PDA

View Full Version : fitness after 50

Jason Newman
03-14-2010, 12:49 AM
so my dad used to Row in college, but recently has joined a gym due to weak core, back issues and both shoulders having surgery, im tying to help him plan a routine but i have no clue where to start with a 55yr old man, any help would be appreciated....

Baldiewonkanobi
03-14-2010, 06:03 AM
OK Jason a few things first. Get pops to log on in here. Second thing is to guide him to clean up his diet which as a suppliment dude you know is 80% of what we do in here. Thirdly have him read my thread from start to finish. I am a cancer survivor, have arthritis, an auto inmmunue disease, gout, asthma and I have busted myself up with broken bones and surgeries. Start him slowly with machines only...3 days a week....you know the routine.

And you Jason...glad to see you loving the old fart. You can visit in here too as we kick around some fucking iron. We are Bodybuilders....this is not Jurassic Park.

Baldie

SpeedoGuido
03-15-2010, 03:11 AM
Have him warm up really good on all exercises. I use rubber exercise bands to warm up on shoulder and chest days and do a 10 minute warmup before I even touch the weights. On all other body parts I warmup with little or no weight.

Have him do slow concentrated movements with strict form.... no need for heavy exercises if he just wants to get in shape.

I'm 53 and have been working out for 39 years and so far have avoided shoulder and knee surgery..... I attribute it to solid warmups, good form and lots of luck!