PDA

View Full Version : James' Dave Palumbo cutting diet- 9 weeks till potential comp

jamwithtupac
02-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Hi, Im James Fernandes, 22 yr old ex competing powerlifter, I won the world powerlifting champs a few months ago, now converted to bodybuilding, Ive been bodybuilding for 2 months now and have dieted in this time 9 weeks so far, of which has been very strict, Ive dropped from 96kg to now 85kg and about 10% fat levels but that doesnt matter, all its about is coming in ripped as possible for a potential comp in 9 weeks, if need be theres another comp a month after that, Im entering classics class which is a 78kg cut off for my height, so need to get under this which means I should come in heavy, ripped and at the top end of the weight limit

anyway

what I did in the last 9 weeks was 280g protein, 140g carb, 60g fat which is what I finished the low carb diet on, I did 7x a week morning fasted cardio 50 min walk and weights evening 4 x a week

here is the NEW DAVE PALUMBO DIET I started yesterday

DAVE PALUMBO DIET

MEAL 1- 5 WHOLE EGGS+ 2 EGG WHITES

MEAL 2- 1 WHEY SHAKE (50GRAMS) + 1 tablespoon almond butter

MEAL 3- Lean protein meal= TURKEY MINCE (47G PROTEIN)+ 1/3 cup of almonds

MEAL 4- 1 WHEY SHAKE (50 GRAMS) + 1 tablespoon peanut butter

MEAL 5- fat protein meal= 250grams in weight of mince beef= 50gram protein+ 1 tablespoon of walnut oil and 1 cup of brocolli

MEAL 6- 1.5 tuna can + goats cheese+ 1 tablespoon of almond butter

so basically close to 300grams protein, 100grams of fat, what do you think??

cardio will be 50min everyday because I walk to university

I can substitude the almond butter with natural peanut butter as I found some in my area whenever needed

sticking to this diet for 2 weeks solid, then will start a once a week carb refeed

thaAtrain
02-09-2010, 10:16 AM
good stuff!!

Wh1teruss1an
02-09-2010, 10:19 AM
The Palumbo Diet is a great pre-contest diet, James. Good luck in your preparation and contest and welcome to the RX Muscle forums.

jamwithtupac
02-09-2010, 10:54 AM
thanks guys, the reason to changing to this dave palumbo diet was the lower my carbs went the greater my fat loss, and I couldnt really go much lower on carbs so I decided to just go totally keto

please give any advice and tips along the way, the journal will be updated everyday

tyedtye
02-09-2010, 01:30 PM
One think I would just say is to add more fiber bro. I did the diet it worked great and try to use different sources of carbs every week for your cheat meal to see which fills you out the best as I did not carb up enough and after the show when I had a pizza and coke I looked like a winner instead i got third just my take on it hope it helped.

jamwithtupac
02-09-2010, 01:41 PM
One think I would just say is to add more fiber bro. I did the diet it worked great and try to use different sources of carbs every week for your cheat meal to see which fills you out the best as I did not carb up enough and after the show when I had a pizza and coke I looked like a winner instead i got third just my take on it hope it helped.

thanks can you give me an idea of how the carb up every week goes? it confuses me a little, basically youre allowed to cheat ONLY on the last meal of the day once a week (Cheat), and you can eat as much carbs up to 500g in 1 sitting? so most people will obviously try and stuff themselves with as much carbs as possible here! I will stop weekly cheat meals 4 weeks out from comp too like Palumbo advises.

Am I right?

Also ye, I find bananas make me really veiny, probably try haribo too for a comp day as theyre meant to be good, however dave advises to keep the diet the same until comp so protein and fats, and add carbs only if very lean 2 days before the show up to 300gram a day max. My plans not to worry to much about this right now, just come in shredeed and pray Im on form near comp time, then worry about fat and carb load latter.

Im planning to add in fibre 20g a day (10g twice a day morning and night)
fish oils added will be at 4g spread in a day
creatine 5gram morning and 5g post workout

Im currently using walnut oil instead of olive oil as a fat source, not sure if this is ok but I asked dave palumbo in his thread so hopefully get a response

The plan is 4 weeks out from the comp to go to protein/veg days 2 on 2 off alternating with protein/fat to really shred up

cardio plan right now is 50min fasted 7 x a week, and 30min after weight training 4xa week all under 130bpm

tyedtye
02-09-2010, 04:27 PM
It just depends on what works for you I used potatoes to carb up on but they did not get into my system quick enough and did not push that little bit of water I needed out. I a;so kept the sodium and potassium quiet high and sodium loaded and then depleted the last few days. As the sodium depletes you carb load. I do recommend that morning of the show and the night before eat loads of pizza and shit like that if your ultra lean and keep potassium high this will stop you cramping. i also would recommend starting high with the cardio and finishing low ie do two sessions 8 weeks out and from 3-4 weeks out cut it down to 1 session unless your bodyfat is thru the roof. These are what I found worked for me I weight in at just over 200lbs and I am about 5ft 8 on a good day lol and I would decribe my body as ecto meso type more towards ecto. Also try macademia nuts and oil as a great source of fats and also take your fibre seperate from your fats it effects the absorbsion rate or so I have read. This is what worked for me hope it helps bro and I know some will disagree big time with me on what I have written but it was what worked for me

jamwithtupac
02-09-2010, 07:25 PM
It just depends on what works for you I used potatoes to carb up on but they did not get into my system quick enough and did not push that little bit of water I needed out. I a;so kept the sodium and potassium quiet high and sodium loaded and then depleted the last few days. As the sodium depletes you carb load. I do recommend that morning of the show and the night before eat loads of pizza and shit like that if your ultra lean and keep potassium high this will stop you cramping. i also would recommend starting high with the cardio and finishing low ie do two sessions 8 weeks out and from 3-4 weeks out cut it down to 1 session unless your bodyfat is thru the roof. These are what I found worked for me I weight in at just over 200lbs and I am about 5ft 8 on a good day lol and I would decribe my body as ecto meso type more towards ecto. Also try macademia nuts and oil as a great source of fats and also take your fibre seperate from your fats it effects the absorbsion rate or so I have read. This is what worked for me hope it helps bro and I know some will disagree big time with me on what I have written but it was what worked for me

cheers thanks ye, I respond really well to muffins and doughnuts, gives me awesome pumps, think sumin sugary is best before going on stage such as honey and coke arnie style!

I feel way more pumped up generally on this palumbo diet than when on carbs, I use sea salt on all my foods and this keeps my muscles hydrated and really full, also I have no crashes and generally am not tired the whole day, I even dont feel like I need to sleep 8 hours a day and actually am wide awake after 6 hours sleep and have to force myself to sleep bit longer.

so far so good, just boiling my eggs for tomorrow morning, diet is pretty easy to follow and I spend less time cooking which I like. Also I really love the tablespoon of almond butter I eat with the tuna at the end! lol

Not sure if its all in my head but my body looks like its losing fat already!

tyedtye
02-09-2010, 09:22 PM
its not in your head you do drop fat really quick and i found the energy really good too when your doing cardio its really hard to sleep as your body gets fitter and leaner cause metabolic rate go up so much. sea salt is a great idea and keep potassium up too.Macademia is good too great to cook with a bit hard to get here in Ireland but you can get it if you look hard enough bro. Best of luck with it bro hope what I wrote/typed helped. My next comp is not till september time so I started to get fat and happy again lol. if you have any questions just ask may not have all the answers but maybe able to help. Good luck mate

jamwithtupac
02-10-2010, 05:05 AM
its not in your head you do drop fat really quick and i found the energy really good too when your doing cardio its really hard to sleep as your body gets fitter and leaner cause metabolic rate go up so much. sea salt is a great idea and keep potassium up too.Macademia is good too great to cook with a bit hard to get here in Ireland but you can get it if you look hard enough bro. Best of luck with it bro hope what I wrote/typed helped. My next comp is not till september time so I started to get fat and happy again lol. if you have any questions just ask may not have all the answers but maybe able to help. Good luck mate

thanks mate youve been a great help, i did my 50min fasted walk today in the morning, and although I dont use a heart rate monitor, I dont think my HR is at 130bpm, even with my heavyish bag, should I add more things in my bag, when I was 97kg walking up the 1 mile steep hill to uni was tougher, now I dont sweat as much, if any! what do you think? Im 85kg now so sounds like I need to add some weight in my bag

tyedtye
02-10-2010, 09:41 AM
I would not you should not really be tired after the cardio it is just used to burn fat and a fast ish pace I used to walk about 4 miles an hour for 30-40 mins it was what worked for me and rest 1.30 mins rest in between set in the gym I was lifting really heay the whole to the show bar maybe the last week it was more squeezing stuff. and started posing every day 40 mins in the evening about 6 weeks out finded that really bring out the definition

jamwithtupac
02-10-2010, 10:13 AM
I would not you should not really be tired after the cardio it is just used to burn fat and a fast ish pace I used to walk about 4 miles an hour for 30-40 mins it was what worked for me and rest 1.30 mins rest in between set in the gym I was lifting really heay the whole to the show bar maybe the last week it was more squeezing stuff. and started posing every day 40 mins in the evening about 6 weeks out finded that really bring out the definition

Hi ye I wont add any weight, I did cardio on the treadmill today after weights and found I never needed to walk fast to get HR to 130 anyway had a really good weights session look below

morning fasted 50min cardio walk

Shoulders and biceps (all weights in kgs)

front barbell press seated- 20/10, 40/8, 50/8, 60/6, 70/6, 75/6 (5KG PB on 6 rep max), 60/10

behind neck barbell press seated- 40/8, 50/8, 60/6 (pb by 5kg on 6 rep)

db side raises seated- 12.5/10, 17/5,10, 20/12 (pb)
rear delts db work- 12.5 2 sets of 10
bicep curls- EZ bar- 10kg a side/8, 15kg a side/8, 20kg a side/8 (with last 2 spotted)
preacher db curls- 7.5/10, 10/10
curl machine for inner bicep- 2 sets of 10

35min walk at 130bpm

felt stronger today, I know Palumbo says do 10 sets per session or so but I went by feel, and this volume is lot less than I was doing before

tyedtye
02-10-2010, 10:21 AM
I personally use FST 7 and HIT training but I modify the too for me I lift alot of weight I incline rep 160-170kg for rep so I do not do alot of volume but just get to know your body whatever works man just fucking go for it.

jamwithtupac
02-10-2010, 10:51 AM
I personally use FST 7 and HIT training but I modify the too for me I lift alot of weight I incline rep 160-170kg for rep so I do not do alot of volume but just get to know your body whatever works man just fucking go for it.

thats strong stuff! I train HIT dorian yates style really, hence one top set all out on each exercise. I do as many warmup needed, if I feel strong Im not afraid to do another set, eg was meant to stop at 70kg front barbell press but found 6 reps too easy so went heavier

got to go heavy, how many sets in total do you do per part?

tyedtye
02-10-2010, 03:29 PM
do 3-4 exercises 2 sets of each and then 7 sets of 10 reps with 20-30 seconds rest between the last set. for example legs would be unilateral leg extentions 2 sets exercise 2 would be back squats 2 warm ups 2 work sets working up to 220kg then leg press 3 warm up sets 2 work sets then 7 sets of hack squats with 6-8 plates then i go puke lol then hamstrings starting with leg curls then stiff legs then unilateral curls for 7 sets or jeffersons for sevens

jamwithtupac
02-10-2010, 04:23 PM
do 3-4 exercises 2 sets of each and then 7 sets of 10 reps with 20-30 seconds rest between the last set. for example legs would be unilateral leg extentions 2 sets exercise 2 would be back squats 2 warm ups 2 work sets working up to 220kg then leg press 3 warm up sets 2 work sets then 7 sets of hack squats with 6-8 plates then i go puke lol then hamstrings starting with leg curls then stiff legs then unilateral curls for 7 sets or jeffersons for sevens

sounds good do you follow the palumbo diet strictly? for example use his offseason diet with carbs too? the before a bodybuilding contest you just do protein and fats like Im doing now?

Also Im using walnut oil as a fat source, do you think this is ok? If its better to use olive I can use that instead

tyedtye
02-10-2010, 06:11 PM
ya i was under 30g of carbs a day. I just eat normal for about 2 months after a contest and relax then slowly start the diet again I follow more high cars high protein medium fats in off season with about 8 meals and I train legs twice a week. Extra virgin olive oil is better but if you can afford it order macademia nut oil in bulk daves line species do one but you can get it off loads of american websites that what I do.

DAVIDHARDY
02-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Subbed. can't wait to review this thing in the morning, but I'm a tired sob now.

tyedtye
02-10-2010, 09:17 PM
One thing I would also advise do not do below 6-8 reps on any exercise I have no clue what my max incline is and I do not give a fuck anymore. I hit 160-170kg for at least 6 reps it the only way to go leave ego at the door its bodybuilding

jamwithtupac
02-11-2010, 12:43 AM
ye i normally try to hit minimum 6 reps on an exercise and 8 on most sets keep it heavy, Ive had wicked pumps so far on this palumbo diet

guys its halfway through the night, and wasnt even sure so I come on here just to type this question

q) on the palumbo cutting diet are you allowed to have a whey protein shake halfway during the night ? on its own or with oil or are you not allowed to?

DAVIDHARDY
02-11-2010, 04:51 AM
No on the shake. The diet looks good. You have plenty of room for adjustment when fat loss starts to stall. To each his own but I train 4 to 6 reps.

jamwithtupac
02-11-2010, 06:17 AM
No on the shake. The diet looks good. You have plenty of room for adjustment when fat loss starts to stall. To each his own but I train 4 to 6 reps.

cool thanks, I didnt have a shake today and wont from now on in the night.

Yeah sometimes I can go to 4 as I had a powerlifting background and know certain things worked eg heavy low rep deads have packed on the size on my back well. Been deadlifting end of a workout for last 3 weeks with bhigher reps 6-10 and thats worked well, but recently stalled, so lookin to hit some heavy triples at start of workout on nx backworkout as I change things up once I see things have stalled, I dont like creating any mental barriers!! at least now when I deadlift start of workout, I have no clue of what to expect in terms of strength etc

hardy, this diet says you keep the food the same as I have written out and just 1)up the cardio first 2) up fat burners (not using any, was using eca stack but not now 3) then decrease food, would you decrease fats or protein first?

Im burning fat fast now so will leave it the same cardio is as follows like I said

50min fasted 7 x a week (walk to uni), 30min after weights, and generally being active, Im not afraid to go for a 30 min walk to 1 hr walk again if Im bored as it helps me relax too

Ill get new pics soon but Im at my leanest and I think fairly on course for 9 weeks time comp,

Con
02-11-2010, 08:21 AM
Good to see your diet is going well James and that you are asking a million and one questions as always lol.

jamwithtupac
02-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Good to see your diet is going well James and that you are asking a million and one questions as always lol.

Lol, as always Con, got to be perfect as can be Ive spent hours writing stuff from dave palumbos threads and incorporating it all into my routine, happy birthday to your wife too! Good luck with your bb comp

DAVIDHARDY
02-11-2010, 07:38 PM
cool thanks, I didnt have a shake today and wont from now on in the night.

Yeah sometimes I can go to 4 as I had a powerlifting background and know certain things worked eg heavy low rep deads have packed on the size on my back well. Been deadlifting end of a workout for last 3 weeks with bhigher reps 6-10 and thats worked well, but recently stalled, so lookin to hit some heavy triples at start of workout on nx backworkout as I change things up once I see things have stalled, I dont like creating any mental barriers!! at least now when I deadlift start of workout, I have no clue of what to expect in terms of strength etc

hardy, this diet says you keep the food the same as I have written out and just 1)up the cardio first 2) up fat burners (not using any, was using eca stack but not now 3) then decrease food, would you decrease fats or protein first?

Im burning fat fast now so will leave it the same cardio is as follows like I said

50min fasted 7 x a week (walk to uni), 30min after weights, and generally being active, Im not afraid to go for a 30 min walk to 1 hr walk again if Im bored as it helps me relax too

Ill get new pics soon but Im at my leanest and I think fairly on course for 9 weeks time comp,

When you max out the cardio and run out of other things to do, then you can adjust it a little. I didn't figure up the macros, but they look a little high just at a glimpse. It's still working, so don't change a thing. I would decrease fats before protein. Just take them out slowly. I did my own type of pro/veg deal where i cycled fat rather than cutting it completely out. I would cut it in half for a dat and then in half again the next dat, then go back to full fat, then cycle that again and then have a cheat meal. I never did cut out my cheats. I think they are too important for a natty to be taking them out. Looking good man, keep it up.

DAVIDHARDY
02-11-2010, 07:43 PM
When you max out the cardio and run out of other things to do, then you can adjust it a little. I didn't figure up the macros, but they look a little high just at a glimpse. It's still working, so don't change a thing. I would decrease fats before protein. Just take them out slowly. I did my own type of pro/veg deal where i cycled fat rather than cutting it completely out. I would cut it in half for a dat and then in half again the next dat, then go back to full fat, then cycle that again and then have a cheat meal. I never did cut out my cheats. I think they are too important for a natty to be taking them out. Looking good man, keep it up.

Nevermind, I was thinking you wrote 2tbsp of the butters at a time instead of one. You have a little room, but if you're going to get down to 170, then you can drop your protein intake down to around 260 and still be good with your fats where they are. It's gonna be a bitch dropping 40lbs in just 9 weeks, but with enough hard work and discipline, you can do it. You just cannot slack at all. Good luck man.

jamwithtupac
02-12-2010, 02:50 AM
hardy,no way do i need to lseo 40lbs, im currently 187lb at my lightest relly, and when Im about 170lb I should be ripped to shreds then, got all abs and rib cage and side abs showing reight now, so another 7 or 8kg i should be fine lol no way 40, I would be stupid to lose that much in 9 weeks

ill keep protein at 300grams as I ate that much on a low carb diet few until last week relly so just stick to that and decrease them over time, dont need to right now, bodys changing everyday!!

jamwithtupac
02-12-2010, 04:07 AM
my protein levels are probs lower thsn 300g, worked out to be 275g or so eggs=45g, tuna can only have 1 at the end thats 30g protein, so its less anyway

DAVIDHARDY
02-12-2010, 05:46 AM
Oh I was just going off your numbers in your 1st post. I thought you were 211 lol. My bad.

jamwithtupac
02-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Oh I was just going off your numbers in your 1st post. I thought you were 211 lol. My bad.

lol nah i was, i was a fatty 105kg at one point as my buddy con knows!! lol now am 85kg, and be happy to get as close as poss to 75kg but I think I can come in heavier ripped for the comp

my only prob is finding a 1 min posing routine can you guys help me out please? even if you give me the name of the tune you did? and a video clip

jamwithtupac
02-12-2010, 08:30 AM
Friday 12th Feb 2010

back workout (focussing on lower lats dorian style)

wide grips chins thumbless- (bodyweight, all reps strict no leg movement and really squeezing at the top)- 15 reps all out, then got to 23 reps, then up to 32 reps altogether! felt good and easier, really getting the hang of these now,

close grip chins palms facing each other- 2 sets of 7 reps all out (strict)

Deadlifts- normally do these at end but put them near the beginning for now- 60/6, 100/5, 140/4, 180/3, 200/4 (wasnt too bad just getting the hang of these again, havent gone above 180kg for 1.5months), then I rest and do a big dropset- 180/8, 140/8, 100/10 without rest= tough! (no bouncing on reps, all dead stops)

underhand yates rows- 60/8, 80/8, 90/7 hard, 80/8 (could really squeeze lats on these better than ever)

db row- strict and contracted at top- 32.5/8, 42.5/8, 47.5/10

wide grip cable row- 3 sets of 10

underhand cable pulldown 3 sets of 8

calf- 3 sets of 10

38 min cardio at the end at 130bpm

party time later, going to a club, no drinking though promise :) really gona feel this workout in the back tomorrow I think!

jamwithtupac
02-13-2010, 07:39 AM
not sure why but my arms are under 16inch now, they were 17.25inch when i was over 95kg but im now under 85kg im guessing, im curious to know ill weigh myself tomorrow,

is this anything to worry about, i have lost fat but not sure why its that small drinking lot of water because maybe dehydrated from clubbing last night

DAVIDHARDY
02-13-2010, 07:42 AM
They're just flat due to the keto. As long as your strength is still there you're fine.

jamwithtupac
02-13-2010, 08:02 AM
They're just flat due to the keto. As long as your strength is still there you're fine.

how many sets did yuo do on this diet, i think palumdo says do 10 sets on this diet, what you think?

i normally do

5 exercise 3-4 sets on legs n back

3 exercises 3-4 sets on small muscles arm tris

including warmup i hit 1 top set per exercise only though, pyramid in weight to a top set

DAVIDHARDY
02-13-2010, 08:23 AM
I train heavy, so not many sets. I'll do anywhere from 3-6 exercises for 2 sets of 4-8 reps. I usually train do 4 exercises for 2 sets of 4-6, but some days I'm dragging and others I'm feeling great. I listen to my body and do what it is capable of that day.

jamwithtupac
02-13-2010, 08:33 AM
I train heavy, so not many sets. I'll do anywhere from 3-6 exercises for 2 sets of 4-8 reps. I usually train do 4 exercises for 2 sets of 4-6, but some days I'm dragging and others I'm feeling great. I listen to my body and do what it is capable of that day.##so ur only doing about 6 to 12 sets per workout including warmup then

you deadlift warmup like 200lbs then jump to 400lbs ?? so thats 2 sets?

i cant wait for a carb refeed, just missing tasty food but thats the tough part of this diet

DAVIDHARDY
02-13-2010, 08:40 AM
##so ur only doing about 6 to 12 sets per workout including warmup then

you deadlift warmup like 200lbs then jump to 400lbs ?? so thats 2 sets?

i cant wait for a carb refeed, just missing tasty food but thats the tough part of this diet

Yeah. The last back workout I did was 16 sets plus 2 warmups. I factor in everything as its own body part. Lats get their own workout, mid and lower back it own, and then an exercise for traps. When I do deads, I simply warm up with a set of 2 plates, then 3, then 4, then I do my 2 work sets. Sometimes I warm up with another set or one less, but it depends on how I'm feeling. If I feel that I can pull some serious weight, then I don't mess around with warming up any more. The same goes with if I'm not feeling it, I'll get another warm up.

jamwithtupac
02-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Yeah. The last back workout I did was 16 sets plus 2 warmups. I factor in everything as its own body part. Lats get their own workout, mid and lower back it own, and then an exercise for traps. When I do deads, I simply warm up with a set of 2 plates, then 3, then 4, then I do my 2 work sets. Sometimes I warm up with another set or one less, but it depends on how I'm feeling. If I feel that I can pull some serious weight, then I don't mess around with warming up any more. The same goes with if I'm not feeling it, I'll get another warm up.

ye for lats, im doing different tpes of chins, wide close,
for middle back a row barbell and cable
for lower back just deadlifts and hypers I added in

Im going to reduce the volume a lot in nx sessions, I train HIT style too hit 1 top set, but I never count sets

lol i think I might have been dehydrated or so, Ive drunk so much water in the last 2 or 3 hours since waking up and I havent gone to the toilet that much so I can tell the bodys absorbing it

my abs are in teh best condition and overall fat levels, however i still have fat on the hips and looking a bit soft around there!! so annoying

DAVIDHARDY
02-13-2010, 09:29 AM
I think Mentzer said it "You can train long or you can train hard, but you cannot train long and hard"

jamwithtupac
02-14-2010, 05:42 AM
I think Mentzer said it "You can train long or you can train hard, but you cannot train long and hard"

ye guess this applied to bodybuilding relly, I trained 1.5-2 hour sessions in my powerlifting days and so did some of the top world powerlifters I trained with one deadlifting close to 900lbs lol. Mentzers theories revolutionizsed training but I prefer Dorians methods which I try to go by

jamwithtupac
02-14-2010, 05:57 AM
how to you guys intake psysillium husk? Im taking 1.5gram scoop of it at the end of the night but may need to increase it I think, is it ok to take in the morning

DAVIDHARDY
02-14-2010, 08:03 AM
I use a tbsp of it in each of my two shakes.

jamwithtupac
02-14-2010, 10:46 AM
cool thanks hardy, need to up it bit more just dont want to go overboard as its like a laxative

Bench day kept this short and hopefully more intense than before so less sets

Sun 13th Feb 2010

walked to gym 50min walk

very slight decline barbell 40/8, 60/8, 80/8, 100/6, 120/3 all out slow and controlled

incline db- 27.5x8, 37.5x8, 45x6 PB at this weight maybe?

flat db flyes- 22.5x8, 27.5x8, 30x8

lieing down db skullcrusher- 12.5x10, 15x10, 17x10

tricep pushdown- 2 sets last set a tough all out 10 reps

bicep curl (db)- 12.5x10, 17.5x10 each arm slow negative yates stylee

cardio 30 min walk at 130bpm on treadmill at the end

felt pretty strong overall, obviously not as strong as I use to be

was thinking of taking up boxing once a week but not sure if I can with a no carb diet which sucks! was thinking if its possible after a refeed? once a week

DAVIDHARDY
02-14-2010, 10:56 AM
You can do that high intensity stuff after your refeed or you can use a TKD instead of the regular keto diet. Keep the fiber in the 30ish range for colon health. I think when you start getting really high doses that's when you run into blocking absorption of fat and other nutrients.

jamwithtupac
02-14-2010, 11:09 AM
You can do that high intensity stuff after your refeed or you can use a TKD instead of the regular keto diet. Keep the fiber in the 30ish range for colon health. I think when you start getting really high doses that's when you run into blocking absorption of fat and other nutrients.

ye well the boxing is once a week on a friday or sunday so could arrange refeed on fridays, boxing at 6.30pm so could i start refeed from morning?

Im not sure how the refeed work on palumbo diet? are you only meant to have 1 meal of carbs up to 500gram in one sitting? not spread throughout the day

forgot to add, i weighed in 85.1kg today after eating 7 eggs in morning and after drinking 2 litres of water, (weighed myself after training) so at my lightest about 1kg down from start of diet so boom!

DAVIDHARDY
02-14-2010, 11:12 AM
I like having mine at the end of the day. If you do the boxing the day after your cheat you'll be just fine. I have no limits when I cheat dude so I just pig out lol.

jamwithtupac
02-14-2010, 12:11 PM
I like having mine at the end of the day. If you do the boxing the day after your cheat you'll be just fine. I have no limits when I cheat dude so I just pig out lol.

yeah, if you have carbs at end of the day, do you basically eat as much as possible in 30 min or so or spread throughout 2 hours ?? do you try to eat close to 500g carbs? I use to eat 500gram plus carbs once a week refeed pretty much all throughout my low carb diet in the last 10 weeks, loved pigging out and worked fine

if i have a refeed on friday, id probably just refeed throughout the whole day instead of just one meal, not sure if I can eat 500g at one sitting, and I doubt the body can actually absorb that in 1 sitting

i think I could make my refeed on a thursday which is also my rest day, so do it then, then just train on friday along with the boxing,

I always wanted to box when younger but mum wouldnt let me, it was actually my dream to when I was 11 or so

DAVIDHARDY
02-14-2010, 01:24 PM
I've had cheats that lasted for 5 to 6 hours and reached over 1000 carbs. I'm a bad example when it comes to a moderate cheat lol.

jamwithtupac
02-14-2010, 07:10 PM
I've had cheats that lasted for 5 to 6 hours and reached over 1000 carbs. I'm a bad example when it comes to a moderate cheat lol.

lol my refeed days in the past have been as follows

4 muffins
5 doughnuts
4 servings of white rice
2 slice of bread every hour throughout the day
cookies
chocolate

I just eat whatever, and it really helps me pump up the next day bigtime, I think Ill play around with a few select carbs on refeed day so I see what sort of pumps I get the day after in prep for a comp

thanks for replying hardy its appreciated, sometimes when people post on some other forums it starts slowing down and then the thread just comes to a hault, but as long as I get some sort of feedback whenever really Im happy to keep this thread going

Con
02-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Keep it up James stay away from the measuring tape it will only fuck with your head.
No more silly high cheat meals either, have one nice meal per week ie starter main course reasonable desert.
You can eat all the crap you want once these few weeks are up.

I am 8 weeks out now my self and i am not doing any cheat meal days at all. Higher carb days yes, but no garbage any more...

jamwithtupac
02-15-2010, 04:42 AM
Keep it up James stay away from the measuring tape it will only fuck with your head.
No more silly high cheat meals either, have one nice meal per week ie starter main course reasonable desert.
You can eat all the crap you want once these few weeks are up.

I am 8 weeks out now my self and i am not doing any cheat meal days at all. Higher carb days yes, but no garbage any more...

cheers, ye not worrying about measuring tape but going to monitor weight once a week electronically on the same scales to make sure IM losing weight fast enough

Isnt the point of a refeed to get like 500g carbs in ? to just really force carbs and increase glycogen stores since im on the paluimbo diet

I think on the rebound when I bulk up IM going to stay as lean as possible because it makes it easier when dieting and just monitor everything I eat like I do now, poewrlifting days I just ate whatever really only counted protein but still had no clue about carbs or fats in my diet

DAVIDHARDY
02-15-2010, 07:38 AM
The main reason for the cheat is to keep your thyroid doing its thing. I had a big one yesterday. Had a dozen cookies pasta and bread sticks and popcorn. Mmmmmm

jamwithtupac
02-15-2010, 01:05 PM
mon 14th feb 2010

50 min morning fasted cardio

legs- heavy leg extention to failure, back squat to 130x5 beltless, leg press to 200kg altogether for 10 ham curls last set failure, calfs,

cardio 45 min walk at under 130bpm

jamwithtupac
02-15-2010, 01:19 PM
hardy did you use a fat burner when you did keto diet, and which one??

cardio is going to be 50min fasted, 45 min after weights from now on for the next week

bgoo101
02-16-2010, 01:39 AM
I agree with Con. keep it clean ! smash up carbs over a hour last meal shoot for as much ya can ..

Dont box in prep might injure yourself.

Try clen for fat burning , helps with appetite as ur not as hungry..

shoot for 12-15 reps i start getting rounder muscle bellies im on keto now two weeks looking round still from the training... slow it down feel the muscle.. tight squeeze..

Once your very lean play with ur re-feeds go 3 meals see how ur body re-acts..

good luck ill be watching ...

jamwithtupac
02-16-2010, 06:04 AM
I agree with Con. keep it clean ! smash up carbs over a hour last meal shoot for as much ya can ..

Dont box in prep might injure yourself.

Try clen for fat burning , helps with appetite as ur not as hungry..

shoot for 12-15 reps i start getting rounder muscle bellies im on keto now two weeks looking round still from the training... slow it down feel the muscle.. tight squeeze..

Once your very lean play with ur re-feeds go 3 meals see how ur body re-acts..

good luck ill be watching ...

I definetely feel the muscle in training its all slow and contraction, basically train dorian yates style, heavy and last set to failure love it!!

if i plan to start once a week boxing on a friday im gona have to have 60 gram of starchy carbs beforehand on refeed day otherwise il b burning muscle i think, and then i can have the refeed meal after like you suggested ok??

Con
02-16-2010, 08:46 AM
I definetely feel the muscle in training its all slow and contraction, basically train dorian yates style, heavy and last set to failure love it!!

if i plan to start once a week boxing on a friday im gona have to have 60 gram of starchy carbs beforehand on refeed day otherwise il b burning muscle i think, and then i can have the refeed meal after like you suggested ok??
Training like Dorian Yates would be a very bad idea in the last few weeks of prep. Now if you are talking about training to positive failure with perfect form that's fine but that's not Yates training lol.

IMO up your volume at this stage to 9-12 working sets per body group keep reps 6-10 hold each contraction for a full second and squeez.

Don't worry about a bit of muscle loss it is going to happen it happens to every one but getting in proper shape happens very rarely. Any way you are doing classic class it is not size its all about definition which gives the illusion of size.

I think people start getting a bit OTT with "refeed" and "cheat" meals. You really don't need as much as you think. If you get drawn looking in the mirror and don't feel great that is pefectly normal and is what you are trying to achieve. On the keto diet most people end up eating only protein and veg on some days if you can keep the fat in and keep losing you are doing great.

As far as thyroid, if you are not taking any thyroid meds then get some kelp supplument any thing with a high dose of iodine and take 200mcg of that every day that will keep the thyroid ticking along nicely.

jamwithtupac
02-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Training like Dorian Yates would be a very bad idea in the last few weeks of prep. Now if you are talking about training to positive failure with perfect form that's fine but that's not Yates training lol.

IMO up your volume at this stage to 9-12 working sets per body group keep reps 6-10 hold each contraction for a full second and squeez.

Don't worry about a bit of muscle loss it is going to happen it happens to every one but getting in proper shape happens very rarely. Any way you are doing classic class it is not size its all about definition which gives the illusion of size.

I think people start getting a bit OTT with "refeed" and "cheat" meals. You really don't need as much as you think. If you get drawn looking in the mirror and don't feel great that is pefectly normal and is what you are trying to achieve. On the keto diet most people end up eating only protein and veg on some days if you can keep the fat in and keep losing you are doing great.

As far as thyroid, if you are not taking any thyroid meds then get some kelp supplument any thing with a high dose of iodine and take 200mcg of that every day that will keep the thyroid ticking along nicely.

thanks con, ye, I think I training yates style last set to failure, also have a spotter on ez bar bicep curls, and yes all weights are held at contraction, I dont even care about how strong I am right now, and yes reps are around 6-10, sometimes 12-15 depending on the muscle but mainly 6-10

the leg separations are starting to come in, i feel like Im getting leaner everyday on this palumbo diet

yeah I know about the pv days, 2 days pv 2 days protein and fats, I read its ok to do this as you have enough fat stores for days........ Ill probably have to do this to get really shredded as I havent been super ripped in years so it might take that to get there.....

Im at my lightest weight, but I feel and look bigger, probably an illusion its only if I get the measuring tape out i know im smaller, but you cant really tell but many have commented im a lot slimmer, still around 18-20lb to get off me and I should be ok

Oh yeah Ive gone back to implementing different types of chinups, wide thumbless, closegrip palm facing thumbless and underhand grip and this is really starting to transform my back! my favourite exercise stopped doing these for years!!

jamwithtupac
02-16-2010, 12:51 PM
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/categories.asp?cid=160&searchterm=iodine&rdcnt=1

is any of these ok, its kelp?? but its in 30mg tabs

con I dont think you have a contest thread up?

exit2010
02-16-2010, 01:02 PM
this thread is just another cruel joke played on Will Harris. as soon as will takes the nuts off his chin, he will tell you.

DAVIDHARDY
02-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Ummm what?

exit2010
02-16-2010, 01:18 PM
nevermind . . . if you don't already get it explaining it won't make it any funnier for you.

DAVIDHARDY
02-16-2010, 01:21 PM
I c

Con
02-16-2010, 02:51 PM
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/categories.asp?cid=160&searchterm=iodine&rdcnt=1

is any of these ok, its kelp?? but its in 30mg tabs

con I dont think you have a contest thread up?
It's the amount of iodine i am talking about not the amount of kelp.

Nah mate i have no interest in putting up a log any where this year:)

Lets get some up to date pics up....

jamwithtupac
02-16-2010, 03:27 PM
It's the amount of iodine i am talking about not the amount of kelp.

Nah mate i have no interest in putting up a log any where this year:)

Lets get some up to date pics up....

yeah will get some new pics, i lost my fone so I have to find a decent camera anyway so will take pics asap!! think I can get pics up 2mo, just asked a mate for her camera!

barbellbarbie
02-16-2010, 04:23 PM
this thread is just another cruel joke played on Will Harris. as soon as will takes the nuts off his chin, he will tell you.
oh.. wow.. thank god the man doesnt use the internet much he would have all kinds of theories on why you are his new sworn enemy..

jamwithtupac
02-18-2010, 04:31 PM
sorry for no posting for a while, been busy with uni work really, anyway not much to write about diet has been exactly the same as I posted and training has been good, pics to come!

also i ordered kelp as con said to keep thyroid ticking over, I didnt realise a high fat diet could do this so I ordered it asap although I have been using sea salt on all my foods I will supplement with kelp at 300mg a day thats all

also upped my pysillium jusk to 3 scoops a day to 6 grams or so and thats worked fine for me........

jamwithtupac
02-19-2010, 05:30 AM
ok sorry guys, this site is not uploading pics, add me on facebook, I put them on my profile, just 2 1 front and 1 back.

James Fernandes

add me

DAVIDHARDY
02-19-2010, 05:47 AM
You have to put them in paint and resize them to post them most of the time.

jamwithtupac
02-19-2010, 11:52 AM
ahhh thats gona take time, not good with that sort of stuff, tried to do something similar before on paint n gave up, add me on facebook anyway to anyone here I dont mind, hardy including you

todays workout was as followed

50min walk to uni fasted

Frid 18th Feb 2010

back workout

1) wide grip chins thumbless got to 52 reps in 6 sets with very strict form bodyweight, rest between sets was around 30 seconds

2) t bar chins 3 sets to failure around 8-10 each

3) Block deadlifts bar was mid shin- worked towards 200kgx3

4) DB rows- 3 sets build up to 50x10 each arm slow and contracted at top for a bit

5) T bar rows worked to 120kg worth of plates for 10 reps

6)cable row with long bar 4 sets

7) underhand grip pulldowns 4 sets

8) abs

15 min walk at the end, do the rest of the cardio later in the day

felt good, my training partner is now heavier than me! lol I weighed in at 84kg thats a 1kg drop from last week

jamwithtupac
02-19-2010, 01:00 PM
also worked out im not on 100g fat i was on 120grams fat a dayah well fat loss still occuring, its 120 even though I follow the above so I just go by portions now as long as I lose 1kg a week its all good i guess, but I will reduce my fat cals by 10grams at least and reduce protein a bit

Con
02-19-2010, 01:14 PM
ok sorry guys, this site is not uploading pics, add me on facebook, I put them on my profile, just 2 1 front and 1 back.

James Fernandes

add me
He is looking on track at this stage.
Just has to be careful he doesn't over do it and burn off too much muscle in the past few weeks which easily happens.
Luckly you don't have to be heavily muscled for the classic class.

I think you are doing great James the transformation you have made from the fatty powerlifter to a nice balanced lean physique has impressed me a lot! Having done it my self i know how hard it is.
I am sure you will be staying leaner like my self after the show.
Also be careful with eating after the show, i put on close to 40lb in 5 days and suffered very badly for 2 weeks. Having to change your shirt 10 times per night because you are having such bad cold sweats is not nice.....
I suggest you keep your cardio routine up for a month after the show while you adjust to a higher calorie diet.

jamwithtupac
02-19-2010, 01:21 PM
He is looking on track at this stage.
Just has to be careful he doesn't over do it and burn off too much muscle in the past few weeks which easily happens.
Luckly you don't have to be heavily muscled for the classic class.

I think you are doing great James the transformation you have made from the fatty powerlifter to a nice balanced lean physique has impressed me a lot! Having done it my self i know how hard it is.
I am sure you will be staying leaner like my self after the show.
Also be careful with eating after the show, i put on close to 40lb in 5 days and suffered very badly for 2 weeks. Having to change your shirt 10 times per night because you are having such bad cold sweats is not nice.....
I suggest you keep your cardio routine up for a month after the show while you adjust to a higher calorie diet.

hey ye definetely will stay as lean as poss, my plans to not get above 90kg in offseason, Im looking forward to the rebound when the large influx of kcals come in from the food.

What you think of my back routine above?? I do more than most but my body handles it and been doing it for over a year like this, I never have counted sets or anything and go by feel relly but go heavy as poss with good form, form on everyting is tightening up, I really think the chins have developed my back better, my back use to be pretty dam weak last yr if u saw my pics on fb con and it looks one of my more better parts

Yeah, my cardio atm is 1 hr 35 min in total which I just upped from 1 hr 20min, and gona leave it at this for the nx week, and week after just decrease the fat and protein kcals,

I feel like my body is transforming everyday, with less fat each day on me, its wierd..... ye I know I probs have lost muscle as inevitable when dieting however as long as I maintain and build strength (which I have recently) then I will have kept most of it from now untill the end I hope!

REFEED DAY TOMO- IM not gona go crazy anymore on refeeds, heres the planned meals

white rice,
saag paneer (asian cheese dish with spinach, tastes so nice)
1 small yogurt
1 muller rice
3 bananas

and whatever extra I feel like during the day but it wont by much more than that, no doughnuts, no other dirty stuff............any suggestions? ill see what the pumps are like the , as I need a carb up plan for comp anyway

Con
02-19-2010, 02:20 PM
I can't comment on the food as that is so individual it is impossible to say unless some one had been coaching you the whole time.

Back work out looks ok.... i would drop the heavy deadlifts now.
I don't deadlift up to the show as it makes my waist a good 1-2 inches smaller. What i do instead to keep the spinal erector thickness is reverse hyper machine but most gyms don't have this so i would stick to weighted hyper extensions.

My last back work out went like this....had to check my notes for the #
Nautilus pull over machine 1 set 8 45lb plates in total for 7 reps
Reverse grip pull down 1 set 300lb for 9 reps
Barbell row 1 set 315lb for 13 (i use no body movement at this stage or i would go a little heavier)
Shrug machine 1 set 4 plates in total for 30 reps (traps are too strong for my shoulders that said my back is bigger than the rest of me also lol)
Reverse hyper machine 1 set 800lb 20 reps

Obviously i did a few warm up sets before each working set and i took each set either to positive failure or 1 rep short.

Just train to maintain muscle at this stage mate.

Carbing up for the contest should not involve yogurt lol try oats banana and white rice that worked well for me.

jamwithtupac
02-19-2010, 03:00 PM
I can't comment on the food as that is so individual it is impossible to say unless some one had been coaching you the whole time.

Back work out looks ok.... i would drop the heavy deadlifts now.
I don't deadlift up to the show as it makes my waist a good 1-2 inches smaller. What i do instead to keep the spinal erector thickness is reverse hyper machine but most gyms don't have this so i would stick to weighted hyper extensions.

My last back work out went like this....had to check my notes for the #
Nautilus pull over machine 1 set 8 45lb plates in total for 7 reps
Reverse grip pull down 1 set 300lb for 9 reps
Barbell row 1 set 315lb for 13 (i use no body movement at this stage or i would go a little heavier)
Shrug machine 1 set 4 plates in total for 30 reps (traps are too strong for my shoulders that said my back is bigger than the rest of me also lol)
Reverse hyper machine 1 set 800lb 20 reps

Obviously i did a few warm up sets before each working set and i took each set either to positive failure or 1 rep short.

Just train to maintain muscle at this stage mate.

Carbing up for the contest should not involve yogurt lol try oats banana and white rice that worked well for me.

yeah im just wanting to maintain muscle, any strength increase is a bonus but I dont train much at all below 8 reps a set on most things, Ive been wearing a tight belt on everything all deadlift sets, all squat sets in the last 2 months to keep my waist really small and tight which helped. Ive also had to stop HEAVY ab work due to the "power muscle belly" it tends to give, and mostly do weightless or no more than a 10kg plate on ab works.

Oh ye my deadlift training in the last 6 weeks was building to a top set and a drop set each set to failure 180 to failure, 140, then 100 so the sets werent always heavy, I was cautious of going super low reps on everything tbh as im not powerlifting anymore......

ye i train basically the same way as you, train to 1 all out top set to failure best way, if I feel the last set was too "easy" Ill do no more than 1 more set to really push the body....

cheers banana, white rice and oats it is!! any simple sugars for a carb up on comp day???

jamwithtupac
02-20-2010, 07:18 PM
saturday 19th feb 2010

no cardio today at all, just want to give legs a break and today was a refeed day, first after 2 weeks being on the palumbo diet, I ate my normal protein and fat meals until 9.30pm and from until 12 midnight thats a 2.5hr window I ate this, Im so full right now and got sugarrush, feel drunk

lot of white rice guessing around 150grams carbs at the very max
couple of flapjacks around 100grams carbs
2 bananas-40 gram
1 muller rice- 30gram
1 tiramasu- 20gram

340grams of carbs so far, and I still got my 2 pizzas to finish off for the planned refeed, gona skip that and save that until nx weeks refeed instead

want to see how my body reacts to white rice tbh

im giving it 2 hours before I sleep so 2am to let the food digest, but dont think it matters much if I sleep now because the carbs are going to be absorbed and not stored as fat hopefully!

jamwithtupac
02-21-2010, 09:40 AM
sun 21st feb 2010

I think im getting my dates wrong but todays is right!

walked to uni gym 50 min

chest and triceps

smith machine incline 30 degree- 40/8, 60/8, 80/8, 100/4, 90/7 to 70, failure plus rest pause

weighted dips- 10kg plate for 8, 15kg plate 2sets to failure around 8 followed by weightless dips to failure

machine press- 3 sets

cable flyes from bottom up 4 sets of 12

tricep rope pulldowns- 4 sets

behind neck to 15kg db for 10 each arm

bicep curls to 15kg for 10 strict slow reps

cardio 30min at under 130bpm

felt really pumped, flat bench is a waste of time for bb so dont do it anymore, and feel chest is responding better to incline, decline work

going to do some skipping in evening to boost metabolism, since had lot of carbs yday it will be a good change cardio wise

feeling so much leaner today its surprised me, IM going to reduce fat 10gram to 110 a day now

jamwithtupac
02-21-2010, 02:26 PM
hi guys, Im about 7 weeks out from a potential bodybuilding comp, been on palumbo diet for the last 2 weeks and just had a carb refeed yesterday, looking good now, but just wondering when do you implement the protein and veg days where you go 2 days protein+veg followed by 2 days of protein+fat and so on

I read the body has fat stores for 2 weeks so in theory we can do this whenever we want to burn fat quicker, do you think I can start doing this now?? I want to be in super duper ripped condition really or maybe more like 4 weeks out?

so on protein+veg days whats your diet plan? no egg yolks, no nuts, no extra olive oil no peanut butter, add another veg serving? how many?

Con
02-22-2010, 05:48 PM
hi guys, Im about 7 weeks out from a potential bodybuilding comp, been on palumbo diet for the last 2 weeks and just had a carb refeed yesterday, looking good now, but just wondering when do you implement the protein and veg days where you go 2 days protein+veg followed by 2 days of protein+fat and so on

I read the body has fat stores for 2 weeks so in theory we can do this whenever we want to burn fat quicker, do you think I can start doing this now?? I want to be in super duper ripped condition really or maybe more like 4 weeks out?

so on protein+veg days whats your diet plan? no egg yolks, no nuts, no extra olive oil no peanut butter, add another veg serving? how many?
Just drop one of the fats out for the day see how that goes such as the peanut butter with one of your meals don't just drop all the fat.

DAVIDHARDY
02-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Great advice con. I'd suggest dropping the peanut butter from your shake that you have after your workout when you start doing it.

jamwithtupac
02-23-2010, 10:45 AM
I wouldnt drop fat from whey just because I dont want an insulin spike........ Ill drop it elsewhere

weight is now 83.3kg morning weight so down another kg, definetely leaner, I changed my diet by dropping 1 yolk from eggs so 4 whole eggs 3 whites, and by going from 1.5 spoon of PB to 1 and by dropping cashew nuts from 1/2 cup to 1/3 cup as they are very fatty, so thats a drop of 15grams of fat from that which places me closer to 100grams fat a day.

Also dropped from 1.5 spoon of PB top 1 = -4grams so basically around 180kcals are dropped, just because I dnt want it too high

fats are close to 100 exact now

did 50 min morning fasted cardio today

Legs

did calf work after morning cardio before uni lecture

then did legs few hours later

leg extension 5 heavy ass sets

back squat to 120kg/6 close stance with heels 0n an edge, mainly worked with 110kg for sets of 8 and really squeezing the thighs deep

front squat worked to 70kg for 6, but worked around 60kg for sets of 8 deep squats on the smith machine

kai greene style ham work

ham curls 5 sets

stiff legs to 130x8 strict reps

leg extensions again 5 sets

abs- handing leg raises, ball work, side bends to 45kg db for 20 reps altogether

legs are so pumped its crazy!

finished workout in 1 hr 30

DAVIDHARDY
02-23-2010, 10:47 AM
That's true.

Con
02-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Great advice con. I'd suggest dropping the peanut butter from your shake that you have after your workout when you start doing it.
Thanks brother!

James i am currently doing several very low calorie days in other words 1500-1900 calorie days followed by a heavy carb up day. I am not recommending this i just want to let you know how hard it is to have such low days and how rapidly the weight falls off you doing this (i was 22lb over at exactly 7 weeks out and need to speed it up even if it means a little muscle coming off....i was 203lb completely decarbed 1 week out last year this year i am larger but looking to be leaner and weigh in at 198lb). Going from 120 fat even down to 100 fat is a big drop at this stage.

Great sign that you are still getting great pumps give it a few more weeks and all you feel is pain yet no pump haha.

Keep it going, what do you need to weigh in at for the classic?

Also consider dropping the whey shake in favor for a real meal as this will keep you feeling fuller for longer. 8 ounces of chicken fills you up better than 2 scoops whey isolate......

jamwithtupac
02-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks brother!

James i am currently doing several very low calorie days in other words 1500-1900 calorie days followed by a heavy carb up day. I am not recommending this i just want to let you know how hard it is to have such low days and how rapidly the weight falls off you doing this (i was 22lb over at exactly 7 weeks out and need to speed it up even if it means a little muscle coming off....i was 203lb completely decarbed 1 week out last year this year i am larger but looking to be leaner and weigh in at 198lb). Going from 120 fat even down to 100 fat is a big drop at this stage.

Great sign that you are still getting great pumps give it a few more weeks and all you feel is pain yet no pump haha.

Keep it going, what do you need to weigh in at for the classic?

Also consider dropping the whey shake in favor for a real meal as this will keep you feeling fuller for longer. 8 ounces of chicken fills you up better than 2 scoops whey isolate......

clasics is 78kg max for my height, so under that, ye I wont drop it from 120 to 100 seems bit steep especially when fat loss is still happening and aint slowed, ill just drop the yolk and cashews nuts to 1/3 just because even with 1/3 cup of cashews plus the turkey i eat with it thats still around 25grams of fat altogether at least

ill keep the PB at 1.5 spoons,

yeah I really dont mind eating more solid food tbh I could sub a whey shake for chicken so that leaves 5 solid meals 1 shake which is cool

going out tonite, not drinking lol

jamwithtupac
02-26-2010, 03:21 PM
hopefully this picture will upload its a back pic 8 weeks out of potential comp (last week) weighing around 83kg now at 5 9

Fri 26th Feb 2010

morning 50min fasted cardio

back workout few hours later

wide grip chins only took 4 sets to get to 52chins, which is what I aimed for, now time to add weight next week!

close grip chins 4 sets of around 6-8 allsets to failure

underhand rows 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 all for 8-10 reps, 90 for 6 reps, strict form no body movement

machine row 4 sets of 10-20 reps

cable rows 3 sets of 12

underhand lat pulldown 3 sets of 8-10

db shrugs dorian yates style, shrug up and back- 35, 42, 47.5 for 10 strict reps with 2 sec squeeze at top, 35/10 reps

rack pulls from above knee (forearms were pumped so had to use straps) worked to 180kg/8 with a snatch wide grip and called it a day on the weights, was fuked

cardio 45 min at 130bpm after weights

lower fat abs are starting to shed away finally!!!! 7 weeks to go, Im curious to know if I can get into condition to be honest..........its not a big comp for me just a try out really.

Con
02-26-2010, 05:32 PM
You will be in condition James no worries.
If any one is worried it's me i am 220lb this AM 6 weeks out from show 1.
I am going to seriously have to suck it up to hit 198lb.....

jamwithtupac
02-27-2010, 06:04 AM
You will be in condition James no worries.
If any one is worried it's me i am 220lb this AM 6 weeks out from show 1.
I am going to seriously have to suck it up to hit 198lb.....

IM sure you'll do it con!! and yeah sometimes I feel i look good day then crap another, I always find I look better after cardio so maybe thats due to water leaving the body?? I think the really hard look comes from the last week of prep when you drop water etc

Con
02-27-2010, 09:56 AM
IM sure you'll do it con!! and yeah sometimes I feel i look good day then crap another, I always find I look better after cardio so maybe thats due to water leaving the body?? I think the really hard look comes from the last week of prep when you drop water etc
Haha i look flat after cardio so i look my worst.

Dropping water, carbing up, pumping up and the tan all contribute to that look mate don't worry it will look good but work on your posing that is some thing i have to do my self........

jamwithtupac
02-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Haha i look flat after cardio so i look my worst.

Dropping water, carbing up, pumping up and the tan all contribute to that look mate don't worry it will look good but work on your posing that is some thing i have to do my self........

Yeah I pose in between sets and sometimes at home when I have time, dont want to make excuses, but in my last term of uni Im prioritising things, so dont really want to spend 30min posing a day like most say, when Im doing cardio, cooking, work and other activities.....................I will prioritise posing few weeks before comp though........ I think I can hold poses well, I dont tend to shake and Ive read about how to pose in the 8 mandatory poses and the secret tips eg side post push your ham on one leg against the other to make it look larger, and making sure everything is tensed from the bottom first to the top eg. calfs all the way towards the head, everything kept tensed

jamwithtupac
02-27-2010, 01:19 PM
these refeed days make me very sleepy after, cant stay awake!

jamwithtupac
03-01-2010, 11:02 AM
OK heres the deal, I feel shit on this palumbo diet, strength is down. anyway IM thinking 7 weeks to go, not enough time, even if there is, I cant be bothered to stress out over a contest and do more cardio. IM at uni and stressing over final year exams, not enough time in the day, so strongly considering staying lean until then, ILl carry 0n the cardio everyday and the weights, add in carbs, and just increase kcals

I dont think I can look awesome in 7 weeks still have lower fat abs, and I feel after 14 weeks dieting straight and strict, its taken a toll

im on 2000kcals now, so if I go 3000kcals for weeks and just maintain leaness and diet for a show in aug or sep, that way I can see if I can qualify for the brits in oct

good plan?

Con
03-01-2010, 11:28 AM
OK heres the deal, I feel shit on this palumbo diet, strength is down. anyway IM thinking 7 weeks to go, not enough time, even if there is, I cant be bothered to stress out over a contest and do more cardio. IM at uni and stressing over final year exams, not enough time in the day, so strongly considering staying lean until then, ILl carry 0n the cardio everyday and the weights, add in carbs, and just increase kcals

I dont think I can look awesome in 7 weeks still have lower fat abs, and I feel after 14 weeks dieting straight and strict, its taken a toll

im on 2000kcals now, so if I go 3000kcals for weeks and just maintain leaness and diet for a show in aug or sep, that way I can see if I can qualify for the brits in oct

good plan?
You have reached the point many of us come to.
Your mind is fucking with you as you think you are too fat and small to compete and all you want to do is eat more.
I quit two preps with this mind set and i regret both of them.

Do as you wish but be honest with your self with the reason you want to pull out......

jamwithtupac
03-01-2010, 12:04 PM
You have reached the point many of us come to.
Your mind is fucking with you as you think you are too fat and small to compete and all you want to do is eat more.
I quit two preps with this mind set and i regret both of them.

Do as you wish but be honest with your self with the reason you want to pull out......

I am honest with myself, Im not willing to do anymore cardio for the sake of uni work, I would defo go ahead and carry on dieting. Im losing 5kg on my weights each week int he gym, i dont mind dieting, but i think im loosing strength....

I aint had any carbs yet so still stickin to it, like i said id keep up the cardio n everything but I dont want to prioritise this above anything else............. do you really think im gona be 3% bodyfat in 7 weeks time con, u seen my pics, i wana look really good, not ahh not bad for a first timer still looking soft though

Con
03-01-2010, 12:26 PM
You are not going to be 3% very few people ever are you are talking about the very best conditioning possible. At 5-6% you will be in as good shape as every one else.

Keep up your cardio study your uni stuff on the treadmill this is what i do.
Keep dieting.
Cut back on the training to 4 days per week.
Finish it off and achieve some thing few people ever can.

jamwithtupac
03-01-2010, 12:32 PM
You are not going to be 3% very few people ever are you are talking about the very best conditioning possible. At 5-6% you will be in as good shape as every one else.

Keep up your cardio study your uni stuff on the treadmill this is what i do.
Keep dieting.
Cut back on the training to 4 days per week.
Finish it off and achieve some thing few people ever can.

yeah well i been walking to uni which is 4 miles =50min at a fast pace 7 x a weeks and thats brought my weight down, maybe its the diet, i only been following a plaumbo diet for 3 weeks. ok so do you think can get to 5 or 6 % fat levels in 7 weeks time, Ive got 6kg to drop to make class anyway...

i dnt mind even doing 45 min cardio twice a day its just dnt want to do anymore,

do you think maybe a carb approach go back to 140gram of carbs as i was on before is more suited if im loosing strength?

jamwithtupac
03-01-2010, 01:38 PM
ok this is the plan, reintroduce carbs into the diet, carb cycle 125g high day, 50g low days on advice from a pro IFBB bodybuilder whos been taking care of me recently.......apparently takes 4 weeks for the body to start using fats as energy, I feel the palumbo diet is eating strength and therefore muscle,

anyway Ill carry on dieting 7 weeks to go then!

sulcop
03-01-2010, 02:16 PM
This goes against the Dave diet, but what I do with my clients is have them take a diet and cardio break for 4-7 days. Yes, I know the cheat meal is there to ramp up thyroid and correct leptin but sometimes more is needed. It works 90% of the time and most of my clients are back on track and even lose 1% on the break. the trick is NOT to cheat or eat crap foods, eat clean just more and add in carbs meal 1-2-3 and cut way back on training intensity. Remember on low cals you cant recover from all the heavy work so cut back even more, cut cardio in half, or skip it and take a week to adjust. After that decide on where to go. I am with Con, I missed out amny times by backing off and pulling out. As Lyle McDonald reccomends, take that step back then move on and achieve that goal!

Scoobysnacks
03-01-2010, 02:52 PM
This goes against the Dave diet, but what I do with my clients is have them take a diet and cardio break for 4-7 days. Yes, I know the cheat meal is there to ramp up thyroid and correct leptin but sometimes more is needed. It works 90% of the time and most of my clients are back on track and even lose 1% on the break. the trick is NOT to cheat or eat crap foods, eat clean just more and add in carbs meal 1-2-3 and cut way back on training intensity. Remember on low cals you cant recover from all the heavy work so cut back even more, cut cardio in half, or skip it and take a week to adjust. After that decide on where to go. I am with Con, I missed out amny times by backing off and pulling out. As Lyle McDonald reccomends, take that step back then move on and achieve that goal!

Hey Sully, just thought Id say I do this too. In fact just did with a gal doing the natural ohio here in a few weeks. She lost another 2-3 lbs on a 160 carb diet after being keto for a good while. She didnt usually do well with carbs, but this time it worked well. Then I put her back on keto and she is going to be very well conditioned. So I agree with your point.

jamwithtupac
03-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Hey Sully, just thought Id say I do this too. In fact just did with a gal doing the natural ohio here in a few weeks. She lost another 2-3 lbs on a 160 carb diet after being keto for a good while. She didnt usually do well with carbs, but this time it worked well. Then I put her back on keto and she is going to be very well conditioned. So I agree with your point.

what you suggesting i do??? Ive defo got weaker on the palumbo diet no doubt...... I only been on it 3 weeks, maybe its all in the head, I duno, I dont look smaller in size, still look big as ever really............. Im considering a carb cycle

Mr Atlas
03-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Don't worry about your strength, there is only so many things you can worry about and control. Your strength will bounce back when your done anyways.

As long as you look in the mirror and your not losing muscle as you say, your doing well.

Mr Atlas
03-01-2010, 03:24 PM
After a few weeks keto is not as effective. I add in a high carb day once or twice a week, that helps.

Also, doing my cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, then don't eat anything afterwards for an hour or so, that really helped me too.

Personally, i lift more weights when dieting, 5* a week. This help burn more calories through the day and maintain muscle.

I work full time and study part time at uni in the evenings, it can be done!

Finally, if fat loss really slows, a few interval training sessions a week. I know Dave does not recommend this!

sulcop
03-01-2010, 03:56 PM
In 2004 I was 6 weeks out from the Nationals and on a keto diet and hit a wall. I took 5 days where I increased my calories by 35% to 50%, all clean carbs, did no cardio and did a push up/chin up/free squat workout of 100 reps each once a day as active recovery. No set was taken to failure. Like Scubby said, I dropped 3 pounds and my metabolism started racing again. Net result I moved from 4th the year before to overall champion against the same level of comp. In a nutshell I went from behind on my diet to my best ever. I have done this many times with all my clients. Last year Bob Macloud was falling behind for his first IFPA pro show. We did exactly that and he placed second to Joe Franco (and we all know how good he is) so it works.

Sully

jamwithtupac
03-01-2010, 03:57 PM
After a few weeks keto is not as effective. I add in a high carb day once or twice a week, that helps.

Also, doing my cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, then don't eat anything afterwards for an hour or so, that really helped me too.

Personally, i lift more weights when dieting, 5* a week. This help burn more calories through the day and maintain muscle.

I work full time and study part time at uni in the evenings, it can be done!

Finally, if fat loss really slows, a few interval training sessions a week. I know Dave does not recommend this!

yyeah I kinda wana do interval training as this helped speed up fat loss for me but i cant on daves diet,

I only been on daves diet for 3 weeks, im gona stik to dieting on daves for the nx week and see how it goes from there, i feel a bit better right now, m condition is the best its beeen in reality, its just strength isnt the best, but then again in relation to a 2stone drop in size it might not be all that bad considering i havent been training for strength, I think if i can deadlift around 210kg for a few reps Ill be on track for strength

sulcop
03-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Jam,

I work with a ton of pros who are former power lifters and this has happened to them. I have developed a system where load is still maintained on low energy and set diet breaks to push through the leptin/thyroid issue. Hit me with a PM or email, [email protected] and I would be glad to walk you through it. Just don't quit brother.

Sully

jamwithtupac
03-01-2010, 10:16 PM
In 2004 I was 6 weeks out from the Nationals and on a keto diet and hit a wall. I took 5 days where I increased my calories by 35% to 50%, all clean carbs, did no cardio and did a push up/chin up/free squat workout of 100 reps each once a day as active recovery. No set was taken to failure. Like Scubby said, I dropped 3 pounds and my metabolism started racing again. Net result I moved from 4th the year before to overall champion against the same level of comp. In a nutshell I went from behind on my diet to my best ever. I have done this many times with all my clients. Last year Bob Macloud was falling behind for his first IFPA pro show. We did exactly that and he placed second to Joe Franco (and we all know how good he is) so it works.

Sully

sully I emailed you , hope to hear from you asap..... think I need a change, need more energy levels, especially for uni work......... and I think I did better on the little carbs i ate

sulcop
03-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Got it and the reply has been sent.

jamwithtupac
03-02-2010, 05:02 AM
Got it and the reply has been sent.

thanks bro that sunds good, Ill follow that starting from today until sunday

check your email, just to confirm everything I said is ok cheers bro

sulcop
03-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Keep us posted here as well. If you start to feel good and the metabolism seems to be moving right along then you can back off and into the diet phase again, but give it at least 4 days.

Sully

jamwithtupac
03-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Hey thanks scully, ok Ive sorted out a plan, IM going back to a carb diet, 1 day high 2 days low alternating 150g carb 100g carb, no cheat days, dieting hard,

back to what I know what works, Ive listened to your advice scully, taking 4 days off higher carb and loosing weight and feel more energised for sure...... now just gota keep pushing it. THe keto diet was making me feel shitty so dont want to change things up too late now, I feel it has benefitted me in terms of fat loss, but overal energies wasnt great,

here we go just over 6 weeks till comp, another comp 1 month after, although it is 1 day before exams start for final year of uni.... but Im hoping exams start a bit later and not on the first day.........

IM hoping my energy levels will be ok to do work, I dieted over january exams and actually did my best in 3 years of uni so i dont think it should affect me...

sulcop
03-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Good luck buddy! Keto is not for everyone, it works, but for some people the energy crash is too much. Glad I could help you out.

Sully

jamwithtupac
03-04-2010, 03:55 AM
Good luck buddy! Keto is not for everyone, it works, but for some people the energy crash is too much. Glad I could help you out.

Sully

yeah the crash was too much, I felt results were coming on the keto diet but at the expensive of strength and training intensity went down, was like a zombie just walking around the gym let alone training..............

cheers for the advice though, Im taking today and tomorrow off eating higher carbs then back to carb cycling............. its wierd actually I feel leaner than ever today judging my the mirror, leg muscles were really coming out and starting to see veins on the abs too

Con
03-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Carbing up makes you look leaner as the muscles are fuller don't kid your self.

jamwithtupac
03-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Carbing up makes you look leaner as the muscles are fuller don't kid your self.

yer for sure, at least I know what sort of definition I can achieve with it! had so far 3 days off eating high carbs high protein- around 280grams carbs max a day so far and feel a lot better, hitting the diet back hard on saturday

100g carb low days,
200g carb high days
tues and fri= high days, the rest are low days,
extremely low fats too, dont need em now
no cheat days