PDA

View Full Version : Tjoe, FL of PL/Strongman

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

tjoe
02-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Hello everyone!
I'm Joe one of the new Forum Leaders here (specifically PL and Strongman). Now I may not the biggest guy and I don't win everything that I enter, but then I was not born a genetic freak either. I worked hard for everything that I got (I assume just like you) and continue to do so.
I do enjoy Strongman and Powerlifting. So I will try to share as much info as I can on those sports and what is going on with them here.
I am currently prepping for an ametuer show in May (details below). robert da strongman also has tons of info in this area and has already posted a lot of usefull stuff.
Be sure to take an active part in this section with your input, questions, photos, videos and anything else you may think off.
HAVE FUN!!

Joe

tjoe
02-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Paxton Strongman Slam - May 17th (yes it is a Sunday). Gold level contest. To be held at 306 Grove Street in Paxton,MA.

There is a cap of 20 athletes. 10 LW and 10 HW. Trophies for 1st - 3rd.

Events are:

1. Viking Press
2. Conan's Wheel
3. Axle Deadlift
4. Farmer's walk / Tire Medley
5. Atlas Stones

Weights will be:

Viking Press - (weight listed is not weight in hand)

LW - 250
HW - 320

Conan's Wheel -

LW - 600
HW - 800

Axle Deadlift - Will be on tires approx 12" high. No straps allowed.

LW - 450 lbs
HW - 550 lbs

Farmer's Walk and Tire Medley -
(Farmer's for 100 ft with 1 turn at 50 ft, then 3 flips with the tire)

LW - Farmer's Walk - 250 lbs
Tire - 700 lbs

HW - Farmer's Walk - 300 lbs
Tire - 900 lbs

Atlas Stones - 6 stones. First 4 to 52" and last 2 to 44".

LW - 215, 240, 250, 275, 300, 320

HW - 240. 250, 275, 300, 350, 370

robert da strongman
02-10-2009, 04:45 PM
nice!!

wolverine565
02-10-2009, 06:41 PM
what are the weight classes.

wolverine565
02-10-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm wanting to start training for the metroflex contest in febuary. I weigh 230.

robert da strongman
02-10-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm wanting to start training for the metroflex contest in febuary. I weigh 230.

what's your current training look like?

tjoe
02-10-2009, 07:58 PM
what are the weight classes.For my Paxton event the weight classes are heavy (over 231) and light (under 231). I will probably be around 200 or so.

robert da strongman
02-10-2009, 08:00 PM
For my Paxton event the weight classes are heavy (over 231) and light (under 231). I will probably be around 200 or so.

fatso....

ok i shouldnt talk.
under 200 is an insane division.

wolverine565
02-10-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm training with weights. I'm trying to get some equipment like keg, log, atlas stone, farmer walk.

robert da strongman
02-10-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm training with weights. I'm trying to get some equipment like keg, log, atlas stone, farmer walk.

i say post up yor training.
check the NAS site for the anvil....ask around there for training partners near you.

tjoe
02-11-2009, 02:29 PM
_eq-xSNAVtA
nope... didn't work.

toddbz
02-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Well hello Joe!
So we hangin our hats here now or what?

tjoe
02-11-2009, 03:15 PM
ha... what up bro! check out the Kevin thread over at MD and you'll see the shit storm I just got in. and I am a pretty passive kinda guy. I will still go there (unless I get the BAN) cause I like Rons thread and Ron as a person. I also have my journal there and don't wanna start a new one but if I have to...
aside from those 2 threads (at MD) I will be here.

And let me be one of the first to say, WELCOME!

mts
02-11-2009, 03:23 PM
What's UP Tjoe?!
I'm going to start posting here

tjoe
02-11-2009, 03:25 PM
hmm...
someone else who wouldn't care if I were gone...
Welcome aboard bro!!

Deimos Anomaly
02-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Tjoe, I saw you're not longer an FL over at MD. What happend?

tjoe
02-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Whats up bro!?
Check out my response in the Kevin Levrone thread on MD.
Long story short, they asked me to do it here, I said sure.
Told MD I can do both since it's the same section... they didn't like it.
"Michelle from MD" now has an issue with me I guess.
I was VERY civil through the whole thing.
I am hoping not to get banned cause I really like Rons thread...

Deimos Anomaly
02-11-2009, 04:21 PM
So basically they dis-FL'd you for jumping ship while you didn't? They've gone batshit insane over there.

here's a question for TJOE - hmmm - used to be a FL or Mod here and left to go there - SO WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE??? If you have nothing to say that is positive then say nothing. Trust me - no one will miss you if you go......I have no problem replacing garbage with gold!!!

What the hell was she thinking!??!

Glad to have you on board here Tjoe! I'll still be visiting the Daily Pump also... I can imagine Ron's not gonna register over here because of his ties with MD.

And what's up with me, not strongman related: I gained 12 pounds over the last 6 weeks... I'm going to need the Keto diet by april LOFL

tjoe
02-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Haha!!! No keto for you my freind! KEEP EATING! :)

mts
02-11-2009, 04:34 PM
We need the Grip thread started here and maybe some Deadlifting

robert da strongman
02-11-2009, 04:46 PM
We need the Grip thread started here and maybe some Deadlifting

we shall!

robert da strongman
02-11-2009, 04:46 PM
send this to MD

http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2008-08/nothing-but-tears-shampoo.jpg

toddbz
02-11-2009, 04:47 PM
ha... what up bro! check out the Kevin thread over at MD and you'll see the shit storm I just got in. and I am a pretty passive kinda guy. I will still go there (unless I get the BAN) cause I like Rons thread and Ron as a person. I also have my journal there and don't wanna start a new one but if I have to...
aside from those 2 threads (at MD) I will be here.

And let me be one of the first to say, WELCOME!

Good lord! You start drinkin a lil beer and it all goes to hell! ;P
Yeah I love Ron's thread. Between that and Layne really the only reason I even go there...well o.k. I admit I check out the fitness girls lol

Thad
02-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Looks like a good contest.

I'm doing my first contest in May, I'm really excited to see what I can do.

robert da strongman
02-11-2009, 08:27 PM

I'm doing my first contest in May, I'm really excited to see what I can do.

what comp are you doing?

tjoe
02-11-2009, 08:28 PM

I'm doing my first contest in May, I'm really excited to see what I can do.Very nice. What contest? Have you been preparing at all yet? Give me some info!!

Thad
02-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Very nice. What contest? Have you been preparing at all yet? Give me some info!!
It's in WV, April 18 I believe. We've been preparing for a couple months now, but just recently started a program to work up to it.

Most of the training group is doing the contest so it should be fun.

tjoe
02-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Awesome when you have a group to train with. I am one of only 2-4 guys here that are interested (at my gym) and we all train at different times. Bummer.
You should absolutely start your own thread in this section.
"Thads Strongman Prep" Do it! Start it up!

Thad
02-11-2009, 08:51 PM
We have 6 guys that show on a weekly basis. I workout with Steve Slater and he has evrything you would ever need.

robert da strongman
02-11-2009, 08:53 PM
i met steve in xenia a few years ago.
damn good molds he makes

Thad
02-11-2009, 09:04 PM
i met steve in xenia a few years ago.
damn good molds he makes
He makes alot stones for the pros. I know he makes all of Poundstones.

We have every type stone you could think of to train with.

robert da strongman
02-11-2009, 09:29 PM
now i am jealous
he had a 572lb stone at xenia

tjoe
02-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Man, everyone I talk to trains with top guys! You with Slater, another guy trains with Derek... here I am doin' my thing all by my lonesome...

robert da strongman
02-11-2009, 09:40 PM
i do it on my own...
once a week with my training partner.
dont sweat it.

tjoe
02-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Nah, no sweat here. I'm lookin forward to bangin' out some good pressing tomorrow! It would be cool to have a group of 5-6 serious guys though.

robert da strongman
02-11-2009, 09:49 PM
yeah we are working to put a crew together.

i have pressing tomorrow

tjoe
02-12-2009, 01:26 PM
from various times:

SecH1cBcM2M

RMUGiSYjTQA

IiczFBTdpsg

My three best lifts on video. 655 dead, 410 bench and 545 squat (I hit 550 once but no vid).

tjoe
02-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Before and after trying to get leaner on Daves diet... I was not "super strict" during this time and I definately could have included more cardio work. Still not bad though. And I did NOT hire Dave, this was done with just info I gathered myself from his Q&A...

9lQrBqd97r0

I9a9VKQQeGg

mts
02-12-2009, 01:32 PM
You make 655 look easy, hell i was shaking and everything in my lift

tjoe
02-12-2009, 01:34 PM
-Pzl0RroAX4

3BxyvFAQkO0

3bwv6YJOPCI

tjoe
02-12-2009, 01:37 PM
You make 655 look easy, hell i was shaking and everything in my liftThanks bro! not any more though. I got a bit of a twinge in my right glute that acts up from time to time. My best "rep" sets were 585 x 5 with straps (at a Planet Fitness, no chalk) and 495 x 12 at my gym, just chalk. Again though... that was a while ago.

Thad
02-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Damn dude, your strong as hell.

tjoe
02-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Damn dude, your strong as hell.Thanks bro! I look at it as there is ALWAYS someone stronger, so I better give it everything I got cause I know someone else is!

Thad
02-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks bro! I look at it as there is ALWAYS someone stronger, so I better give it everything I got cause I know someone else is!
That's a great attitude to have. I look at it the same way, I'm never satisfied.

Thad
02-13-2009, 04:43 PM
What type of training are you currently doing?

tjoe
02-13-2009, 08:08 PM
What type of training are you currently doing?

gettin ready for my comp on may 17th (strongman)
I have a journal on another site and was thinking about bringing it over here...

tjoe
02-20-2009, 07:30 PM
D--_tSBto2Q

Just trying out some "extended range" pulls. This was my 3rd set of 455. It was also the second time I pulled this week so I didn't wanna go to much heavier. I also felt my little "twinge" acting up a bit so that was good enough for today.

The sets went like so:
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 10
405 x 3
455 x 3, 3, 3

GameofInches
02-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Looks like your training has been going good and your losing weight at the same time! Keep it up! I noticed the events at the comp you are doing and they seem pretty good. I wish the event was closer to me, I would love to enter.

tjoe
02-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Looks like your training has been going good and your losing weight at the same time! Keep it up! I noticed the events at the comp you are doing and they seem pretty good. I wish the event was closer to me, I would love to enter.I am afraid you spoke to soon my friend. Todays training was HORRIBLE! I had to do 3 single at 355 on the flat bench... got the first 2 and missed the last one. Not only that but the first 2 felt aweful and even my triple with 320 (prior to my singles) felt bad. Not bad like pain, just heavy!! and it shouldn't be!
Then it was on to z presses and I worked up to 185 for a VERY HARD single. I got 3 with that 2 weeks ago. Granted I benched first this time BUT I should be a bit stronger now, so I was kind of expecting 3 again. Nope!
Last week I only dropped 1/2 a pound so I added in some cardio on Fri, Sat and Sun. 1hr each day but very easy (hr was less than 100bpm).
I thought I would be able to stay strong at around 200 or so but it dosen't look that way. My pressing is the first thing I notice all the time and it took a NOSE DIVE today!! I'm pretty bummed out about it actually. I don't wanna be a "fat" strongman, but I don't wanna be weak "lean" guy either... and at the moment I headed for weak and lean :(
I need to do some thinking. The meet is about 11 weeks out which gives me plenty of time to get strong again... but wiht how much fat gain? Then if I gain too much, it's already very close to summer to try and reel it back in. Ugh... :mad:

toddbz
02-23-2009, 03:51 PM
I am afraid you spoke to soon my friend. Todays training was HORRIBLE! I had to do 3 single at 355 on the flat bench... got the first 2 and missed the last one. Not only that but the first 2 felt aweful and even my triple with 320 (prior to my singles) felt bad. Not bad like pain, just heavy!! and it shouldn't be!
Then it was on to z presses and I worked up to 185 for a VERY HARD single. I got 3 with that 2 weeks ago. Granted I benched first this time BUT I should be a bit stronger now, so I was kind of expecting 3 again. Nope!
Last week I only dropped 1/2 a pound so I added in some cardio on Fri, Sat and Sun. 1hr each day but very easy (hr was less than 100bpm).
I thought I would be able to stay strong at around 200 or so but it dosen't look that way. My pressing is the first thing I notice all the time and it took a NOSE DIVE today!! I'm pretty bummed out about it actually. I don't wanna be a "fat" strongman, but I don't wanna be weak "lean" guy either... and at the moment I headed for weak and lean :(
I need to do some thinking. The meet is about 11 weeks out which gives me plenty of time to get strong again... but wiht how much fat gain? Then if I gain too much, it's already very close to summer to try and reel it back in. Ugh... :mad:

How many weeks are you into the diet?
I simply do not see how ANYONE can go on a calorie deficit and not loose strength after a while. Now matter how you skin that cat, performance has to suffer after a bit.

tjoe
02-23-2009, 04:28 PM
exactly. I do love the diet BUT it is not about performance! it's about stripping bodyfat. Right now I HAVE to focus on better "performance". Adding the carbs will also allow me to do some HIIT for cardio. That will apply much better to my strongman events compared to the low intensity hours that I just started doing.

tjoe
02-27-2009, 11:51 AM
well, today I am going to rest my knee and back a bit and have a good old fashioned ARM day! Kinda psyched actually. Get some reps, a lil pump... like the old days! Should be good for my mental and physical I think. Then I can rest up all weekend and get back to some heavy stuff on Monday. We'll see how it goes...

tjoe
03-03-2009, 03:45 PM
So arm day was good... pretty sore over the weekend form the direct "arm" work. Monday I hit some bench press with the bands, felt good... chest supported tbar rows, incline smith press and reverse pec dec. It was a good day.
Today I hit some regular back squats... 450 for a single. OK I guess... the last time I did normal squats was before the diet, so about 18lbs and 2 months ago. Then I pulled 405 x 12 off of a 3 inch block. Pretty happy with that as well. Also hit cardio this am about 1hr prior to the squats and pulls.
All in all things feel pretty good today. I loook forward to overhead work and some pulldown movements on thursday.

Sandpig
03-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Big Joe, keep it up. I know what your saying about strength with or with out carbs in the diet.

I am now eating carbs again, but staying with clean ones. Haven't gained any fat since I've added them either.

tjoe
03-06-2009, 09:58 AM
I am only up about 1.7lbs since adding the carbs back in. I still eat a lot of "carb free" meals, like my whole omega eggs, a pound of meat etc. Then I have oatmeal in my shakes and maybe some waxi while I am training. Nothing crazy.

hows your training going?

Sandpig
03-06-2009, 07:15 PM
I am only up about 1.7lbs since adding the carbs back in. I still eat a lot of "carb free" meals, like my whole omega eggs, a pound of meat etc. Then I have oatmeal in my shakes and maybe some waxi while I am training. Nothing crazy.

hows your training going?

Trainings good. Your diet is the same as mine. :p

tjoe
03-16-2009, 04:02 PM
So, training is going very well.
Did some benching with the bands today and got 3 singles with 300 bar weight plus the mini bands (apx 80lbs at top). I was pretty happy with that.

On a side note: Kristin (Derek Poundstones GF) is setting up a little get together down in CT to celebrate his Arnold win. She tossed out a general invite over at Marunde-Muscle. So I am kinda on the fence about heading down. The wife already has plans so I would need to find a sitter for the lil guy. I also don't know anyone else (aside from talking with Derek a few times) so I don't want to feel "out of place". Trying to get a few buddies to go down as well though. I kinda figure, food, beer, bullshitn about training... sounds good!

We'll see what happens...

robert da strongman
03-16-2009, 04:48 PM
go have some fun!

get dave to send an RXmuscle shirt for derek

GameofInches
03-16-2009, 04:59 PM
So, training is going very well.
Did some benching with the bands today and got 3 singles with 300 bar weight plus the mini bands (apx 80lbs at top). I was pretty happy with that.

On a side note: Kristin (Derek Poundstones GF) is setting up a little get together down in CT to celebrate his Arnold win. She tossed out a general invite over at Marunde-Muscle. So I am kinda on the fence about heading down. The wife already has plans so I would need to find a sitter for the lil guy. I also don't know anyone else (aside from talking with Derek a few times) so I don't want to feel "out of place". Trying to get a few buddies to go down as well though. I kinda figure, food, beer, bullshitn about training... sounds good!

We'll see what happens...

I just read what Kristin posted on Marunde too. It is a 1.5hr drive for me, but it would be awesome to shoot the shit about training and get to meet Derek. I have no one to go with (b/c everyone I know is too much of a baby to do anything hard with their life ie.Strongman) and I wouldn't know anyone there so I am certainly thinking twice about going. Let me know if you decide to go b/c then I might try and go.

robert da strongman
03-16-2009, 05:03 PM
both of you hold hands and go...haha

tjoe
03-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Well the Poundstone party is still up in the air. I have decided I definately want to go, however the wife has had plans for both Fri and Sat for a while now. I was going to go with her on Fri (get babysitter) and then stay home Sat. Now if I go, the lil man will be home 2 nights in a row without us... :confused:
So that is the current dilema...

Training went great today. Squats were up a bit and I got 1 more rep than I was aiming for. Deads are up 20lbs from last time with the same number of reps :D 425 off a 3" block for 12 reps... if you were wondering :cool:

robert da strongman
03-17-2009, 04:12 PM
nice training

hmmm...be the good dad.

Sandpig
03-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Keep it up Joe. You are a strongman, don't worry about freakin dieting to look good for the summer.
Get your priorities straight son!

tjoe
03-18-2009, 01:39 PM
nice training

hmmm...be the good dad.Thanks bro. Yeah, so far it looks like I might miss the bash...

Keep it up Joe. You are a strongman, don't worry about freakin dieting to look good for the summer.
Get your priorities straight son!Ha, thanks man! I'm all straightened out now, don't worry. Gettin stronger by the week! :D

tjoe
03-20-2009, 12:08 PM
HOOORAY!! they are here!

Sandpig
03-22-2009, 07:54 AM
HOOORAY!! they are here!

Don't hurt yourself with that thing. :eek: :bowdown:

tjoe
03-22-2009, 10:53 AM
OK, so we hit Mohegan and then went to Poundstones party. :beerbang:

Very cool night and glad I could make it over there. I met some great guys, a couple I have competed against before (and maybe in the future) and got to congradulate Derek in person. Basically just hangin' out and talkin' strongman shit for about 2 hours. They brought down the Louis Cyr trophy as well as the circus db that he trains with (HUGE). Kristin also had a laptop set up with a slide show going which was pretty cool.
Derek looked to be doing well although he has been sick for a while and is down to 304lbs. I didn't talk too much strongman stuff with him as he was just trying to relax and have a good time, but he is doing the Mohegan Sun show on May 17th and is already starting to prepare for Fortissimus.
Good night all around.

oh and yeah... I'm pretty sure I was the smallest guy in the room :(

robert da strongman
03-22-2009, 02:05 PM
cool!

haha dont sweat being the small guy.

GameofInches
03-22-2009, 08:19 PM
I didn't know he was doing Mohegan Sun, I will have to look into trying to make it up there for that.

tjoe
03-22-2009, 09:13 PM
I didn't know he was doing Mohegan Sun, I will have to look into trying to make it up there for that.yeah, I'm bummed I won't be able to make it. That is the same day of my Paxton Strongman Slam. Aparently the Mohegan event is going to be in the afternoon. Kinda sux for me...

Sandpig
03-23-2009, 07:20 AM
Glad you went and had a good time. Smallest guy there. LOL

tjoe
03-29-2009, 12:56 PM
So the stone making went well yesterday. You can read more about that here: http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=2732&page=2 :D

This is a pic that my brother in law took a while ago. He was messing around on google images and typed in "light weight baby". This pic came up on the first page, first pic in the second row. kinda cool I thought.

tjoe
03-29-2009, 12:57 PM
here it is...

Sandpig
04-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Joe, I visited Ron's thread earlier and noticed you made your stones. Good luck with them and too bad you have to wait so long to use them.

tjoe
04-01-2009, 03:24 PM
thannks bro! check out the "everything about atlas stones" thread... I just posted an update about them there.

tjoe
04-01-2009, 03:33 PM
:)
So first up is the Paxton Strongman Slam on May 17th.

:eek:
Then it's the 2009 MA State Strongman Championships! August 8th... day after my birthday. Looks like a great event and it will be promoted by Nate Fitzgerald and CJ Murphy of TPS (Total Performance Sports), both great promoters.

Here's some of the details for the MA State Championships:

1-Log Press
1 Clean & Press for max reps
Womens LW-10” log-110lbs.
Womens MW-10” 130 lbs.
Womens Heavy-10” 150 lbs.
Teen LW-10” 170 lbs
Teen HW-10” 200 lbs
LWO-12” 220 lbs
HWO-12” 250 lbs

2-Odd Object Carry
Max distance, turns at 50 feet for all classes
Womens LW-150 pound keg / Womens MW-175 keg
Womens HW-200 keg Teen LW-200 keg
Teen HW-250 keg
LWO-250 TPS Tombstone
HWO-350 TPS Tombstone

3-Tire Flip
100’ feet
Womens LW-350
Womens MW-450
Womens HW-650
Teen LW-450
Teen HW-650
LWO-650
HWO-800

4-Farmers Walk:
100 feet/no turns
Womens LW-150 each
Womens MW-170 each
Womens HW-190 each
Teen LW-190 each
Teen HW-220 each
LWO-240 each
HWO-280 each

5-Atlas Stone Over Bar
Bar height 44”
Womens LW-150
Womens MW-180
Womens HW-200
Teen LW-200
Teen HW-240
LWO-240
HWO-300

Lightweight open means under 231lbs. (that's me:wavey:)

robert da strongman
04-01-2009, 03:50 PM
looks like a good comp!

tjoe
04-01-2009, 03:58 PM
I think it will be a great comp for sure!
Nate and Murph are great promoters so I now it will be a very well run show. Murph has run shows with 5-6 events and they were done in about 3 hours :eek: I don't see the weights being too difficult but the winner will be bangin' out the reps! I better really jack up my conditioning for this one!

robert da strongman
04-01-2009, 04:00 PM
would be fun to do...nice weights

tjoe
04-01-2009, 09:41 PM
:D
headed to train in Paxton this weekend! Get to work with the actual stuff that will be in the comp. Main things I would like to try out are the conans wheel (600) and the viking press (250). I will try to work up to those weights and see where I am at.

robert da strongman
04-01-2009, 10:17 PM
keep the conans wheel high on your chest!

tjoe
04-05-2009, 08:54 AM
All my buddies bailed out on me today so I am headed out there by myself to train like an animal :)
I let ya know how it went when I get back this afternoon...

tjoe
04-05-2009, 03:41 PM
well, Conans wheel was first. in a word... ROUGH. I made 3/4 of a rotation with the actual weight we will be using :mad: It was very hard for me to keep it high and my arms wanted to unfold. being 5'8" and having not so long arms was not helping the situation. SO I went down a bit in weight to 520 and did another run. Don't recall how far but I was spent. It also kept tappingthe ground which would not be alound in the comp. Luckily it is adjustable so I can lower the bar down 1 notch.

Viking press - first attempt got 4. awkward aparatus. Treid it again and got 6 then again and another 6. 8-10 reps on contest day would be nice and I think that is realistic. I stopped at 6 both times and may have been able to muster at leat 1 possibly 2 more.

Farmers walk - didn't plan on doing this at all but the busted it out so why not (haven't done it in at least 2 weeks). couple warm up rounds and then the contest weight (250 pre hand) for a full run (50ft then turn and back 50ft) I actually started well behind the line (about another 10ft) and did the whole thing so that was nice. The BAD part is that during the contest that will be followed immediately by a 700lbs tire flip :( That will SUCK. Once you finish the farmers walk you just want to lay down

And with that I left.

They were continuing on with tire flips, yolk walks and stones :eek: That is a BIG day!! Two guys there were prepping for Orlando though... both over 300lbs.

I met a couple guys from another site which was pretty cool as well, both very nice. Always good when you have a good group of guys training. I'm pretty happy I went over to train and look forward to getting there at least one more time prior to the actual comp.

tjoe
04-07-2009, 02:24 PM
So, since I was spent from Sunday... my bench on Monday was not so good. missed my triple with 295 (only got 2) and missed my first single with 320 (so I didn't attempt the next 2) All these were with bands.
Next week I will continue on to the next set of numbers on my chart but remove the bands and use chains instead.

Front squats today were OK with 315 x 6 (wanted 7... got 6 last time) but I did go up 10 on my rack pulls to 670 x 1 from 29 (which is just below my knee).

I feel very worn down and need some good recuperation.

robert da strongman
04-07-2009, 03:24 PM
good work saturday.

think of the conans wheel as a zercher squat. also adjusting the bar height properly wil help.

Sandpig
04-09-2009, 07:14 AM
Joe, I got tired just from reading. Strongman, I am not.

tjoe
04-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Rob - thanks bro. I also noticed that I have to pay more attention to my grip on the Conans wheel. Since the one I will be using has a lot of play in the bar, the "inside" arm has more pressure than the outside arm. Therefore the "outside" hand should go OVER the inside wrist which will help pinch it in close to the body and keep the arm from "opening up" during the event.
Makes me glad I went and got a feel for some of the equipment.

Sandpig - yeah... it was a rough day for sure and that was only about half of what I will need to do at the comp! Gonna be a rough day for sure. Hopefully I'm ready for it.

On a side note: I am already thinking about my training for the event in Aug. I just found out that they run that one a bit different.
5 events BUT after the first 3 events ONLY the TOP 5 in each class go onto the last 2 events :eek:
This is going to be a very big challenge for me.

1 - log press for reps: 1 clean then press for reps
should do OK here.

2 - Tombstone carry
never done it so I am already at a disadvantage. I can practice with an atlas stone which will actually be harder than the tombstone due to a lack of leverage/grip.

3 - Tire flip (650lbs. x 100 ft.)
we only have a 500lbs tire to practice with and 100 ft. is pretty far. I am really going to have to work on conditioning on this event (especially AFTER the tombstone carry)

IF I make it any farther:

4 - Farmers walk (240 per hand x 100 ft. no turns)
well this should be easier than the farmers in May. It's 10lbs lighter per hand AND it is straight (turns SUCK).

5 - 240lbs. Atlas Stone over a 44" bar for reps
Shouldn't be TOO bad but I need to practice as I haven't done stones for a while. I think I made ours just in time :D

This event is a bit "lighter" than many events. Its what the promoter wantewd since there are going to be so many competitors along with Teen Nationals AND Womens Nationals all at the same time. He figured it would go smoother/quicker if it more of a "track meet". I MUST bring up my conditioning for this competition!

robert da strongman
04-09-2009, 03:16 PM
yeah get that conditioning in.

surprising how much of that we really need

i liked dereks training he posted in his thread

GameofInches
04-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Tjoe,

Seems like training is going well for the comp. As far as conditioning goes, I would say maybe to try more medley work for events. I notice Tom Mutafis and Elliot Hulse do A LOT of it with their training and they certainly know there stuff.

Also with the stone carry, I train that every other week and the key is to get the stone high on your chest (b/c it will slide down but having it higher will account for the slipping down) but make sure it doesn't block you sight b/c that is important too. You need to also lean back when you walk. Almost like your hyper extending your back (almost like that, not to actually do that though). I would imagine the lean back would also be essential to the conan's wheel (as I have never done that before).

Keep training hard man, it will def pay off!

tjoe
04-11-2009, 08:49 AM
GOI - Thanks bro. Tom and Elliot are Freaks for sure and I did notice all the medley work in some of there vids. I need to work on that. As far as the stone carry, I will start practicing that now. Should be fun as the only "stones" I have to practice with are my new atlas stones :eek: Probably one of the hardest things to "carry" as far as leverage/grip etc.
What do you use for stone carries?

GameofInches
04-11-2009, 10:43 AM
GOI - Thanks bro. Tom and Elliot are Freaks for sure and I did notice all the medley work in some of there vids. I need to work on that. As far as the stone carry, I will start practicing that now. Should be fun as the only "stones" I have to practice with are my new atlas stones :eek: Probably one of the hardest things to "carry" as far as leverage/grip etc.
What do you use for stone carries?

No prob man! The atlas stones will def be hard to carry, but if you can do the carry with them then you can do it with anything. I actually use three pieces of curb stone and have taped it together with duct tape. It is the the greatest way of doing it, but it is thick (which makes it hard to carry) and it gets the job done. It weighs 240lbs. Good luck with training!

robert da strongman
04-11-2009, 01:01 PM
thank god tom isnt competing next week...

tjoe
04-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Happy Easter!

Already went to church this am...
Lil Connor went ot see the Easter Bunny :D ...
and we have a bunch of people coming over in a few hours :eek: ...

gonna eat a LOT and hope for a much better bench day tomorrow compared to last week. Should be easier anyway since the bands are gone and I will be using the chains instead. Between that and my caloric surplus :D I should be all set!

TheReverendMister
04-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Happy Easter!

Already went to church this am...
Lil Connor went ot see the Easter Bunny :D ...
and we have a bunch of people coming over in a few hours :eek: ...

gonna eat a LOT and hope for a much better bench day tomorrow compared to last week. Should be easier anyway since the bands are gone and I will be using the chains instead. Between that and my caloric surplus :D I should be all set!

Sounds awesome. Thats a cool pic of your kid too. Mine dont like the Easter bunny. :D

tjoe
04-12-2009, 03:56 PM
ReverendMister - thanks for droppin by my thread! All the guests should be arriving any minute...

MA State Championships *changes*

tombstone carry is out... axle deadlift is in 500lbs for reps
tire flip and farmers are no longer 100ft straight but 50ft. turn then back 50ft. (not happy)
No more cut off after 3 events! All competitiors will be doing all events.

well... I don't like the turns in the farmers/tire and I kinda wanted to try the tombstone carry... BUT I am glad I will be able to compete in all events even if I do not make top 5 (that "was" the cut off point). So, some good, some bad, and that's strongman for ya!

robert da strongman
04-12-2009, 04:04 PM
turns on farmers are the worst.
practice them religiously

SUMO
04-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Sounds awesome. Thats a cool pic of your kid too. Mine dont like the Easter bunny. :D
We can't take my daughter to see the Easter bunny anymore. Last year, in front of everyone she blurts out, "That's not the Easter Bunny..he's got a zipper on his back!"
6 year olds.

Thad
04-12-2009, 08:07 PM
I've found that when I can take a wider turn, it's easier for me.

GameofInches
04-12-2009, 08:58 PM

Yes they are! I find that you have to compensate and prepare for the turn before you even enter the turn otherwise the farmers will twist too much. What I actually just started doing last week was instead of doing a 100ft run with 1 turn at 50ft. I do a shorter distance of 25ft and do four turns so that way I get more turning practice in. I hope this can help in some way!

robert da strongman
04-13-2009, 04:07 PM
exactly...make it tough.
you want to cross the front ends so when you turn they dont fly out and away from you.

GameofInches
04-13-2009, 05:16 PM
exactly...make it tough.
you want to cross the front ends so when you turn they dont fly out and away from you.

What do you mean by that? Do you mean to have the front piece of each farmer handle cross so it forms an "X" in front of your body before entering the turn so that way they don't get away from you when getting out of the turn?

robert da strongman
04-13-2009, 05:17 PM
What do you mean by that? Do you mean to have the front piece of each farmer handle cross so it forms an "X" in front of your body before entering the turn so that way they don't get away from you when getting out of the turn?

right!
also helps if they are slightly angled down, but that depends on where you grip the handles

GameofInches
04-13-2009, 09:01 PM
right!
also helps if they are slightly angled down, but that depends on where you grip the handles

Oh ok, that sounds good. I will try that this weekend when I do farmers. Thanks!

tjoe
04-14-2009, 06:37 PM
OK... so here is the scoop. My training absolutely sucked today. My fault as my diet has been in the crapper lately. I need to pull my head out and get with it or I am going to get wrecked in Paxton next month:eek:

Squats I worked up to 365 for 11 reps. All that was running through my head was a while back when I got 435 for 10!

Next up were deads 465 x 5... again some of my better sets were 495 x 12 and on one VERY good day I got 585 x 5 so 465 SHOULD have been and easy 10+ Very dissappointing.

Then it was time for some stone practice. Now I haven't done these for a LONG time so I wasn't expecting too much here. I was thinking 7-10 single with the 18" no tacky just chalk. Also don't have anything to put it on or over yet so it was just a high pick then drop.
I got the 16" for 2 sets of triples for a warm up then 240 for a good single, a bad single and then 2 missed attempts :mad:

q848Mr0EHKc

ZatXodyJWaI

So lets just say I've had better days :(

robert da strongman
04-14-2009, 06:50 PM
it happens.
next week will be better

thepump
04-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Hello everyone!
I'm Joe one of the new Forum Leaders here (specifically PL and Strongman). Now I may not the biggest guy and I don't win everything that I enter, but then I was not born a genetic freak either. I worked hard for everything that I got (I assume just like you) and continue to do so.
I do enjoy Strongman and Powerlifting. So I will try to share as much info as I can on those sports and what is going on with them here.
I am currently prepping for an ametuer show in May (details below). robert da strongman also has tons of info in this area and has already posted a lot of usefull stuff.
Be sure to take an active part in this section with your input, questions, photos, videos and anything else you may think off.
HAVE FUN!!

Joe

I like your outlook on things. Do you have anything that you're really looking forward to this year?:beerbang:

GameofInches
04-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Def a decent day of training Tjoe. We all have the off days, but as long as we don't stop we will make it to the top. You were tossing the 16in stone around with no prob. And the 18in stone seemed like no prob for you either. I think if you had a platform to load it on you would have a mental goal of where to load it to so you would do 100 times better with speed and height. You could just get a thick piece of plywoon and cut it to the width and length of the safety bars of the squat rack and rest it on there. Then load the stones onto the plywood. It makes it easy to adjust the height of the platform b/c all you have to do is move the safety bars. I use something similar for mine.

tjoe
04-14-2009, 09:19 PM
it happens.
next week will be betteryeah... I'll get in some better chow but I think it will take at least a week to kick in. My own fault though!

I like your outlook on things. Do you have anything that you're really looking forward to this year?:beerbang:Thanks bro! I been here since day 1! I am looking forward to a comp in May (Paxton Strongman Slam) and one in August (MA State Strongman Championships). Stay tuned right here for the training and updates and HOPEFULLY some better vids. Haha!!

Def a decent day of training Tjoe. We all have the off days, but as long as we don't stop we will make it to the top. You were tossing the 16in stone around with no prob. And the 18in stone seemed like no prob for you either. I think if you had a platform to load it on you would have a mental goal of where to load it to so you would do 100 times better with speed and height. You could just get a thick piece of plywoon and cut it to the width and length of the safety bars of the squat rack and rest it on there. Then load the stones onto the plywood. It makes it easy to adjust the height of the platform b/c all you have to do is move the safety bars. I use something similar for mine.No loading platform wasn't the problem... I've just been being stupid! I have been looking on the web for an old Power cage. Not to load on but just too set up to do reps over the pin. Like you said easy to move. That was just chalk as well... tacky makes a huge difference! I should be tossing around that 18"er either way though... 2 singles was embarassing for me :(

robert da strongman
04-14-2009, 09:20 PM
somedays no matter what i do events just suck.
just dont have that day during competition.

are you still doing keto?

tjoe
04-15-2009, 06:52 AM
somedays no matter what i do events just suck.
just dont have that day during competition.

are you still doing keto?No sir. Haven't been for a little while. I think that is the problem though! whenever I "diet" I am very good with my food intake BUT if I am not "dieting" then I just go to shit. I need to get in more GOOD food and I'll be OK.

robert da strongman
04-15-2009, 04:04 PM
ahhh...yeah food is too good to pass up.
better get back on the keto...

tjoe
04-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Probably won't do keto as I "could" go up about 19lbs. (no reason to restrict carbs). I will just try to get in more "good food".

Nice light arm day yesterday followed by a fantastic dinner out with some freinds for 2 birthdays.
seafood chowdah, tiger eye sushi roll, 24oz "Choice Cut" steak, couple drinks and some good times :D

resting today... elbow feels good, knee feels tweaky.

thinking about my upcoming comps...

tjoe
04-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Monday
was a good bench day I got 345 + chains for 3 singles so I am still movin up.

Today
was a light leg day. all sets of 15 reps. Feel kinda worn out still so I am cutting back a bit and hoping for a big event day on Friday afternoon.

weight is up though... sitting at about 213 or so...

robert da strongman
04-21-2009, 03:31 PM
good stuff!

tjoe
04-21-2009, 03:35 PM
good stuff!we"ll see friday!

robert da strongman
04-21-2009, 04:09 PM
whats friday?

tjoe
04-21-2009, 04:17 PM
wed - off
thurs - off or light arms
fri - events (weather should be perfect) Overhead, farmers, tire, axle deadlift, stone work

robert da strongman
04-21-2009, 04:20 PM
sweet!!
saturday is my event day

tjoe
04-22-2009, 02:41 PM
wed - off
thurs - off or light arms
fri - events (weather should be perfect) Overhead, farmers, tire, axle deadlift, stone work Change of plans.
Thursday - arms (light)
Fri & Sat - off
Sunday - events IN Paxton! Supposed to be 89 degrees here :eek: This is the last time that Nathan will have people over to train until the event in May.

robert da strongman
04-22-2009, 02:59 PM
take advantage of that!!

Sandpig
04-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Change of plans.
Thursday - arms (light)
Fri & Sat - off
Sunday - events IN Paxton! Supposed to be 89 degrees here :eek: This is the last time that Nathan will have people over to train until the event in May.
Go get em Joe!
I'll be waiting to hear how you make out. :popcorn:

tjoe
04-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks bro!
I hit arms today... pretty light and high volume (15s & 20s)
Gonna try and nap later and get in a lot of food between now and Sunday.
Then I am going to have to refuel like crazy AFTER the events so I can "try" to bench well on Monday!! That may be tricky if "event day" is as big as I am thinking...

robert da strongman
04-23-2009, 03:10 PM
eat up!!
its been nonstop for me since saturday

JW
04-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Tjoe / robert da strongman,

Hi guys looking for a bit advice if you can spare the time...

I'm a bodybuilder looking to improve my strength in the powerlifts. I got totally inspired to give a powerlifting style routine a go after watching ‘power unlimited’ ,an outstanding film by the way; Kirk karwoski rocks !!!

I’ve designed a basic periodized routine based on a old article by Ed Coan printed in FLEX some years back. I’d greatly appreciate your input / advice on it:

It breaks down like this,

Squats (tues), Deadlifts (fri), bench (sat); warm ups then; 75% 1RM week one, 85% 1RM weeks 2-3, 90% 1RM weeks 4-5, 95% 1RM weeks 6-7, 100% 1RM week 8

Following the powerlifts; three sets of two assistance exercise for each body part (e.g. hacks, leg press; barbell rows, chins, inc; bench, dips) at around 80% 1RM; getting like 8 reps.

Wed i’ve included an assistance day for close-benches, barbell curls, shoulder press etc all around 80% 1RM

I’m doing lifts wearing only belt and / or wrist straps (I know it’s a no no but my aim is to return to bodybuilding training following strength gains may be in a year or so’s time?). All lifts performed strict bodybuilding style i.e. medium feet but deep below parrell on squats. Diet wise I think I’m ok: 1.5g-2g protein (whey, egg whites, beef), 275-375g carbs, 40-60g fat; six meals a day.

Like I say any advice or suggestions would be welcome

Cheers and thanks in advance………..

robert da strongman
04-24-2009, 03:12 PM
drop the 100% at week 8. deload that week at 50-60%

do you have weights that you are starting from?

JW
04-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Hi Robert.

Yep; my starting weights:

1RM Squat (not including olympic bar); 110 kg (242lb),
1RM deadlift (not including bar) 150KG (330lb),
1RM bench (not including bar) 80kg (176lb).

As you can see i'm pretty weak, hence the need to improve!

Cheers again...any further advice or suggested resources (e.g. good websites) would be greatly welcomed.

robert da strongman
04-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Hi Robert.

Yep; my starting weights:

1RM Squat (not including olympic bar); 110 kg (242lb),
1RM deadlift (not including bar) 150KG (330lb),
1RM bench (not including bar) 80kg (176lb).

As you can see i'm pretty weak, hence the need to improve!

Cheers again...any further advice or suggested resources (e.g. good websites) would be greatly welcomed.

good numbers!
what do you weigh? age? years competing? do you plan to compete in powerlifting?

i think there is a thread here with links to useful sites.

JW
04-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks man!

Weight: 13 stone 12 pound (180lb) with 12-13% bodyfat

I've never competed; mainly because i've not felt I have the required genetics maybe one day; i just LOVE training HARD!!

Again i'm not planning on competing in powerlifting but you never know!!

I'll check out that tread; cheers again

robert da strongman
04-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks man!

Weight: 13 stone 12 pound (180lb) with 12-13% bodyfat

I've never competed; mainly because i've not felt I have the required genetics maybe one day; i just LOVE training HARD!!

Again i'm not planning on competing in powerlifting but you never know!!

I'll check out that tread; cheers again

respectable lifts based on your weight.
good luck

tjoe
04-24-2009, 05:03 PM
I agree with rob. no need for the 100% if you want to continue with BBing. Otherwise I like it. I am a big fan of training only 3-4 days per week and letting rest and diet do the rest! Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

JW
04-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks again robert and cheers tjoe, i'll keep ya'all posted regarding my progress;

All the best.

tjoe
04-26-2009, 04:30 PM
So this first one is the Conans Wheel. apx weight is 610lbs. I am not very happy with my performance here as I only did a "little" better than last time. I thought the change I made in the grip would be more of a help but apparently not.

Rn7658O_des

Then I completely forgot to video my Viking Press event. That sucks because I did pretty good at that one. Same apparatus as the Conans Wheel but with a different handle. The weight is 250lbs. (on the equipment, not in hand) and I managed 10 pretty strong reps which is a good jump from last time. I will need a few more to place well at the comp though.

This is the Farmers Walk. 250lbs in each hand 100ft. total with a turn at 50ft. This is part of a medley in which immediately after the walk I have to flip a tire (3 reps). If you drop the Farmers your DONE!

z06sFTVZABw

I weighed in this morning at 211.2lbs. Bummer. I've been eating better and trying to put a little weight on but it's not going so well. Gotta eat more apparently.

Training will be done to bare minimum from now until the comp. Maybe one more heavy pull... maybe 1-2 more overhead days... maybe some light arms again but nothing crazy. The work is done and now I think rest is more important as I NEVER take time off. I think if I allow myself to heal up a little I may do better. Time will tell.

robert da strongman
04-26-2009, 05:38 PM
can the bar be raised on the conans?
you need to set that bar on your clavicles. when it sits as low as you had it you lose air.

tjoe
04-26-2009, 06:15 PM
it can be moved but no matter where I start off with the bar it "settles" into the same position. I had it higher on my warm ups but it "skimmed" the ground twice on my last one (in which case I would be out).

GameofInches
04-26-2009, 07:48 PM
I agree that rest will prob do you a lot of good. I also think you could benefit from upping your food intake. It will not only aid in bringing you up in BW but also with the repair of muscles and strength.

I no experience with the conans wheel so my advice may be totally off base, but I hope it might help in some way. My thoughts are that when performing an odd object carry like the husafell stone, the idea is to lean back more so that way the weight doesn't drag your arms and torso forward (thus dropping the implement prematurly). It also places more of the stress on you hamstrings and lower back. So what I am thinking, is that maybe you should try holding the weight higher up (as Robert suggested) which will allow for you to breath better and for more slipping room as your arms start to get tired and drag lower and I think you should lean back more (almost like hyperextending your back, but don't actually do that b/c its dangerous). I think by leaning back you might be able to divert the bulk of the tension from your arms to your hamstrings and lower back.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully something I said might help in some way. Good luck man, I know you will be ready on competition day!

tjoe
04-28-2009, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

Today is Tuesday morning and I feel pretty good after events on Sunday. Back is suprisingly good (after that tire flip off). Still not sure if I will train taoday or not though. Yesterday was supposed to be my bench day so I would like to try and get that in sometime followed by some overhead work. Maybe today... maybe tomorrow... not sure yet. I'm thinkin' Wednesday would fit my schedule best. I'm rambling... that's all for now :)

tjoe
04-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Bench (380M, ring finger on ring, chains on all sets)
bar x 8
135 x 8
225 x 8
285 x 5
320 x 3
355 x 1, 1, 1
285 x 8 and a forced rep

Axle press (not sure of exact weight of axle)
empty x 10
+20 x 8
+40 x 6
+60 x **
**missed the clean about 6-7 times!! Just couldn't get it there! I took a nice long break and then tried one more time... GOT IT!! From there I proceeded to get 7 presses. I am guessing that the weight is around 210lbs. here.

Quantum machine press (palms forward grip)
200(stack) x 10, 10, 10, 15

Very happy with todays training. Good thing there is no axle CLEAN and press in my next two comps!! There is a log clean and press in Aug, but that won't be a problem.

robert da strongman
04-29-2009, 03:53 PM
i hate axles...

good training

GameofInches
04-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Nice training man!

tjoe
04-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks guys!
Next up... another nice light arm workout for a little pump on Friday.
Then I'm 2 weeks away!!!

tjoe
05-01-2009, 04:12 PM
yep... good arm training day overall. The one downside was my abs cramping up while doing some tricep ext. at the end of my day. Took a 15 minute break and did some 1 arm OHExt to finish em off.

robert da strongman
05-01-2009, 04:22 PM
what else you do for arms??

tjoe
05-01-2009, 08:39 PM
db curls
25s x 20
35s x 10
45s x 10
55s x 5
65s x 5, 5, 5

Rope pressdowns
40 x 20
70 x 10
100 x 10
130 x 10, 10, 10

EZ bar preacher, close grip
70 x 10
90 x 10, 10, 10

Tri bar OHExt (neutral grip)
70 x 20
90 x 12
110 x 10, 10, 10

Quantum Machine preacher curl (FST-7)
70 x 15
70 x 7
50 x 8
40 x 7
30 x 10
30 x 10
30 x 8 + 3F

Quantum ext (FST-7)
120 x 15
120 x 13
CRAMPED ABS *horrible*
15 minute break
1 arm OHext
25s x 15, 15, 12
20s x 12

Aside from the cramping... a pretty good day of arm training.

tjoe
05-03-2009, 02:43 PM
:eek:
Two weeks from today... Paxton Strongman Slam
only about 4 workouts left...

robert da strongman
05-03-2009, 02:43 PM
enjoy that insanity. how many competitors?

tjoe
05-03-2009, 02:51 PM
small show (at his house)...
was 10 light and 10 heavies but he still has 5-6 spots open for the heavies so he decided to allow more lights to fill up the spots. I am light obviously.
it will be at his house and is only putting it on because of the ice storm that wrecked his last show in Dec (over 75 were headed to that one).

robert da strongman
05-03-2009, 03:08 PM
oh yeah that one...
well good luck

tjoe
05-04-2009, 12:52 PM
bench (390M, chains, middle finger on ring)
bar x 10
135 x 8
230 x 8
290 x 5
330 x 2 *Supposed to be a triple*
365 x miss *supposed to get 3 singles here!!
405 x Big Neg... actually a lot smoother than I was expecting.

Quatum Machine press (palms forward)
150 x 10
225 x 5 sets of 10 reps

lateral holding quarters (in between front and side)
4 sets of 12 reps

Good day even though I missed my bench numbers. I had a feeling they were going to be rough today since I did a BIG pressing day last Wed (instead of Monday like usual) AND I had a pretty good arm day on Friday (sore all weekend). I should have put off pressing until Tue or Wed this week... live and learn. Luckily there is no bench at my comp :D

Next training day should be Wed or Thurs and I "plan" to do the Axle deadlift, stones and tire. We'll see how that goes...

robert da strongman
05-04-2009, 02:55 PM
nice pressing

tjoe
05-05-2009, 03:18 PM
well, getting anxious now...
looking forward to training tomorrow, big posterior chain day...
looking forward to some more rest and more food...
feelin' pretty good I think.

tjoe
05-06-2009, 11:53 AM
well... this was not the day I planned...

axle deadlift
150 x 10
240 x 10
330 x 5
420 x 3
510 x 6 Not bad I guess. The axle in my next comp is 450 (but a bit lower) Had the camera to get a video and the damn card was full AND the batteries were dying I got 3/4 of the first rep on video! DAMN!

Stone work
16" x 3
18" x 3 *video* Very rough start... I have no excuse.
18" x 3
16" x 7 for some more volume
Not too bad since last time I only got 2 singles with the 18" stone. I had a rough start in the video but the second set was better.

Yiz6YSmdBSg

and that was it!
I was supposed to do the tire flip next but my partner was on the phone wiht his real estate guy :mad: So I missed that but figured no biggie since the Tri-Axle dump truck will be here in about 10 minutes anyway. Should save a few breathes to try and pull that thing... So I'm waiting, and waiting and finally make a call... THEY FORGOT!! No truck! No tire flip! Dead batteries! Full memory card! I've had better days. This was supposed to be one of those better days since it was my last big "pulling" day prior to my Paxton Comp...

robert da strongman
05-06-2009, 12:22 PM
good liftin...

no tacky on the stones? will help the grip during the comp

oh check FL lounge

tjoe
05-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Nope, no tacky.
I wanna try and get as good as possible without it (basically never use it for training) then when I do use it in Comp, it will be a huge advantage (compared to what I am used to).
The only exception may be when the comp stones are just TOO heavy even with tacky. Then I will have to use it in training to get used to "heavier" loads. That may happen next year. Paxton is almost here (biggest stone is 320 I think) and then the MA Championships in Aug use a 240 stone for reps.

robert da strongman
05-06-2009, 03:12 PM
yeah i try to keep from it. chalk only. but sometimes my ego needs a boost.

and i found white gojo works great at removing tacky

GameofInches
05-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Some nice training man! Seems like you are all ready for the comp. Have you ever done a truck pull before? I never have and I am curious to try b/c I think it might be a fun event.

robert da strongman
05-06-2009, 04:02 PM
the key to a harness truck pull...the start. stay low and use the legs.
is it rope assisted?

or is it arm over arm?

tjoe
05-06-2009, 04:15 PM
I have done them a few times.
We do a charity event every year with a "light" truck pull. We finish it pretty quick which is why I wanted to test out the Tri-Axle Dump truck. Perhaps then we would "need" the rope :D
For the record I DO NOT have a truck pull in either upcoming Comp.

-Pzl0RroAX4

robert da strongman
05-06-2009, 04:30 PM
oh you are just sick and like pulling trucks...

tjoe
05-07-2009, 12:34 PM
I planned on doing all arms tomorrow... but I kinda felt like training today so I split it up:

Rope pressdowns
40 x 20
70 x 20
100 x 10
130 x 10, 10, 10

DB OHExt.
60 x 20
70 x 20
80 x 15, 15, 15
These felt very light but the elbow hurts

Rev Grip Bench press
135 x 20
185 x 15, 15, 15
MUCH different grip than usual. I went between the smooth and the ring and really kept the elbows in tight. Normally I go out to the rings or even a bit wider... but then I go up to 315 or so for less reps (and that is usually first in the workout)

Kickbacks Ronnie Coleman style (using the FST-7 principle)
20s x 15
20s x 15
20s x 12
20s x 10
15s x 11
15s x 9
10s x 12
and they were LIT!!

Very good day of training (like a BBer.. :Dhaha!) Felt great though... besides, who couldn't use a bigger set O guns??

robert da strongman
05-07-2009, 12:39 PM
nice training

we can forgive the bb'er bit....

tjoe
05-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Haha!!
He may return after the Aug 8th comp :eek:

robert da strongman
05-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Haha!!
He may return after the Aug 8th comp :eek:

haha...

prove to everyone strongmen arent all fat

tjoe
05-07-2009, 01:23 PM
well this video is about as "Lean" as I ever got and this was aftert about 6 months on Daves diet (not real steady with cardio though). I just enjoy training like a BBer sometimes. Besides, all our Strongman gear is outside... not so fun in New England winters! Plus, that would give my joints a nice little breadk as well!

I9a9VKQQeGg

SUMO
05-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Any strongman that throws kickbacks in his workout has my respect. Too many damn people worry about others not thinking they're harcore enough.

musclegoddess65
05-07-2009, 02:33 PM
hey what's wrong with BBer's :)

robert da strongman
05-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Any strongman that throws kickbacks in his workout has my respect. Too many damn people worry about others not thinking they're harcore enough.

concentration curls are definitely more hardcore than kickbacks

tjoe
05-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Any strongman that throws kickbacks in his workout has my respect. Too many damn people worry about others not thinking they're harcore enough.Haha!! Yeah, someone tell Ronnie he ain't "hardcore" cause apparently he didn't get the memo!
Besides I've always been a big beleiver in heavy basics first with low reps and then some good volume work and a pump at the end... Just makes sense, cover all the bases!!

robert da strongman
05-07-2009, 03:37 PM
my basic workout that i got was like this...

1st exercise 5sets 1-3 reps
2nd........6sets 6-8 reps
3rd............8sets 15-20 reps

tjoe
05-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Going in to train Bis around noon'ish...
just watched Poundstones "Viper" video and I'm a lil amped up to the gym :)

robert da strongman
05-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Going in to train Bis around noon'ish...
just watched Poundstones "Viper" video and I'm a lil amped up to the gym :)

that is now a fixture on my ipod

tjoe
05-08-2009, 02:56 PM
EZ bar shoulder width grip
40 x 20
60 x 15
80 x 12
100 x 12, 12, 12

Inc DB curls
20s x 15
25s x 15
30s x 12, 12, 12

Underhand grip pulldowns, shoulder width grip, focus on bis
100 x 12
130 x 12, 12, 12

Cable preacher curl (FST-7 style)
60 x 15
60 x 12
40 x 15
40 x 15
40 x 13
40 x 13
40 x 12 + 3 forced reps

Good day!

robert da strongman
05-08-2009, 03:33 PM
curls for the gurls

good stuff

tjoe
05-09-2009, 06:22 PM
So, here we go... a week out tomorrow :eek:

Arms feel pretty wrecked from Thurs and Fri. Nice weekend off from training. Trying to get some calories in this week.

The wife went shopping and I had her grab some stuff for me for the week ahead. Sweet Potatos to go with the box of Omaha Steaks I've been saving for this week. 2 gallons of chocolate milk (for some extra calories, I usually just drink water or crystal light). I got a bunch of ground red meat that I will mix with some rice and gravy. And I have to go pick up a bunch of salad stuff. Of course I have plenty of stuff for some shakes if need be.

Next week I am thinking a real good pressing day on Monday, then "maybe" on Thursday I will just do some real quick farmers walk with the 120lbs. DBs (think Westside spd day but for strongman). Then rest and eat up til Sunday :D

Just sucked down a Dbl Quarter pounder from McD's and I am headed out for a little birthday cookout shortly :D

musclegoddess65
05-09-2009, 06:54 PM
mmm sweet potatoes and omaha steaks AND chocolate milk (well 2 gals I'd be sick)

Will your wife be doing any video of this for ya to share with us?

Looking forward to hearing how ya do!

GameofInches
05-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Looks like your going strong and on your way. Goodluck man, and try to get some pics and/or videos to post.

tjoe
05-10-2009, 05:03 PM
mmm sweet potatoes and omaha steaks AND chocolate milk (well 2 gals I'd be sick)

Will your wife be doing any video of this for ya to share with us?

Looking forward to hearing how ya do!

Looks like your going strong and on your way. Goodluck man, and try to get some pics and/or videos to post.Thanks guys and yes I hope to get some vids and pics of all the events!

SUMO
05-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks guys and yes I hope to get some vids and pics of all the events!
If he doesn't get any video from this comp, I'll be at the contest in August and I'll make sure to get some.

tjoe
05-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Cave-Man - you doin the MA State?

SUMO
05-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Cave-Man - you doin the MA State?
Haven't decided yet. Either way, though, I'm at least going down to watch.

Curt James
05-10-2009, 09:53 PM
So, here we go... a week out tomorrow :eek:

Arms feel pretty wrecked from Thurs and Fri. Nice weekend off from training. Trying to get some calories in this week.

The wife went shopping and I had her grab some stuff for me for the week ahead. Sweet Potatos to go with the box of Omaha Steaks I've been saving for this week. 2 gallons of chocolate milk (for some extra calories, I usually just drink water or crystal light). I got a bunch of ground red meat that I will mix with some rice and gravy. And I have to go pick up a bunch of salad stuff. Of course I have plenty of stuff for some shakes if need be.

Next week I am thinking a real good pressing day on Monday, then "maybe" on Thursday I will just do some real quick farmers walk with the 120lbs. DBs (think Westside spd day but for strongman). Then rest and eat up til Sunday :D

Just sucked down a Dbl Quarter pounder from McD's and I am headed out for a little birthday cookout shortly :D

I'm hungry after reading this post.

No surprise, eh? :beerbang:

tjoe
05-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Sup Curt? Thanks for droppin in! now go eat sumthin'!!

tjoe
05-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Bench (middle finger on ring)
bar x 20
135 x 15
225 x 8
315 x 3
385 x 1 *very happy with this*
225 x 20 We have a charity thing coming up and it is bodyweight for reps, so I figure since 385 x 1 is not much "volume", why not. I had a couple more but was fine with 20 at this point in time.

Overhead push press behind the neck
95 x 10
145 x 5
195 x 3
245 x 4 sets of triples *again very happy here* It was some good weight, strong triples, 12 reps total, felt good and they got better as I went on. Last set I was pretty sure I could ahve done at least 5 maybe more. Didn't wanna push it though since I got less than a week til game time. Not gonna get much stronger now, just want to come in healthy and rested!

GameofInches
05-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Good training Tjoe! I never do behind the neck presses, do you find them to have a good carryover to front presses?

tjoe
05-11-2009, 08:38 PM
well nothing is really "just like" the Viking Press that will be in my comp. but the behind the head did seem to help a bit. first time I went to practice the Viking I got 4 and then 6... last time I went I got 10. I am hoping for 12 plus at the comp on Sunday.

GameofInches
05-12-2009, 06:47 PM
well nothing is really "just like" the Viking Press that will be in my comp. but the behind the head did seem to help a bit. first time I went to practice the Viking I got 4 and then 6... last time I went I got 10. I am hoping for 12 plus at the comp on Sunday.

That sounds good man, you should def get 12

tjoe
05-12-2009, 07:32 PM
That sounds good man, you should def get 12or more :D Haha!! time will tell...

Two guys from my gym are promoting a Natty BB show in July and asked if I would do a "Strength Demo". So I am going to try and pull 500 for some reps and see what happens. It's about 1 month prior to my Aug comp so it shouldn't really interupt with that. It may actually fit in well since I have a 500lbs. axle fro reps in the Aug comp.

Will definately be something different though....

GameofInches
05-12-2009, 08:20 PM
or more :D Haha!! time will tell...

Two guys from my gym are promoting a Natty BB show in July and asked if I would do a "Strength Demo". So I am going to try and pull 500 for some reps and see what happens. It's about 1 month prior to my Aug comp so it shouldn't really interupt with that. It may actually fit in well since I have a 500lbs. axle fro reps in the Aug comp.

Will definately be something different though....

That should be fun, I wouldn't think the demo would hurt your comp prep. You should practice some phone book tears, frying pan rolling, nail bending, etc. Those are always fun feats of strength for people to see.

tjoe
05-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Not a great day of eating today :(
Mother in law fell had to get her to the hospital... crazy day.
At least I got in a #3 from McDonalds :)
Nice shake later... maybe even my steak...

robert da strongman
05-14-2009, 05:02 PM
hope she is ok...

mcd's...yummy

SUMO
05-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Not a great day of eating today :(
Mother in law fell had to get her to the hospital... crazy day.
At least I got in a #3 from McDonalds :)
Nice shake later... maybe even my steak...
Ahh, yes. The double quarter pounder with cheese value meal. Good choice.

tjoe
05-15-2009, 08:26 AM
hope she is ok...

mcd's...yummyShe is home and doing better, but still pretty beat up:(

Ahh, yes. The double quarter pounder with cheese value meal. Good choice.D'licious!

Couple changes to the Paxton Strongman Slam:
1 - Viking press
2 - Axle Deadlift
3 - Tire Flip
4 - Farmers walk
5 - Stones

1, 2 & 5 will be inside
3 & 5 will be out in the driveway, up a slight incline, 60ft. no turns and now they are seperate rather than part combined as a medley.

gettin close... :popcorn:

smj091977
05-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Bench (middle finger on ring)
bar x 20
135 x 15
225 x 8
315 x 3
385 x 1 *very happy with this*
225 x 20 We have a charity thing coming up and it is bodyweight for reps, so I figure since 385 x 1 is not much "volume", why not. I had a couple more but was fine with 20 at this point in time.

Overhead push press behind the neck
95 x 10
145 x 5
195 x 3
245 x 4 sets of triples *again very happy here* It was some good weight, strong triples, 12 reps total, felt good and they got better as I went on. Last set I was pretty sure I could ahve done at least 5 maybe more. Didn't wanna push it though since I got less than a week til game time. Not gonna get much stronger now, just want to come in healthy and rested!

Nice Workout!

tjoe
05-17-2009, 06:32 AM
Nice Workout!Thanks!

Morning of the Paxton Strongman Slam:
weather does not look perfect.
feel pretty good.
bought/buying a new car this weekend so there is a little stress I wasn't planning on.
If the events stay as I listed them ( a few posts up) I feel I can do well.
I'll find out in 3.5 hours :D

:wavey: C Ya tonight...

smj091977
05-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Good Luck, Lift hard!

GameofInches
05-17-2009, 08:58 AM
Goodluck man, tear that shit up! I look forward to see how you do

musclegoddess65
05-17-2009, 09:00 AM
Good luck... looking forward to your update later!

tjoe
05-17-2009, 05:40 PM
4qupH5N4nnM

226MVKVgEww

WPKgcKnIT2E

XjgCe69fRO4

VUCNLttRDhI

robert da strongman
05-17-2009, 05:41 PM
congrats!

tjoe
05-17-2009, 05:50 PM
OK so the videos are in order from 1st event to last.

I got 1st place in the Viking press and could have done 2-3 more I think but 15 won it.

Axle deadlift was good but I should have pulled out a win here as well. I've not been hitting deads hard enough and I paid for it here with a tie for 1st, rather than a win.

Tire flip I thought i would do much better than I did. I do know that speed IS my WEAK point though so I am not real upset with this one. I think I got 5th place here.

Farmers walk... again with the speed. I was 4th, 5th or 6th here as well... not sure exactly.

Stones, I did pretty much as I expected here although the entire run was to 52" the last 2 stones were supposed to be to 48" originally.

When all was said and done I got 2nd place out of 11 competitors!! Only my second comp and I'm pretty psyched! :beerbang: That event qualified me for Nationals as well... I don't see that happening since I couldn't affoard to go.

Next on my list at the moment is the Mass State Strongman Championships in August. I would really like a 1st place there and I know the competitors will be very good. The competition is not very well suited for me though. I really need to bring up my speed and conditioning for that show. I have enough strength for it....

Awesome time!!

robert da strongman
05-17-2009, 05:51 PM
what you not going to Louisiana?!?

GameofInches
05-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Congrats, tjoe! That was a great performance and placing at this comp. It seems like you are right on point with your strength, but once you get your endurance and speed down, you will be a strong conteneder at nationals. Keep up the great work man!

GameofInches
05-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Oh, and what were the weights again for each event?

smj091977
05-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Congrats! You looked strong! Nice videos, you uploaded them quick. Seeing these makes me want to hit it hard tomorrow!

tjoe
05-17-2009, 08:54 PM
what you not going to Louisiana?!?is that Nationals? Toss up a link I haven't had toime to check it out! Thanks bro.

Congrats, tjoe! That was a great performance and placing at this comp. It seems like you are right on point with your strength, but once you get your endurance and speed down, you will be a strong conteneder at nationals. Keep up the great work man!Thanks bro, I really appreciate it!

Oh, and what were the weights again for each event?Viking was 250, Axle was 455, Tire was 700, Farmers 245 per hand and Stones were 180, 240, 250, 275 & 300 all to 52"

Congrats! You looked strong! Nice videos, you uploaded them quick. Seeing these makes me want to hit it hard tomorrow!Thanks! I try to get them up quick especially when people have been supporitng me and following along. Hope I motivated someone for a good workout!!

robert da strongman
05-17-2009, 08:57 PM
nothing up yet...but it is in lafayette. october i believe. events will be announced in july.

tjoe
05-18-2009, 07:20 PM
So now that Paxton is said and done:

I feel pretty good. Sore, but good. I am going to enjoy a week off unless I get real anxious to hit some weights. If that is the case I will most likely just hit some arm work since it's kinda fun for me. Then next week I have to start working on my prep for Aug.

Bought a new car today. The wife and I sold our Jeep to my brother in law and I traded in my little Impreza for a 2009 Outback.
Might be a little rough getting used to just 1 vehicle in the family but we both work in town and don't travel all that much. I love the car adn it has room for the Lil Man and my pooch (when he comes along). My Impreza was way too small for that!
Plus I have a bit more room as well which is nice cause I ain't gettin any smaller :D

That's about it for now... I'm gonna go finish my Imperial White and enjoy my Meat Lovers Pizza. The if I have room some Ben and Jerrys Phish Food :eek: Then it's a little cleaner diet and some cardio... til then my tatse buds will be happy lil campers :D

GameofInches
05-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Once again, congrats at the comp, you did great! Goodluck with the new car. Take a couple days off and enjoy the good performance at the show and then come back to hit it hard again

tjoe
05-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Well I am enjoying my time off.
Diet absolutley sucks right now... I'll fix it next week.
Did arms today (just because) and everything felt pretty good aside from that little elbow twinge in my left arm.
I like the car so far... It's very practicle, good on gas, not to "grandpa(ish)" and has more room (which I like a lot) I was starting to get a bit uncomfortable in the little Impreza.
If I can figure out how to add a certain attachment, I will put up my training schedule for the next 11 weeks prior to the Ma State Strongman Championships.
Looking forward to getting it started on Monday...

tjoe
05-25-2009, 10:40 AM
MeveLjNnHIg

Alright... this was my 10th set of 10 reps!
I did mostly strict pressing all morning and I started getting a bit fatigued by this point so you see a bit more leg drive on the last 3 reps.
We took our time (bout 90 minutes) since there was 3 of us training. Weight of the log is between 160-170 not sure exactly. Next week I add 30llbs. and do ladders :eek: Probably not going to be very fun...

Sandpig
05-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Joe, little late, but congrats, dude! Awesome job.

tjoe
05-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Joe, little late, but congrats, dude! Awesome job.Thanks bro! Appreciate the support. Now it's prep time for Aug!

tjoe
05-26-2009, 01:48 PM
So the log went great yesterday. Not really sore or beat up today at all.
On to the deads...
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 10
405 x 10, 10
My freakin twinge in my right glute is still lurking! The weight feels pretty light but I am more focused on that little tweak and it's throwin me off.

To make up for the lack of volume (that I wanted), I hit the 45 degree hyper while holding a 45. Did 3 sets of 10 reps there and that finished off the back nicely.

Tomorrow is the tire and wouldn't ya know... rain in the forecast :(

robert da strongman
05-26-2009, 03:36 PM
nice deads!

tjoe
05-27-2009, 12:11 PM
nice deads!Thanks bro. I'm not happy with my twinge though! Hope my little massage work on Fri takes care of it a bit. We'll see...

Pretty sore from the last 2 days of training, which I knew would happen but in the course of a strongman comp, you are more and more fatigued every event. The only one that you hit "fresh" is the first so I figure it was a good idea to train in a fatigued state.

chilly, kinda rainy... o well!

Tire (apx 500 or so)
10 runs at 50ft. a piece!
first 2 were pretty slow to just warm up a bit
then I worked on my speed a bit, specifically: pushing it over more and getting back under quickly. I had maybe 5 or 6 real good runs, 2-3 that weren't quite right and then the 2 warm ups. So overall I was pretty happy with the day.

robert da strongman
05-27-2009, 12:13 PM
good tire work.

do you have a foam roller?
i am thinking of getting one just for the it band work.

tjoe
05-27-2009, 12:32 PM
I do not. But several people have suggested something of the sort (even a tennis ball!) We have a really good Massage Therapist at our gym so I am going to have her d a little work on Friday... see what she says and take it from there.

robert da strongman
05-27-2009, 12:47 PM
make sure she goes deep!
hard to find anyone capable of really working me good.

GameofInches
05-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Nice Deads Tjoe! I was going to recommend the foam roller like Rob did. I would say to use that, or I have heard people using a piece of PVC pipe or a lacrosse ball for more precise areas. There is a youtube video of Joe Defranco using a lacrosse ball, you might want to check that out for ideas.

tjoe
05-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys!

Did Farmers walk today...
120lbs. DBs
50ft. runs
20 of them!!

Man am I getting achy! This volume week is starting to get rough! 2 more weeks of it though... I am looking forward to the weekend of NO training:D

robert da strongman
05-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks guys!

Did Farmers walk today...
120lbs. DBs
50ft. runs
20 of them!!

Man am I getting achy! This volume week is starting to get rough! 2 more weeks of it though... I am looking forward to the weekend of NO training:D

you sir have officially crossed the crazy line:beerbang:

tjoe
05-28-2009, 08:14 PM
wait til tomorrow!!
not heavy but dumb volume... gonna suck pretty bad...

tjoe
05-29-2009, 12:48 PM
just the lil guy (14" apx 115lbs. or so)
67" bar
10 sets of 10 reps
Great day for working technique and breathing
next week the bar goes down and the weight goes up to 16" 176ish
not sure about the reps yet...

robert da strongman
05-29-2009, 01:04 PM
just the lil guy (14" apx 115lbs. or so)
67" bar
10 sets of 10 reps
Great day for working technique and breathing
next week the bar goes down and the weight goes up to 16" 176ish
not sure about the reps yet...

thats insane!
like the volume

tjoe
05-29-2009, 04:41 PM
wasn't horrible but the 16"er next week will proabably be rough. about 175lbs. or so and I'm not sure how much volume I will go for yet but probably a lot...

robert da strongman
05-29-2009, 04:42 PM
wasn't horrible but the 16"er next week will proabably be rough. about 175lbs. or so and I'm not sure how much volume I will go for yet but probably a lot...

tacky or chalk?

tjoe
05-29-2009, 07:05 PM
tacky or chalk?Neither :D

robert da strongman
05-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Neither :D

nice!!

gonna have to stop with the tacky...need to shoulder for september.
besides this humidity here prevents chalk and tacky from being effective

Thad
05-31-2009, 09:19 PM
nice!!

gonna have to stop with the tacky...need to shoulder for september.
besides this humidity here prevents chalk and tacky from being effective
I've been training without tack for the last couple of weeks. I realized how much I was depending on the tack to lift the stones.

tjoe
06-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Log + 30lbs.
ladders
9 Missed the 10th rep!! Bummer
54 reps in total
Next week I add 60lbs.

Have to bare with me as my computer is dead again so I only have a small amount of time while at work to log on... :(

JW
06-02-2009, 02:46 AM
I agree with rob. no need for the 100% if you want to continue with BBing. Otherwise I like it. I am a big fan of training only 3-4 days per week and letting rest and diet do the rest! Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Hi Tjoe / Robert,

Just dropped by to let ya know how I got on with the strength program we discussed a while back:

Squat: 1RM was 110kg now 120kg # (not including bar weight)

Deadlift: 1RM was 150kg now 165kg # (not including bar weight)

Bench: 1RM was 80kg now 80kg # (not including bar weight)
(note: whilst no change has occurred I’m now lifting the weight through a full ROM; whereas before I’d stop 2” above my chest)

# All figures are based on a prediction table (NSCA Essentials of strength and conditioning, 2000) taken from a 2-3RM max.

As you can see the programmes worked out pretty good!! However the biggest benefit I experienced from this program was a 100% improvement in by chest training. When I started training Dorian was my hero and as he didn’t bench neither would I so I’ve only been flat benching consistently for a year or two. My form was also poor. After watching how powerlifter bench and finding some great vid’s on power benching technique from the West-side boys and Jonnie Jackson my form is now much better and I now also feel safe and ‘locked in’ when benching.

Following you guys suggestion I’m now de-loading my core lifts to 60%1RM and direct assistant lifts (e.g. leg presses) to 65% for the next two weeks. After that I plan to spend two weeks working at around 75%1RM before going roughly through the same RM progression as before; 75% (2 weeks), 85% (2 weeks), 90% (2 weeks) de-load.

Just wanted to end by saying thank you once again for your help, support and encouragement.

All the best
:beerbang:

tjoe
06-02-2009, 11:35 AM
JW - congrats on the progress and your welcome! Anytime bro!

Deads
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 5
315 x 5
365 x 5
455 x 5, 5

Hypers 45 degree
me x 20, 20

Glute still hurts... I need to be more pro active in my stretching!

tjoe
06-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Tire flippin'

small tire
75ft. runs
7 of them
11 flips per run
ended up being 25ft. more than last week as far as total distance for the day.
felt pretty good and I didn't notice my "twinge" too bad... only seems to affect deads...

robert da strongman
06-03-2009, 08:13 PM
I've been training without tack for the last couple of weeks. I realized how much I was depending on the tack to lift the stones.

amazing isnt it?
wait till you go back to using tacky...feels like the stones suck to your arms.

robert da strongman
06-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Log + 30lbs.
ladders
9 Missed the 10th rep!! Bummer
54 reps in total
Next week I add 60lbs.

Have to bare with me as my computer is dead again so I only have a small amount of time while at work to log on... :(

JW - congrats on the progress and your welcome! Anytime bro!

Deads
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 5
315 x 5
365 x 5
455 x 5, 5

Hypers 45 degree
me x 20, 20

Glute still hurts... I need to be more pro active in my stretching!

Tire flippin'

small tire
75ft. runs
7 of them
11 flips per run
ended up being 25ft. more than last week as far as total distance for the day.
felt pretty good and I didn't notice my "twinge" too bad... only seems to affect deads...

good training there!

robert da strongman
06-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Hi Tjoe / Robert,

Just dropped by to let ya know how I got on with the strength program we discussed a while back:

Squat: 1RM was 110kg now 120kg # (not including bar weight)

Deadlift: 1RM was 150kg now 165kg # (not including bar weight)

Bench: 1RM was 80kg now 80kg # (not including bar weight)
(note: whilst no change has occurred I’m now lifting the weight through a full ROM; whereas before I’d stop 2” above my chest)

# All figures are based on a prediction table (NSCA Essentials of strength and conditioning, 2000) taken from a 2-3RM max.

As you can see the programmes worked out pretty good!! However the biggest benefit I experienced from this program was a 100% improvement in by chest training. When I started training Dorian was my hero and as he didn’t bench neither would I so I’ve only been flat benching consistently for a year or two. My form was also poor. After watching how powerlifter bench and finding some great vid’s on power benching technique from the West-side boys and Jonnie Jackson my form is now much better and I now also feel safe and ‘locked in’ when benching.

Following you guys suggestion I’m now de-loading my core lifts to 60%1RM and direct assistant lifts (e.g. leg presses) to 65% for the next two weeks. After that I plan to spend two weeks working at around 75%1RM before going roughly through the same RM progression as before; 75% (2 weeks), 85% (2 weeks), 90% (2 weeks) de-load.

Just wanted to end by saying thank you once again for your help, support and encouragement.

All the best
:beerbang:

cool!
keep us posted!

tjoe
06-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Farmers first
all for 75 ft. no turn
110 x 2 rounds
200 x 5 rounds (slightly uphill) still very slow but grip is no problem)

Stone
16" (apx 175 or so) no tacky or chalk
49" bar 5 sets of 5

Happy with the day. Was supposed to do stone tomorrow but training partners schedules were conflicting and the weather does not look favorable. Anyway, I'll be glad to have 3 days off in a row... my body is WRECKED!!!

tjoe
06-04-2009, 11:58 AM
and the computer is still down...
maybe going to get one tonight...

tjoe
06-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Just chillin at home and playin with our new MacBook.
Glad I trained the stone yesterday and took today off. Feels a little better already but I know if I had done stones this morning it would be a different story.
I have a graduation party to attend this Sunday so I should be all "caloried up" for Mondays Log work :D
Check out his pic of Lil C we took last Sunday at a wedding we went to:

robert da strongman
06-05-2009, 04:01 PM
great farmers and stones!

awesome pic...future strongman

tjoe
06-08-2009, 03:45 PM
well, the three days off felt pretty good to me.
we'll see hoe the training goes this week I suppose. tonight it's log with comp weight (6:30pm). then tomorrow it's deads with 495 for whatever I can muster. still a little concerned about that but I'll just get through tonight and take it from there :)

robert da strongman
06-08-2009, 04:01 PM
yes i am going to take this week off and restart saturday.

whats the next comp?

tjoe
06-08-2009, 06:13 PM
MA State Strongman Championships! August 8th Everrett MA.

robert da strongman
06-08-2009, 06:14 PM
looks like a good one

tjoe
06-08-2009, 09:21 PM
empty (160) x 5
190 x 3
220 x 5 Not happy
240 x 1 Still not happy
200 x 9 eh
220 x 5 eh
220 x 6 better... but my last set should not be my best

at least I got I a lot of reps in with some heavy(ish) reps...

robert da strongman
06-08-2009, 09:28 PM
is that one of those logs from slaters?

tjoe
06-09-2009, 10:52 AM
135 x 10
225 x 3
315 x 3
405 x 1
495 x 5... OK but I should be getting 10+ Still a little "tweaky" but not as bad as it has been. Training partner said I had at least 2 more... not sure.

45 degree hypers
me x 3 sets of 20 reps

Rob - It's not from Slater. We had it made for us out of a solid peice of White Oak. It's pretty sweet. It was 180 when we first got it, but since it's dried out a bit it's down to just over 160ish... I call it 160.

robert da strongman
06-09-2009, 10:54 AM
135 x 10
225 x 3
315 x 3
405 x 1
495 x 5... OK but I should be getting 10+ Still a little "tweaky" but not as bad as it has been. Training partner said I had at least 2 more... not sure.

45 degree hypers
me x 3 sets of 20 reps

Rob - It's not from Slater. We had it made for us out of a solid peice of White Oak. It's pretty sweet. It was 180 when we first got it, but since it's dried out a bit it's down to just over 160ish... I call it 160.

good deads
ah cool! keep it dry or it will weigh 300...

tjoe
06-10-2009, 10:06 AM
50ft.
50ft.
100ft. x 4 runs (7 flips down hill and 7 flips up hill)

good enough. I timed my last run and it was just over 50 seconds... a couple factors to consider: light tire, up hill/down hill, pretty fatigued considering the prior 2 weeks of volume work.

Overall I was pretty happy with today.

robert da strongman
06-10-2009, 10:26 AM
uphill??

sick stuff

tjoe
06-10-2009, 01:29 PM
yeah we don't have a nice flat spot for most of this stuff so it's a slight up or a slight down... good for training I suppose.