PDA

View Full Version : low test???????????

rdtrantham
03-01-2010, 02:26 PM
My total test. Is 322 which is boarder line low, my free test is 2.2%. Don't understand how my total test is low but my free test is ok, and all other blood work is ok. Any ideas
here are my blood work results

total test 322ng/dl in the morning
free test % 2.2%
free test. 70.1 pg/ml
shbg 28 nmol/L
LH 2.8 mIU/ml
prolactin 5.4 ng/mL

the doctor said i am boderline, what would be your advice

MaxC
03-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Dude,

Here's whats up. Test can be found in the blood either completely dissolved in plasma (i.e. free), or bound to SHBG (Sex hormone binding globulin). So, free vs. bound. Most is bound, because most proteins are not very soluble in the blood. That is why only 2.2% is free. Your total test is the combination of the two. If you have less SHBG then you will have more free test, because less is bound to SHBG. In general, it is the free test that binds to androgen receptors and exerts action because if test is bound to SHBG it is not free to bind to androgen receptors. So, if your free test is fine, then you could probably be considered to have a normal amount of acting test. I do not know off hand whether resistance exercise lowers SHBG. I could look it up, but gotta get back to work right now.

Looking at your numbers, and comparing them to literature values of normal, it seems that everything is borderline low, including free test. Meaning, many people with the numbers that you have begin to see some symptoms in terms of their libido, mood, and energy level. Normal values also depend on your age and you can look them up on the internet.

In your case, if you found a doc who will consider optimization for you then that might be an option you want to consider. However, being a natural, you may not be able to compete in those organizations anymore. Also, if you have been natural for this long (much respect to you, I am also a natural) then there are probably some reasons you stayed this way for so long, and you may want to also consider those as well. I think that most sources you find will agree that the levels you have are low, and I encourage you to look this up online.

Good luck.

MaxC
03-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Whoops,

I just realized that this was in a Q&A section for Dr. Barrett. Sorry about that. I was just taking a break from work, and clicked on the most recent posts section, and decided to write a response. My apologies. Lets wait and see what the doc has to say.

MaxC
03-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Hey man,

Just stopped by to see what the Doc said. Did I answer your question, or not exactly? Did you get that your free test is also considered borderline by some, even though the percent is normal because the actual amount is considered a bit low. 1.0-5.0ng/dL is considered normal. Yours is 70.1pg/mL. a nanogram is 10^-12, and 1 pg (picogram) is 10^-9. So a nanogram is significantly bigger. Although some people consider anything down to 40.0pg/mL normal for a 20 year old, it could still be considered borderline low. However, it is hard to say definitively if it is low for you or not since people have different natural levels, and this is not something you had measured at a time when you had no symptoms of low test. Its neat stuff. Good luck.

rdtrantham
03-03-2010, 08:31 AM
thanks for the response, actually i am have it tested again this week. the dr. aslo said i was boaderline. thanks

THEVMAN
11-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Another option - Test boosters????? Natural - boost Your Test, dont replace it. I could recommend several - Trib - any kind seems to be good for a while. For example - The new DIESEL TEST Hardcore