PDA

View Full Version : stage make up?

ripcurlgirl
03-07-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm getting ready for my first bb contest, and I'm curious about stage make up for prejudging and night show. Do you use tanner on your face and then make up? Or just use make up? I'm a blonde & blue eyed who turns various shades of pink in the sun, and plan out of neccesity to get all my color from a bottle. I don't think spray tan is available at the show. Advice?

Fit_5"3
03-07-2009, 10:25 PM
If you use Jan Tana tanning process, I'd use the makeup that sells with it. It's super dark to match several coats of tanner. I'd just use the makeup and no tanner. I'd also tan in the bed (bad, yeah i kno) about 3 weeks out. Good luck.

Angela123
03-07-2009, 11:23 PM
make up...i used to do my own but my face was never dark enough and i can never do dramatic eyes...i pay the expert and have the professionals do it. not just a regular make up professional..one who is experienced with bb and figure competitors or at least with stage make up. there are many who do it. ive used mike who works with jan tana, laurie st. claire and chaundra tangi. colette and elaine goodland also do wonderful make up. if u dont want to pay an expert, at least have a friend or family member who does make up well, do it for you...less stress for u the day of the show too. or go to the make up counters at the mall, have the saleswoman teach you and then try it yourself.

i did the jan tana on my face once...yah it matched my body but it made my face look bad. not pretty. okay for men, not for women. i also bought the jan tana makeup, but i wasnt happy with it. so again, i just pay for the experts to do it.

for tanning. ive used pro tan and jantana. jan tana is easier to apply and gets u dark faster than protan does. for my last show tho i did both. came out great. put on a shitload of coats of protan, then the morning of the show did a few of jantana. touched up with jantana before nightshow as well. and yes...tan, tan, tan in a tanning salon before the show.

this was posted by sassy69 on another board...its good advice. i agree with her. mac is the way to go.

My comment about MAC -- I much prefer it for face color to match Protan instead of putting protan on your face. My experience doing that was that by the night show, it was so dried out it was cracking and if you get your face wet at all (sweat, water drip), it will show as a run in the protan. The MAC foundation (can't remember, NC or NW45) matches protan perfectly and goes on / comes off very easily, vs trying to scrape protan off your face 2 days after your show.

ripcurlgirl
03-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Very helpful, thanks. This gives me a place to start and I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt me to get a lesson and some practice. I'm the girl who'd rather not wear make up and it's nearly the first thing that comes off when I get home from work. And I do love my MAC lipsticks...Thanks!

ripcurlgirl
03-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Here's a follow up q. What do you do differently for eyes/lips for prejudging vs. night show? Is the idea to look natural for judging, meaning that you don't want your face to detract from your physique?

GirlyMuscle
03-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Haven't competed but I've been to plenty of shows. Makeup for stage, when done correctly, looks frightful and too heavy off stage. I think to "see" anything under the lights you have to apply fairly heavy so it wouldn't matter from pre-j to evening. Heavy for both. Maybe add glittery stuff at night if that's your thing.

sassy69
03-10-2009, 12:59 PM
You can go to the MAC counter & explain what you are doing and get some tips. I know BB isn't as "dramatic" as figure in the prejudge, but IMO you can do good makeup for both AM / PM shows. I actually like bringing a little more muss & fuss to the AM stage because it looks like you took the time to look good vs looking just utilitarian. Because you are dealing w/ the same stage lights, etc I'd probably go just as heavy w/ the makeup - but a good MAC person can show you how to do the makeup so you're getting a good presentation for the stage but not looking like a drag queen. You can get a little more dramatic w/ the sparkles & stuff for the night show, but I wouldn't skimp on the morning show either. Your makup would have to be hella garish to distract from your physique. But if you have very light or "natural" makeup, you may just look liek you're not wearing any makeup, again under the lights. I prefer big & bold, because that will still just barely show up from a distance & under lights, and even moreso, against the dark tan. Also mention that when you do talk to the MAC people because it will make dark colors probably just melt into the dark tan or make you look like you just got punched in the eye.
I also go for the fake lashes :)

Suzanne
03-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Here's a follow up q. What do you do differently for eyes/lips for prejudging vs. night show? Is the idea to look natural for judging, meaning that you don't want your face to detract from your physique?

My make up same for both

I have professional do it usually Elaine Goodlad

figurebre
03-10-2009, 05:32 PM
apply a moisturizer
pro tan morning of, one coat...blend well!
apply a dark foundation
I suggest not matching your eye shadow to your suit color...

~Dayna~
03-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Makeup yeah one of my favorite topics next to bodybuilding. I never put protan on it looks awefull IMO. I like MAC full coverage in NC/NW45 or 50 matches great with protan it all depends on how dark you are to begin with. I also uses this on my hands and feet.

If you are not going to have a pro do your makeup here are some to do's. As suggested go to MAC and let them know what your doing they will give you samples no problem of the foundation providing you purchase some stuff. I would say for the most part stick with matte makeup as those stage lights are so hot and bright anything with to much shimmer is going to make you look way shinny.

Here is the basics for your face even guys should do this I hate seeing protan/dream tan on peoples face it looks just awful IMO.

Step 1: clean and exfolate your skin very well
Step 2: moisturize (make sure there is no SPF in it as SPF makes your face appear ghostly in photos.)
Step 3: use a primer I like smashboxs photo finish
Step 4: for full coverage I prefer a sponge makeup applicator make sure you blend this into your skin really well and ever where ears neck hands feet etc
Step 5: brush a loose powder all over to set it

ripcurlgirl
03-11-2009, 12:10 AM
Love it! Yeah, I've seen women wear natural or no makeup for prejudging, and you wonder if they didn't wake up in time or what. Feeling like I'm on the right track. My husband said, "Do we even have a MAC counter?". We do, but don't tell him I know where it is. Few more weeks, and I'll have a hottie photo to put up...let me figure out these eye lashes first. ;)

Carolyn Bryant
03-11-2009, 12:44 AM
I was wondering which one of you gals would date or marry a bi-sexual man?

tight booty
03-11-2009, 12:49 AM
:eek: Now that's a totally random question!

ripcurlgirl
03-11-2009, 09:20 AM
:confused:
I was wondering which one of you gals would date or marry a bi-sexual man? :confused: What?

Kim McGuire
03-12-2009, 02:12 PM

when you are tan for a show, you don't look natural. what you think may look natural as far as makeup gets totally washed out on stage, so you should really do good makeup AND hair for both prejudging and finals. don't just through your hair in a ponytail or in a clip, or if you do, make it look like it's more 'done'. judges will notice these things whether we think they should or not. i say always do your best to look your best on stage which means put in the effort, do great hair and makeup for both prej and nite shows. i think elena seiple once said that if you don't look like a transvestite, then you don't have on enough makeup. dark lips on stage are a must, otherwise you can't see them. leave the pale stuff for off stage. dark eyes, false eye lashes, the whole nine yards, lots of blush, etc.......go all out. you'll feel better about how you look too.

good luck with your show! enjoy

Allifit
03-12-2009, 05:51 PM
i pay the expert and have the professionals do it. not just a regular make up professional..one who is experienced with bb and figure competitors or at least with stage make up.

Agreed. I NEVER do photo shoots or a show without professional makeup.... my gf Angie does mine. If anyone wants or needs her info shes EXTREMLY reasonable and ROCKS.

i did the jan tana on my face once...yah it matched my body but it made my face look bad. not pretty.

x2. Jan tana goes on gloppy and is extremly disgusting, not to mention you need a hose to get it off your face. When you're dieted you tend to look strained and thin in the face as is, so its REALLY important to have a solid makeup artist who can work to make your face look fresh, awake, and vibrant despite you being tired and dieted. I do NOT recommend Jantana. I use bare minerals makeup on daily basis and that's what I had angie use on me at my past show (Arnold Amateur) and it looked fabulous. We had to mix a few shades to get my face dark enough, but it was well worth it.

ripcurlgirl
03-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the dark lip advice. I'm enmassing all the essentials, and will work this make up "practice" into my schedule to see what works. I consulted the MAC counter, and they were great, consulted some theatre/dance stage performers too about application & what products they use, colors etc. So, I'm going shopping! I've got my hair designer all lined up to give me a blow out the day before...I'm getting excited. And my cheering section is growing - my co-workers threatened to bring a blow horn and a giant foam # finger, bring it!

sassy69
03-13-2009, 01:48 AM
I can pull off the basics myself but if you can have a makeup artist, go for it. Its nice to have someone else make you pretty and do all the creative thinking about color, etc. All you have to do is be there.

Allifit
03-13-2009, 08:25 AM
I can pull off the basics myself but if you can have a makeup artist, go for it. Its nice to have someone else make you pretty and do all the creative thinking about color, etc. All you have to do is be there.
I can "manage" on my own, but I tend to think I look more polished and more professionally complete if I get a makeup artist (obviously). Also I don't know about you ladies but me trying to apply my own fake lashes is NOT a pretty thing lol. It's disastrous....:rolleyes:

ripcurlgirl
03-13-2009, 09:11 AM
No kidding, eyelashes tend to push my spacial ability envelope - they're usually upside down and backwards the first try. lol!

sassy69
03-13-2009, 10:56 AM
No kidding, eyelashes tend to push my spacial ability envelope - they're usually upside down and backwards the first try. lol!

Oh they are a bitch too.. esp trying to work around contact lenses, just w/ the fumes from the glue.. ughhhhh... Seriously considering lasik surgery this yr....

Allifit
03-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Oh they are a bitch too.. esp trying to work around contact lenses, just w/ the fumes from the glue.. ughhhhh... Seriously considering lasik surgery this yr....
ohmigod that glue stinks....and to try to get them situated on the lid without looking gloppy and trashy... ugh.

Thats why I get a makeup artist lol.... I got enough on my plate come showtime without dealing with lashes haha.

BadAssBarbie
03-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Always make sure your skin...body and face....have been exfoliated VERY well.
Protan does NOT do well on the face. I like doing my own make-up. I just use dark make-up so my face matches my body. ACTUALLY, I think it looks better if your face is just a shade or 2 lighter than your body. I have seen people who don't use dark enough make-up though, and it looks like their head belongs on someone else's body. (Dark bod, white face) LOL
Jan Tana actually lightly sprayed my face over my make-up, and it looked awesome!!
Definitely do your eyes more dramatic! Also, if your lips aren't dark/bright enough, it looks like you have no lips uder those lights. That light frosty lipstick.....no good for stage IMO.
I'm getting my lashes done for the first time for my next show. I naturally have long lashes, and they're thick, but I thought what the hell. I'll try it!!!! I heard what sets good eyelashes apart from the rest is the quality of the glue! This chic who does them swears this glue is the best, and I won't have any problems! I'll let ya know how that turns out. She's a professional eyelash doer. So, I'm sure they'll be good.
I also agree, MAC always looks great on stage! Studio Gear is another one I like.
Ok, I've rambled enough and probably repeated what everyone else already said. nap time now. Good luck!!

ripcurlgirl
03-13-2009, 10:35 PM

I had lasik, geez in 2000, and would highly recommend it if you are a good candidate. The bad news, you still age, your eyes age and potentially you'll need to do it again. I wear glasses again at this point, and am developing farsightedness (we're the ones holding the paper at arms length!). But I'd say I had 7 great years of skiing, snorkling, scuba - without correction. Go for it!

Elise
03-14-2009, 01:19 AM
I'm all about airbrush foundation. It's awesome and doesn't melt with the sweating and the lights.

Allifit
03-14-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm all about airbrush foundation. It's awesome and doesn't melt with the sweating and the lights.
I tried airbrush foundation and it streaked like mad... maybe it was the person who applied it I dont know... but it didnt seem to hold up well to sweat and lights...

Like I said I'm a bare minerals girl during my day to day makeup and I had my makeup artist use bare minerals this past show, we mixed and matched to get me dark enough BUT my makeup held up ALL day... through photo shoots AND competition AND going out.... and it looked flawless. I got a ton of compliments on my makeup.

The other perk is that bareminerals doesnt cause breakouts. I know when I used Jan tana last show I broke out..... personally I think that makeup is nasty lol.

BadAssBarbie
03-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Bare Minerals makes me realllly shiny. I love the Sheer Cover mineral make-uo though!!!!!

huge285
03-14-2009, 04:55 PM
I use a secret weapon of mine that is an amazing arasol foundation that is airbrush like. Never had any problems with it and it matches just perfectly:)

SallyAnne
03-14-2009, 05:07 PM
I use a secret weapon of mine that is an amazing arasol foundation that is airbrush like. Never had any problems with it and it matches just perfectly:)

Are you going to share? lol

ripcurlgirl
03-14-2009, 07:43 PM

I guess it wouldn't be a "secret" then, we'll just have to guess lol! ;)

SallyAnne
03-14-2009, 07:51 PM
There is an aerosol tanning spray you can buy for your legs. Maybe that's what he's talking about. I've seen it before at Walmart, but there are many different brands and the price range is pretty big..

http://www.sallyhansen.com/images/products/3703-01_11.jpg

BadAssBarbie
03-15-2009, 09:50 AM
You're funny, Dave ;)

tammyp
03-15-2009, 10:28 AM
mac 45 matches well. you can look at you tube for some hints on stage makeup.

ripcurlgirl
03-15-2009, 11:46 AM
There is an aerosol tanning spray you can buy for your legs. Maybe that's what he's talking about. I've seen it before at Walmart, but there are many different brands and the price range is pretty big..

http://www.sallyhansen.com/images/products/3703-01_11.jpg
Have you ever used this on your face?

SallyAnne
03-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Have you ever used this on your face?

I've never used it at all. lol Dave wrote "aerosol" and this is what I thought of. :D

ripcurlgirl
03-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Well, if it makes my legs look like his, I'll buy stock in it! lol! :) Now that would be amazing!

Elise
03-15-2009, 03:54 PM
lol it's araspray:) That was me writing under dave's name. I was visiting for the day

ripcurlgirl
03-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Makes sense, that's funny! So, do you use this on your face?

Bonny Priest
03-15-2009, 05:42 PM
mac 45 matches well. you can look at you tube for some hints on stage makeup.

I'm a Mac fan myself, but for the hot lights & sweat...I use Revlon Colorstay (can't remember the shade I use for the shows, but if anyone wants to know...I'll check for ya). There's a website that I became addicted to for makeup advice. The girl is awesome. It's www.makeupgeek.com . One of products that I learned about & now use to keep eyeshadows in place is Urban Decay Primer Potion or Too Faced Shadow Insurance. They WILL NOT allow your eyeshadow to crease or fade at all. I use it every single day. I also got some good advice from a couple of the Mac Pro stores about only wearing matte eyeshadows with a little shimmer in the inner corner. The lights are too bright & it sometimes can look like a bad reflection coming off your upper eyelid area. Tammy's right about youtube. There's tons of cool tutorial videos for makeup. JulieG713 is an awesome one & EnKoreMakeup is amazing. There are tutorials on the makeupgeek website too. Check out the make that Vegas showgirls use too. This is gonna sound crazy as well, but it makes sense when you think about the lighting. It's the same as what we use. Ok. OK. You make not want to go that crazy, but use it as an example. Hope it helps scuba girl. :D I've got lots of other places to look if that's not enough. :eek: I'm a closet makeup junkie.

Elise
03-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Yep I use it on all my competitors when I do makeup. It matches really perfect to Jantana. I'm a big MAC fan too, i used to freelance as an artist for them.

BadAssBarbie
03-15-2009, 09:20 PM
I think nw 45 looks toooo orangy. nw 50 works pretty good. Also, the Sheer Cover mineral powder/foundation in Chocolate...and it's not all greasy/dirty looking like the bare esencuals can be. Just my opinion. Different things work differently for different people though. Did that last sentence even make sense?? Holy Moly!!! lol :)

ms.karen
03-16-2009, 01:41 PM

Does he do make-up? :confused:

ms.karen
03-16-2009, 01:51 PM
I tried airbrush foundation and it streaked like mad... maybe it was the person who applied it I dont know... but it didnt seem to hold up well to sweat and lights...

Like I said I'm a bare minerals girl during my day to day makeup and I had my makeup artist use bare minerals this past show, we mixed and matched to get me dark enough BUT my makeup held up ALL day... through photo shoots AND competition AND going out.... and it looked flawless. I got a ton of compliments on my makeup.

The other perk is that bareminerals doesnt cause breakouts. I know when I used Jan tana last show I broke out..... personally I think that makeup is nasty lol.

I just recently started using Bare Minerals, and absolutely love it. I'm normally a MAC person, and I was actually wondering how Bare Minerals would hold up on stage under the lights. I was gonna as the sales lady, but of course she would say it was great. So it's good to get this info from someone who's actually used it during a competition...THX!

Elise
03-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Bare minerals is great for everyday use but personally as a makeup artist I would not recommend it to use onstage. It not meant for high definition stage lighting.

stephaniewicked
03-16-2009, 11:34 PM
I think nw 45 looks toooo orangy. nw 50 works pretty good. Also, the Sheer Cover mineral powder/foundation in Chocolate...and it's not all greasy/dirty looking like the bare esencuals can be. Just my opinion. Different things work differently for different people though. Did that last sentence even make sense?? Holy Moly!!! lol :)

I was torn between NW45 and NW50 when I was at the mall the other day, so I decided to wait until I get my color so I can do a test patch on my inner wrist and hopefully use that to gauge which color I should get. The 45 did look orangey, but I wasn't sure if 50 was too brown... :confused:

Elise
03-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Try NW 43 MAC and use bronzer or better yet blot powder for shine control

ripcurlgirl
03-17-2009, 11:03 PM
I got a sample of the NW 45 and it looks a bit dark for me, but I'll get a sample of the NW 43 and see how that looks. When I got the first sample I explained what I was doing, and told the lady that I'd be wearing royal blue. I asked her for her suggestion for eye color, and I made the mistake of using the word 'comlimentary'...she suggested orange. Hmmm, I was thinking grey/moss, greyish/purple. Orange, just never crossed my mind! lol! Somehow I don't think that will go well with the red that my tired eyes will likely be! :) We'll see what the "big city" MAC specialists say this week while I'm on the road.

stephaniewicked
03-18-2009, 01:12 AM
"Technically" if you go by the color wheel, orange is the complimentary color of blue, which is likely why she said that... but other factors to take into consideration are complexion, hair color, eye color, etc...

Play around with it and see what works best for you! And if you aren't sure, ask them if they can help you with some colors/looks...

ripcurlgirl
03-18-2009, 09:15 AM
"Technically" if you go by the color wheel, orange is the complimentary color of blue, which is likely why she said that... but other factors to take into consideration are complexion, hair color, eye color, etc...

Play around with it and see what works best for you! And if you aren't sure, ask them if they can help you with some colors/looks...

I realized right away that I'd been too literal. I talked about it with my stylist, and since I'm fair and blue eyed (which tend to get red when I'm tired and dehydrated) and her suggestion was green - which is opposite red on the wheel. So, I'm playing with that. BTW, I love all this advice, it's really helping me shape this process:) -thank you!

Elise
03-18-2009, 03:12 PM
If you ladies have any other beauty questions be sure to ask away in my column of beauty school. Anything from skin care to makeup concerns. And if you have any upcoming shows in which you need services be sure to let me know as I'm in the process of show scheduling for the year.

MashkaNY
04-18-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm a Mac fan myself, but for the hot lights & sweat...I use Revlon Colorstay (can't remember the shade I use for the shows, but if anyone wants to know...I'll check for ya). There's a website that I became addicted to for makeup advice. The girl is awesome. It's www.makeupgeek.com (http://www.makeupgeek.com) . One of products that I learned about & now use to keep eyeshadows in place is Urban Decay Primer Potion or Too Faced Shadow Insurance. They WILL NOT allow your eyeshadow to crease or fade at all. I use it every single day. I also got some good advice from a couple of the Mac Pro stores about only wearing matte eyeshadows with a little shimmer in the inner corner. The lights are too bright & it sometimes can look like a bad reflection coming off your upper eyelid area. Tammy's right about youtube. There's tons of cool tutorial videos for makeup. JulieG713 is an awesome one & EnKoreMakeup is amazing. There are tutorials on the makeupgeek website too. Check out the make that Vegas showgirls use too. This is gonna sound crazy as well, but it makes sense when you think about the lighting. It's the same as what we use. Ok. OK. You make not want to go that crazy, but use it as an example. Hope it helps scuba girl. :D I've got lots of other places to look if that's not enough. :eek: I'm a closet makeup junkie.
wow very informative!!!

I was looking for suggestions to alternative things to MAC... that stuf is way too expensive

MashkaNY
04-18-2009, 04:46 PM
oh i've been thinking of getting this stage makeup by company called Ben Nye.. i know its sold in ricky's and its not super expensive... hope its good

im sure i'll need a good bronzer over it though... hmmm