PDA

View Full Version : The winner is...

esplendido
03-05-2010, 09:21 PM
It was a hard fought battle. Mike with size, Paul with conditioning the crowd loved it and both of them. In the end..,,,

......it was a tie!!! Both men got first place prizes! Congrats to both for the hard work and good nature to stand up in front of the Expo crowd and bare all! I'm proud of you guys!

freebirdmac
03-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Now that is a very cool result! Major props to both of them :yep:

Baldiewonkanobi
03-05-2010, 10:31 PM
The got it right :yep:

Baldie

ParadiseCup
03-06-2010, 06:43 AM
Congrats to both you guys !!

Neal Grossman
03-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Congratulation to Mike and Paul. Thank you both for sharing the journey.

Neal

DBowden
03-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Congratulations guys.

buckimscl
03-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Congrats guys!!!

joedemarco
03-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Great job to both of you!!!

bodyhard
03-06-2010, 11:03 AM
I don't agree with a tie, that's like a kids softball game where they play with no score.

Someone should have won these guys bust their butt to get recognize . Although both men are winners for giving it their all one of them should have been the victor.

There is no crying in bodybuilding.

joedemarco
03-06-2010, 11:14 AM
I don't agree with a tie, that's like a kids softball game where they play with no score.

Someone should have won these guys bust their butt to get recognize . Although both men are winners for giving it their all one of them should have been the victor.

AGREED! Good Post.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-06-2010, 01:04 PM

That was kind of how I felt about it as well.

bodyhard
03-06-2010, 03:48 PM

You have every right to feel that way about it, you and Mike, you guys bust your ass. I doubt anyone of you would have had your feelings "hurt" if you lost. You both know you guys already won in the great scheme of things, but at he very least, only you two guys showed up, so one of you should have walk away the victor.

IMO a tie was a slap in the face for both of you.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-06-2010, 04:01 PM
We knew they were winners before they left home..

bamazav
03-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Congrats to both. All the hard work is paying off, lets see what happens in the future.

Curt James
03-07-2010, 01:36 PM
(snip)

......it was a tie!!! Both men got first place prizes! Congrats to both for the hard work and good nature to stand up in front of the Expo crowd and bare all! I'm proud of you guys!

A what?

You have every right to feel that way about it, you and Mike, you guys bust your ass. I doubt anyone of you would have had your feelings "hurt" if you lost. You both know you guys already won in the great scheme of things, but at he very least, only you two guys showed up, so one of you should have walk away the victor.

IMO a tie was a slap in the face for both of you.

I wouldn't see it as a slap in the face, but I doubt I would have voted for that conclusion. They could have simply given a righteous prize package to the "loser".

Don't believe I've ever heard of a tie in physique competition. :dunno:

Regardless, congratulations to both athletes! :bowdown: :beerbang:

bodyhard
03-07-2010, 07:10 PM
A what?

I wouldn't see it as a slap in the face, but I doubt I would have voted for that conclusion. They could have simply given a righteous prize package to the "loser".

Don't believe I've ever heard of a tie in physique competition. :dunno:

Regardless, congratulations to both athletes! :bowdown: :beerbang:
So what do you see it as then? Definitely wasn't a good decision at all. I know if it were me I would, at the very least want to know if the time and effort I put into my training and diet, was good for a victory or not.

So if all the men who originally signed up for this challenge show up, would it have been an all out tie? I doubt it, but because it was only 2 men who showed up, they figured hey, both of these guys at least showed up, lets not let any of them down and just give them both the trophy, to me that is a slap in the face.

Two men showed up gave it their all, the winner should have been given the acknowledgment.

Curt James
03-07-2010, 07:22 PM
^They were both acknowledged.

I wasn't there, wasn't a judge, don't know jack. Just looking at it as a self improvement contest (where there is precedent for ties) rather than a physique competition (where there is less, I'm almost certain).

Kudos to both men for getting in great shape.

A "slap in the face" would have been - from my perspective - if the contest organizers had canceled because "only two" athletes showed up.

I can only guess that someone said, "Hey, they both look great. Let's make it a tie and award the first place prize to both of them."

Canceling was an option, selecting an overall winner was an option, awarding both men "first prize" was an option.

Again, canceling the show would have been a slap in the face. Applauding them both and saying "Well done!"? Not a slap.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-07-2010, 07:46 PM
I think this falls into the category of "it is what it is."

Curt is right in that they could have cancelled it, and did not. I got a PM back from Dave Palumbo to the effect that even if just I showed up (1 person!) they would have me pose and give me a prize.

As I thought through this, part of me wondered if our collective Masters workout at Metro Fitness Gym the next morning would've been as cordial if one of us had been declared a winner, and one as the 2nd place finisher ... I felt that way for a while.

But then I reverted to bodyhard's position: Dammit, I went to "war" with these guys for weeks! I printed out and taped up pictures of Mike and Bucki in the pantry next to the peanuts, with large lettering that said:

If you eat any peanuts / cashews / or almonds that are NOT on your list, these guys trash you in Columbus!!

So, after bringing what I could to the Expo, a tie seemed kinda like ... well, kissing your sister. (Curt, who said that? My dad used to always quote that. I think it was some pro sports coach.)

Baldiewonkanobi
03-08-2010, 06:56 AM
I dunno. Win, lose, tie...dunno. Thinking about it further, would not have worked for me.

In my case I have bunch of adversaries stuck onto a shelf right now above my puter. Post-it notes. "Self", "Pain is my friend", "Last chance", "National Champion", "Hunger is good", "2nd place is last place", "Again", "I'm a Bodybuilder", "Fuck the other guys", "I have no friends in this game".

Bodybuilding is all about the ME. When I am done with the ME then I have time for you. "But Baldie you said all along it's about the journey". "Yes Grasshopper, but the journey began with one step and has continued to but one goal....WINNING".

Baldie

Bob45
03-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Was there a panel of judges there when they were posing? I didn't see any in any pictures. There is usually a problem even if there is a declared winner. This one or that one should have won. You can never make everyone happy no matter what. There was nothing said that this was going to be a regular contest with judges. Not a lot of info was given. I was in two shows. Got a second and third. The winners were coming up to me saying they knew the judges and I should have won. Who knows? I didn't like it either.

You can pick both guys apart and who knows who would have won? They look close in the pictures. One had something the other didn't in a lot of areas. They both did bust their ass. They did get something out of it too. They both now look fantastic. It is not something you just do to look that good for the hell of it.

gman
03-08-2010, 01:44 PM
It was crowd applause that determined the winner and it really was pretty even...I do think Paul's was slightly louder, and he was in much better condition than I am.

I do wish we had won something for sticking it out, like at least a tub of Isolyze or a Species gym bag, I would have done it either way, but we really busted ass for this and I was disappointed really in the lack of prizes other than a shirt I can't wear because two of me fit in it!

bodyhard
03-08-2010, 09:21 PM
It was crowd applause that determined the winner and it really was pretty even...I do think Paul's was slightly louder, and he was in much better condition than I am.

I do wish we had won something for sticking it out, like at least a tub of Isolyze or a Species gym bag, I would have done it either way, but we really busted ass for this and I was disappointed really in the lack of prizes other than a shirt I can't wear because two of me fit in it!

Mike if the crowd determined the winner a lot of Olympias wouldn't be Mr Olympia :D

But seriously though, you guys both bust your ass, in the pics, you clearly had more size and P had the conditioning, but I am more than sure seeing you guys in person a lot more would have been seen.

axioma
03-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Hey, look at it this way, since they BOTH won then they BOTH get to go to Cancun on Esplendido, right? Wasn't that part of the package? No slap here, just double the fun!
Okay, time to start some new threads too. Let's tidy up, reevaluate goals and get back to business. Great job to everyone, even the cheerleaders who helped keep the guys on track through thick and thin. It takes a village....or something.

esplendido
03-10-2010, 03:34 AM

Woooooah! You guys were supposed to win more than that. I'm taking this to da man!

gman
03-10-2010, 05:59 AM
not necessary Rick, but if you do it wouldn't hurt my feelings!

I am so glad I did it, I don't really have too much of a gripe because it helped get me over the hump on finally losing a big part of my fat!

Baldiewonkanobi
03-10-2010, 06:06 AM
Woooooah! You guys were supposed to win more than that. I'm taking this to da man!

The old..."Mom and Dad just got back from a trip around the world and all they brought me was a damn T shirt"...

Baldie

bodyhard
03-10-2010, 11:05 AM
The old..."Mom and Dad just got back from a trip around the world and all they brought me was a damn T shirt"...

Baldie

LMFAO!!! Nice. :yep:

esplendido
03-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Dave has been informed and was surprised. They were supposed to get a prize package. I'm sure he will make it right.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Dave has been informed and was surprised. They were supposed to get a prize package. I'm sure he will make it right.

Cool! Thanks for checking into that.

gman
03-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks, Rick! I am sure it was due to the constant state of confusion around the expo hall...what a zoo! I loved it.

axioma
03-10-2010, 01:19 PM

excellent!

gman
03-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Dave really is a stand up guy, so I am not surprised...he has a fan/customer for life for doing this.