PDA

View Full Version : NGA Pro Paul Revelia Training Journal

Pages : [1] 2

fltallpaul
03-03-2010, 10:23 AM
My name is Paul Revelia. I am 34 years old, 6'3" and 235lbs. As a high school sophomore I was given a book called "The Arnold Schwarzenegger Modern Bodybuilding Encyclopedia". My best friend and I began lifting weights every day that summer at his house and I have never looked back. Following magazines and the advice of countless individuals, as well as learning from my personal experiences I forged myself the best I could. At times I would become frustrated, and other times I would lift religiously. Over the course of these last 16 years I have found how much I enjoy the adventure that is bodybuilding. About 4 years ago while in a really good stretch of training I decided to look into competing. As a lifetime Natural I really thought my competition experiences would be limited to just personal satisfaction as I would never be a 290lb monster. While searching the bodybuilding.com forums I discovered the video series "Life of a Natural Pro" with Layne Norton. I watched Tommy and Layne and saw for the first time where I fit in the world of bodybuilding. These guys with amazing, yet attainable physiques and conditioning caught my attention as much as Arnold, Franco and Zane did when I was in high school.

After reading and watching everything I could by Layne I contacted both him and Tommy. To my surprise I was immediately contacted by both of them. I told them of my plans of competing and after sending pictures and a profile I was working with Layne. A year later I competed in my first bodybuilding show. The show was a local level 4 NPC show in Orlando called the Mid Florida Muscle Classic. This show is in Orlando, Fl every year and always has a great turnout.

Initially my plan was to just compete. As this is an untested show and I knew what that could mean. A funny thing happened as I was preparing. I found I wanted to win. More and more each week I found my focus and motivation was razor sharp. Diet, cardio, lifting, rest and recovery were my main goals each day. As a former college baseball player I had found that competitive spirit rekindled.

I stepped on stage so confident on June 21st, 2008. I did everything Layne had asked and found myself in the best shape of my life. Hearing my name called in first place for the novice class was icing on the cake.

In 2009 I competed in Two more shows. I won the overall title at the NGA American International and won my Pro Card as well. I dieted for 23 weeks in perparation and fought hard against some great competitors all day to take the victory.

One great thing about the NGA America International show is that there was also a Pro Division there. Seeing those guys up close really lets me know where I need to go to win a Pro show, and that is my goal. For this reason I am taking off all of 2010 to add some size and thickness before challenging the Pro's.

I am currently training to compete in a powerlifiting meet in August of this year. RAW United is having thier second annual show at Univeral Power and Fitness in Orlando, Fl. This is where I reside and so it will give me a chance to compete this year without dieting for 20+ weeks.

I am training right now with some local Power Lifters, one of which is a top 10 ranked RAW lifter named Mike Francis. I am learning the form and technique while also pushing myself to new limits. We shall see how my first meet goes. I am being persuaded to compete in a local contest this April as well.

This journal will be a list of my workouts and videos as well as musings of what's going on in my life. I am an open book and will answer any questions. I am very open minded about dieting, cardio, lifting and never disregard anything without investigating. My eyes have been opened over the last 4 years and I am still learning.

Here are some pictures of my journey.

Teenage Years
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/mikeandme.jpg

Before I ever competed, trying to bulk up for my first contest diet.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/BulkedUpApril07.jpg

Novice Class Win at 2008 Mid Florida Muscle Classic
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/MM_Win.jpg

Heavyweight and Overall Victory NGA America International Championships
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/NGA%20Florida%202009/IMG_0437-2_edited-1.jpg

Tall Class Champion OCB Midwest States
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/OCB%20Midwest%20States%202009/MMroutine.jpg

fltallpaul
03-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Random Pictures from training

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/workout/sidechest-7.jpghttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/workout/rearlat-2.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/workout/backdub.jpghttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/workout/sidechest110409.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/workout/pauldouble100209.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/workout/3point.jpg

fltallpaul
03-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Monday February 1st, 2010

Flat Bench
300x5, 300x5, 300x5, 300x5, 300x5

Incline Bench
265x5, 275x5, 285x4

Cable Pull Downs Narrow Grip
180x8, 220x8, 250x8, 250x8

High Cable Row SS Low Cable Row(single arm)
120x6, 140x6, 150x6, 155x6

Day 1 of the week and the bench felt nice. I am still learning to use perfect form but I am much more comfortable on bench than I am on squats. Wednesday is another chance to work on that though. We also did some incline pressing which I have not done in a few weeks. I was happy to get pretty solid numbers after killing flat. The back workout was really good as well, I really focused on squeezing the back on each rep and holding before slowly releasing the weight. Tonight is an off night so I will just take a long walk with my dog and enjoy the recovery before squat day.

NATURAL-1987
03-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Man you got shredded in 2009 shows. Congrats on the Pro Card.

fltallpaul
03-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Man you got shredded in 2009 shows. Congrats on the Pro Card.

Thank you. I dieted longer and slower and kept more muscle the second time around that's for sure. I still didn't reach that Brian Whitacre, Kurt Wiedner level but I think I will get closer each time I prep and will eventually nail it completely.

jacshelb
03-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Paul, I remember you from the ironage forums. You look great in those competition photos, super shredded! At that level of bf, what was your competition weight?

fltallpaul
03-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Paul, I remember you from the ironage forums. You look great in those competition photos, super shredded! At that level of bf, what was your competition weight?

I still visit there every so often. I remember you as well and its great your getting advice on this forum now. Thank you for the compliments. This year I was around 205-206 on stage.

Shadow
03-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Ripped! Good to see you decided to start a journal.

"Rodz"
03-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Hey bro, lookin ripped, the arnold book was one of my first too, along with the 2 bob paris books

fltallpaul
03-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Ripped! Good to see you decided to start a journal.

I just realized that this forum had one, I have been tracking my workouts on bb.com for a few years. I just ventured into PLing so its a good time to start one here now. Thank you for the compliment.

Hey bro, lookin ripped, the arnold book was one of my first too, along with the 2 bob paris books

Would you recommend the Bob Paris books, I like to read and I have never seen those?

jacshelb
03-03-2010, 03:43 PM
I still visit there every so often. I remember you as well and its great your getting advice on this forum now. Thank you for the compliments. This year I was around 205-206 on stage.

Well, you are looking great. Congrats on the NGA pro card and getting yourself into such good conditioning. I'm outing myself a bit by saying this, but I'm always amazed when guys get into the kind of shape you are in naturally, I've yet to do it with "help". Gotta take a lot of dedication. Much respect.

Are you going to take part in the mr. ironage on the forum over there?

fltallpaul
03-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Well, you are looking great. Congrats on the NGA pro card and getting yourself into such good conditioning. I'm outing myself a bit by saying this, but I'm always amazed when guys get into the kind of shape you are in naturally, I've yet to do it with "help". Gotta take a lot of dedication. Much respect.

Are you going to take part in the mr. ironage on the forum over there?

Honestly conditioning just comes down to tracking diet and making changes over a long period of time. I am a little lucky in that my fat comes off pretty steadily but I also bust my ass with HIIT and MISS cardio throughout prep as well as using food to kick start fat burning.

The Mr. Ironage thing will be done when I am in the middle of competing in Power lifting so I am not so sure I will be lean enough, though I will check into it.

"Rodz"
03-03-2010, 04:36 PM
I just realized that this forum had one, I have been tracking my workouts on bb.com for a few years. I just ventured into PLing so its a good time to start one here now. Thank you for the compliment.

Would you recommend the Bob Paris books, I like to read and I have never seen those?

They are "beyond built" and "flawless" he talks about the lifestyle from training to nutrition, tanning and even grooming

Mr.Bones
03-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Insane conditioning, as others have said.

fltallpaul
03-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Insane conditioning, as others have said.

Sorry I can't hear you, all I see are boobs, lol.

Thank you...for so many things.

fltallpaul
03-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Wednesday March 3rd, 2010
Squats
265x4, 265x4, 265x4, 265x4
Sissy Squats with Medium Bands over shoulders
8, 8, 5 drop bands 3
Reverse Hypers
50x10 with hold, 50x12 with hold, 100x12 with swing, 100x12 with swing
Calf Press
270x15, 360x10, 450x8, 450x8

Week two of squatting with the big boys and tonight there were only three of us. I did some warmup stuff for my knees as my left on has been bothering me. I think I tweeked it snowboarding a few weeks ago and its still recovering. Everything felt good tonight i just need to get stronger at the depth I am hitting. I filmed a few sets but I left the camera at the gym so I have to get it back tonight. I will edit this post and add the videos if I can, or create a new post below.
I am going into the gym tonight just to hit arms, probably a quick 30 minute heavy workout just to keep them full and strong.

fltallpaul
03-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Thursday March 4th, 2010
Standing Barbell Curls
95x10, 115x10, 135x5, 135x5, 135x5
Skull Crushers
105x12, 135x8, 135x8, 135x8
Reverse Grip Pullups, For Biceps
BWx10, BW+50x5, BW+25x8, BW+25x8
Dips for Triceps
BWx15 3 sets
Friday March 5th, 2010
Deadlifts
135x10, 225x8, 315x2, 365x2 405x4, 405x4, 405x4, 405x4
Reverse Hypers
100x10 3 sets
9 sets of grip strength exercises
I went in Thursday night to show my arms some love since the squat day was too long to do them after. Today I went in and did my 90% workout and got all 4 sets of 405 which was very cool. I am very happy with this new routine, although I would have gotten alot more out of it had I started when the rest of the guys did like 7 weeks ago. It's a 12 week peaking program. I will use it when I compete in August and get more out of the volume at the beginning I missed this time around.
Now it's off to Ft. Lauderdale for some rest and relaxation with Misty. It sucks we aren't at the Arnold this year to hand with Layne, Tommy, Kera and Isabel...as well as my other friends Kyle, Troy, Krissy, Eric and the other board members I have yet to meet in person. Hopefully I will see everyone at the Olympia.

Gerb
03-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Hey dude, I see you did the 2008 Mid FL, my wife competed as well at the 08 Mid FL, it was her first show.

You got a great build and great story, keep up the good work.

I live in Orlando too.

fltallpaul
03-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Here are the videos of squats and sissy squats from last week. Yes I am a weak squatter but I believe if I can improve my legs will look even better on stage and they are already a strength, we shall see.
MD1M36737KY
hDa26nkEcMQ

jacshelb
03-08-2010, 01:46 PM
I've got some knee issues too and am in the same boat with you as far as squats/legs go. I've worked up to being able to do good sets of parallel squats with 330-340 or so. But, that's usually about the point I re-injure my knee. The angle for back squats is hell on my patella tendon. I see these articles definitively stating that squats are not harmful to knees if done "correctly." Well, I'll tell you how to squat "correctly" with heavy weight- be born built to do it! :) Not every exercise is ideal for every physique imo. Though I'll go back to back squats after my diet/contest is done at some point, for now I'm substituting with various leg presses and angled smith squats, front squats etc. Anything that changes the angle to take stress of the injured area but still stimulates the muscle.

Your squat form looks pretty good to me. And, I think the sissy band stuff is intriguing too! Never seen that before.

fltallpaul
03-09-2010, 08:44 AM
I've got some knee issues too and am in the same boat with you as far as squats/legs go. I've worked up to being able to do good sets of parallel squats with 330-340 or so. But, that's usually about the point I re-injure my knee. The angle for back squats is hell on my patella tendon. I see these articles definitively stating that squats are not harmful to knees if done "correctly." Well, I'll tell you how to squat "correctly" with heavy weight- be born built to do it! :) Not every exercise is ideal for every physique imo. Though I'll go back to back squats after my diet/contest is done at some point, for now I'm substituting with various leg presses and angled smith squats, front squats etc. Anything that changes the angle to take stress of the injured area but still stimulates the muscle.

Your squat form looks pretty good to me. And, I think the sissy band stuff is intriguing too! Never seen that before.

I firmly believe that some people are designed to do things better than others. My structure may not be the best for squats but with some time and effort I will strengthen what needs it most and become a competent squatter. Thanks Jacob.

fltallpaul
03-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Monday March 8th, 2010

Flat Bench
245x2, 265x2, 315x4, 315x4, 315x4, 315x4, 405x1 negative

Vupxcy_a3MA

Flat DB Press
100x10, 130x8, 130x8

Low Cable Row
140x10, 160x10, 180x8, 200x6, 210x6, 210x6

Bent Over Row
225x6, 225x6, 225x6, 275x6

Farmers Walk with 50lbs per hand around the building, about 300yds.

After a nice long weekend in which I went to Ft. Lauderdale and watched a few friends who play on the PGA tour at the Honda Classic I felt very rested. My diet is going great right now as I am holding my weight and getting stronger. Tonight was 90% effort bench day. I am using 350 as my max but I feel that is a bit low as I am finishing all my sets with some to spare in the thank. In a few week we will be doing a set at 107%. For me that will be 375. If I can get that for one I will probably do a back flip I will be so happy.

The rest of the workout was flat DB's and Back. We finished with a farmers walk around the entire building which seemed to go on forever. As I type this my forearms are still tired from holding those things. I had to stop a few times and set them down to make it all the way. I look forward to improving on this each week and eventually making it all the way around.

Squats on Wednesday, time to improve a bit more!

Diabetic Muscle
03-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Very strong pressing, especially to throw up 130lb DBs after 4 sets of 315.

Shadow
03-09-2010, 12:24 PM

Seriously. Wow.

jacshelb
03-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Good work man! Nice pressing! And, I agree with you about squatting. I think the same way. If I can possibly do it without making my injury worse, I'm gonna go for it too. :)

Sandpig
03-10-2010, 07:14 AM
Excellent physique, and great workouts.

Good luck as a pro.

fltallpaul
03-10-2010, 02:26 PM

I was happy, although the gym has DB's that jump from 100 to 130 so not alot of choice, lol.

Seriously. Wow.

Thanks I will video those next time we do them so you can see the form.

Good work man! Nice pressing! And, I agree with you about squatting. I think the same way. If I can possibly do it without making my injury worse, I'm gonna go for it too. :)

Squats tonight, let's get it on!

Excellent physique, and great workouts.

Good luck as a pro.

Thanks, I have alot of work to do to get on the Pro Stage and feel ready and that's what 2010 is all about...the road to the 2011 stage!

jacshelb
03-11-2010, 01:33 AM
how'd the squats go this time around?

fltallpaul
03-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Wednesday March 10th, 2010

Squats
200x2, 225x2, 270x4, 270x4, 270x4, 225x8

Calf Press
720x14, 720x12, 720x12, 720x10, 720x10

EZ Bar curl close grip, back against wall
65x12, 85x10, 105x5, 105x5, 105x5, 115x3, 125x.5

Dips on bench, feet up, DB added
BWx20, 80x15, 80x15, 100x12, 100x12, 100x12, 100x10

Squat was the focus tonight and all of the guys are getting really beat up from going heavy every week. Instead of doing more legs we decided to lay off and save some for Deadlifts Friday. Although I am only using 300 as my max and doing sets of 90%, Z and Robert were using over 500lbs for reps. Z did sets of 540x4 and was very smooth. I can aspire for now. There is a meet in 4 weeks or so which I think I may end up doing. This will just let me get my feet wet and have new goals for the August meet.
Tonight is a total rest night. Squats felt alot better last night, form was more comfortable. I am told I go very deep so depth is not an issue right now. I just need to get my numbers up to respectable and that just takes time.

fltallpaul
03-11-2010, 10:02 AM
how'd the squats go this time around?

I was happy. after I got warm I felt good. Form was not an issue although I still have some habits that I need to be conscience of. The biggest thing is just getting stronger. I really feel my quads are not weak. I hack squat to the bottom with 5 plates per side. I just need to strengthen the other muscles that peform the squat. I have noticed my hip area is often tight. It's a whole new world when each squat is deep. Getting the hip below the knee is low.

jacshelb
03-11-2010, 12:34 PM
I hear you. Sounds like you are approaching it methodically and keeping in mind how to improve form etc. Great approach!

fltallpaul
03-11-2010, 01:00 PM
MD1M36737KY

hDa26nkEcMQ[/quote]

Vupxcy_a3MA

Thanks Jacob....patience is a huge part of this sport.

fltallpaul
03-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Friday March 12th, 2010

Rack Deadlift
450+Chainsx1, 405+Chainsx5, 405+Chainsx5, 405+Chainsx5, 315+Chainsx10

2ZHS_oTPebU

99yhp4-nG_k

Front and Side DB Raise
30x20, 30x20, 30x16, 35x12, 35x12

Smith upright rows
95x10, 95x10, 95x10, 115x6, 115x6

Grip Work

Friday night in the gym and it was a good one. Mike added the chains to the rack pulls for some extra resistance at the top of the movement. Each chain weight 27lbs, although they weren't really fully stretched until the last set when Mike put the chains higher so they didn't lay on the ground at all. I pulled one rep at 450 and the chains. I think 450 is about my max from the floor right now. I will get to 500 before the year is over and hopefully before the August meet.

I finished with one set of 315 and the chains for 10 reps. I had more reps in me but my hands were done. The bar is very gnarly and it started to really dig into my hands. I am pretty happy overall with my grip strength though. I am doing all sets raw. We also did some grip work after we were done which helps. Monday night we will do some farmer walks which I felt for a few days after last week.

Saturday and Sunday were gorgeous days outside so I did alot of exercise. I played basketball both days for fun and ran some sprints on Sunday. I have not been doing any cardio and I miss it a bit. I will be more active with cardio this week.
Tonight is bench and I think we will be doing some heavy weight, we shall see!

jacshelb
03-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Good stuff man! That's some impressive pulling imo. Good form.

Diabetic Muscle
03-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Nothing beats heavy deadlifts or rack pulls. Good stuff.

Mr.Bones
03-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Looks like my type of gym.

fltallpaul
03-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Monday March 15, 2010
Bench Press
95% for 3
330x3, 330x3, 330x3(waited for commands), 330x3(waited for commands)
up9FpsNjMhU
Incline Bench Press
225x8, 275x6
Lat Pull Downs
180x12, 250x6, 250x6
Narrow Grip Cable Pull downs
180x12, 250x5, 250x5
Low Cable Rows
150x12, 240x6, 240x5
Farmer's Walk
50lbs per hand around the building(300yardsapprox)
Got in the gym and had a nice session Monday night. Bench went very well and I killed my sets. The last two sets I had to listen for the lift command. This makes things a bit more interesting. I don't think it will be a problem for me at all but its nice to have some experienced guys showing me how to do it right.
After my workout is when things got interesting. As I drove home drinking my usualy post workout shake of oatmeal and Scivation Whey I started getting some sharp pains in my stomach. I didn't think much of it until it was bed time and I got the chills. Well within an hour of that I was sweating, achey, nauseaus and felt about as bad as I can ever remember feeling. I didn't get any sleep at all. I avoided taking any medicine all night as my girlfriend has the same symptoms 24 hours earlier and vomitted everything she ingested including water and medicine. Luckily i avoided any vomitting and was able to start taking some medicine the next morning. I slept off and on all day Tuesday. I didn't eat anything but had a few sips of Xtend throughout the day. I had a bite late Tuesday night. I woke up Wednesday and got dressed for work but soon found I still was not ready. I was very tired, still had nausea and decided to take one more day. My appetite still has not returned but I plan to eat better today. I have lost about 10lbs which I am sure is mostly water weight.
My plan for now is to just relax and get back to 100% before I hit the weights again. This weekend I will probably just try to exercise and eat well and perhaps Monday be able to hit it hard again.

jacshelb
03-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Man, nice workout! Sorry to hear about the bout of what sounds like stomach flu. I had that once just like that, violently sick. My gf at the time had it just before me and then one morning I woke up with it. Nasty. Impressive pressing though to be sure!

fltallpaul
03-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Man, nice workout! Sorry to hear about the bout of what sounds like stomach flu. I had that once just like that, violently sick. My gf at the time had it just before me and then one morning I woke up with it. Nasty. Impressive pressing though to be sure!

Thanks, I am feeling much better now.

fltallpaul
03-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Monday March 22nd, 2010

Flat Bench
245x2, 265x2, 330x3, 330x3, 330x3, 350x1

Lat Pulldowns
205x10, 250x5, 250x5, 250x5

Low Cable Rows Narrow Grip
180x10, 210x8, 220x6, 230x6, 230x5

High Cable\Low Cable rows SS
90x10\90x6 4 sets

I went into the gym Sunday night just to get some blood moving. Monday's workout was my first full workout since last Monday. I was sick early last week so I took it as an opportunity to rest a bit. I lost about 10lbs during the week. I am sure most of it was water weight but I still haven't put back on alot of it. I thought I would be a bit weak going into my chest workout but to my surprise I felt really good. I got all my sets at 330 so I tried what I thought was my 1 rep max and got it handly. I may be shooting for 365 by the time the meet rolls around in 4 weeks.

DAVIDHARDY
03-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Whats up Paul! Didn't know you had one of these; I'm in! One of these days, I'll be glad to compete against guys like you, Layne, Rob, and Steve!

fltallpaul
03-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Whats up Paul! Didn't know you had one of these; I'm in! One of these days, I'll be glad to compete against guys like you, Layne, Rob, and Steve!

I have no doubt you will. You already have what it takes to win a class and an overall isn't far behind. Keep working hard and get that Pro Card.

DAVIDHARDY
03-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Strong ass training bro! 10lbs loss in a week sure is a kick in the dick but like you said it was mostly water. Your wrists don't kill you going that heavy on bench?

fltallpaul
03-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Strong ass training bro! 10lbs loss in a week sure is a kick in the dick but like you said it was mostly water. Your wrists don't kill you going that heavy on bench?

My wrists don't hurt by my forearms get very tight when I am lifting. You notice I grab my arm after the lift, its this tense feeling when I get done. It only hurts when I let go of the bar. I have been using the thumbless grip my whole life and just recently switched so this is causing some discomfort.

DAVIDHARDY
03-23-2010, 02:20 PM
I use the thumbless grip for a lot of things. I love it, especially for deads.

fltallpaul
03-25-2010, 08:36 AM
I use the thumbless grip for a lot of things. I love it, especially for deads.

I use thumbless when doing double overhand but when using the switch grip I don't. I have long fingers which allow me to wrap but in the PL meets you can use that type of grip.

fltallpaul
03-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Wednesday March 24th, 2010
Squats
225x5, 245x2, 275x3, 285x3, 275x3, 225x5
Sissy Squats with Med bands
5drop5, 6drop3, 8drop1, 4drop2
Deadlift
225x10, 315x8, 365x3, 385x1, 405x1, 425x1
Back at the squats again and they started out great. I got 275 for 3 on the first working set without a problem. The next two sets I needed a spot to get out of the hole but powere the rest of the way. I am starting to feel more comfortable with the bar on my back. I really think a short squat program like Smolov or something along this lines is what I am going to do after this meet in a few weeks. I know I can rep 405 once I really start to make some progress. It may take a year but I will get there. The sissy squats were torture and I had more blood in my quads than I have ever felt. The entire front of my leg was swollen like I got stung. Although I am not very strong at those I really feel them and enjoy them.
I won't be around friday since I am going to LA so I decided to do a few quick sets of deadlifts. At first this was difficult but as the blood left my legs a bit they felt better. 425 is actually a raw Personal Record for me. I was going by feel and decided why not since 405 felt really light. 425 felt really light as well and I am confident that 450 will go up at the meet. Maybe by August I can get 500, that would be my long term goal for now.
I leave tonight for Los Angeles to catch up with one of my best friends. Brett played college basketball at St. Leo University and is being inducted into thier HOF in a few weeks. He is flying over from Australia for a few weeks and we always have an amazing time together. I am meeting him in LA for a few days before he comes back to Florida. There are sure to be some amazing times ahead. I will take lots of pictures and have some stories to tell.
Just so happens that a friend of mine is competing in the Culver City NPC show this Saturday in the bikini division. This is her first time on stage although she is a model so it shouldn't be too difficult for her to prance around. I will be attending the pre judging on Saturday for that since its only about 10 minutes from Playa Del Rey where we play volleyball.
This is Carrie, I think she will do very well!
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4057/4244755903_d6662bf900.jpg

jacshelb
03-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Damn, hello Carrie! Oh yeah, and good liftin' too! :)

fltallpaul
04-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Monday April 12th, 2009

ME Flat Bench

135x5, 160x5, 190x5, 225x5, 250x5, 275x3, 300x2, 325x2, 340x1, 350x1

Bent Over Rows
135x10, 185x5, 205x5, 225x3, 245x2

High Cable Pulldowns, Narrow Grip
140x5, 160x5, 190x5, 220x5, 240x5, 250x3

Side Lateral DB Raise
30x5, 35x5, 40x3, 45x2

Back at it again this week and I am going heavy for the first few workouts. I will be training with Layne on Friday and Saturday which will be hypertrophy type workouts. My training for the week will look like this.

Mon Heavy Chest\Back\Shoulders
Tues Heavy Legs\Hams\Calves
Wed Heavy Tris\Bis
Thurs Off
Fri Hypertrophy Chest\Back
Sat Hypertrophy Legs
Sun off

I will also be attending the Pre judging for the Europa show in Orlando on Friday and the expo and night show on Saturday. I didn't get to go last year and was disapointed but this year will be a good time. Probably see a lot of familiar faces from the gyms I train at. YouTube- French Toast

fltallpaul
04-14-2010, 07:50 AM
Tuesday April 13th, 2010
ME Squats
135x5, 160x5, 185x5, 210x5, 235x5, 260x3, 285x1
Deadlift
135x10, 225x5, 315x3, 365x1, 385x1, 405x1
Single Leg Curl
50x10, 80x5, 90x5
Tonight was my first full night back in the gym after a short layoff during vacation. My squat is by far my weakest lift and will be the focus of my training until I feel it is sufficient. My goal for my first meet is 400lb squat, 400lb bench, and a 500lb deadlift. I am currently close on the bench and deadlifts but squat...nope. If I am not making enough progress squatting twice a week I may try to use the Smolov routine. First I will give using the Westside principals a try and see where that takes me.
Tonight is going to be Arms, Calves and Abs. Thursday is off and Friday is Chest and Back with Layne at Gold's in Orlando. We may even have the workout filmed for a video.

Diabetic Muscle
04-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Nice deadlifts and that would be pretty awesome to have it videoed.

jacshelb
04-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Good to see you back!

fltallpaul
04-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Nice deadlifts and that would be pretty awesome to have it videoed.

I have been in contact with the video guy so its going to happen. I am not sure how long it will take him to edit it and get it online bet we will see. I will post a link here for sure.

Good to see you back!

Thanks buddy it was a nice break but now I am ready to tear some shit up!

fltallpaul
04-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Wednesday April 14th, 2010

Skull Crushers, Camber Bar
75x10, 95x5, 115x5, 125x5, 135x5, 145x3, 155x2

Hammer Strength Tricep Dip
220lbsx12 3 sets

Preacher Curl
75x10, 95x8, 95x8

Hammer Curl
40x10, 40x12

Superset Cable pressdown with Concentration Curls
80x12\30x8 for 3 sets

It's been a while since I went to the gym to do just arms. It felt kind of odd to not be jumping on the squats, Dl's or bench. I did get an amazing pump by the time I left my shirt sleeves were incredibly tight. I always enjoy the pump I get when I do some decent weight and volume. I can walk into the gym feeling deflated and uninspired but when I look over and see veins in my bi's and tri's and the feeling of being swollen its as if I am Arnold himself. I had a nice night at home after that. I cleaned a bit since Layne and Isabel are coming over, watched some baseball and added one late night meal.
I am looking forward to meeting a few guys from the boards at the Expo this weekend. I am sure there will be more than a few familiar faces there. Rob from Scivation is going too so there will be some good stuff going on.

DAVIDHARDY
04-15-2010, 09:05 AM
When you're doing PL training, you son't still do things like arms and calves? I always thought that PLs would really benefit from incorporating some bodybuilding stuff into their routines. Powerbuilding I guess. Seems like you'd be both big and strong.

fltallpaul
04-15-2010, 09:14 AM
When you're doing PL training, you son't still do things like arms and calves? I always thought that PLs would really benefit from incorporating some bodybuilding stuff into their routines. Powerbuilding I guess. Seems like you'd be both big and strong.

Yeah I was doing every body part but I was doing them after a heavy movement. I never went in the gym just for calves, or arms. That's why the workout was odd.

DAVIDHARDY
04-15-2010, 09:15 AM
yeah i was doing every body part but i was doing them after a heavy movement. I never went in the gym just for calves, or arms. That's why the workout was odd.

oic

fltallpaul
04-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Monday April 19th, 2010
ME Bench Press
135x5, 160x5, 185x5, 225x5, 250x5, 275x3, 315x2, 340x1, 350x1, 365x1
Wide Grip Pullups
BWx6 3 sets
Narrow Grip Low Cable Row
210x5, 225x5, 240x5
Tricep Pressdown
95x12, 120x10, 120x8
Preacher Curl
95x5, 105x5, 115x5
After taking Sunday off I was itching to get back into the gym. I have been eating like a horse...literally, hay and oats. Ok maybe not but after seeing how dedicated Layne is right now with his diet it really got me back into the mindset to put more effort into my diet. With my clothes on at the gym the scale said 243. Ofcourse this made pullups a bit tougher but I will get back to doing 10 at this weight soon enough. The cool part of the workout for me was the 365 on the bench. I have never put that much on the bar. Being my last set I was a little beat from the previous few but 350 went up so easy I figured I would give it a shot. I used the PL style and lowered slowly, I pressed and got the bar to my sticking point a few inches above my chest, my training partner tapped it through that section and then I powered it up to lockout on my own. I now know I can get 365 at a meet. This is very exciting, tonight I am going to kill some squats with some advice from Layne and try standing a bit more narrow. Regardless I had no knee pain on Saturday so tonight is going to be sweet.
Quake 10.0
Last night was my first time using Quake. I only took two scoops since I have backed off the pre workout blasts from during my prep. I took two scoops one hour after eating and 30 minutes before the workout. There were no Beta Alanine tingles, not huge rush of energy or anything like VasoCharge does, ofcourse I only took half a serving. 30 minutes into the workout my friend Adam asked me how I liked the Quake and I honestly had forgotten I took it. It's amazing how smooth the energy and focus hits you. I had so much energy that I wanted to do some cardio at the end of my workout so I rode the bike for a few minutes. I am excited to use Quake going forward, this weekend I will get Misty to give me her review as well. VasoCharge was too strong for her so perhaps she will enjoy this more.

fltallpaul
04-21-2010, 07:45 AM
Tuesday April 21st, 2010

ME Squat
135x5, 160x5, 185x5, 210x5, 235x5, 260x5, 285x3, 300x1, 235x8

Smith Low Partial Deadlift
225x10, 315x6, 405x5, 425x3, 445x1

Seated Calf Raise
205x5 6 sets

This night will go down in history as the night which I finally found my groove with the squat. I watched a video earlier in the day regarding hip drive and when I went to the gym and started squatting it finally clicked. With each set my confidence grew. Despite not having a spotter i hit each set with complete depth and felt no discomfort anywhere. The mistake I was making was trying to stand up straight. I was taught to look up at when starting each rep. What I found last night is that by looking slightly down my back stayed flat and I drove the weight out of the hole with my hips more. Even when I got up to 300lbs I felt great. I would have added more but without a spotter I just dropped back to 235 and finished with some good reps.

Here is the video I watched.
yha2XAc2qu8

I also intended to do some deadlifts but my hamstrings were still fried from Saturday's workout with Layne. Even after warming up and squatting so I decided on some low partials in the rack.

Tonight is an off night and I should be recording my workouts the rest of the week with the videographer from SimplyShredded.com, I am looking forward to that.

fltallpaul
04-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Thursday April 22nd, 2010
Wide Grip Pullups
BWx10, BWx8, BWx6
Tbar Rows
3platesx10, 4platesx10, 5platesx8, 5platesx10, 5+25x6
Incline DB Bench
130x8, 130x5, 100x8
Narrow Grip Cable Pulldown
170x10, 180x10, 190x8, 180x8
Flat Bench
225x10, 225x10, 225x8
Incline DB Flyes SS with Cable Rows
45x10\120x10 55x10, 130x10 70x8\130x10
Quick pump set
17pushups\13 lat pulldowns
Last night was a unique night in the gym. I had a videographer from SimplyShredded.com contact we a week ago about shooting some video. I had hoped to get the workouts with Layne recorded but Gold's was not flexible regarding taping. So I arranged to meet with Billy this week at a smaller gym called Universal Power and Fitness. This is the gym where I have been doing my powerlifting for the last few months. The owner didn't mind at all so we are going to record a few days worth of workouts.
A few notes about the workout. First, I haven't been doing my typical bodybuilding routine lately so my endurance sucks. I faded quickly on just about everything I did which I don't necesarily mind. I still got a sick pump and felt completely gassed at the end. Also the gym's DB's go from 100 to 130. I wanted to use 120 for 3 sets of 10 on Incline DB press but opted for the 130's since there were none, obviously my endurance didn't last at all here.
Once the footage is available I will post a link here, we are going to do the voiceover for last nights workout today, then go a record a leg workout. I will include my Dynamic Effort Squats so I can display the form I was referring to earlier.

jacshelb
04-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Good stuff man, that's dedication! I bet that was good to train with Layne! (sorry I have rhymes on my brain, even though I know they're lame...)

fltallpaul
04-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Good stuff man, that's dedication! I bet that was good to train with Layne! (sorry I have rhymes on my brain, even though I know they're lame...)

Training with Layne was great...its always fun to be pushed instead of being the one doing the pushing.

fltallpaul
04-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Friday April 23rd, 2010
Squats
185x10, 205x10, 225x10, 225x10
Leg Press
4platesx12, 6platesx12, 7platesx10, 7platesx8
Leg Curl SS Calf Raise
150x12/180x12 160x12/270x10 150x12/270x10
Leg Extension SS DB Lunges
205x12/45x16 205x12/45x10
This was the second day of shooting with SimplyShredded. Friday night I had legs and I went in alone looking forward to killing every fiber south of my belly button. Squats felt great once again. Doing sets with 225 is very satisfying to me. I really feel like I have turned a corner and will start making serious progress from here on out. Tuesday night will be heavy squat night again and I plan on moving up a few lbs. The leg press is somethign I haven't done in a while. For this reason I feel the first two exercises really took alot out of me. By the time I got to the leg extension\lunge supersets I was planning on 3-4 sets. On my second set of lunges I actually couldn't get up after 10...I had to drop the weight and sit down. I don't have my endurance completely back yet so I know when enough is enough. Each week I will add a set, increase the weight or find another way to get better.
Friday night Misty got home and we went to dinner at Pei Wei, an Asian Bistro which is operated by P.F. Chang's. Everything is going really well right now so I am just going to keep this momentum going!
I took the rest of the weekend off due to a few things, one was a volleyball party all day Saturday that we do every year. Sunday I had to start shopping for furniture and appliances for my new house that I move into on Friday if closing goes well. I also cooked some food for the week and started packing. My scedule next weekend is going to be crazy so I will probably workout every day and take friday\saturday\sunday off while we are moving.
Nothing like grilling out on Sunday afternoon.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/Random/chicken.jpg

AVBG
04-26-2010, 08:17 AM
I like the food pic Paul! Good luck with the new house too.

MusclesMarinara
04-26-2010, 06:12 PM
just noticed you had a training log. will be following from now on.

im not tall by average standards but 5'10 is pretty tall for bodybuilding so i find this very inspiring.

fltallpaul
04-27-2010, 07:54 AM
I like the food pic Paul! Good luck with the new house too.

Thanks, I am sure Friday I will be stressed but once the house is mine I will be exhuberant....

just noticed you had a training log. will be following from now on.

im not tall by average standards but 5'10 is pretty tall for bodybuilding so i find this very inspiring.

Thanks MM, yeah hieght is not necissarly a great trait for bodybuilders but I believe with time it can be an advantage.

fltallpaul
04-27-2010, 08:07 AM
Monday April 26th, 2010
Close Grip bench press
225x8, 275x6, 275x6, 275x6drop225x4
Preacher Curl
115x6, 115x6, 115x6
Skull Crusher SS Standing DB Curl
125x10\40x10, 125x10\40x10, 125x8\40x10
Cable Pressdown SS Concentration Curl
150x15\30x10, 175x12\30x10
Usually Monday is my heavy upper day but with my schedule being all complicated over the weekend and this coming week I am just going to do what I can when I can. I spoke with my friend Alex Stewart who works for Betancourt. He will be in town for the next few days so we are going to get in some workouts together. His schedule fit mine really well so I figured why not jump in with a new partner this week and see what shakes out. Tonight we hit legs, then shoulder on Wednesday and Back on Thursday. I will most likely take off the rest of the weekend while I close on my house and move in. Monday I should be back on track and ready to use the Power\Hypertrophy split.
This was also the third day filming with SimplyShredded.com. Billy actually trained with me a bit which was cool. We got back to my house and did the voice over work, chatted about the format for the videos and agreed to do some more in the future. I will definitely have to get him in to film Layne and I when he is back. I also have some ideas regarding being a correspondant for SimplyShredded, maybe interviewing some people within the industry at big shows...we shall see.

jacshelb
04-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Good training man. I'm still amazed by your strength- especially knowing what goes into pressing and squatting with longer limbs!

fltallpaul
04-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Good training man. I'm still amazed by your strength- especially knowing what goes into pressing and squatting with longer limbs!

Thanks Jacob, just trying to get my grow on...doing a PL meet in August as well and don't want to embarass myself, lol.

jacshelb
04-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Good luck at the powerlifting meet!

fltallpaul
04-28-2010, 08:00 AM
Tuesday April 28th, 2009

Squats
185x8, 225x5, 275x5, 295x3, 295x3

SLDL on platform
170x12, 200x10, 200x10, 200x10

Hack Squats
360x10, 380x8, 400x6

Leg Extensions
90x15, 90x15, 90x15

Single Leg Curl
70x10, 80x10, 90x6drop50x6

Seated Calf Raise
135x10, 145x10, 155x10, 165x10, 165x10

Standing Calf Raise
200x10, 220x10, 240x10, 250x10, 260x10drop200x6drop140x6

Yesterday afternoon I got a text from my friend Alex Stewart. For those who have been around the boards for a while Alex used to have a video series on bodybuilding.com. I recognized him in the gym one day while he was visiting and we struck up a converstation. A few months ago he called me up after seeing my pictures in a magazine. I also saw him at the Europa expo. He is working for a company called Betancourt nutrition and is in town from time to time. While he is here this week he wanted a workout partner. We went in last night and did some leg damage...tonight we are going to hit shoulders, then back on Thursday. It was great having a guy to train legs with who lifts properly and is strong, I felt motivated to kill it each set.

On a side note my left knee is acting up again. I thought I was past it but perhaps I will need to see a specialist. The only time it bothers me is when I have to extend it and put wieght resistance on it. Almost feels like tendonitis. I was able to ignore it for the most part the the leg extensions really felt the brunt of it. I stayed real light with those and just really held at the top for a count since that didn't bother me at all. I am going to be more consistant with my Glucosamine and Fish Oils for a few more weeks and if it persists I will have it checked out.
Also, the video is available on youtube. Not sure if this is the final version so this link may get changed but here is the first full test of the Back\Chest workout. Give me some feedback of things that could be better. I have a lot of say so as to what goes into these videos. Thanks. The high def version is still uploading, once that's done you can choose up to 1080p.

_c6XX4jP7D0

fltallpaul
04-29-2010, 08:12 AM
Wednesday April 28th, 2010

Military Barbell Press
135x10, 175x10, 195x6, 195x6

DB Side laterals
25x12, 30x10, 35x10, 35x10drop20x10drop10x10

Smith Upright Rows
95x10, 95x10, 95x10drop45x10

Machine Lateral Raise
80x15, 120x15, 140x12drop80x8

Tonight was another night of recording with SimplyShredded. My friend Alex Stewart was in town so he came along and hit shoulders with me. He will also be in the gym for a back workout tomorrow although we aren't going to record that one. I don't usually set aside a night for shoulders only but I sure enjoyed this workout. Every fiber front to back was taxed when we left. It's great to have a training partner who ups the intensity and keeps pushing each set to out do the last one.

It's been a great week in the gym and I feel invigorated, good things are coming!

fltallpaul
05-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Thursday April 1st, 2010

Wide Grip Pullups
bwx10, bwx8, bwx8, bwx7

Bent Over Rows
225x8, 225x8, 225x8

High Cable Pulldown\facing away from machine(takes away momentum from legs)
150x12, 150x12, 150x12drop80x8

Hammer Strength ISO low row
90x12, 100x12, 100x12

Hammer Strength Pullover Machine
180x12, 180x12, 180x12

Low Partial Deadlifts(rack deads)
315x5, 365x5, 405x5, 425x5

This was the last workout of the week with Alex. Three nights in a row we killed it and had a great time. Alex likes to use Thursday night as his free meal. I took him to a local place where the best burgers are made in Orlando. Misty came with us along with our dog Madeline and we had a nice time sitting outside talking about life. This was also my last workout of the week. I am taking three days off to get ready for the power\hypertropy split. I am going to be training with my friend Adam for the next few weeks so we can push each other. The power portion of this program really requires a good spotter for max effort.

Here is the latest SimplyShredded Video, legs...
j46IZh5ljiY

fltallpaul
05-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Monday May 4th, 2010

Upper Body Power

Supported T Bar Rows
180x5, 90x10

Wide Grip Pullups
BWx8 3 sets

Flat Bench
225x5, 275x3, 315x5

Incline DB Press
125x8

Incline DB Fly
60x8, 60x8

Standing Barbell Curl
135x5

Military Barbell Press
185x8, 185x8

Skull Crushers
125x8, 125x8

First night of heavy lifting with Adam and it was a great night in the gym. We moved pretty fast except for a few times we had to wait for machines. Monday night at 7 is pretty crazy at our gym.

Since we have never lifted before and I am not too sure where my 5 rep max is at I decided we should do a feeler day. Next week we will start with our periodization and up into new 5 rep maxes. Instead of using Bent over rows I wanted to save my back a bit so we are going to use the supported t bar rows. I got 4 plates for 5 so I am hoping to add another plate for 5 at the end. I got 315 for 5 pretty easy on bench so I think maybe 325 or 330 for 5 at the end will be good. Tonight we will be doing legs and squats are going to be the name of the game...I expect the biggest gains in squats so tonight is going to be key!

jacshelb
05-05-2010, 02:16 AM
Nice pressing! Good vids too. Thanks for posting all that!

fltallpaul
05-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Nice pressing! Good vids too. Thanks for posting all that!

No problem glad you liked it.

fltallpaul
05-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Tuesday May 4th, 2010

Heavy Lower Day

Squat 55%
165x5 5 sets

Hack Squat
360x8, 410x5

SLDL
275x5, 315x5

Standing Calf Raise
300x8 3 sets

Seated Calf Raise
180x8, 205x6

Heavy lower day and it was a good one. Adam and I are pretty close on leg strength so it will be fun to compete with him over the next few weeks and see where we end up. My knee is bothering me a bit so instead of Leg Extensions we did Heavy Hacks. Everything felt good and I got a good feel for where to go next week with the 70% lifts. Tonight is an off night which will be a nice rest before we head into the hypertrophy stuff.

Got home in time to watch the Magic make the Hawks look silly. I turned the game off in the 4th when the Magic were up by 44, yeah it was bad. The Magic's second team would make the playoffs in the eastern conference which is scary.

On another note I watched the movie Twins with Arnold and Dannie. This movie came out in 1988 well after Arnold had given up bodybuilding yet he still looked freaking huge. It makes me laugh when I read people saying how Arnold would not win a Regional NPC show in the current environment. I imagine Arnold would do very well still, he had amazing shape and size well after he retired. I love it when Danny Devito starts asking arnold if he is allergic to something when he has his shirt off in the store, lol.
http://www.zuguide.com/image/Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Twins.3.jpg

fltallpaul
05-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Thursday May 7th, 2010

Back and Chest Hypertrophy

Tbar Row Supported
115x10, 115x10, 115x10

Seated Low Cable Row
165x10, 180x10, 195x10

DB Row
80x12, 90x12, 90x12

Lat Pulldown
145x12, 160x12, 175x12

Pullover Machine
200x15, 200x15

Flat Bench
210x10, 210x10, 210x10

Hammer Strength Incline Press
270x10, 290x10, 270x10

Pec Fly
90x12, 90x12, 90x12

DB Stretch
65 for 60 seconds

First night in the gym with Adam for our hypertrophy day and it was really good. We kept a fast pace up until the end and managed a great pump. Tonight was alot of finding the weights which I will use going forward. From experience I know the numbers on hypertrophy day will climb considerably as the weeks pass and the body apapts. Flat bench felt really good in particular. The pullovers at the end of the back workout were just brutal, such a burn in the lat the last few reps I guess as the lactic acid builds up but can't escape due to the position of the arms. Tonight is legs hypertrophy so another first for Adam and I, should be a good one.

fltallpaul
05-10-2010, 10:43 AM
May 7, 2010

Squat 70%
195x10 3 sets

Hack Squat
360x10, 360x10, 360x8

Leg Extensions
50x12 3 sets

DB Walking Lunges
35's x 32 steps

SLDL 70%
205x10x3

Single Leg Curls
70x12, 80x15, 90x10

Standing Calf Raises
200x12 4 sets

Seated Calf Raises
135x12 3 sets

First week of the hypertrophy leg day training with Adam and it was a good one. I am still having an issue with my knee but only on leg extensions. It's only my left knee and doesn't affect me during squats. It did hurt a bit during the DB lunges but i just fought through it. I will schedule a doctors appointment if it continues this week.

I was happy to get two full sets of 10 with 4 plates on the hack after squats. I will shoot for all 3 sets next time. I failed on the last set at 8 but that's ok...I truly failed as I couldn't move it up but a few inches. I am excited with how my body is adapting. I feel I am looking leaner and more thick at the same time. The 6 weeks of power\hypertrophy should yeild some great results.

Saturday May 8th, 2010

Decline Skull Crushers
125x10, 125x10, 135x8

HS Dip Machine
180x12, 230x12, 270x12

Barbell Curls 65%
80x10 3 sets

Seated Hammer Curls
30x10x2, 35x10

Triceps pressdown SS Concentration Curls
72x12/30x10, 80x12/30x10

Seated Military Press
185x10 3 sets

DB Side Laterals
30x10, 35x10, 30x10

Machine Laterals
110x15 3 sets

Saturday afternoon in the gym and it was a good first arm\shoulder hypertrophy. I am still feeling a bit of tendon soreness from the workout so I know my body needs to adapt a bit more. Overall the week was perfect with the exception of my knee. I believe this is just a tiny set back and as long as I can squat heavy I am fine with it. These workouts will become more and more demanding in the coming weeks as the first week for me was just about finding where I am at strength and endurance wise. Adam is going to be in for a shock when I start adding weight every set I can as the weeks role by. He is up for the challenge though which will be fun and keep me motivated.

jacshelb
05-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Hope the knee gets feeling better. Are you going to throw out leg extensions? That's something I had to do because of my right knee. Various squats and leg presses don't hurt it, but leg extensions, lunges and back squats do.

fltallpaul
05-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Hope the knee gets feeling better. Are you going to throw out leg extensions? That's something I had to do because of my right knee. Various squats and leg presses don't hurt it, but leg extensions, lunges and back squats do.

I might take off this week and see how that does. In the long run I will want the issue resolved but for now I will try a few remedies. I am going to get some Cissus from Scivation and skip extensions and see how that helps. It's been strange, one week its hurts, the next it doesn't. Mostly I am happy I can still squat.

fltallpaul
05-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Tuesday May 11th, 2010

Heavy Lower Power Day 70%

Squat
210x5, 210x5, 210x5, 210x5

Single Leg Press
65x8, 105x8

SLDL
220x5, 220x5, 220x5, 220x5

Standing Calf Raise
300x8, 325x8, 325x8

Seated Calf Raise
205x8, 225x6

Week 2 for lower power and it was pretty smooth. I am skipping the leg extensions until i have my knee looked at in a few weeks. Squats, presses and everything are fine so I will just avoid what bothers me for now. I am looking forward to moving up with squats over the next few weeks. Squatting twice a week is really starting to pay off, I feel at home under the squat bar now. Instead of being worried about form or breathing I am now in a zone where my focus is on the weight. I am still very conscience of my form but now its more natural. The SLDL's are also feeling quite nice. I am hoping that going heavy on them while taking time off from full deads will yeild some dividends when I get back into the Powerlifting meet training.

I found some pictures I had not seen from my show in November that I really like...here they are just for fun.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/OCB%20Midwest%20States%202009/SideChestOverall.jpg http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/OCB%20Midwest%20States%202009/SideChestOverall2.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/OCB%20Midwest%20States%202009/RearDubFinals.jpg

DAVIDHARDY
05-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Nice pics, Paul! Inspiring for sure.

fltallpaul
05-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Nice pics, Paul! Inspiring for sure.

Thanks David, hoping to make those pictures look amatuer by comparison next year.

fltallpaul
05-17-2010, 07:44 AM
Thursday May 13th, 2010

Supported T Bar Row
115x10 3 sets

Wide Grip Pullup
BWx8 3 sets

Low Cable Row Narrow Grip
180x10, 210x10, 210x10

Single Arm DB Row
90x12, 100x12, 100x12

Lat Pulldown
160x12, 175x12, 175x12

Pullover Machine
200x15, 200x15

Flat Bench
210x10 3 sets

270x10, 320x10, 290x10

Cable Flyes
35x12, 40x12, 45x12

Flat Bench DB stretch
60x60 seconds

Friday May 14th, 2010

Squat
205x10 3 sets

Hack Squat
360x10, 360x10, 360x11

Leg Extension
190x12 3 sets

Front Squat
95x15

SLDL
225x10 3 sets

Single Leg Curl
80x12, 90x12, 90x12

Standing Calf Raise
220x12, 4 sets

Seated Calf Raise
160x15 3 sets

Saturday May 15th, 2010

Standing Barbell Curl
95x10 3 sets

Hammer Curl
45x10, 40x10, 40x10

Skull Crushers
125x10, 130x10, 135x10

Hammer Strength Dip
270x12, 270x12, 270x12

Tricep Cable Pressdown Superset with Concentration curls
90x15 ss 30x10, 90x15 ss 30x10

The conclusion to week 2 of the power hypertrophy split and the body is starting to adapt already. I was stronger on every lift this week. I was very excited to get all 3 sets on the hack squat with 4 plates per side for 10 reps. Next week i will add a few lbs. Sunday was a much needed rest day as I could really feel my body requesting time off from the gym. I wasn't sore in the traditional sense but i did notice a few times throughout the day that I was stiff in certain areas. Week 3 should be a challenge since we are upping the weights on heavy days and I am moving into my new house all week as well. I will also be going to the Tuesday night Magic game so I plan on getting in the gym really early for heavy legs and getting to the game early...its a late start at 8 for TV which will help. This Saturday the 22nd is also the OCB show run by Nicole Weeks which I will be attending, should be a good time.

fltallpaul
05-18-2010, 07:26 AM
Monday May 17th, 2010

Heavy Upper Body 82.5%

Supported T bar Rows
150x5, 150x5, 150x5

Wide Grip Pullups
BWx8, BWx8, BWx8 (245 on gym scale)

Flat Bench
275x5, 275x5, 275x5

Incline DB Flyes
75x8, 80x8

Standing Barbell Curls
110x5, 110x5, 110x5

Hammer Strength Dip Machine
420x8, 420x8

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press
190x10, 240x10

Great day to be back in the gym. Funny but even one day off right now feels like forever. I am excited at the progress Adam and I are making and in the next few weeks we will be pushing ourselves to some PR's with our big lifts. Flat bench felt like nothing with 275 so that's a good sign. I may try 235-245 for 5 reps in a few weeks depending on how next week and the following week go...sheeeet gets real, quick!

Monday night and the gym was packed, we had all the charachters. Take up three machines at once guy, deadlift 225 like its 600 guy, too much PDA in the gym couple and a few new people looking lost. Tonight I am closing on my house and going to the Magic game so we have pushed back the workout to Wednesday. This will be a welcome change for this week as owning a home is something I have been thinking about for the last few years.

fltallpaul
05-20-2010, 08:20 AM
Wednesday May 19th, 2010

Heavy Lower 82.5%

Squats
250x5, 250x5, 250x5, 135x20

SLDL
275x5, 275x5, 275x5

Standing Calf Raise
345x8, 345x8, 345x8

Seated Calf Raise
225x8, 225x8

Adam and I moved the second power workout from Tuesday to Wednesday. The reason was originally so I could close on my house and not stress the workout. Well the closing has been pushed back and it is today at 3. I think things are finally in order so as long as everything goes to plan we will be fine. Squats felt fine....250 felt a bit heavy but I had no problem getting sets. Next week I will be doing 270 for heavy sets so that should be interesting. Hamstrings are really getting strong at 275 felt really light. I have a feeling my 5 rep max on hamstrings is going to be much higher than I thought.

Another note from the gym. I watched a guy do squats with 315, normal enough, except for the fact that he does not hold the bar with his hands. He rests the bar on his traps and as he squats he puts his hands on his knees giving himself a spot I guess. The exercise looks pretty impressive but I just can't figure out why he does it. Strange to say the least.

I close on my house today at 3, back and chest tonight at 7.

Last night I played in a softball game for the first time in a few years. I played so much softball a few years ago I ended up playing for a sponsored team traveling around the southeast and got really burnt out. Last night was a social league which is really relaxed. My first at bat I popped up to the outfield, yeah I was rusty. However my next two at bats were homeruns so I still got it, lol.

fltallpaul
05-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Thursday May 20th, 2010

Supported Tbar Rows
110x10 3 sets

Low Cable rows narrow grip
180x12 3 sets

DB Rows
100x12 3 sets

Lat Pulldowns
160x12 3 sets

Hammer Strength Pullovers
180x15, 180x15

Flat Bench
210x10 3 sets

320x10, 280x10, 280x10

Cable Flyes
25x15, 35x15

DB Stretch
60 seconds with 60lbs

Today's workout was only the icing to a legendary day in my life. I closed on my first house at 2:30 and for the first time I am a homeowner. The process started a few months ago with getting approved, finding the right place, getting the financing in order but its official. I look forward to making this home my own. It has never been lived in so I get to really persnoalize it. All the walls are still white and the floors are all hard wood. I will get some pictures up as the process goes, here are two for now. The next big challenge is going to be moving out of my current house and into the new one. Ofcourse I will call in a few friends to help but its going to be the last move I make for a long long time which is a great feeling.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/bc3c02eb.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/525396ad.jpg

This weekend is also the OCB southeastern in Sanford. I spoke with Nicole Weeks earlier and they have enough competitors in thier second year for this to a be Pro Qualifier next year. This is very exciting news for Nicole as it should draw some new interest going forward. I will be at both shows representing Scivation..should be lots of fun.

Shadow
05-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Congrats on becoming a homeowner!

fltallpaul
05-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Congrats on becoming a homeowner!

Thanks, its a lot to do right now...but its pretty rewarding.

fltallpaul
05-24-2010, 08:19 AM
What an amazing weekend. Only now that I can sit down and take a deep breath do I realize just how much got done. Basically since Friday night I have not stopped moving except to eat, sleep and use the restroom. Friday after work was Legs and Adam and I killed it. We got in early and decided to keep a quicker pace than normal just to mix it up. I did squats with 185 for sets of 10 and hack squats with 4 plates per side for 3 sets of 10 as well. Stiff Legged Deadlifts with 225 felt great as well and all the other work just added to the intensity.

Friday night after the gym Misty and I made a few trips over to the new house and started taking a few things. Only when you start to move do you realize just how much stuff you have accumulated. After a few trips and a few meals we went to bed around midnight.

Saturday morning I got up at 6:30am to prepare for my day. Misty had to orgranize the house for the move on Sunday morning while I attended the OCB Southeastern States. Nicole Weeks puts on an amazing show. She flies judges in from around the country so there is no favoritism or local prejudice. With 46 individual competitors this year the show will now be a Pro Qualifier next year. I worked with her and Rob Moran to get everything setup for a Demo at the show. Scivation also gave each class winner an Apple Xtend. Here are a few pics from the show.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/20d4c37a.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/71ed09c9.jpg

In between the morning and night show I drove home, went and bought a refrigerator, and met Adam for an arm workout. Just because I am busy doesn't mean this muscle train stops for a second. After an awesome arm workout which was all Supersets for Bi's and Tri's together I went to my old place, showered and got right back on the road to the night show. My friend John (UCFBuilder) on the boards was in the Novice Short Class and had what I thought was the best package in his class, I was excited to see how he would fare. I also had a few friends like Rob and Adam show up to support Nicole's show and get some motivation. I handed out a ton of samples of Quake and also sampled some Xtend in little cups.
Watermelon and Grape were the flavors and got rave reviews.

John ended up winning his class and posed down in the overall with the tall class novice winner. John had a ton more muscle and was just as lean, however his color was very light and his posing could use a little work. John's legs and back are already Pro caliber. When he brings up his arms and chest to match he is going to be a freaking force. He lost the overall probably due to color, presentation and confidence. It was close and the judges even told him he would have had it were his color better. Oh well, John was excited and it was fun to root for him in the overall.

After the show I flew back home to watch the Magic game...well that was a freaking disaster so Misty and I took a few more things over to the new house and got to bed around 1. I got up at 7:30 and got the Uhaul truck. At 9 we started loading it up and the day was under way. I had a bunch of friends help me out which was a life saver. After two truck loads of the Uhaul...a 17 footer, a refrigerator delivery, a washer and dyer pickup from 30 minutes away and a ton of stairs (my house is a 3 story) We finally got to relax about 7pm. I took all my boys out for burgers to say thank you and will be having them over for World Cup VS England and the UFC that night. Misty and I stopped moving about 11pm as we just didn't have any more energy. I still have soooooo much stuff to do at the house but its going to be fun to do since its actually my house.

Tonight is Upper Power with Adam and I am prepared to push some weight, and then do some more work at the house.
Four day weekend coming up and its all about the house and the gym next weekend!

fltallpaul
05-25-2010, 07:49 AM
Monday May 25th, 2010
Supported T Bar Rows
160x5, 160x6, 160x5

Flat Bench
290x5, 290x5, 290x5

Wide Grip Pullups
BWx8, BWx8, BWx8

Incline DB Flyes
80x8, 90x8

280x8, 280x8

Standing Barbell Curls
120x5, 120x5, 120x5

Skull Crushers
145x6, 145x6

Thank Marc for Solution 5. All weekend my diet was erratic because of the move. The only constant was Solution 5 which was probably half my meals. Yesterday was more of the same. Although I have moved into the house I am still getting back to normal. I have not cooked my food for the week so my routine is all kinds of wacky. I wasn't sure how the gym would go as I was on my feet so much this weekend and got minimal sleep. To my surprise everything felt pretty easy. The pullups which have been a struggle at 245 were pretty easy for 3 sets of 8. Flat bench was at 90% so the 290 felt very easy which gives me hope for 235 for sets of 5 in a few weeks. Overall it was a great workout which should fuel the power leg workout for tonight.

I also found out my friend Benny is not going to Powerlift with me in August as he is doing the Dexter Jackson Classic in Jacksonville and the Florida State in Orlando. This will give me a chance to see him on stage so I am excited for him to do well.

fltallpaul
05-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Tuesday May 25th, 2010

Heavy Lower 90%

Squat
270x5, 3 sets, 135x20

SLDL
300x5, 3 sets

Standing Calf Raise
370x8, 3 sets

Seated Calf Raise
225x8, 225x8

Took my time warming up today and it really helped with my knee. I am still feeling it but its not getting any worse so I am hoping its just some tendonititis. I got all three sets with great depth so I have hope for next weeks sets of 300. Overall I am happy but I feel if this knee wasn't nagging me just a little bit I would be able to focus more. I am making an appointment for a specialist to find out what the deal is and get my squat up over 400.

On another note my hamstrings are feelign very strong right now. SLDL's are cake and I think max effort day may result in 5 reps in the 350-365 range. I have also noticed some growth in my calves recenty. The nice thing about this split is hitting everything twice a week really forces the body to adapt. After the 4th week I am really starting to notice some thickness in my lower half which is always a welcome addition.

fltallpaul
06-01-2010, 08:41 AM
I have not posted my workouts since last Tuesday so almost a week. Instead of posting the entire workouts I will just put up a few highlights from the last week.
Thursday May 27th
Single Arm DB rows with 100 for 3 sets of 12
HS Incline Chest Press 170 per side for 10
Friday May 28th
Hack Squat with 410lbs for 3 sets of 10
Saturday May 29th
Superset Arms and Shoulders at Gold's Gym
Monday May 31st
Supported Tbar Row 180x5 for 3 sets
Flat Bench 315x5 for 3 sets
Standing Barbell Curls 135x5 for 3 sets
Tonight is heavy Lower day and Adam and I will be going for 300x5 on squats and 335x5 on SLDL's. I feel pretty confident that it will go well. My knee has been feeling much better and my legs have felt strong lately. The hack squat with 4 plates and a quarter for all three sets of 10 is great. Now I can set my sights on 5 plates for 3 sets of 10. I am also curious to see how 335 feels.
I have also been talking with Simply Shredded and will be filming some workouts with Layne. Since Layne's gym has no problem with us filming the workouts we will be heading over there for some power workouts. I am looking at next Monday and Tuesday, more to come on that.
I have also been contacted by NaturalBodybuildingRadio and John Hansen. I may be doing an interview with them for an upcoming show which would be great. I really need to get my website up...so much to do, so little time in the day!

DAVIDHARDY
06-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Looking big, Paul.

fltallpaul
06-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Looking big, Paul.

You and I both know what it takes to look big being tall...lots of work! Thanks buddy.

fltallpaul
06-02-2010, 08:11 AM
June 1st, 2010
Lower Power day

Squat
300x4, 300x4, 300x3, 185x15

SLDL
335x5, 335x5, 335x5

Standing Calf Raise
390x8 3 sets

Seated Calf Raise
225x6, 225x6

I have been looking forward to this workout since last week. I got all sets of 90% squats and really wanted to see where I was with my 100% effort. 300 felt nice and heavy but I was still able to move it for a few good reps. For the first time ever I feel like I am squatting and not fighting the weight. What I mean by that is I am actually not focusing on balance, form, or other factors and so I can drive the weight up through my legs, lower back and hopefully this is the beginning of improvements.

The Stiff Legged Deadlifts felt really nice, I will go heavier on those going forward as well. Overall I am noticing some serious changes in my legs. I have actually been thinking of measuring them to see how much size I have added. I don't usually measure myself but maybe once or twice a year just to see where I am.

Tonight is an off night and I play a softball game, then back to the hypertrophy workouts. Although I think we are going to switch to Gold's going forward. That gym is amazing and much closer now.

DAVIDHARDY
06-02-2010, 08:15 AM
You and I both know what it takes to look big being tall...lots of work! Thanks buddy.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard! I run that through my mind every time I walk into the gym now.

jacshelb
06-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Training looks good! I like the way you go about it!

Sounds like the move is going well too.

fltallpaul
06-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard! I run that through my mind every time I walk into the gym now.

Can't go wrong with that attitude!

Training looks good! I like the way you go about it!

Sounds like the move is going well too.

Things are getting back to normal now.

fltallpaul
06-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Thursday June 3rd, 2010

Supported T bar Rows
135x10 3 sets

180x12 3 sets

Single Arm DB Rows
105x12 3 sets

Lat Pulldowns
170x12, 185x12, 185x12

Hammer Strength Pullover
180x15, 230x15

Flat Bench Speed Work
185x10 3 sets

270x12 3 sets

Cable Flyes
35x15, 30x15

incline bench Static Stretch
40lbs for 60 seconds

Last night my training partner Adam and I decided to switch things up and head over to Gold's in Dr. Phillips. The drive takes about the same time for me and the gym is much nicer, more energy, more equipment and just more of a workout atmosphere. We moved very quickly through the workout. Our pace has improved greatly and it seems the workout is over with very little effort compared to the first week when I was catching my breath the entire time. My back felt swolen and I know there is some new growth going on. I had Adam snap a couple pictures after the workout to confirm how I felt. I kept things light and fast on the chest portion as this week is a super heavy week of the Power workouts so I wanted to be fresh as possible. I still got a great pump in my chest and felt every movement. I am looking forward to switching over to incline bench for the next power movement, I would love to get 315 for 5 reps.

Tonight is another leg hypetrophy workout and we are headed back to Gold's again. I love the hack squat they have there so it will be fun to see where I am with it. I will try a set of 5 plates tonight and see if I can bang out 8 or so.

Update pictures, bodyweight post workout was 244, waking weight is 239.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/sc-8.jpghttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/rls-8.jpg

fltallpaul
06-07-2010, 07:43 AM
June 4, 2010

Leg Hypertrophy

Full Squat
185x10, 3 sets

Hack Squat
450x5, 450x4, 450x3 drop 270x10 drop 180x10

Donkey Calf Raises SS Leg Extensions
150x12 / 180x12, 220x12 / 210x12, 255x12 / 240x12, 300x12 (4 sets of
calf raises)

Front Squat
95x15

Single Leg Curls
115x15, 3 sets

SLDL
225x10, 3 sets

Seated Calf Raises
110x15, 135x15, 2 sets

June 5, 2010

Arms\Legs Hypertrophy

Barbell Curls
85x10, 3 sets

Decline Skull Crushers
115x10 3 sets

Hammer Curls SS Standing DB Triceps Extensions
45x10 / 30x10, 50x10 / 35x10, 55x12 / 35x12

Triceps Pressdown SS Concentration Curl
87x15 / 35x12, 95x15 / 35x12

HS Shoulder Press
180x12, 3 sets

DB Side Lateral Raises
30x12, 35x12, 2 sets

Machine Side Lateral Raises
75x15, 2 sets

Friday and Saturday workouts were great. We headed over to Gold's gym again and will probably make this our regular spot. The gym just has so much more to offer. I look forward to getting into Deadlifting there as the deadlift setup is really nice. Adam is anxious to start deadlifting so I know its going to be fun. I have about 8 weeks until my powerlifting meet.
Squats have been feeling great lately and I believe I just need to get stronger. The hack squat at Gold's was a little different but I still went for 5 plates. I believe my footing was a bit off but I still got a few good reps, I am making 5 plates per side for 10 reps my goal.

On arm and shoulder day I kept things pretty light and fast moving as I am going really heavy with Layne on Monday and wanted to be fresh. I leave tonight after work for Layne's place and a workout to be filmed by SimplyShredded.com. I will also probably do an interview with Layne regarding contest prep.

fltallpaul
06-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Train insane with Layne

http://www.realweighttraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/laynenorton.jpg

Monday and Tuesday were the first two of many workouts with Layne Norton. We also filmed some footage for SimplyShredded.com which should be available within a week or so depending on how soon the footage is edited. We we able to film at Layne's gym in Tampa, Powerhouse gym on N. Florida Ave. What a great gym, just an old school atmosphere with steel plates, no rules hardcore lifting going on. I almost forgot what that was like at LA fitness.

Monday night we did an Upper Body Power workout with Supported Tbar Rows and Flat Dumbell Presses as our power movements. The workout went like this.

Upper Body Power

Supported Tbar Rows
205x5, 225x5, 215x5

Narrow Grip Cable Pulldowns
210x8, 220x8, 230x8(don't recall exactly but this sounds right)

Flat DB Press
138x5, 148x5, 148x9

Cable Flyes
120x8, 120x8

Lateral DB Raise
35x10, 45x10, 45x10, 40x10/drop30x10/drop20x10/drop10x10(oh the burn!)

Preacher Curl Superset with Cable Pressdown 4 sets
I don't remember the weights, I just used what Layne was using(not as easy on the curls though...his biceps are more like quadriceps!)
So that was the end of Upper Power day. Overall I was very pleased, we did some posing afterwards for the camera in the back of the gym. I think I beat Layne in height, he wins everything else. Layne is also looking lean right now which made me feel fat by comparison but our goals are slightly different right now. I can't wait to see him on stage though...talk about epic. After we got back to the house Layne had to show off his new pool. We did some alley oops with his floating goal then did an interview for SimplyShredded. I also took some update pictures for him before we went to bed....Layne is going to bring it this year!
Lower Body Power

Squats
300x5, 300x5, 315x5(Layne Spot on last one)

SLDL
345x5, 345x5, 365x5

Superset Leg Extensions and Calf Raises

Superset Single Leg Curls and Calf Raises

So leg day with Layne. I was both excited and nervous for this. Layne used 505 and 495 for his sets of 5 and got them all. It was damn impressive to see that much weight go up and down. The video of this will be amazing. I also set a Personal Record after getting 300 for 5 two times. Last week I only got 4 on my own. So I went for 315 and got 4 solo and Layne had to help a bit on the last as I started to go back down. I still powered it up with his help and was pretty excited. Something Layne said really struck me...he said if your going heavy on squats its not like going heavy on upper body. On upper body when you go heavy it doesn't feel heavy until the last few reps...with Squats if your going heavy it will feel heavy from the first rep on and you just have to fight through it, not many people are willing to push through the pain once it hits. True words....I can't wait for the video.

We were pretty gassed after legs, we got home and ate...chatted a bit and hit the road back to Orlando. The drive from Layne's to my house is about 75 minutes. I am sure this type of training will be happening much more often. Perhaps before too long I won't have to take plates off when its Layne's turn to squat. I also look forward to deadlifting with Layne. We also saw Dom at the gym. For those who don't know Dom is a professor at USF who competed at Team Universe and has won an Overall at an NPC show as a Natural...just a huge freaking monster. I see some epic training with those guys down the road.

fltallpaul
06-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Thursday June 10th, 2010

Hammer Strength Low Row
270x10 3 sets

Low Cable Row Narrow Grip
180x12 3 sets

Single Arm DB Row
100x12 3 sets

Lat Pulldown
165x12, 180x12, 180x11

Cable Pullover
160x15 2 sets

Flat Bench
185x12 3 sets (speed work)

Hammer Strength Incline
270x10, 320x8, 270x10

Pec Fly Machine
90x12, 90x12, 70x15

Friday June 11th, 2010

Squat
185x10 3 sets (speed work)

Hack Squat
410x10, 410x8, 450x5drop270x10

Front Squat
95x15

SLDL
225x10 3 sets

Leg Extension Superset with Leg Curl
170x12 SS 70x12 3 sets

Standing Calf Raise
260x10 4 sets

Seated Calf Raise
180x12 3 sets

Saturday June 12th, 2010

Skull Crushers SS with HS Preacher Curl
125x10 SS 100x10 for 3 sets

Hammer Curls SS with HS Tricep Dip Press
50x10 SS 270x12 3 sets

Concentration Curl SS with Cable Pressdown
40x8 SS 190x15, 40x8 SS 205x15

Working out with Layne on Monday and Tuesday left me a bit achy the rest of the week. I could really feel my joints and tendons acting up all weekend. I realize I have been going heavy for a few weeks now and it might be time for a deload. Tonight I will decide based on how I feel. I may be able to power through another week or so, we shall see. I hate to back off when I am making so much progress but I realize sometimes its required.

Last week I trained at the LA Fitness by my house which although its close doesn't offer many of the pieces of equipment I prefer. I still had great workouts and kept the pace much faster with alot of supersetting. I was excited on leg day to get 4plates plus a 25 for ten without too much trouble. I am hoping to get 5 plates for 10 within a few weeks.
Tonight is heavy upper body and I am not sure if Adam will be in or now so alot is up in the air as far as tonights workout. I expect another great week though.

fltallpaul
06-15-2010, 07:36 AM
June 15th, 2010

Upper Power

Supported Tbar Rows
180x5, 205x5, 215x5

Bench Press
335x5, 335x5, 335x5

Standing Barbell Curl
125x5, 135x5

Incline DB Fly
55x8, 70x8

Overhead DB tricep Extension
45x8, 45x8

Back in the gym with Adam last night after a week training elsewhere. We both felt really exhausted once we got started and not long into the workout we decided it was going to be a short day. I went for my all time best on the bench and was very happy with how light 335 felt. The first set went up pretty easy, the 5th rep was a bit slow with Adam helping through my stick point. Set two was similiar and set 3 Adam had to put in some effort on the last two reps but I still did alot of work and controlled the negatives. My biceps were still achy from arms on Saturday so I didn't push it on curls or triceps. We both decided to quite while we were ahead and start preparing for leg day. Tonight is another day of heavy squats which I am looking forward to.

fltallpaul
06-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Thursday June 3rd, 2010

Supported T bar Rows
135x10 3 sets

160x12 3 sets

Single Arm DB Rows
105x12 3 sets

Wide Grip Pullups (BW 245)
3 sets of 8

Hammer Strength Pullover
180x15, 180x15

Incline Bench
135x12, 3 sets

Hammer Strength Flat Press
270x10 3 sets

Cable Flyes
85x15, 85x15

incline bench Static Stretch
40lbs for 60 seconds

Back at it again at Gold's for another back\chest hypertrophy day. My chest was still sore from heavy bench day so we changed things slightly. We used the incline bench and flat Hammer strength for chest and kept things light and really fast. Not much rest at all during this workout. About the only thing we rested on was Single Arm DB Rows and Pullups. Things are going really well right now but I am about to switch gears and get into some Powerlifting training going into the last 7 weeks before my first meet. I will be switching to 4 days a week with the big three being my focus.

fltallpaul
06-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Friday June 18th, 2010

Hypertrophy legs

Friday June 11th, 2010

Squat
185x10 3 sets (speed work)

Hack Squat
450x8(PR), 410x10, 410x10

Leg Extensions
170x15, 190x15, 230x15

Front Squat
135x12

SLDL
225x10 3 sets

Single Leg Curl
70x12, 70x12, 80x12

Seated Calf Press
400x12, 4 sets

Seated Calf Raise
180x12 3 sets

Friday afternoon and its time for legs. My knee is still being a bitch but at this point I am actually learning to squat with better form to work around it. I am going to the Dr. this Friday to have it looked at and find out the issue. I am noticing it gives out when in a certain position which isn't good when I consider myself a very good athlete and love playing lots of sports. Hopefully good news, I am sure its something minor as 90% of the time I don't even think about it.

This weekend was also a weekend full of doing things to my new house. Misty and I painted the entire second floor, which took two days but it came out amazing. Next weekend my parents and sister are coming over for a nice get away so I wanted to get a few things done to the house before they got here and we accomplished that. I took Saturday and Sunday off from the gym and will be starting a new routine this week. I will outline it tommorow with my first workout.

Here are some pictures to keep the thread fun. First is the picture of Misty, Madeline and I at the US Vs England soccer match, the next is me hanging some blinds in my kitchen. The third is my friend Ashley who came in second in her class at the Tampa Bay Classic, her first ever bikini competition.

USA!
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/fa23960b.jpg

Handy Man
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/533c66cb.jpg

Sex sells...let's keep this thread interesting
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/be0f93a9.jpg

fltallpaul
06-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Since I have a Powerlifting meet in 7 weeks I wanted to start a new program. Here is what I am going to be doing for a few weeks. I will tweak it a bit as I go as its something I came up with by mixing a few styles together.

This program includes 3 Max Effort days. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday are all max effort days with accessory work included. This program is meant to be used for short periods such as preparing the final weeks for a Power lifting meet. The program is specifically set up to improve max effort on the big 3 lifts. Each lift follows a 7 week period to a new max. Following the below schedule on max effort days.

1RM= One Rep Maximum. Start with 55% and end with 105%.
Week 1: 1RM(.55) 3 sets of 10
Week 2: 1RM(.70) 3 sets of 8
Week 3: 1RM(.80) 3 sets of 6
Week 4: 1RM(.90) 3 sets of 4
Week 5: 1RM(.95) 3 sets of 2
Week 5: 1RM(1.0) 3 sets of 1
Week 6: 1RM(1.05) 1 set of 1

Monday: Dynamic Effort Bench

Dynamic Bench: 8 x 3 @ 60%
Incline DB Bench Press: 5 x 8-12 60-90 seconds rest
Close Grip Bench Press: 3 x 10
Skull Crushers: 4 x 8-12
Supported T-bar Row: 5 x 8-12
Hammer Curl: 4 x 8-12

Tuesday: Maximum Effort Squat
ME Squat
Hack Squat 3 sets 8-10
Leg Extensions 3 sets 10-12
Calf Exercise 1 4 sets 8-10
Calf Exercise 2 3 sets 10-12

Thursday: Maximum Effort Bench
ME Bench
Side Lateral DB Raise: 3 x 10-12
Single Arm DB Row: 3 x 5-8
Pullups: 5 x failure
Barbell Curls: 4 x 5-8

Friday: Maximum Effort Deadlift
ME Deadlift
Farmers Walk\Grip Work
Single Leg Curl 3 x 8-12

fltallpaul
06-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Monday June 21st, 2010

Flat Bench (DE Speed Work)
215 8 sets of 3

Incline DB Press
110x8, 120x8, 120x8, 120x8

Close Grip Bench Press
225x10 3 sets

Skull Crushers
115x10, 115x9, 115x8

Supported T bar Row
135x10, 145x10, 155x10, 155x10

Hammer Curls
50x10, 60x8, 65x8

Day one of the new routine and it was very similiar to the first day of the power\hypertrophy split. Although we didn't go heavy on the flat bench we pushed the body very hard all workout long. I really enjoyed doing a few exercises I have not done in a long time. I have not hit close grip bench in months nor have I done incline DB presses. I am happy to see my strength hasn't disapeared with these lifts and I am sure in the coming weeks I will improve at them. Overall the workout was nice, had a great pump when it was all done and my forearms were smoked. I need to strengthen my hands so no straps for me right now. Tonight is heavy squatting which I look forward to, we will also hit a few other exercises to complete the leg workout. The day I am looking forward to is Friday and the Deadlift!

jacshelb
06-23-2010, 02:06 AM
Good luck at the powerlifting meet! The new training looks interesting, should be a nice change-up. You are looking lean for your weight! Damn, 240 and lean, I wish I could claim the same! I'm continually impressed.

fltallpaul
06-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Thursday June 24th, 2010

Flat Bench ME Day 55%
185x10 3 sets

Single Arms DB Rows
120x8, 125x8, 130x8

Pullups
Wide Grip\Narrow Grip
12 wide, 6 narrow, 8 wide, 5 narrow, 7 wide

Side Lateral DB Raises
35x10, 40x10, 40x10

Standing Barbell Curls
85x10, 105x10, 125x10, 125x10

Friday June 25th, 2010

Deadlifts Max Effort 55%
245x10 3 sets

Squat Dynamic Effort 60%
195 8 sets of 3, focus on exploding out of hole

Single Leg Curls
120x8, 130x8, 140x8, 150x8

Donkey Calf Raise
300x12 4 sets

Seated Calf Raise
135x12 3 sets

The end of week 1 with the new routine. Basically it was a deload which although its good to do always feels a bit strange. I am so used to going all out in the gym that when I don't put forth max effort it feels strange. Still it is nice to slow down, focus on form and other aspects such as the eccentric portion of the lift. Overall a good week. Adam and I did some tweaking and may make a few changes overall to the program but for the most part its going to get tough quickly with all the squatting and deadlifting. The upper body days are going to be a challenge as well as we improve each week.

I spent the weekend with my family who came over. My Dad also brought with him my entire baseball card collection. The entire back of his Mini Van was full and so now I have to store it at my house. He has been waiting a long time to get that stuff out of his house. It was nice to see some of the cards I had spent my youth with. I will be taking time to look through them over the next few weeks to organize them better and for nostalgia.
Just for fun here is a video of my dog Madeline being silly.
qKvU2RU0lVk

fltallpaul
06-29-2010, 08:26 AM
Monday June 28th, 2010

Flat Bench Dynamic Effort 60%
185x3, 8 sets

Incline DB Press
120x8, 125x8, 125x8, 120x8

Close Grip Bench Press
225x10, 225x10, 225x8

Skull Crushers
115x10, 3 sets

Supported Tbar Rows
160x10, 17ox8, 180x8, 185x8, 185x7

Hammer Curls
60x10, 65x8, 70x6 drop 35x6

What a great workout...Adam and I were joined by Rob and we kept the pace moving really quickly as we only rested while the other two lifted. Even with the great pace this workout still took 90+ minutes to complete. Everything felt really good on all exercises which is a great sign. I went heavier in the incline DB press, in a few weeks I will jump to the 130's. I am really looking forward to squatting tonight(I mean that too which is something I have never truly meant before).

fltallpaul
06-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Tuesday june 30th, 2010

ME Squat Day

Squat 70%
245x8, 3 sets, filmed the 3rd
TETxn056oqQ

Hack Squat
450x6, 410x10, 410x10

Leg Extension(top half of movement only)
170x15, 3 sets

Donkey Calf Raise
300x12, 345x10, 390x10, 390x10

Calf Press
270x15, 280x15, 290x15

Another great squat day. With only 70% of my max on the bar I should not be so excited but it wasn't that long ago that this amount of weight actually was alot for me. By the third set I was just starting to feel my groove so next week I may take a bit more warmups. We will be doing 80% next week which is 275 for me. I am really excited about improving each week. The hack squats were a bit disapointing as my knee bothered me on the first set so I did not get the 8 reps I wanted to. I did however kill the next two sets so that's a positive. Calves are improving as well as more and more wieght is being used. All in all a good workout, tonight is an off night from the gym so I will go crush a few softballs. Thursday is Max Bench day with some other upper body stuff, then Deadlifts on Friday...I am really enjoying this routine.

On a side note congrats to South Carolina for winning the last college baseball game at Rosenblatt stadium and the College World Series. I had to stay up late to watch the end but it was so worth it. It makes me miss playing baseball when I see those guys playing thier hearts out.[color=#810081][/COLO"]YouTube- Paul "NGA Pro" Revelia - Full Squats, 245x8

fltallpaul
07-02-2010, 07:48 AM
Thursday July 1st, 2010

Flat Bench ME @ 70%
255x8, 3 sets

Incline DB Flyes
70x8, 80x8

Single Arm DB Rows
120x8, 3 sets

Side Lateral DB Raise
35x10, 40x8, 40x10drop27.5x10drop17.5x10drop12.5x11

Pullups
Narrowx8, Widex10, Narrowx7, Widex9, Narrowx6

Standing Barbell Curl
105x8, 115x8, 115x8

After taking Wednesday off from the gym I felt refreshed to be back on Thursday. This new routine is nice because I always feel fresh going into each session. Thursday morning I attended my Grandma Norma's funeral. She is my father's mother and lived for 77 wonderful years. When I was young she was often the one who took care of me while my parents were busy. The event was not sad at all as we all told stories and laughed at how much she loved life. I learned so much from here and will always have her with me. Getting together with family was something she always treasured so I am sure yesterday would have been one of her favorite days ever. We all went to lunch after and I got to talk with some of my cousins I had not seen in a while. It's amazing how fast life goes once we get past high school.....I am lucky to have such an amazing family.

fltallpaul
07-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Monday July 5th, 2010

DE Flat Bench 60%
215x3, 8 sets

Incline Bench
225x8, 245x8, 265x8, 275x8

Close Grip Bench
225x10, 225x10, 225x9

Skull Crushers
115x10, 115x8, 115x8

Supported Tbar Rows
160x10, 170x8, 180x6, 185x6, 195x6

Hammer Curls
55x8, 65x8, 75x6drop50x8

After a nice long weekend it felt good to be back in the gym. Last Friday at work while leaning over I felt a really sharp pain shoot through my mid back. I took this as a sign to back off the weights for a day and skipped the friday deadlift\squat session. I hated doing this but ultimately if I get hurt before this meet then I will be very upset. So I spent the weekend stretching it and taking a few long walks. I also did some cardio on the bike just to get things moving around. The extra days rest really made a huge difference on Monday. I got in the gym and felt really fresh and strong. The weights were moving around like nothing. Hell I even got 275 on incline for 8 when I haven't done regular incline in months. This could be attributed to going heavy on DB incline but either way I felt really good. Tonight is the first test of the back but it has felt great ever since the weekend so I am confident that with a good warmup I will be ready to squat some real weight this week.

fltallpaul
07-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Tuesday July 7th, 2010

ME Squat 80%
275x6, 3 sets

Hack Squat
450x6, 450x6, 450x6drop270x10drop180x6

Leg Extension
150x15, 5 sets

Donkey Calf Raise
300x12, 345x12, 390x12, 415x8

Seated Calf Press
290x15, 3 sets

After having a tight back last friday I was eager to get back into some lower body stuff and test it out. Squats felt great as I felt fresh again. 275 was a nice weight to move for me. I felt like I was good for around 10 so the sets of 6 were good. I was still able to focus on getting one rep at a time and keep my form tight. Next Friday is 310 for 4, which will be a test but I am confident I will pass.

The Hack squat was fun as well, 5 plates will be my bitch when its all said and done. Once I get up to 10-12 I will try another 25 per side...eventually working up to and past 6 plates. I still feel like I am just tapping into my potential with my leg power movements.

Off night tonight, going to play some softball and guitar...not at the same time though.

DAVIDHARDY
07-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Why not at the same time, pus?

I just checkes out ss.com and I'm looking forward to seeing that training video of you and Layne. The trailer was a tease!

DAVIDHARDY
07-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Pretty sweet chest and back video on the last page. Have you ever tried twisting the dumbbells at the top of your incline flys? I've been doing it like that for a while now, and it's a big difference from doing them without the twist. I twist it inward where my pinkies would touch if the weights weren't there, so it's like a 45 degree angle when the db's wind up touching. It gets the lower pecs involved more in the movement. Try it out and see how you like it...or don't, but don't say I never gave you anything!

fltallpaul
07-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Why not at the same time, pus?

I just checkes out ss.com and I'm looking forward to seeing that training video of you and Layne. The trailer was a tease!

Pretty sweet chest and back video on the last page. Have you ever tried twisting the dumbbells at the top of your incline flys? I've been doing it like that for a while now, and it's a big difference from doing them without the twist. I twist it inward where my pinkies would touch if the weights weren't there, so it's like a 45 degree angle when the db's wind up touching. It gets the lower pecs involved more in the movement. Try it out and see how you like it...or don't, but don't say I never gave you anything!

haha...

The videos will be nice, all that is waiting is approval from a band to use thier music. The band is Chimera, should be any day now!

I have done all methods with flys, they way I do them now I feel allows me to use the most weight with a good stretch. I don't really worry too much about twists and tweaks anymore. My goal is to build so much muscle that it fills out naturally. I learned a long time ago that you can't change the shape of muscles. I also really like JRod's philosophy of finding an exercise that gives you good results, perfect the form and then pile on as much weight as possible. I will do a set like that this week for you though, and report back...I am always open to try something!

DAVIDHARDY
07-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Cool man, Chimera is a kick ass band! I think you'll like those flys. It's still the same movement, just a little twist up top to get some more pec involved. Just do the movement sitting there and you'll see what I mean.

fltallpaul
07-12-2010, 08:08 AM
Thursday July 8th, 2010
Flat Bench 80% Max Effort
295x6, 3 sets
Incline DB Press
125x8, 3 sets
Single Arm DB Rows
120x6, 3 sets
HS Pullup Machine
290x10, 2 sets
Tricep Pressdown
195x12, 2 sets
Side Lateral DB Raise
35x12, 35x12, 35x12drop20x12drop10x12
Friday July 9th, 2010
Deadlift ME
325x6, 325x6, 345x4, 365x4
Squat DE
185x3, 8 sets
Another week in the books and everything is still feeling great. I was happy that the deadlifts came back to me so quickly. I felt I had a lot left in the tank but I don't want to push it too fast. I am certain I had 405 in me so perhaps next friday I will give that a go. I need to get some chalk though. Overall the 4 day routine is allowing alot of recovery each week and lifts have been coming up in all catergories. Tonight is heavy bench day and its getting heavy!

DAVIDHARDY
07-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Chalk is definitely a necessity for deads unless you want to wrap up and be all gay(not that there's anything wrong with that). Lol, i wrap for anything over 405 when I'm training for an awesome back workout. If I'm going for strength, there's no way I could consider calling it a PR with straps on, so it gets a little dusty then.

fltallpaul
07-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Chalk is definitely a necessity for deads unless you want to wrap up and be all gay(not that there's anything wrong with that). Lol, i wrap for anything over 405 when I'm training for an awesome back workout. If I'm going for strength, there's no way I could consider calling it a PR with straps on, so it gets a little dusty then.

I am doing a PL meet and when I get up to 405 I need chalk for sure. I got 435 with chalk for one a while back. I am hoping with all the work I put in on squats and SLDL's in the last few months I can get 450 at the meet in August.

I want 500 before I get on the BB stage again as well, then I know I have added some thickness to my back, hams and traps!

DAVIDHARDY
07-12-2010, 08:30 AM
Seriously, I added a lot of strength to my deadlifts by doing dead cardio. You do it at the end of the workout or by itself. I like doing it at the end of legs or back, and people tell me I'm crazy for doing it then. What you do is take a light weight and do 6 sets of 20 deadlifts with just 60 seconds rest between sets. When I first started doing it, I could only do it with 135. I just did it the other day with 185 and it took me 3 days to recover from it. It will fry your hams, glutes, forearms, and lower back. I don't do deads when I do that, because it would kill your lower back. It also increases your endurance.

fltallpaul
07-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Seriously, I added a lot of strength to my deadlifts by doing dead cardio. You do it at the end of the workout or by itself. I like doing it at the end of legs or back, and people tell me I'm crazy for doing it then. What you do is take a light weight and do 6 sets of 20 deadlifts with just 60 seconds rest between sets. When I first started doing it, I could only do it with 135. I just did it the other day with 185 and it took me 3 days to recover from it. It will fry your hams, glutes, forearms, and lower back. I don't do deads when I do that, because it would kill your lower back. It also increases your endurance.

I love high rep deads. I usually do an all out set after going heavy. My all time best is 275 for 23 reps after getting 435. Your right though you have to let the back recover from that.

Another fun thing to do is pick a wieght and try to do 50 reps in 4 sets. My best with that is 335 and the last few reps of the last set were pure will power, lol.

fltallpaul
07-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Monday July 13th, 2010

DE Flat Bench 60%
215x3, 8 sets

Incline Bench
275x8, 275x6, 245x8

Decline Close Grip Bench
225x10, 225x10, 275x6

Decline Skull Crushers
115x10, 3 sets

Tbar Rows
135x12, 180x10, 4 sets

Hammer Curls (very strict form)
45x8, 50x8, 55x8drop30x8

10 minutes cardio

It felt good to be back in the gym after the weekend off. I didn't eat too well and felt a bit sluggish in the gym which is about right. Monday things were on point and by tonight I should be feeling alot better. I am really looking forward to some heavy squats tonight. tonight is 90% for 4 reps which will put me around 310 I think. I am hoping it goes up easy as squats have been feeling fantastic lately.

DAVIDHARDY
07-13-2010, 01:14 PM
I love high rep deads. I usually do an all out set after going heavy. My all time best is 275 for 23 reps after getting 435. Your right though you have to let the back recover from that.

Another fun thing to do is pick a wieght and try to do 50 reps in 4 sets. My best with that is 335 and the last few reps of the last set were pure will power, lol.

That sounds pretty damn challenging with the 50 reps. I might have to give it a shot. How long do you allow yourself to rest? A minuet or until you catch your breath?

fltallpaul
07-14-2010, 07:33 AM
That sounds pretty damn challenging with the 50 reps. I might have to give it a shot. How long do you allow yourself to rest? A minuet or until you catch your breath?

i take a few minutes between sets, but nothing too crazy. At some point the rest doesn't help anymore. I like to atleast get my breathing under control...get rid of the spots I am seeing, lol.

fltallpaul
07-14-2010, 07:34 AM
Tuesday July 13th, 2010

Squat ME 90%
305x4, 305x4, 335x2, 225x10

Hack Squat
360x10, 410x8, 360x10

Leg Extensions
150x12, 3 sets

Donkey calf raise
300x12, 345x12, 390x10, 390x10

Seated Calf Press
290x10, 310x10, 330x10

Max effort squat day and I was excited all day to be over 300lbs for my working sets. The first set went up so easy that I started to consider going heavier. After the second set went up really easy i said let's do this and put this most weight I have ever put on a squat bar. I was hoping for one good rep, I got two and maybe had a third but didn't want to push it since next week is 95% week. I also did one last quick set at 225 just to really pound the form home. I am very happy with where my squat is right now. Now its on to heavy bench and heavy deads at the end of the week.

fltallpaul
07-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Thursday July 15th, 2010

ME Bench Press 90%
335x4, 335x4, 335x4

Incline DB Fly
60x10, 60x10

Single Arm DB Row
120x8, 125x8, 130x8

Side Lateral DB raise
40x10, 40x10, 40x10drop30x10drop20x8drop10x10 It's a deep burn!

Alternating Pullups
Narrowx8, Widex8, Narrowx8, Widex7, Narrowx6 (242 on the scale)

Standing EZ Bar curls
105x8, 105x8, 105x8drop75x5drop45x5

Well another PR has been set as I got all 3 sets of 335 for 4 with no spot. I was a little worried as I warmed up as I felt a bit stiff but I have learned that I often don't really get loose until that first heavy set. I am starting to really get confident that a 365 or 375 for 1 may happen on the day of the meet.

The rest of the workout was solid, back is feeling strong. I backed off on flys since I went so heavy on flat. As the meet approaches and I get really heavy I will back off the rest of my lifts a bit to ensure full recovery for each workout. Tonight is going to be heavy deadlifts and dynamic squats. I plan on using heavier wieght this week for the dynamic squats.

fltallpaul
07-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Friday July 16th, 2010

Deadlifts Max Effort 90%
405x4, 405x4, 425x4 PR

Squats Dynamic Effort 60%
185x3, 8 sets

Grip Work
80lb DB Holds to failure, 4 sets

With only my third week back deadlifting I wasn't sure where to place my max. I used 405 for 4 on the first two sets and had no problem at all. I decided to test myself a bit and ended up getting 425 for 4. My back was sore the rest of the weekend but nothing that won't be ready to go by Tuesday for heavy squat day. If all feels well I will most likely give 455 for 2 a shot on Friday. It's fun hitting PR's these last few weeks.

fltallpaul
07-20-2010, 07:56 AM
Monday July 19th, 2010

DE Flat Bench
215x3, 8 sets

Incline Bench Press
275x8, 275x7, 255x8

Skull Crushers
115x12, 3 sets

Decline Close Grip Bench Press
225x10, 3 sets

Supported Tbar Rows
160x8, 5 sets

Seated Hammer Curls
45x10, 45x8, 45x8drop20x10

15 minutes cardio

After a nice weekend of rest it was great to be back in the gym. I felt fresh the entire workout which is always good. I pushed myself a bit on incline bench since my warmups felt really light. I didn't go to failure on any sets so I had a few more reps in me. Right now my focus is on my heavy days and this week I have a really heavy bench day planned. Overall a solid workout, this routine we are doing is really doing the job of improving all my lifts. I can't wait for heavy squats tonight. I will probably be using 335 for sets of 2 if all goes well. My back is feeling much better as well.

fltallpaul
07-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Tuesday July 20th, 2010

Squat ME 95%
335x2, 335x2, 335x2, 225x10

Hack Squat
360x10, 410x8, 410x8

Donkey Calf Raise
300x10, 345x10, 390x10, 415x10

Seated Calf Press Machine
290x12, 310x12, 330x12

20 minutes of cardio

The workout today was really good. My knee is not bothering me at all now. I am still avoiding leg extensions and lunges until I can test it out but I am excited the knee is improving while going heavy. 335 felt really good and actually the third set felt best. Next week I will try 345 for 2. I have to start thinking about my strategy on the day of the meet and what lifts to shoot for as openers. Right now I am leaing toward a 315 squat\335 bench\435 deadlift. We shall see how these last few weeks go.

I also confirmed that I will be going up to NC to hang with the Scivation Team during the week after my powerlifting meet. I will be riding up with Layne and Isabel and rooming with Tommy for some photo shoots, videos, and Marc will probably test out some experimental new products on us like Gineau pigs who knows. I am looking forward to the whole trip and getting to know everyone a little better.

fltallpaul
07-28-2010, 07:44 AM
Tuesday July 27th, 2010
Squats
335x1, 345x1, 355x1
Hack Squat
450x5, 450x5
Leg Extension
170x15, 3 sets
15 minutes of cardio
With all the extra work in have been doing this week all I had today was heavy squats and hacks. I set two PR's in a row, getting up to 355 for 1. I had a powerlifter watch me squat to check my depth and he told me I am going too low. Well I don't know about that but I am glad to hear its not the opposite. He said it looks like I am sitting in a hole. That is how I was taught to squat by the guys I was training with. I guess we shall see on meet day. Maybe if I am going too low I can try a heavier attempt with less depth. Either way I am pretty excited, seems like the 1100 will fall this meet.
Today is going to be spent with Tommy and Marc at the Vitamin Shoppe Expo. I am getting ready to head there now. Should be a lot of fun with those two charachters.

fltallpaul
07-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Thursday July 29th, 2010

Flat Bench
335x1, 355x1, 365x1, 275x6

Incline DB Flyes
40x12, 45x12

Single Arm Low Cable Rows
75x8, 90x8, 90x8

Side Lateral DB Raise
25x12, 30x12, 30x12

Pullups
Narrowx8, Widex8, Narrowx6, Widex6, Narrowx6

EZ Bar Curls
80x10, 3 sets

This was my last planned heavy bench day before the meet so I wanted to test out my opener and possibly my second attempt for the meet. I read all the organizations rules so I was sure I did things correctly. I plan to open with 335 and after warming up I set up for the attempt and had Adam give me the commands to press and rack. 335 flew off my chest without a problem so I was pretty excited. I decided that 355 would be a nice second attempt so we went through the same steps. The bar still moved pretty rapidly off my chest into the locked position. It is a lot different when waiting for the press command. It takes all momentum out of the bar. I figured since 355 went up so easy that perhaps my second attempt could be 365. I was able to press that successfully as well although it moved a bit slower than the first two attempts. I feel maybe 375-385 could go up on meet day if I am feeling good.

The rest of the workout was done at about 70% strength for me as I don't want to over do it on my accessory movements these last few days of training. I still had a great pump and am enjoying this modified Westside\Hypertrophy routine I created. I used 355 as my one rep max on bench 7 weeks ago and I have killed that now. I had 335 as my squat max and that is probably my opener now depending on how monday goes. I also used 450 as my deadlift max for this program and got 455 for a double last week. No matter how things go on the day of the meet I have made great progress all around.

Today is heavy deadlift day and I will play it safe, probably try my opener and if that flys up maybe one more heavy attempt, then some lighter speed deads. I will train on monday and tuesday and then take off the rest of the week and keep my diet on point so I am fully recovered for the meet. I am hoping that I feel fresh and strong from the rest and perhaps surpise myself with a few big lifts.

fltallpaul
08-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Friday July 30th, 2010

Deadlift
365x1, 405x1, 435x1

DE Squat
185x3, 205x3, 225x3 6 sets

7 Sets for calves supersetted with 7 sets for abs

The last heavy deadlift day before my meet on August 7th. My plan was to get up to opener and see how it felt. After a good long warmup with walking, stretching and several sets at a lighter weight I did 435 for 1 easy rep. I thought about putting 455 on again which would be my second attempt but I didn't want to risk injury so close to the meet. All feels good right now so no need to tempt fate. I may do some hamstring work and speed deficiet deads on Tuesday which will be the last day I lift going into the meet.

Tonight will be my typical upper body workout with Adam along with some cardio. Post Meet workouts are being planned as we speak.

fltallpaul
08-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Monday August 2nd, 2010
Flat Bench DE
225x3, 8 sets
Incline Bench
185x10, 225x10, 235x10
Tricep Extension Machine
150x10, 150x10, 150x10
Close Grip Bench Press
185x10, 205x10, 205x10
Supported T bar Rows
135x10, 145x10, 160x10, 160x8, 135x10
Hammer Curls
40x10, 45x10, 45x10
20 minutes cardio stairmill and bike
Since I am 6 days out from competing I just took everything really easy with this workout. Adam and I kept the pace really fast and kept the weights a bit ligher than usual. We only rested to change setups or wait for the other to go. The result was a really solid workout despite the lighter weights. I think we are going to hop back in the tri phase in a few weeks as I am looking forward to putting some more volume into my workouts. Going heavy has been fun but I really want to push the envelope with my new strength and use some high volume with it.
Tonight is squats and some other work, also my last day training this week.

DAVIDHARDY
08-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Good luck at your meet. I have thought about powerlifting, but I'm not comfortable with my numbers yet.

fltallpaul
08-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Tuesday August 3rd, 2010

Squat
315x5, 3 sets...new PR

Hack Squat
270x10, 3 sets no rest

Leg Extensions
110x15, holding back to protect the knee right now

Donkey Calf Raise
300x12, 4 sets

Seated Calf Press
290x10, 3 sets

This was my last planned workout before the meet on Saturday based on Layne's advice. He told me to go light but I didn't quite do that exactly. I have never gotten 315 for 3 sets of 5 and its something I wanted to hit. I have gotten it with a small spot before but I did this without one and it was a battle. For some reason on the second set I actually took my first rep all the way down to the sitting position. After getting the first rep I thought I was done. I did power through the next 4 reps though and got the last set as well. Watching Layne squat has taught me alot about battling through each rep and it wearing off. I am hoping to feel fresh and ready on Saturday and give myself a nice PR to shoot for going forward.

fltallpaul
08-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Good luck at your meet. I have thought about powerlifting, but I'm not comfortable with my numbers yet.

Thanks David. I am not really comfortable with my squat, although it has come along way since making the decision to compete. I like the idea of doing a meet...then hopefully beating all those numbers down the road sometime.

fltallpaul
08-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Here is part 3, a bit different from the first two. No talking, just shots from training and some music to get you pumped. Oh and a posedown...something you should never do in the off season, lol.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-2010-training-series-featuring-paul-revelia.html

fltallpaul
08-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Well Saturday came and went and it was exactly what I was hoping for. Everyone was really nice and helpful. The meet was run very smooth with plenty of time to get warm and organization so that we knew when we had to lift. My only concern was that we would be lifting so early when I am used to training at night. I got up a bit early, like 7am, so that I could eat a bit more before the meet. I had two large carb meals after weigh in's friday night. I weighed in at 241.8 and went to Outback for a steak and sweet potatoe. I went to bed nice early and felt refreshed.

The morning of the meet I had a big breakfast which started with Solution 5. I also downed a cup of rice. I had a few snacks and Xtend packed for the meet as well as the Quake 10.0. I was counting on Quake to get me pumped. After the athletes meeting at 9 we started getting loose for squats. I had my Quake at this time and instantly felt great. I walked on the treadmill and did my normal pre squat day routine including warming up my hips. My warmups went up to 315 since I had set my opener at 335. When the time came for my first lift I tried to block everything out and just focus on my checklist. I took the bar off, set my feet and waited for the judge. He gave the signal and I took a deep breath, filled up my belly with air to tighten my belt. First my hips dropped back and then the butt dropped. I got in and out of the hole with no problems, locked out at the top and re racked on command. Three green lights and my first lift was successful. I then told the MC that 355 would be my next lift. I got 355 but it didn't feel really easy. For my third I was a bit conservative and went with 365. 355 was the most I had ever done in the gym so I was happy. 365 actually felt easier that the 355 perhaps because I was concentrating on form and breathing a bit more. Either way, three green lights and its on to bench.

My bench opener was set at 335 so I warmed up to 315 as well. The 335 felt like nothing so I went up to my gym personal best of 365 for lift 2. Once again it went up easy to I went to a number I had never even tried in the gym, 380lbs. 380lbs started slow but moved up without an issue, another 3 green lights and its on to deadlift.

Deadlift was a question mark for me. The most i have ever done in the gym was 455 but that was for a double. I figure I would open with something easy just to see where i was so I used 425 and had no problems with it. I then figured i would do my gym PR and hit 455 pretty fast. I asked my friend Mike who had been helping me with my deadlift what he felt and he said I was good for 475 no problem...he said maybe 500. I figured 475 was a 20lb PR so that's what I decided. The weight went up without too much trouble and I kind of wished I had another lift to try 500. All is all it was a great day with 9 for 9 on my lifts and alot of new friends. I will continue to work on my squat and deadlift until they are where I want them to be. At this point I am pushing through all kinds of barriers I thought I had, turns out they were just mental barriers...not I am thinking I may have a 500lb squat, 400lb bench and 600lb deadlift in my future. Who knows.....

Here is the movie I made with all the lifts, hope you enjoy.
-9vf_oy293Y

fltallpaul
08-17-2010, 08:48 AM
Monday August 16th, 2010
Deadlift
315x8, 315x6, 315x6
Pullups
BWx6, BWx6, BWx6
DB Rows
100x10, 3 sets
Smith Barbell Shrugs
225x10, 275x10, 315x10
DB Shrugs
105x10, 110x10, 115x10
20 minutes on the bike
I had not hit the gym since Friday with Layne so it felt good to get back into the swing. It's amazing how quickly the body adjusts to not working out regularly. I kept the workout light and quick. I didn't really push myself at all as I wanted to move through it rather quickly. For the next three weeks I am going to just add a set per exercise, after that I am jumping into the power hypertrophy for some serious growth. I am also going to start cardio on a regular basis. My goal is to imrpove my conditioning, tighten my diet and continue to make improvements in the gym. I feel I am in a great place at this time to really get stronger and leaner simultaneously.

fltallpaul
08-18-2010, 07:20 AM
Tuesday August 17th, 2010
Incline DB Bench
100x10, 110x10, 120x10
Flat Bench
225x10, 245x10, 265x8
Dips
BWx12, 3 sets
Military Barbell Press
135x10, 155x6, 155x6
Side Lateral DB Raise
30x10, 40x10, 45x10
20 minutes cardio on the bike
Second night back in the gym this week and it felt great. My diet has been on point this week and I am really enjoying the pump in the gym. I can still tell my endurance is no where near where it will be. I feel great at the beginning of the workout but I can feel myself fade. I plan to add a set to each exercise for the next two weeks and give myself 5 sets total. I am basically doing the first phase of the tri phase workout. I have been training alone this week so staying away from failure and just really enjoying the gym experience. Consider this the calm before the storm. I have also begun to lose a few lbs. I am going to do cardio after every workout and track my diet until I get myself down to 235 at night. I believe from there I can determine how I should procede.

fltallpaul
08-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Thursday August 19th, 2010
Squats
225x10, 245x10, 265x10
Hack Squats
360x10, 410x6, 410x6
Single Leg Curl
70x10, 3 sets
Calf Press
180x10, 225x10, 225x12
Seated Calf Press
180x10, 3 sets
20 minutes cardio
Saturday August 21st, 2010
Skull Crushers
125x8, 3 sets
Hammer Strength Dip Press
270x10, 3 sets
Incline Seated DB Curls
35x10, 40x10, 45x10
Hammer Curls
40x10, 45x10, 50x8
Superset Tricep Pressdown with Concentration curls
190x10 SS 30x10, repeat twice
20 minutes cardio
Sunday August 22nd, 2010
10 sets of abs
20 minutes of cardio
I had a pretty hectic weekend but got a lot done. I played golf with my cousin on Friday morning after dropping my car off for some repair work. I also managed to reorganize my entire garage and add a new shelf. I cooked food for the week after getting all the shopping done and am ready to hit this week really hard and make some progress.
Here is a video i took with my phone of an alligator on the golf course...i thought those of you who don't live in Florida would get a kick out of it. If you do live in Florida...its just another alligator, lol.

YouTube- OCN alligator

fltallpaul
08-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Monday August 23rd, 2010

Deadlift
315x8, 365x6, 385x6, 315x8

Wide Grip Pullups
BWx8, X7, X7, X6

Single ARM DB Rows
100x10, 110x8, 110x8, 110x8

Smith Machine Shrugs
315x10, 335x10, 355x10, 355x10

DB Shrugs
100x10, 4 sets

20 minutes cardio on bike

Second week doing some higher volume training and I felt much better. Deadlifts felt pretty light but I didn't want to push too hard too fast. I would love to be able to get 405 for 10 reps and I think it will happen down the road. Doing DL's first in a workout makes the rest of the workout just exhausting. I still crushed each exercise and did some cardio post workout just to keep the heart rate up. I am starting to see a change on the scale and in my physique already. My only goal right now is to get a bit leaner while improving my strength and endurance in the gym. Walking around at 245lbs has been too much. I think I can be around 230-235 with abs and still getting stronger. Tonight is Chest and Shoulders and I look forward to hitting it hard!

DAVIDHARDY
08-24-2010, 09:52 AM
That's a strong bench, man. Good job.

fltallpaul
08-25-2010, 12:46 PM
That's a strong bench, man. Good job.

Thanks David...its probably my only really respectable lift right now. I am plan to have a 400 squat, 400 bench and 500 DL day next time. Hopefully pushing the squat and DL up even a few more lbs.

fltallpaul
08-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Tuesday August 24th, 2010

Incline DB Press
110x8, 120x8, 125x8, 125x9

Flat Bench
225x10, 245x10, 265x6, 275x6

Dips
BWx12, 4 sets

140x10, 180x8, 180x8, 180x8

Side Lateral DB Raise
35x10, 40x10, 45x8, 45x8drop25x10

20 minutes cardio

Another great workout in the books. I am enjoying these workouts as they are challenging but the focus is on working the muscle and keeping the pace quick. I felt sore in my back and traps from the previous workout and that was a nice feeling. There was not a lot of soreness with the low rep powerlifting routine.

Saturday I am going over to Layne's to train and watch some MMA. We will be hitting upper body at Powerhouse which is always fun with him. After that it will be pool and UFC...going to be a good weekend.

fltallpaul
08-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Thursday August 26th, 2010

Squat
225x10, 275x10, 295x6, 305x6

Hack Squat
360x10, 450x6, 450x4, 410x7

SLDL
225x8, 245x8

Leg Extensions
Did one set, left knee bothering me

Single Leg Curl
70x10, 3 sets each leg

Single Leg Press
leg knee bothered me

It was a bitter sweet night in the gym. First off I start with squats and they felt great. I was able to get a PR with 275 for 10 and I honestly had another 5 or so. My goal of 315 for 10 is close at hand. I pushed the weight up the next two sets but didn't have a spot and wasn't able to use a rack with pins so I had to play it safe. I still pushed myself but I will use the power rack next week and really push it.

The bitter part came when I tried to allow my left knee to do some work on its own. I have feared for a while now that I am compensating with my right leg allowing it to do more work. I tried some single leg extensions and single leg leg presses and both time I felt discomfort and lack of strength through a very short range of motion about half way into the movement. It's fine at the start and fine at the finish, but over the mid range it loses strength. The good news is it feels fine to talk and run but anything which requires me to apply weight bothers it. For this reason I also had to stop doing DB Lunges which I was loving.

So I am going to schedule a meeting with a knee specialist. I am just hoping all is easily fixable. For now I will just try to work on exercises which are not bothering me as much. Oddly enough squats feel great.

fltallpaul
08-30-2010, 07:36 AM
Saturday August 28th, 2010

Skull Crushers
125x8, 4 sets

Close Grip Bench Press
225x10, 4 sets

Seated Incline DB Curls
40x10, 45x8, 50x8, 55x6

Hammer Curls
45x10, 55x10, 60x8, 65x8

Superset Cable Press down with Concentration Curls
190x15\35x8 2 times

25 minutes cardio

Saturday I drove over to Layne's house to hang with him and Isabel, train, and watch the UFC fights. Initially we planned to do an upper body workout but Layne needed to change his diet strategy so he did legs which I had already hit to days prior. I stuck with what I had been doing and hit arms while he did legs. We trained at Powerhouse in Tampa and I had a great workout. I could hear the screams and scrieks of pain as Layne busted his ass in the other room. After we were done we headed back to his house and enjoyed a swim in the pool and some food. One more week of high volume work and I am back into the Power Hypertrophy split.

fltallpaul
08-31-2010, 08:45 AM
Monday August 30th, 2010

Deadlift 315x8, 365x6, 405x6, 365x8, 315x8

Single Arm DB Row
100x10, 115x8, 115x8, 115x8, 100x10

Pullup
bwx6, LF 210x10, 230x10, 230x10, 230x10

Barbell Shrugs
225x10, 315x10, 335x8, 275x10, 275x10

DB Shrugs
115x10, 120x10, 115x10

10 minutes cardio

Back in the gym for a solid back session. This week I am adding another set to each exercise for 5 sets. The deadlifts felt great and after three weeks back doing them in higher volume I am starting to find my groove. I went up to 405 and got 6 without an issue. I see myself getting 405 for ten in the next few weeks depending on how I design my workouts. I still want to squat heavy as well so I have to be careful I don't over do things with my back.

Other than that I am just excited to get my diet and training in check and to become a better bodybuilder.

DAVIDHARDY
08-31-2010, 10:49 AM
Nice work. Deads are getting stronger.

fltallpaul
09-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Nice work. Deads are getting stronger.

I expect to get 405 for 10 and 500 for one very soon. Videos with them. Thanks.

you coming down for the NGA show in November? I am looking forward to a weekend on the beach.

DAVIDHARDY
09-01-2010, 08:06 PM
I expect to get 405 for 10 and 500 for one very soon. Videos with them. Thanks.

you coming down for the NGA show in November? I am looking forward to a weekend on the beach.

I would love to come down there, and I actually planned on it. One thing that is holding me back from those plans...Al Udied AB in Qatar. That is where I'll be spending my holiday season:-(. 4 months of not being able to see my woman, drive my own car, sleep in my king size bed, train in my gym, or control my diet outside of shakes and nuts is going to suck, but that's part of my life, so I'll embrace it and make the best out of it. Getting mentally prepared these last few weeks is harder than actually being gone. Once you're there, you just take it one day at a time and deal with it, but the anticipation of leaving everything is what really sucks. Ok, now i'm done with my sob story lol. If you get 405 for 10, then you should be pulling over 500, broseph. I only do 405 6 times, and could maybe pull it 8 if I wanted to, but I can single 550 on the regular. Once you hit that 405 x 10, you'll be past 500 in no time!

fltallpaul
09-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Thursday September 3rd, 2010

Squats
225x10, 315x6, 275x10, 295x8, 275x6drop225x6drop135x8

Cybex Leg Press
450x15, 630x12, 720x12, 810x10, 540x22

Leg Curl
130x12, 150x12, 170x10, 190x6, 170x8 SS with Leg Extensions 150x20 each set

I wanted to have some fun with legs and really push myself with some extra volume. Squats didn't feel really great but it shows me how far I have come to have an off day and still be able to use the numbers I did. I really want to get 315 for 10 and then go for a solid 405 rep before too long. My back was so fried from squats that I had to lay off the SLDL's. My back is still getting used to the high volume approach and wears out before my legs. I am sure this will resolve itself as each week passes.

Overall a great workout, still a nagging issue with my knee which prevents things like lunges and single leg pressing. I will get a professional opinion soon and hopefully get it resolved.

Friday September 3rd, 2010

Skull Cruhsers
125x10, 135x8, 145x6, 145x6, 125x8

Cybex Tricep Dip Press
130x15, 145x15, 145x15, 145x15

Seated Incline DB Curls
40x8, 60x4, 45x8, 45x12

Hammer Curls
45x10, 60x6, 45x12, 45x12

Tricep Pressdown SS with Concentration Curls
105x15 SS 35x10, 115x15 SS 35x10

I met my friend and co worker Robert at his gym for arms. The gym itself is nice and is still under construction. I got to work with Robert on his form which was pretty good and we kept a good pace. I had a solid pump in my arms and my strength is climbing again in all my arm movements. We also went over a few exercises he had some questions on and got him straight. It's always nice to help a friend and train with someone. We had a nice lunch after and then the lucky bastard went to get a massage...I got a hair cut, lol.

Saturday I will hit some calves, abs and cardio. Monday will be the start of a new program and some serious work will be put in to get stronger.

fltallpaul
09-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Monday September 6th, 2010

Tbar Rows
180x5, 5 sets

Lat Pulls Narrow Grip
180x8, 190x8, 200x8

Incline Bench Press
225x5, 5 sets

Incline DB Flyes
75x8, 80x8

Hammer Strength Tricep Press
270x8, 2 sets

Seated Incline DB curls
55x6, 60x6

Military Press Seated
185x8, 185x8

Well its time to get back into the good ole Power Hypertrophy Adaptive Training again. Adam and I will be training together for the power days as often as possible and certainly as we get closer to our PR's. My goals for my power movements are 315x5 on incline bench and 7 plates for 5(315lbs) on T bar rows. Tonight we get to indulge our lower bodies in a power day. We have not discussed the plan yet but I am sure squats, deadlifts, hack squats, SLDL's or something combo of those will be used. We will establish that tonight as well as some goals.

I plan to use this program for 6-8 weeks and then go back into a more traditional once a week program. I still plan to get my 400lb squat and 500lb deadlift by the end of the year. I am noticing some added thickness to my frame the last few weeks. I think the hypertrophy work has really been a nice addition so I expect great things from this program. I will also be continuing cardio a few days a week and trying to shave off a few lbs while getting stronger.

fltallpaul
09-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Tuesday September 7th, 2010

Squat 70% of 5 rep max
245x5, 5 sets

SLDL
225x5, 6 sets

Single Leg Calf Press
270x8, 315x8, 315x8

Seated Calf Raise
180x10, 225x8

20 minutes cardio, started with step mill then moved to bike after 5 minutes. Going to increase my time on the step mill going forward. This was the first time I tried it and it was pretty tough...got a good sweat going so that's a great sign.

Workout overall was pretty swift. The weights will get heavier each week and thus slow the pace. Tonight was just the beginning...or the calm before the storm. I am hoping to get 350 for 5 on squats in a few weeks and 405 for 5 on SLDL or RDL's...however you want to refer to them. Focusing on Hamstrings is my main goal. Night off Wednesday...then into the hypetrophy.

DAVIDHARDY
09-08-2010, 12:34 PM
I love the stepmill. Your glutes will be harder the next time you're on stage if you continue using it.

fltallpaul
09-09-2010, 02:47 PM
I love the stepmill. Your glutes will be harder the next time you're on stage if you continue using it.

My glutes will be harder because I will be so lean there is nothing left but muscle and skin!

I am going to give it a go tonight again. Looking forward to something new.

DAVIDHARDY
09-10-2010, 07:26 AM
My glutes will be harder because I will be so lean there is nothing left but muscle and skin!

I am going to give it a go tonight again. Looking forward to something new.

When you say muscle, do you say it the normal way, or do you accent the "c". I think it's more fun to accent the "c" lol.

I like doing HIIT on that thing; 130 steps a minuet for a minuet or 2 and then 60 steps a minuet for a half a min to a min. 20 min later, you're dead. Believe it or not, it actually helps with leg soreness when you do it after a leg workout.

fltallpaul
09-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Thursday September 9th, 2010

Holy crap its almost October...time flies!

Bent Over Rows
185x10, 225x10, 245x8, 185x12

Incline Bench
225x10, 3 sets

HS Iso High Pull Down
180x10, 230x10, 250x10, 270x8

Flat Bench
225x10, 275x10, 275x7

Single Arm DB Rows
100x10, 3 sets

Dips
BWx15, 3 sets

Lat Pulldowns SS with Machine Flyes
165x10, 230x10, 230x10 with 160x12, 190x10

HS Pullover machine
180x10, 3 sets

20 minutes cardio, 5 on stepmill to start

Do you ever have one of those days in the gym where the pump is so massive that your pretty sure you could stand next to Jay Cutler and hold your own? Perhaps a bit exaggerated but seriously one of the best pumps I can ever remember in the gym. By the time I was done with the workout I felt like a different person. My diet has been spot on all week, and I am getting leaner as well. The combonation of check and back together both filled with blood to the max is about the best feeling. Reminds me of Arnie's line in Pumping Iron. I also did some quick posing post workout just to see how I looked. I wear baggy shirts for the most part in the gym. I was really excited to see that I have absolutely added size to my back and chest. My back has really gotten a lot thicker from top to bottom and I plan to make my physique from last year look silly next time I am on stage.

Bodybuilding is such a long haul that anytime changes are visible it excites the senses. Tongiht I know for sure that I am improving. I will take some update pictures next time I have someone to take them. Perhaps Adam and I can shoot some video soon as well.

Tonight is hypertrophy leg day and I am excited to really beat my quads and hams into submission and make them continue to grow.

fltallpaul
09-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Friday September 10th

Hack Squats
360x10, 450x10, 450x8, 270x16

Squats
225x10, 225x10, 225x11

Cybex leg Press
450x15, 540x12, 630x12, 450x20

Leg Extension SS with Single Leg Curl
170x15 SS 70x12, 4 sets

SLDL
145x12, 195x12, 245x12, 245x12

Single Calf Press
270x12, 4 sets

Seated Calf Press
180x15, 180x15, 225x10, 180x16

Got in the gym Friday night with one thing on my mind. Build some legs that can't be beat! This is my baseline workout for each week. I was pretty happy with how quickly I got through this workout as I kept my rest minimal and was out of breath the entire workout. My left knee is still annoying me at various points. I have an appointment for next friday to find out what the deal is. Until then I will just play it safe avoiding the things that bother me like lunges.

Saturday September 11th, 2010

Seated Incline DB Curls SS with Hammer Strength Dip
40x10/270x10, 45x10/270x10, 45x10/270x10, 40x10/270x16

Hammer Curls SS with Skull Crushers
40x10/125x10, 50x10/125x10, 55x10

Cable concentration curls SS with Tricep Press
20x18/95x20, 25x12/95x20

Military Press
145x10, 165x10, 165x10

Smith Shrug SS with Side Lateral Raise
225x15/30x10, 275x12/30x10, 315x10/30x10, 315x10

DB shrug SS with rear delt raise
100x12/20x12, 110x10/15x12, 110x10

Side Lateral Raise Machine
110x16, 125x12

Saturday evening I met Adam at the gym for a nice arm and shoulder day. We supersetted everything for the most part and kept the pace quick. The first week has been completed for this program and I will say its been a great week. Sunday is a day off which I may use to do some cardio aand watch the Bucs get win number 1 on the way to the playoffs, :)

fltallpaul
09-14-2010, 07:08 AM
Monday September 13th, 2010

Tbar Rows
205x5, 4 sets

Iso High Row, Hammer Strength
230x8, 230x10, 250x10

Incline Bench Press 82.5%
254x6, 265x5, 265x5, 275x5

Low Incline DB Flyes
80x8, 90x8

320x10, 320x10

Seated Incline DB Curls
60x8, 60x4

HS Shoulder Press
140x10, 180x10, 180x10

at home ran 5 200 yard sprints

Week 2 of the PHAT and everything felt great. Adam and I worked together and will do so going forward on the heavy days considering a spot is very useful. I was pleased with how easy the heavy movements felt. The Tbar Rows were easy and the incline bench was as well. In a few weeks I may actually hit my goal on the incline. I will have to get a video when I do. The rest of the workout was great as I kept the weights pretty heavy and pushed hard. I can't wait for tonight and some heavy squats and SLDL's. I also felt like running out doors so I ran some 200 yard sprints behind my house. I will probably do this a few times this week. I prefer cardio outside when its feasible.

fltallpaul
09-15-2010, 07:18 AM
Tuesday September 14th, 2010

Squats
275x5, 4 sets

SLDL's
285x5, 305x5, 305x5, 305x5

Leg Press Single Calf Presses
315x8, 315x8, 315x8

Seated Calf Raise
225x8, 250x6

Week two of heavy squatting and things started really slow. The first set felt a little heavy but I think my body was still hungover from the leg trashing on Friday. After the first set the reps started coming a lot easier. Next week will be 300 for 5 reps so I need to get my rest and recovery working. This program is very taxing and takes some getting used to. Everything else felt great especially the SLDL's. I am confident in getting 365 and maybe 405 for 5 in a few weeks.

Tonight is a night off and I am going to take advantage of that fact with some extra rest and probably some cardio.

fltallpaul
09-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Thursday September 16th, 2010

Cable Pullovers
150x15, 3 sets

Bent Over Rows, Yates style underhand
135x10, 155x10, 175x10, 185x12

Incline Bench
225x10, 3 sets

HS Iso High Pull Down
180x10, 230x10, 250x10, 270x8

Flat Dumbell Bench
125x12, 125x10, 110x12

Single Arm DB Rows
100x10, 3 sets

Dips
BWx15, 3 sets

Pullups SS with Machine Flyes
165x10, 230x10, 230x10 with 160x12, 190x10

Really good back and chest workout which the pace was kept at full speed. i am really starting to get my endurance up for these workouts. I have also noticed some changes in my physique which is always a great thing when you have been training for as long as I have.

fltallpaul
09-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Friday September 17th

Hack Squats
360x10, 450x10, 450x8

Squats
225x10, 225x10, 225x12

Cybex leg Press
540x12, 630x12, 720x8 drop 540x10

Single Calf press SS with Single Leg Curl
270x12\80x12 4 sets

SLDL SS with Seated Calf Press
225x10\180x15, 245x10\180x15, 265x10\180x15

Leg Extension
190x12, 3 sets

Great workout with Adam, really fast pace after the heavy hack squats and I am really sore two days later, always a good sign.

Saturday September 11th, 2010

Seated Incline DB Curls SS with skull Crushers
40x12\110x12 3 sets

Hammer Curls SS with HS Tricep Dip
50x10\270x12 3 sets

Cable concentration curls SS with Tricep Press
40x12\195x12 3 sets

Hammer Strength Military Press SS with barbell shrugs
180x12\225x12, 3 sets

DB Shrug SS with Side Lateral Raise
100x12\30x12, 3 sets

Side Lateral Raise Machine
90x15, 3 sets

Worked out alone on Saturday evening and completed the entire workout in 45 minutes. I dropped the weights in a few instances to make sure I could keep the pace up. My enduracnce continues to improve with each week and I am starting to get in good shape as I push myself harder each week.

Mr.Bones
09-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Very nice lifts sir.

fltallpaul
09-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Very nice lifts sir.

Thanks buddy...I try...

fltallpaul
09-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Monday September 20th, 2010

Tbar Rows
225x5, 3 sets

Incline Bench Press 90%
285x5, 285x5, 285x5

Iso High Row, Hammer Strength
230x10, 280x8, 280x8

Low Incline DB Flyes
80x8, 85x8

320x10, 320x10

Seated Incline DB Curls
60x6, 60x6

Week 3 started of nicely with some heavy weights. The Rows felt heavy but good and the incline bench felt nice. I still got the sets without a problem so I have hope that 315 will fall in a few weeks. Overall a great workout as going a little heavier felt great. I skipped shoulders and will add them to another day. I don't like doing heavy shoulders after all the pressing work.

I also woke up today at a new low of 237. I had a pretty free weekend with the food so its good that I am able to keep the weight dropping without really adding much cardio. The workout speed has been a bit faster lately on the hypertrophy days and that is keeping my heart rate up.

I am leaving for Cleveland on Friday and I have my second Dr's appointment for my knee. The first one went well as nothing was found wrong. We are getting an MRI to reveal tissue other than bone. I am hoping its just an enflamed fat pad which is what the Dr. thinks. I took Aleve before my last leg day and that helped a bit. I am also on a prescription to reduce any swelling so hopefully tonight and Friday I notice a difference.

Mr.Bones
09-21-2010, 11:15 AM
How did you score in that PL meet ?

fltallpaul
09-21-2010, 01:11 PM
How did you score in that PL meet ?

Here is my post from the meet. 365\380\475 for a 1220 total.

Well Saturday came and went and it was exactly what I was hoping for. Everyone was really nice and helpful. The meet was run very smooth with plenty of time to get warm and organization so that we knew when we had to lift. My only concern was that we would be lifting so early when I am used to training at night. I got up a bit early, like 7am, so that I could eat a bit more before the meet. I had two large carb meals after weigh in's friday night. I weighed in at 241.8 and went to Outback for a steak and sweet potatoe. I went to bed nice early and felt refreshed.

The morning of the meet I had a big breakfast which started with Solution 5. I also downed a cup of rice. I had a few snacks and Xtend packed for the meet as well as the Quake 10.0. I was counting on Quake to get me pumped. After the athletes meeting at 9 we started getting loose for squats. I had my Quake at this time and instantly felt great. I walked on the treadmill and did my normal pre squat day routine including warming up my hips. My warmups went up to 315 since I had set my opener at 335. When the time came for my first lift I tried to block everything out and just focus on my checklist. I took the bar off, set my feet and waited for the judge. He gave the signal and I took a deep breath, filled up my belly with air to tighten my belt. First my hips dropped back and then the butt dropped. I got in and out of the hole with no problems, locked out at the top and re racked on command. Three green lights and my first lift was successful. I then told the MC that 355 would be my next lift. I got 355 but it didn't feel really easy. For my third I was a bit conservative and went with 365. 355 was the most I had ever done in the gym so I was happy. 365 actually felt easier that the 355 perhaps because I was concentrating on form and breathing a bit more. Either way, three green lights and its on to bench.

My bench opener was set at 335 so I warmed up to 315 as well. The 335 felt like nothing so I went up to my gym personal best of 365 for lift 2. Once again it went up easy to I went to a number I had never even tried in the gym, 380lbs. 380lbs started slow but moved up without an issue, another 3 green lights and its on to deadlift.

Deadlift was a question mark for me. The most i have ever done in the gym was 455 but that was for a double. I figure I would open with something easy just to see where i was so I used 425 and had no problems with it. I then figured i would do my gym PR and hit 455 pretty fast. I asked my friend Mike who had been helping me with my deadlift what he felt and he said I was good for 475 no problem...he said maybe 500. I figured 475 was a 20lb PR so that's what I decided. The weight went up without too much trouble and I kind of wished I had another lift to try 500. All is all it was a great day with 9 for 9 on my lifts and alot of new friends. I will continue to work on my squat and deadlift until they are where I want them to be. At this point I am pushing through all kinds of barriers I thought I had, turns out they were just mental barriers...not I am thinking I may have a 500lb squat, 400lb bench and 600lb deadlift in my future. Who knows.....

Here is the movie I made with all the lifts, hope you enjoy.
-9vf_oy293Y

fltallpaul
09-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Tuesday September 21st, 2010

Squats 90%
300x5, 300x5, 315x5

SLDL's
335x5, 335x5, 355x5

Leg Press Single Calf Presses
315x10, 340x10, 360x8

Seated Calf Raise
225x8, 270x6

It's starting to get heavy up in here! I was looking forward to this workout all day and once we got warmed up it was time for some heavy squatting. I need to get some video to keep myself motivated and show everyone my form but I assure you these are deep squats. The first set felt a bit heavy, the second felt less heavy and since Adam was pushing myself really hard I said screw it and threw on my weight for next week at 95%. 315 went up 5 times like nothing and afterwards I was a bit mad at myself for not pushing through a few more reps to see how many I could get. One of my biggest goals is to get 315 for 10 and I am in the ball park at this point....it will fall and I will get video.

SLDL's which may be RDL's depending on who you ask, doesn't matter to me as I feel all hams in the movement, well they felt really light. I will have no problem with 365 for 5 and may get 405 for 5 shortly. Even the calfs are getting stronger as I noticed I did more reps and added weight again this week.

Off night tonight and I am going to hit some softballs at the cages since we have our first game on thursday night. I am also going to get up at 5am on Thursday and do back and chest before work so I can play softball Thursday night...we will see how that goes.
Friday I leave for Cleveland for a family trip with Misty. I will be up there from Friday to Monday and looking for a gym to train at in Shaker Heights...holler if you know one!

fltallpaul
09-23-2010, 07:02 AM
Thursday September 23rd, 2010

Back and Chest Superset Superearly Superman workout

Incline Bench SS with Cybex Pulldown
185x10\210x12, 205x10\210x12, 225x10\210x12, 225x10\210x12

Flat DB Bench SS with DB Rows
100x10\100x10, 3 sets

Dips SS with HS ISO Lateral High Row
BWx15\180x15, 3 sets

Machine Pullover SS with Machine Flys
180x15\90x12, 180x15\90x12

A few years ago this workout would have been pushed back. When my priorities were not about building a Pro Champion physique I would often let scheduling conflicts influence my workouts. Since today is a work day and I have softball at night I could have easily just pushed things back a day...however that's not acceptable at this point. My routine is set and if I push a day back its sets me back much more. So today I woke up and was hitting the weights by 5:30am and done with the above workout by 6:15. I woke up in the middle of the night for a Solution 5 shake and had oats first thing in the morning with another scoop of Scivation Whey...the Quake 10.0 got me going and I could not be happier right now. I did lower the weights a bit to keep the pace up but I still got my heart racing and blood pumping to my entire upper body, there is nothing like a simultaneous back and chest pump. Arnold always felt there was a synergy between the two groups and I couldn't agree more.

Everything is moving along smoothly right now as my weight keeps dropping and my strength is still on the rise. I will be in Cleveland tomorrow afternoon with my family and I am looking forward to a weekend away from home...just to take a step back.

fltallpaul
09-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Monday Sepetember 27th, 2010

Tbar Rows
250x5, 3 sets

Incline Bench Press 95%
300x5, 3 sets

Hammer Strength Iso High Row
270x8, 290x8, 290x7

Incline DB Flyes
80x8, 90x7

Incline Seated DB Curls
65x5, 65x4

360x8, 360x7

Back in Florida after a long weekend in Cleveland, Ohio. Misty and I left early Friday for the gym and I killed legs in 45 minutes with non stop super sets. I also found a gym on Saturday and got my arm and shoulder workout in to ensure I didn't skip a beat. The weights felt great again last night so I didn't miss a beat with the travel. I was able to get 300 for 5 on incline and all three sets without a spot and complete range of motion. I am hopeful that next week 315 for 5 will fall. Tbar rows felt great too and its about time to break out the camera for a new round of filming. The next few weeks should see some great lifts in the gym starting with heavy legs tonight.

fltallpaul
09-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Tuesday September 28th, 2010

Squats 95%
315x5, 3 sets

SLDL's
365x5, 3 sets

Leg Press Calf Presses
360x8, 360x8

Cybex Calf Press
255x8, 255x8

This workout was a battle from the word go. I felt tired and beat up heading into the gym but knowing I was going to be busting my butt with squats I tried to prepare. I did manage to get all the sets but without having Adam there to spot me I would not have had the confidence to get the last few reps on a couple sets. Again it seemed like the first set was the hardest before i found my groove.

Next week I will film my sets and try for some new PR's like 325 for 5 on squats and maybe 405 for 5 on SLDL's.

I also woke up today at my lightest weight in a long time 235.5. I am sure I under ate a bit while out of town as some of my meals were just beef jerky but that's ok since I went shopping last night and my diet will now be on point. I will be sure to prepare well for next weeks attack on a few PR's.

fltallpaul
10-05-2010, 07:35 AM
Monday October 4th, 2010

Tbar Rows
270x5, 3 sets
yWJi3lIzzk0

Incline Bench Press
315x5, 305x3, 275x5
fYVeC_lTVfU

Cable Pulldown Narrow
200x10, 220x8, 220x6

Incline DB Press
90x10, 110x10, 120x10

Hammer Strength Dip Press
270x10, 360x8, 270x10

Seated Incline DB Curls
45x8, 50x6

Lateral Raise Machine
110x20, 140x10, 155x8

Heavy day in the gym and I was pretty pleased with how things went. Adam was in day one of his peak week training so he came by to film a few sets for me. I felt pretty good all day...nothing spectacular but I ate right and had plenty of energy. The Tbar Rows actually felt pretty easy and I was considering throwing more weight on but I already knew it was going to drain me a little for the incline sets. I kept the weight at 6 plates which is the most I have ever done for good form. I doubt another 25 or perhaps another 45 would have stopped me from getting 5 but I can do that another time. After warming up on the incline with 135x10, 185x5, 225x5, 255x2, 275x1, 300x1, I jumped up to 315. The first few reps felt pretty easy and I got 4 clean. The 5th rep my spotter jumped in and hit the bar as I slowed down. He has never spotted me before so I think he may have been a bit early and I could have struggled that last one up but that's ok. I am really happy with the progress I have made on incline as that's a PR for sure. I will be switching my chest power movement to flat bench again for a while shortly.

The rest of the workout was good as I kept it short and sweet. I tried to push myself a bit with triceps and shoulders. Training 5 days a week is really starting to take a toll with the heavy weights. Adam and I may switch to a 4 day routine to include more recovery while we continue lifting heavy.

Tonight is heavy squats and SLDL's. I will most likely go for 5 reps with 335 on squat and 405 on SLDL. I will have Adam film those with his phone as well.

Mr.Bones
10-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Holy shit I could never lift at 530 am lolz, damn props

fltallpaul
10-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Holy shit I could never lift at 530 am lolz, damn props

I am not a huge fan of that but you gotta do what's gotta be done!

fltallpaul
10-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Tuesday October 5th, 2010

Lower Power PR Day

Squat
335x5, 345x3, 315x5
93J2hEU8Kis

SLDL
405x5, 405x3, 385x5
x2-QUoFaX6M

Seated Calf Raise
270x5, 270x5, 225x10

With my upper body PR day behind me I was pretty excited to see what I could move for my lower day PR's. Last week heavy squats felt really difficult so I was worried today would be a problem. One thing I did change on my hypertrophy leg day on Friday was to lower the weight I squatted with and do some high reps. I think this may have helped because as soon as I started warming up my legs felt great. I started taking Aleve before each leg day to help with my knee and also noticed that is really helping. I had Adam film again and was able to set a PR with the 335 on squats for 5. After that I put 345 on and did a few reps. My next goal will be 350 for 5 and somewhere along the line I want to get 315 for 10. All of this will get my closer to that 405 squat.

The SLDL's were actually pretty tough as my hams were pretty shot from squats. I didn't do much warming up for this reason and went right into it. My first set went down pretty good and 405 felt nice. By the next set my hams were shot and I only got 3 so I dropped 20lbs and got 5 more. After some heavy calf stuff I spoke with Adam about his show this Saturday and went home to eat and relax. I will probably do one more heavy week and then move on to something new.

fltallpaul
10-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Thursday October 8th, 2010

Incline Bench SS with Single Arm DB Rows
185x10\90x10, 185x10\90x10, 185x10\90x10, 185x12\90x12

Flat DB Bench Press SS with Hammer Strength ISO narrow pull down
100x10\180x12, 100x10\180x12, 100x10\180x12, 180x12

Dips SS with Low cable Rows wide grip
BWx15\150x10, 3 sets

Pec Fly Machine SS with Cable Pullovers
70x10\150x15, 70x10\150x12, 70x10\150x12

Narrow Grip Pullups x10

Thursday was a busy day but I got it all done. After work I went to play softball at 6:30 and then headed back home. Misty and I had dinner and got to the gym around 9. I put the workout in high great and did everything supersetted with very little rest. My heart rate was up the entire time and the pump was intense. Nothing makes me feel like a bodybuilder than the upper body pump from a chest\back day with plenty of carbs.

Tonight is high volume leg day which I can't wait for. Last week was such a great leg workout and I am excited to have an even better one today. Adam's show is Saturday so I will probably skip the gym with all the running around. I plan to get up early and meet Adam at his place before heading to pre judging. I have faith that he is going to do very well at the OCB Southern Cross in Daytona, Fl. Layne and Tommy will be posing down about the same time in Cape Cod.

fltallpaul
10-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Weekend Recap

On Friday the 8th I trained legs after work. I hit some nice stuff like hack squat with 5 plates for 10 reps right after getting 4 plates for 12. I may try to get 4 plates for like 16-20 next time. Soon I hope to be pushing the 6 plate barrier on hacks. I also did alot of volume and felt it all weekend long from the hips down.

Saturday was my training parnter and friend Adam's first bodybuilding show. A few months ago we started working together and I setup his diet, cardio and training to peak for this contest. The show was the OCB Southern Cross Florida Natural Championships. This was a first year show run by Conrad Ried. Adam entered the Novice and Open catergories. I was fairly confident that no one would be leaner than Adam and that usually guarantees a good placing at smaller shows. I had no idea however what was in store for the night. At pre judging in the Novice heavy class I noticed Adam was the leanest as I suspected he would be. There was one other competitor who carried a good bit more muscle than Adam but he was not very lean and had no seperation anywhere below his waist. I felt confident Adam had his Novice class. In the Open class there were a few of the Master's competitors who looked pretty good but nothing that stood out to me so I felt Adam would have that class as well. I went backstage to help Adam pump and prepare at the night show with alot of confidence he would do well. They announced him as the winner of the Novice heavy class and he posed again with the light winner for the over all novice title.

Adam was much leaner than the light winner who did look really good and carried a solid amount of muscle. Adam was announced the winner again and came back stage for a short rest period before his next class. The winner of the open light class was a seasoned bodybuilder who also won best poser. His name is Robin and he won the overall title at the OCB Southeastern States in 2008 so I had seen him before. I didn't really have any expectations that Adam would beat him if he had the chance. Adam won his Open class and was called back on stage one more time for the overall judging and posedown. By this time Adam had begun to really tighten up from all the posing but I still knew he would have a tough time with Robin.

After a round of mandatories and the posedown they stopped the music. Adam's number was called as the overall winner. I was shocked and elated that my buddies hard work had paid off with dividends. I mean it was a successful day no matter the outcome as Adam had really worked so hard on all aspects but to win an overall your first time on stage is pretty amazing.

Adam's family was there and for most of them this was thier first time experiencing a bodybuilding show...and Adam won the whole thing, lol.
Needless to say we went to Outback and ate like Champions. Then followed that up by watching football on Sunday at a local bar with a bunch of friends. All weekend long it was just awesome as the teams i support won everything. Auburn edged Kentucky, The Ray's swept the Rangers in Texas, The Bucs won in Cincinatti on a last second field goal and even Misty's Seminoles won in Miami....

Lots of momentum this week for the gym!

Picture post contest with the bikini winner....
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/winners.jpg
it took me a minute to notice Adam in this picture too so just concentrate

fltallpaul
10-12-2010, 08:42 AM
Monday October 11th, 2010
Incline Bench
warmups, 315x4 drop 225x12
Flat DB Press
warmups, 125x12, 125x8
Incline DB Flies
60x8, 70x8
Dips
BWx15, BWx12
Machine Flies
70x12, 70x12
Standing Barbell Curls
Warmups, 115x6, 135x6
Hammer Curls
40x10, 50x8
Changing gears a bit and so this week will just be a transistion week. I decided I am going to get in and out quickly but doing some heavy work with two bodyparts a day. Last night was chest and bi's which is always a fun night. I was really happy I was able to get 315 on incline again with no spot. I kept up the heavy stuff and followed those sets up with some fast moving work as well. Overall a solid workout and tonight will be some heavy lower work.

fltallpaul
10-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Wednesday October 12th, 2010

Squats
135x10, 185x10, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5, 325x2, 275x8, 225x12, 185x15

Leg Extension
110x50

Got into the gym last night and just wasn't feeling it. I have been hitting the gym pretty hard for the last few months and I might need a mental break or a change of some sort. I am usually excited about each visit to the gym but for whatever reason that wasn't the case. Squats felt like a ton of bricks as well and I had not spotter so I just did what I could. I still managed to get some nice sets and then 50 reps on extensions was nice, that was actually my favorite part because it got me pumped and made my legs ache.

Adam and I will be working on a new program starting next week and I think that will be the kick start I need. Tonight I have softball and I may go to the gym Friday depending on how I feel and the plan Adam and I come up with.

I did see a picture of Bob Paris recently that I loved...this has always been my goal, what a perfect amount of mass and symmetry. It's great he walked away from bodybuilding because of the drugs required to compete at the highest level.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp229/smoothjazzjav/2000817768110682852_rs.jpg

Here is the closest thing of myself I could find. I need to motivate myself right now and perhaps some old school magazine pictures will do the job like they did when I was younger and felt like I was always a few workouts away from God status, lol.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/workout/mostmuscular110409.jpg

Mr.Bones
10-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Just need more back, and you will be Bob Paris. Totally achievable.

fltallpaul
10-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Just need more back, and you will be Bob Paris. Totally achievable.

Yeah I need to thicken the lats so they flare more, he was thick from head to toe.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Mr.Bones
10-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Np brah, doing any meets this year?

fltallpaul
10-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Np brah, doing any meets this year?

Yes once i have added to my total I will compete again. I probably won't until i am certain of a 400lb squat, 400lb bench and a 550lb DL. That would be a 1350 total and a 130lb improvement.

fltallpaul
10-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Monday October 18th, 2010

Deadlifts
315x10, 365x10, 385x6

High Cable Pull downs
100x10, 120x10, 120x10

Iso Lateral Low Row HS
180x10, 200x10, 200x10

Supported T bar rows, wide grip
70x10, 95x10, 95x10

Smith Shrugs
225x10, 315x10, 315x10

DB Shrugs
100x10, 115x10, 115x10

Back in the gym after taking a few days off to reset myself. I was really excited to get in and hit back for the beginning of the tri phase. Adam and I are going to adjust the workouts to our liking and may even change some of the length we use each of the 3 phases. Most important is that we get stronger and bigger. Tonights workout was just about getting in and finding a good routine. I am very happy with the exercises we picked and look forward to increasing each week. Last night we used a 1 second hold and slow negative on all reps to really ensure we are hitting the back properly. We kept everything far from failure and focused on form, pump and pace.

Deadlifts were remarkably easy considering I have not done them in a few months. I really think all the low squatting has made my lower back stronger. I am fairly certain will get 405 for 10 next week. I also feel like 500 will fall by the end of this circuit.

Tonight is an off night and I am excited about having more time out of the gym. Train heavy, rest, and grow...those are my goals right now.

Mr.Bones
10-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Days off make a guy feel awesome! I agrtee

fltallpaul
10-21-2010, 07:07 AM
Wednesday October 20th, 2010

Decline Bench Press
225x10, 275x10, 275x10

Incline DB Press
90x10, 100x10, 110x10

Dips
BW+35x10, 3 sets

Military Barbell Press
135x10, 155x10, 135x8

Side Lateral DB Raise
30x10, 3 sets

15 minutes bike cardio

Day one for chest and shoulders and the biggest change here is that we are going to use a decline movement for our first exercise. The new video series by Dorian Yates on bodybuilding.com highlighted this movement. Dorian claims its the best exercise for improving chest thickness. I always find it fun to add a movement I have not done much of so this should be a good one. I had a really sick pump after warmups and all the decline sets. Hopefully over the next few weeks there is some visible evidence of what Dorian believes.

The rest of the workout was pretty routine. Shoulders are really tough to hit after doing chest but our endurance will improve and allow more weight to be used going forward.

Dorian's video trainer series
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian-yates-blood-guts-6-week-trainer.htm

fltallpaul
10-21-2010, 07:07 AM
Days off make a guy feel awesome! I agrtee

It's really true. I think too often we get stuck going to the gym non stop when if we take little breaks the body recovers and we can get past platueas easier.

Mr.Bones
10-21-2010, 09:45 AM
I'd have to agree with Dorian on like you on this one. Decline is way underated imo.

And probably the reason many people have shitty chests is that they only do the incline which is alot of shoulders.

Here is a link to his video free. Dorian Yates - Blood And Guts - GUBA Video

Gerb
10-21-2010, 11:33 PM
you got some solid training going on in here. keep it up.

yeah, Paris had a great build

fltallpaul
10-22-2010, 09:52 AM
I'd have to agree with Dorian on like you on this one. Decline is way underated imo.

And probably the reason many people have shitty chests is that they only do the incline which is alot of shoulders.

Here is a link to his video free. Dorian Yates - Blood And Guts - GUBA Video (http://www.guba.com/watch/3000120608?duration_step=0&fields=8&filter_tiny=0&pp=5&query=796345&sb=7&set=5&sf=0&size_step=0&o=0&sample=1204809647:ad8e231ddfa3e0183607290322d4690d e9004d85)

My chest is plenty sore today so I am certain the decline hit it nicely. I am hoping the fact that I can handle heavier weights on the decline will also help my pressing for PL meets.

you got some solid training going on in here. keep it up.

yeah, Paris had a great build

Thanks Steve. I am often over in Tampa maybe one of these days we can get a session together.

fltallpaul
10-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Friday October 22nd, 2010

Hack Squat
360x10, 450x10, 450x7drop360x3(had to get 10 reps)

Squat
185x10, 205x10, 225x10

Cybex Leg Press
450x10, 3 sets

SLDL
225x10, 245x10, 265x10

Single Leg Curl
70x10, 80x10, 90x10

As I sit here typing this my legs are still throbbing. The workout on paper doesn't impress even me much but it was a great start to the Tri Phase leg routine. 5 Plates on the hack for 10 is a major accomplishment for me as I progress toward 6 plates for 10 and beyond. Evertying was a struggle after smoking quads first set but that is what I enjoy. My hams feel really strong lately but I didn't want to over do it too much with deadlifts coming again on Monday. Adam and I will be pushing the envelope over the next few months and this is just the beginning.

fltallpaul
10-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Saturday October 23rd, 2010

Standing Barbell Curl
105x10, 115x10, 115x10

Skull Crusher
125x10, 135x10, 135x8

Close Grip Bench Press
185x10, 225x10, 225x10

Hammer Curls
45x10, 55x10, 55x10

Seated Calf Press
180x10, 205x10, 205x10

Calf Extension Machine
180x10, 225x10, 225x10

Got in the gym early on Saturday for a great arm and calf workout with Adam and Misty. The end of week one of the tri phase. I was pretty run down after the entire week and felt my entire body really taking in all the work and recovering. I am hoping that week 2 brings some solid improvements in each lift and that we start to see some changes. Cardio and diet will be on point this week as well as the end of 2010 approaches I want to remain healthy and motivated.

Mr.Bones
10-25-2010, 10:18 AM
what is tri phase? Something you and Layne came up with?

fltallpaul
10-25-2010, 01:14 PM
what is tri phase? Something you and Layne came up with?

It's a training program written by Derek Charlebois. It's a free download. Basically its three phases which last 3 weeks each. Volume, Intensity and frequency. I enjoy it every time I do it and make some solid gains as well.

Here is the link.

http://scivation.com/books/triphase.htm

Mr.Bones
10-25-2010, 05:54 PM
OH I see, I remember Derek posting back in the day when the kid was a beast.

Now I see soft mush. See what marriage does to ya? lolz

Gerb
10-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Thanks Steve. I am often over in Tampa maybe one of these days we can get a session together.

I am actually in Orlando (it is just my team that is based out of Tampa). I live in Sanford/Lake Mary area. I was training at Golds Altamonte but I just let my membership expire and now I train at home. Where do you train? I'll be renewing my Golds in Jan more than likely.

fltallpaul
10-26-2010, 07:47 AM
OH I see, I remember Derek posting back in the day when the kid was a beast.

Now I see soft mush. See what marriage does to ya? lolz

Derek hurt his back a while ago and has been recovering but is just now starting contest prep for next year. I saw him in North Carolina a few months ago and he is one thick dude. Here is a picture from his journal on bodybuilding.com from the start of his prep.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t15/derekcharlebois/July%209%202010%201%20Year%20Out/1%20Year%20Out/SDC10957.jpg

I am actually in Orlando (it is just my team that is based out of Tampa). I live in Sanford/Lake Mary area. I was training at Golds Altamonte but I just let my membership expire and now I train at home. Where do you train? I'll be renewing my Golds in Jan more than likely.

I am a member of Gold's and LA Fitness. I like to keep both because my LA Fitness is only $20 a month and Gold's is just such a great environment. IFBB Pro's walking around and great equipment. I go to the one on Sandlake Rd. I live downtown just south of the 408 off Orange and Michigan. Let me know if you ever want to hit Gold's up.

fltallpaul
10-26-2010, 07:48 AM
Monday October 25th, 2010

Deadlifts
315x10, 405x10, 365x10, 335x10
zYun2gPbzRE

High Cable Pull downs
145x10, 175x10, 190x8, 175x10

Flex Fitness Low Row
4 sets of 10

90x10, 100x10, 100x8, 90x10

Smith Shrugs
225x10, 315x10, 315x10, 315x10

DB Shrugs
105x10, 115x10, 125x10, 125x10

Week 2 of the tri phase and the volume starts to creep up by adding a set to every exercise. My goal for this workout was to get the 405 for 10 on deadlifts which I did. However...the plates at this LA fitness were not round and the bar was rotating in my hands on each rep so I really had to fight with the grip even with wraps. I think next week we may head to Gold's for back day since they have a proper deadlift platform. After killing deadlifts the rest of the workout was exhausting. We still managed to really smoke all sets and make progress which is what matters. Tonight is a night for rest before we hit Chest and Shoulders on Wednesday. Thursday night I have tickets to go to opening night at the new Amway Arena as the Magic open against the Wizards. I predict the Magic will be 2-0 after game two in Miami the next day...we have always owned LeBron and that isn't going to change!

Mr.Bones
10-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Oh very nice, and Derek does look thick again!

Gerb
10-26-2010, 03:53 PM
I am a member of Gold's and LA Fitness. I like to keep both because my LA Fitness is only $20 a month and Gold's is just such a great environment. IFBB Pro's walking around and great equipment. I go to the one on Sandlake Rd. I live downtown just south of the 408 off Orange and Michigan. Let me know if you ever want to hit Gold's up.

for sure I will, I'll be renewing my golds in Jan. I train at the Dr Philips one quite often, do you know Julius?

fltallpaul
10-28-2010, 08:12 AM
for sure I will, I'll be renewing my golds in Jan. I train at the Dr Philips one quite often, do you know Julius?

I don't think i know Julius. Does he work there? If so I may know who you are talking about...thick dude if its him.

fltallpaul
10-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Wednesday October 27th, 2010

Decline Bench Press
225x10, 275x10, 315x10, 315x8

Incline DB Press
100x10, 125x10, 125x8, 110x8

Dips
BWx10, BW+50x10(3 sets)

Military Press
135x10, 155x10, 155x9, 135x10

Side Lateral DB Raise
30x10, 35x10(3 sets)

15 minutes bike cardio

Chest and Shoulders on tap this day and it was another great workout. The pump from the decline benching is just amazing. I have never used this as a primary movement before so its been fun to push some heavy weight and feel how it fills the pecs up. All numbers went up this week. Unfortunately the DB's only go to 125 so instead of going heavier I will have to do more volume. Shoulders were pretty fried by the time it came around so those weights were down but still up from last week. All in all a solid upper body couple of days and now its time to smoke legs again on Friday!

Mr.Bones
10-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Decline is technically the most optimal movement for your chest since mechanically that's how the chest works.

fltallpaul
10-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Decline is technically the most optimal movement for your chest since mechanically that's how the chest works.

Yeah I watched the series on bb.com with Dorian discussing that and figured I would give them a shot. I used to use them as a finisher when I was young. I have a feeling I will see some new thickness after a few weeks of this stuff.

fltallpaul
10-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Friday October 29th, 2010

Hack Squat
360x10, 450x10, 450x10, 450x8

Squat
185x10, 225x10, 245x10, 255x8

Cybex Leg Press Single Leg
90x10, 135x10, 135x10, 135x30

SLDL
225x10, 245x10, 265x10, 275x10

Single Leg Curl
80x10, 90x10, 100x10, 100x10

Solid leg day as I set another PR on Hacks with reps getting two sets of 10 with 5 plates. I purchased and used some knee wraps and really focused on using great form. We also decided to try single leg presses. I was concerned my knee was causing me to favor one side. this eliminated that possibilty and worked out nice as we felt our way through three sets before going all out on the last one. Now we know where we stand and can adjust as we go.
Tommorow morning is arms and calves...then on to week 3.

DAVIDHARDY
10-30-2010, 04:14 AM

They'll probably give you a "New year's resolution" special.

fltallpaul
11-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Saturday October 30th, 2010

Standing Barbell Curl
105x10, 115x10, 125x10, 135x6

Skull Crusher
125x10, 135x10, 145x8, 145x7

Close Grip Bench Press
225x10, 225x10, 225x8, 185x10,

Single Arm Preasher Curl
35x10, 40x10, 45x8, 45x8

Seated Calf Press
180x10, 205x10, 205x10, 205x10

Calf Extension Machine
180x10, 225x10, 225x10, 270x10

Another nice Saturday in the gym. Improved all my lifts and switched out Hammer Curls for single arm preacher curls. Week 3 begins tonight with some back and traps, can't wait.

Mr.Bones
11-01-2010, 10:56 AM
What are your stats Paul?

fltallpaul
11-01-2010, 12:55 PM
What are your stats Paul?

Stats?

6'3" 240lbs right now, 205 on stage.

fltallpaul
11-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Monday November 1st, 2010

Deadlifts
315x10, 405x5, 425x5, 365x8, 315x10

High Cable Pull downs
5 sets of 10

Low Row
5 sets of 10

80x10, 5 sets

Smith Shrugs
225x10, 5 sets

DB Shrugs
75x10, 5 sets

The third week of tri phase began with deadlifts and they were tough. I felt a bit off from the beginning of the workout so I knew it was going to be a grinding type day. 405 felt pretty heavy on the deads so instead of getting 10 I decided I would stop at 5 and go heavier. I often have this theory that on days when I don't feel strong I challenge myself to use less reps and more wieght. With deadlifts that was the case and so I put 425 on the bar and got 5. I could have powered through a few more reps but I felt like my body was not in tune with the lift. My lower back felt a pinge so I lowered the weight the next two sets and finished with tight form. Because the gym was so crowded the deadlifts took as an hour to get done with waiting and all. We decided to do the rest of the workout with no rest just back and forth. I don't recall all the weights exactly so I didn't worry about recording the ones I am not sure about.

I still have a slight pinge in my very lower back but nothing that is a major nuissance. I will ice and rest well this week and hopefully be ready to go friday for leg day. Wednesday will be a nice chest\shoulder day and hopefully my body responds better than it did last night.

Mr.Bones
11-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Shit, ur still going heavy on the shitty days. So I can imagine 500 on ur good days easy

fltallpaul
11-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Shit, ur still going heavy on the shitty days. So I can imagine 500 on ur good days easy

Yeah I try to not let a bad day ruin the gym. I always find if you push harder on your off days...your on days are that much better.

fltallpaul
11-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Wednesday November 3rd, 2010

Decline Bench Press
225x10, 315x10, 275x10, 295x10, 325x6

Incline DB Press
100x10, 125x9, 125x6, 110x8, 110x8

Dips
BW+50x10(5 sets)

Military Press
135x10, 155x8, 155x7, 135x8, 135x8

Side Lateral DB Raise
30x10, 35x10, 35x10, 40x10, 40x10

Chest and Shoulder night in the gym. It was a quiet night at LA Fitness so we moved pretty easily through things although the amount of volume kept us in the gym for quite a while. The decline felt a bit heavy this week so I backed off until the last set. Everything suffered after decline I am sure as a result of the added volume. Overall though I walked out of the gym with a serious pump and felt like I was wide as a house, lol.
Tonight is a night off from the gym and then a softball game later. Friday night I am going to hit legs right after work before going to see Jerry Seinfeld do some standup. I am pretty excited considering that Seinfeld is my favorite all time show and I can pretty much quote every episode word for word.
http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/jerry_seinfeld_superman1.jpg

Mr.Bones
11-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Nice workout brudda

But Jerry still works????????????????????????

fltallpaul
11-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Nice workout brudda

But Jerry still works????????????????????????

I don't think he feels its work, I think he is just doing what he loves to do.

fltallpaul
11-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Friday November 5th, 2010

Hammer Strength V Squat
180x10, 230x10, 270x10, 320x8, 320x8

Front Squats
95x10, 135x10, 155x10, 135x10, 135x10

Single Leg Press
135x10, 180x10, 180x10, 180x10, 180x22

DB SLDL(no rest between sets)
65x10, 75x10, 85x10, 95x19, 105x10

Leg Curls(no rest)
130x10, 150x10, 170x10, 170x10, 150x10

Saturday November 6th, 2010

Supersets performed for each exercise done

Skull Crushers SS with EZ bar standing curls
125x10\100x10, 125x10\100x10, 125x10\100x10, 125x10\100x10, 135x8\100x10

Close Grip Machine Press SS with Calf Press
225x10\400x15, 255x10\400x15, 275x10\400x15, 285x10\400x15, 295x10\400x15

Hammer Strength Preacher Curls SS with Seated Calf Raise
65x10\180x12, 65x10\180x12, 65x10\180x12, 65x10\205x10, 65x8\205x10

These were the workouts from the weekend with Adam. Friday night my back was a bit sore so we opted for a few unusual exercises to try and avoid furthering that problem. The V squat is something I have never used but liked the look of. Considering I was really sore all weekend I feel they did a great job. I prefer the hack squat more but its a great movement. I had not done front squats in a long time so Adam and I used a moderate weight. It was difficult to add weight to the bar since the shoulders and upper body were not used to it. I tried a set at 185 but the bar wanted to roll off. If we are going to continue with these we will have to perfect our form.

Saturday was a quick arm and calf workout as Adam was moving and wanted to get in and out. We still managed to use solid numbers and get a great pump. Overall a great weekend between the gym and the nice chilly weather here in Florida. It was nice to wear a jacket outside. Seinfeld was amazing and much better than I anticipated. He was full of life and just a very funny person and amazing stage presence. There were a few idiots in the crowd who would not let him continue with his act and just kept shouting Seinfeld references but he shrugged them off and kept going.

This week is going to be slightly different for training. Adam and I are going to compact our training and do all our work in three days so we can take the weekend off to go down to Ft. Lauderdale for the NGA Universe. Layne, Adam and I will all be staying at the same hotel so it will be a lot of fun to hang with them and Isabel. Misty and I are driving down on Friday afternoon since we are both off work. Hopefully this week goes smooth and the weekend gets here quickly.

Mr.Bones
11-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Loving those high reps!

Flex Wheeler always said he liked 15 + reps for legs and arms

nwtrnr1
11-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Great job man keep training, I'm planning on competing in the NGA next summer.

DAVIDHARDY
11-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Friday November 5th, 2010

Hammer Strength V Squat
180x10, 230x10, 270x10, 320x8, 320x8

Front Squats
95x10, 135x10, 155x10, 135x10, 135x10

Single Leg Press
135x10, 180x10, 180x10, 180x10, 180x22

DB SLDL(no rest between sets)
65x10, 75x10, 85x10, 95x19, 105x10

Leg Curls(no rest)
130x10, 150x10, 170x10, 170x10, 150x10

Saturday November 6th, 2010

Supersets performed for each exercise done

Skull Crushers SS with EZ bar standing curls
125x10\100x10, 125x10\100x10, 125x10\100x10, 125x10\100x10, 135x8\100x10

Close Grip Machine Press SS with Calf Press
225x10\400x15, 255x10\400x15, 275x10\400x15, 285x10\400x15, 295x10\400x15

Hammer Strength Preacher Curls SS with Seated Calf Raise
65x10\180x12, 65x10\180x12, 65x10\180x12, 65x10\205x10, 65x8\205x10

These were the workouts from the weekend with Adam. Friday night my back was a bit sore so we opted for a few unusual exercises to try and avoid furthering that problem. The V squat is something I have never used but liked the look of. Considering I was really sore all weekend I feel they did a great job. I prefer the hack squat more but its a great movement. I had not done front squats in a long time so Adam and I used a moderate weight. It was difficult to add weight to the bar since the shoulders and upper body were not used to it. I tried a set at 185 but the bar wanted to roll off. If we are going to continue with these we will have to perfect our form.

Saturday was a quick arm and calf workout as Adam was moving and wanted to get in and out. We still managed to use solid numbers and get a great pump. Overall a great weekend between the gym and the nice chilly weather here in Florida. It was nice to wear a jacket outside. Seinfeld was amazing and much better than I anticipated. He was full of life and just a very funny person and amazing stage presence. There were a few idiots in the crowd who would not let him continue with his act and just kept shouting Seinfeld references but he shrugged them off and kept going.

This week is going to be slightly different for training. Adam and I are going to compact our training and do all our work in three days so we can take the weekend off to go down to Ft. Lauderdale for the NGA Universe. Layne, Adam and I will all be staying at the same hotel so it will be a lot of fun to hang with them and Isabel. Misty and I are driving down on Friday afternoon since we are both off work. Hopefully this week goes smooth and the weekend gets here quickly.

I love the v-squat, man. When my lower back is tight, I use those. Have you ever done hacks with a bar instead of the machine? It's a little goofy at first, but I feel it better than the machine.

fltallpaul
11-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Loving those high reps!

Flex Wheeler always said he liked 15 + reps for legs and arms

I agree for legs, i always feel more growth in the higher rep ranges. For arms though I don't get nearly as high.

Great job man keep training, I'm planning on competing in the NGA next summer.

Thanks...that's great to hear.

I love the v-squat, man. When my lower back is tight, I use those. Have you ever done hacks with a bar instead of the machine? It's a little goofy at first, but I feel it better than the machine.

Yeah i was sore for a few days from that machine. I use the back squat machine exclusively. I have some serious goals for that thing before I move on, lol. My buddy did 7 plates for 14 reps and 8 plates for 5 on the same machine that I am currently doing only 5 plates for 10. I want to get up in the 6 plates for 10 range and know I have made some serious size and strength gains. It's like my personal battle!

fltallpaul
11-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Monday November 8th, 2010

Decline Bench Press
335x6, 335x6, 345x6

High Cable Rows
225x6, 240x6, 240x6

Military Press
185x6, 205x6, 225x6

Iso Lateral Low Row
270x6, 290x6, 290x6

Close Grip Bench Press
225x6, 275x6, 285x6

Smith Shrugs
315x6, 365x6, 315x6

Standing Barbell Curls
125x6, 135x6, 140x6

The second portion of the tri phase kicks in this week with upper body A and 6 rep sets. Many of the exercises I had to figure out what a good 6 rep weight was since we have been doing higher volume and often tired when we got to the above movements. Next week will be 4 reps and I will have a better understanding of where I am at. It still felt great to load the bar up with heavy weights and really go hard each set. Tonight is an off night and then we get to really push ourselves with some leg movements.

Mr.Bones
11-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Great shit right there, you got some pushing power.

fltallpaul
11-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Great shit right there, you got some pushing power.

thanks...i am working on the pulling and squatting power after years of focusing on upper body.

fltallpaul
11-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Wednesday November 10th, 2010

Hack Squat
470x6, 490x6, 500x6

Single Leg Curl
90x6, 110x6, 110x6

Seated Calf Raise
270x6, 270x6, 225x6

Single Calf press on leg press
360x6, 380x6, 380x6

I was really excited to test out some heavy weight in the gym. My lower back has been tight for a few days now so the plan was to take it easy and use power movements that don't involve back too much. The hack squat is one of my favorites and I set a personal record by getting 5plates + a 25 for 6 reps as my last set. The only problem is my knee acted up after that so I avoided anything else knee related. It still feels fine 99% of the time but when I am in the gym driving with force it gets weak. It's very frustrating so I think I am going to have to suck it up and pay the damn cost of getting an MRI which insurance does not cover.
Off night tonight and some softball before we leave tomorrow after hitting upper body.

Mr.Bones
11-11-2010, 10:39 AM
I've had problems with my knee over time as well, do you use wraps?

fltallpaul
11-15-2010, 10:26 AM
I've had problems with my knee over time as well, do you use wraps?

I just purchased some and will be using them going forward...

fltallpaul
11-15-2010, 10:26 AM
What a weekend. Misty and I had a great time in South Florida with some great friends and an awesome bodybuilding show, The NGA Pro Universe and American International Pro Qualifier. Layne took 4th place in an outstanding Pro Lineup...the best I have ever seen in person. David Lovelace won the overall with a physique that i have no doubt is one of the best natural physiques in the world. His conditioning was much improved from last year with separations in his hamstrings and glutes from top to bottom. It was scary how complete he is.

I did get into the gym Friday for heavy upper body again but this is just a recap of some of the lifts

Bodyweight Pullups, 30 Total
Incline Bench 295x6
Skull Crushers 155x6
Single Arm Preacher Curl 50x6
Upright Rows 105x6
Tonight Adam and I will be back at it with some added motivation from watching some amazing physiques.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/layne.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/fltallpaul/layneflex.jpg

Mr.Bones
11-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Cool stuff

mrky03
11-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Seriously insane conditioning! You have a very good physique! Layne is just off the hook, just keeps getting better!

fltallpaul
11-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Cool stuff

Seriously insane conditioning! You have a very good physique! Layne is just off the hook, just keeps getting better!

Thanks...Layne is a great guy. I am looking forward to hanging with him not in contest prep mode. We are going to a Bucs game later this year...should be fun.

fltallpaul
11-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Monday November 15th, 2010

Decline Bench Press
335x4, 365x4, 365x4

Cable Pulldown Narrow Grip
240x4, 255x4, 255x4

Military Press
225x4, 235x4, 250x4

Hammer Strength Iso Low Row
320x4, 360x4, 360x4

Close Grip Bench Press
245x4, 265x4, 275x4

Standing Barbell Curls
125x4, 145x4, 145x4

Smith Shrugs
315x4, 365x4, 365x4

Back in the gym with some extra motivation from watching so many Pro's compete. I felt pretty strong on all the lifts. The decline bench is getting really heavy as I notice the most difficult part for me is keeping my wrists locked in position. After each set on decline my forearms are exhausted and take a moment to loosen up. I was very happy with all my pressing movements tonight, especially the military press which is the most I have ever tried. I am also brining the bar down very low on each rep.
Tonight is a night off and then legs Wednesday. I am curious to see how my knee feels this week. I may not use as much weight and focus on avoiding any discomfort.

Mr.Bones
11-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Still, very strong pressing bro. I have kind of the same problem with my wrists slighly on decline as well.

DO you find flat is easier in some aspects? I do.

fltallpaul
11-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Still, very strong pressing bro. I have kind of the same problem with my wrists slighly on decline as well.

DO you find flat is easier in some aspects? I do.

I don't remember having any issue with flat benching and my wrist\forearm like this. Although I don't usually get much over 315 on flat. I did get 380 at the meet but one rep is different than training for higher volume.

fltallpaul
11-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Tonight I get back into the gym...I missed Wednesdays workout. One of my closets friends had his son so I went to the hospital for support. To be honest it was very life changing to see my friend actually grow up right before my eyes. I was expecting him to be his normal hyper, nervous self. Turns out he was the voice of reason and very level headed through the entire thing. It was amazing to see the bond between him and his girl as they awaited for their son. Today after the gym I am going to see them and I looke forward to seeing how things have evolved since Wednesday.

mrky03
11-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Awesome number's, I really enjoy that style of training. Hacks are hard on my knees also, I don't use them very often but I do like them.

fltallpaul
11-22-2010, 07:59 AM
Awesome number's, I really enjoy that style of training. Hacks are hard on my knees also, I don't use them very often but I do like them.

Thank you...I am working on finding a new form for leg stuff which eases some knee pain.

fltallpaul
11-22-2010, 07:59 AM
Friday November 19th, 2010

Incline Bench
295x4, 305x4, 315x4

Pullups
BW total 32 reps

Upright Row
125x4-3 sets, last set drop set

Cable Rows wide\high
160x4, 175x4, 190x4 dropset

Skull Crushers
155x4, 165x4, 165x4

Single Arm DB Preacher Curl
50x4, 55x4, 55x4

Saturday November 20th, 2010

Deadlifts
365x4, 365x4

Hack Squats
450x4, 450x4...lots of drop sets

Single Leg Curl
125x4, 125x4

Single Calf Press
405x4, 405x4...

Got into the gym early on Friday and had a good session with Adam. All the strength numbers on the upper body are excellent for me. My lower body seems to be giving me hassles right now now a sore lower back and knees. I decided to give Saturday a go and focus on trying to find where I am at. I did do some deadlifts with moderate weight which felt fine. I was a bit stiff on Sunday but nothing too bad. I may continue to rest as I don't quite feel 100% yet with those. I did however alter my stance on the hack squat and put my feet in a position further out and more narrow. I found this relieved some stress on my knee. I did some really slow and controlled reps with 5 plates and could have done more but instead opted to just do lots of sets with less weight. It was a good start to feeling better as my knee didn't bother me at all.
I also got an email this weekend from Josh at bodybuilding.com that I was named bodybuilder of the week...here is the link.

http://www.bodybuilders.com/amateur.htm

Mr.Bones
11-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Congrats on bodybuilder of the week!

And what's up with the knee's and back? Just wear and tear?

I notice no numbers past 6 reps, is this a strategy?

fltallpaul
11-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Congrats on bodybuilder of the week!

And what's up with the knee's and back? Just wear and tear?

I notice no numbers past 6 reps, is this a strategy?

My knee has been an issue for a few months. I have been working around it. Loss of strength in a tendon or something. Had an xray and no damage. MRI will cost me $500 so I am trying to rehab myself but may have to get one anyway. My back is just sore from deadlifting and squatting for a few months straight I think. I strained it a bit but nothing too bad.

I am still doing the tri phase, right now is the middle phase which is progressively heavier loads. First week was 6 reps, then 4, this week is 2 reps so basically all out for 3 sets on each exercise. I begin to miss the volume but its a good change of pace for the body to go heavy and also building confidence to use higher numbers when I return to volume.

Mr.Bones
11-22-2010, 07:57 PM
My knee has been an issue for a few months. I have been working around it. Loss of strength in a tendon or something. Had an xray and no damage. MRI will cost me $500 so I am trying to rehab myself but may have to get one anyway. My back is just sore from deadlifting and squatting for a few months straight I think. I strained it a bit but nothing too bad.

I am still doing the tri phase, right now is the middle phase which is progressively heavier loads. First week was 6 reps, then 4, this week is 2 reps so basically all out for 3 sets on each exercise. I begin to miss the volume but its a good change of pace for the body to go heavy and also building confidence to use higher numbers when I return to volume.

I had chronic problems with my right knee. My 02 cents: Don't go heavy on leg extensions, warm up for 5 minutes on the treadmill, and then stretch before any leg workout.

Oh I see, going up and up!

Gerb
11-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Friday November 19th, 2010

Incline Bench
295x4, 305x4, 315x4

Pullups
BW total 32 reps

Upright Row
125x4-3 sets, last set drop set

Cable Rows wide\high
160x4, 175x4, 190x4 dropset

Skull Crushers
155x4, 165x4, 165x4

Single Arm DB Preacher Curl
50x4, 55x4, 55x4

Saturday November 20th, 2010

Deadlifts
365x4, 365x4

Hack Squats
450x4, 450x4...lots of drop sets

Single Leg Curl
125x4, 125x4

Single Calf Press
405x4, 405x4...

Strong numbers Paul! Keep it up.

fltallpaul
11-23-2010, 08:27 AM
I had chronic problems with my right knee. My 02 cents: Don't go heavy on leg extensions, warm up for 5 minutes on the treadmill, and then stretch before any leg workout.

Oh I see, going up and up!

I have cut out leg extensions all together for right now. It's funny because last year during prep I was going the entire stack for 12 reps no problem at the end of the workout.

Strong numbers Paul! Keep it up.

Thanks Steve...only way to grow is to challenge myself.

fltallpaul
11-23-2010, 08:28 AM
Monday November 22nd, 2010

Decline Bench Press
385x2, 405x2, 385x2

High Cable Pulldowns, Narrow Grip
255x2, 275x2, 275x2

Military Barbell Press
255x2, 265x2, 255x2

Hammer Strength Low Row
360x2, 380x2, 380x2

Close Grip Bench Press
315x2, 335x2, 335x2

Standing Barbell Curl
155x2, 160x2, 165x2

Smith Shrugs
315x10, 3 sets

Last week of the Tri Phase Intensity portion and I will say it has been a success. I have PR's in every upper body lift I have done. I look forward to taking this new strength and using it towards building more muscle through heavier volume training. It's always fun to push around heavy weight. Moving 405 on the decline was pretty cool, i look forward to doing that on the flat bench in the coming months, perhaps at a competition.

Mr.Bones
11-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Awesome benching bro, 405 is fucking beastly.

You went up pretty damn fast in weights

DAVIDHARDY
11-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Man, you're strong!