PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with Chiropractor Dr. Mike Feulner

huge285
02-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Post your questions for Dr. Mike Feulner........... He's not just a great chiropractor...he's also one of the head expeditors backstage at just about every top NPC and IFBB contest.

cro0sh
02-09-2009, 06:50 AM
Hey Dr Mike!

Just wanted to say thanks for the opportunity and your time.

I got injured deadlifting for the first time, and I went to a local chiro. I've gone for 6 treatments and $200 later I feel no better (this is over 3 weeks). He says its my sciatic nerve (I feel it when I look down in my low back when sitting down). He never took any x-rays/mri's or anything.

I'm wondering if I should try and find another chiro or just wait it out. Is there some sort of special treatment for this type of thing?

Thanks Mike.

SugaBritches
02-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Hey Dr. Mike Feulner! I look forward to asking you some questions about chiropractic health and what you have to offer in the competitive area as an athlete.

THUNDERGOD
02-09-2009, 06:34 PM
My pelvis is slightly twisted and I have been having some issues with the SI joint on the right side. Been going to a Chiro here, but he has trouble adjusting me. Is there anything I can do at home to help loosen this up?

JamesWebb
02-09-2009, 08:09 PM
similar story as cro, but mine is a compounding injury over an extended period of time. I have extreme pain that leads to numbness throughout my lower back when I sit on anything soft or drive, driving is the worst after about 30 minutes I can not drive any longer. I have been going 3 times a week for three weeks and feel worse. I do electro stim and lower back adjustments. My chiro finally today said that if at the end of the week things are not feeling better we will do an MRI anything else I should ask for?

gman
02-09-2009, 10:02 PM
I have the SI problem as well. Any tips on stretching it?

It is a constant ache now, used to just come and go.

Dr. Mike Feulner
02-10-2009, 01:11 AM
Hey Dr Mike!

Just wanted to say thanks for the opportunity and your time.

I got injured deadlifting for the first time, and I went to a local chiro. I've gone for 6 treatments and $200 later I feel no better (this is over 3 weeks). He says its my sciatic nerve (I feel it when I look down in my low back when sitting down). He never took any x-rays/mri's or anything.

I'm wondering if I should try and find another chiro or just wait it out. Is there some sort of special treatment for this type of thing?

Thanks Mike.

Hey cro0sh,

No problem...I'm happy to be here.

[B]A quick question...do you have pain and/or numbness traveling down your leg into the thigh, lower leg or foot? This would be indicative of a sciatic nerve issue. Also, did you hear or feel a "pop" when you injured yourself or did the pain come on later? From what you are describing it sounds more like a subluxation of the SI joint. I have seen this many times in my practice with the athletes I work with and; to be honest, with myself. It often helps to have a chiropractor who understands weight lifting so he/she can better understand the mechanism of injury and just how to treat it. Regardless, you should be experiencing some form of relief within 6 visits. Xrays and MRI's are not always necessary and are ordered at the discretion of the doctor, so yours must have not felt they were warrented, but agsain with no improvement to this point, it might be time.

If I were you I would discuss this with your chiropractor and if you are unhappy with his answers then it might be time to look else where.[B]

Dr. Mike Feulner
02-10-2009, 01:14 AM
Hey Dr. Mike Feulner! I look forward to asking you some questions about chiropractic health and what you have to offer in the competitive area as an athlete.

Hey SugaBritches,

Thanks alot! I'm looking forward to answering all your questions about injuries and prevention and about the competitive area as well.

Dr. Mike Feulner
02-10-2009, 01:21 AM
My pelvis is slightly twisted and I have been having some issues with the SI joint on the right side. Been going to a Chiro here, but he has trouble adjusting me. Is there anything I can do at home to help loosen this up?

Hey Thundergod,
First off, if your chiropractor can not adjust you then it is probably time to find one who can. Working with athletes is not necessarily an easy task for some docs, so it is important to find one who can properly treat you for your injuries. As far as anything you can do at home...if you have someone who can perform PNF or PFS stretching on you to loosen up the surronding soft tissue that would help. Deep tissue massage could also be an option.

Dr. Mike Feulner
02-10-2009, 01:29 AM
similar story as cro, but mine is a compounding injury over an extended period of time. I have extreme pain that leads to numbness throughout my lower back when I sit on anything soft or drive, driving is the worst after about 30 minutes I can not drive any longer. I have been going 3 times a week for three weeks and feel worse. I do electro stim and lower back adjustments. My chiro finally today said that if at the end of the week things are not feeling better we will do an MRI anything else I should ask for?

Hey PastGenetics,

Did your chiro take xrays....would be a good place to start. This, according to you, has been a chronic condition that has gotten worse over time. If this is the case I would want to see what kind of degeneration (if any) has occured as this would effect your treatment plan. From what your are describing an MRI would probably be a good option.

Dr. Mike Feulner
02-10-2009, 01:35 AM
I have the SI problem as well. Any tips on stretching it?

It is a constant ache now, used to just come and go.

Hey Gman,

Besides being adjusted, PNF or PFS stretching works well. NYCBIGMIKE, who is one of my patients here has added inversion boots into the mix and it has worked quite well for him in loosening up both his low back and SI joints. Also, deep tissue massage helps with loosening up the surrounding musculature. The fact that your problem is progressing means you need to be a little more aggressive in your approach to treating this problem before it becomes a serious issue.

JamesWebb
02-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Hey PastGenetics,

Did your chiro take xrays....would be a good place to start. This, according to you, has been a chronic condition that has gotten worse over time. If this is the case I would want to see what kind of degeneration (if any) has occured as this would effect your treatment plan. From what your are describing an MRI would probably be a good option.

X-rays were taken the first visit. They showed inflammation at the L4 if i remember correctly. I could also clearly see that the L3-L4-L5 were all out of line, far enough that I could look at it and know something was up. I will push for the MRI on Friday and let you know how it goes. Thanks

dvsness
02-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Hey Dr Mike!

I was born with scoliosis, but through a childhood brace, regular chiropractic and weight training, you can barely tell now. :) However, I have a very hard time training with compression from above (SQUATS!) Can you recommend anything to improve this - it shoots right to my lower back. Legs are my weakness!

Also, I'm in the market for a new chiro and you're 2 blocks from my office. Do you accept Aetna and do you have an in-house MT?

Dr. Mike Feulner
02-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Hey Dr. Mike,

Welcome to Rx Muscle. If I may.........Dr. Feulner is without question the most amazing chiropractor I've ever encountered. One walk into his office and you will see alot of top bodybuilders and figure/fitness ladies from the tri-state area. He is THAT good. He has kept me and so many that do the things that we do in the game. I'm no kid, I am soon to be 47 and without Dr. Mike I wouldn't be doing the things that I do in the gym let alone step on stage. Thanks again for joining and sharing your knowledge and words of wisdom.

Thanks alot Mike! I am excited to be here.

Dr. Mike Feulner
02-10-2009, 10:13 PM
X-rays were taken the first visit. They showed inflammation at the L4 if i remember correctly. I could also clearly see that the L3-L4-L5 were all out of line, far enough that I could look at it and know something was up. I will push for the MRI on Friday and let you know how it goes. Thanks

Best of luck with everything...keep me posted.

Dr. Mike Feulner
02-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Hey Dr Mike!

I was born with scoliosis, but through a childhood brace, regular chiropractic and weight training, you can barely tell now. :) However, I have a very hard time training with compression from above (SQUATS!) Can you recommend anything to improve this - it shoots right to my lower back. Legs are my weakness!

Also, I'm in the market for a new chiro and you're 2 blocks from my office. Do you accept Aetna and do you have an in-house MT?

Hey dvsness,

Great job being proactive in your treatment of your scoliosis, you would be amazed at how many people would rather sit back and complain! One of my favorite leg movements, that will also relieve axial pressure on the spine, is belt squats. Done correctly this is an absolutely killer movement! Leg press is also an option, as are dumbell lunges.
Give my office a call I would be happy to see you...ask to speak to Melba and she will get you set up, Aetna is fine. I currently do not have an in-house MT, but have one in the neighborhood that I use.

cro0sh
02-11-2009, 02:29 AM
Hey cro0sh,

No problem...I'm happy to be here.

[B]A quick question...do you have pain and/or numbness traveling down your leg into the thigh, lower leg or foot? This would be indicative of a sciatic nerve issue. Also, did you hear or feel a "pop" when you injured yourself or did the pain come on later? From what you are describing it sounds more like a subluxation of the SI joint. I have seen this many times in my practice with the athletes I work with and; to be honest, with myself. It often helps to have a chiropractor who understands weight lifting so he/she can better understand the mechanism of injury and just how to treat it. Regardless, you should be experiencing some form of relief within 6 visits. Xrays and MRI's are not always necessary and are ordered at the discretion of the doctor, so yours must have not felt they were warrented, but agsain with no improvement to this point, it might be time.

If I were you I would discuss this with your chiropractor and if you are unhappy with his answers then it might be time to look else where.[B]

Hey again,

No I dont have pain down the leg, I think I got mixed up. I think he said exactly what you said. I felt the pain afterwards. He has some knowledge he said, he knows exactly what deadlifting is, explained some safety stuff with me too. I guess I can't say no improvement but it doesn't seem to be healing anymore, even after 6 treatments. He actually said after 6 treatments I could deadlift again :(

Thanks for the reply, I'll wait it out and perhaps try for an x-ray/mri.

scorpion
02-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Hi I hurt my back last june coming up from a deep squat. I felt a pull on my right side and was stiff for a couple of days, no real pain.

My right hamstring,glute and calf became v tight over the next few months with slight discomfort to lower right side of back.

I woke one moning in agony with pain in right lower outer calf and numbness in foot. Over the next month my glute and outter calf disappered, plus loss of strength.

My MRI showed;
"Moderate degenerative changes at L4-5 AND L5-S1 with dehydration and loss of disc height.

At L4-5, there is a right sided central and subarticular disc extrusion with caudally migrated fragment causing compression of the right traversing L5 root.

No significant foraminal narrowing. The conus medullaris is normal.

conclusion:

Moderate degenerative changes. Disc hernia at L4-5 causing compression of the right L5 root.

I have improved massively over the last couple of months i get very slight siatica ocasionally in calf. calf and glute have returned.
I started training legs again with light squats and lunges.

Do you think it will be possible for me to ever be able to squat and deadlift heavy again one day?....

What could i do help futher my recovery?....

Thanks craig

THUNDERGOD
02-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. I purchased an inversion table about 8 months ago and it seems to help, but that SI joint is locked up. I have also been using a foam roller lately trying loosen up those muscles. Every now and then I get the "pop" in the area and it feels good for a few days but it seems to come back...but it has been getting better.

JamesWebb
02-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Hey Doc how do you feel about the lumbar extender?

Dr. Mike Feulner
02-13-2009, 01:50 AM
Hi I hurt my back last june coming up from a deep squat. I felt a pull on my right side and was stiff for a couple of days, no real pain.

My right hamstring,glute and calf became v tight over the next few months with slight discomfort to lower right side of back.

I woke one moning in agony with pain in right lower outer calf and numbness in foot. Over the next month my glute and outter calf disappered, plus loss of strength.

My MRI showed;
"Moderate degenerative changes at L4-5 AND L5-S1 with dehydration and loss of disc height.

At L4-5, there is a right sided central and subarticular disc extrusion with caudally migrated fragment causing compression of the right traversing L5 root.

conclusion:

Moderate degenerative changes. Disc hernia at L4-5 causing compression of the right L5 root.

I have improved massively over the last couple of months i get very slight siatica ocasionally in calf. calf and glute have returned.

Do you think it will be possible for me to ever be able to squat and deadlift heavy again one day?....

Thanks craig

Hey Craig,

Yes, it will be able for you to squat and deadlift heavy again one day. The key to this will be the proper strengthening of the surrounding musculature; as well as, making sure the joints are moving as the should so there is an equal stress placed on the area. It seems you have already made tremendous progress. What have you been doing to get you to this point? Stretching and soft tissue work would also help to keep the area moving freely.

mts
02-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Hey Dr. Feulner,

I have trouble sitting and laying down for long periods of time (>1 Hour) I feel a pain right above my hip in my spine. If I move my leg or hip a certian way I feel a pop and the pain goes away but as soon as I move again I feel my hip or something slide and I get pain again.
I about 6'1 225 and I deadlift heavy 600+ pounds, I don't squat but the deadlifts seem not to hurt my lower back it actually feels better when I'm lifting heavy for awhile. Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance

Dr. Mike Feulner
02-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Hey Doc how do you feel about the lumbar extender?

I like the lumbar extender. It supports the lordotic curve of the lumbar spine while allowing you to stretch the surrounding paraspinal musculature. Many times when you lie down to stretch the paraspinals are activated to stabilalize the spine and core, making it nest to impossible to truly stretch this are out by yourself. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Dr. Mike Feulner
02-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the reply. I purchased an inversion table about 8 months ago and it seems to help, but that SI joint is locked up. I have also been using a foam roller lately trying loosen up those muscles. Every now and then I get the "pop" in the area and it feels good for a few days but it seems to come back...but it has been getting better.

That's great, but the reason it seems to come back is because you are not following a consistent treatment plan. This should not be a chronic problem but one that is properly treated and then should not be an issue. You need to find a chiropractor who can consistently get movement in that joint.

scorpion
02-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Hey Craig,

Yes, it will be able for you to squat and deadlift heavy again one day. The key to this will be the proper strengthening of the surrounding musculature; as well as, making sure the joints are moving as the should so there is an equal stress placed on the area. It seems you have already made tremendous progress. What have you been doing to get you to this point? Stretching and soft tissue work would also help to keep the area moving freely.

I started with some pilates type exercises every day to get my core working properly again. Once major pain eased I started light streching and the cross trainer, gradually increased by adding more weight training.

AFTazz06
02-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Hey Dr. Mike, i've been wanting to see a chiropractor for sometime now due to a sharp pain on my lower back, not crippling pain but sharp pains that sometimes dont let me sit comftibly on my couch. I dont know if it is due to lower back excercies or heavy leg pressing. Sometimes it feels like i might have a nerve pinched, the pain stays in my lower back region, never down to my legs or anywhere else. So my question is, i have never been to a chiro and dont know anybody that has been to one, what should i be looking for? i'm sure just as any other profession there are some that will lie and tell you all the "bad" things wrong with you just to suck your wallet dry. How do i know a good chiro from one who just wants the dough?

Dr. Mike Feulner
02-19-2009, 10:05 AM
Hey Dr. Feulner,

I have trouble sitting and laying down for long periods of time (>1 Hour) I feel a pain right above my hip in my spine. If I move my leg or hip a certian way I feel a pop and the pain goes away but as soon as I move again I feel my hip or something slide and I get pain again.
I about 6'1 225 and I deadlift heavy 600+ pounds, I don't squat but the deadlifts seem not to hurt my lower back it actually feels better when I'm lifting heavy for awhile. Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance

Hey mts,

Sounds like the issue is being caused or made worse by body position. The problem as you're describing it gets better with movement...heavy deadlifts. This helps to loosen up the surrounding musculature and then lets the joints move freely. Where you are describing the pain it sounds like you are possibly experiencing pain in the SI joints or L5-S1...either way you should get this situation checked out by a chiropractor that understands athletes and heavy training. To be honest, I was actually having a similar problem for a while and regular adjustments combined with soft tissue work helped tremendously. Also, I altered my deadlift form to drop my butt deeper in the hole forcing more movement in my hips on my lighter sets to really loosen up and lubricate the joints. Let me know what happens....

dvsness
02-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Dr Mike - your office info was in your signature and now it's gone; can you post that up again please?

mts
02-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks a bunch Dr Mike, Thats very informative, I'll go to a chiropractor tonight and get checked out and mention what you said

A.Carter
02-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Do you believe a chiropractor could lead to muscle growth?

Dr. Mike Feulner
02-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Hey Dr. Mike, i've been wanting to see a chiropractor for sometime now due to a sharp pain on my lower back, not crippling pain but sharp pains that sometimes dont let me sit comftibly on my couch. I dont know if it is due to lower back excercies or heavy leg pressing. Sometimes it feels like i might have a nerve pinched, the pain stays in my lower back region, never down to my legs or anywhere else. So my question is, i have never been to a chiro and dont know anybody that has been to one, what should i be looking for? i'm sure just as any other profession there are some that will lie and tell you all the "bad" things wrong with you just to suck your wallet dry. How do i know a good chiro from one who just wants the dough?

You can always look in your insurance directory, but that is a total crap shoot. Ask around the gym if anyone can recomend someone. You are corrrect that just like in any oither professin there are good and bad chiropractors so a referral from someone is always helpful.

mts
02-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Hey Doc, just an update I told my chiro you mentioned it could be L5-S1 and he knows about my weight training, he took a look pressing on S1 (i was fine) pressing on L5 (I yelled in pain) He adjusted me and gave me a message relieving the pain immediately, He told me it's really tight and will need to be readjusted a few times.

So thanks for the help!!

CodyKelly
02-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Hey Dr.Feulner,
I injured my lower back a few years back doing deadlifts, and my dr. said i had a couple bulging discs. Well he advised me to shed a few lbs. since i was 289lb at the time, well i shed 80 lbs and for the most part my back feels good. But the last two times ive done heavy rows and tbar rows, my lower back has went out. Once i could barely walk out of the gym, and pain was shooting down my leg, but luckily after a couple weeks of treatment it was back to par. Well my question is, are there ne excerises out there that will strengthen my lower back, so that someday i will be able to do deads, and rows so that my back will reach its full potential??? Thank you

PittOrthoDoc
02-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Hey Mike! How the heck are ya? I'm looking forward to the Arnold... I'm sure we can catch up back stage!

Dr. Mike Feulner
02-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Do you believe a chiropractor could lead to muscle growth?

Hey A,

Good question. Will chiropractic care by itself lead to muscle growth..like you're speaking of...no. Proper and consistent chiropractic care will help alleviate subluxations which will allow uninhibited nerve flow, start to let muscles move like they should and allow proper circulation to occur. All of this leads to more nutrition getting to the muscle, quicker and uninhibited nerve flow, greater recovery and not to mention proper biomechanical motion which in turn will...YES...lead to increased muscle growth. Just don't forget..your muscle will never grow unless you feed them correctly, nutrition is key!!!!

Dr. Mike Feulner
02-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Hey Doc, just an update I told my chiro you mentioned it could be L5-S1 and he knows about my weight training, he took a look pressing on S1 (i was fine) pressing on L5 (I yelled in pain) He adjusted me and gave me a message relieving the pain immediately, He told me it's really tight and will need to be readjusted a few times.

So thanks for the help!!

Glad I could help...let me know how it goes.

Dr. Mike Feulner
02-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Hey Mike! How the heck are ya? I'm looking forward to the Arnold... I'm sure we can catch up back stage!

Hey Vic,

The Arnold should be a blast...I am looking forward to catching up. I will see you back stage! Hope all is well.

evilive138
02-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Dr.

What are your thoughts on hanging from a chinup bar to stretch out the spine after back workouts?

I find i can really feel my spine stretching/relieving pressure when i do this.

Also. What are some other good preventative measures i can take? IE: stretches, etc after workouts?

Dr. Mike Feulner
02-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Hey Dr.Feulner,
I injured my lower back a few years back doing deadlifts, and my dr. said i had a couple bulging discs. Well he advised me to shed a few lbs. since i was 289lb at the time, well i shed 80 lbs and for the most part my back feels good. But the last two times ive done heavy rows and tbar rows, my lower back has went out. Once i could barely walk out of the gym, and pain was shooting down my leg, but luckily after a couple weeks of treatment it was back to par. Well my question is, are there ne excerises out there that will strengthen my lower back, so that someday i will be able to do deads, and rows so that my back will reach its full potential??? Thank you

Hey Cody,

The main thing you want to do is strengthen your core, not just your lower back. Bulging discs are not the end of the world! Pilates type exercise programs are great for this. Also, abdominal work (not just crunches but hitting things from different angles and ROM's) and hyperextensions (both using the Roman Chair and doing supermans) will be helpful. Also, proper stretching will help and fairly regular chiropractic adjustments will keep the vertebra around the discs moving and not applying uneven pressure causing pressure on the discs and exaccerbating the situation. From what you are explaining to me about your situation, if you follow my suggestions, your back will reach its full potential.

dvsness
02-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Dr Mike - your office info was in your signature and now it's gone; can you post that up again please?

^^^^^

Dr. Mike Feulner
02-25-2009, 04:20 PM
^^^^^

Hey dvsness,

I tried to post it again but it won't stick. It is 515 Madison Suite 1720, NY NY 10022 212-758-3939.

Dr. Mike Feulner
02-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Dr.

What are your thoughts on hanging from a chinup bar to stretch out the spine after back workouts?

I find i can really feel my spine stretching/relieving pressure when i do this.

Also. What are some other good preventative measures i can take? IE: stretches, etc after workouts?

Hey evilive138,

Hanging from a chin up bar is great but I get a greater stretch from using inversion boots or an inversion table. When you hang upside down it takes away the axial pressure and lets the spine distract. Any back and abdominal stretches will help, but if you have someone who can perform PNF or PFS on you that would even help more. ;

dvsness
02-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Hey dvsness,

I tried to post it again but it won't stick. It is 515 Madison Suite 1720, NY NY 10022 212-758-3939.

Cool; I made an appointment. See you Monday.

Dr. Mike Feulner
03-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Cool; I made an appointment. See you Monday.

Great...see you then!

BrandonBass
03-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Hey Dr. Mike, thanks for helping out on this forum. I had a question regarding A.R.T and elbow tendonitis. I have been battling this injury for about 6 months and just recently started working out very light. My elbow feels a little better but there's always a "clicking" feeling after straightening my arm then bending (not painful). Will the clicking ever go away? Been to 3 chiropractors for ART in the last 6 months......Thanks

Dr. Mike Feulner
03-11-2009, 12:38 AM
Hey Dr. Mike, thanks for helping out on this forum. I had a question regarding A.R.T and elbow tendonitis. I have been battling this injury for about 6 months and just recently started working out very light. My elbow feels a little better but there's always a "clicking" feeling after straightening my arm then bending (not painful). Will the clicking ever go away? Been to 3 chiropractors for ART in the last 6 months......Thanks

Hey Brandon,

I have to be honest, 6 months is a very long time to be battling tendonitis if it is being treated correctly. Why 3 chiros in 6 months? Did anyone adjust your elbow? This could help the clicking, which could be a tendon. Have your chiro check the elbow to see if it needs to be adjusted. Keep me posted.

Legend
03-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Hey Doc, To make a long story short;

I have a back injury from about about 8 years ago (L4-L5) I am a part of this industry because this is what I do for a living. So from all the years of training, even though I tried to train around the injury, it still got worse. Its come to the point that I have no other choice but to get surgery (I've tried everything else)

A buddy of mine named Nate Quarry (A UFC fighter) had a fusion of his L4 and L5. He had a muscle sparing surgery that alowed him to heal much quicker than the traditional slice the back open right down the middle procedure.

Are you familiar with any surgeon that you would feel comfortable recommending, that works with athletes and may preform this type of procedure.

Thanks!

BrandonBass
03-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Hey Brandon,

I have to be honest, 6 months is a very long time to be battling tendonitis if it is being treated correctly. Why 3 chiros in 6 months? Did anyone adjust your elbow? This could help the clicking, which could be a tendon. Have your chiro check the elbow to see if it needs to be adjusted. Keep me posted.

Hey Dr. Feulner,

I guess I got a little impatient with the first chiro, then after about 5 sessions with the 2nd chiro, I found out he wasn't a Certified A.R.T. practioner....now onto the third one. I will ask him about adjusting my elbow. I have had x-rays/mri on the elbow and nothing popped up other than the inflammation and a small bone spur. The ortho told me I shouldn't be concerned about the spur at all, but I don't know....

F.K.M.
03-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Not sure if this is outside your area of expertise. But recently I have been having difficulty in contracting my right pec, left inner tricep head, and left calf.

I can contract them, but during exercises, like say bench press my left pec is getting engorged with blood, but my right barely feels worked or during skull crushers, I find my right tricep getting more from the work than my left.

I'm doing more unilateral movements now, but I miss my heavy skull crushers and barbell presses.

Could this be a chiropractic issue? Or is this more of a neural issue. I had one lady tell me it was adrenal...but she kinda seemed like a crack pot.

What do you think?

Dr. Mike Feulner
03-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Hey Doc, To make a long story short;

I have a back injury from about about 8 years ago (L4-L5) I am a part of this industry because this is what I do for a living. So from all the years of training, even though I tried to train around the injury, it still got worse. Its come to the point that I have no other choice but to get surgery (I've tried everything else)

A buddy of mine named Nate Quarry (A UFC fighter) had a fusion of his L4 and L5. He had a muscle sparing surgery that alowed him to heal much quicker than the traditional slice the back open right down the middle procedure.

Are you familiar with any surgeon that you would feel comfortable recommending, that works with athletes and may preform this type of procedure.

Thanks!

Hey Legend,

What exactly is the injury you had 8 years ago? The type of surgery you need will determine the best options for you, it all depends what needs to be done. Are you looking for someone in the Columbus area to perform the surgery? When you initially injured yourself what type of treatment / rehab did you do? [/I]

Dr. Mike Feulner
03-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Not sure if this is outside your area of expertise. But recently I have been having difficulty in contracting my right pec, left inner tricep head, and left calf.

I can contract them, but during exercises, like say bench press my left pec is getting engorged with blood, but my right barely feels worked or during skull crushers, I find my right tricep getting more from the work than my left.

I'm doing more unilateral movements now, but I miss my heavy skull crushers and barbell presses.

Could this be a chiropractic issue? Or is this more of a neural issue. I had one lady tell me it was adrenal...but she kinda seemed like a crack pot.

What do you think?

Hey Adam,

It could be a chiropractic issue. If you have a subluxation; or several as may be your case, nerve flow to these muscle would be impeded and you would not get the contractions you want. In this case, at the very least, you should be adjusted. Now, you said you are doing unilateral work but you did not mention if the muscles in question are responding as they should when training this way. If they are then I would say you may want to address your form. Either way, you should be adjusted. Keep me posted

wolverine565
03-15-2009, 08:57 PM
I having 2 discs repaired in my neck. The doc said he was going to hook me up with a bone stimulator to speed up recovery. How does a bone stimulator work? Is there any thing else I can do to speed recovery?

dvsness
03-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Hope you had a great birthday, and thanks for all of your help. :)

Dr. Mike Feulner
03-21-2009, 02:50 PM
I having 2 discs repaired in my neck. The doc said he was going to hook me up with a bone stimulator to speed up recovery. How does a bone stimulator work? Is there any thing else I can do to speed recovery?

Hey wolverine,

So what you are telling me is the disc repair is actually a fusion of three vertabrea. The bone stimulator will help the bone generate new cells and heal quicker. Usually these are external, meaning that electrodes (just like in e-stim) are stuck on the area and power is from a small external pack that you control. Why do you have an issue with this, many docs use this procedure to help speed healing. Propoer supplementation will always help with the healing process. Keep me posted.

Dr. Mike Feulner
03-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Hope you had a great birthday, and thanks for all of your help. :)

Thanks alot, birthday was good! Some very nice surprises. It's been my pleasure to help.

wolverine565
03-23-2009, 03:30 PM
I don't have issue with it. I just was wondering the how it works, etc.

scorpion
03-24-2009, 04:27 PM

My MRI showed;

conclusion:

Thanks craig

Hi my back has improved loads since my injury I'm getting very slight sciatica now and again on the outter right calf (not painfull).

How long does it take for atrophied muscle to return as my outter calf and hamstring are still back up to par.

cheers craig

loomster2000
03-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Doc,

Thanks for your time in answering these questions.

I am experiencing pain just above my left elbow. I suspect I injured it doing heavy one-arm tricep cable pushdowns. Now, when I try to do pushdowns, I get shooting pain when I begin the movement (when my elbow is bent and the tricep is fully stretched in the non-contracted position). Also, there is a bit of uncomfortable pain to the touch, such as when I turn over in bed at night and press my elbow into the bed to turn over. Though not as painful, this is also affecting my other pressing movements I do when training chest and shoulders.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

redline777
03-26-2009, 08:12 PM
hi mike, i have a niggling elbow pain for 1 yr now. every time i'm doing seated dumbell curls or barbel curls, it comes up .how can i fix it>?

BigVanDiesel54
03-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Dr. Feulner i have had a couple of "minor" nagging pec strains over the last few years and they seem to be better for the most part, BUT sometimes they still seem chronically tight and like there is still adhesions/scar tissue in there. My question is besides obviously stretching all the time and warming up properly, what would be the best way to go? I have art therapy done on them about once a month...is there anything else besides ART that i can do? Thanks doc

Dr. Mike Feulner
03-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Dr. Feulner i have had a couple of "minor" nagging pec strains over the last few years and they seem to be better for the most part, BUT sometimes they still seem chronically tight and like there is still adhesions/scar tissue in there. My question is besides obviously stretching all the time and warming up properly, what would be the best way to go? I have art therapy done on them about once a month...is there anything else besides ART that i can do? Thanks doc

Hey Big,
Any time you have strains, tears, pulls, etc you develop scar tissue. While ART is helpful in breaking up adhesions, I have found NeuroMuscular Technique to be very effective in breaking up scar tissue. Obviously your results will depend upon the skill and proficiency of the provider. Also, fascial stretching as used by John Parrillo for years is very effective...you can learn more about it at www.parrillo.com. Whatever you decide to do you need to be consistent with it, breaking up scar tissue and creating increased flexibility is a cummulative process. Keep me posted.

Dr. Mike Feulner
03-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Hi my back has improved loads since my injury I'm getting very slight sciatica now and again on the outter right calf (not painfull).

How long does it take for atrophied muscle to return as my outter calf and hamstring are still back up to par.

cheers craig

Hey Craig,

Glad to hear you are making progress! I am sure you realize that building muscle takes some time and in a situation like this it will take some time for the muscle to return to it's prior level of development. It also depends on how much compression you might still be experiencing on the nerve root. Do not be discouraged and keep training as you do. Make sure you are eating and supplementing to support muscle growth. You might want to get some deep tissue work done on the effected areas to help stimulate those fibers. Keep me posted.

Dr. Mike Feulner
03-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Doc,

Thanks for your time in answering these questions.

I am experiencing pain just above my left elbow. I suspect I injured it doing heavy one-arm tricep cable pushdowns. Now, when I try to do pushdowns, I get shooting pain when I begin the movement (when my elbow is bent and the tricep is fully stretched in the non-contracted position). Also, there is a bit of uncomfortable pain to the touch, such as when I turn over in bed at night and press my elbow into the bed to turn over. Though not as painful, this is also affecting my other pressing movements I do when training chest and shoulders.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey Loomster,

From what you are describing it sound like you have a subluxation, most likely of the radial head. I actually see this quite a bit, all with the same symptoms you are describing. I suggest you find a good chiro and get this treated. The longer you wait the more your body will inhibit you normal biomechanical motion in an attempt to protect the area, thus creating other problems for you to deal with.

Dr. Mike Feulner
03-28-2009, 12:46 PM
[/B]
hi mike, i have a niggling elbow pain for 1 yr now. every time i'm doing seated dumbell curls or barbel curls, it comes up .how can i fix it>?

Hey Redline,
It sounds like you probably strained a muscle/tendon in the area some time ago and some scar tissue has resulted. Most likely your pain is centered in the Extensor Carpi Radialis Brevis and Longis. You should get some deep tissue work done on the effected area and possibly ART. That should start to loosen things up a bit for you.

Metroflexplano
03-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Can you provide a checklist of things to look for when picking a chiropractor?

captaincardio58
03-30-2009, 07:39 PM
On the other boards (md) Dave posted one time that below parallel squats are indeed safer for the joint then parallel or above, whats your opinion?? I love ass to the grass squats the stimulation is great the weights are not high but effective, are there any dangers to your spine going this low??

redline777
03-31-2009, 10:30 AM
[/b]

Hey Redline,
It sounds like you probably strained a muscle/tendon in the area some time ago and some scar tissue has resulted. Most likely your pain is centered in the Extensor Carpi Radialis Brevis and Longis. You should get some deep tissue work done on the effected area and possibly ART. That should start to loosen things up a bit for you.

thank you, much appreciated!

dvsness
04-01-2009, 01:28 PM
You back in town?

Dr. Mike Feulner
04-02-2009, 11:51 PM
You back in town?

Yes I am.

Dr. Mike Feulner
04-03-2009, 12:00 AM
On the other boards (md) Dave posted one time that below parallel squats are indeed safer for the joint then parallel or above, whats your opinion?? I love ass to the grass squats the stimulation is great the weights are not high but effective, are there any dangers to your spine going this low??

Hey Captain,

I agree with Dave! Assuming proper form, the dangers to the spine come not in the depth of the squat but in the form displayed while performing the squat. We could turn this into a forum on proper sqaut form but since you are asking this question I have to assume you already understand what this is. Make sure you are balanced and even. Core strength goes a long way in adding to spinal stabilization while squating. So squat deep and squat heavy!

Dr. Mike Feulner
04-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Can you provide a checklist of things to look for when picking a chiropractor?

Hey Metroflexplano,

The biggest thing I look for in any doctor is the feeling of trust and confidence when I first meet him/her. If I don't have a good feeling about them that is my first and last visit. It also helps if they come recommended, this way you already have an idea of what they are like. You want to make sure they are "qualified" to work with you on your specific issues. This is very true in choosing the right chiro. If you are an athlete, especially one that is bigger than average, not all chiros will have a clue as to how to handle you or the specific injuries and issues we incur in the gym. Again, this is where a refereal comes in handy...if you have people from the gym who see this doc and they are happy with their work, give them a chance. As athletes we are a unique breed and it takes someone who appreciates what we do to be able to treat us correctly and keep us training.

jkmatthews
04-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Dr. Fuelner I'm am planning on going to Chiropractic school when I graduate college. Where did you go and do you have any advice? By the way I am currently looking at Cleveland College of Chiropractics in Los Angeles and Life University in Marietta, Georgia.

Larry C
04-07-2009, 08:00 AM
I've had problems with my lower back since I was 15, I'm now 21 so it's been annoying me for about 6 years. I've been to 2 chiropractors, 3 physios, a masseuse and chinese healer. Of all those I found the best results with the tretment from the chiropractors but the pain always seemed to return and I can't afford the treatments right now. I went to a consultant in a hospital yesterday and he said he believs it to be a muscular problem and that in a month I'll be getting 3 anasthetic injections daily in my back to allow my muscles to relax and to promote recovery. I'm to give up lifting weights and exercise for 3 months.

Would you agree with this advice?

I get pains on the right side of my lower back near the base of the right erector. It can move to the left side. I did martial arts for 7 years but had to give up because of this but I'm still pretty flexible when bending forward. It hurts to bend backward and if I lift heavy weights. If I do anything needing endurance it'll just hurt.

dvsness
04-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Check your PMs!

Dr. Mike Feulner
04-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Check your PMs!

Just did...thx

Dr. Mike Feulner
04-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Dr. Fuelner I'm am planning on going to Chiropractic school when I graduate college. Where did you go and do you have any advice? By the way I am currently looking at Cleveland College of Chiropractics in Los Angeles and Life University in Marietta, Georgia.

Hey JK,

I went to the Univ Of Bridgeport College of Chiropractic. There are several good schools out there, it all depends on what you are looking for. UB was based more on a medical model which I preferred. Do you want more of a college environment, the Life is a good choice. Are you looking at climate...Life West or Cleveland. The biggest thing is that you are going to be happy where you are, the education is what you make of it, how much you get involved. Honestly, UB suited my needs but I wouldn't have minded being on the west coast for a few years. Let me know what you decide.

Dr. Mike Feulner
04-15-2009, 11:11 PM
I've had problems with my lower back since I was 15, I'm now 21 so it's been annoying me for about 6 years. I've been to 2 chiropractors, 3 physios, a masseuse and chinese healer. Of all those I found the best results with the tretment from the chiropractors but the pain always seemed to return and I can't afford the treatments right now. I went to a consultant in a hospital yesterday and he said he believs it to be a muscular problem and that in a month I'll be getting 3 anasthetic injections daily in my back to allow my muscles to relax and to promote recovery. I'm to give up lifting weights and exercise for 3 months.

Would you agree with this advice?

I get pains on the right side of my lower back near the base of the right erector. It can move to the left side. I did martial arts for 7 years but had to give up because of this but I'm still pretty flexible when bending forward. It hurts to bend backward and if I lift heavy weights. If I do anything needing endurance it'll just hurt.

Hey Larry,

Have you had any imaging done, if so, what were the results. From what you are describing it doesn't sound like anasthetic injections and no lifting will be the best option. Get some imaging done and let me know what the results are and I can better advise you.

Diabetic Muscle
04-18-2009, 10:15 AM
I have extreme tightness in my lower back any time they see heavy use; squats, deadlifts, barbell rows. Basically anytime there is tension on my lower back it gets so tight I have trouble walking. At first I just thought it was a weakness that was causing it but, I am never sore the next day. Often it disappears by the end of the workout. Example the other day I did squats and then leg press. By the time I finished my second set on the leg press the tightness and pain were gone. I see a chiropractor now for one side of my hip is higher than the other. Any help would be greatly appcreciated.

Jay
04-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Dr. Feulner earlier today when I was doing pulldowns I

bigjayfan
04-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Hey it seems my rib cage is twisted and allows one side of my bod left side puts it in way better postion for getting a contraction of the chest .while the other has no stretch in it. I am working with somebody now into biomechanics and working on my trunk.is there anything i can do

Cogrick2
04-25-2009, 02:17 PM
I have extreme tightness in my lower back any time they see heavy use; squats, deadlifts, barbell rows. Basically anytime there is tension on my lower back it gets so tight I have trouble walking. At first I just thought it was a weakness that was causing it but, I am never sore the next day. Often it disappears by the end of the workout. Example the other day I did squats and then leg press. By the time I finished my second set on the leg press the tightness and pain were gone. I see a chiropractor now for one side of my hip is higher than the other. Any help would be greatly appcreciated.

We have similar problems. I recently began visiting a chiropractor for adjustments because one side of my hip is higher than the other, which I did not know until the chiro's investigation. After performing heavy squats and deadlifts, I experience pain and a mix of tingling and numbness on my right side, lower body the next day, and maybe some hours later. D

DM, do you feel a little pain when you tap firmly underneath the protruding bone at the inside of your ankle? I do and wonder if it is related since this is true for my right ankle. It's as if something is compressing my nerve.

Thank you in advance, Dr. Feulner, if you choose to provide some thoughts. I stopped doing squats because of this problem and would love to return to doing them. I am also training for a track competition next month and want to do it healthily.

Metroflexplano
04-25-2009, 04:54 PM
We have similar problems. I recently began visiting a chiropractor for adjustments because one side of my hip is higher than the other, which I did not know until the chiro's investigation. After performing heavy squats and deadlifts, I experience pain and a mix of tingling and numbness on my right side, lower body the next day, and maybe some hours later. D

DM, do you feel a little pain when you tap firmly underneath the protruding bone at the inside of your ankle? I do and wonder if it is related since this is true for my right ankle. It's as if something is compressing my nerve.

Thank you in advance, Dr. Feulner, if you choose to provide some thoughts. I stopped doing squats because of this problem and would love to return to doing them. I am also training for a track competition next month and want to do it healthily.

Join the club!!

I was also told that my hips were off balance too, and after a couple sessions with the chiro and a week off I felt like a million bucks, but one set of bent over row and the pain came right back.

I would be interested in your opinion as well, thanks in advacne

bigjayfan
04-25-2009, 07:28 PM
just want to add ..that on that side of the pec no stretch whatsoeva hard to stimulate and my shoulder is way more forward..i need help i have been doing everything

Diabetic Muscle
04-27-2009, 08:21 AM

No, the only pain I seem to have is just the low back.

STRENGTH-TRAINING
04-29-2009, 06:57 PM
hi
i heard deep squats are a more natural position for the knee joint than stopping at parallel, as long as the knee joint is not relaxed at the bottom, what do you say.
thanks, i notice when i warm properly in deep squat my knees are good, but half squat cause the knee to stop too early.
thanks

Dr. Mike Feulner
05-02-2009, 01:28 AM

Hey DB,

It sounds like the pain you are feeling is a result of the imbalance in your hips. As you start to work out the imbalance creates tension in the low back and SI joint, but as you move throught the musculature starts to loosen up and you experience relief. Stick with your current plan and continue to get adjusted regularly. You might want to ask your chiro if he can send you home with a TENS unit and you can use it before your workout to help loosen up the lowback and possibly not have to go through the pain. Let me know how it goes.

Dr. Mike Feulner
05-02-2009, 01:30 AM
Hey it seems my rib cage is twisted and allows one side of my bod left side puts it in way better postion for getting a contraction of the chest .while the other has no stretch in it. I am working with somebody now into biomechanics and working on my trunk.is there anything i can do

Hey Jay,

I need some more detail...why is it twisted, has it always been this way, were you injured, how long has it been this way...etc. Fill me in.

Dr. Mike Feulner
05-02-2009, 01:35 AM

Hey Cogrick,

What event are you training for? Rotation and an imbalance in your hips will put you in a position to have radicular pain into the leg. The tapping under your medial malleolus is fairly normal in people. How severe is the pain. If the adjustments do not produce results let me know. As you relieve the torque and tension in the pelvis and the soft tissue releases you should start to experience relief.

Dr. Mike Feulner
05-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Join the club!!

I was also told that my hips were off balance too, and after a couple sessions with the chiro and a week off I felt like a million bucks, but one set of bent over row and the pain came right back.

I would be interested in your opinion as well, thanks in advacne

Chiropractic is not a quick fix. The chiro is...in simple terms adjusting a bone out of place. If you continue to put the stress on the joint that caused the problem without strengthening the area it will just happen again. When your body senses an injury it moves to protect the area. You can still train, just continue to get adjusted and consider getting soft tissue work done as well.

Dr. Mike Feulner
05-02-2009, 01:42 AM
hi
i heard deep squats are a more natural position for the knee joint than stopping at parallel, as long as the knee joint is not relaxed at the bottom, what do you say.
thanks, i notice when i warm properly in deep squat my knees are good, but half squat cause the knee to stop too early.
thanks

This seems to be a fairly popular question. I am a big fan of deep squats as log as they are done with proper form and in control. It is natural for your body to be able to squat that low. If you really want to develope big thick legs you need to squat deep!!!

redline777
05-02-2009, 12:47 PM
hi mike, i've been to see an ART specialists about my problem elbow. but its still giving me a nagging problem..its not major but just niggling when i do dumbel curls or lock out..what should i do?

Cogrick2
05-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Hey Cogrick,

What event are you training for? Rotation and an imbalance in your hips will put you in a position to have radicular pain into the leg. The tapping under your medial malleolus is fairly normal in people. How severe is the pain. If the adjustments do not produce results let me know. As you relieve the torque and tension in the pelvis and the soft tissue releases you should start to experience relief.

Thank you for responding, doctor.

I am training for a regional sports competition between corporations, and especially a number of track sprints. The chiropractor told me to avoid high-impact exercise for two weeks when i began seeing him about a week ago, so I have done so (except for one fateful basketball game that caused a two-day flare-up).

The pain when I tap under and around the medial malleolus is minor right now. The pain is significantly greater when I have a larger flare-up (such as after a heavy deadlift day, which I have set aside for some weeks).

I am happy to hear the pain around the medial malleolus is fairly normal and that working with the chiropractor should cause relief by your estimation! :)

bigjayfan
05-03-2009, 03:11 PM
hey thanksw for the reply. I have a little curve in my spine .So i think it started when i was 17ish..i am 21 and i love bodybuilding..and i am a persona;l trainer aswell..but the right side pec just does not contract right like my left side.I will do whatever i gotta do thanks

bigjayfan
05-03-2009, 11:55 PM
u can feel the rib cage stick out a little more on the left side. while the right side has no stretch in the pec and the shoulder is rolled forward on that side. The only injury i can think of was my roator cuff used to bug me

redline777
05-06-2009, 12:43 PM
[/b]

Hey Redline,

great...will get that done, thank you!

BrandonBass
05-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Another reason why I wish I lived in New York; I could go see the best chiropractor! Thanks Mike for all your help on the board! All of us injured folk appreciate it.

BigBilly
05-17-2009, 01:18 AM
I think i have a back issue. can i email you photos please?

redline777
05-23-2009, 02:56 PM
i thought deep tissue therapy and art re the same. my elbows are reallly annying me, how many treatments will art take? how many can i do in 1 week?

the_gift
05-28-2009, 01:26 AM
Hey Dr Mike.

Okay I have two problems.

When I am working out I am feeling tingling, (lately extreme tingling) in my left tricep when im squeezing the muscle.. My left tricep is SMALLER and less developed than the other.

My other problem is numbness sometimes, slight pain, tingling in my right forearm starting from my pinky/ring finger up through my hand and a few inches up on the palm side..

I have an l4-l5 herniation, and I had bad neck pains a few years ago (still have neck pains not extreme though)..

IS this something the chiropracter here (he is also an ART guy) can help me with?

fatbackgoal
06-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Dr. Mike,

Thanks for the great info. I have just decided to add massage and chiro into my workout routine and wanted to know your recommendations for number of visits per month barring injury?

Thanks!!

Dr. Mike Feulner
06-25-2009, 09:13 PM
I think i have a back issue. can i email you photos please?

Sorry for the delay...it's show season and i have been a little insane!!!!! Send pics...I'll take a look

Dr. Mike Feulner
06-25-2009, 09:15 PM
i thought deep tissue therapy and art re the same. my elbows are reallly annying me, how many treatments will art take? how many can i do in 1 week?

ART is a form of deep tissue to a degree, but it is definitely not the same as massage which is what you might be thinking. The number of visits would be up to your doctor depending on your progress and situation.

Dr. Mike Feulner
06-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Hey Dr Mike.

Okay I have two problems.

When I am working out I am feeling tingling, (lately extreme tingling) in my left tricep when im squeezing the muscle.. My left tricep is SMALLER and less developed than the other.

My other problem is numbness sometimes, slight pain, tingling in my right forearm starting from my pinky/ring finger up through my hand and a few inches up on the palm side..

I have an l4-l5 herniation, and I had bad neck pains a few years ago (still have neck pains not extreme though)..

IS this something the chiropracter here (he is also an ART guy) can help me with?

To answer your question..YES, this is something a chiropractor can help you with. Your L4-L5 disc herniation is not causing your arm issues. Let your chiro evaluate you for the best course of action.

Dr. Mike Feulner
06-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Dr. Mike,

Thanks for the great info. I have just decided to add massage and chiro into my workout routine and wanted to know your recommendations for number of visits per month barring injury?

Thanks!!

Hey Fat Back Goal,
Great idea to add chiro and massage to your routine. If you don not have a specific injury or issue you are treating once a week for both would be great. I get adjusted several times a week and get deep tissue work done twicw a week and I feel this has helped me a great deal with not only recovery but injury prevention and growth as well.

cbower420
06-26-2009, 01:28 AM
I have herniated discs in l4, l5, and s1. I have had an epidural by an orthopedic surgeon about 2 months ago. It mainly hurts when I sit down. Driving can be unbearable. The pain is in my glute. The lateral head of my calf muscle has not been working right for over a year, and the orthopedic surgeon isnt concerned with treating it. He just wants to do another epidural. I can't do a calf raise and the lateral head looks and feels like its not contracting. Is this from a pinched nerve, and can it be fixed? I want the use of my calf back again, and i want this pain in my ass to go away for good! Can a chiropractor do the trick, and would you recommend anything else such as stretches, art therapy, etc. Thanks

mdn636
06-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Dr. Feulner,
I just had fusion of the C6-C7 as a result of a pinched nerve which caused my left tricep, pectoral and lat to stop contracting. How long before the muscle should begin to contract again? I have had a severe loss of strength. If the muscles will never contract again, how can I work around that? Thanks.

DannyG
06-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Hi Dr. Feulner I was wondering if you've ever heard of a device called "Back 2 Life"? Been seeing it a lot on TV commercials but not sure if it's legit. Here is a link to the website please let me know what you think. Thanks.
http://www.getback2life.com/

DaEagles
07-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Have been having a tight neck for quite some time now. The muscles on both side of my neck seem to be extremely tight and only way to relieve the pain, which is temp. is kind of crack my neck.

Dr. Mike Feulner
07-10-2009, 07:12 PM
I have herniated discs in l4, l5, and s1. I have had an epidural by an orthopedic surgeon about 2 months ago. It mainly hurts when I sit down. Driving can be unbearable. The pain is in my glute. The lateral head of my calf muscle has not been working right for over a year, and the orthopedic surgeon isnt concerned with treating it. He just wants to do another epidural. I can't do a calf raise and the lateral head looks and feels like its not contracting. Is this from a pinched nerve, and can it be fixed? I want the use of my calf back again, and i want this pain in my ass to go away for good! Can a chiropractor do the trick, and would you recommend anything else such as stretches, art therapy, etc. Thanks

[B]Hey cbower,
It sounds like there is definitely some impingement on a nerve...a pinched nerve. Chiropractic adjustments can help...it depends if there is anything else going on. How did the injury occur? To put it simply...if there are no other issues, i.e. muscle tears, then taking the pressure off the nerve will help restore the function to your calf.

Dr. Mike Feulner
07-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Dr. Feulner,
I just had fusion of the C6-C7 as a result of a pinched nerve which caused my left tricep, pectoral and lat to stop contracting. How long before the muscle should begin to contract again? I have had a severe loss of strength. If the muscles will never contract again, how can I work around that? Thanks.

You can work around it but it depends on the extent of the nerve damage as to whether you get full use back. Did the surgeon explain how your particular fusion will effect the nerve exiting that area of the cervical spine?

Dr. Mike Feulner
07-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Have been having a tight neck for quite some time now. The muscles on both side of my neck seem to be extremely tight and only way to relieve the pain, which is temp. is kind of crack my neck.

Sounds like you need to be adjusted!!! Vertebrae out of place will cause the surrounding muscles to spasm or contract as the body attempts to stabilize the area. Go see your chiro, who actually has been trained in the right way to adjust you. I won't get into the lecture on why "cracking" your own neck is potentially very dangerous.

Dr. Mike Feulner
07-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Hi Dr. Feulner I was wondering if you've ever heard of a device called "Back 2 Life"? Been seeing it a lot on TV commercials but not sure if it's legit. Here is a link to the website please let me know what you think. Thanks.
http://www.getback2life.com/

Yes I have heard of it. I know a few people who got it and they claim it helps. It all depends on what is causing your back pain. If you decide to get it, let me know what you think. Thanks

DaEagles
07-13-2009, 03:17 AM
Sounds like you need to be adjusted!!! Vertebrae out of place will cause the surrounding muscles to spasm or contract as the body attempts to stabilize the area. Go see your chiro, who actually has been trained in the right way to adjust you. I won't get into the lecture on why "cracking" your own neck is potentially very dangerous.

Thanks, overseas right now in the military and they dont have one overhere, so have to wait 3 more months. Then going to the virginia beach area, do you know of any good chiro's out there

GrayBull
07-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Yo Dr. Mike!

So I have a neck issue that just happened two nights ago (Monday the 13th).

I was doing my last warmup set on BB incline press (225lbs) and when I went to rack it I looked up for some reason to make sure it was being racked and that's when it happened. When I got up my neck was quite stiff already. I tried stretching already and continued my workout on all machines. Afterwards I start really stiffening up and into the next day. Well today a lot of the stiffness has subsided, BUT i still can't LOOK UP without feeling pain/weakness in my neck (right around/in the spine). All other movements are getting more flexible and less pain, but looking up hasn't changed.

Any thoughts?

DannyG
07-16-2009, 06:25 AM
Yes I have heard of it. I know a few people who got it and they claim it helps. It all depends on what is causing your back pain. If you decide to get it, let me know what you think. Thanks

Thanks Dr. Feulner and I will post results if I ever decide to get it.

darb1
08-06-2009, 02:25 PM
I visited my general practitioner about 3 weeks ago because I have some neck pain and weakness in my right tricep, chest and lat. My GP diagnosed me with a nerve impingement and told me to take 10 to 14 days off. I took the time off but the problem has not improved, so I am going to see an orthopedic surgeon on the 19th of August.

I think I have a nerve impingement to the right brachial plexus, it is causing significant loss of strength to my right tricep and pec, as well as some neck pain. I am unable to get a pump while working out and cannot flex the affected muscles.

I am going to ask for an MRI and EMG, should I be seeing a neurologist or chiropractor to address this injury?

Pearce
08-24-2009, 03:47 PM
DR MIKE!

ive been trying to battle sciatica on and off for 4 and a half year but im now face to face with the worst bout ive had so far.. does anyopne have any advice?

i got attacked by fuckin huskie and as i jumped back to defend myself a ifelt my back and leg light up..

ive done the exercises.. im taking anti inflammatories and muscle relaxants.. is there anything else i can do?

Dr. Mike Feulner
10-26-2009, 12:09 PM
I think i have a back issue. can i email you photos please?[B]Hey Big Billy...sure, send them

Dr. Mike Feulner
10-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Yo Dr. Mike!

So I have a neck issue that just happened two nights ago (Monday the 13th).

I was doing my last warmup set on BB incline press (225lbs) and when I went to rack it I looked up for some reason to make sure it was being racked and that's when it happened. When I got up my neck was quite stiff already. I tried stretching already and continued my workout on all machines. Afterwards I start really stiffening up and into the next day. Well today a lot of the stiffness has subsided, BUT i still can't LOOK UP without feeling pain/weakness in my neck (right around/in the spine). All other movements are getting more flexible and less pain, but looking up hasn't changed.

Any thoughts?

sorry I haven't been here in a while...busy season with all the shows and athletes. Has your neck improved?

Dr. Mike Feulner
10-26-2009, 12:14 PM
I visited my general practitioner about 3 weeks ago because I have some neck pain and weakness in my right tricep, chest and lat. My GP diagnosed me with a nerve impingement and told me to take 10 to 14 days off. I took the time off but the problem has not improved, so I am going to see an orthopedic surgeon on the 19th of August.

I think I have a nerve impingement to the right brachial plexus, it is causing significant loss of strength to my right tricep and pec, as well as some neck pain. I am unable to get a pump while working out and cannot flex the affected muscles.

I am going to ask for an MRI and EMG, should I be seeing a neurologist or chiropractor to address this injury?
Hey Darb1,

How is the problem now...after the ortho told you about having an impingement and imaging was done you should have seen a chiropractor.

Dr. Mike Feulner
10-26-2009, 12:21 PM
DR MIKE!

ive been trying to battle sciatica on and off for 4 and a half year but im now face to face with the worst bout ive had so far.. does anyopne have any advice?

i got attacked by fuckin huskie and as i jumped back to defend myself a ifelt my back and leg light up..

ive done the exercises.. im taking anti inflammatories and muscle relaxants.. is there anything else i can do?

Four and a half years is too long to be battling any one problem. Think about it...if you had a sore throat for four and a half years....well...that would be insane! Get to a good chiro who understands sports and weight training and have him adjust you.

liftheavy
11-28-2009, 03:54 PM
I have a history of my pelvis becoming twisted/mis-aligned. This is happens either following a specific event (once I just sneezed whilst reaching for something) or over a period time. When this has happened in the gym, its always been whilst lifting light weights (i.e. warm up) and not when going heavy. If it moves out of alignment suddenly it causes really bad lower back pain, almost to the point I have trouble walking.

My Chiropractor does a good job of fixing it when the issue occurs. When I do have a problem, this generally keeps me out of the gym for several weeks whilst the muscles in my lower back heal. In order to reduce the frequency of this issue re-occurring I have had to stop doing squats and dead-lifts as I found these two lifts caused me issues more than anything else.

I'd really like to get back to squatting and dead lifting, however, to date I haven't found anything that seems to assist from a preventative point of view.

Is there anything you can suggest that would stabilize/strengthen the area to the point where I may be able to squat or dead lift again ?

I'm based in the UK, aged 37, been training approx 10 years, currently 187 lbs and approx 13% BF.

Dr. Mike Feulner
11-28-2009, 11:49 PM
I have a history of my pelvis becoming twisted/mis-aligned. This is happens either following a specific event (once I just sneezed whilst reaching for something) or over a period time. When this has happened in the gym, its always been whilst lifting light weights (i.e. warm up) and not when going heavy. If it moves out of alignment suddenly it causes really bad lower back pain, almost to the point I have trouble walking.

My Chiropractor does a good job of fixing it when the issue occurs. When I do have a problem, this generally keeps me out of the gym for several weeks whilst the muscles in my lower back heal. In order to reduce the frequency of this issue re-occurring I have had to stop doing squats and dead-lifts as I found these two lifts caused me issues more than anything else.

I'd really like to get back to squatting and dead lifting, however, to date I haven't found anything that seems to assist from a preventative point of view.

Is there anything you can suggest that would stabilize/strengthen the area to the point where I may be able to squat or dead lift again ?

I'm based in the UK, aged 37, been training approx 10 years, currently 187 lbs and approx 13% BF.

I assume your chiropractor has performed a complete exam with x-rays and any other necessary imaging/testing. With that being said and going on what you have told me I would suggest getting orthotics for your shoes...both workout and dress. When you have a problem that occurs with that much frequency where you do a postural imbalance can be the culprit. You might also want to consider doing some core strengthening like pilates to offer structural support. Give these things a shot and let me know how it goes.

liftheavy
11-29-2009, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. My chiropractor did complete a full exam but in the UK they don't generally have access to x-rays. You would have to get referred on the local hospital.

I'll look into the orthotics, plus some form of core strengthening and see how it goes. Thanks again for the advice.

Northman
11-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Hey Doc, question for ya.

Sometimes it feels like someone is pushing on my lower back, like pushing it towards my stomach. It's not a unbearable pain at all.

Maybe I just need to be re adjusted? I've never been to a chiro ever and I have been a weight lifter for years and worked on the farm in my teenage years, now 26.

It's just when ever I train my lower back it pumps up so damn fast, it's like annoying. I do rack deads up to 600lbs as of late, so the strength is there, I know this much.

I also have been told I have a little scoliosis as well.

GameofInches
12-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Doc,

I just started getting a pinching pain (almost like a small needle sticking you) in the very top of my right knee and just below my quad muscle. It does not hurt when I stand up, squat down, etc. It only hurts when my knee fully extends (like when flexing your quad). I feel it hurt sometimes when my knee fully extends when walking, but if I continually keep my knee from bending when walking, then there is no pain.

What could it be? Should I be concerned about training heavy with it, or is it just some stupid fluke thing? Thanks a lot in advance for the help!

Dr. Mike Feulner
12-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Hey Doc, question for ya.

Sometimes it feels like someone is pushing on my lower back, like pushing it towards my stomach. It's not a unbearable pain at all.

Maybe I just need to be re adjusted? I've never been to a chiro ever and I have been a weight lifter for years and worked on the farm in my teenage years, now 26.

It's just when ever I train my lower back it pumps up so damn fast, it's like annoying. I do rack deads up to 600lbs as of late, so the strength is there, I know this much.

I also have been told I have a little scoliosis as well.

An adjustment would definitely help. It sounds like your lower back is going in to spasm and it could be because the of the lack of motion in your pelvis and lumbar spine. Freeing this up could go a long way in alleviating your problem. Make an appointment to see your chiropractor and keep me posted.

Dr. Mike Feulner
12-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Doc,

I just started getting a pinching pain (almost like a small needle sticking you) in the very top of my right knee and just below my quad muscle. It does not hurt when I stand up, squat down, etc. It only hurts when my knee fully extends (like when flexing your quad). I feel it hurt sometimes when my knee fully extends when walking, but if I continually keep my knee from bending when walking, then there is no pain.

What could it be? Should I be concerned about training heavy with it, or is it just some stupid fluke thing? Thanks a lot in advance for the help!

It sounds like you have some irritation under your patella, possible because it is not "floating" freely like it should. When you tighten the quads and with that the patella tendon it is compresing the patella down and you are getting pain. I would get it looked at by a chiropractor who understands training. Although issues like this usually resolve themselves, it is best to get it checked out since you are training heavy and putting a considerable stress on it. Let me know how it turns out.

redline777
12-07-2009, 04:53 AM
i've got pain in my left bicep( maybe torn tissues) that runs down to my wrist but its decreased now alot...in 2 weeks i'm heading back to a nearby ART therapists but only for 10days. how many treatments can i maximally squeeze in to help alleviate the problem. also, do u recoomend anything else i can do?

Dr. Mike Feulner
12-07-2009, 11:08 PM
i've got pain in my left bicep( maybe torn tissues) that runs down to my wrist but its decreased now alot...in 2 weeks i'm heading back to a nearby ART therapists but only for 10days. how many treatments can i maximally squeeze in to help alleviate the problem. also, do u recoomend anything else i can do?

If the problem is getting better it is probably not torn tissue. Was there any discoloration? Did it feel like you tore something at the time of injury or do you even recall hurting it? One thing I always look at with an issue like this is the bicep tendon and if it is displaced...if so a simple adjustment can correct this. If it is a situation that ART can help it will be up to the provider and your body as to how frequently he can treat you. Did you lose any strength or functional movement in the injured arm? If so, I would also look at the AC joint and/or the SC joint. When either of these two joints are subluxated the shoulder can lose its mechanical advantage and can cause a number of problems, like what you are describing. Keep me posted.

47ronin
12-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Dr. Mike,
I found a PhysioTec brand ULTRASOUND THERAPY MACHINE 5 MHz UNIT available for purchase on-line. What's your opinion on using this device as part of a shoulder rehab program for a torn rotator cuff. Is 5 MHz the strongest unit available? Is there a specific brand/model that you recommend? Thanks for your time.

Dr. Mike Feulner
12-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Dr. Mike,
I found a PhysioTec brand ULTRASOUND THERAPY MACHINE 5 MHz UNIT available for purchase on-line. What's your opinion on using this device as part of a shoulder rehab program for a torn rotator cuff. Is 5 MHz the strongest unit available? Is there a specific brand/model that you recommend? Thanks for your time.

Most "take home" units are not as strong as anything you will use at your doctor or therapist's office. They do this so you do not hurt yourself. The unit you are looking at will not make a big difference in your recovery. I wouldn't really recommend a portable ultrasound. Make sure they are using it at your therapy appointments.

tornquad2
01-05-2010, 11:25 AM
i think my floater rib is out of alignment,i was doing seated front presses with no back support and tried to catch my balance at the top of the movement and started to fall back i recovered but pulled my left side abs and oblique could the pain radiate down into my oblique till am adjusted its been 3 weeks

Larry C
01-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Hey Larry,

Have you had any imaging done, if so, what were the results. From what you are describing it doesn't sound like anasthetic injections and no lifting will be the best option. Get some imaging done and let me know what the results are and I can better advise you.
I've since found out that I have an extra joint in a vertebrae in the lumbar region, I think they called it a transitional vertebrae. I was given injections into the muscles firstly, after those didn't work i was given injections into the nerves to test which are causing the pain. I will have a consultation with the surgeon at the end of this month to assess whether I will need lazer treatment to destroy the nerves.

Dr. Mike Feulner
01-05-2010, 06:29 PM
QUOTE=tornquad2;782994]i think my floater rib is out of alignment,i was doing seated front presses with no back support and tried to catch my balance at the top of the movement and started to fall back i recovered but pulled my left side abs and oblique could the pain radiate down into my oblique till am adjusted its been 3 weeks[/QUOTE]

YES! Get looked at and get adjusted. You have 3 "floating "ribs...10, 11, 12, If one or all are not articulating properly with the vertebrae the attach to it will effect the surrounding soft tissue. In situations like this it is best not to wait but get checked asap so you do not make the situation worse and suffer like this. Keep me posted.[

JG1
01-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Hello Dr Feulner,

I've been dealing with shoulder pain for the last year with it becoming progressively worse as of late. I'm also getting a lot of sticking/cracking/popping of the humeral head when I externally rotate the humerus.

I had an arthrogram done last week and this is the report.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/JG1inNJ/Scan.jpg?t=1263950077

Am I looking at any kind of surgery?

kylemass
03-01-2010, 02:39 AM
Hello Dr Feulner!

Im a senior student majoring in product design, and Im focusing on a product to prevent injuries. I have a few questions i would like you to answer as a professional.

Thank you in advance for your time.

1. In your profession, what is the most commonly injured body-part during exercise? What caused the injury?

2. Are weight-lifters prone to wrist injuries during exercise?

3. What do knee wraps and elbow wraps prevent?

Thank you.

JamesWebb
03-02-2010, 11:29 PM
I would like to know the chiropractors veiw on this video, posted about half way down the page. http://www.ah.ouhsc.edu/rehab/continuing_education.asp personally I have used chiropractic with mixed feelings and am having second thoughts about continuing to shell out money to fix lower back pain that has not been reduced and even increased at times.

STRENGTH-TRAINING
04-17-2010, 01:40 PM
hi dr
my should has been bothering me for a while, it hurts right on the joint, it gets better some times, stretching the front delt and pecs seem to provide some relief, could this be more of a muscle unbalance.
thanks

Dr. Mike Feulner
04-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Hello Dr Feulner,

I've been dealing with shoulder pain for the last year with it becoming progressively worse as of late. I'm also getting a lot of sticking/cracking/popping of the humeral head when I externally rotate the humerus.

I had an arthrogram done last week and this is the report.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/JG1inNJ/Scan.jpg?t=1263950077

Am I looking at any kind of surgery?

It depends on the level of calcification and what is going on with your acromion. It is hard to tell you exactly what is up without actually checking your ROM out but in this case surgery can be an option. Keep me posted.

Dr. Mike Feulner
04-22-2010, 12:35 AM
Hello Dr Feulner!

Im a senior student majoring in product design, and Im focusing on a product to prevent injuries. I have a few questions i would like you to answer as a professional.

Thank you in advance for your time.

1. In your profession, what is the most commonly injured body-part during exercise? What caused the injury?

2. Are weight-lifters prone to wrist injuries during exercise?

3. What do knee wraps and elbow wraps prevent?

Thank you.

In weight lifting there is the chance for any injury to happen but the most common seems to be to the shoulder. It is usually a cummulative effect of years of little injuries or poor form. The wrist is not commonly injured during lifting. Wraps provide tendon stability when applied and used correctly. Good luck on your project.

Dr. Mike Feulner
04-22-2010, 12:50 AM
I would like to know the chiropractors veiw on this video, posted about half way down the page. http://www.ah.ouhsc.edu/rehab/continuing_education.asp personally I have used chiropractic with mixed feelings and am having second thoughts about continuing to shell out money to fix lower back pain that has not been reduced and even increased at times.

Interesting video. False on most accounts, but intersting none the less. Chiropractic; as with any other profession, has skilled practitioners and not so skilled practitioners. Just like anf form of medicine, mechanics, dentists and so on. There is a plethora of scientific literature and research to back up the theories and science of chiropractic. As for your back...it all depends what is wrong with it. maybe chiropractic isn't the best choice. If it is though I would suggest finding a chiropractor who cna successfully identify the problem, explain it to you and treat it. If you had the same sore throat for years would you keep going back to the same MD?

Dr. Mike Feulner
04-22-2010, 12:53 AM
hi dr
my should has been bothering me for a while, it hurts right on the joint, it gets better some times, stretching the front delt and pecs seem to provide some relief, could this be more of a muscle unbalance.
thanks

A little more info would be helpful...how long is a while, hurts during what movements, how often, is the identifiable weakness in that shoulder or arm.....etc. If stretching the "front delt and pecs" helps I would lead toward a muscle issue. Don't forget to look at the posterior musculature as well. Good luck and keep me posted

STRENGTH-TRAINING
05-03-2010, 04:33 PM
hi, thanks for the reply
i first hurt it last summer, it died down after a while, and didnt bother me, then in janurary, it come back during the incline, and went after a few days, then 3 weeks later during the plate load dip machine, something went, and has been bothering me since, flat bench is not too bad once warm, overhead press is the only press that feels comfortable, which is strange, its the incline moves, dips and all dumbell work that really irritate it, and cause alot of pain, in the joint and front delt, rear delt moves are painful too, and iv gone weaker at these,

i went to my dr, but they didnt even check it, they made me move my arm, and just prescribed me some anti inflammitrys, i will be going back soon, but the doctors here in the UK, drag things out so long. so it will be months before they will let me go to see a physio, it took my sister 8 months to just have an x-ray for her back, which she then found out was 2 herniated discs and a twisted spine. and they still drag her appointments out.

thanks for your help Dr.

A little more info would be helpful...how long is a while, hurts during what movements, how often, is the identifiable weakness in that shoulder or arm.....etc. If stretching the "front delt and pecs" helps I would lead toward a muscle issue. Don't forget to look at the posterior musculature as well. Good luck and keep me posted

STRENGTH-TRAINING
05-03-2010, 04:47 PM
hi again Dr
my sister is going to have a cortisone injection for her 2 herniated discs in L4/L5 and a twisted spine, everytime she goes out she needs 2-3 days to recover, she uses tramadol for the pain, is the cortisone injection going to let her be able to live properly again. Is there any other treatments along with the cortisone injection and physio you would recommend, or this he right pat to take.
thanks

FeebSlayer
05-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Hey Doc,
First time posting, have a question about rehabin a torn tricep tendon, which did not happen during training. I had surgery to repair my left tricep (3cm tear) on 4/27/10. According to my Doctor I will be imobilized for approximately 6 - 10 wks, dependent upon my progress. I have been training for years and have never experienced an injury like this. I have been unable to train since the injury happened, and I'm going out of my mind!! I want to continue to train my right side with dumbells, however I don't know if I should. Also I don't know what to expect when I am able to begin rehab. Are there specific exercises I should concentrate on, as well as stay away from?? I was advised to take magniseum citrate to assist with the recovery process, are there any suppliments that you recommend that will help in my recovery, and after recovery. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, get thread btw.

redline777
01-31-2011, 08:01 AM
Hi Doc, PLEASE HELP ..IM IN AGONY, after doing squats i think i may have partially torn my right glute muscle..its no problem when i'm standing and walking,just when i sit down for 10min and get up - it SCREAMS!! i've had 2 physio sessions,2 ART sessions, and hasnt done nothing! would i need an xray or worse an op?