PDA

View Full Version : Worried about Polygraph test even though I'm clean

pacman24
02-23-2010, 07:31 PM
I have to take my first polygraph test in a few weeks and I'm nervous as hell...even though I'm clean. I must have read the banned substance list 15 times, haha. Was anyone else nervous their first time? I'm just worried my brain will spazz out on me when they ask if I've used any banned substance and be like...well did someone ever spike my protein shake with steroids?

I know it's pretty unrealistic but I would just like to hear some thoughts from others. How does it actually go down...like what questions do they ask you. Do they put the banned substance list in front of you and ask if you've used any of it? Or do they ask it in different questions like...have you used any anabolic steroids in past 7 years. Then another question Have you ever used any pro-hormones, etc.

I would just like a little re-assurance and stories from personal experience. Thanks a ton!

Steve56
02-23-2010, 08:08 PM
dude dont worry...im natty have taken poly-graph before shows and even though i was clean my heart was racing because i know how unreliable those tests are and what a shame it would be to prep for a show and be denied cause of some bullshit..so i went in there answered the questions honestly and passed fine

J Franco
02-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Its normal to be nervous and most testers know this. Dont worry about!

MaxC
02-23-2010, 09:20 PM
I was totally nervous the first time, and teven the second time I took one even though I was clean. You'll be ok. Its usually like 7 questions. They ask stuff like "have you ever taken any AAS, and then list some names." Then they ask diuretics. Then they ask if you are taking a masking agent to calm you down so you pass your test?

As someone said above, you can change your HR because you are nervous and it doesn't affect anything. I always slow mine down when they put me on an HR monitor. Its a reflex. The guy doing the polygraph actually asked why my HR was so low (it was around 40-44). I still passed

I actually have a friend who had ADD and took a stimulant medication for school, not for competition, and was still able to pass his test. He got a letter from his doctor. You'll be fine. everyone gets nervous. Won't actually make you fail the test though. Chill and focus on your prep. Good luck

GENESIS
02-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Is your name _____?
Were you born in _____?
Have you ever taken ANABOLIC STEROIDS!?!?
Are you competing in a Bodybuilding competition today?
Have you used any Diuretics that are on the list of controlled substances?

pretty much went down like that. i was nervous, ya, but start talking about the equipment used to do the polygraphing... like what this does and what that does. calmed me down alot, and i learnd some cool things.

xxterxx
02-23-2010, 09:29 PM
xanax will do the trick

AVBG
02-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Genesis is spot on. Anyways any fed that only relies on polygraphs may not be in your best interest.

A-Maxx
02-24-2010, 10:37 PM
how bout this....

if the league says for example you need to be 4 years clean...

do they ask you

Have you ever used banned substances or have you used banned substances in the past 4 years?

cuz that would suck if you use to do it but became clean for 5 years and they flat out ask you if you "ever" used banned substances

DAVIDHARDY
02-25-2010, 09:33 AM
I wasn't nervous, but then again I've been in some shit a few times before and know how to keep my cool. You don't have anything to hide, so there's no need to be nervous. They ask retarded ass questions anyway.

joelster
02-25-2010, 09:55 AM
The polygraph is a joke. It is not a lie-detector test. It is a skin tension, heart rate detector test, nothing more. If you are taking this test for a local show, most likely the promoter NEEDS all the competitors he/she possibly can get to enter, so you will pass no matter what the readings say. If a local show actually failed everyone that had fishy readings on the test, there would be maybe 20 competitors. Everyone that takes it has their heart rate go up when they are asked the big questions. Then when they realize that their heart rate went up, they get even more nervous and their heart rate goes up even more. It's just a nice way to charge you a little extra. Now.....if you win your class and have to submit a urinalysis after the show, that is something a little more accurate, lol.

the mighty stu
02-25-2010, 08:40 PM
The polygraph is a joke. It is not a lie-detector test. It is a skin tension, heart rate detector test, nothing more. If you are taking this test for a local show, most likely the promoter NEEDS all the competitors he/she possibly can get to enter, so you will pass no matter what the readings say. If a local show actually failed everyone that had fishy readings on the test, there would be maybe 20 competitors. Everyone that takes it has their heart rate go up when they are asked the big questions. Then when they realize that their heart rate went up, they get even more nervous and their heart rate goes up even more. It's just a nice way to charge you a little extra. Now.....if you win your class and have to submit a urinalysis after the show, that is something a little more accurate, lol.

I never thought of it that way -lol. I'm considering doing an INBF show in late June, and I tried prohormones in the past, but outside of their required time frame. Obviously I was thinking of whether they'd ask if I'd taken anything during that period of time, or if it would be an "if you ever" type of wording.

S

triceptor
02-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Is your name _____?
Were you born in _____?
Have you ever taken ANABOLIC STEROIDS!?!?
Are you competing in a Bodybuilding competition today?
Have you used any Diuretics that are on the list of controlled substances?
Have you ever done G4P?
If so.. .are you available after the test?
Does my hand on your leg make you excited?

2010 updated polygraph questions....

Leatherhead
02-25-2010, 09:16 PM
too funny:yep:

raylove
02-25-2010, 11:19 PM

HAHAHAHA good one man. :shake:

pacman24
02-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the responses, I definitely feel a little better now. I guess now all I'm worried about is my brain second guessing myself for no reason at all. For instance when they ask about GHB or something like that and then my brain thinks....well did someone ever spike my drink at a party or something...how can I be 100% sure? Or did anyone ever slip something into my protein shake when I wasn't looking?

So I guess my question is, the polygrapher will be able to differentiate stupid thinking like that from a flat out lie?

barbellbarbie
02-26-2010, 06:31 PM
just remember to stay calm control your breathing etc.. those tests are easy to pass even if you are lying if you have control over your responses and your body. When i was in college i got to take several in my cj class.. my professor was totally boggled by how i could show honesty when i was clearly lying. he had me do 2 or 3 of them and gave up.. i lied about my name age and if i was a college student and still came out showing no deception.. the tests monitor your breathing, pulse, skin temp/perspiration etc and they compare the "relevant" questions to the control questions. if you are a bit high strung on the control questions and control yourself to the relevant questions there will be no spike in your stats which is what they are actually looking for to show deception

GirlyMuscle
02-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Although I've never taken a polygraph for a bbing show, I don't believe they ask you about specific substances.

Polygraphs are bullshit anyway. It's all reliant on how the tester reads the info and his job is to get you to admit to something, not really to figure out if you're lying. Google polygraphs and read up on them. There's a reason they aren't admissible in court.

When in doubt, pop a valium or a xanax and you'll be fine.

barbellbarbie
02-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Although I've never taken a polygraph for a bbing show, I don't believe they ask you about specific substances.

Polygraphs are bullshit anyway. It's all reliant on how the tester reads the info and his job is to get you to admit to something, not really to figure out if you're lying. Google polygraphs and read up on them. There's a reason they aren't admissible in court.

this works too lol

pacman24
02-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Okay good responses everyone. I know I have not done anything on the banned substance list and even though I know I will be a little nervous for no reason...I will just go in there with the mind-set that this is just a formality and I have nothing to worry about.

MMC78
02-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Polygraphs are no better at detecting lies than flipping a coin. It's measuring people's responses to interrogation. There is no real validity to it being able to detect lies.

Jude2
02-28-2010, 06:40 PM
I was doing a NGA show once and the guy asked me if I had ever cheated on my taxes before?

pacman24
03-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Lol, that's random.

Baldiewonkanobi
03-21-2010, 09:22 PM
They are BULLCHIT. 20 years ago I competed in poly tested Natural show and was told AFTER I won my polygraph was 'questionable'. They held back my title and trophy until I paid $75 for a blood test, which I passed thank you. I was sent my trophy WITHOUT an applogy. I have since competed only in non tested shows where everyone is non suspicious friendly and non judgemental. What a breath of fresh air.

Baldie

slh101
08-11-2010, 05:38 PM
just a formality,i know some of the guys i competed against had been using within the last 7yrs...the more i've bn round natty shows i've learned ppl use stuff that gets out of your system quick

HammerStrength12
08-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Will they ask you if you've taken ALR Restore? lol

Rsardinia
08-12-2010, 06:44 PM

LOL at the suggestion to take drugs to calm yourself before the polygraph for a NATURAL bodybuilding show. Too funny :D