PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Charged In Brooklyn Steroid Case

Deserusan
02-10-2009, 02:51 PM
"BROOKLYN (WABC) -- A doctor, his health clinic and a pharmacy have been charged with illegally providing steroids to bodybuilders, weightlifters and others, a prosecutor said Tuesday.

Brooklyn District Attorney Charles J. Hynes said Dr. Richard Lucente wrote prescriptions to patients who had no medical need for them, then steered them to a pharmacy in return for $30,000 in kickbacks. Besides the kickbacks, Lucente collected about $500,000 in fees from about 220 clients who were provided with steroids or other illegal substances, the prosecutor said.

A Staten Island bodybuilder named Joe Baglio, who had had a heart transplant, received steroids illegally from Lucente and died of heart failure, Hynes said.

"He gained a reputation as someone who would sell ... to any bodybuilder, weightlifter or athlete," Hynes said."

Video coverage can be seen here: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=6650409

Ryan Wacht
08-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Waste of time and taxpayer's money. Steroids shouldn't be illegal in the first place. More deaths result from OTC painkillers such as aspirin, tylenol and ibuprofen then steroids do.

natenator
08-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Waste of time and taxpayer's money. Steroids shouldn't be illegal in the first place. More deaths result from OTC painkillers such as aspirin, tylenol and ibuprofen then steroids do.

Disagree. He's a physician and bound to an ethical and legal standard. Writing illegal scripts and taking kickbacks off those scripts is just as bad as a physician who dates his patients.

Sandpig
08-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Holy shit! Threads over two years old. :dunno:

ScottyMac710
08-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Disagree. He's a physician and bound to an ethical and legal standard. Writing illegal scripts and taking kickbacks off those scripts is just as bad as a physician who dates his patients.

i agree to a degree, the doctor is in the wrong and is exhibiting illegal and immoral practices. in the big picture focusing on the steroids involved, I think they should be legal to purchase by people of age - which would do away with these immoral practices in the first place

natenator
08-13-2011, 10:01 PM
i agree to a degree, the doctor is in the wrong and is exhibiting illegal and immoral practices. in the big picture focusing on the steroids involved, I think they should be legal to purchase by people of age - which would do away with these immoral practices in the first place

You're saying that because its steroids thus biased. I use as well and can call a spade a spade and say what he is doing is wrong.

Take steroids out of the picture and say it's pain killers? Or anti depressant meds? How about fertility drugs? The point is when we as people choose to break the law we do so by putting ourselves at risk. Doctors hold a tremendous amount of power and there's a reason why they are held to a high legal standard.

bigchamp89
08-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Holy shit! Threads over two years old. :dunno:
lol didnt even notice that

dc9616
08-14-2011, 10:37 AM
lol didnt even notice that

lol

hulk7510
08-14-2011, 12:05 PM
legalize steroids.end of problems.

hifrommike65
08-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Staten Island doctor Richard Lucente avoids prison time for peddling steroids

BY SCOTT SHIFREL
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Staten Island doctor charged with peddling steroids to NYPD cops and bodybuilders walked out of court a free man Wednesday as his lawyer gloated over the no-jail deal.
"They wanted 30 years. They didn't get 30 minutes," Richard Lucente's lawyer, John Meringolo, boasted after his client was sentenced in Brooklyn Supreme Court.
Lucente, 38, was facing dozens of years in prison when he pleaded guilty in March to getting kickbacks from a Brooklyn pharmacy for feeding it patients, including a heart transplant patient who later died.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-05-13/news/27064184_1_steroid-probe-prison-time-heart-transplant

http://www.silive.com/eastshore/index.ssf/2010/05/staten_island_doctor_richard_l.html

natenator
08-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Wanna take bets thathe never practices medicine again?

Staten Island doctor Richard Lucente avoids prison time for peddling steroids

BY SCOTT SHIFREL
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Staten Island doctor charged with peddling steroids to NYPD cops and bodybuilders walked out of court a free man Wednesday as his lawyer gloated over the no-jail deal.
"They wanted 30 years. They didn't get 30 minutes," Richard Lucente's lawyer, John Meringolo, boasted after his client was sentenced in Brooklyn Supreme Court.
Lucente, 38, was facing dozens of years in prison when he pleaded guilty in March to getting kickbacks from a Brooklyn pharmacy for feeding it patients, including a heart transplant patient who later died.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-05-13/news/27064184_1_steroid-probe-prison-time-heart-transplant

http://www.silive.com/eastshore/index.ssf/2010/05/staten_island_doctor_richard_l.html

tazzie
08-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Bet he opens up a longevity clinic after the 2 year ban is up...

David Lees
08-15-2011, 11:59 AM
legalize steroids.end of problems.

qft.

MadHatter67
08-15-2011, 12:10 PM
its amusing that you guys are making a debate over the fact that hes writting bogus scripts to patients and never even brought up the fact that he WROTE A SCRIPT FOR A MAN THAT HAD A HEART TRANSPLANT!!!! now thats an immoral man right there.

Reseg
08-15-2011, 12:39 PM
its amusing that you guys are making a debate over the fact that hes writting bogus scripts to patients and never even brought up the fact that he WROTE A SCRIPT FOR A MAN THAT HAD A HEART TRANSPLANT!!!! now thats an immoral man right there.

Easy now, correct me if I'm wrong, but they never stated what exactly he prescribed for the man, in what dose, and they are very careful to not say anything about his CAUSE of death being any way related to what he prescribed. They also carefully never said the prescription wasn't needed, they only say that he prescribed "many that weren't needed", which tells me some WERE necessary. Reporters are slick like that when it comes to spinning something into a bigger, more powerful story. They lay it out in a way you could read into it as if he killed the man when there's no proof of it.

He could have prescribed a simple TRT dose to help him get his test levels and strength back after researching and communicating the pros and cons of it. There's no way to know from that article... or that I noticed.

I can easily see how many would see that as breaking a moral obligation as a doctor, but I could also see how people could easily argue he's keeping people from buying underground and more risky options. We all know many of these people are going to find a way to get what they want and a Dr. prescribing pharm grade legit stuff would be a safer route.

capps
08-16-2011, 11:52 AM
^^ I agree, the article really gives us no facts. We don't even know if this Dr. even met the guy that died, maybe he just did a script for a guy that needed HRT as has been said. The fact of the matter is that it is safer for athlete's to get a script and monitored by their Dr and that is the way it should be done without any criminal action. People will get their hands on gear anyway and most of the shit out their is dangerous!

natenator
08-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Where a person chooses to source their products is of NO concern to a physician. There are ethical and legal standards they are subject to and writing a script because the patient said they'd buy underground products goes against legal and ethical standards.

My physican will not write me a script because i told him im buying an underground product nor will i write a script for someone when i become a physician under the same circumstances.

When it comes to laws surrounding medicine there really arent many shades of grey. There's black and white for a reason.

Easy now, correct me if I'm wrong, but they never stated what exactly he prescribed for the man, in what dose, and they are very careful to not say anything about his CAUSE of death being any way related to what he prescribed. They also carefully never said the prescription wasn't needed, they only say that he prescribed "many that weren't needed", which tells me some WERE necessary. Reporters are slick like that when it comes to spinning something into a bigger, more powerful story. They lay it out in a way you could read into it as if he killed the man when there's no proof of it.

He could have prescribed a simple TRT dose to help him get his test levels and strength back after researching and communicating the pros and cons of it. There's no way to know from that article... or that I noticed.

I can easily see how many would see that as breaking a moral obligation as a doctor, but I could also see how people could easily argue he's keeping people from buying underground and more risky options. We all know many of these people are going to find a way to get what they want and a Dr. prescribing pharm grade legit stuff would be a safer route.

tjschoenborn
08-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Who goes back on gear after having a heart transplant?

data
08-17-2011, 10:22 PM
The moral of the story is that the government should not have the authority to tell anyone what they can inject, snort, or smoke. There are consequences to every political system and on of them is people should be allowed to make bad decisions.

Curt James
08-18-2011, 03:50 AM
Where a person chooses to source their products is of NO concern to a physician. There are ethical and legal standards they are subject to and writing a script because the patient said they'd buy underground products goes against legal and ethical standards.

My physican will not write me a script because i told him im buying an underground product nor will i write a script for someone when i become a physician under the same circumstances.

When it comes to laws surrounding medicine there really arent many shades of grey. There's black and white for a reason.

:bowdown: Thank you, Hippocrates.

Curt James
08-18-2011, 03:56 AM
^^ I agree, the article really gives us no facts. We don't even know if this Dr. even met the guy that died, maybe he just did a script for a guy that needed HRT as has been said. The fact of the matter is that it is safer for athletes to get a script and monitored by their Dr and that is the way it should be done without any criminal action. People will get their hands on gear anyway and most of the shit out there is dangerous!

This.

The moral of the story is that the government should not have the authority to tell anyone what they can inject, snort, or smoke. There are consequences to every political system and one of them is people should be allowed to make bad decisions.

AAS really needs an organization which advocates for its decriminalization, legalization, and taxation—something analogous to NORML.

hifrommike65
08-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Unfortunately the government has spoken, & reflects public opinion in the sports community. It was absurd for this guy to think he could get away with AAS scripts to patients. You have to file all steroid requests in triplicate & the feds are on them like a chicken on a junebug. :mad:

Curt James
08-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Unfortunately the government has spoken, & reflects public opinion in the sports community. It was absurd for this guy to think he could get away with AAS scripts to patients. You have to file all steroid requests in triplicate & the feds are on them like a chicken on a junebug. :mad:

Governments change, repeal laws, make adjustments, make exceptions, they even topple. lol

Hopefully, there will be change.