PDA

View Full Version : Corticosteroid

Krcz
02-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Hello everyone, my doctor prescribed me one injection of betamethasone of 0.6 mg to treat a bursitis on my shoulder.
Although is only one shot, what side effects (besides bloat) can I experience? I haven't decided if I want to do it, I've been reading a lot about all the side effects on metabolism, muscle, etc. but I'm not sure if I should worry so much given the dosage I'll take and the fact that is only one injection.

Can anyone help me out on this?, I'm afraid my progress will be affected by taking this medication.

Thanks in advance!

F.K.M.
02-13-2010, 06:18 PM
cortico-steroid is not the same as an anabolic / androgenic steroid.

Krcz
02-13-2010, 06:37 PM
cortico-steroid is not the same as an anabolic / androgenic steroid.
I know that, I wasn't sure where else to post it. I'm only concern about the side effects of corticosteroids and I wanted some advice or experiences from someone related to the subject.

RealLilSwole
02-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Not trying to sound like an ass but I would google it as far as side effects go. But I understand wanting to see others experiences on here.

RealLilSwole
02-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Also contact Margaret Negrete on here. She has a training journal. She has been having some injections on her wrists.

Krcz
02-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Thank you. Yes, like I've mentioned, I have an idea of what to expect from taking corticosteroids. But, I'm not sure if the amount I'll take and due to the fact that is only one injection I should worry so much, most of the worst side effects I've read show up on long term treatments with corticosteroids.
I'll check on Margaret Negrete's journal.

Thank you again.

Suzanne
02-14-2010, 12:47 AM
I am sure one won't kill you but repeated it will actually weaken ligament and tendons

thats why i am just suffering with my elbow rather than cortisone

sassy69
02-14-2010, 03:09 AM
I've had a couple cortisone shots over my right shoulder since 2006. Use them very very sparingly. The only thing they really offer is reduction in very bad or very limiting pain. They don't fix anything, and in fact w/ the reduction in pain is something to be very careful of. Pain is your body telling you to be careful w/ what you are doing. If you feel "better" following a cortisone injection and then you go back to lifting, you could actually aggravate the area you just had injected.

In terms of progress, no big issue. Like Suzanne said - 1 won't kill you. Its part of a process to let the aggravated area heal w/ less pain. Take that time, let the area heal, even if it doesn't feel as painful as it did. Don't stop going to the gym, but be more creative w/ your workouts so you can let the shoulder heal some. I've found especially shoulders never really heal completely - its a very complex joint. Get some good recommendations for shoulder warm ups and any rehab if they recommend it. And do those warmups religiously. They will make life a lot easier going forward.

Training is about constant tear down & build up. The joints take the brunt of the work - especially knees & shoulders. Just take this is part of the "tear down" process - you may find you can come back stronger if you give special consideration to those joints going forward. They just need a little more attention and warm up than those less exposed.

Krcz
02-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Thank you so much, both of you, Suzanne and Sassy.
I'm less worry now after reading your posts.
I'll make sure to take extra care of my shoulders from now on.
Thank you again for the advices.

Suzanne
02-14-2010, 12:05 PM
i don't know what i actually had bursitis, tendinitis etc with my front delt pain but electronic stim at chiropractor helped a lot

Bryan Hildebrand
02-23-2010, 11:42 PM
cortico's have a very functional purpose besides pain reduction. they dont neccessarily mask an injury either. injuries are usually either found in a physical exam by your Dr/PA/NP or through imaging. assumedly you have an imflammatory process from lifting. using one of several common cortico's once will give you nothing more than pain relief and a renewed comfort in that joint. as part of your treatment, assumedly they will have you either do specific stretching/strengthening exercises with a PT or on your own. these are imperative in your rehabing the joint.

as for side effects... everyone is different, but honestly, you wont notice anything because there really is nothing to it. taking things like tapering medrol dose packs can have sides or oral prednisone for 7 or more days.

have it done. ive had:

R shoulder x2
L shoulder x1
both heals (plantar)
L knee
L elbow
several fingers for Trigger finger.