PDA

View Full Version : Competition day ...Spray or old school?

zubbeyboy
02-15-2010, 09:56 PM
My contest is in 5 weeks. They have a professional tanning booth at the show im doing. Whats the verdict on spray versus using Jan Tana? Dave suggests
JAN TANA HIGH DEFINITION TAN.

Heres the spray they have at show
http://www.tadinoue.com/store/item.php?id=51

As well any input on posing oil? Some say Pam works best?

Thanks for the input!!

mygirlsdad
02-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Getting sprayed is well worth the money, its gonna save you and your friend a lot of time. However $124 is alot, you should be able to find someone to spray you for 75-100. I like hot stuff for your oil, it doesn't give you the oily look. Good luck!

DAVIDHARDY
02-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Holy shit, that's a lot of money for a spray. The last show I did they charged 25 bucks and it turned out great. Saved me a lot of time. If the show doesn't have spray services, then I use pro-tan as the base coats and put Jan-Tana Competition color on the top of it. Some shows don't allow pam, so make sure that you can use it before hand. It is def the easiest and doesn't make you smear like when you use a rub-on oil. The hot stuff can be squirted on and dabbed just like the PAM can.

GirlyMuscle
02-16-2010, 07:02 AM
Ya know, I could have gotten sprayed for my show but I decided to go with doing it myself since it was my first show. I wanted the whole experience. Everyone I know did paint on tan the first time and I wanted that experience. There's something about the ritual of getting a friend to paint you. If I have the option of spray tan in the future I will do that but I don't regret my decision to paint on my tan for my first time.

mygirlsdad
02-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Ya know, I could have gotten sprayed for my show but I decided to go with doing it myself since it was my first show. I wanted the whole experience. Everyone I know did paint on tan the first time and I wanted that experience. There's something about the ritual of getting a friend to paint you. If I have the option of spray tan in the future I will do that but I don't regret my decision to paint on my tan for my first time.

There is just something about that experience that's really cool. I agree with you the first time you should paint yourself, love the smell of jan-tana. It just gets old if you have to do it so often. Kinda becomes a chore. But try using a small sponge for the protan, pour it in a bowl and dip as needed. A lot faster than the small stick/sponge they give you.

zubbeyboy
02-17-2010, 12:29 AM
There is just something about that experience that's really cool. I agree with you the first time you should paint yourself, love the smell of jan-tana. It just gets old if you have to do it so often. Kinda becomes a chore. But try using a small sponge for the protan, pour it in a bowl and dip as needed. A lot faster than the small stick/sponge they give you.

Thinking bout doing it old school. What about face? Any different strategies for applying to head? BTW im bald

The Big Sexy
02-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Spray ... 100% - I've done it both ways. The spray bonds better with the skin for some reason... 2 coats and it doesn't sweat off as easy. I had issues with the self-applications actually bonding to the skin. I had great color - but it would sweat off in streaks on stage. No good.

zubbeyboy
02-17-2010, 12:42 AM
Spray ... 100% - I've done it both ways. The spray bonds better with the skin for some reason... 2 coats and it doesn't sweat off as easy. I had issues with the self-applications actually bonding to the skin. I had great color - but it would sweat off in streaks on stage. No good.

Thanks TBS.
So would i have to pay twice to get sprayed twice? Is twice the way to go?Heres the place doing it at the show.

The Big Sexy
02-17-2010, 01:36 AM
Thanks TBS.
So would i have to pay twice to get sprayed twice? Is twice the way to go?Heres the place doing it at the show.

No, one payment and they get you two coats usually. I don't know how Jan Tana does it -but most shows will have independent people who do it. I know around here there are several very qualified people who do it for $100 instead of $150 that Jan tana charges, and they do a damn better job at it too.

sassy69
02-17-2010, 01:37 AM
I would send them an email - IMO $124 should be complete show quality tan. Not just charge you by the number of layers you need. Normally they'll give you a base coat, let that dry and then get the final coat. I'd also ask about what sort of touch-up service is available - e.g. will there be someone at the show to do touchups if needed?

This is how Jan Tana handled the spray tanning at the Excaliber in December. (without the touchups backstage - I wasn't back stage so don't know if there as someone or not.) I was really impressed w/ the quality of the color and coverage for 2 layers.

Its worth the money in the sense that you don't have to spend 3-4 days getting several layers on (at least that's my experience w/ Protan - put a layer on, let it dry, shower, repeat at least 4 times).

Face/head-wise - again you might email Tad's service for their recommendation. Since the spray tanning allows you to get it done so close to the show (less time for it to rub off or get messed up), get your face done. Otherwise I prefer getting the coresponding foundation makeup - Jan Tana sells a foundation that matches the tan. This you just put on the day of the show (or could use it for easy touch up).

If you have the time & someone to do it, doing it yourself is indeed one of those "must have" experiences for any competitor. But sometimes logistics make it hard & the spray tan is a good option.

sassy69
02-17-2010, 01:38 AM
No, one payment and they get you two coats usually. I don't know how Jan Tana does it -but most shows will have independent people who do it. I know around here there are several very qualified people who do it for $100 instead of $150 that Jan tana charges, and they do a damn better job at it too.

A note is to check the show rules - I've seen lately that if you use someone else within the host hotel other than the designated "show tanning service" they can DQ you from the show.

The Big Sexy
02-17-2010, 01:39 AM
Ok... in addition to what they said... don't use lotion for about 4 days or so before you get tanned (at least), and ex-foliate your skin the entire week before the show - paying special attention to your elbows, shins, forearms and knees. Shave your body the day before you get tanned. I don't put ANY lotion or prep product on before I go in... that's just me. The ONE time I did, I looked orange for a week after I showered off.

I would ask them if you get an application the night before and an application the day of. If not, see if there are some local people doing it at the host hotel or if there is a local business that has the capabilities to do it in the area.

The Big Sexy
02-17-2010, 01:39 AM
A note is to check the show rules - I've seen lately that if you use someone else within the host hotel other than the designated "show tanning service" they can DQ you from the show.

Truism - however, I have yet to see such a disqualification and I doubt anyone will talk lol

EDIT - also, you might find them in the hotel down the street because of this (I remember this at several of the NPC shows here in SoCal)

sassy69
02-17-2010, 02:50 AM
Truism - however, I have yet to see such a disqualification and I doubt anyone will talk lol

EDIT - also, you might find them in the hotel down the street because of this (I remember this at several of the NPC shows here in SoCal)

Yep :)

DAVIDHARDY
02-17-2010, 10:56 AM

That's a load of crap. DQ someone because they used someone else to apply their tan. Fucking ridiculous. It seems like they'd have a hell of a time proving it without some documentation or visual evidence though, so I'd simply lie about it lol. Nothing wrong with a little white...I mean dark brown lie;)

sassy69
02-17-2010, 12:07 PM
That's a load of crap. DQ someone because they used someone else to apply their tan. Fucking ridiculous. It seems like they'd have a hell of a time proving it without some documentation or visual evidence though, so I'd simply lie about it lol. Nothing wrong with a little white...I mean dark brown lie;)

Better informed than to be the first guy DQ'd for not using the exclusive tanning service of said competition.

DAVIDHARDY
02-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Better informed than to be the first guy DQ'd for not using the exclusive tanning service of said competition.

I'm not doubting it is true, but it is fucking stupid. I mean seriously?

Scoobysnacks
02-17-2010, 12:21 PM
I only use www.liquidsunrayz.com (http://www.liquidsunrayz.com) for my tanning needs. Very professional and Marilyn actually cares about how your color turns out and it shows.

My profile pic is my tan from Junior Nats, and the whiteness you see in my avatar is how I looked about 2 hrs before she hit me with my first coat.

Ss