I'm still here, just dealing with those things that Masters have to, work, family and getting old. I have a 22 year old phenom I am helping prep for SC state show. The guy has no girlfriend (doesn't want complications with training) and lives at home (more money towards supps). The kid is living the bbing lifestyle, god bless him! Cortisone did not help, didn't hit the tendon deep enough, so have to get it again!

Mac
02-11-2010, 09:53 AM
OK on the PMs. They didn't show in my outbox. Good luck with the shot.

HeavyDutyGuy
02-11-2010, 09:00 PM
I like the workout. Looks like you can really bring it! This masters division is progressively more intense. A lot of people not playing ... serious business! And wait you're supposed to be ON HRT for your anniversary, not off??

axioma
02-12-2010, 11:12 AM
I like the workout. Looks like you can really bring it! This masters division is progressively more intense. A lot of people not playing ... serious business! And wait you're supposed to be ON HRT for your anniversary, not off??

I'm doing some OTC stuff:yep:...not worries baby! Some:flowers: and some:hmn:and it was on... :nbanana:

As far as workouts, I will getting back on the HRT, feeling really drained and a little down because of the tendonitis. Hey, man up, right? Thanks for stopping by.

Baldiewonkanobi
02-12-2010, 12:28 PM

Ax...James and I were at the Nationals 2009. He on stage and me in audience. Masters, even at the National level, use to be in the 80s and 90s a Gentlemens Club atmosphere. No longer. It was brutal. I loved it. Sure captured me. As James says...its serious, no playing. If you have a bottle of Super Secret Formula Framadama...take it!. They are, X 2. However, at the end of the day it was the first 30 seconds of the first line up and conditioning that ruled the day....conditioned they were.
I love this show, crappy trophys and all. Its the athletes....dayum they are ON. Match up your Avitar and you will have a GREAT show.

Baldie

OLDSCHOOL51
02-14-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm getting more focused and thinking of the Masters this year.I have wanted to do it but the desire needed just was not there and you can't fake it in this sport,it shows on stage if you slack.I have it now for some reasoon and i will try it. Ilove the desire,motovation and true love of this great sport/Lifestyle shown in this section. I have no set routines or anything it's all instinct. Ilove the workouts posted and will try one or two out. Good Luck and GOOD HEALTH to all my fellow Masters.

axioma
02-15-2010, 08:03 AM
I'm getting more focused and thinking of the Masters this year.I have wanted to do it but the desire needed just was not there and you can't fake it in this sport,it shows on stage if you slack.I have it now for some reasoon and i will try it. Ilove the desire,motovation and true love of this great sport/Lifestyle shown in this section. I have no set routines or anything it's all instinct. Ilove the workouts posted and will try one or two out. Good Luck and GOOD HEALTH to all my fellow Masters.

I look forward to seeing all of you guys and gals. I used most of last week to recup and recover. I did a pretty brutal circuit on friday, snowed in on sat. and cardio on sunday consisted on taking our beasts for a 3 mile walk (very hilly, very fast) and cut down some trees and dragged them mulestyle 1000 yards to the burn pile. I am back to bodypart workouts, looking forward to getting back in the saddle. Arm is better.

Mac
02-15-2010, 08:07 AM
I look forward to meeting up with you and all the RX Masters in Columbus and Pittsburgh. Glad to hear your arm is better. Now just fix my shoulder so I can train hard!

axioma
02-15-2010, 12:03 PM
I look forward to meeting up with you and all the RX Masters in Columbus and Pittsburgh. Glad to hear your arm is better. Now just fix my shoulder so I can train hard!

Dude! Your avatars are getting freakier and freakier. If that is recent, then there is NO reason you shouldn't hit Pitt.

2/15 Getting back into bodypart training, felt good, nothing crazy.
exts: warmups x 3
Hacks: feet close, toes out, deep as it goes: 405 x 12 x 3
One leg press on cybex: 230 x 15 x 3
Exts: 180 x 10 x 3
Stiff legged deadlifts from floor: 225 x 15 x 3
Leg curls: 130 x 10 x 3
Sissy squats: w/bar x 20 x 3
Came back to office, had my AFterGlow! Life is good.

Mac
02-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Dude! Your avatars are getting freakier and freakier. If that is recent, then there is NO reason you shouldn't hit Pitt.

Freaky, eh? is that in a good way?

My avatars are from Nov 2008 at my best condition. I took a lot of pics during my mock contest prep for my 52nd birthday. I was then was going in the NPC Ky show in november 2008 but had no support to go with me 700 miles to the contest.

With the economy sucking in 2009 and being self-employed, I concentrated more on trying to make $$$ than bodybuilding.

I should be better this year, by the end of the summer. I am not too far out at the moment, maybe 10-12% BF. Plan on losing it very slowly while gaining back some muscle, mostly in my legs.

Baldiewonkanobi
02-15-2010, 01:04 PM
[quote=axioma;870280]Dude! Your avatars are getting freakier and freakier. If that is recent, then there is NO reason you shouldn't hit Pitt.

Just asked him the same thing in his thread....

Baldie

axioma
02-15-2010, 02:57 PM
[quote=axioma;870280]Dude! Your avatars are getting freakier and freakier. If that is recent, then there is NO reason you shouldn't hit Pitt.

Just asked him the same thing in his thread....

Baldie

I don't get that kind of detail until 4 weeks out!

axioma
02-16-2010, 02:19 PM
2/16 Chest (moving into a DC HIT style, need to build up the mental focus, so just doing straight sets)
30deg Incline Smith: I will figure actual weight, as machine is counterbalanced: 290 x 6 x 3sets
Flat Fly: 65 x 10 x 3
Incline alternating dumbbell press: Keep one db in air while pressing the other, then rotate, 5 reps ea. arm x 3 sets before stopping. total of 3 sets or 45 reps ea. arm w/ 75lbs.
Pec dec: 80lbs. x 10reps x7 sets.
Bodyweight dips: 15 (4sec up/down) x 3sets. (did this to really stretch the fascia)

axioma
02-18-2010, 02:14 PM
2/18: Back. pulled something, mid-back, feels like a knife. Got Xiomara to put an elbow in it, but no luck..will have to ride it out. This was before working back today. Almost feels like a rib. I would finish a set and cough.
Wide-grip pulldowns: warmups: 125 x 20 x 2
Reverse grip barbell rows: 225 x 10 x 3
one arm high cable pulldowns (sitting sidesaddle): 80 x 15 x 3
One arm low cable rows: 120 x 10 x 3
Smith deadlifts with shrugs: (this was actually harder than in a power rack, as the smith machine keeps you locked, didn't really like it, might have just been because of back pain) 415 x 15 (with 10 shrugs on last rep) x 3 + drop set
Straight arm pulldowns: 120 x 15 x 3
Deep stretching

axioma
02-18-2010, 02:15 PM
I will post some photos to kick off the precontest. I am reluctant in that photos do not lie, you really see how far you have to go...gotta do it though.

Mac
02-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Yes Ax, you got to do it! It keeps you on track, I think.

gman
02-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Pics are a necessary evil!

axioma
02-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Just getting it done right now. Nothing special to record. Spent the weekend outside, cutting trees. I spent half a day 20' up an oak tree sawing dead limbs. I played it smart as my knees and lower back were tweaked, so I did one legged workout, presses, lunges, etc. yesterday. Will do chest today. Trying to get some things done before putting it in high gear mar.1st. Really sorry that I won't be able to make it to the Arnold, just not in the cards. Best of luck to all of you!

axioma
02-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Had a pretty decent workout today:
Bench: 225 x 15, 275 x 10, 295 x 8 x 2, 225 x 22
Incline Fly: 60 x 12 x 3
Machine press seat set low (cybex vr2, so I would press and bring handles together at same time) 150 x 10 x 4
x-overs: 80 x 10 x 7
Seated alt. dumbbell curls: 50 x 12 x 3
one arm preacher curl w/low cable: 40 x 10 x 3
reverse grip curl: 45lb bar x 25 x 3
abs, calves

anybody ever dealt with layne norton? Is the guy a f***in prima donna? Maybe it is just me? Yea, it's just me

Mac
02-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Glad to see you're back, again.

What's up with Layne?

axioma
02-23-2010, 04:26 PM
asked him a question concerning a potential client. He blew it off and the previous question from someone else and got into a tit/tat private convo with a frequent poster. A day later I asked him if that was his modus operandi and he went off on a rant about how bad his life is and the pressure, OH the pressure of being him and people, especially assholes like myself, do not understand....blah, blah.... PH, slin, gh and igf = str8flexed, imho.

Mac
02-23-2010, 04:40 PM
oh, so it's tough to continue the lie about being natural?

axioma
02-24-2010, 08:39 AM
oh, so it's tough to continue the lie about being natural?

When you have built a cottage industry around that...fib:confused:, then yea, KEEP it up;)

axioma
03-01-2010, 11:01 AM
March 1st: Been awhile, I know...you guys haven't even noticed, getting ready for your Arnold debauchery!!! I have legs today, similiar situation as last week. I drove 500 miles over the weekend, moved heavy equipment of my dad's, helping Mom get house ready for sale. I feel pretty good, but will need to be mindfull of all the sitting and heavy lifting. I hope to get these things out of the way in the next week, so I can really start concentrating on Masters. Question: How do you compete against a Rodney Roller? The guy is superjacked midget! He is the returning champ, he is really a pro already, with the MD exposure and endorsements! I am a little disillusioned about the amateurs who are really pro!

Baldiewonkanobi
03-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Rodney comes in 50% of the time with a Mountain Gorilla belly and enough floppy doodle gyno to fill a training bra. Come in like your Avitar and have a great time.

Baldie

axioma
03-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Rodney comes in 50% of the time with a Mountain Gorilla belly and enough floppy doodle gyno to fill a training bra. Come in like your Avitar and have a great time.

Baldie

ROFL!!! Yes SIR! I needed that....f**K yea!

Mac
03-01-2010, 11:33 AM
This guy looks like a fuckin mess if you ask me.

I have never seen him with gyno but his symmetry is way off.

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/images/stories/News/rodney-roller-poland.png

gman
03-01-2010, 11:48 AM
wow, his left shoulder and arm are way off from the right one. Damn, just noticed his pecs are the same way.

Baldiewonkanobi
03-01-2010, 01:00 PM
And they photo shopped the little titties away. :p

Baldie

Baldiewonkanobi
03-01-2010, 01:02 PM
YouTube- Rodney Roller

Most likely he is one great guy. He shares our passion. Just trying to view as a judge.

Baldie

gman
03-01-2010, 01:06 PM
he does have some pointy ones, doesn't he?

gman
03-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Axioma, be careful doing legs today...sounds like you had a strenuous weekend!

Mac
03-01-2010, 03:21 PM
he does have some pointy ones, doesn't he?

Oh my, that's a terrible case of gyno and GH gut. When he flexes his pecs, his chest where the gyno is doesn't move at all. This shows how bad it really is. Look on the right side.

axioma
03-02-2010, 09:01 AM
This guy looks like a fuckin mess if you ask me.

I have never seen him with gyno but his symmetry is way off.

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/images/stories/News/rodney-roller-poland.png

I know what you are saying. I agree, mass with ...well, nothing! But he has set the precedent of being the heavyweight champ! Not easy to dethrone 'em! Hell, what am I bitchin' about? No one said it would be easy...this is WAR!

axioma
03-02-2010, 09:14 AM
YouTube- Rodney Roller (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3LCBkCjgWw)

Most likely he is one great guy. He shares our passion. Just trying to view as a judge.

Baldie

I'm with you, he is passionate. He is, however, the man to knock off! It gives me fire to try to upset this trend of rewarding niche bodybuilders. The "strongest bodybuilder" is a marketing tool, albeit, it has gotten him dollars. However, does he represent the total package that I am working towards and have envisioned since I was 12? Whether it is me or anyone, I want to see the embodiment of masculine beauty, lines, shape, symmetry, mass and conditioning rewarded at the overall. Hey, that's what makes this sport so frustrating. Once a new standard has been set (gh guts, blocky physiques and panting posers) then it takes a long time for that pendulum to swing back. Are the judges awarding what the supplement companies are looking for? Is their demographic more likely to be impressed by Ruhl than Labrada? I think the 202's and maybe Cedric will help change this...this is now a rant...sorry. I really appreciate the feeling of consensus on this forum of what this should be about.

Baldiewonkanobi
03-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Did you know that your Avitar spelled backwards is....Bob Paris?

Baldie

Mac
03-02-2010, 11:14 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Baldiewonkanobi again.

Need to get that 666 out of your reps count. I know you're a beast Baldie but that's the wrong kind.

Ax, forget about Rodney and compete against yourself.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Hey, that's what makes this sport so frustrating. Once a new standard has been set (gh guts, blocky physiques and panting posers) then it takes a long time for that pendulum to swing back. Are the judges awarding what the supplement companies are looking for? Is their demographic more likely to be impressed by Ruhl than Labrada? I think the 202's and maybe Cedric will help change this...this is now a rant...sorry. I really appreciate the feeling of consensus on this forum of what this should be about.

It's a good rant, though! I think the 202 class is more fun to watch, actually.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-02-2010, 11:50 AM
YouTube- Rodney Roller (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3LCBkCjgWw)

Wow ... that's embarrassing.

Do you know if he was competing here, or guest posing?

axioma
03-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Did you know that your Avitar spelled backwards is....Bob Paris?

Baldie

6669? No wonder you are immortal...your Faustian pact....

Baldiewonkanobi
03-02-2010, 02:49 PM
I didn't know I had a soul to bargain with....

axioma
03-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Steve Reeves as he would look today! I know I don't have the structure, but that is what I am going for...that kind of genetically engineered master race look. Not cartoon, just super athleticism...uber...uber...

Baldiewonkanobi
03-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Steve was my first trainer at Goodrich's Gym. Steve was an awsome man but did not blow you away in person. Side by side Paris would easily take him. I was prepping Renel Janvier backstage for the '91 Ironman and Paris owned that room.

Baldie

axioma
03-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Yesterdays workout: chest (HIT w/volume at end)
incline dbl fly: 55 x 12 +2FR
Incline bench: 245 x 10 +2RP
Vertical bench press machine: 230 x 12 + dropx3
x-overs: 80 x 10 x 7

Today off.

bodyhard
03-03-2010, 09:50 AM
How old are you ;)

axioma
03-03-2010, 06:25 PM
45 on 3/12.

bodyhard
03-03-2010, 08:26 PM
45 on 3/12.

Damn you are an old fuck! :D

axioma
03-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Yes and with piss and vinager to spare!

Baldiewonkanobi
03-04-2010, 10:27 AM
45 on 3/12.

:sad: 45 :sad:

I think I was 45 once. Yeah, had to have been. Can't really remember. Chit my son is 50. He went thru male menopause about 2 years ago and now complains about his prostate and getting up to pee several times at night. Poor old fucker.

Baldie

axioma
03-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Hell, I know you are told this all the time...cliche...you motivate me. I can't wait to sit down post contest over a beer and hear some stories.
One of my great memories is sitting in former Mr. Universe Richard Baldwin's gym listening to him talk to Frank Zane and Bob Birdsong on the phone. I remember thinking how awesome birdsong looked, used to blah, blah about him and one day Richard say's, "want to talk to him, got 'em on the phone, here chipmunk.." I blurt "Hey, Bob, I'm a big fan...." and this voice like Mike Tyson only an octave higher responds "wow, gee, that is great.." Richard said the look on my face was priceless!

Baldiewonkanobi
03-04-2010, 12:53 PM
That thing where voices don't match with the body kills me. Victor Richards is another one. He and I were going over a possible business relationship regarding doing Corporate motivational speaking (never panned out). He too sounds like Mike Tyson but with a British lilt. Terrible funny.

Oh my beer....Becklers. I know, queer beer, but it tastes good. We will do that in Pitt for sure. Gonna be a great gang there. I am doing free T shirts for all....RX MASTERS FORUM. Will contact everyone in June for sizes.

Baldie

gman
03-04-2010, 02:08 PM
I would love to meet Richard Baldwin...I remember looking at pics of him and thinking how I would like to get that lean and he is about my height.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w294/namtrag/Richar2.gif

axioma
03-04-2010, 02:27 PM
thank you, thank you for posting that on my thread!!!!! That was mid-70's edition. He was absolutely a thing of freakin beauty at the 79 Universe going against Bannout, Ray Mentzer and I really feel that Richard should have beaten Duvall. Baldie or one of you historians could correct me, but Ben Weider was really kissing alot of european ass and wanted to entrench the IFBB as a major player across the pond. If you look at Jorma Raty who beat Richard in '80, that guy was a mismatch freak of bodyparts beating a guy who Ironman has called one of the true Adonis physiques! It really took the wind out of Richards sails as far as competition. I hit that exact pose!

gman
03-04-2010, 02:35 PM
I discovered him by looking at this site. Incredible physique on him, and I went to his website and he still looks damn awesome!

http://www.classicbodybuilders.com/richardbaldwin.html

Mac
03-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Jorma Raty had huge biceps and lats, but his symmetry was f'd up. His chest was small and his back was huge.

Baldiewonkanobi
03-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Richard comes on to chat from time to time over at IronAge forums. That is an Old School, corney, old fashioned values, no cursing site. Tons and tons of history for you buffs. Log in and 'search' Richard Baldwin and you will find his posts. PM him and say hello.

Baldie

axioma
03-04-2010, 06:14 PM
I discovered him by looking at this site. Incredible physique on him, and I went to his website and he still looks damn awesome!

http://www.classicbodybuilders.com/richardbaldwin.html

still trying to get him to come and spend the weekend. he is a professor at gulf coast community college and doesn't like to travel much. I will go see him after the masters. he is 60+, hips replaced and was back in the gym in a couple of weeks. What's cool is that HE still has some growing to do when you look at baldie and oldsuperman! Love it!

axioma
03-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Jorma Raty had huge biceps and lats, but his symmetry was f'd up. His chest was small and his back was huge.

You forgot bowlegged as hell!

axioma
03-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Richard comes on to chat from time to time over at IronAge forums. That is an Old School, corney, old fashioned values, no cursing site. Tons and tons of history for you buffs. Log in and 'search' Richard Baldwin and you will find his posts. PM him and say hello.

Baldie

I will call him tomorrow. Been awhile since we have talked, thanks.

Mac
03-04-2010, 06:29 PM
You forgot bowlegged as hell!

Oddly enough in the video I extracted that photo from they did not even show his legs!

Baldiewonkanobi
03-05-2010, 11:37 AM
I love this Avitar. Nationals judges like conditioning conditioning conditioning and back shots.

Baldie

axioma
03-08-2010, 08:26 AM
thanks baldie, i will update the journal in earnest this p.m. been trying to take care of mom's business since dad passed, getting kind of hectic.

Mac
03-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Hey Ax, your avi looks great.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Stay strong brother.

axioma
03-08-2010, 08:35 AM
thanks mac, the avi was two weeks before state show last june. nothing close to resembling that right now,though. I appreciate it, mom will come and live with us for awhile, till she figures out what she wants to do and where. been wallowing in self-pity bout the fact that xiomara and i can't spend all weekend butt naked, which we have been doing since our daughter went to college year ago. We will get all of her stuff stored and packed within the next couple of weeks, then I can get down to business. not taking the time to write out workouts right now, just getting them done.

Mac
03-08-2010, 08:42 AM
been wallowing in self-pity bout the fact that xiomara and i can't spend all weekend butt naked,

Oh know, testosterone drop. And to think I complain if I miss a night of it.

It's a good thing god made doors so you'll have some nekid time.

axioma
03-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Oh know, testosterone drop. And to think I complain if I miss a night of it.

It's a good thing god made doors so you'll have some nekid time.

AAAAAAAmen

axioma
03-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Still here! I have been going through the workout I wrote Xiomara, making sure she is comfortable with everything. Tues. we did a chest/back routine, alternating a bodypart each exercise. You don't get quite the pump as a superset, however the muscle recovers nicely so you hit harder next go round.

2 or 3 warmup sets prior to workset:
Slight incline fly: 60 x 10
Chins: 3 sets of 12
Decline Bench: 365 x 6
Underhand Hi Hammer Pull: hold the bottom 1 sec squeeze- 3 plates x 8
Incline Hammer Press: 3plates x 10
Seated Cable Rows: 260 x 8
X-overs: 3 x 10 @ 80
Scapular Rotations: (courtesy of Lou Degni, courtesy of Larry Scott, courtesy of Richard Baldwin) 3 sets to failure

Just trying to get some normalcy, wife is having a procedure this weekend, then down to GA to move Mom in with us. Hope it is a smooth transition.

esplendido
03-10-2010, 01:47 PM
I love this Avitar. Nationals judges like conditioning conditioning conditioning and back shots.

Baldie

Exactly what I thought....but the Masters Nationals is a different show. They will nod at the guy with size and hardness even if he looks smooth compared to the guy ultra ripped but a little smaller....unless he is Zane-like.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-10-2010, 04:16 PM
MAx AND AX both have very nice conditioning in those AVIs- great stuff guys! If I can get that as a 50+ 245 lbs+ super... will be fun.. thanks for the light on the path!

axioma
03-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Exactly what I thought....but the Masters Nationals is a different show. They will nod at the guy with size and hardness even if he looks smooth compared to the guy ultra ripped but a little smaller....unless he is Zane-like.
Thank you for the insight! That is what I am worried about, the trend to reward mass for the sake of mass. Roller (and others) do not have lines or proportion, just mass. Hopefully, I can make an impression to warrant the work and sacrifice, as do we all. We have to stay true to what we idealize and hope the judging shifts that way!

axioma
03-11-2010, 07:59 AM
I have been reading Baldie's Last Man Standing thread. I cannot get enough of the stories and am inspired by what I read. I told him I was thinking about writing some of what brought me to the "here and now" and he said go for it. I was going to start a new thread, however the line in Esplendido's signoff: "if you aren't living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space" made me realize that I should just use what I have and build within this space. I'm afraid that I suffer from a very American affliction...sprawl. Probably the mythology of "Go West" and "wide open spaces". Unfortunately, I am not tidy enough to warrant that freedom, so this is home. I am not writting because I know more or have accomplished more. I am writing because you are my peers and I think our journeys have much in common.

axioma
03-11-2010, 08:12 AM
I am preparing for the Masters Nationals in 2010, as you guys know. I don’t know if I am being realistic in this endeavor, as I am new to competition, having competed only twice. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?
I have posted on various forums for several years now and have benefitted greatly from the information and advice. I decided to give something back. That may sound a bit conceited to some of the members with a zillion posts and Mafioso reputations, however I have accomplished a good bit in a relatively short time (I won the SC State Masters and Light Heavy Open in my second competition) and have not sacrificed my health or my relationships in the process.
What I have to offer is simple: I am a 44 year old(45 tomorrow) blue collar guy with a wife and a daughter in college. I am fortunate in that my wife shares my passions, whether we were competing in triathlons together or a bodybuilding competition. Bodybuilding is our passion and luxury now. We both work for a living, I have been a massage therapist for 20 years and the carpal tunnel makes it a challenge to get through each day. We don’t have trust funds, inheritance or stocks to depend on. In short, we are like many of you out there.
I have suffered many of the injuries that guys and gals our age who are weekend warriors or competitive athletes have endured. Ruptured discs, torn tendons, torn sternum, hernias and good old arthritis, got ‘em, deal with ‘em and drive on. I don’t take pain killers and use nsaids sparingly. I have taught my wife some neuromuscular and trigger point work to deactivate pain receptors long enough to get through a workout or get some rest.
How did I get into competing? In 2006 I was a competitive triathlete, sprint distance in particular. I opened a fitness club in May, used my own money, and to any of you out there who have either owned your own business or a gym in particular, you have ZERO time to work out. I was working 80-90 hours a week, 6 or 7 days a week and rapidly turning to shit! I felt awfull. In November of ’07 I was listening to a couple of members whining about not being able to lose their guts at their advanced ages of 33 and 37! They never altered their diets, workouts or did cardio. I made them a challenge. I told them I would get as disgustingly fat as I possibly could in the next several months and then I would get in shape in January. Oh, I succeeded only too well. My wife even named my belly: Papooz! It was an awesome belly! I really didn’t want to let it go when January rolled around.
As most of you know, bodybuilders are innately masochistic. That said, I wanted to make my transformation even more of a challenge and told everyone I would enter the South Carolina State Bodybuilding Championships in June! What the hell was I thinking? I remember asking my wife if I was crazy. “Oh course you are, daaarling!” (She is Honduran/Bulgarian and has the Zsa Zsa thing going on..). Alrighty, then. I began in my prep in February at a very soft 215 (28%BF) and stood on stage 12 weeks later at a respectable 194 lbs. I placed second in the Masters and second in the Light Heavy in the Open to the same guy. I was completely wiped out, exhausted, but elated. I remember at some point after the show my wife hugging me and saying, “Oh sweetheart, I am going to do this with you next year!” I didn't really know what that meant, but I found out soon enough.

axioma
03-11-2010, 08:12 AM
I going to read how to post pictures, because they are worth a zillion words...

Mac
03-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks for sharing Ax. This is the kind of reading I like. Inspiring words.

axioma
03-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Thanks for sharing Ax. This is the kind of reading I like. Inspiring words.
I just want to let you and everyone who takes the time to read my journal that it is never taken for granted. I am honored by every comment and every view. This is a great forum.

gman
03-11-2010, 10:10 AM
I going to read how to post pictures, because they are worth a zillion words...

use photobucket and upload pics to it.

Then click the code that has file name and copy it

paste in your journal

voila

Mac
03-11-2010, 10:29 AM
You can also upload files directly to RX. You don't need to use Photobucket.

axioma
03-11-2010, 01:40 PM
You can also upload files directly to RX. You don't need to use Photobucket.
I'm a dinosaur, be gentle.

axioma
03-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Diet update: Been eating pretty well, about to eat 7oz. ground venison sauteed with Rotel diced tomatoes, chilies and garlic and a butternut squash. Just trying to get all of Xiomara's stuff squared away. I have gotten Leigh and Colette to help with her prep, I am putting it all together now, doing a menu. I just feel the fewer factors the better. I also have to guys I am prepping for the State show and have to finish up some stuff for them. Hopefully, after the weekend I will be able to officially start prep. I don't want to sound like a druggie, however I have been off everything for 3 months. I am ready for that first shot of test!!!!

axioma
03-11-2010, 01:55 PM
trying to upload here.

axioma
03-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Cool, I did it!!!Ha! okay, that is last june, so I will get some current stuff and, and....OMG it's like Christmas! Rooney and Garland....some costumes in the attic and...sorry, butternut squash talking here.

gman
03-11-2010, 02:01 PM
looking damn impressive....what is your height and weight again? Especially in that pic,would love to know how much you weighed.

blu2xtreme
03-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Very nice ...pics are great:)

Mac
03-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Wow Ax, very impressive.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-11-2010, 02:45 PM
That pic is great! I look forward to seeing more ...

axioma
03-11-2010, 03:31 PM
looking damn impressive....what is your height and weight again? Especially in that pic,would love to know how much you weighed.

thanks for the comments. I am 5'10" and weighed 206 in that photo. I currently weigh 215. I am going to start digging through the drawers and see what I come with on old photos. I think you guys will get a laugh. When I started training for a contest in '08, RazorRipped said "an ethiopian has more muscle than you" and "you don't have much to show for saying you have been into bodybuilding for 20 years"! It lit a fire, folks! I mean I had never juiced and was a triathlete! I know how much I get fired up when I see photos of you guys! O.K. off to help the missus! You guys have a great weekend if we don't talk before Monday!

Mac
03-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Hey AX

Happy Birthday OLD MAN

Baldiewonkanobi
03-12-2010, 09:11 AM
:jump::hbd::jump:

(the younger set sure loves birthdays)

Baldie

gman
03-12-2010, 09:30 AM
how old is old, Ax?

You look pretty good for an old guy

axioma
03-12-2010, 10:42 PM
guys, thanks so much for the birthday wishes! You think when you have enough that kind of thing won't mean as much, but it really does! had a great day with Xiomara, heather and her boyfriend Adam. Ready to post some current photos Monday and commence training with a vengeance. Thanks and g'nite bros.

V-Man
03-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Whatever his age, nothing can top that physique.

Train hard.

axioma
03-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Hey, V-Man, welcome back! Hope to start hearing more about your comeback.
Had a great birthday weekend...the unwritten rule in our family is that if your b-day falls on fri, sat, or sun. then you get the whole weekend to celebrate. I think it is celtic or something...who knows, anyway works for us!
Thank you for all the birthday wishes, really feels great. I started back on HRT dose, 250mg Test E. every 10 days. I will ride that before adding other ingredients to the batter.

esplendido
03-15-2010, 01:11 PM
I gotta say, and really....no homo....I nearly sported wood viewing that photo of you, ax. I mean that from a deep appreciation for a well-conditioned, maturely muscled body. That's the kind of hardness that wins shows! It's the "chiseled from stone" look that most bbers never achieve. You'll do well at the MN's!

bodyhard
03-15-2010, 04:28 PM
That is some nice conditioning there man! Excellent pic!

Baldiewonkanobi
03-16-2010, 05:19 AM
guys, thanks so much for the birthday wishes! You think when you have enough that kind of thing won't mean as much, but it really does! had a great day with Xiomara, heather and her boyfriend Adam. Ready to post some current photos Monday and commence training with a vengeance. Thanks and g'nite bros.

Ahemm !!!

Baldie

axioma
03-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Ahemm !!!

Baldie

Sorry, I will borrow a camera TODAY! No excuses....but...Xiomara had a minor surgery on Friday, kid in town...blardy, blardy..you greatest generation guys really know how to put some pressure on us...

axioma
03-16-2010, 08:04 AM
I gotta say, and really....no homo....I nearly sported wood viewing that photo of you, ax. I mean that from a deep appreciation for a well-conditioned, maturely muscled body. That's the kind of hardness that wins shows! It's the "chiseled from stone" look that most bbers never achieve. You'll do well at the MN's!

That is some nice conditioning there man! Excellent pic!

Those remarks could not have come at a better time. I was wallowing in some self-pity, whining about things not going my way. Last night, Xiomara gave me one of those "turn these negatives into positives" looks and I reflected. I am one of those guys who tends to NOT get the lucky breaks, have to make my own. However, those "negatives" are what makes me try harder and appreciate the achievements even more. It is what defines many of us. By the way, BodyHard, you look sick in the avi. You look like a pitbull.

IL WNBF Pro
03-16-2010, 02:54 PM
trying to upload here.

Wow dude...:bowdown:

Oh, and happy birthday to you! (belated)

axioma
03-16-2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks IL Pro, been reading through the Swiper q&a on Central. Very good stuff. I remember him from RR.com. Hope your training is going well, have you settled in on a routine?

axioma
03-17-2010, 10:02 AM
ok, not procrastinating here, but i do not own a digital camera! We bought a nice one for our daughter, but blah, blah...anyhooo we will borrow one and take some photos...promise, not going to say when now as baldie will publically shame me.
I am continuing to just get in the gym and get it done through this weekend (moving mom up from GA to live with us for a while) and Monday I can get into the routine again.
I started back on test, 500mg of E weekly, I will let that settle in before increasing or adding compound, should get a nice jolt after being off for 3 months.
I will increase gh to 4 iu daily, split dose.
Monday I will start back on the Keto diet/workout as a primer while the sauce kicks in, get the tendons ready and give this extensor tendon more time to heal, it has really had me in the dumps guys, can't even shake a man's hand without pain!
Decided to turn the mom thing into a positive: she is now part of team axioma. give her a stake in Pitt! she will help with meal prep! She is all stoked now, not going to be in the way but going to help her son realize a dream. Off to the gym, chest/back supersets.

Mac
03-17-2010, 10:25 AM
I started back on test, 500mg

One day I will have to try this. Probably won't be until my boys stop working.

Glad to see you're still hitting the iron. Say Hi to Mom for me.

axioma
03-17-2010, 10:52 AM
Interestingly enough, I have never had any shrinkage. The boys bounce back really quickly and I'm not worried about motility, so everything is cool.

MsGuns
03-17-2010, 11:27 AM
I was told to stop by and check you out Ax...it took me a min to read the whole. Pretty impressive. Hope the Mom move goes smooth.

Baldiewonkanobi
03-17-2010, 11:32 AM
:yep: TEAM AXIOMA :yep:

Nice ring to that. Count me in.

Baldie

Mac
03-17-2010, 11:46 AM
I was told to stop by and check you out Ax...it took me a min to read the whole. Pretty impressive. Hope the Mom move goes smooth.

I confess, it was me. Just as I told you, he is impressive.

MsGuns
03-17-2010, 12:17 PM
I confess, it was me. Just as I told you, he is impressive.

Yup Im impressed...Thx Mac for letting in on the secret.

axioma
03-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Yup Im impressed...Thx Mac for letting in on the secret.

Jeez, i'm a blabbermouth, no secret. thank you for reading and the well wishes! I'm nervous, bout a lot of things but I feel that things are jelling...at their own pace. Things have come up that kept me from working out and...it was right! The arm needs to heal, I need to take the intensity level down (want mom to settle in) and all good things in time.
Speaking of impressed, you are a celebrity that is not being celebrated! Awesome accomplishments and a definate role-model. Rx and masters especially, are lucky to have you. Honored you stopped by.

MsGuns
03-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Jeez, i'm a blabbermouth, no secret. thank you for reading and the well wishes! I'm nervous, bout a lot of things but I feel that things are jelling...at their own pace. Things have come up that kept me from working out and...it was right! The arm needs to heal, I need to take the intensity level down (want mom to settle in) and all good things in time.
Speaking of impressed, you are a celebrity that is not being celebrated! Awesome accomplishments and a definate role-model. Rx and masters especially, are lucky to have you. Honored you stopped by.

WoW thx...I might have to post that on my blog...
Im glad you are not rushing things...bodybuilding shows and gyms will always be there but not family.

axioma
03-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Absolutely. Not only family, but I feel that an inertia needs to build and keep building all the way to the show. I want to walk on the stage ready to fulfill promise, the climax of it all, not the denoument. Jeez, getting a little deep here, time to get back to work!

axioma
03-17-2010, 01:35 PM
:yep: TEAM AXIOMA :yep:

Nice ring to that. Count me in.

Baldie

ok, ok...
1. you didn't answer my request to get me one of the posters from the muscle beach showdown!
2. since you are doing t-shirts, how 'bout I purchase some advertising on them?...I actually sponsored a cycle team a few years ago...team axioma!

MsGuns
03-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Absolutely. Not only family, but I feel that an inertia needs to build and keep building all the way to the show. I want to walk on the stage ready to fulfill promise, the climax of it all, not the denoument. Jeez, getting a little deep here, time to get back to work!

From what Ive read and heard you will be READY! Im glad I stopped by.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-17-2010, 04:20 PM
I am still deeply distubed by Ricks comment..Put down the test-- back away slowly..

Curt James
03-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Happy belated Birthday, Axioma!

IL WNBF Pro
03-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks IL Pro, been reading through the Swiper q&a on Central. Very good stuff. I remember him from RR.com. Hope your training is going well, have you settled in on a routine?

I thought about doing a power routine for 4 weeks (tu/thu/sat kind of thing). Dont know if you were directing the Swiper comment at me...

esplendido
03-18-2010, 12:51 AM
I am still deeply distubed by Ricks comment..Put down the test-- back away slowly..

LOL! I'm just glad something can make me sport wood at my age :yep:

axioma
03-18-2010, 08:03 AM
I thought about doing a power routine for 4 weeks (tu/thu/sat kind of thing). Dont know if you were directing the Swiper comment at me...

kinda, sorta...I really like the DG approach thrown in the overall mix. You seem like a power oriented guy so thought you would like the thread.

axioma
03-18-2010, 08:05 AM
LOL! I'm just glad something can make me sport wood at my age :yep:

I have been mum regarding the wood remark....and I will remain so....:dunno: no buddy hugs right now....side arm....maybe...

IL WNBF Pro
03-18-2010, 09:12 AM
kinda, sorta...I really like the DG approach thrown in the overall mix. You seem like a power oriented guy so thought you would like the thread.

I started reading it....the guy is a freak!!!!

IL WNBF Pro
03-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Just got one reading the whole thread. Dont know if I would call him a power guy...but doing all the sets he does is insane. That is volume! HA HA. It works for him so who the hell am I to argue. I tried that kind of appraoch for a little bit, but I never know what weights to use for the 'build up' sets. I am too excited to get to my work sets so I have a hard time being patient. If that makes any sense.

axioma
03-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Just got one reading the whole thread. Dont know if I would call him a power guy...but doing all the sets he does is insane. That is volume! HA HA. It works for him so who the hell am I to argue. I tried that kind of appraoch for a little bit, but I never know what weights to use for the 'build up' sets. I am too excited to get to my work sets so I have a hard time being patient. If that makes any sense.
It does. If you wait too long, lose top end. Jump too early, hurt yourself

axioma
03-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Went to the gym today and noticed this guy, maybe in his 60's walking around. Had a definate old school look to him. I had just finished a set of decline presses for high reps and was sitting and panting. He walked by and tightened the plates as he passed. I said thanks. I'm thinking, "old school."

Little bit later I am doing some shrugs on the Hammer low pull and he is looking at the assisted chin/dip next to me. Some really morbidly obese guys was sitting on the hammer press on the other side. He as left his little canes leaning on the machine and his towel over the dip rail. The aforementioned gentleman politely moved the canes to the fat guys machine and handed him the towel. Fat man says, "Uh, I was using that machine, I was using it..." gentleman just gives him kind of a quizzical look and sets the pin. Fat man say, "Uh, you can work in go ahead..." Guy says nothing, just climbs up and goes to work doing one legged pushdowns on the platform. I'm thinking "old school for SURE" in that he doesn't suffer fools but he is still patient. I notice his calves, freakin huge. When he finishes he glances over and nods, I ask, "you compete?"
"Used to...won the Mr. America, Mr. Universe.." extends his hand, "Steve Michalik."

Haaa! I knew it! You can just spot the old school guys. So anyway, Mr. Michalik is working out in MY gym...wow!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Great story, about meeting Steve Michalik!

HeavyDutyGuy
03-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Went to the gym today and noticed this guy, maybe in his 60's walking around. Had a definate old school look to him. I had just finished a set of decline presses for high reps and was sitting and panting. He walked by and tightened the plates as he passed. I said thanks. I'm thinking, "old school."

Little bit later I am doing some shrugs on the Hammer low pull and he is looking at the assisted chin/dip next to me. Some really morbidly obese guys was sitting on the hammer press on the other side. He as left his little canes leaning on the machine and his towel over the dip rail. The aforementioned gentleman politely moved the canes to the fat guys machine and handed him the towel. Fat man says, "Uh, I was using that machine, I was using it..." gentleman just gives him kind of a quizzical look and sets the pin. Fat man say, "Uh, you can work in go ahead..." Guy says nothing, just climbs up and goes to work doing one legged pushdowns on the platform. I'm thinking "old school for SURE" in that he doesn't suffer fools but he is still patient. I notice his calves, freakin huge. When he finishes he glances over and nods, I ask, "you compete?"
"Used to...won the Mr. America, Mr. Universe.." extends his hand, "Steve Michalik."

Haaa! I knew it! You can just spot the old school guys. So anyway, Mr. Michalik is working out in MY gym...wow!
Damn. Im envious now! Steve was nuts but hardcore as they come. I respect that.

IL WNBF Pro
03-19-2010, 09:30 AM

You actually looked at him and he didnt throw you through the front window of the gym?? (hope you get that joke)

MsGuns
03-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Cool story!

Curt James
03-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Guy says nothing, just climbs up and goes to work doing one legged pushdowns on the platform. I'm thinking "old school for SURE" in that he doesn't suffer fools but he is still patient. I notice his calves, freakin huge. When he finishes he glances over and nods, I ask, "you compete?"

:eek:

John DeFendis shared several insane Michalik stories on the radio shows. That is so cool!

:bowdown:

axioma
03-23-2010, 09:03 AM
OK, the battle to convert "fat turd" to masters competitor started yesterday. The specimen before you is 45, 220 lbs. at 12%bf. No juice, no HRT for the past 3 months. Started on 500mg of TE last week. Started on my Keto workout/diet on Sunday. Did the chest/back giants yesterday, will do leg giants today. I feel really brittle.

axioma
03-23-2010, 09:58 AM
How did I get here?
I was the kid who made the THX sounds while drawing. Drawing the 50 caliber machine gun mounted on the back of the chopped banana seat bicycle with a steady, “Thump, Thump, Thump…”and then the “sspffft, squirtttt” of flying viscera of the villains. I studied and copied the styles of Adams, Buscema and Kirby as I drew my own versions of Batman, Conan and Thor. I thought these physiques existed only in comic books until an epiphany at the age of 12. I was walking through a mall with my parents and passed a display of books and time stopped. My parents continued to walk awhile, noticed me missing and when they walked back I was still standing there, staring, slack-jawed. I held it like reverently, turning it front to back, not even daring to open it. When I did open it, in the middle, I beheld a black and white photo of a God. I had no doubt in my 12 year old mind that this was God personified as Man. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

axioma
03-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Finding My Voice

A friend of mine is the choir director and organist at our church. He strongarmed me into joining the choir. I don't think I can sing a note, however he really needed a bass, so what the heck. I sang, I did the canter thing, blah, blah for about 6 months. Then as soon as it got cold, using the dry heat, I lost my voice. Sounded like crap (not that I didn't prior), so I took a leave of absence. As you know, once you quit, it is hard to start back...still looking for that voice.

The same thing applies to my workouts. I have lost my "voice", the fire, the RAGE. I have been in limbo. I have tried being the happy, friendly guy in the gym, doesn't work for me. I need to channel a murderous rage. The problem is, it really wears you down. Finding your voice is a process, mine started when I went down to move Mom.

Dad has been dead for a year and three months. Thought the grieving was done. Picking up his tools, things that he taught me carpentry with as a boy, hurt...deep in the pit of my stomach. Sadness, yes, but a little rage too.
Looking at the photos yesterday, looking at some of the competitors, hit me like a ton of bricks...got a LONG way to go. Most of you are way ahead of me. I can do it, however I need my "voice".

I read Baldie's entry about the first class trip to Italy and the world tour and I felt a longing for Dad. He never got that. What did he have? A 50 year marriage to his soulmate and kids who loved and respected him. I know that is a huge accomplishment by todays standards, but that is just it...todays standards suck. He never got that first class vacation...worked himself to death...body just gave out.

I worked out legs, quad and hams giant sets. Won't bore you with the weight, kinda feel like bodyhard, who gives a damn? All these thoughts are going through my head while I am working out...very cathartic..

I'm doing high rep hacks, butt on the heels, pausing at the bottom, exploding up, over and over...the rage builds. I'm listening to Posies "Flood of Sunshine" and I just keep on cranking, knowing I am going to pay...dearly. But that is okay, that is what I want...I need the pain again, rebirth, better than baptism. My Voice.

I'm going to take two weeks away from the forum. I have done alot of talking, offered alot of advice, now time to take some. Baldie's "Team Axioma" post was compelling...who the fuck am I? My goal is to grow into the show...better get busy. Peace.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Great post!

Baldiewonkanobi
03-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Ax you bring one amazing foundation to the plate :hypno::hypno::hypno::hypno::hypno::hypno:

I wish I had half of your genetics.....now dial her in my friend....its gonna be FUN in Pittsburgh.

Baldie

IL WNBF Pro
03-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Hell yes Ax. Awesome post. My dad is still alive, but he has done the same thing through his life. Work, work, work, work. In a way, thats how I feel. Its a tough thing to step back and enjoy the fruits of your labor. You said you're taking two weeks away, so I will keep looking back at this thread for some motivation till I start my prep.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-23-2010, 08:27 PM
YOUR ARMS LOOK HUGE THERE! What are your stats in those pics?

Baldiewonkanobi
03-24-2010, 06:48 AM
Hey Ax I checked out those vids with Ric Drasin...no audio? Just elevator music? Ric looks like my twin brother....never did when he was wrestling...but now he does.

Baldie

bodyhard
03-24-2010, 08:57 AM
All I can say man is I wish I had your mass :(

Mac
03-24-2010, 09:08 AM
You're looking very big there Ax. Gotta love your posing suit.

HOTGYMDIVA
03-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Matt, it's nice to finally see you posting a journal. Keep on getting it. You are doing awesome!! :-)

Baldiewonkanobi
03-25-2010, 04:06 PM
You're looking very big there Ax. Gotta love your posing suit.

Now you made me go look at his 'posing suit'.

Baldie

HeavyDutyGuy
03-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Now you made me go look at his 'posing suit'.

Baldie
Damn it. stop! I am starting to get really scared,,,each thread is worse than the last--- and I am not keto-- I had whole grain toast with my 5 or so eggs.. WTF ?

freebirdmac
03-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Wow! Now that's some serious mass! :eek:

axioma
03-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Damn it. stop! I am starting to get really scared,,,each thread is worse than the last--- and I am not keto-- I had whole grain toast with my 5 or so eggs.. WTF ?

are you sporting wood.:yep: Keto workout and diet going well, will check in in a few days, peace.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-26-2010, 05:41 PM
are you sporting wood.:yep: Keto workout and diet going well, will check in in a few days, peace.
LOL! I love you guys but NOT in that way... I will leave that to Rick.. keep going bro, very impressive stuff...

axioma
04-02-2010, 08:47 AM
I'm BAAAAACK!!! I know you guys haven't missed me, but I have missed you. I still dropped in and read your journals to stay motivated.
I took the last two weeks and did a "pre" precontest version of the cyclical keto workout/diet that I have done for years. Not really to drop the weight as I normally would, but to get a sense of where the body is...what is hurting. The result: I am ready to begin balls to the walls on Monday.
I will post pics on Monday. Nothing miraculous, just hope that you see a tightening of the physique. My weight has stayed consistent, however I have lost 1 1/2" on the waist. I am carb loading today, will do bench, squat and rack pulls tomorrow, off Sunday and hit the precontest split Monday.

Mom is settled in..."the sun came up, the birds are chirping..."and we have been working into the routine that will be stone until July. Had some major setbacks in work...just gotta deal with it.

So, Good Friday (grill some fish!) and a very Happy Easter!

I will try to pick out something better than the fashionably fresh boxers previously worn...for Monday.

Mac
04-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Well Ax, I missed your posts. Good to have you back and ready to go balls to the wall. Just remember to not leave them on the wall.

IL WNBF Pro
04-02-2010, 09:28 AM
How do you do your CKD diet and training for a show?

axioma
04-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Well Ax, I missed your posts. Good to have you back and ready to go balls to the wall. Just remember to not leave them on the wall.

Thanks Mac, feeling really good and I hope you guys will be pleased with the progress I have made in just two weeks.

axioma
04-02-2010, 12:20 PM
How do you do your CKD diet and training for a show?

I posted most of the ckd stuff earlier in the thread, however if you want details, PM me and I will help. No secret, Warrior (where is he?) on MD put it together, I used it, didn't really like some of the progressions and changed the caloric profiles on several of the days, but by and large kept it. I tweaked for triathletes and MMA guys. In the past two weeks,I followed the basic protocol, however didn't adhere to the diet strictly. I didn't want to drain myself, just cleaned up the diet, however kept enough calories to feed muscles as I did some pretty serious shock work on quads and biceps.

Precontest: I will do 6 weeks of DC style work, then transition into a higher volume split routine, big bodypart a.m., small bodypart p.m. hitting each twice a week, once heavy, once lighter. Sounds crazy, but I make a plan, but listen to my body first and foremost.

Current AAS: 2cc sustaplex and 2cc trinaplex weekly + 5iu GH daily (ramping up 1iu per week until 10iu is reached).

Current diet: 200gram prot, 500gram carb, fat from meat, avocados and fish oils only. Lots of fiber.

IL WNBF Pro
04-02-2010, 04:35 PM
I posted most of the ckd stuff earlier in the thread, however if you want details, PM me and I will help. No secret, Warrior (where is he?) on MD put it together, I used it, didn't really like some of the progressions and changed the caloric profiles on several of the days, but by and large kept it. I tweaked for triathletes and MMA guys. In the past two weeks,I followed the basic protocol, however didn't adhere to the diet strictly. I didn't want to drain myself, just cleaned up the diet, however kept enough calories to feed muscles as I did some pretty serious shock work on quads and biceps.

Precontest: I will do 6 weeks of DC style work, then transition into a higher volume split routine, big bodypart a.m., small bodypart p.m. hitting each twice a week, once heavy, once lighter. Sounds crazy, but I make a plan, but listen to my body first and foremost.

Current AAS: 2cc sustaplex and 2cc trinaplex weekly + 5iu GH daily (ramping up 1iu per week until 10iu is reached).

Current diet: 200gram prot, 500gram carb, fat from meat, avocados and fish oils only. Lots of fiber.

500gm carb? I will look over the thread again....in any event, I wont need to start prepping for a show till June/July. Whenever I have done CKD...I did Sun - 1/2 of friday as low acrb...then carb up till I go to bed on saturday night. Best workout was the chest and back on sundays...talk about wicked pumps.

axioma
04-05-2010, 08:11 AM
Saturday routine was carb loaded. Poundages were down, but that was expected. I just wanted to feel the weight and see what was hurting or not.

Rt. forearm/extensors: still very painful, hard to grip
Shoulders flare up midway through benching
Knees: not bad, just taking many, many warmup sets.

Squat: 5 sets of 500 x 5 reps
Rack pulls below knee: 5 sets of 500lbs. x 6 reps
Bench: 5 sets of 320 x 5 reps

Sunday: vegetated, tired from workout and pollen is epidemic here.

axioma
04-06-2010, 08:37 AM
apr 5th: legs
smith front squats: WS 315 x 8
Leg Press: WS 850 x 10
Leg Curls: WS 190 x 10
Single Leg Deadlifts: WS 40 x 12

all exercises had 3-4 warmup sets
20 minutes cardio
diet: 200grams prot, 500 grams carb 9 fat caps

esplendido
04-06-2010, 11:43 AM
apr 5th: legs
smith front squats: WS 315 x 8
Leg Press: WS 850 x 10
Leg Curls: WS 190 x 10
Single Leg Deadlifts: WS 40 x 12

all exercises had 3-4 warmup sets
20 minutes cardio
diet: 200grams prot, 500 grams carb 9 fat caps

Damn, that's a helluva lot of carbs! And protein seems low, too. Have you used this protocol before?

Baldiewonkanobi
04-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Damn, that's a helluva lot of carbs! And protein seems low, too. Have you used this protocol before?

Now I'm also curious......I'm like 300 Protein, 100 maybe carbs and lots of good fats.

Baldie

axioma
04-06-2010, 12:36 PM

I have, been awhile though. I will gradually lower carbs every time I feel I hit plateau and raise protein according. I STAY in a keto style diet year round, so I am using the keto workout to boomerang me into a amped up metabolism and growth. I hope to only be straight keto to 2-3 weeks and slowly ramp up. I will depend on feedback from you guys too.

axioma
04-06-2010, 12:39 PM
4/6
smith incline: WS 315 x 8
iso-lateral hammer: WS 345 x 6
incline fly: 55 x 15 x 3
bar curl: WS 105 x 10
hammer curl machine: 50 x 8 x 3 ea. arm
rope low cable curl: 70 x 12 x 3
pushups with perfectpushup handles: 5 x 20 neutral grip

will do cardio pm

axioma
04-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Now I'm also curious......I'm like 300 Protein, 100 maybe carbs and lots of good fats.

Baldie
I know protein is low, but not for long...not enough to lose muscle...will ramp it up shortly:)

HeavyDutyGuy
04-06-2010, 12:43 PM
I am confused. So you are cycling carbs? or no?

axioma
04-06-2010, 12:48 PM
yes, 500 grams for two weeks, 400, 300, 200, hold 100 for few weeks then ramp back up to 500 prior to show. Protein and fats will go up as carbs come down.

Wetdawg
04-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Ax is your cardio everyday? If you run, how far (or time) do you go?
Thanks WD

axioma
04-07-2010, 08:10 AM
cardio is 3 times a week, not counting the 15 minute warm-ups/cool downs every workout. Last night I did 45 minutes split between bike/treadmill and hit calves (hi volume) and abs (lower focus). Where do you work out in 'lanta?

Wetdawg
04-07-2010, 11:30 AM
cardio is 3 times a week, not counting the 15 minute warm-ups/cool downs every workout. Last night I did 45 minutes split between bike/treadmill and hit calves (hi volume) and abs (lower focus). Where do you work out in 'lanta?

http://www.ybfitness.com/your_body_fitness.html about 10 mins from the house. I am beginning to out grow certain areas in my lifting here. Biggest DB is 100. But there is a Smith machine and a squat rack. The owner, Paul Redmer, has won a few BodyBuilding Comps and is a great guy.

axioma
04-07-2010, 11:46 AM
http://www.ybfitness.com/your_body_fitness.html about 10 mins from the house. I am beginning to out grow certain areas in my lifting here. Biggest DB is 100. But there is a Smith machine and a squat rack. The owner, Paul Redmer, has won a few BodyBuilding Comps and is a great guy.

If the owner is bodybuilder and empathetic to needs of members, that goes a LONG way to overlooking some shortcomings.

Wetdawg
04-07-2010, 04:11 PM
I have been dropping hints we need bigger Weights. He opened it about 3 years ago, then LA Fitness opened up 2 blocks away shortly after. Didn't help business much. Just us harder core people in there that don't need the Fruh Fruh items. At least i don't deal with one of those no grunting/yelling/screaming alarms that gets me thrown out. I think those are just rediculous. Where is your gym located? I use to live in Summerville.

axioma
04-07-2010, 04:47 PM
I owned a gym in Abbeville, sold it and workout in two local gyms, one being a Gold's (where I personal train) and the other being a mom and pop. Got a decent gym between the two of them, but nothing hardcore....maybe soon.

IL WNBF Pro
04-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Bally's in Mesa, AZ only went to 100's. When I asked why..they said that its a safety concern for them to have anything larger.

Wow.

axioma
04-08-2010, 12:26 PM
4/8 back, rear delt
20 minute cardio
warm-ups: hammer high pulls: 90 x 15 x 3
Dumbbell Rows: WS 120 x 10
Seated Rows: (WS with medium close grip) 265 x 8
Rear delt fly: WS 150 x 12
Bent over straight arm pulldowns: WS 145 x 10

axioma
04-08-2010, 12:31 PM
nothing miraculous here, just wanted to kick start the metabolism and get the body ready for what is to come..."get my mind right". Hopefully I look a little harder.

axioma
04-08-2010, 02:10 PM
weight: 226 lowering carbs: 450 grams raising protein: 250 grams

axioma
04-09-2010, 09:39 AM
OK, thought I would get some feedback...I mean I HAVE gained 5lbs and lost a good bit of fat in two weeks...whatthefuckdoIknow?

axioma
04-09-2010, 10:47 AM
I will take a page out of bodyhard book and just post...

Got a full day of massages, already done two and the carpal is killing me already. Still have to train arms/shoulders. These days are great for business, however really hard to get the meals in. gotta go.

bodyhard
04-09-2010, 11:00 AM
nothing miraculous here, just wanted to kick start the metabolism and get the body ready for what is to come..."get my mind right". Hopefully I look a little harder.

You've been at this for a long time so you don't need no one telling you what to do, but what I do is take pics month to month, same poses, same light and keep comparing as I go down the line. I will be posting some pics next week as my month is up.

Baldiewonkanobi
04-09-2010, 11:47 AM
When you think you have enough color you will need even MORE under the Pittburgh lights. I like your look. Like I said before, bring your avitar condition, much darker, and NEVER relax on stage. When you flex hard you are scary good.

Baldie

axioma
04-09-2010, 11:53 AM
You've been at this for a long time so you don't need no one telling you what to do, but what I do is take pics month to month, same poses, same light and keep comparing as I go down the line. I will be posting some pics next week as my month is up.
right on...

Mac
04-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Hey Ax, you're improving in the latest pics. Your legs look much bigger than in the first set of pics. Keep it up brother.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-09-2010, 02:23 PM
You look good,especially the arms and legs. Back needs to come up!

axioma
04-09-2010, 03:17 PM
You look good,especially the arms and legs. Back needs to come up!

really have problem getting the lats thicker, especially at waist. always had great width, especially rhomb, teres tie-ins, just can't get that outer thickness. Bar rows tend to thicken my lower and mid-back. thanks for the criticism, constructive and appreciated.

joedemarco
04-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Axioma, didn't realize how thick you were until I just viewed those most recent pics. Great job adding some off season mass. You're gonna do real well if you dial it all in at show time.

AnglicanBeachParty
04-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Axioma, didn't realize how thick you were until I just viewed those most recent pics. Great job adding some off season mass. You're gonna do real well if you dial it all in at show time.

x2 !!

axioma
04-10-2010, 02:04 PM
tried the icyplex, injectible clen/yohimbe...sweet jesus...made mistake of taking a preworkout too....mother mary and joseph....

dbl laterals: 20 x 20, 25 x 20, 30 x 15
hammer shoulder: WS: 3 plates x 15, drop plate x 15, drop plate x 15ish
smith uprights: 90 x 15 x 3
incline dbl curls: WS: 35 x 12
hammer curls (across body) one arm: 40 x 10,9,8
lying one arm dbl ext's, to opposite side of head: WS: 30 x 15 x 3
pushdowns: 165 x 20 x 3 (this machine was really heavy!)

still trying to deal with the tachycardia....OMG

axioma
04-10-2010, 02:05 PM
have a great weekend brothers and sisters in iron...beautiful spring day here! Peace.

esplendido
04-10-2010, 02:08 PM
tried the icyplex, injectible clen/yohimbe...sweet jesus...made mistake of taking a preworkout too....mother mary and joseph....

LMAO! Good chit, heh!? :yep:

IL WNBF Pro
04-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Alright dude....dont what it is...but I think I have my spark started looking at your logs. I am salivating to get to gym. Just had some l.f. home made chicken parm....hitting little nap...then to gym for some chest/bi/abs. Might take a some pics and do my own log. Your legs are awesome.

Hammerfit
04-11-2010, 09:53 AM
have a great weekend brothers and sisters in iron...beautiful spring day here! Peace.

you look great, some serious mass plenty of time to dial that in

Baldiewonkanobi
04-11-2010, 12:09 PM

Two hits on my asthma puffer (Albuterol...weak sister to Clen), coffee, and Meltdown (synephrine) and my eyes spin in the socket and my mouth goes into double overdrive. I would surely go into tach. :hypno:

Baldie

axioma
04-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Okay the Icyplex saga:

Saturday a.m. took Icyplex and Ragnorok (new preworkout drink I am testing). Z and I are driving to the gym, laughing...shit this stuff is great babe!...Whoooo
The local sporting goods is on the way and i want to see if they have a used Ruger Mark II or III. We go in and Z looks at me and says, "sweetheart, you look really shady...your eyes...Anybody see Old Dogs yet? The scene where they accidentally take the pills that makes your face morph into the joker? That is what I looked like, a big, stupid grin and humongous pupils...wanting to buy a GUN! I'm fucking tweaking here, guys! I'm talking ninety miles an hour...grabbing ammo for every gun I own, targets...holsters..."Ohhh,ohh, babe look at that!" Z is trying not to laugh and just leaves me with all of the camo dudes staring at me.

The clerk brings the paper work for me to fill out and I have to hold the pen with TWO hands and my check marks look like they were made by a kindergardner with a jumbo crayola....nevermind the freakin' signature...holy horseshit.

My eye is twitching...my ass is twitching...OMG! Get me the fuck out of HERE!!!

Needless to say...thank God for the brady bill...I had to wait...maybe Wednesday he says? Oh wow...