PDA

View Full Version : Dead lift!

Deimos Anomaly
03-10-2009, 10:08 AM
I've become addicted to the dead lift. I've come to realize is that this exercise is the best key to my personal muscle growth.

At the beginning of january I started seriously dead lifting and have gone from being able to do 264lbs*8 to doing 319*8. The euphoria I experience after dead lifting is awesome, especially when breaking my personal records!

Anyone else a fan of this king of exercises?

Ninja Loco
03-10-2009, 03:03 PM
5'7, 180ish.

Started with 315 three years ago and got up to 365 for 6. Then I stopped alltogether. Last week I got 405 for 6 after a set two and a set of four. I didnt think I could do it because 365 still kicks my ass so much but I did. I think I can get 450 for one or two. Will try this week. 405 x 6 made me feel euphoric, not tired at all. Strange........

BEAST MODE
03-10-2009, 03:06 PM
I love deads. I used to be able to handle 375 for 6 at 180 lbs, but I injured my back and can't do them at all anymore. Awesome exercise if you are able to do it though! Love that head rush after doing a heavy set.

Youngguns
03-10-2009, 03:10 PM
At the time I was 195 at 5'8'' training for less than 2 years. I got 405x6. I was deadlifting weekly (only 6 reps for 4 sets at the beginning of the workout).

It took so much out of my I avoided them like the plague for a YEAR. I've only started to get back into them at 2 sets when I'm done my back workout. 135x12 and 225x9 so far.

Koubs
03-10-2009, 03:52 PM
I'd like to add a couple questions I'm curious about for you guys on these:

Do you "pause" in between each rep?? Meaning do you briefly let the weight rest on the floor? I know some do that...

What is your preferred rep range on deads?? Usually seems like most people take these real heavy at the beginning of a workout, but like youngguns suggested he does them lighter and as his last exercise...

Do you always perform them "fresh" at the beginning or where do you place them in your workout? Why?

BEAST MODE
03-10-2009, 03:53 PM

Do you "pause" in between each rep?? Meaning do you briefly let the weight rest on the floor? I know some do that...

What is your preferred rep range on deads?? Usually seems like most people take these real heavy at the beginning of a workout, but like youngguns suggested he does them lighter and as his last exercise...

Do you always perform them "fresh" at the beginning or where do you place them in your workout? Why?

When I did them, I did not pause between reps unless I felt my grip slipping. My rep range was usually 4-6 or 6-10 depending on when I did them in the workout. Earlier was lower reps, later was higher. I liked to do them at the beginning so I could go heavier.

Ninja Loco
03-10-2009, 04:02 PM
No pause. Just a floor tap. Keeps constant tension.

robert da strongman
03-10-2009, 04:04 PM
i train for the pause.
because i have to in competition

Big Al
03-10-2009, 04:05 PM
I did 405x5 last week. I am 6'3 around 255lbs. Doing it without a pause, almost touching the floor. My absolute best was 525lbs for one rep up from the floor and back. I was about 230lbs at that time and almost dropped the balls doing that.... :)

Deimos Anomaly
03-10-2009, 04:06 PM

When I'm doing my heaviest set I do pause ever so shortly between the last few reps. Maybe a second or 2. Just to make sure my form stays perfect while I struggle to get the weight up.

I've been doing deads after squats for the past 2 months. I didn't do squats last sunday and my results were much better on the dead lift so I'm changing my split to be able to go all out on both.

I feel that when I do about 8 reps my nervous system doesn't take such a big blow as with lower reps.

bigtimektz
03-10-2009, 05:04 PM
I just put Deads back into my back rotation.
I always make it my last exercise, when I do back I do two exercises. One for width, one for thickness. That way once Im done with the deads I can go home. My rep range for deads is usually 4-6 and 6-8.

Deimos Anomaly
03-10-2009, 05:49 PM
I just put Deads back into my back rotation.
I always make it my last exercise, when I do back I do two exercises. One for width, one for thickness. That way once Im done with the deads I can go home. My rep range for deads is usually 4-6 and 6-8.

Judging from your avatar that seems to work really well for you!

bigtimektz
03-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Judging from your avatar that seems to work really well for you!

Thanks but that pic is almost a year old. I'll post a new one, once I shed some winter fat.

anthony1992
03-10-2009, 07:57 PM
No pause. Just a floor tap. Keeps constant tension.

this is how i do them too

raylove
03-10-2009, 10:11 PM
I LOVE THE DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!! heaviest i got up to was 500 for 6 reps at about 230 lbs 6' tall i did however hurt my back going too heavy and the weight like pulled my shoulder forward to much which stretched my lower trap muscle and lower lat too much and now it feels like its pinched whenever i go super heavy.

tiramisu
03-10-2009, 10:36 PM
I do deads once every 8 days.

JohnnyMuscles
03-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Do them every week, when I started I was just using 135 for reps now my max is 465. I like to pause a little as I feel like there is less of a chance for me to hurt myself that way. I never benched 300 until I started deadlifts the overall core strength is provides for your body is unbelievable. Def my favorite exercise.

greuceanu
03-12-2009, 04:23 PM

Yeah, i love deadlifts too.

ANABOLIC1
03-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Deadlifts - here me now - are necessary for maximum size.

Done them since day 1, routinely going to 675 for triples.

You will grow like a fucking weed doing these correctly and mark my words - they are necessary.

poiuyt
03-15-2009, 08:02 AM
I deadlift every single week.
Recently started DB deadlift. Technique is similar except it allows for a better contraction on top. First time i switched to DB DL i fely my back for 3 days...

HeavyDutyGuy
03-18-2009, 03:28 PM
I've become addicted to the dead lift. I've come to realize is that this exercise is the best key to my personal muscle growth.

At the beginning of january I started seriously dead lifting and have gone from being able to do 264lbs*8 to doing 319*8. The euphoria I experience after dead lifting is awesome, especially when breaking my personal records!

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Welcome to the club! Just be careful to keep your form intact, and protect your lower back. If you're healthy and can do them, well there's really nothing quite like them- at least for upper body.

Blue and Gold
03-20-2009, 01:18 AM
Does anyone else rip the shit out of their shins and bleed everywhere on their heavy lifts or is that just me?

Deimos Anomaly
03-20-2009, 04:01 AM
Does anyone else rip the shit out of their shins and bleed everywhere on their heavy lifts or is that just me?

I know I do! For me this has to do with my body height. I resorted to wearing soccer shin-pads to prevent any permanent damage after tearing up my shins in the same spot week after week.

Ninja Loco
03-20-2009, 04:07 AM
Nope, I do too. Both my shins have scars all the way up. I bust a new one almost all the time.

red barraca
03-20-2009, 11:56 AM
495lbs x2,but my workouts i pretty much stay at 315-350,8-15 reps

KEVDIESEL
04-07-2009, 08:46 AM
love deads i mix it up with wide grip or snatch grip whatever you wanna call em. those really hurt.

Shadow
04-07-2009, 10:57 AM
I injured my back a while back doing 315 on the stiff-leg variety, for 10 reps. I stayed away from them for a long time, just getting back into them at the end of last year. I do them last now after a full back workout. I can get 225 for 10 reps.

txmuscle
04-07-2009, 11:25 AM

You're not alone. It happens to me every time. My shins are all bruised up from the bar sliding up and down it

Shadow
04-07-2009, 11:27 AM

I've never ripped my shins up.

Por2gue
04-07-2009, 02:33 PM

Yes, I always deload the weight for that split second.

Diabetic Muscle
04-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Hate to be the pansy here but I did set a new personal best tonight. 315 for a single. Previous best was 225 for a single. Try not to laugh too hard.

Formula94
04-08-2009, 01:27 AM
You gotta start somewhere buddy and that ain't exactly a pansy weight either.

Since I don't compete in PL I like to start my deads from the top position rather than pulling from the floor...just feels safer and more controlled. Plus I can pull more weight, haha. I was happy that I got 425 for 5 last night...new PR for me!

Ryan Bracewell
04-08-2009, 07:26 PM

The best lift anyone can do to build overall size or strength. If I was limited to only one exercise(in bizarro world) for the rest of my life I would pick deadlift.

captaincardio58
04-08-2009, 07:30 PM
when i started dc i was at 365 for 6 now im at 510 for 6 dead stop on the floor slow negative...i love em i scare all the wanna bes in bodybuilding.com shirts away from free weight section haha

timmytimm3
04-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Definately my strongest exercise. My best was 315x4 (5'9" 160lbs)

Razer
04-10-2009, 12:13 AM
when i started dc i was at 365 for 6 now im at 510 for 6 dead stop on the floor slow negative...i love em i scare all the wanna bes in bodybuilding.com shirts away from free weight section haha

Captaincardio58, do you follow these up with a widow maker set? I've just started back with DC and deadlifts are in my next workout. I use to make it a number thing but now for me it's more about correct form so I only pull a max of 455lbs for reps with proper form.

Ryan Bracewell
04-10-2009, 12:39 AM
What are widow makers?

SCRUBS
04-10-2009, 10:41 AM

Yep, every week, i usually wear sweat pants and long socks under them, it helps a little.

I do them second in my routine, doing bb rows first, warms every thing up before pulling hard.I just tap the floor, keeping constant tension.

SCRUBS
04-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Hate to be the pansy here but I did set a new personal best tonight. 315 for a single. Previous best was 225 for a single. Try not to laugh too hard.

No need to feel that way, looks like a good starting point to me. The strong guys/gals didn`t start out that way. Consitent hard work will keep you improving.

KEVDIESEL
04-10-2009, 10:56 AM
patience and hard work pays off big time with the dead.

tjoe
04-10-2009, 05:18 PM
SecH1cBcM2M

My best pull to date (655)
I have pulled 675 off the floor a fe wtimes but never more than 4-5 inches or so.
I Love em!
I consider them quite a staple in my routines.

"Rodz"
04-11-2009, 12:10 AM
I love deads. I used to be able to handle 375 for 6 at 180 lbs, but I injured my back and can't do them at all anymore. Awesome exercise if you are able to do it though! Love that head rush after doing a heavy set.

Fuckin love the head rush, lets me know i hung it all out to pull the weight

"Rodz"
04-11-2009, 12:15 AM

Congrats man, nobody starts at monster weights, just keep moving up!!!

"Rodz"
04-11-2009, 12:17 AM
SecH1cBcM2M

My best pull to date (655)
I have pulled 675 off the floor a fe wtimes but never more than 4-5 inches or so.
I Love em!
I consider them quite a staple in my routines.

Fuckin Yeah buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VanillaGorilla
04-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Love deads cant wait for back day every week.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-13-2009, 12:53 AM
My deads are up considerably over last year, 550 for 3 vs, 475 for 2, I think its helping me hold more muscle mass as I'm dieting. I've also done some very heavy partial rack deads, from about knee level.

sweetjane57
04-13-2009, 01:01 AM
What are widow makers?
In DC training it is a FINAL set of 20 with a lower weight than the rest-pause set.(BRUTAL!...in a good way)

Ryan Bracewell
04-13-2009, 01:16 AM
In DC training it is a FINAL set of 20 with a lower weight than the rest-pause set.(BRUTAL!...in a good way)

I think I have a good grasp on how to increase DL numbers and I don't think I would ever do that, atleast not with DL. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

beefcake
04-14-2009, 12:19 PM
crossfit high intensity deadlifts was what made it my strongest exercise when i went back to normal weight training...i do 140 kg for 2 sets atm but i wont go past that! (158 lbs)

Por2gue
04-17-2009, 02:50 AM
I think I have a good grasp on how to increase DL numbers and I don't think I would ever do that, atleast not with DL. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
They are not recommended on dl's only straight sets for this exercise while dc-ing.

Yolo
04-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Yes, I always deload the weight for that split second.

Same here. There's a reason it's called dead-lift (no, it's not because it kills you lol) - it's because the lift starts with a "dead" weight i.e. not moving. Just my 2 cents:wavey:

GirlyMuscle
04-20-2009, 09:04 AM
I finally got my deadlift form down last Friday. I know because not only was I able to lift some heavy weight with no discomfort to my low back issues but my shins are all bruised. Even though I've been training for almost 10 years, I never did them before. Now that I can do them properly, I've totally fallen in love with the Deadlift. I can't put into the words the exhilaration I felt after lifting 225 for the first time. This is an exercise I'd do just for the fun regardless of what it did for me musclewise. I can't say that about any other single movement.

Formula94
04-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Anyone go super wide on their grip when pulling? I did it a little last week and it felt really different in a good way. You feel it in the lats a lot more. Thinking of doing them like that again tonight with some heavier weights.

GirlyMuscle
04-20-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm game. I'll try on Friday when I do back. I'll let ya know.

Ninja Loco
04-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Anyone go super wide on their grip when pulling? I did it a little last week and it felt really different in a good way. You feel it in the lats a lot more. Thinking of doing them like that again tonight with some heavier weights.
Nope. And I just went out and tried a simulation and you're right, I can imagine feeling it in the lats more. Probably have to be extra careful though because with a wider than normal grip it means getting closer to the bar, which could mean unknowingly rounding the back. Im looking for ASS from deads, not lats, but Im looking forward to being able to try that with some real weight.

On a good note.......I got 385 for two with no straps the other night. And that was after a grueling back workout that wasnt involving Deads on that particular day. That may not mean shit to people but Ive never pulled heavy weight without straps. Some Highschooler PL friends of mine were doing them and me and my friend just got too temped.

GirlyMuscle
04-20-2009, 04:17 PM
I didn't even think to mention that I always use Versa Gripp straps when I dead. My grip and hands are really weak and I figure I'm doing deads to train muscles not grip so I use straps.

So hell yeah, that's a big deal to pull that weight without straps. Good job.

Formula94
04-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Nope. And I just went out and tried a simulation and you're right, I can imagine feeling it in the lats more. Probably have to be extra careful though because with a wider than normal grip it means getting closer to the bar, which could mean unknowingly rounding the back. Im looking for ASS from deads, not lats, but Im looking forward to being able to try that with some real weight.

On a good note.......I got 385 for two with no straps the other night. And that was after a grueling back workout that wasnt involving Deads on that particular day. That may not mean shit to people but Ive never pulled heavy weight without straps. Some Highschooler PL friends of mine were doing them and me and my friend just got too temped.
Nice! I tried pulling on saturday without my straps(forgot them at home) and could only do triples of 315. Grip wasn't really giving out, hands just got really sweaty and my POS gym (lifetime) doesn't allow chalk.
I think from now on I'm going to add a few sets of light deads w/out straps to one of my other workouts to help with my grip strength...now where to put them?

crashcrew56
04-20-2009, 04:40 PM
I do sumos once a week, I pause at the bottom and at the top, because thats what I have to do in competition. I don't do anymore than 3 reps per set.

Ninja Loco
04-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Nice! I tried pulling on saturday without my straps(forgot them at home) and could only do triples of 315. Grip wasn't really giving out, hands just got really sweaty and my POS gym (lifetime) doesn't allow chalk.
I think from now on I'm going to add a few sets of light deads w/out straps to one of my other workouts to help with my grip strength...now where to put them?
Hell I dont even do my bent over rows of 315 without straps..... Like GM said, Im tere to train back, not grip, so I use straps. Not that I dont train grip, but Im not there to train grip on that particular day. And lets face it, those small muscles are not going to keep up with what the back can do. So when heavy is the name, I strap my ass down and to hell with everything else. Damn! Now I wish it was back day!!

Since they are going to be light, cant you do them at the beggining of a regular back workout? Just as a warmer upper?

robert da strongman
04-20-2009, 04:44 PM
only my heaviest sets get strapped. but i can use them in competition so i train with them.

crashcrew56
04-20-2009, 04:54 PM
no straps for me, they arn't allowed in competition

robert da strongman
04-20-2009, 05:00 PM
no straps for me, they arn't allowed in competition

thats why i do strongman;)

Wheels
04-20-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm all about rack deads.

Ninja Loco
04-20-2009, 05:06 PM
I love me some rack deads too...... but there is something about lifting a super heavy dead weight off the floor that is downright euphoric. And Im not talking about fat drunk chicks that passed out, Im talking steel baby. Something that will really love you back the way you want it.

robert da strongman
04-20-2009, 05:08 PM
its the end...you have to thrust your hips out...like blowing the load.

had to tell that to a preacher when i trained him to do deads

GirlyMuscle
04-20-2009, 05:11 PM
I love me some rack deads too...... but there is something about lifting a super heavy dead weight off the floor that is downright euphoric. And Im not talking about fat drunk chicks that passed out, Im talking steel baby. Something that will really love you back the way you want it.

its the end...you have to thrust your hips out...like blowing the load.

had to tell that to a preacher when i trained him to do deadsYES! That's it! That whole feeling!

Wait...are we still talking about deads? ;)

robert da strongman
04-20-2009, 05:13 PM
yes deads
haha

Ninja Loco
04-20-2009, 05:19 PM
No Im confused......... I dont need to be confused with this much Test in my system........

pittbull
04-20-2009, 06:33 PM
I have just started doing dead a couple weeks ago...Can I get some advice from you guys? I have experimenting with different standing widths and hand placements on the bar.

Do you guys always stick to a shoulder width for your stance? I knew a guy that went really wide on his stance but when I do that I dont feel it in my back as much.

Also, your hand placement...inside or outside your knees? I usually go outside and thats what I think the norm is but I still feel really awkward when I do these. Maybe I just need to practice them some more. I have increased my weight on them and am starting to really feel it in my back...awesome pump.

Any advice on form would be great...thanks.

GirlyMuscle
04-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Hey..another question about grip. What purpose does the mixed grip serve?

bigtimektz
04-20-2009, 06:37 PM
I have just started doing dead a couple weeks ago...Can I get some advice from you guys? I have experimenting with different standing widths and hand placements on the bar.

Do you guys always stick to a shoulder width for your stance? I knew a guy that went really wide on his stance but when I do that I dont feel it in my back as much.

Also, your hand placement...inside or outside your knees? I usually go outside and thats what I think the norm is but I still feel really awkward when I do these. Maybe I just need to practice them some more. I have increased my weight on them and am starting to really feel it in my back...awesome pump.

Any advice on form would be great...thanks.

My stance is almost always a little wider than shoulder width, with both floor and rack deads. My grip is on the outside of my knees. I use a double overhand grip as well, with straps.

robert da strongman
04-20-2009, 06:38 PM
the wider the legs the more hip you involve. thats a sumo deadlift.

conventional is with shoulder width stance and hands outside the knees. i usually go a little wider with my hands.

robert da strongman
04-20-2009, 06:38 PM

makes it easier to lift heavier weights

GirlyMuscle
04-20-2009, 07:38 PM
makes it easier to lift heavier weightsWhy?

Wheels
04-20-2009, 07:49 PM

I hear you, nothing beats that feeling.

crashcrew56
04-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Why?

That's actually a really good question, I've always noticed I can hold onto heavier weight with a mixed grip, not sure why though

robert da strongman
04-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Why?

think about it...you can rest the bar easier in the supinated hand.
when i deadlift with a 2" bar i can cup it in my palms.

GirlyMuscle
04-20-2009, 08:04 PM
I still don't get it.

robert da strongman
04-20-2009, 08:06 PM
I still don't get it.

dont think just do...
double overhand with straps is easier
alternating without straps

crashcrew56
04-20-2009, 08:09 PM
thats why i do strongman;)

you strongman competitors get away with everything

robert da strongman
04-20-2009, 08:29 PM
you strongman competitors get away with everything

it is so much easier and fun

GirlyMuscle
04-20-2009, 08:47 PM
dont think just do...
double overhand with straps is easier
alternating without straps

I'll just stick with my usual. I like to know WHY things work the way they do. I'm not questioning it's validity.

Formula94
04-20-2009, 11:59 PM
I still don't get it.
I think it may also have to do with where the bar is on your fingers...when it is overhand, it is resting more on the tips of your fingers where as when you have an underhand grip it is resting more in the meaty and I think stronger part of the finger. I also think you are using a stronger muscle in the forearm when the hand is supinated.

ThePhysicalTherapist could probably answer this question better than me.

Ninja Loco
04-21-2009, 02:57 AM
Very, very simple, chica. It keeps the bar from rolling. The bar WILL tend to roll. The grip is weak anyways, in relation to the weight. As the weight is lifted, the bar will start falling out of the grip. And it doesnt just slip, it rolls, making it harder to hold on because there is no friction when the fingers are actually giving way in the direction of the release. With mixed grip, the bar can't roll in two directions at once. No roll, no added pressure on the fingers as they grip. Try it and see.

Por2gue
04-21-2009, 03:07 AM
That's actually a really good question, I've always noticed I can hold onto heavier weight with a mixed grip, not sure why though
That how I did them forever till I watched the video Dante posted at IM. I'll sacrifice a few pound to stay healthy longer.

crashcrew56
04-21-2009, 11:51 AM
That how I did them forever till I watched the video Dante posted at IM. I'll sacrifice a few pound to stay healthy longer.

Why what happened in the video?

Yolo
04-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Basically, a guy tore his biceps right off when deadlifting with a mixed grip

Yolo
04-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Tried to edit my post, didn't work
Here's the vid

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SW6dTdSnDtU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SW6dTdSnDtU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and this is the thread over at IM
http://www.intensemuscle.com/32029-you-guys-wonder-why-i-like-overgrip-grip-deadlifts.html

Ninja Loco
04-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Basically, a guy tore his biceps right off when deadlifting with a mixed grip
I know you're just the messenger bro, so dont take it personal.

Well....... quite honestly I dont see how that can happen unless he tried to actualy lift the weight with his arm. I dont claim to know everything but every PLer Ive ever met said all you do with the arms/hands is hold on. I dont see how that can happen since the bar is not rolling.

Number two.....it's the first time Ive heard about something like that. Yet leave it to people to make more out of one incident than to look at the thousands and thousands of other PLers who do lift with mixed grip and have never had that injury. But to each his own, am I right?

crashcrew56
04-21-2009, 02:38 PM
I do know a guy that I train with that tore his bicep doing deadlifts, I think it's actually more common than you think Ninja Loco. I think a lot of these guys that tear their biceps don't train their biceps at all

buster12
04-21-2009, 02:47 PM
I just took a little break from deads, but only for a few weeks. I love them though.

GirlyMuscle
04-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Very, very simple, chica. It keeps the bar from rolling. The bar WILL tend to roll. The grip is weak anyways, in relation to the weight. As the weight is lifted, the bar will start falling out of the grip. And it doesnt just slip, it rolls, making it harder to hold on because there is no friction when the fingers are actually giving way in the direction of the release. With mixed grip, the bar can't roll in two directions at once. No roll, no added pressure on the fingers as they grip. Try it and see.Thank you! THAT makes total sense to me.

Now...when I use my straps (which I MUST use) the bar doesn't roll at all so I can use my regular grip. No need for a mixed grip...correct?

crashcrew56
04-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Thank you! THAT makes total sense to me.

Now...when I use my straps (which I MUST use) the bar doesn't roll at all so I can use my regular grip. No need for a mixed grip...correct?

I would say that there's no need for a mixed grip if your going to use straps

Formula94
04-21-2009, 04:03 PM

Well....... quite honestly I dont see how that can happen unless he tried to actualy lift the weight with his arm. I dont claim to know everything but every PLer Ive ever met said all you do with the arms/hands is hold on. I dont see how that can happen since the bar is not rolling.

Number two.....it's the first time Ive heard about something like that. Yet leave it to people to make more out of one incident than to look at the thousands and thousands of other PLers who do lift with mixed grip and have never had that injury. But to each his own, am I right?
I actually know 2 PLers that have torn biceps when deadlifting with mixed grip. I mean, that is A LOT of weight pulling down on your arm while the bicep is in its most stretched position.

Ninja Loco
04-21-2009, 04:14 PM
I actually know 2 PLers that have torn biceps when deadlifting with mixed grip. I mean, that is A LOT of weight pulling down on your arm while the bicep is in its most stretched position.
Im sure you do. But that's two out of how many PLers all over? Not arguing, just saying. To each their own. However you get the weight up right for YOU is the right way to do it.

Ninja Loco
04-21-2009, 04:16 PM
I would say that there's no need for a mixed grip if your going to use straps
The bar will still roll into the grip due to gravity. Even with straps I use a mixed grip.

BUT.......

Once again, to each their own. However you get the weight up right for YOU is the right way to do it.

Yolo
04-21-2009, 05:35 PM

It's all good bro, no worries. I know I, for one, am kinda guilty of slightly bending my arms when I deadlift but I'm working on it :p

crashcrew56
04-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Anyone else like to do sumos? I used to do conventional deadlifts, but then I discovered that I'm built better for sumos than conventional.

Ninja Loco
04-21-2009, 06:47 PM
I like sumos but I am always told that conventional is better for bodybuilding.

Anyone?

crashcrew56
04-21-2009, 06:51 PM
I could see conventionals being better for bodybuilding, but I'm training for bigger numbers on my lifts not for bodybuilding.

Shadow
04-21-2009, 07:04 PM
The bar will still roll into the grip due to gravity. Even with straps I use a mixed grip.

BUT.......

Once again, to each their own. However you get the weight up right for YOU is the right way to do it.

Do you switch up which hand is pronated and which is supinated every set? I've read that that's the best way to make sure you're hitting all of the back the same when you use a mixed grip.

Yolo
04-22-2009, 04:03 AM
Do you switch up which hand is pronated and which is supinated every set? I've read that that's the best way to make sure you're hitting all of the back the same when you use a mixed grip.

It may be, but it kind of defeats the purpose of using a mixed grip IMO. What I mean is that people generally use a mixed grip to handle heavier weights. I don't know about you guys, but when I change my grip I find that I might aswell be using double overhand (this may be something only I suffer from though:confused:).

B7emm
04-22-2009, 12:43 PM
I like sumos but I am always told that conventional is better for bodybuilding.

Anyone?
I used sumo deads im 6foot 5 so less pull on low back. but i also hurt my back this way to. most important thing for tall guys ass down head up pull with the quads and stand. good g.p. will keep you from a bulging disk and the sergery is not fun trust me.

B7emm
04-22-2009, 12:49 PM
I went form close to 500lbs. deads to seting on a swiss ball pullin' on a gient ruber band beacuse of bad form. im in pt. now.

Ninja Loco
04-22-2009, 03:01 PM
It may be, but it kind of defeats the purpose of using a mixed grip IMO. What I mean is that people generally use a mixed grip to handle heavier weights. I don't know about you guys, but when I change my grip I find that I might aswell be using double overhand (this may be something only I suffer from though:confused:).
Actually it wouldnt. The mixed grip is used to keep the bar from rolling into the weakest point of the grip. Doesnt really matter which hand is supinated or not so long as one of them is.

Or did I read it right, bro?

Ninja Loco
04-22-2009, 03:03 PM
That's a good idea, actually.

I know I have tried it before, but not for that reason. I hadnt thought about that. It wasnt comfortable so I stopped doing it, but I may have to change my opinion if it means hitting the back better.

Ninja Loco
04-22-2009, 03:04 PM
I could see conventionals being better for bodybuilding, but I'm training for bigger numbers on my lifts not for bodybuilding.
That's right you're into PLing, right? Do they allow Sumo in comps? I never even thought to ask.

crashcrew56
04-22-2009, 04:29 PM
yeah sumo is allowed in comp, at least it's allowed in the federation I'll be competing in

Ninja Loco
04-22-2009, 04:39 PM
yeah sumo is allowed in comp, at least it's allowed in the federation I'll be competing in
THAT is fuking awesome.

SUMO
04-22-2009, 04:42 PM
No sumo in strongman though. :(

Ninja Loco
04-22-2009, 04:46 PM
You would think they'd allow that in Strongman since they already allow straps. Kinda backwards, dontchathink?

crashcrew56
04-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah i figured they would allow it in strongman, hell they get away with wearing straps and hitching

Yolo
04-23-2009, 02:51 AM
Actually it wouldnt. The mixed grip is used to keep the bar from rolling into the weakest point of the grip. Doesnt really matter which hand is supinated or not so long as one of them is.

Or did I read it right, bro?

Well, in my case it does matter which hand is supinated, but I guess for most people that's not the case. Guess I'll have to work on that...

Ninja Loco
04-23-2009, 03:16 AM
Well, in my case it does matter which hand is supinated, but I guess for most people that's not the case. Guess I'll have to work on that...
I agree, alternating which hand is supinated does seem like it would cover the back better. IM the one thats going to have to work on that.

Shadow
04-23-2009, 10:22 AM
In about forty minutes I'm headed off to trash back. Deadlifts are dead last. Let's see if I can up my poundage from the 225 I ended on last week.

GirlyMuscle
04-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Dammit. GX told me MuscleGoddess65 did 225 x 6 after a leg workout. Now I feel like a wuss.

musclegoddess65
04-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Dammit. GX told me MuscleGoddess65 did 225 x 6 after a leg workout. Now I feel like a wuss.

:D Yes yes she did... that was after hack squats (with holds), single leg presses, Leg extensions, and GX's suicide set of 4 sets of 50 reps on leg press, 10 seconds rest between sets (ya ALMOST cried like a girl on that one) - but wanted to have my DL form corrected if need be... GX has pic on his phone somewhere, probably ain't a pretty face...

funny thing about training with Rob, and, well the thing I love the most about training with Rob... he doesn't take a plate off and ASK what you want on there... he just takes off the 2 25's and add's the other 2 45's and says ok, don't even walk up to that bar till your ready in your head to pull it...

If it helps any... it was a mixed grip :beerbang:

GirlyMuscle
04-28-2009, 04:54 PM
:D Yes yes she did... that was after hack squats (with holds), single leg presses, Leg extensions, and GX's suicide set of 4 sets of 50 reps on leg press, 10 seconds rest between sets (ya ALMOST cried like a girl on that one) - but wanted to have my DL form corrected if need be... GX has pic on his phone somewhere, probably ain't a pretty face...

funny thing about training with Rob, and, well the thing I love the most about training with Rob... he doesn't take a plate off and ASK what you want on there... he just takes off the 2 25's and add's the other 2 45's and says ok, don't even walk up to that bar till your ready in your head to pull it...

If it helps any... it was a mixed grip :beerbang:Bitch. And I don't mean Babe In Total Control of Herself.

Just kidding! I hope my back holds up. I need to beat that.

Blue and Gold
04-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Fuck me, I wish I hadn't watched that video of the bicep tear, the guy took it like a champ though.

musclegoddess65
04-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Bitch. And I don't mean Babe In Total Control of Herself.

Just kidding! I hope my back holds up. I need to beat that.

you know ya love me!!!!

and I think GX had his numbers wrong... I think it was less than 225, I think it was 215 unless we had weight on there I wasn't counting... and the reps were singles... not like I repped it 6 times straight in a row......

definitely time for a lifting belt though....

Taurus_X
04-29-2009, 09:42 PM
It's all good bro, no worries. I know I, for one, am kinda guilty of slightly bending my arms when I deadlift but I'm working on it :p

Just to chime in on this issue, I heard a piece of advice once concerning this very issue. I was being schooled about the importance of keeping my arm straight and making sure that I don't try to move the weight at all with my bicep. I was told that as I was setting up, to make sure my arm is straight by flexing my tricep nice and hard. You need your arm straight to really flex the tricep well, so your arm should be straight and you should be ready to go.

crashcrew56
04-30-2009, 12:02 AM
Just to chime in on this issue, I heard a piece of advice once concerning this very issue. I was being schooled about the importance of keeping my arm straight and making sure that I don't try to move the weight at all with my bicep. I was told that as I was setting up, to make sure my arm is straight by flexing my tricep nice and hard. You need your arm straight to really flex the tricep well, so your arm should be straight and you should be ready to go.

That really makes a lot of sense, thanks for the advice

Ninja Loco
04-30-2009, 01:02 AM
Word. Excellent advice.

Yolo
05-01-2009, 03:13 AM

Thanks for the tip bro! That makes A LOT of sense:bowdown: