PDA

View Full Version : Margaret Negrete's training journal for Master's Nationals

magsmalone
02-10-2010, 04:06 PM
I am back after a brief bout with bilateral carpal tunnel in my wrists after Nationals. After anti-inflamatories, injections and physical therapy, I am back on track and ready to ramp up for Master's Nationals. I decided to start a journal to help keep me on track...so let the transformation begin!

Aaron Singerman
02-10-2010, 04:19 PM
I am back after a brief bout with bilateral carpal tunnel in my wrists after Nationals. After anti-inflamatories, injections and physical therapy, I am back on track and ready to ramp up for Master's Nationals. I decided to start a journal to help keep me on track...so let the transformation begin!

Hey Margaret! I'm sorry to hear about your injury! I hope you and Scott are doing well otherwise!

sassy69
02-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Hey Marageret! Glad to see you on the path to "healed" and gettign ready to kill it this year!

Suzanne
02-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Great to see you journaling here

Glad you on the mend and ready to hit it hard

Aaron Singerman
02-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Will you guys be at the AZ Pro show?

SallyAnne
02-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Hey, Miss brick abs! ;)

magsmalone
02-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Hey all! Thanks very much for the warm welcome. It is always good to know that others share the passion. Scott and I have been working hard at our day jobs so we will not be able to get to the Phoenix Pro or the Arnold. At this point we are doing good just to make it to the gym ourselves. Scott is up to 205 and looking and feeling good. I have my weight up to 133. Today was an off day for me so I just did a little cardio on my new eliptical (which I love) and went for physical therapy on my wrists. I am having them injected one more time tomorrow just for good measure. I'm thinking that by Monday I will be golden! Everybody keep on pushing on!

magsmalone
02-12-2010, 12:28 AM
I wish we were going. How about you guys? Are you going to Ohio for the Arnold? I just love to go to get charged! How is Amy? When is she competing?

magsmalone
02-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Great to see you journaling here

Glad you on the mend and ready to hit it hard

Thanks girl! I see you are still hitting it hard.

magsmalone
02-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Hey Marageret! Glad to see you on the path to "healed" and gettign ready to kill it this year!

I will give it my hardest push this year! Thanks for the support.

magsmalone
02-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Hey, Miss brick abs! ;)

HA! You are funny. The Abs usually hibernate in the winter but it seems like there was not much off season this year. It's already time to crank it up again.

Aaron Singerman
02-12-2010, 12:56 AM
I wish we were going. How about you guys? Are you going to Ohio for the Arnold? I just love to go to get charged! How is Amy? When is she competing?

I'm going to the Phoenix show by myself... But Amy is competing at the Arnold Am fitness (assuming she stays on her diet). It's going to be a busy year! I'm glad to hear you all are well... I'm up to 275... And I'm 99% sure I'm going to the branch Warren classic this summer.

tammyp
02-12-2010, 05:56 AM
glad to see you journaling here! ill be following!

wildcat22
02-12-2010, 07:26 AM
I love this girl!! She is a great role model for the sport!! She has two girls a husband works full time at a High Stress job and still can put it togeather for a show!!

GirlyMuscle
02-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Welcome!!! Following along!!

2hot4u
02-12-2010, 07:30 AM
can't wait to follow your journal!!!!

magsmalone
02-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Ok...my life may be a little too hectic to get to my computer every day. I will be more like a 3 times a week updater. I had my wrist injected yesterday which was not too bad. I was still able to work shoulders and chest without too much problem. Afterwards, rushed off to watch my daughters cheer a high school basketball game. This morning had a descent leg workout and then transported my future fitness chicks of America to gymnastics to perfect their standing tucks. They make flipping around look so easy. I think that I would break my hip! Planning to do Back early tomorrow so that we can have time for Valentines celebration. Also Plan to do a little extra cardio just in case I succumb to any Valentines confections. Here's hoping everyone gets lots of Loving tomorrow! We all deserve it!

magsmalone
02-13-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm going to the Phoenix show by myself... But Amy is competing at the Arnold Am fitness (assuming she stays on her diet). It's going to be a busy year! I'm glad to hear you all are well... I'm up to 275... And I'm 99% sure I'm going to the branch Warren classic this summer.

Wow! 275....that's awesome. My daughters want to do teen fitness this summer so i will be contacting Amy about possibly making their costumes. Wish her luck at the Arnold. I'm sure that she will rock the house. When is the Branch Warren?

magsmalone
02-13-2010, 07:19 PM
glad to see you journaling here! ill be following!

Hey Tammy! I will be following your Pro debut as well. I'm trying to follow in your footsteps.... although it is quite challenging to keep up! Thanks for the support.

magsmalone
02-13-2010, 07:26 PM
I love this girl!! She is a great role model for the sport!! She has two girls a husband works full time at a High Stress job and still can put it togeather for a show!!

You are such a sweetie! I must say you have inspired me. How is the prep for guest posing going? I wish that I could see you perform. Happy Valentines Day! Have fun with your cute husband!

magsmalone
02-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Welcome!!! Following along!!

Thanks very much! Greatly appreciate the support!

magsmalone
02-13-2010, 07:29 PM
can't wait to follow your journal!!!!

Wow! Your back is incredible! I will try to make you say that about me! Ha!

2hot4u
02-13-2010, 09:23 PM
what do you mean? I think you are amazing!!!! I am sure you are going to do great this year!!!
Wow! Your back is incredible! I will try to make you say that about me! Ha!

magsmalone
02-15-2010, 04:01 PM
I hope everyone had a great Valentines day. I may have overindulged a little on chocolate covered cherries that my husband gave me! I did however manage to get a little cardio in last night at 11:00 pm before bed. We worked out back an biceps yesterday which felt pretty good. My workout included mostly heavy sets. I am still trying to grow a little.

Behind the neck lat pull downs 4 sets X 10 reps
Front lat pull downs 4 sets X 10 reps
Seated wide grip cable rows 4 X 10 reps
Seated close grip machine rows 4 X 10 reps
Bent over one arm dumbbell rows 4 X 10 reps
Bent over curl bar rows to gut 4 X 10 reps
Lying overhead dumbbell rows 4 X 10 reps

Close grip curl bar biceps curls 4 X10 reps
Wide grip curl bar biceps curls 4 X 10 reps
Hammer curls with dumbbels 4 X 10 reps
Dumbbell seated curls 4 X 10 reps
Machine biceps curls 4 X10 reps

4 sets of 20 reps of ab machine crunches...then done!

After the workout came the downfall of dinner and thats when the chocolate covered cherries came into play. I think I managed to counteract the damage with my make up cardio! I finished work early today so will hopefully have good training session tonight.

magsmalone
02-15-2010, 04:05 PM
what do you mean? I think you are amazing!!!! I am sure you are going to do great this year!!!
Thanks Girl!

AnglicanBeachParty
02-15-2010, 04:16 PM
That's cool that you will have a Journal here ...

I saw you compete at North Americans last year, and was impressed.

magsmalone
02-16-2010, 12:54 PM
That's cool that you will have a Journal here ...

I saw you compete at North Americans last year, and was impressed.
Thanks very much! It is a ever evolving work in progress. Hopefully I will be able to inch my way to the top this year with a little blood sweat and tears. Thanks for the support.

magsmalone
02-18-2010, 12:36 AM
Tonight I am still stuck at the hospital but I am getting ready to leave pretty soon. It was a very long day and I am thinking that i will not train tonight (it is already 1030 pm). Maybe a little cardio just to shirk off the day.
Last night I had a great leg workout and I have been feeling it all day. I did most of my sets with heavy weight....still wanna grow!

Squat 5x12 reps
Leg press triple set wide/narrow/calf 4 x 10 x 10 x20 reps
Plate loaded step back lunges 4x12 reps
Romanian dead lifts 5 x 12
Hamstring hanging extensions 4 x 12
Lying leg curls 4 x 12
Seated quad extensions 4 x 12
Inners and outers 4 x 15
calf raises 5 x 20

My patient is out of the recovery room now so I am heading home.
Seriously in need of sleep!

Suzanne
02-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks very much! It is a ever evolving work in progress. Hopefully I will be able to inch my way to the top this year with a little blood sweat and tears. Thanks for the support.

That is what is so great about our sport - being a work in progress and each year unveiling an improved physique from the year before!

Hope you had a great weekend

tammyp
02-22-2010, 11:24 AM
are you planning on staying a LW? its tough to make that weight! hope you dont have to worry about it to much longer:)

magsmalone
03-02-2010, 01:18 PM
are you planning on staying a LW? its tough to make that weight! hope you dont have to worry about it to much longer:)
Yes, I am planning to remain a lightweight for this year anyway. At the rate that I am going it will be more difficult to make weight but I am hoping that I can make it to 114.5 # !! Not much room for error....somehow I always seem to make it by the skin of my teeth.

magsmalone
03-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Ok...Feb 29th never came...but I did come back from my dream vacation. My husband took me to Tahiti for a week to celebrete my very GRANDE birthday and our anniversary. We had a fabulous time and I must admit that I misbehaved more than a little. I think I may have packed on a few pounds and I am pretty sure it is not muscle! I got a little slammed at the hospital when I got back to work yesterday. It doesn't take long to get snapped back into reality. So here it is the begining of March and the bell is going off in my head...time to FOCUS!
Today my plan is to blast my shoulders with the ten best damn delt builders ever! (muscle mag) This will include 3 sets of 8-10 reps of the following exercises:
1. standing db lateral raise
2. machine lateral raise
3. lying low pully lateral raise
4. seated overhead db press
5. wide grip smith upright rows
6. seated bent over db lateral raise
7. reverse peck deck
8. seated overhead wide grip barbell press
9. alternating front db raise
10. seated Arnold's db press

Wow! Thats a lot of sets! I'm tired just after writing it. May the force be with me!

magsmalone
03-04-2010, 05:17 PM
I made it through the shoulder blast on Tuesday and am feeling a little sore today. I had to work 15 hours yesterday so by the time i got home it was a little late. I just did some cardio on my eliptical to unwind from a hectic day. Today, I am planning to hit upper and lower back with a little leg at the end. I wish I was going to the Arnold this weekend..but I guess I have to stay here and FOCUS! Here is my plan today.

deadlifts 3x8-10
pullups 3x8-15
bentover barbell rows 3x8-10
reverse grip pulldowns 3x10-12
seated cable rows 3x10-12
stiff leg deadlifts 3x10-15

wide grip pull downs 4x8-10
closegrip v bar pulldowns 3x8-10
high pull machine 3x8-10
low pull machine 3x8-10

leg curls 4x12-15
leg extensions 4x12-15
seated calf raise 4x20
standing calf raise 4x20

magsmalone
03-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Friday I hit arms:
skull crushers 4X12
triceps dips 4x12
rope press downs 4x12
single arm cable press downs 4x12
bent over db extensions

close grip barbell curl 4x12
db preacher curls 4x12
reverse curl bar curls 4x12
db hammer curls 4x12

abs decline cruches 4x25
seated lean back ab crunches legs out then in 4x25
lying cable crunch 4x25

Saturday we went to another gym on the otherside of town and did legs
warmed up with 3 sets of curls and extensions 15 reps
leg press 4x12
hack squat 4x12
smith machine squat 4x12
seated calf 4x15
standing calf 4x15
lying curls 4x12
extensions 4x12
inners and outers 4x15

Today cardio only
Yes, I missed a chest workout somewhere in there.... It was a very hectic week. Hopefully the coming week will be calmer.
I heard the Arnold was great. I'm excited about getting ready to compete again. I guess it is in my blood!

magsmalone
03-09-2010, 08:53 PM
This week I am planning to try to push some heavy weight. I am doing a 2 day body split with a day of rest in between. I will power lift every other day and just do cardio on the rest day. Yesterday, I did heavy chest, shoulders, triceps and biceps.

bench press 4 pyramid up sets to where max rep is 5
then 5 x 5 reps

seated overhead db press 4 pyramid up sets to where max is 5 reps
then 5 x 5 reps

parallel bar dips 4 pyramid up sets to where max rep is 5
then 5 x 5 reps

chest barbell curl 4 pyramid up set to where max rep is 5
the 5 x 5 reps

decline abs holding quarter plate 4x25 reps

I definitely felt the heavier weight and today I will do cardio only.

I had a 400 pound patient today that challenged my recovering wrists so I did go to pysical therapy. Ultrsound and parafin wax...it felt soooo good!

magsmalone
03-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Yesterday I did the second half of my body split power lifting.

squat - 6-8 pyramid up sets to max rep of 5
then 5 x 5 sets

bent over barbell rows reverse grip - 6-8 pyramid up sets to max rep of 5
then 5 x 5 sets

Dead lifts - 6-8 pyramid up sets to max rep of 5
then 5x5 sets

barbell shrugs- 6-8 pyramid up sets to max rep of 5
then 5 x 5 sets

I pushed as heavy a weight that I could and I seriously felt it!
Today I am feeling a little total body ache. planning to take some motrin and do cardio only today and do the first half of my body split again tomorrow.

We had a power failure in the operating room today! It's very challenging to have a patient under anesthesia and have all the power suddenly go out. The room was pitch dark not to mention the ventilator not working. Fortunately, the back up generator kicked in quickly and we could all breath a sigh of relief. Talk about a stress test! Never a dull moment.

magsmalone
03-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Yesterday, I did the first half of the bodysplit again with a few more pyramid up sets and with my max weight ending up a little heavier.

Bench press 7 pyramid up sets to max rep of 5
then 5x5 sets

seated overhead db press 7 pyramid up sets to max rep of 5
then 5x5 sets

tricep hoist machine push down 7 pyramid up sets to max rep of 5
then 5x5 sets

curl bar curls 7 pyramid up sets to max rep of 5
the 5x5 sets

Abs decline crunches holding 25# plate 4x25
hanging leg ups 4x25
Machine crunches 4x25
decline leg raise 4x25

I am really feeling the heavy weight now in my joints!
Today I will do only cardio and tomorrow I will squat and dead lift.

Happy weekend to all!

magsmalone
03-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Today it is squat and deadlift day. I was dreading it but in the end I survived and came out stronger. It is taking me more sets to get up to a max rep of five and the max weight is definitely heavier. So it is safe to say I am getting stronger! I just hope that I am growing too.

squat 7 pyramid up sets to max rep of 5
then 5x5 sets

bent over rows 7 pyramid up sets to max rep of 5
then 5x5 sets

dead lift 7 pyramid up sets to max rep of 5
the 5x5 sets

barbell shrugs 7 pyramid up sets to max rep of 5
then 5x5 sets

I gotta say this heavy weight is making me very sore..both muscle and joint. It feels good though in a sick kind of way. I feel like I know that I am making progress.

magsmalone
03-17-2010, 09:37 PM
I have been getting slammed at work this week. Going to hit shoulders tonight.

Seated overhead press 5x8
DB lateral raise 5x8
Bent over lateral raise 5x12
Front plate raise 5x12

Abs 4x30
twisting crunch machine
Hanging knee raise
Reverse crunch
Cable crunch
Captain crunch...jk
Knee ups

I have had some major stress at the hospital this week so I'm looking forward to getting to the gym and working out my aggravation. I had to choose between a green apple martini or a workout tonight and the weights won. Maybe they will serve green protein shakes!

tammyp
03-18-2010, 06:38 AM
good work outs mag....and that trip sounds awesome!

magsmalone
03-22-2010, 07:24 PM
good work outs mag....and that trip sounds awesome!
Thanks Tammy!...I am still trying to catch up to you! The birthday trip WAS unbelievable. I must say my hubby really surprised me about our destination. We had a great time. The highlights were a nearby cyclone and a tsunami. We also went on a scuba diving shark dive...that was exciting and a little scary.

magsmalone
03-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Ok...I never quite made it to my computer the end of last week. I was busy as usual but I also had to renew my ACLS certification which took up any of my spare time. My Journal is not like a medical record in that if I didn't write it down...then it didn't happen. Rest assured...I DID do my workouts. I just never had a chance to write them down. I do still feel the need to document what I did so here goes...

Thurs- back

Bent over barbell rows 4 warm up sets
then 5x8 reps

Wide grip pull down 3 warm up sets
then 5x10 reps

Seated cable rows 4 warm up sets
then 5x8 reps

Hoist mid row machine 4 warm up sets
then 5x8 reps

Hoist glide wide pulldown machine 4 warm up sets
then 5x8 reps

Friday-legs

Dead lifts 4 pyramid up sets
then 5x10 reps

squat 4 pyramid up sets
then 5x 10reps

lying leg curl 5x12

leg press 5x12

leg extension 5x10

standing calf raise 6x15
seated calf raise 6x20

Sat-arms

barbell curls 4 warm up sets
then 5x8 reps

Incline db curls 4 warm up sets
then 5x10 reps

Hammer curls 4 warm up sets
then 5x10 reps

e-z curl bar preacher curls 4 warm up sets
then 5x 10 reps

Parallel bar dips 5x10

Skullcrushers 4 warm up sets
then 5x12 reps

cable press downs 4 warm up sets
then 5x12 reps

Sunday-I did cardio only

Today- Monday I plan to do chest and abs

Bench press 4 pyramid up sets
then 5x8 reps

Incline barbell press 4 pyramid up sets
the 5x10 reps

Incline db flys
5x12 reps

abs

hanging knee raises 4x30
twist crunch machine 4x30
lying cable crunch 4x30
kneeling cable crunch down 4x30

And that will bring me up to date with my documentation!
I am happy to report that I finished my ACLS recertification..just in case anyone decides to have a cardiac arrest in my presence! jk

tammyp
03-25-2010, 06:15 AM
i dont know how you train and compete with the job you have. when do you sleep???

magsmalone
03-26-2010, 12:36 AM
i dont know how you train and compete with the job you have. when do you sleep???

That is something that I am really working on this season. I went for a very long time last year just sleeping 4-5 hours a night and I think it finally caught up with me. I am no longer taking call so that helps a lot. No more work all day and all night. I am trying to get at least 6 hours every night now. I don't have to work the weekends anymore so I can sometimes get 7-8 hours of sleep on the weekends. As you know sleep is so important for growth and recovery. I am hoping that the added sleep will bring me to the top! lol...dare to dream!

magsmalone
03-26-2010, 01:09 AM
It's already Wednesday and I am trying to fit in all of my workouts before we leave town on Saturday. We are going to Albuquerque for our daughters' Varsity competitive cheerleading competition. They both compete on the same squad which makes it good for us. Monday I worked chest, Tuesday-back and Wednesday arms. I just realized that it is Thursday....I think I need some sleep. Today I worked shoulders. Here are the workouts that I did.

Monday-Chest and abs

Bench Press 4 warm up sets
then 5x8 reps

Incline bench press 4 warm up sets
then 5x10 reps

Incline db flys 5x12 reps

twist crunch machine 4x30
hanging knee raises 4x30
knee ups 4x30
cable crunch 4x30

Tues-Back

Wide grip pull down 4 warm up sets
then 3x6-8-10 reps

Seated cable rows 4 warm up sets
then 3x6-8-10 reps

One arm smith rows 4 warm up sets
then 3x8-10-12

straight arm pull down 4 warm up sets
then 3x8-10-12

Weds-Arms (4 warm up sets for all biceps and triceps exercises)

Standing barbell curls 4x6-6-8-8
Smith machine drag curls 3x6-8-10
Standing one arm cable curl 3x8-10-12
one arm scott curl 3x8-10-12

cable push downs 4x8
cable rope outs 4x8
skull crushers 4x8
close grip press 4x8

Today-shoulders
db lateral raises 4x8
cable lateral raises 4x8
db front raises 4x8
hoist machine shoulder press 4x8
machine rear delt seated bent over raise 4x8

That about covers my week so far. Ok it is 11:00 and time for me to hit the sack!.....so I can get my 6 hours of sleep!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-26-2010, 06:13 AM
That is something that I am really working on this season. I went for a very long time last year just sleeping 4-5 hours a night and I think it finally caught up with me. I am no longer taking call so that helps a lot. No more work all day and all night. I am trying to get at least 6 hours every night now. I don't have to work the weekends anymore so I can sometimes get 7-8 hours of sleep on the weekends. As you know sleep is so important for growth and recovery. I am hoping that the added sleep will bring me to the top! lol...dare to dream!

That is a weak point for me, too. I am going to experiment with adding at least a half hour to my daily sleep. I'm currently around 6 hours per night.

Good luck with your goals!

magsmalone
03-27-2010, 02:37 PM
That is a weak point for me, too. I am going to experiment with adding at least a half hour to my daily sleep. I'm currently around 6 hours per night.

Good luck with your goals!
Thanks very much. Good luck to you too. If only there was a few more hours in a day and another day of weekend we would be set!

magsmalone
03-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Yesterday I worked legs pretty hard and we are driving to Albuquerque today. Last night was Maryellen Jerumbo's birthday celebration (gym owner and pro bodybuilder). After workout I had a couple of glasses of wine with her to celebrate! I do not normally drink but i must say it was a good time sitting around with friends in the gym. I may be a little stiff from my workout by the time we get to Albuquerque today. Here is my leg workout from yesterday.

leg extensions 5x10
leg curls 5x10
leg press 5x10
squat 5 pyramid up sets then 5x10
machine lunges 5x10 right and left
seated calf 4x20
bent over calf 4x20

Today I did cardio only. I don't think that I will get to train tomorrow because we will be at the cheer competition all day and then drive back tomorrow night. Gotta be at work bright and early Monday morning. The good news is that my husband is driving so maybe I can sleep!

magsmalone
03-31-2010, 08:51 PM
Having a hard time getting to my computer this week. I still need that extra hour in a day! Today is back workout. I am trying to grow bigger Lats so that I can pose them easier. This is a pose that is still more difficult for me to hit. Here is my plan for tonight...

Front pulldowns 3x15 superset with
straight arm pulldowns 3x20

low pulley rows 3x15 superset with
high rope pulls 3x20

machine t-bar rows 3x15 superset with
back extensions 3x20

If I still have time and/or energy, I will then do some ab work.

Well Masters Nationals is just 16 weeks from this Friday!!!!
I am starting to feel the surge! I think that I am pretty on track...I just have to keep doing the work. Little by little I make progress. It has only taken me 25 years to come this far! HA! Just keep swimming...just keep swimming!

quackduckoregon
04-02-2010, 07:38 PM
If you wouldn't mind, it would be helpful to include the weights used so that we would have some frame of reference for patterning our own workouts. Thanks so much.

magsmalone
04-05-2010, 12:27 AM
It is the eve of Easter Sunday and the extended family members have all gone home. I'm sitting here trying to remember what workouts that I did when! That's what happens when you turn 50!!! No, seriously I do remember that I worked out biceps and triceps on Thursday, shoulders and abs on Friday and legs on Saturday. Today is cardio only. The workouts that I did were kind of "make up as you go along" workouts...totally unplanned before going to the gym. I usually try to plan out what I will do before I get to the gym but this week was very hectic and I barely had time to get to the gym let alone make a plan. Anyone else feel this type of time crunch? I got some good news...I will be able to cut back my hours of work at the hospital this year. The bad news is that it will not be until August 1st. This is AFTER Master's Nationals. It sure would be nice if it happened before my competition! Oh well, beggars can't be choosy! Right? I hope everyone had a good Easter weekend and I will try to do better next week in actually getting my workouts to the journal. I am taking call tomorrow for one of my partner's who tore a ligament in his thumb and just had surgery so Tuesday will probably be my next entry.

magsmalone
04-05-2010, 12:42 AM
If you wouldn't mind, it would be helpful to include the weights used so that we would have some frame of reference for patterning our own workouts. Thanks so much.
Sure I can do that. When I am lifting heavy as I have been doing for the off season, I usually pyramid up to the number of reps that I am shooting for. So if I want to do 4 heavy sets of 6 reps, then I will keep doing sets heavier and heavier until I can only do 6 reps. Then I will do the 4 sets at that weight. I am planning to continue to lift a little heavy for another month and then I will have to cut the weight back a little and start to try to get lean for competition. I will do my best to enter the weight as well as the sets and reps. Keep up the work, MAGGS

magsmalone
04-06-2010, 02:06 PM
My 16 year old daughter just startedte doing the Insanity home workout routine last night. I promised her that I would try to do some of the workouts with her so we did the first one last night after work and before I went to the gym. It was a good cardioworkout lots of plyometrics. Yesterday was the first day of my SERIUOS diet. I have been cleaning up my diet for the last month or so but now it is serious business! I worked shoulders last night at the gym.

Hoist machine shoulder press 4x90x10
db front raise 4x20x10 superset with front plate raise 4x25x10
db lateral raise 4x25x10 superset with curl bar upright rows 4x50x10
bent over db rear delt lateral raise 4x20x10 superset with db shrugs 4x45x10
cable lateral raise 4x30x10
cable front raise 4x30x10

abs
decline crunch 4x25x30 holding 25# plate
Machine crunch 4x50#x30
hanging knee up cruch 4x30

Today I am planning to do back and probably a little insanity with my daughter later.

magsmalone
04-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Last nights back workout

wide grip pulldowns 3 warm up sets then 3 work sets 6x90 , 8x80, 10x70
dead lift 4 warm up sets then 3 work sets 6x155, 8x135, 10x115
One arm smith machine row 3 warm up sets then 3 work sets 6x65, 8x60, 10x55
seated low back row hoist machine 3 warm up sets then 3 work set
6x90, 8x70, 10x50
straight arm pull down 3 warm up sets the 3 work sets 6x90, 8x80, 10x70
Pull ups 4x15

After workout, I went home and ate dinner and then did the insanity cardio/plyometrics workout with my daughter. I must say it did kick my butt! I was dripping sweat by the time I finished. I figure it is a good way to get lean and spend time with my daughter at the same time.

magsmalone
04-09-2010, 12:32 AM
last nights arm workout

standing alternate db curls 3x8-10-12 40-35-30
standing barbell curls 2x6x55, 2x8x50
standing cable curls one arm 3x8-10-12 45-40-35
one arm scott curls 3x8-10-12 30-25-20

rope pressdowns 3x8-10-12 90-80-70
overhead db extensions 3x8-10-12 40-35-30
bodyweight dips 4x15
close grip bench 3x8-10-12 105-95-85

Today I had a very long day at work so ended up just doing cardio. I was really beat!

Tomorrow I am planning to do chest and legs. We are going to LA for another cheer competition tomorrow night. Be back late Sunday night.

SallyAnne
04-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Last nights back workout

wide grip pulldowns 3 warm up sets then 3 work sets 6x90 , 8x80, 10x70
dead lift 4 warm up sets then 3 work sets 6x155, 8x135, 10x115
One arm smith machine row 3 warm up sets then 3 work sets 6x65, 8x60, 10x55
seated low back row hoist machine 3 warm up sets then 3 work set
6x90, 8x70, 10x50
straight arm pull down 3 warm up sets the 3 work sets 6x90, 8x80, 10x70
Pull ups 4x15

After workout, I went home and ate dinner and then did the insanity cardio/plyometrics workout with my daughter. I must say it did kick my butt! I was dripping sweat by the time I finished. I figure it is a good way to get lean and spend time with my daughter at the same time.

I haven't tried the insanity workout - but I did do the p90x cardio DVD with a friend who ordered it and they work you. lol

magsmalone
04-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Ok... I fell off the face of the earth for a while! Rest assured that I have been training hard and keeping up the diet. I am still doing insanity with my daughter at night and that takes a little extra time out of my already full day. I just have not, as of late, been able to make it to my computer to enter my workouts. I am happy to say ther is a small opening in the time/space warp and I am here at my desk for a few moments today. I am on my way to the gym to blast shoulders. I will try to be more diligent about my entries. For now, however, I must go train! First and foremost!

magsmalone
04-20-2010, 07:23 PM
I haven't tried the insanity workout - but I did do the p90x cardio DVD with a friend who ordered it and they work you. lol
I also did P90X last year. It is also a kicker. This insanity has been quite a workout. I find myself soaked from head to toe when I finish! Hopefully it is doing me some good.

Ibarramedia
04-20-2010, 07:45 PM

I have a lot of respect to hwo you can still train like that. :beerbang:

magsmalone
04-23-2010, 03:11 PM
I finally made it home and it is still daylight!. This week has been filled with anesthesia complexities! I must say it can sometimes be very exhausting. It takes a lot of energy at times. I have been dealing with all sorts of patients...from 4 pound premature babies with respiratory failure to 400 pound morbidly obese patients for gastric bypass surgery. They keep the operating room very warm for the little babies (it feels like 80 degrees), and the regular operating room is kept at a freezing state! The extremes of temperature fluctuation from one case to the next is enough to send you off the deep end. I try to keep from stressing too much because I know that stress releases cortisol which is not good for the fat burning mode that I am trying to achieve. The gym always seems to bring me back down to an even keel . I feel the stress pooring out as sweat and then I can just wipe it away! Ahhh the sweet sound of the weights clanking together....and I am home! I hit shoulders on Tuesday and Back yesterday. Here is a synopsis of my workouts.

shoulders

front db raise 4x10x25#
front cable raise 4x10x20
lateral db raise 4x10x30
lateral cable raise 4x10x20
bent over db lateral raise 4x10x25
machine bent over lateral raise 4x10x20
shrugs 4x10x40
standing butt scratchers! 4x10x25

abs
5x30 decline bench crunches with 25 # plate
5x30 kneeling rope pull downs to floor

back

Cable rows 4x15x90
narrow grip pull downs 4x15x120
lat pull downs 4x15x100
machine hyperextensions 4x15x15
seated machine row (hoist machine) 4x10x70
one arm rows 4x10x35
bent over rows 6x10x45
pull ups 6x10x body weight

repeated same ab exercises as tuesday

I tried to do chin ups but it killed my shoulders and elbows so I crossed that off my list of movements that I am able to do. Sometimes I think it its important to listen to your body when it say "STOP..DONT DO THAT"! The trick is to know when it is something that is truly doing more harm than good. It is important to know the difference between this scenario and the one in which it just hurts a lot and you want to stop but you are actually making gains. That is definitely the good kind of pain! I am planning to do arms and chest today and legs tomorrow. I am still doing the "insanity" with my daughter at night. I really do enjoy that time with her. I'm not sure she is loving it that much. It is in fact insane!

magsmalone
04-23-2010, 03:27 PM
I have a lot of respect to hwo you can still train like that. :beerbang:

Thanks very much! I think training is therapeutic for me and I really do look forward to getting to the gym everyday. I do tend to get a little cranky and frustrated when my day gets too long at work and I start feeling my workout slipping away. I do sometimes not make it but I have learned to accept it and just keep pushing forward. The sleep issue is another story. I am still working on finding the extra time for that. Thanks for your comments!

magsmalone
04-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Its Monday afternoon and again I am home from work early! Woohoo! Time to catch up my workout log. Friday I worked chest and a little shoulder. Saturday I trained legs and Sunday I trained back. Here is the work done.

Chest / Shoulders

flat bench 4x 10x 110 (used Sorinex apparatus)
incline bench 4x 10x 110 (Used Sorinex apparatus)
Hoist chest press machine 4x10x90
Hoist decline press machine 4x10x90
flat bench db flys 4x10x20
incline db flys 4x10x20
pec deck 4x 10x50

db lateral raise 4x10x20
db front raise 4x10x20
bent over db raise 4x10x20
shrugs 4x10x40

legs

I warmed up with 4 sets of extensions amd stretching. I am needing a lot more warm up and stretching time these days!

smith machine lunges 4x15x50
free squat 4x15x135
hack squat 4x15x90
leg press machine 4x15x90
extensions 4x15x50
curls 4x15x30
inners and outers 4x15x50
standing calf raise 4x20x120
bent over calf raise 4x20x120

Back

behind the neck pull downs 4x10x50
crose grip pull downs 4x10x60
t-bar rows 4x10x25
plate loaded close grip machine row 4x10x90
bent over rows 4x10x90
plate loaded machine shrugs 4x10x90

abs hanging incline bench v ups 4x20
cable kneeling rope crunches 4x20

Today we are planning to do mainly shoulders and a little chest. For now I'm off to do some cardio. Is it just me or does the degree of difficulty escalate as you approach a competition? I am starting to hurt all over! oy vey!

magsmalone
04-28-2010, 08:13 PM
This week has actually been kinda slow at the hospital so that has been good to give me a little more time to do all the other things on my lists. I have been having good workouts and I feel sore all over. I did shoulders and chest on Monday and legs on Tuesday. We are trying to start a new schedule so we ended up doing legs Saturday and Tuesday. I almost did not train on Tuesday because my husband was dead set on doing legs and sticking to our new plan. My legs were so tight that I was not sure that I could hang. I went ahead and did them anyway and they actually felt better after I loosened them up a bit. Here is what we did.

shoulders

front db raise 4x10x25
leaning to working side standing lateral db raise 4x10x25 (I hold on to smith machine)
smith machine seated front shoulder press 4x10x50
bent over seated plate loaded rear delt machine 4x10x40
one arm db pull ups 4x10x25
curlbar pullups 4x10x55

legs

warm up 3 sets of curls and 3 sets of extensions LOTS of stretching
sorinex plate loaded squat 4x15x135
dead lifts 2x15x115, 2x15x135
hack squat 4x15x90
lying leg curls 4x15x50
seated leg extensions 4x15x70
standing calf raises 4x20x120
seated calf raises 4x20x45
inners 4x10x50
outers 4x10x70

I did cardio and insanity on Monday also but not on Tuesday as I could hardly walk! Feeling better now so off to do cardio and then train arms later tonight.

tammyp
04-29-2010, 06:17 AM
who preps you mag?

magsmalone
05-03-2010, 08:11 PM
who preps you mag?
I have always done my own prep but I started working with Dave after North American last year. I felt like I had taken myself as far as I could on my own and that I needed a little help. I felt like I was in the best condition of my life at Nationals last year so I think that he helped me a lot.

magsmalone
05-03-2010, 08:27 PM
I had a minor set back at the end of last week and had to take o few days off from lifting. I started getting the aura of a migraine headache while I was doing a case in the operating room. I had some visual deficit on one side that sort of freaked me out. I had to call one of my partners to relieve me from my case and I eventually went home. That is the first time that I have ever taken a sick day. I recovered from the full blown Migraine that followed the aura but I continued to have a dull ach in my head for a few days. I went to the gym several times and worked out but I did not feel like they were very good workouts because everytime that I would try to push myself my head would start to throb! NOT good! I finally just took a few days off from the gym and now I am as good as new. ha ha....This is what happens when you turn 50! Grrrrrr! Anyway I feel good now and I am planning 12 weeks of intensity to get myself to where I need to be on July 23. Cardio now and shoulders and chest tonight. Just keep pushing on!

magsmalone
05-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Had a great shoulder workout last night with a little chest at the end. The gym that we go to closes at 11:00 so you would think that we would be home by 1130 right? Well we are friends with the gym owner and the employees that work there so we always end up shooting the bull for about 30 minutes after closing. By the time I get home and take a much needed shower, it is 1230 and I am just getting 5 hours of sleep AGAIN. I just can't seem to get my butt in bed early enough. Today and Thurs we should be able to work out earlier so maybe I can get make up sleep on those days. My goal is 6 hours every tues and thurs. So Mon and Weds will be the only days that I am really sleep deprived! My husband and I were planning to get certified in scuba diving this month but I am not sure that we have the time to actually do it. Hubby is also competing at Masters Nationals. Here is our workout last night:

Shoulers

Standing db lateral raise with thumbs down
15x10
17.5x10
20x10
22.5x10
Seated overhead db press
2x12x22.5
2x12x25
Lying low pulley lateral raise
4x10x30
seated bent over plate loaded machine
4x12x15
Machine lateral raise
4x12x50
seated smith machine front press
4x10x50
wide grip smith machine upright rows
4x10x20
superseted with
db shruggs 4x10x40
close grip smith machine upright rows
4x10x40
superseted with db lateral rows
4x10x30

chest

Hoist body motion chest press machine
4x12x50 + body weight
Hoist bady motion incline chest press machine
4x12x50 + body weight
Hoist body motion decline chest press
4x12x50 + body weight

Also did some abs in between sets.

Today I already did cardio (low intensity) and plan to do legs later this afternoon.

I got my copy of NPC news yesterday and I got all aggrivated again that I did not place higher at North American or Nationals last year. The agony of defeat! This lit a fire under my ass to press on to get leaner harder and fuller than ever before! ha ha easy to say...not so easy to do! Onward through the fog!

magsmalone
05-05-2010, 07:07 PM
We went to our old gym yesterday and ended up being there for about 3.5 hours. We had a great leg workout and also saw many of our old friends that we had not seen for a while. It is always good to reconnect with old friends. Here is the workout that we did:

warmed up with some stretching followed by 4 light sets of leg extensions and leg curls

smith machine squat
1x15x135
1x15x145
1x15x150
1x15x155

bent over glute extension machine
4x15x50

hack squat
4x15x110

leg press wide
4x15x180

leg press close
4x15x180

Calf pump on leg press 4x15x180

walking lunges with db
4x across gym and back with 20#db

one leg extensions 4x15x50

seated curls
4x15x50

Inners and outers 4 sets

seated calf raise 4x20x120
standing calf raise 4x20x120

When we got home my daughter was waiting for me to do insanity with her so I also did that after we had dinner. I did not do a lot of the jumping because my legs were fried. Tonight we are planning to do back. I am feeling good but kinda sore all over.

magsmalone
05-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Yesterday when I got home from work I did my cardio first and then I did Insanity with my daughter. After that we ate dinner and hubby and I went off to the gym. I thought we were going to do back but it was arm day. I have to admit that I was relieved. I was dreading doing back because my whole body hurts! Here is the workout:

Triceps

rope outs 4x12x50
cable press down 4x12x70
lying triceps curl bar extensions 4x12x50 superset with
close grip press 4x12x50
seated dips 4x15xbody weight superset with
bent over db extensions 4x12x20
one arm tricep cable extesions pronated grip 4x12x30
one arm tricep cable extensions supinated grip 4x12x20

Biceps

Hammer curls 4x12x25
seated db curls 4x12x30
seated one arm isolation curls 4x12x30
standing curl bar curls 4x12x50
standing supinated curls 4x12x20

abs
seated v ups 4x30
decline crunch with 25# plate 4x30
cable rope crunch 4x30

We made it home by 11:15 and I managed to get 5 hours of sleep. Tonight we will do back and I will do cardio and maybe the insanity if there is still time left in the day.

janet kaufman
05-08-2010, 12:37 AM
I have always done my own prep but I started working with Dave after North American last year. I felt like I had taken myself as far as I could on my own and that I needed a little help. I felt like I was in the best condition of my life at Nationals last year so I think that he helped me a lot.

Dave is great! He has helped me a ton as well.
Your training looks intense how do you get all your energy with that little bit of sleep? I always drag ass.

magsmalone
05-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Dave is great! He has helped me a ton as well.
Your training looks intense how do you get all your energy with that little bit of sleep? I always drag ass.

There is a little voice inside my head that keeps telling me to keep pushing on! I'm sure that you hear it too. I mostly hear it late at night. Do you think that I need to see a doctor about this? (lol) Seriously, at times I do feel like I am loosing my mind with the diet the cardio and the workouts all mixed in with the rest of my life. It looks like you are doing great with your training. Your ass is far from dragging! It looks pretty high and tight to me! Keeping up with you actually helps keep me on track. Keep up the fight!

magsmalone
05-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Thursday we trained back and Friday we did chest and shoulders. Both days I did cardio and insanity with my daughter. Today my husband came down with the flu so we did not train legs. We plan to do it tomorrow morning before the family comes over for mothers day. I love to start mothers day off with squating...instead of pancakes! Here is our workouts:

back

deadlift
2x15x135
1x12x155
1x12x175

bent over rows
4x12x55

straight arm pull downs
5x15x70

one arm db rows
4x12x40

standing low cable rows
4x12x80

standing high cable rows
4x12x80

seated lat pull downs fronts
4x12x60

Chest

bench press on sorinex apparatus
4x10x140

Incline spherical plate loaded press machine
4x10x50

standing bent over high cable fly
4x12x30

standing bent over low cable fly
4x10x20

ab machines x 7
4x30 on each machine

shoulders

db front raise
4x12x20

curl bar standing rows
4x10x55

machine plate loaded shoulder press
4x10x50

machine plate loaded seated bent over rear delt
4x10x40

db lateral raise
4x12x25

db shrugs
4x12x45

Today I did cardio this morning and may do insanity later tonight. Tomorrow will be a busy day with all of the people wanting to tell me what a mother I am! (ha ha) Happy Mothers day to all and don't forget to thank your mom for making YOU!

magsmalone
05-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Well I did start out Mother's day with a killer leg workout! I AM a serious Mother! We trained with one of pur friends who is also a trainer. We decided to let him call the workout because Scott (hubby) and I did not want to have to think. BIG mistake...He kicked our butts! My legs were aching the rest of the day. Here is what we did:

extensions
4x15x70
seated hack squat machine
4x15x90
seated extensions toes inward
4x15x50
incline free motion squat machine
4x15x20
standing one leg curls
4x15x25
leg press
4x50x90
walking lunges across gym and back x4
db squat 4x1minute as many reps as it takes x 20db
1x20x22.5
1x20x25
1x20x27.5
lying curls
10/10/10/10
full/half/quarter/half/full (range of motion)
bent over calf machine
4x2x150
standing calf machine
4x20x150
tibialis machine
4x10x20
seated calf raise 4x15x45

Today I gave anesthesia to my stepmother who had to have her enlarged spleen removed. I am happy that it is in the past now. It's a little different when it is your family member. They were able to get it out laparoscopically which means she will make her recovery easier. That was my excitement for the day. For now I am off to do cardio.

Ibarramedia
05-10-2010, 10:02 PM
A dumb question, but what is insanity? You mentioned a few times that you do that.

janet kaufman
05-10-2010, 11:40 PM
There is a little voice inside my head that keeps telling me to keep pushing on! I'm sure that you hear it too. I mostly hear it late at night. Do you think that I need to see a doctor about this? (lol) Seriously, at times I do feel like I am loosing my mind with the diet the cardio and the workouts all mixed in with the rest of my life. It looks like you are doing great with your training. Your ass is far from dragging! It looks pretty high and tight to me! Keeping up with you actually helps keep me on track. Keep up the fight!

I hear that voice at night too. sometimes it says ice cream!! I am trying to keep up with you. You have some great workouts. Hang in there.

magsmalone
05-11-2010, 04:25 PM
A dumb question, but what is insanity? You mentioned a few times that you do that.
Insanity is a cardio based total body conditioning program that is on DVD. It is a series of different workouts that are abour 45 min to 1 hour long. It is a lot of plyometrics and crossfit type exercises. It is high intensity intervals of exercise with short periods of rest. I usually do it with moderate intensity rather than high intensity because I do not want to end up burning precious muscle! The main reason that I have been doing it is because my teenage daughter wanted to get in shape for a cheer program that she is attending at the University of Hawaii this summer and I am trying to help her stay on track. It is our quality time together! I figure all the core exercises will not hurt my training and it might actually help my overall pakage.

Ibarramedia
05-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Insanity is a cardio based total body conditioning program that is on DVD. It is a series of different workouts that are abour 45 min to 1 hour long. It is a lot of plyometrics and crossfit type exercises. It is high intensity intervals of exercise with short periods of rest. I usually do it with moderate intensity rather than high intensity because I do not want to end up burning precious muscle! The main reason that I have been doing it is because my teenage daughter wanted to get in shape for a cheer program that she is attending at the University of Hawaii this summer and I am trying to help her stay on track. It is our quality time together! I figure all the core exercises will not hurt my training and it might actually help my overall pakage.

That makes sense now. I was wondering what this thing you and your daughter were doing. :ok: :D

magsmalone
05-13-2010, 04:41 PM
That makes sense now. I was wondering what this thing you and your daughter were doing. :ok: :D
We started the second phase of Insanity this week and I have to say It is kicking my butt. It is a full hour and a level harder than the first month. I feel my core very sore in places that I have never felt soreness before. I think that doing these different types of exercises is definitely helping to sculpt my core.

magsmalone
05-13-2010, 05:17 PM
So far this week I have worked shoulders, legs and arms. I am doing cardio daily and I did insanity (2nd level-kicked my butt) on Monday. I did cardio already today. I will do back today and insanity later tonight. Here are the workouts that we did:

shoulders

lateral db raise 4x12x20
lateral cable raise 4x12x30
leaning lateral db raise 4x12x25
front db raise 4x12x25
front cable raise 4x12x40
front plate raise (25#) plate 4x12x12
seated db press 4x12x30
db shrugs 4x12x45
rear delt pin select machine 4x12x40
standing db (arms to the side) rows

abs
kneeling rope crunch 4x30x90
incline bench v ups 4x30

legs
warmed up with curls and extensions 4 sets of light weight 20 reps
smith machine squat 4x15x135 after 3 warm up sets
smith machine lunges 4x15x50
hack squat 4x15x180
leg press 4x15x180
curls 4x15x50
extensions 4x15x80
bent over calf raise 4x20x120
semi seated incline calf raise 4x15x150
inners and outers 4 sets of each

biceps

standing db curls 4x12x25
barbell curls 4x12x50
seated db curls 4x12x25
scott curls 4x12x25
hammer curls 4x12x20

triceps

standing db overhead estension 4x12x30
cable rope outs 4x12x50
cable push downs 4x12x50
lunging cable extensions 4x12x60
bent over kick backs 4x12x25
seated pin select tricep push down.

abs

kneeling rope crunches 4x30
knee ups on flat bench 4x30

Thats all for now. gotta get busy!

magsmalone
05-15-2010, 08:13 PM
I am starting to feel good...like I might actually reach my physique goal by July 23rd! I always feel better about life in general on Saturday because I get a good 8 hours of sleep on Friday night. On Friday I was thinking that I was going to have an easy day at work and even get off early. I was slammed the moment that I walked in (630am) with an emergency 1 kg premature newborn (that's tiny) with numerous congenital anomalies which required surgical repair. Not the happy go lucky day that I had anticipated! I do think that I lost 5 pounds during that case because we have to keep the room so hot for the little babies (they lose their body heat very quickly). Anyway, I got through the day and eventually made it to the gym to de-stress! Thursday we trained back, Friday chest and shoulders and today legs. I did cardio and Insanity on Thurs and Friday. Here are the workouts:

Back

lat pull downs behind the neck 4x12x70
seated cable rows 4x12x80
dead lifts 5x15x135
one arm rows 4x12x30
lying overhead db rows 4x12x50
standing plate loaded shrugs 4x12x50
hyperextesions 4x20

Chest

flat bench db press 2x12x35 then 2x12x40
flat bench db fly 4x12x20
incline db press 2x12x30 then 2x12x35
incline db fly 4x12x20
pec deck 4x12x60
seated press machine 4x12x70

shoulders

db lateral raise 4x12x25 with thumbs down
db front raise 4x12x25
rear delt machine 4x12x50
shoulder press machine 4x12x70

abs

decline crunch wirh 25 # plate 4x30
incline leg up crunch 4x30
kneeling cable crunch 4x30
seated knee ups 4x30

Legs

curls 4x15x60
extensions 4x15x40
squat on sorinex apparatus 4x12x135
leg press wide 4x15x180
leg press close 4x15x180
calf raise on leg press 4x20x180
reverse hack squat 4x12x90

thats it for now

magsmalone
05-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Sunday I was feeling really sore all over and very fatigued. My husband and I decided to take the day off from lifting. I hardly ever do that deliberately but I think we both needed some recovery. By Monday morning I felt ready to face another week. Yesterday I did insanity for an hour and about 30 minutes on my eliptical. We got to the gym late...about 930 and worked out until 1100. We did mainly shoulders and a little chest. Today we are planning to do legs. Here is yesterday's workout

shoulders

standing db press
4x12x25
seated db press
4x12x30
standing cable front raise
4x12x20
standing cable lateral raise 4x12x20
standing curl bar upright row
4x12x65
seated bent over machine plate loaded rear delt
4x15x10 (sounds light but akward position)
seated plate loaded shoulder press
4x15x20 (machine arms are weighted)

chest

hoist roc-it plate loaded machines for chest
seated press
4x12x50
seated incline press
4x12x50
seated decline
4x12x50

abs

We did several sets of ab exercises interspursed throughout the workout.
seated v ups 4x30
feet fixed hanging situps 4x30
flat bench crunches 4x30
lateral crunches 4x30 on each side

I felt bad leaving work today because there were a lot of cases still to be done. It was my turn to leave early so I'm sure I will be there late tomorrow. I guess that I have to take advantage of the opportunity.

I sent in our entry forms for the competition yesterday. It is official now! I am getting a little nervous and excited about the whole thing. Must be bigger/harder/leaner/prettier/tanner! Can anyone think of anything else that I need to be? Seriously, I can use all the help that I can get!

SallyAnne
05-18-2010, 08:47 PM
"bigger/harder/leaner/prettier/tanner!" - NO PRESSURE. lol

I though you looked pretty damn good the last time you competed!

wildcat22
05-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Margaret you seem really motivated for this one!! Thanks for the props in the Tampa post. Honestly I am really nervous about this one!! I will probable be one of the smallest ones their. I am setting the bar really low I just want to beat someone I dont want to be last!! As for you I think you are going to be just fine!! Send me some pics if you dont have my e-mail pm or text me!!

janet kaufman
05-18-2010, 11:39 PM
I thought you looked awesome at Nationals.

magsmalone
05-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback girls! SallyAnne and Janet, I think that you are both unbelievable athletes and I am looking forward to kicking some butt with you ladies in Pittsburgh! So keep up the hard push so that we can rock the house! Tracy, I am sure that the moment that you walk on stage that everyone will be thinking "where did this ripped and beautiful competitor come from?" You WILL surprise yourself. I wish that I could be there to cheer you on. I will send you some pics as soon as I feel worthy of taking them (lol). Thanks for all of your support.

I guess that we all start to feel the intensity as the competition approaches. I know that I do. My husband and I are both struggling with our weight and the mirror on a daily basis. This year I got my weight up to 140 and started coming down in Mid March. I had gotten down to 122 last week but this week I shot up to 124. I am hoping that I can get back down by the end of the week so that I do not have to tell Dave that I actually gained weight! Dave, if you are reading this then I guess I will pay come Sunday night (lol). Don't worry...I'm sure it is just water or muscle...NOT THE DREADED F WORD!

Tuesday we worked legs and last night we did arms. I did do the eliptical both Tuesday and yesterday and also did Insanity last night. My daughter got winded during Insanity and had to stop to rest. when she came back she said "Great, I just got beat by a 50 year old lady". I said do you have to say "50 year old lady"! The truth hurts! So do all of my joints! I forgot to take my arthrolyze for the past week and I think that has a lot to do with my aching joints. I just threw away the last empty arthrolyze and forgot to replace it. Derrrrr! Here are the workouts that we did:

Legs

extensions
5x15x50
laying leg curls
5x15x40
smith machine squats
5x15x135
smith machine reverse lunge
5x12x95
Hack squat
4x15x95
leg press close
4x12x180
leg press wide
4x12x180
leg press calf
4x20x180
db squat
4x15x40
inners and outers 4 sets
bent over pin loaded calf
4x20x150
incline slide calf machine
4x20x150

biceps
seated db curls
4x12x25
standing curl bar curls
4x12x45
standing db hammer curls
4x12x20
machine pin loaded curls
4x12x50
standing cable curls arms overhead
4x12x30

triceps

single arm pronated wrist cable tricep extensions
4x12x40
single arm supinated wrist cable tricep extensions
4x12x30
cable rope outs
4x12x50
skull crushers curl bar
4x12x50
close grip press
4x12x50
bent over db extensions
4x12x15

a gazillion sets of ab exercises reps of 30 between sets of triceps

I am going to attempt to do cardio now. I am hoping that my joints will feel better once they heat up. Later today we will train back. I only got 4 an a half hours of sleep last night so I am going to try to get to bed at a descent time. So much for my plan to get more sleep this year. As Dorey (the fish in Finding Nemo) so wisely said "just keep swimming, just keep swimming"!

magsmalone
05-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Thursday we trained back, friday chest and shoulders and today legs. We did not train yesterday because my husband got a SERIOUS nose bleed! It was gushing blood and would not stop. I almost had to take hime to the hospital. It sounds funny but I stuck a tampon up his nose and held pressure for awhile and it finally did stop. He wanted to go squat afterwards but I made him stay home. I did cardio Thurs Fri and Satuday and insanity on Thursday and Sat. Here are the workouts that we did:

Back

front wide grip cable lat pulldowns
4x12x70
rear wide grip cable lat pulldowns
4x12x60
dead lift
2x10x135,2x10x155
hyperextensions
4x20 holding 25# plate
standing plate loaded shrugs
4x12x135
seated cable rows
4x12x90

chest

flat bench db press
4x12x40
flat bench db fly
4x12x20
incline db press
4x12x35
incline db fly
4x12x20
pec deck
4x12x5
seated foward press pin loaded
4x12x60

shoulers

seated pin loaded press
4x12x60
standing rear delt pin loaded machine
4x12x40
standing db lateral raise
4x12x25
standing db front raise
4x12x25

abs
hanging leg raise
4x30
seated knee ups
4x30
cable rope crunch
4x30x90
incline leg ups on incline bench
4x20
I sort of kinked my neck on these so thats when I knew that I was done!

Today we did legs. I had to cut my workout short because I started feeling light headed, pukey and just all around green in the gills. I think maybe I did not eat enough before going to train. Anyway here is what I did get through:

curls
5x15x50
extensions 5x15x30
squats on smith
2x12x155
2x12x175
1x12x180
reverse lunge on smith
4x12x50
db sqaut
4x12x50
leg press wide
4x12x180
leg press narrow
4x12x180
calf on leg press 4x20x180

I skipped inners and outers and more calf because I did not want to puke in the gym. I called my kids to come get me because I knew that my husband would not be done for a while. I felt much better after I ate. Does that ever happen to anyone else? I think that when your diet is so strict, you have to take something in every 3-4 hours otherwise you can bottom out. I guess the added leg workout on top of hypogycemia was too much for me today. This bodybuilding business can be so frustrating sometimes! Well onward through the fog and into a new week. I did manage to get my weight back down to 121 so at least I am making some progress.

AnglicanBeachParty
05-24-2010, 08:54 AM
I skipped inners and outers and more calf because I did not want to puke in the gym. I called my kids to come get me because I knew that my husband would not be done for a while. I felt much better after I ate. Does that ever happen to anyone else? I think that when your diet is so strict, you have to take something in every 3-4 hours otherwise you can bottom out.

Definitely!

magsmalone
05-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Hello all! Yes I did sort of fall off of the face of the earth there for a while. It was a rough weekbut I got through it. I just have had no spare time at all and I have been doing good just to get my workouts done and do my cardio. Hopefully this week will be easier. With the added time that I am putting in at the gym and the long hours at the hospital I have not been getting much sleep. I am going to try to get some rest this weekend. I will try to stay on top of my journal next week. Sufficed to say that I am making progress day by day. My weight is back up to 123# but I think that I am getting more dense! At least I hope that is what it is. Gotta go get busy for now...

magsmalone
06-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Another week flew by and once again I was slammed. I did manage to get all of my workouts in and get most of my cardio done. We are almost done with the Insanity program. Yay!!!! We only have one more left. I did manage to lose a pound this week. My weight is now 122#. I am not sure that I will ever find the time to log my workouts in the weeks to come but I will at least make an attempt.

One of my friends was in a motorcycle accident last week and they had to amputate her foot and take out her spleen the night of the accident. The next day she was pronounced brain dead. She donated her organs so at least we can think of her living on in some way. I went to high school with her and she was the mother of one of the cheerleaders on my daughter's squad. What makes it worse is that she was riding on the back with her husband and he is still in a coma. The poor daughter has some older half siblings that are already married so she is kind of all alone. We pray that the father comes out of it and survives. It really does put things into perspective. It is good to realize what you have when you have it!

I continue to hope that life will slow down so that I can catch my breath.

janet kaufman
06-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Another week flew by and once again I was slammed. I did manage to get all of my workouts in and get most of my cardio done. We are almost done with the Insanity program. Yay!!!! We only have one more left. I did manage to lose a pound this week. My weight is now 122#. I am not sure that I will ever find the time to log my workouts in the weeks to come but I will at least make an attempt.

One of my friends was in a motorcycle accident last week and they had to amputate her foot and take out her spleen the night of the accident. The next day she was pronounced brain dead. She donated her organs so at least we can think of her living on in some way. I went to high school with her and she was the mother of one of the cheerleaders on my daughter's squad. What makes it worse is that she was riding on the back with her husband and he is still in a coma. The poor daughter has some older half siblings that are already married so she is kind of all alone. We pray that the father comes out of it and survives. It really does put things into perspective. It is good to realize what you have when you have it!

I continue to hope that life will slow down so that I can catch my breath.

I am sorry to hear about your friend.

magsmalone
06-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks Janet. I left work for an hour yesterday to go to her funeral. It was very sad. The good news is that her husband is starting to come out of his coma so maybe the daughter won't end up an orphan. When I got back to work there was a patient that was crashing in the cath lab and we had to rush him to the operating room for emergency bypass surgery. I have been trying to not release stress hormones as part of my contest prep...but sometimes it just happens. I am determined to get my weight back down to 121 by the end of this week. I figure that I will be 6 weeks out and will have 6 pounds to lose. I am sure that I can lose 1 pound every week from now on.
I actually almost fell asleep at work today so I am going to take a nap (something that I never do) and then got to the gym later. If I can figure it out I will post some pictures this weekend.

tammyp
06-10-2010, 06:18 PM
THAT is so sad mag. im so sorry.

janet kaufman
06-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks Janet. I left work for an hour yesterday to go to her funeral. It was very sad. The good news is that her husband is starting to come out of his coma so maybe the daughter won't end up an orphan. When I got back to work there was a patient that was crashing in the cath lab and we had to rush him to the operating room for emergency bypass surgery. I have been trying to not release stress hormones as part of my contest prep...but sometimes it just happens. I am determined to get my weight back down to 121 by the end of this week. I figure that I will be 6 weeks out and will have 6 pounds to lose. I am sure that I can lose 1 pound every week from now on.
I actually almost fell asleep at work today so I am going to take a nap (something that I never do) and then got to the gym later. If I can figure it out I will post some pictures this weekend.

It is good that the husband is doing better. I take naps almost every day on my lunch hour it is the only thing that keeps me going. Hang in there.

magsmalone
06-12-2010, 12:48 PM
I am stuck at work today. WAAAAA!!!! I am doing a favor for one of my partners who wanted to go out of town. I figure that he will pay me back when I need someone to cover for me. I am planning to try to get to the gym later.
Speaking of naps...yesterday I fell asleep while driving and almost hit a car! That was a wake up call! (no pun intended) When we got home from dinner last night I went straight to bed and did manage to get 7 hour of much needed sleep!
My friends husband is starting to respond to his daughter's voice so that is a good thing. I think that he might come out of it ok.
I got a ticket yesterday on my way to work. I was late as usual and speeding. I might be getting a little cranky because I yelled at the police officer and told him that he had one minute to write the ticket! I think that I scared him because he apologized and said he would hurry. He did still give me the ticket though. I had not eaten yet....do not mess with a bodybuilder when it is time to eat! HA!
going to try to get out of the hospital soon so that I can get to the gym while I still have energy!

janet kaufman
06-12-2010, 09:24 PM
I am stuck at work today. WAAAAA!!!! I am doing a favor for one of my partners who wanted to go out of town. I figure that he will pay me back when I need someone to cover for me. I am planning to try to get to the gym later.
Speaking of naps...yesterday I fell asleep while driving and almost hit a car! That was a wake up call! (no pun intended) When we got home from dinner last night I went straight to bed and did manage to get 7 hour of much needed sleep!
My friends husband is starting to respond to his daughter's voice so that is a good thing. I think that he might come out of it ok.
I got a ticket yesterday on my way to work. I was late as usual and speeding. I might be getting a little cranky because I yelled at the police officer and told him that he had one minute to write the ticket! I think that I scared him because he apologized and said he would hurry. He did still give me the ticket though. I had not eaten yet....do not mess with a bodybuilder when it is time to eat! HA!
going to try to get out of the hospital soon so that I can get to the gym while I still have energy!
sounds like it was quite the day. I can totally relate to the don't mess with a bodybuilder when it is feeding time. I turn evil. Try to have a better week next week.:)

magsmalone
06-13-2010, 11:34 PM
I managed to get some rest this weekend and I am ready to face a new week. I got my weight down to 121# but I still need to up my cardio...WAAAA!!!!! Oh well...you gotta do what you gotta do right?

magsmalone
06-16-2010, 11:46 PM
I did a great deal of cardio yesterday and today. Surely my weight will start to drop faster soon. Yesterday I did shoulders and it felt pretty good. I am now taking Mondays and Wednesdays off from lifting because these seem to be the days when I work the longest and have less time and energy. It is very difficult to fit it all in every day. I feel like I am definitely getting leaner but my body aches all over pretty much every day. This bodybuilding is supposed to keep you young but sometimes I feel like I am 150 years old!. I guess as long as I don't look 150...then I am doing ok. My 16 year old daughter is now training with my husband and I. Since we finished Insanity she wanted something else to do. She is even doing all the cardio that I do. I think we have messed her up for life! ( but in a good way) ha ha. Here is the workout that we did yesterday.

Shoulders

standing lateral db raise 4x15x25
standing front db raise 4x15x25
shoulder shrugs 4x15x45
standing rear delt machine 4x15x50
standing cable lateral raise 4x15x20
standing cable front raise 4x15x20

Abs
decline crunch with 25# plate 4x25
seated knee ups 4x25
hanging leg ups 4x25

I am working on my posing routine and practicing my posing in my spare time. Ha ha- like I have any of that! I want to make sure that I show up poised and stage ready! My good friend Josie Zamora is competing this weekend at JR Nationals in figure class B. I think she has a good chance of winning her Pro Card. GO JOSIE!

magsmalone
06-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Had a long day at work today. Lots of very sick people to take care of today. I went to the police station to try to finagle my way out of my tickets...but to no avail. I have to reset my court date because I will be out of town on the day that they gave me. I made it to the gym and worked hamstrings and lower back and then did cardio. I still have more cardio to do tonight! Here is the workout that we did:

dead lifts 4x15x135
stiff legged barbell lifts 4x15x60
hyperextensions 4x15 holding 25# plate
lying hamstring curls 4x15x40
seated hamstring curls 4x15x90
machine bent over butt extensions single leg 4x15x50
seated calf raise 4x20x120
standing calf raise machine 4x20x120

Plan to do chest tomorrow, quads and upper back on Saturday and arms on Sunday.

My mom is having surgery tomorrow at my hospital for a cyst/fluid collection around her spinal chord. She had a tumor removed about 3 years ago. Hopefully everything will go well and she will b re cooperating at our house this weekend.

For now I am off to do cardio...AGAIN! Not sure how long my joints are going to hold up. Thank g-d for Arthrolyze!

magsmalone
06-20-2010, 09:55 PM
I did manage to do all of my workouts this week and all of my cardio sessions. I also dropped a couple of pounds so I must be on track! My daughters took off for Colorado today so I will be doing my cardio solo this week. My mom made it through her surgery and is now at our house for a recovery period. She is 79 and about 100 pounds. She is in pretty good shape. She even goes to the gym 2-3 times a week. Pretty impressive I think!

Here are the workouts that I did the rest of the week:

chest

flat bench db press 4x15x40
flat bench db fly 4x15x15
incline bench db press 4x15x35
incline db fly 4x15x15
seated chest front press pin loaded machine 4x15x90
pec deck 4x15x50

abs
decline crunch 4x30 with 25# plate
rope cable crunch 4x30x90
seated knee ups 4x30
hanging leg ups 4x30

Quads
leg extensions 4x15x50
db squat 4x15x40
smith machine squat 4x15x135
smith machine reverse lunges 4x15x85

upper back

lat pull downs 4x15x90
one arm plate loaded lat pull 4x15x65
pull ups 4x15
seated cable rows 4x15x90

biceps

curl bar curls 4x15x50
db seated curls 4x15x20
db hammer curls 4x15x20
hanging isolation db curls 4x15x20

triceps

cable bar pushdowns 4x15x70
cable rope outs 4x15x50
close grip bb press 4x15x50
skull crushers 4x15x50

abs

Today I did a repeat of the abs that I did on Thursday. I am happy to report that the abs have come in! Haha

My good friend Josie Zamora just won her Pro card at Jr Nationals! She won the overall! We here in El Paso, Texas are so proud of her! Now I am really inspired!

magsmalone
06-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Monday I did cardio only and worked a gazillion hours at the hospital. Yesterday I got off early so I decided to do a spinning class for part of my cardio. I thought I was gonna die! I have a spinning bike at home that I use for some of my cardio sessions but it is a little different when you are in the class and the instructor is screaming "faster faster"! It was actually kind of fun. A lot more exciting than the elliptical or treadmill. Both of which I also have at my house. Anyway, I did that class, practiced my routine and posing, went home to eat,went to the grocery store,went to get my nails done, went back to the gym to train shoulders, went home, ate dinner, did more cardio,washed my hair, dried my hair.....and by that time it was midnight again! Where does the time go?
Here is the shoulder workout that I did:

curl bar pull ups 4x15x40
seated military press on smith machine 4x15x95
shrugs 4x15x50
db laterals 4x15x20
db fronts 4x15x20
rear delt machine 4x15x50
leaning lateral db raise 4x15x20
front plate raise 4x15x25# plate
bent over db laterals 4x15x20

abs a gazillion sets of different ab excercises (TNTC) to numerous to count!

Today i did one session of cardio, gave anesthesia to patients for a craniotomy and 3 back surgeries, managed to get some food in me and now I am going to do another cardio session. I am hoping to get off early again tomorrow. Thats it for now.

wildcat22
06-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Mags I give you tons of credit not many could keep up with your schedule. Let alone the workouts and cardio. Keep it rollen girl your almost their!!

janet kaufman
06-24-2010, 09:48 PM
:yourock:my god woman! how do you do it? It is amazing on how many things you can get in a day and function on little sleep.

magsmalone
06-28-2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks very much Tracy and Janet for being in my corner! I just luv you guys! It is comforting to know that we are all going through the same thing. I am sure that you all have many things that you juggle around to make the time to train. We just all do what we got to do to get where we want to be...Right? Im talking to you too TammyP and Sallyanne! Anyway, I am afraid that time got the better of me last week and I never quite got the time to log my workouts. I did however do all my workouts and all of my cardio sessions. I had a little knee pain on the weekend so had to cut my leg workout a little short. I did not want to make it worse and end up not being able to do cardio so I ended up just stopping after awhile. I am happy to report that the knee pain is now gone and I did not miss any cardio sessions. We are now less than 4 weeks until Masters and I am getting very psyched!

magsmalone
07-02-2010, 12:38 AM
I know that I have been neglecting my training journal but I have to set priorities and many times I just don't make it through my list of things to do. I am happy to say that we are going on vacation on Saturday to Hawaii!!! Our kids are already over there at the University of Hawaii Cheer Hawaii program for a week. We are going over to go to the parent functions while they are there. We are going to sleep, train, do cardio, lay in the sun and stick the diet! Wooohoooo! No work will be great for a week. I am actually looking forward to the long plane ride so that I can get some sleep! We are planning to work out at the Honolulu Club that is near our hotel. Our plan is to be chiseled when we get back on the 11th. At that point we will be 2 weeks out . Yipes! Well gotta go do more cardio now. Be back in a week!

AnglicanBeachParty
07-02-2010, 06:29 AM
I know that I have been neglecting my training journal but I have to set priorities and many times I just don't make it through my list of things to do. I am happy to say that we are going on vacation on Saturday to Hawaii!!! Our kids are already over there at the University of Hawaii Cheer Hawaii program for a week. We are going over to go to the parent functions while they are there. We are going to sleep, train, do cardio, lay in the sun and stick the diet! Wooohoooo! No work will be great for a week. I am actually looking forward to the long plane ride so that I can get some sleep! We are planning to work out at the Honolulu Club that is near our hotel. Our plan is to be chiseled when we get back on the 11th. At that point we will be 2 weeks out . Yipes! Well gotta go do more cardio now. Be back in a week!

That sounds like a cool trip! Have fun!!

magsmalone
07-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Hi all! I made it back from my trip and hit the floor running Monday morning. I have barely had time to catch my breath with all the work, workouts and cardio. I am happy to report that we will be ready to compete next week! I do not have a lot of time for sitting at my computer. For now I have to go train and do a little more cardio. I hope everyone out there is doing good and sticking to the plan!

magsmalone
07-14-2010, 08:57 PM
That sounds like a cool trip! Have fun!!
Thanks, it was a great trip. We ended up ttaining at 24 hour fitness in Wykiki. It was right down the beach from our hotel. My teenage daughters were at Cheer Hawaii so that was exciting for them. I even got to stunt with some of members of the Penn State cheer squad. I'm a real cheerleader now! We also went scuba diving which was pretty darn cool too.

magsmalone
07-20-2010, 01:50 AM
One final note before I go off to compete. It has been a great pleasure chatting with all you peeps! Thanks for the inspiration. To all who are in contest prep mode...may the force be with you and with me too!

Melissa
07-20-2010, 05:25 AM
Good luck this weekend....go get 'em girl!

AnglicanBeachParty
07-24-2010, 10:48 PM
You looked incredible, Margaret!!

Very impressive!

magsmalone
07-26-2010, 09:42 PM
You looked incredible, Margaret!!

Very impressive!
Thanks very much!!! I am now trying to figure out what to do next. I can't go to many days without a new goal. We are going to Vegas to WATCH the USA. I will really enjoy being there as a spectator. I forgot to get my t-shirt and I didn't get to see all the rx muscle people that I wanted to see in real life...yourself included. The whole weekend was kind of a blur. I was very surprised and confused when they told me back stage that they moved me up to 1st in the over 35 category because Stacy already had won her pro card. They traded my 2nd place trophy and Stacy gave me the 1st place trophy. Then told me to go out on stage for the overall. I was not expecting to go out again at all. Stacy said don't ask questions just take the opportunity. It was very graciuos of her to step out and allow me the chance for the overall. I'm sure the audience was wondering why I was out there...especially because they did not even announce my name. Oh well...onward through the fog! If you ever see me anywhere please come up to me so I can look into your eyes and know your face! Thanks for the support!

AnglicanBeachParty
07-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks very much!!! I am now trying to figure out what to do next. I can't go to many days without a new goal. We are going to Vegas to WATCH the USA. I will really enjoy being there as a spectator. I forgot to get my t-shirt and I didn't get to see all the rx muscle people that I wanted to see in real life...yourself included. The whole weekend was kind of a blur. I was very surprised and confused when they told me back stage that they moved me up to 1st in the over 35 category because Stacy already had won her pro card. They traded my 2nd place trophy and Stacy gave me the 1st place trophy. Then told me to go out on stage for the overall. I was not expecting to go out again at all. Stacy said don't ask questions just take the opportunity. It was very graciuos of her to step out and allow me the chance for the overall. I'm sure the audience was wondering why I was out there...especially because they did not even announce my name. Oh well...onward through the fog! If you ever see me anywhere please come up to me so I can look into your eyes and know your face! Thanks for the support!

Dang, I wish I wasn't so shy. I had two chances to talk to you on Saturday, and didn't take either one.

The first was in the morning, and my family and I were strolling down the street that runs in front of the Sheraton, and we saw you go past in the other direction, wearing a gorgeous black and aqua blue dress. But the "momentum" of my family kept me walking.

Then, for a while, at the evening show, after you had competed, you sat down just a few seats to the left of me and my son. But I would have had to step over people to talk to you, and other classes were still going on onstage.

Next time I will say "Hi" ... I promise!

FBB ELISA CHARM
11-13-2010, 01:24 AM
subscribed.... I am learning a lot here.
thanks for sharing... baby steps...I am getting there!
:gn:

magsmalone
06-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Hi all! I decided to update my journal from last year and get back in touch with all you rx peeps! Since Masters last year I have competed twice. Placed 2nd at Nationals and 6th at the Arnold in March. I am now getting ready for Masters Nationals and the USA. Much like everyone else, I am struggling to get lean and get down to my weight class. I competed at 120 at the Arnold so getting down to 115 again has been challenging to say the least! I just barely made it to 124 today with 6 weeks left to go. It is time for overdrive! I have been working long hours at the hospital and sometimes I have to choose between training or doing cardio. I wish I could do cardio during my cases (I'm an Anesthesiologist for those newcomers). I decided to just do my own thing as far as training and diet go for these two shows. I have been fortunate enough to get some help from Chris Cormier who happens to be high school friends with one of my friends in El Paso. I am psyched to have the influence of his expertise! Posing has always been one of my weak points.....mainly because I never take the time to practice until the week of the show (too many other things that I have to do every day). Anyway, he is helping me with that and general advice. I guess you could say he is my psuedotrainer. I just do not have the time to take weekly pictures and send updates every week. I'm using that time to get a little more sleep. I'm up to 5.5 - 6 hours a day. Yay!!! I feel much better when I can get 6. I think after 25 years of competing I know how my body responds to all the manipulation of diet and training. I do think that it changes from year to year and every year I learn more. I worked with Dave for awhile and he will always be my guru and go to guy. I just had a hard time with the no carb diet, extreme cardio and sleep deprivation all at once. It was very difficult to continue to give quality anesthesia and think straight at work. I also had Noel Fuller help me for one show (the Arnold) and I also learned a lot from him. So anyway, here I am back on my elliptical dreaming of brining home the gold! I have been keeping up with many of your journals and will rejoin the commentary. Men and women of Iron, keep on pushing on!

tammyp
06-13-2011, 06:24 AM
kill it maggie.....i admire you so much w the schedule you keep and still manage to get in great shape.

magsmalone
06-13-2011, 07:22 PM
kill it maggie.....i admire you so much w the schedule you keep and still manage to get in great shape.

Thanks Tammy! I have always admired you also. I remember seeing you win your Pro card at the North American. You were so poised and confident on stage. I can only imagine how great you look now.

magsmalone
06-13-2011, 07:34 PM
I just finished my work day. Only 11 hours today! I usually do not lift on Mondays so today I will just do cardio and pose. Believe it or not I only did 2 cases in those 11 hours. They were just extremely log and complicated procedures. I stayed up too late last night paying bills and making reservations for our trips so only slept 5 hours. Feeling a little wiped out and trying to convince myself to get up off my ass and get on the elliptical. 1-2-3 GET UP!!!!

The Prodigy
06-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Glad your back lady! It will be fun to follow along on your journey!

magsmalone
06-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Glad your back lady! It will be fun to follow along on your journey!

Thanks Gail! It is always so hectic trying to prep for a show. I definitely feels good to be in touch with all the other gals and guys who are going through the same thing. Hang in there girl and just keep doing it!!

magsmalone
06-15-2011, 09:35 PM
I hit the floor running today. Got to work late because I could not wake up! Stayed up late doing cardio and making more reservations. Did a craniotomy and 2 anterior cervical disk fusions. Finished by 4 and had a meeting with my stockbroker to discuss how not to lose the money that I have saved so far.
I'm afraid I have a little problem going on inside of my knee. Torn meniscus??? I am trying to just keep from doing things that aggravate it. Last night when I got on the elliptical I had to turn sideways for the first 10 minutes or so and then the pain eased off.
For the last show I tried to keep the weights heavy right up until the show. In retrospect, I think a that I am better off easing up a little with the heavy weights as the competition approaches. I ended up injuring my back and my knee a few weeks before the Arnold which made it very difficult to train, pose and do cardio the last few weeks. I'm doing cardio abs and posing on Mon and Weds and training hard Tue, Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sundays. I have much more time towards the end of the week and on the weekend. Doing cardio now and will do a bit more before I go to sleep tonight.
Yesterday after work and before gym I took my youngest daughter to get her driver's license. It was kind of sad to see her drive off. My other daughter just graduated high school last weekend. It blows my mind how fast the time has gone by! How does that happen? We never change but our kids grow up! Lol

magsmalone
06-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Hi all! I have been trying to keep up with all the hoopla this weekend with the Toronto Pro and the Jr USA! Congrats to all the competitors who participated. It is always impressive to make it to the final day of a contest prep no matter where you end up placing. Remember your placing is the refection of the judges opinion on that day but the accomplishment of being there in your best condition possible is something to be proud of!
I have been training hard and doing my cardio as we speak. I have my weight down to 122 this morning. I hope to be 120 by next Friday. Work continues to be hectic and I am always fit to be tied by Friday. This past Friday I had one of the operating room techs pay me a great compliment. He said that I was a driving force in brightening up the worst of days in the operating room. He said that I was always cheerful and smiling and he thanked me for showing up every day. I was shocked because I feel like I walk around with my fists clenched half of the time. Anyway, he made me feel very appreciated! It just goes to show you that people may not always tell you what they are thinking but they do notice what you are doing.
I made my hubby some protein pancakes and we served them to him in bed this morning. He is a wonderful husband and Father!! We took it easy floating around in the pool all day. I feel rested and my knee feels a little better so I am on the elliptical now. I feel like I am ready to take on another week of contest prep/mother/wife/Anesthesiologist!! Onward!!!

magsmalone
06-24-2011, 01:01 AM
Ok tomorrow is Friday and I am still 122!! Not good! I'm hoping that I will drop this weekend. We are going to Venice beach tomorrow just for the weekend to train at Gold gym and get some help with posing from the real deal Chris Cormier. I'm super excited about that. It so happens that the west coast classic is there this weekend too so we will get to attend that as a bonus! 4 weeks to go and I'm getting a little nervous about my weight. I might have to make some drastic changes next week to rev up my metabolism. Until next week keep up the pump everyone!!

Suzanne
06-24-2011, 01:35 AM
Have fun at Gold's!!!

Don't worry about your weight you'll be good

Keep working hard

magsmalone
06-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Thanks Suzanne! I appreciate your support. I am on the plane now getting ready to go west in the pursuit of happiness! Lol

Sunnyday
06-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Cool! A mom who juggles FAR beyond what I do in a day with my 3 kids! Now I have ZERO excuses! Psyched to follow you over the next few weeks! Have fun at Gold's!

Sunny

magsmalone
06-27-2011, 08:21 PM
We are back from Venice Beach "The Mecca of Bodybuilding"!! We had a fabulous time. The trip was very fast but well worth the effort that we spent getting out there. We got in a couple of training sessions at Golds with Chris and I got to practice posing in the posing room with the mirrors. It really does help to be able to see your backside while posing. It also helped a lot to have Chris there giving me posing tips and techniques. I must say I am sore in places that I did not know existed! I'm thinking that that is a good thing.
Back to the grind today full force with many knee, hip and shoulder replacement surgeries. Just got home and trying to keep from falling asleep while I type this out. Really need to get off my butt and do cardio now. Press on warriors!

magsmalone
06-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Cool! A mom who juggles FAR beyond what I do in a day with my 3 kids! Now I have ZERO excuses! Psyched to follow you over the next few weeks! Have fun at Gold's!

Sunny

Thanks girl! I'm sure that you keep quite busy too. It is never easy for any of us but we continue to strive for perfection just because that's what we do! Right? Lol

Sunnyday
06-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Jealous you got to do posing practice in a REAL posing room!

Ya, what we put ourselves through - the mom thing, the bbing thing - keeps us from being bored, at least, LOL! Actually, I took up the bbing to lose the baby fat from #3 and ended up getting hooked. Then I found out it could make me a better mom - and it HAS. Who'da thought?

magsmalone
06-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Jealous you got to do posing practice in a REAL posing room!

Ya, what we put ourselves through - the mom thing, the bbing thing - keeps us from being bored, at least, LOL! Actually, I took up the bbing to lose the baby fat from #3 and ended up getting hooked. Then I found out it could make me a better mom - and it HAS. Who'da thought?

What show are you prepping for? Bbing or physique this year?

magsmalone
06-30-2011, 01:15 PM
I have am off of work until next Tuesday!!! Yipeeeeeeee!!! I'm hoping that I can make some real progress over the next week. Of coarse hoping and doing are two different things right? My two daughters took off to Cheer Hawaii yesterday for a week so it is REALLY quiet around my house. They usually come with us to the gym every day. I miss my little buddies! They are my own personal Cheerleaders. They are actually not that little anymore....almost 17 and 18! I sent in my registration for Master's so I am official now. I feel like I will actually be ready now. Still have to lose more weight but it is gradually coming off. I'm 120 today and plan to be 119 by the weekend. I really really really want to win my Pro card this year so I am pushing as hard as I can. I have been close many times and disappointed even more times in the past. I'm trying to go in with a winners frame of mind and plan to be a confident presence in Pittsburgh!! So everyone competing this season.....let's own the stage!!

Sunnyday
06-30-2011, 05:11 PM
What show are you prepping for? Bbing or physique this year?

Figure is where I'm at and probably where I'll stay. Given I'm short AND age 43 AND a natty besides, I don't know that I'd ever put on enough mass to compete in NPC figure unless I want to wait until I'm in my 50s. As much as I like the look of physique and much prefer the style of the posing, I think it's probably not a reasonable goal for me. OCB is the federation I'm with, seemed to be a good fit for my body type and the fact that I like being a big fish in a small pond. I'm currently 16 weeks out from OCB's Yorton Cup Nationals.

Sunnyday
06-30-2011, 05:25 PM
I have am off of work until next Tuesday!!! Yipeeeeeeee!!! I'm hoping that I can make some real progress over the next week. Of coarse hoping and doing are two different things right? My two daughters took off to Cheer Hawaii yesterday for a week so it is REALLY quiet around my house. They usually come with us to the gym every day. I miss my little buddies! They are my own personal Cheerleaders. They are actually not that little anymore....almost 17 and 18! I sent in my registration for Master's so I am official now. I feel like I will actually be ready now. Still have to lose more weight but it is gradually coming off. I'm 120 today and plan to be 119 by the weekend. I really really really want to win my Pro card this year so I am pushing as hard as I can. I have been close many times and disappointed even more times in the past. I'm trying to go in with a winners frame of mind and plan to be a confident presence in Pittsburgh!! So everyone competing this season.....let's own the stage!!

Woot! Sending in your registration is a great feeling. You're officially committed now! I think so much of placing well in a show is mental, as if the judges see it in your facial expression. My coach even pointed out in my comparison pics for the overall (in which I was outmuscled by the tall girl), that my face had a worried look. He was right, I was worried. I wasn't worried until that point. I think the judges picked up on it. I'm making VERY sure I work on that for the next show.

Must be a little bittersweet not having your girls with you right now. Empty house can be good and bad. But also must be nice because you can just focus on your diet and training and work. Stay focused like you are saying and you WILL get there. Control what you can, forget about what you can't, and concentrate on bringing your best package to that stage!

katt981
06-30-2011, 05:32 PM
We are back from Venice Beach "The Mecca of Bodybuilding"!! We had a fabulous time. The trip was very fast but well worth the effort that we spent getting out there. We got in a couple of training sessions at Golds with Chris and I got to practice posing in the posing room with the mirrors. It really does help to be able to see your backside while posing. It also helped a lot to have Chris there giving me posing tips and techniques. I must say I am sore in places that I did not know existed! I'm thinking that that is a good thing.
Back to the grind today full force with many knee, hip and shoulder replacement surgeries. Just got home and trying to keep from falling asleep while I type this out. Really need to get off my butt and do cardio now. Press on warriors!

Wow what an opportunity that was for you - you are so fortunate! We visited Santa Monica & Venice Beach last year - I could TOTALLY live there.. except I'd have three jobs to support my shopping habit, then I would have no time to go to the gym.. lol

magsmalone
07-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Woot! Sending in your registration is a great feeling. You're officially committed now! I think so much of placing well in a show is mental, as if the judges see it in your facial expression. My coach even pointed out in my comparison pics for the overall (in which I was outmuscled by the tall girl), that my face had a worried look. He was right, I was worried. I wasn't worried until that point. I think the judges picked up on it. I'm making VERY sure I work on that for the next show.

Must be a little bittersweet not having your girls with you right now. Empty house can be good and bad. But also must be nice because you can just focus on your diet and training and work. Stay focused like you are saying and you WILL get there. Control what you can, forget about what you can't, and concentrate on bringing your best package to that stage!

Yes, our house is kind of creepy quiet this week. We went to Vegas for the weekend. It was one of my friends 50th birthday. Got to work out on some different equipment which I think is always good. Also did some cardio on an elliptical that the feet glide side to side like skating. I definitely felt it in my legs. We are back home now and once again I am on the elliptical. I am down to 119 and plan to be 117 by this weekend. I got some of my suits in the mail today and that is always exciting. What show are you prepping for now?

magsmalone
07-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Wow what an opportunity that was for you - you are so fortunate! We visited Santa Monica & Venice Beach last year - I could TOTALLY live there.. except I'd have three jobs to support my shopping habit, then I would have no time to go to the gym.. lol

Yes, it was really a lot of fun and a great help to me with my prep. Cormier is really a very helpful guy. If you ever go to Venice Beach Golds look him up. I also got to meet and chat with Kris Murrell the IFBB pro bodybuilder. She was very sweet and supportive. She is switching to the physique division next year and is also an NPC judge. I have been debating on which division to sign up for at the USA which is one week after Master's. I'm still not 100 percent sure. I'm waiting until the last day to send that in.
I could totally live there too. It is nice to see so many health conscious people. My husband and I contemplated quitting our day jobs and becoming full time trainers. Lol

Sunnyday
07-04-2011, 11:35 PM
Yes, our house is kind of creepy quiet this week. We went to Vegas for the weekend. It was one of my friends 50th birthday. Got to work out on some different equipment which I think is always good. Also did some cardio on an elliptical that the feet glide side to side like skating. I definitely felt it in my legs. We are back home now and once again I am on the elliptical. I am down to 119 and plan to be 117 by this weekend. I got some of my suits in the mail today and that is always exciting. What show are you prepping for now?

Sounds like a cool elliptical you tried. Congrats on the scale cooperating.

My suit came in the mail yesterday as well. I had rented my suit for my first show from Tamee Marie and loved it so much I bought it. Tamee was nice enough to "polish" it up for me. Not that I need it any time soon, my show isn't until the end of October (OCB Nationals).

magsmalone
07-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Sounds like a cool elliptical you tried. Congrats on the scale cooperating.

My suit came in the mail yesterday as well. I had rented my suit for my first show from Tamee Marie and loved it so much I bought it. Tamee was nice enough to "polish" it up for me. Not that I need it any time soon, my show isn't until the end of October (OCB Nationals).

That's funny. I was buying a suit from her that someone rented and they liked it so much that they bought it. She is making me a new one. Was it a beautiful green suit? That would be too weird if it was the same suit! Lol where is OCB Nationals?

Sunnyday
07-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Not green. Mine is blue. I know the green one you like, that one is gorgeous!

OCB Nationals is in Bethesda, MD.

magsmalone
07-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Had a 14 hour work day yesterday and did cardio after last meal and before bed. I thought I was gonna die!! I had a revalation while doing cardio. For the first time I actually thought "Maybe I am actually an old lady"!!! I felt like I was 101 years old. I got my 5 hours of sleep and got up to get back to work. I got off earlier today and am doing cardio again as I write. I feel a little better today but knees are still aching a bit. I'm thinking I will start taking indocin (my anti-inflammatory of choice) to get me through the next few weeks. My hubby has been going through the contest prep with me for this show. He is not actually competing but wants to be contest ready when we go to Pittsburgh. This has made my life easier. He is a real sweetie! My weight is coming down SLOWLY. I'm sill hoping to be 117 by Sunday. I do not want to struggle to make weight like I usually do. I end up feeling so crapy that I can't pose. Live and learn. Off to the gym now

magsmalone
07-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Got called back to work tonight after only 30 minutes at home. Now just waiting for my patient to get out of the recovery room so that I can leave the hospital. I could feel my training and cardio time slipping away all day and now it is almost tomorrow so I guess I missed a whole day!! I keep thinking....other people don't miss a whole day! Well I guess there is only so much that I can control and so I just have to keep trudging through the fog!! I may end up going underground for the next few weeks just so that I can focus on the things that I need to do before competing. For now, I am on the road home from a long ass day!!

Ibarramedia
07-12-2011, 01:30 AM
Had a 14 hour work day yesterday and did cardio after last meal and before bed. I thought I was gonna die!! I had a revalation while doing cardio. For the first time I actually thought "Maybe I am actually an old lady"!!! I felt like I was 101 years old. I got my 5 hours of sleep and got up to get back to work. I got off earlier today and am doing cardio again as I write. I feel a little better today but knees are still aching a bit. I'm thinking I will start taking indocin (my anti-inflammatory of choice) to get me through the next few weeks. My hubby has been going through the contest prep with me for this show. He is not actually competing but wants to be contest ready when we go to Pittsburgh. This has made my life easier. He is a real sweetie! My weight is coming down SLOWLY. I'm sill hoping to be 117 by Sunday. I do not want to struggle to make weight like I usually do. I end up feeling so crapy that I can't pose. Live and learn. Off to the gym now

Got called back to work tonight after only 30 minutes at home. Now just waiting for my patient to get out of the recovery room so that I can leave the hospital. I could feel my training and cardio time slipping away all day and now it is almost tomorrow so I guess I missed a whole day!! I keep thinking....other people don't miss a whole day! Well I guess there is only so much that I can control and so I just have to keep trudging through the fog!! I may end up going underground for the next few weeks just so that I can focus on the things that I need to do before competing. For now, I am on the road home from a long ass day!!

Just continuing to marvel and highly respect you for not skipping out on gym time despite the hectic work schedule. I have ended up skipping a few days of lifting because I'm wasted and gassed out when I get home that I sometimes pass out on the couch or my desk. Much, much respect Margaret. Reps to you and many more upon recharge.

magsmalone
07-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Just continuing to marvel and highly respect you for not skipping out on gym time despite the hectic work schedule. I have ended up skipping a few days of lifting because I'm wasted and gassed out when I get home that I sometimes pass out on the couch or my desk. Much, much respect Margaret. Reps to you and many more upon recharge.

Thanks very much!! I did manage to get some sleep last night and I am feeling rejuvenated today. I get the whole day off today because I am post call. Yipeeee!! My plan for today is to make some progress with this bod of mine and make it stage ready!!! Lol

magsmalone
07-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Finished my last leg workout today and then did a 2 hour posing session with Chris Cormier! That was brutal but well worth the effort. Now my body aches ALL over. Calgon take me away! I have the next few days off from work before I leave for the show so I can get some sleep and try to get beautiful. lol. For tonight I am officially spent.

Sunnyday
07-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Wow, much respect for pulling off a leg WO followed by posing. And a 2-hour posing session at that! :bowdown:

magsmalone
07-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Ya girl, after all of that I had to lay in my bed for an hour just to convince myself that I had enough energy to get up and eat! Lol. You know you are fatigued when you can't even get up for FOOD!

magsmalone
07-19-2011, 10:55 AM
I am moving kinda slow today. I must be getting depleted!! We all know that feeling oh too well. Right Janet, Tammy, Michelle, Melissa, Alysa and anyone else competing in the next few weeks! Now it is time to dig deep and push on. Did another posing session yesterday and will do one more today. Mani/Pedi done last night and hair to do this morning. Got my weight down to 116 this morning! Yipeeeeeeee! I must say I am amazed that I was able to get down this far considering tha I struggled to make it to 120 for the Arnolds in March. I have never been this low before leaving for a show. I'm hoping that this is a good sign. I have a seriously long list of things to get done today so gotta get a move on. Good luck to everyone competing this weekend. See you on the flip side!

Michelle Brent
07-19-2011, 10:58 AM
YEA!!! see you soon!!!

AnglicanBeachParty
07-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Good luck, Margaret!!

Suzanne
07-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Good luck this weekend!

Sunnyday
07-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Kill it, mama! ;)

magsmalone
07-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys!! I made it to Pittsburgh and am dog tired now. I have 1 pound of water weight to lose before weigh in tomorrow night and I will be golden. Yipeeeeeeeeee!! So excited that competition time is finally here. Cross your fingers and toes for me people! Lol

RealLilSwole
07-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Good luck Doc!! Kill it!

2hot4u
07-25-2011, 09:48 PM
I still don't get how you can get 1st place (congrats) in one division and then they give you 2nd in a different division??? I would be upset about that since they were the same girls basically. Well, good luck at the usa's and kick some butt there!!!