PDA

View Full Version : NY Gym Tax?

dvsness
02-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Arguing that a good workout in at the gym can be taxing enough, the governor's plan to raise taxes on health clubs is gaining some strong opposition from the fitness industry and enthusiasts throughout the state. NY1's Health and Fitness reporter Kafi Drexel filed the following report.

Governor David Paterson has proposed to boost the sales tax on health club fees and services four percent to raise more money to fix New York's ailing economy. Yet many gym members would be feeling the burn in their wallets.

"I think it is ridiculous. I think you should tax fat food and tax pollution, something that is more negative," says gym member Susan Cappozzoli.

"If anything, they should be subsidizing gym memberships and decreasing gym memberships so you could encourage people to go to the gym and avoid obesity and other health issues,? says gym member Joel Feliciano.

Analysts from the International Health, Racquet and Sportsclub Association say an additional tax would be just yet another financial hurdle for new fitness club memberships, which have already decreased in some areas because of the economy.

The fitness industry is also reacting by lobbying against the tax in Albany. Clubs like Equinox have been emailing members on-line, encouraging them to ask lawmakers to block the tax.

"We think the tax is just a big disconnect from Governor Paterson's direct state policy of promoting a healthy lifestyle," says Equinox chief operating officer Scott Rosen.

Paterson previously said he would tax sugary sodas to help fight obesity, but some wonder whether taxing gym memberships will undo his health advocacy.

"New York State spent $1.6 billion last year for health care costs for obesity. To have this tax discourages maintaining a well-balanced diet and health and fitness," says Senior Vice President David Kastin of Town Sports International. "I would double up the tax on sodas and leave fitness clubs alone."

State health officials are defending the tax proposal, which is still subject to approval by the State Legislature.

"The tax on health club memberships is something we're doing to raise revenue. There's plenty of other ways as [State Health Commissioner Richard] Daines said, that folks can get out and exercise, particularly children," says State Deputy Health & Human Services Secretary Joe Baker.

Rosen says that argument leaves a lot out of the equation.

"Many of our members can't do it on their own," he says. "They need our energy or our space, or our equipment or our staff and our trainers, our group fitness programs. So it's not just about, 'Where do I exercise?'"

http://www.ny1.com/Default.aspx?ArID=93706

Metroflexplano
02-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Wow that is very interesting and ass-backward thinking

kp3131
02-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Wow that is very interesting and ass-backward thinking

not if you are trying to make money by taxing all of the prescription drugs, and health care systems also

Swiper
02-10-2009, 04:45 PM
what did you expect from a liberal democrat? Raising taxes in a recession, what a wonderful idea. :rolleyes:

Por2gue
02-10-2009, 04:48 PM
This guy is just a dick.

JamesWebb
02-10-2009, 07:06 PM
they should tax those who dont go to the gym. they are costing the government more than we are.

BigJD69
02-10-2009, 07:09 PM
That makes sense tax the people that are trying to stay in shape and not be a burden on the health care system!

red barraca
02-10-2009, 07:11 PM
that's bullshit! dvness,find a gym in jeresy

Relentless
02-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Is it time for a Boston Tea Party, folks? Things are going horribly awry in this country....

wnybodybuildingfan
02-10-2009, 07:43 PM
They (politicians) need to start first by giving themselves a pay cut.

goddessamazon
02-10-2009, 09:17 PM
they should tax those who dont go to the gym. they are costing the government more than we are.

Agreed!

Damn, it's expensive to live in New York as it is. Why make things worst by taxing people who wish to improve their health?

SoxFan11
02-10-2009, 09:37 PM
A can of Coke (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Coca-Cola+Classic) could soon cost New Yorkers more than just calories.Gov. Paterson (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/David+Paterson), as part of a $121 billion budget to be unveiled Tuesday (December 16), will propose an "obesity tax" of about 15% on nondiet drinks.

SoxFan11
02-10-2009, 09:39 PM
what did you expect from a liberal democrat? Raising taxes in a recession, what a wonderful idea. :rolleyes:

What do you expect from a rightwing fucktard who knows absolutely nothing about fiscal policy nor economics.

partsRheavy
02-10-2009, 09:48 PM
If anything, gym memberships and similar things like sporting goods should be taxed _less_, i.e. incentivized.

I count myself as a Democrat, but I believe that the folks who do things that are healthy should be encouraged.

If they ever do national health care, I'd like to see something like a Fitness Swipe Card. The idea is a lot like a gym membership card where you swipe in to w/o, but it could also be used at car-inaccessible "checkpoints" on walking and bike trails. Participation could be incentivized somehow.

The last thing we need to do is increase taxes on gyms or increase trail access fees. We need to encourage active recreation.

Swiper
02-10-2009, 09:55 PM
What do you expect from a rightwing fucktard who knows absolutely nothing about fiscal policy nor economics.

No need for the name calling. It makes you look childish.

so you think it's good fiscal policy to raise taxes in a recession? LOL.... you can't be serious.

SoxFan11
02-10-2009, 09:59 PM
If anything, gym memberships and similar things like sporting goods should be taxed _less_, i.e. incentivized.

I count myself as a Democrat, but I believe that the folks who do things that are healthy should be encouraged.

If they ever do national health care, I'd like to see something like a Fitness Swipe Card. The idea is a lot like a gym membership card where you swipe in to w/o, but it could also be used at car-inaccessible "checkpoints" on walking and bike trails. Participation could be incentivized somehow.

The last thing we need to do is increase taxes on gyms or increase trail access fees. We need to encourage active recreation.

X2. Needless to say my friends who still work for Senate Finance, Assembly Ways and Means and DOB have all gotten a nasty email from me about the gym tax.

In the Guv's defense, he proposed an awful lot of spending cuts to go along with the tax increases. Of course, any politician is going to increase taxes on things that are either unpopular or not widely noticed. And, unlike the federal government, NY can not run a deficit.

The root cause of the problem, though, is New York's unwillingness to save during the fiscal good times. When I was there we were getting very creative with our bonding.

SoxFan11
02-10-2009, 10:01 PM
No need for the name calling. It makes you look childish.

so you think it's good fiscal policy to raise taxes in a recession? LOL.... you can't be serious.

It's not a black or white issue. It would depend on the tax, the price elasticity of demand of the good/service being taxed, tax incidence, etc.

Bryan Hildebrand
02-10-2009, 10:12 PM
we have been in NY for 18 months now. the only word to really describe someone who makes a very nice living in this state is Painful. my wife and I do well and this blind fucker is tax and spending us to death. think its time to start looking for a new state to call home.

Mike Marcano
02-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Forget about going to Jersey, there are taxes on memberships over here as well!

JWolfe
02-11-2009, 12:02 AM
The tax on fast food and junk sounds good because no one really NEEDS them and they do no good plus so many more people use that service.