PDA

View Full Version : My review of Species products

Ryan Bracewell
02-23-2010, 12:36 AM
I brought the Species line into my store specifically because I wanted to try Dave's line of supplements. I know he is doing Species to make money, but also figured he would not put out a product that sucked in fear of hurting his reputation. And I was right.

Fiberlyze Fruit Punch: used 10-12oz water in a blender bottle and it mixed great. The flavor was good, and I like how the brown saw dust looking fiber turns to red liquid when you mix it. The only recommendation I have is to drink it quick because the fiber absorbs the liquid turning it into sludge. And of course this product was effective ;)

Isolyze Vanilla Peanut Butter: I typically use weight gainers which taste really good because they are allowed to have fat and carbs in them, but I was pleasantly surprised by the good taste of Isolyze. Despite not having carbs or fat this product was still able to have a great taste for a protein powder. I mixed 2scps in 12oz of water with a blender bottle and it mixed great with a little foam. My only issue with this product is the price compared to similar products. I'm not saying it isn't worth the money, but it gets expensive for those who use a lot of powder.

Carbolyze Fruit Punch: I am a big WMS fan and have tried many, many WMS products over the past 2 years, and I have to say this is the first Species product to let me down. Carbolyze mixes well, and the initial taste is decent but the after taste is pretty bad with this product. This after taste is some what common with WMS products but I prefer the Carbo Slam by Prima Force. If you do not care about the taste, this product is great because it mixes well and does not cause gas and bloating. Unfortunately this is one product of Dave's that I would not buy again.

Omegalyze: I typically get Nordic Naturals omega's for free but I liked Dave's formula so much that I had to try this product. Going into it I was not expecting good results because I get the fish burps from every omega product other than Nordics, but I did not have any burps at all. This product digest well, formula is great, and I consider it a must have for anyone in the market for Omega's.

Sandpig
02-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Nice write up, Ryan.

GENESIS
02-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Awesome write up. Appreciate the honesty and im sure Dave does too. I mean common... if everyone was just telling him his products were amazing in everyway possible then he would have no way to improve...

now that we know what you think about it, what do your customers say about it?

Ryan Bracewell
02-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Awesome write up. Appreciate the honesty and im sure Dave does too. I mean common... if everyone was just telling him his products were amazing in everyway possible then he would have no way to improve...

now that we know what you think about it, what do your customers say about it?

Honestly Species does not do well in my store because of price point. They do 10% off wholesale, so even when I price them at my lowest possible margin, most of the products are still $5-10 more than similar product. And the similar products have a higher margin of profit for me too.

If they were to offer 30% off wholesale, or even 20%, there sales would probably increase dramatically across the country. This may not be an issue for all retailers, but stores like mine that get 25-30% or more in some cases from every major brand out there will not be able to sell a new brand that doesn't have a decent price

Leatherhead
02-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Honestly Species does not do well in my store because of price point. They do 10% off wholesale, so even when I price them at my lowest possible margin, most of the products are still $5-10 more than similar product. And the similar products have a higher margin of profit for me too.

If they were to offer 30% off wholesale, or even 20%, there sales would probably increase dramatically across the country. This may not be an issue for all retailers, but stores like mine that get 25-30% or more in some cases from every major brand out there will not be able to sell a new brand that doesn't have a decent price

this...the reason i dont stock his line. great product though. I use isolyze.

Curt James
02-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Carbolyze Fruit Punch: I am a big WMS fan and have tried many, many WMS products over the past 2 years, and I have to say this is the first Species product to let me down. Carbolyze mixes well, and the initial taste is decent but the after taste is pretty bad with this product. This after taste is some what common with WMS products but I prefer the Carbo Slam by Prima Force. If you do not care about the taste, this product is great because it mixes well and does not cause gas and bloating. Unfortunately this is one product of Dave's that I would not buy again.

Try banana before you write it off.

Ryan Bracewell
02-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Try banana before you write it off.

I sold the banana carbolyze and van pb Isolyze to a rep for another company and got the same review on the banana that I had for fruit punch. But he did give the Isolyze a great review.

GENESIS
02-25-2010, 02:57 AM

If they were to offer 30% off wholesale, or even 20%, there sales would probably increase dramatically across the country. This may not be an issue for all retailers, but stores like mine that get 25-30% or more in some cases from every major brand out there will not be able to sell a new brand that doesn't have a decent priceinteresting...

AVBG
02-25-2010, 04:43 AM
nice write up Ryan.

DannyG
02-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the write up. The only product I’ve tried on your list is the Fiberlyze and I agree with you on the flavor and its effectiveness. Do you stock Dave’s Crealyze? If you do what do your customers think about it? I bought a bottle myself and to tell you the truth I was not too excited about the taste. I can usually stomach most products but for me it was bad enough that I decided to not finish the bottle.

Edit..On the Crealyze I didn't notice any results right away either.

Ryan Bracewell
02-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the write up. The only product I’ve tried on your list is the Fiberlyze and I agree with you on the flavor and its effectiveness. Do you stock Dave’s Crealyze? If you do what do your customers think about it? I bought a bottle myself and to tell you the truth I was not too excited about the taste. I can usually stomach most products but for me it was bad enough that I decided to not finish the bottle.

Edit..On the Crealyze I didn't notice any results right away either.

I do stock the Crealyze, and took it myself. The only reason I didnt give a review on it was because I did not take it properly, and didnt want to review it unless I did it right. The times that I did take it I noticed good pumps and energy from the glycerol. Taste was ok too me, not bad or good...but very doable IMO. Kind of had a very diluted mint kind of taste.

thesamewords
02-25-2010, 02:31 PM
"My only issue with this product is the price compared to similar products. I'm not saying it isn't worth the money, but it gets expensive for those who use a lot of powder."
I agree, I use my share of powder and I buy larger quantity in order to save a little more dough, but it is just plain ol' expensive.This is a good review bro. The honesty is always appreciated.repped.

mdmusclemachine
03-07-2010, 12:11 PM
I also stock the speceis in my store. The Isolyze sells very well. I normally compare the facts to hydro whey or Isopure, both are more expensive and not as clean. The Mac nut oil is slowly starting to sell. The tip Ryan had on the Fibrolyze is exellent because if you let it sit its horrible to try to get it down SO SHOTGUN AWAY lol. For weight gain with isolyze Try this

1cup oats
5 tbs natural pb
2 scoops vanilla pb isolyze

Rattbones
03-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Nice Ryan
We are carying Specis at Armbrust Pro Gym now, and the Isolyze sell well. But like you said the price point is a killer for most people.

I have found that most Fiber producs will turn to jelly if you don't down them. I just can see paying more money for a fiber product

gohome
03-07-2010, 05:36 PM
I tried the PB Isolyze when it first came out. My initial thought was that it had a bit too much sweetner for my taste, which clouded the peanut butter taste.

I agree about the fruit punch carbolyze. The banana is okay, but I generally do not like how these flavors mix with the Isolyze flavors. I still don't get why most companies make fruity flavor waxy maizes and milk shake flavored (i.e. choc, vanilla) whey proteins. Aren't we supposed to mix the two together. I use IDS' Natural unflavored waxymaize so I can mix it with any flavored protein.