PDA

View Full Version : 9 weeks in...havent lost as much fat as i thought.

theIRONworks
03-07-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm training for this local thing and even though I've made good gains....I haven't lost enought fat as I would've hoped. Cardio in the mornings, main workout at noon, cardio in the evenings.......

7:00am : cardio
8:00am : 6 egg whites with a little tabasco sauce to help with the gagging and 1/2 cup oatmeal.
10:00am : 6-8 oz. Unseasoned chicken breast with Olive oil, steamed veggies or quinoa.
11:30am : scoop of Isolyze with macadamia nut oil.
12:00pm : workout
1:30pm : one scoop of Isolyze.
2:30pm : 5 oz ground turkey breast and white rice.
6:30pm : 6 oz tilapia unseasoned and steamed veggies.
8:00pm : cardio
9:30pm : same as 10am
12:30am: 6 oz tilapia and brown rice.
1:00am : sleep.

I started at 213 lbs. very soft.......and now I am at 185 lbs.....still soft as hell...I think I should go keto or something. Other supplements are just Animal Pak and Flex, Gaspari's SizeOn during the workout and PlasmaJet, Lipo6 and flax seed.

Tell me if I'm making some sort of horrible mistake.

gman
03-07-2009, 09:09 PM
You lost too fast, probably burned off muscle and fat.

28 lbs in 9 weeks is way too fast, IMO

You need to eat more fat, you ought to put what you eat on fitday to see the calories, it just doesn't look like you are eating enough.

Frosty
03-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Doesn't sound like you have a "gifted" metabolism, so I would consider Dave's Diet. Rice before bed for a lot of people isn't a good idea for fat loss. Probably just too many carbs.

theIRONworks
03-07-2009, 11:50 PM
The last time I tried a keto I felt very fatigued......particularly on a leg day. Maybe I just didn't plan it right. Gman, you're with Dave........how's the diet looking like?

Angela123
03-08-2009, 05:50 PM
on keto..you should schedule ur cheat meal the day b4 leg day.

keto usually will make you feel fatigued and like shit in the start. you shoud not feel fatigued after the first 5 days or so. did u make sure to have enough fats.

uve hit a platue...you need to change ur diet. it might have worked at first...but ur body is used to it now. plus ur diet should change as u get closer to the show anyway.

and while uve lost a lot of weight in the beginning of ur diet...that is normal. lots of it was water. so dont expect to lose that much each month. its better to lose weight as a slow pace.

imo..id drop some of those carbs. way too many. replace with fats though to maintain ur energy.

what type of veggies? green i hope.

and just so you know...nothing is wrong with seasoning ur meat during prep. i see you dont. unless u like that way.

Angela123
03-08-2009, 10:24 PM
u should post pix. many of us have body dysmorphia. you might not look as bad as you think and you might just be holding onto water, which is not a bad thing.

is this your first show...you may not have as much muscle as you thought u had and u may just have to get down to a very low body weight to look lean and hard.

SLICED
03-09-2009, 01:09 AM
If you havent loss as much as you expect it then it's time to make adjustments..either cut cals or add a bit more cardio but definitly one variable at a time.

tammyp
03-09-2009, 08:18 AM
what are your portions for your carbs? are you measuring them? needs fat. i wouldnt do carbs with your last meal.

gman
03-09-2009, 09:50 AM
The last time I tried a keto I felt very fatigued......particularly on a leg day. Maybe I just didn't plan it right. Gman, you're with Dave........how's the diet looking like?

Did well the first 5 weeks, losing 11 lbs. Did not lose any in week 6. Waiting for Dave's adjustments. He is very responsive, and he has changed my cardio several times (upward of course), but has not cut my calories yet.

Will be interesting to see what he does. I am, as near as I can calculate, eating about 2650 calories a day, and doing 70 minutes a day of cardio. Still didn't lose any last week, which has me kinda bummed!

GirlyMuscle
03-09-2009, 10:17 AM
You will find on Dave's diet that weeks may go by with no scale change. Changes will be happening though so bear with it.

gman
03-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks, GM. I know Dave will take care of me, and I will keep plodding along!

kicker
03-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Hey gman! I would try cutting out the carbs after you've had your post workout meal. And make sure your veggies are fibrous veggies such as broccoli and not starchy like peas and corn. That should help.

Keep on keepin on.

matt1005
03-09-2009, 07:56 PM
You will find on Dave's diet that weeks may go by with no scale change. Changes will be happening though so bear with it.
That is what I found with myself and I am also finding that with an 18 year old that I am dieting down for a show. The kid keeps making progress though. So it is working.

gman
03-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Hey gman! I would try cutting out the carbs after you've had your post workout meal. And make sure your veggies are fibrous veggies such as broccoli and not starchy like peas and corn. That should help.

Keep on keepin on.

I am not eating any carbs. but thanks for the suggestion.

gman
03-09-2009, 09:09 PM
That is what I found with myself and I am also finding that with an 18 year old that I am dieting down for a show. The kid keeps making progress though. So it is working.

Seems like that would be the case for people who are not so heavy, but in my case, being 20%+`bf, it seems like the scale should change every week for a while.lol

I hope and pray you are right!

kicker
03-10-2009, 05:30 AM
I am not eating any carbs. but thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry dude. I think I combined your post with the first one in this thread. :eek:

BigJD69
03-10-2009, 09:51 AM
When is the show???? What weight class do you see yourself competing in???

theIRONworks
03-10-2009, 11:29 AM
When is the show???? What weight class do you see yourself competing in???

I can see myself at a good 165lbs. I don't have a computer, just my G1 so I can't post pictures.....eeek......but I know I have a lot of fat to lose so it'll be a long hard road. I'm at 182 lbs today. I've once again decided to go keto.

Check it out:

7:00am - cardio, Lipo6, bcaa's
8:00am - 7 egg whites w/ tabasco sauce, 1 tsp natural penut butter and about 3oz. of spinach leaves, animal pak, fiber supplement
10:00am - 8 oz. Chicken breast unseasoned with olive oil, broccoli/mushroom mix, flax seed, Halodrol, Animal Flex
11:30am - 1 scoop of Isolyze with 1tsp of macadamia nut oil.
12:00pm - workout, SizeOn, Lipo6
1:30pm - 1 scoop of Isolyze with 1 tsp of natural peanut butter.
2:30pm - 5oz ground turkey breast and 1 green apple.
4:00pm - Halodrol
6:00pm - 6-7 oz tilapia and mushrooms. Animal pak, flax seed.
9:00pm - 8 ox chicken breast and broccoli.
12:30am - 6-7 ox of tilapia and spinach leaves, Novedex, fiber supp.
1:00am - sleep.

I think it's alright, should be around 40some carbs a day.

tiramisu
03-11-2009, 02:28 PM
If you don't target Dave's diet and go with a zone or some other method. As a 200 pound male targetting 2 pounds per week for 10-12 weeks seems to be pretty attainable with little muscle loss. A 500 calorie daily deficit seems to be a pretty good place to hold things. Combining 45 minutes of fasting light cardio can speed things up but may be too much and may burn you out. (ease into cardio as required).

I'm currently giving Dave's diet a try and finishing week 1. I will track for 3-4 weeks and see if I need to make adjustments or add cardio then. At this point it "seems" like it is working but I'll have a better idea over the next few weeks as I dumped a lot of water at first.

bgoo101
03-11-2009, 06:24 PM
I can see myself at a good 165lbs. I don't have a computer, just my G1 so I can't post pictures.....eeek......but I know I have a lot of fat to lose so it'll be a long hard road. I'm at 182 lbs today. I've once again decided to go keto.

Check it out:

8:00am - 7 egg whites w/ tabasco sauce, 1 tsp natural penut butter and about 3oz. of spinach leaves, animal pak, fiber supplement
10:00am - 8 oz. Chicken breast unseasoned with olive oil, broccoli/mushroom mix, flax seed, Halodrol, Animal Flex

too much food simple to much pro/fat /and carbs no wonder

gman
03-11-2009, 06:36 PM
That can't be more than 2500 calories.

sassy69
03-11-2009, 06:37 PM

Check it out:

Put this whole thing into a food counts program like fitday.com to find out what is your true total cals & macro nutrient breakdown (% protein / % fat / % carb). Unless you're trying to do a keto diet, 40g of carbs is miniscule and you'll only feel rundown because you aren't eating enough to have it as a good energy source, but you are also eating too much to go into ketosis. This is where people fuck themselves with this "low carb" thing - you need carbs for energy, unless you are explicitly using a ketogenic diet and using ketones as your energy source.

Also don't just use the scale to measure "progress". The scale can only tell you the sum total of lean muscle mass, bodyfat, bones and water weight. That doesn't necessarily tell you anything about how much fat or muscle you've dropped. Particularly when you aren't seeing the scale move, is that necessarily telling you that your diet has stalled out? It really doesn't tell you anything about how your body composition is changing. If you aren't getting a regular bodyfat measure done, are you at least seeing if your clothes are fitting differently.

And just generally, having lost 27 lb in 9 weeks, that's an avg 3lb /week - normally people lose more like 1-2 lb/week and 1 - 1.5% bodyfat. You're already ahead of the avg / healthy rate and w/ that cardio you may also be losing muscle mass. Hard to know - at least not knowing the sum total of what you are currently eating.