PDA

View Full Version : Glute Training Pre-Contest

Dominick Cardone
01-28-2010, 04:24 PM
When do you guy's perfer to train glute's pre contest? Thoughts on training them with legs? And which movements do you guys use?

Scoobysnacks
01-28-2010, 04:51 PM
ATG squats
heavy stiff leg deads
treadmill set to incline of 10 and emphasize each step and squeeze.

Otherwise I dont do direct glute work.

Ss

rockhard
01-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Like Scooby: Deep Squats, Stiff Deads, and incline treadmill or Stepmill for cardio, otherwise nothing really specific for the glutes.

In my opinion, striated glutes are more the result of diet and cardio than anything you can do in the weight room. I think genetics also play a big part, as many guys can get ultra shredded but still not have striated glutes.

Scoobysnacks
01-29-2010, 10:26 AM
the one thing I do directly, that I apologize, I forgot to add I learned from a thread by Tim Martin.

Its kind of hard to explain. But you get on an abductor machine. Instead of sitting down in the seat, raise your hips off the seat, so your legs and torso are almost in line rather than a right angle if you were seated. You kind of lean back over the back rest a tad as well. Then do the exercise. Place your hands on the area where your trunks would ride over the glute area, you should really feel this area being worked. I like these and usually do them once per week.

Ss

Dominick Cardone
01-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Thank you my brother!

HeavyDutyGuy
01-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Heavy squats, deadlifts, leg presses, stiff legged deads all to at least failure on last set (or 2). If all that doesn't hit your entire leg and glute structure, you're doing them wrong. Now go train something not so gay sounding...

Shariff Abel
01-29-2010, 02:49 PM
5 plates sitting bench leg press with Someone setting on top .

Dan Kennedy
01-31-2010, 08:28 AM
Bum blaster, leg press - feet high and wide, lying leg curl - lift thighs off pad at top, wide stance lunges.
Dan

DAVIDHARDY
01-31-2010, 04:41 PM
I do something sort of similar to Scooby whit the abductors. I just make sure that my ass is a few inches off of the seat and it really fries them. I do them when I do hams and I also deadlift and squat. Sumo style squats and leg presses hit them pretty good as well.

Provo82
05-06-2010, 10:27 AM
i know this is an old thread. But LUNGES work glutes big time! One leg at a time vertical leg press also. and abductor machines.

Kyle Witherspoon
05-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Nothing beat walking lunges with no pause in the step. And deep knee to ground

Provo82
05-07-2010, 09:22 AM

yes definately. and step ups with dumbells also.

hulk7280
05-07-2010, 11:46 AM

thats really bad for ur knees to bang it on the ground..

its more beneficial to stop right before ur deep knee hits the ground..keeps more tension on ur glutes and hams, plus it takes more muscle to stop ur knee from hitting the ground..

Provo82
05-07-2010, 12:03 PM
thats really bad for ur knees to bang it on the ground..

its more beneficial to stop right before ur deep knee hits the ground..keeps more tension on ur glutes and hams, plus it takes more muscle to stop ur knee from hitting the ground..

good point but i think the point kyle was trying to make is not to do none of that half rep crap that alot of people do