PDA

View Full Version : What to eat for major gains!!!

BIGTIG
01-31-2010, 01:42 AM
Hi everyone,

ive been training for about 3 years. ive gained some mass, but i really want to be MASSIVE. right now im 5'11 200 pounds. now i kno the secret is nutrition, but are there certain foods that i can take that can get me the most weight gain. I train everyday so i dont really care about the calorie count. also what kind of supplements are the best for weight gain?

thesamewords
01-31-2010, 02:10 AM
Hit reverse on your statement and pay attention to your calories. Im not saying to count them, but I am saying make them count. I usually replace some of the chicken in my diet with beef to increase my caloric intake. Good luck, PS...... if you dont care what type of weight you put on then just eat ice cream.

spritz0
01-31-2010, 02:47 AM
I eat six eggs after my workout, usually with a can of mushrooms (drained) and about three hours later a hamburger patty or fish fillet with a scoop of cottage cheese and a thick 3-scoop protein shake. I'm 5'11" and 245lb and not fat, just not ripped as I have no ambition to compete, just look reasonably hard.

bbdude1988
01-31-2010, 04:48 AM
Hi everyone,

ive been training for about 3 years. ive gained some mass, but i really want to be MASSIVE. right now im 5'11 200 pounds. now i kno the secret is nutrition, but are there certain foods that i can take that can get me the most weight gain. I train everyday so i dont really care about the calorie count. also what kind of supplements are the best for weight gain?

Hi everyone,

If you want to get massive, you need more cals, and those cals need to come from quality sources. Don't ask how many cals you need, because we would need more info, BUT if you have been lifting and want to gain weight at a faster rate than you are right now, then increase your cals per day by 300 to 500.

As far as foods to eat -

eggs, steak, chicken, any other type of meat, fish, nuts, peanut butter, milk, whole wheat, veggies, fruits, olive oil, sweet potatoes

these are just a few, but you can expand from there

BIGTIG
01-31-2010, 11:14 AM
hmmm makes sense, but do i have to eat sooo frequently. my day gets hectic and sometimes i forget to eat meals

freebirdmac
01-31-2010, 03:51 PM
When you're talking about consuming a lot of food, eating frequently helps. It also helps keep you in a positive nitrogen state. Getting busy and forgetting to eat is no excuse. Plan ahead and stay on schedule.

FIREBLAST
01-31-2010, 04:10 PM
McDonalds, McDonalds and more McDonalds...i.e Double quarter pounder w/cheese and large Fry.

YNOT7
01-31-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm on the same boat.tryin to but on weight by eattin alil clean.i did the whole mcD i did put on weight but also got a fat belly

BIGTIG
01-31-2010, 11:08 PM
When you're talking about consuming a lot of food, eating frequently helps. It also helps keep you in a positive nitrogen state. Getting busy and forgetting to eat is no excuse. Plan ahead and stay on schedule.

what is a positive nitrogen state?

BIGTIG
01-31-2010, 11:08 PM
McDonalds, McDonalds and more McDonalds...i.e Double quarter pounder w/cheese and large Fry.

lool like that plan

Conrad
02-01-2010, 06:47 AM
Staples of a sucessful bulk diet:
Chicken, Eggs, Red Meat, Whey, Oats, Rice, Potatoes, Pasta, Natural PB, Almonds, EVOO, Macedamia Oil, Broccoli

freebirdmac
02-01-2010, 07:41 AM
what is a positive nitrogen state?

Here's one of many articles http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson75.htm

BIGTIG
02-01-2010, 01:33 PM

HMM thx this makes sense!!!!!

djh0582
02-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Here's one of many articles http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson75.htm That's something to grow on......good article.

Conrad
02-01-2010, 04:57 PM

Great article, reps.

BIGTIG
02-04-2010, 12:02 AM
i heard that recommended meals per day are 6. if i miss a meal can i just add the calories from my missed meal to the new meal im about to take?

freebirdmac
02-04-2010, 08:32 PM
i heard that recommended meals per day are 6. if i miss a meal can i just add the calories from my missed meal to the new meal im about to take?

You gotta get the food in somehow :)
Maybe you need a stash of protein bars and RTDs so you don't have to eat 2 meals at one sitting. That can be tough at times.

tiramisu
02-04-2010, 11:37 PM
You need to find a very genetically gifted bodybuilder and eat him raw so that you don't denature the enzymes.

Your genetics limit your growth rate. Eat plenty of protein, adequate efa's, reasonable carbs and keep your caloric excess around 500/1000 calories per day while keeping your body fat below 12%.

BIGTIG
02-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Hey thanks everyone for the tips. I got another question. When i usually eat my meals, i have alot of meat and carbs. For example for lunch today i had 2 egg rolls, 5 chicken wings and 2 slices of garlic bread wit cheese. ppl have mentioned that i need to eat protein constantly, but can i get away with just eating meals that have just meat and carbs?

whatdayaknow
02-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Chicken and rice, chicken and rice, chicken and rice

freebirdmac
02-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Hey thanks everyone for the tips. I got another question. When i usually eat my meals, i have alot of meat and carbs. For example for lunch today i had 2 egg rolls, 5 chicken wings and 2 slices of garlic bread wit cheese. ppl have mentioned that i need to eat protein constantly, but can i get away with just eating meals that have just meat and carbs?

I don't think that's as much protein as you think. Or need.

You did get fat in that meal. Ideally you'd like a balance of each in every meal.

whatdayaknow
02-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Here is a good example of breakfast:
3 jumbo eggs scrambled
16ox glass of whole milk
1/2 cup cottage cheese
3oz flank steak
2 whole wheat toast with no salt butter
1/2 cup oatmeal

liftw8t
02-06-2010, 06:11 PM

Wow my BP and cholesterol would shoot through the roof lol with that lunch, I can barely handle a burger king combo without massive heart burn lol. but what i do is eat flank steak, ground beef (lean), and chicken usually to bulk with and have some carbs of some sort. Also I drink RTD with meal to get alittle extra:yep:

joe d
02-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Hi everyone,

training every day is an issue. you need time off.
some of the best foods are:
protein- beef, bison, milk eggs
carbs- sweat potatos, oats, apples, banannas at the right times
fats- raw nuts

eat a good 4 meals every day with beef, chicken, or eggs. sweat potato, oats, or other whole grain. and green veggies like broccoli or spinach.

in addition to these meals drink a shake as soon as you get up and another shake imediately post w/o.

between the 4 meals eat a handful of mixed nuts with some mixed berries.

whole eggs is perfect for before bed.

esgibson
02-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi everyone,

easiest way to gain mass is to just eat twice a day and eat like 3,000 cals per meal...so it'll be like 6,000 cals a day..ur metabolism will be shit and u'll get fat..but u'll get massive haha that's what sumo wrestlers do! if u wanna get big like a bodybuilding u need to learn how to control ur spikes in insulin..the easiest way to do this is to only eat simple carbs post work out or in the morning. u're already 200 pounds but u didn't say how lean u r...bf% would be best. eat every 2 hours and make sure ur not fillin urself with pizza and shit all the time..once for twice a week depending on ur metabolism is fine but keep it up and u'll be fat as shit...keep ur food clean and u'll gain real mass..not just fat...train hard and keep us posted brotha...and remember....EAT!

JD Johannes
02-20-2010, 11:40 PM
Eat food, real foods--steaks, eggs, chicken, fish, oats, green vegetables--and lots of them.

The best supplement in the world is good old fashioned high quality Whey protein (Species).

Just eating protein stimulates muscle protein synthesis (http://www.fitforcombatsystem.com/protein-professors-vs-athletes-vs-media-misconceptions/), which is the goal around here.

I make my best gains eating about 500grams of protein a day with a total calories of around 3,600. But, that is me, it may not work for you.

Also, really think about your workout. Any effort beyond what you can properly recover from before the next time you work that muscle is a waste and counter productive.

For some people less leads to more, for others more leads to more. The only way to find out is to make adjustments to your training until you hit your hypertrophy zone.

juggernaut
02-21-2010, 12:03 AM
I eat six eggs after my workout, usually with a can of mushrooms (drained) and about three hours later a hamburger patty or fish fillet with a scoop of cottage cheese and a thick 3-scoop protein shake. I'm 5'11" and 245lb and not fat, just not ripped as I have no ambition to compete, just look reasonably hard.
Is there a reason why you digest so much fat right after your workout?
Not to pick a fight with you or insult you, but 5'11" 245 sounds fat with a shitty diet as the one you've laid out.

juggernaut
02-21-2010, 12:05 AM
Hi everyone,

Can you lay your diet out as it goes on a day to day basis? Supplements: fish oil, multivitamin and creatine for a beginner.

thesamewords
02-21-2010, 02:15 AM
Baked chicken quarters more Chicken thighs!!!! yessssssss.....everyday homie!

Carson
02-21-2010, 01:14 PM
I'd eat food

nycdude
09-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Chicken legs, canned salmon, tuna sandwiches, steak, cottage cheese, yams, gallons of milk and water.

k-dawg
09-11-2010, 02:24 PM
easiest way to gain mass is to just eat twice a day and eat like 3,000 cals per meal...so it'll be like 6,000 cals a day..ur metabolism will be shit and u'll get fat..but u'll get massive haha that's what sumo wrestlers do! if u wanna get big like a bodybuilding u need to learn how to control ur spikes in insulin..the easiest way to do this is to only eat simple carbs post work out or in the morning. u're already 200 pounds but u didn't say how lean u r...bf% would be best. eat every 2 hours and make sure ur not fillin urself with pizza and shit all the time..once for twice a week depending on ur metabolism is fine but keep it up and u'll be fat as shit...keep ur food clean and u'll gain real mass..not just fat...train hard and keep us posted brotha...and remember....EAT!

meal frequency has no effect on metabolism

joe d
09-12-2010, 07:25 AM
Hi everyone,

you may want to ease up on the training. try 5 days per week. for diet fruits, veggies, nuts, beef, chicken, fish, oats, sweet potato etc. 4-10 meals per day. here is a rough idea of what i was eating while at my biggest

6am- 3 omega eggs, 15 egg whites, 1 green pepper, 1 med onion, one bella mushroom, 1 banana, 1 cup spinach, 1 cup oats

8am- 60g prot, 40g carb, 10g fat shake (includes mixed berries, egg whites, evo, and oats)

10am- 1/2 chicken, 1/2 plate full of broccoli, coliflower, carrot mix, 1/2 cup brown rice, 16 oz whole milk

12pm- same shake as 8am

gym

end of training- around 2pm shake 150g prot, 80g dex, 20g waxy maize, 1/2 cup oats (was using slin)

3pm- same shake as post w/o (because of slin)

4pm- 10oz beef, apple, sweet potato, mixed green salad with evoo, garlic, and onion

6pm normal shake like in the morning

8pm- 10 whole omega eggs, cereal bowl full of broccoli, 1/2 cup oats

sleep

1am- 12oz fish, 8 rice cakes, orange

sleep

then repeat starting at 6am

consuming all of this food, taking all of the drugs (gh, t3, slin, aas, different enzymes, and inject aminos, and training like an animal all brought on the mass but at the same time it almost killed me.

retwa
09-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Jesus. Yea, that'll put the size on you alright. :)

Gunners
09-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Almost killed me reading that Joe, U woke up in the mornin to eat a fish meal? LOL!

joe d
09-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Almost killed me reading that Joe, U woke up in the mornin to eat a fish meal? LOL!

it was raw salmon usually to lol. thats one of the few things i dont miss. i hated getting up half way through sleep to eat but if i didnt i held about 12 less lbs of mass.

L_Curtis20
12-13-2010, 08:50 AM
the 6 foods thats work , and yes they actually work!

YouTube - Raising the Bar - The 6 foods that work (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnPDWklSLz8)

jnickels
12-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Um the 6 foods that work are used for contest prep. Dave Pulcinella even said they're not an all year round diet deal.

You wanna put on weight quick you're going to have to sacrifice a little fat. You need surplus calories to grow so it should be common sense you're going to put on a fat. Pro bb's even with all the drugs they take still put on fat in the off season. eat until you puke, don't be afraid to get a little gut but make sure you don't let it spill over. Take progress pics and measurements along the way.

needtogetaas
12-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi everyone,

look into programs that make counting your calories a lot more easy bro.

Fitday.com is one and I know there is more like it.
nutritiondata.com is a bad ass program. You can plug in any recipe you have then tell it how many servings you want out of it and it will brake down everything for you. Something that was a big pain in the ass before... Check them both out, learn how to use them and in a matter of no time its like second nature my man.. Once you get a Idea of what you are taking in all the time then you will know what you need more or less off.

miamibodybuilder
01-03-2011, 08:51 PM
just stick to the basics and keep your caloric intake up for lean mass gains. chicken, lean beef, lean pork, egg whites, oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potato, all of these foods are the staples of most bodybuilders. keep it simple and eat enough calories for muscle growth and you should see some good gains. at the same time, dont try to overdue it and just try to gain weight in general. shoot for lean muscle all over spread out evenly. good luck.

Young Gotti
01-04-2011, 09:57 AM
the things that helped me gain weight were, steaks, eggs, natty pb, and almonds....they really seemed to help add mass because of the protein and healthy fats.....as far as carbs, i personally cant eat to much without turning to a balloon so i stick to sweet potatoes and brown rice

daft205
01-04-2011, 12:19 PM
look into programs that make counting your calories a lot more easy bro.

Fitday.com is one and I know there is more like it.
nutritiondata.com is a bad ass program. You can plug in any recipe you have then tell it how many servings you want out of it and it will brake down everything for you. Something that was a big pain in the ass before... Check them both out, learn how to use them and in a matter of no time its like second nature my man.. Once you get a Idea of what you are taking in all the time then you will know what you need more or less off.

This ^ a calorie counting program can be of great assistance in aiding your daily caloric goals- it just helps keep you accountable. I use ifit( iPhone app) and work very well for ^me- started gaining almost immediately once I was hitting my target cals. Something u should look into.

suman12
02-24-2011, 06:40 AM
Along with plenty of protein, fats and carbohydrates are a big part of any weight training (http://how-to-put-on-weight.yourhealthorbit.com/)diet. Avoid sweets and empty calories will give your body the fuel it needs to add body mass and gain muscle (http://how-to-gain-muscle-fast.yourhealthorbit.com/) tissue through the nutritious foods you eat at regular intervals during the day.

BLUEBARON75
03-15-2011, 12:15 AM
be smart about it, have 6 to 7 eating occasions a day with the protein and carb ratios according to your bodyweight, eating clean such as chicken, brown rice, surloin, potatos and other miscellaneous foods.

ZenFit
04-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Hi everyone,

just eat anything and everything, atleast 6 meals a day and continue to bust your ass in the gym 5 days a week and you will be fine..

Abbott
09-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Hi everyone,

I understand your problem one thing I suggest you don't be use supplements because supplements are not much effective for the longer period of time. It effects short period of time. Just use fresh fruits and vegetables and always use best quality food.

mj89
11-20-2011, 05:46 PM
prob would not hurt to get on some creatine. i have had great results with the stuff from here http://www.biostrengthlabs.com/index.html

cheap and lasts a while

txhawkeyes
11-20-2011, 07:22 PM
meal frequency has no effect on metabolism

K, I noticed everyone let that go. Tough to make general statements like that, and just throw em out there, when they are wrong to begin with.

Read up dude. :yep:

txhawkeyes
11-20-2011, 07:27 PM

BIG, not saying you should live on Mac's, but the comment is worth something. I am grabbing a Mac's when I am pinched, and a MacDouble has about 28 g of Protein in it....and I hope a bunch of crazy weird mutant Hormones from whatever they are shooting in those cows... !!!

Or if you try a Chick Filet, their chicken pcs are worth a good amount of protein.

Stick in a protein and milk shake mid AM, or maybe mid PM, that will help you and keep something going into your system. But on the other hand, one mistake I made starting out the first year is relying on those protein shakes too much. A couple a day, and another 4 meals, would be a good mix.

One guy said Species protein....that stuff is about the best I have ever used, ...my body absorbs it all ! With all the others, exp. BSN, I poop half of it out the next day. :byeb:

cakky07
11-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Like Ronnie Coleman said....If you wanna be big....you gotta eat big. I don't think he ever said you have to eat shitty though. Getting to where you want to be will take discipline...bottom line. If you half ass it, you will progress, but much slower than your potential would allow. Eating clean meaning lean meats, complex carbs, veggies, good fats, and avoiding bad fats, preservatives (McDonalds), sugar etc. paired with a good workout/rest plan will get you there the fastest. Eating shitty, having a bad workout/rest plan might get you there, but it will be a long winding road. To live like nobody else, you gotta live like nobody else. If you want to be huge and ripped, you gotta eat clean, lift right and rest. If you just want to be huge, or less than your genetic potential would allow, just keep doing what your doing, but add a couple more cheese burgers per day.:byeb: