PDA

View Full Version : How can I incorporate Cardio into an offseason Bulking Plan

Rush
02-10-2009, 05:26 PM
I am not blessed with a fast metabolism, and tend to put on quite abit of fat while bulking up.

What type of cardio should i to to keep the fat at bay. How often?

tjoe
02-10-2009, 08:04 PM
tighter diet, I would say.
cardio should maybe be 20-30 minutes a day 3-4 times per week. that should be enough to help. any more and you will probably start cutting into your gains.

Por2gue
02-10-2009, 11:50 PM
tjoe nailed it. low intensity as well IMO

TaylorB
02-11-2009, 12:32 AM
do it either first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, or immidietly following weigh training.

these two time youll burn fat as the largets % of calories possible. and also increase gh more than anyother time too.

cardio done in this fashion is, IMO, ideal for offseason....to keep fat gain away.

Taylor Normandeau
02-11-2009, 12:55 AM
do it either first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, or immidietly following weigh training.

these two time youll burn fat as the largets % of calories possible. and also increase gh more than anyother time too.

cardio done in this fashion is, IMO, ideal for offseason....to keep fat gain away.

I don't necassary agree with the pre-breakfast cardio when trying to put on mass.....That's just my opinion though, to me if you're super concerned with putting on size you should be eating instantly upon waking.

Stick to 20-30 mins low intensity post-workout, if you find you aren't putting on enough size, cut that down, or vice versa if you get fat kick it up. Keep your heart rate around 120/125

Mike Marcano
02-11-2009, 01:37 AM
I will be honest and say keep diet tight and cardio for 20 minutes or so post workout. I believe in getting your heart rate up a little higher like 130-140 beats per minute as you won't be doing a long drawn out session of cardio, neither will you be losing muscle as you should be in a calorie surplus and those that put on fat easily usually don't lose muscle very easily!

Chomyboy
02-11-2009, 06:40 PM
I also have a slow metabolism and what has work for me is long time at a slow rate, all I do is warm up run really fast, my heart rate goes really fast, after that I walk it off, return my heart to normal rate, thatīs all it takes for me, just give it a jump start.

MichaelWayne
02-11-2009, 07:01 PM
DING, lightly and not going insane (all the time w/ food) on your bulk

THUNDERGOD
02-11-2009, 07:11 PM
tighter diet, I would say.
cardio should maybe be 20-30 minutes a day 3-4 times per week. that should be enough to help. any more and you will probably start cutting into your gains.

Agreed...DIET DIET DIET. Even in the offseason there is a diet. Low Intensity cardio like TJoe said, 20 -30 minutes. Start with 3 days a week and if you need to, add in the 4th day. And always in a depleted state.

Bryan Hildebrand
02-11-2009, 09:37 PM
what do you think about nutritional intake, while bulking, if you do cardio right after training? should you train, ingest carbs/protein/insulin and then cardio, or wait to ingest when done with cardio?

Koubs
02-13-2009, 05:04 PM
I also put on fat if I'm not careful in the off-season... However, I feel better doing just a couple interval/higher intensity cardio sessions... I picked up the idea from Layne Norton who had posted it on some other board, where he recommended interval cardio sessions for off-season, NOT low intensity...

So I currently have been doing 3 20-minute sessions per week... It basically consists of a 4 min-warm-up, then 30 second sprint, then 1:30 light, then 30 second sprint, etc... For a total of 8 sprints...

These are SEPARATE from my normal workouts, and NOT on an empty stomach... My focus isn't so much 'burning fat for energy', but it's more about stimulating my metabolism...

I know people would argue "why not not just have less calories and do less cardio/lower intensity cardio?" Well, I've tried that in previous off-seasons, and this works better for me

Bubba Bronko
02-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Depends on your goals...

Viking
02-18-2009, 12:58 AM
Didn't Big Ron comment on how he dieted for a whole year and wore his weight belt to slim his midsection and what not during an interview on youtube.

militantmuscle
02-18-2009, 03:21 AM
Start slow, even ten minutes pre/post workout at first, that is realistic and definitely feasible. Raise it accordingly.

BigVanDiesel54
02-19-2009, 12:22 PM
if your offseason i wouldnt do much cardio...if any, BUT for general health reasons maybe do low intensity on a treadmill or elliptical for 20 minutes 2-3 times a week at the most.

desibaba
02-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Didn't Big Ron comment on how he dieted for a whole year and wore his weight belt to slim his midsection and what not during an interview on youtube.
ANYTHING that Ronnie does not mean jack to the average bodybuilder (even a pro). That man is not even from the human species :eek:

pnohe
02-21-2009, 09:31 AM
I would caution against using interval style cardio (even in short durations) that includes sprinting when bulking. Try doing a style of cardio that uses large muscles to "drive" your action. think bike, stair mill (gauntlet), summit trainer, etc. go with about 20 minutes 3 times per week at a high level of resistance. Here is a great bike workout that should work on most commercial grade upright bikes.

time resistance level
0-3:00 10
3:00-6:00 15
6:00-7:00 10
7:00-9:00 20
9:00-10:00 10
10:00-15:00 15
15:00-18:00 10
18:00-20:00 5

Try this and let me know what you think.

anthony1992
03-01-2009, 08:22 PM
20 minutes 3 times a week, low intensity

Koubs
03-03-2009, 10:23 PM
I would caution against using interval style cardio (even in short durations) that includes sprinting when bulking. Try doing a style of cardio that uses large muscles to "drive" your action. think bike, stair mill (gauntlet), summit trainer, etc. go with about 20 minutes 3 times per week at a high level of resistance. Here is a great bike workout that should work on most commercial grade upright bikes.

time resistance level
0-3:00 10
3:00-6:00 15
6:00-7:00 10
7:00-9:00 20
9:00-10:00 10
10:00-15:00 15
15:00-18:00 10
18:00-20:00 5

Try this and let me know what you think.

Hey man, curious as to WHY you would advise against the interval style?? I've been using it with some pretty good success this off-season... Been able to stay tight, getting stronger, and definitely looking my all time best at this weight...

I sprint on the bike for 20 seconds every 2 minutes, so it's nothing too crazy... I do this 3X per week for 20 minutes... On days I do this style cardio, I do it in the morning but have an additional Pre-cardio shake that I normally wouldn't have... Then I just have my normal breakfast after cardio...

Been working well for me

Frosty
03-03-2009, 10:40 PM
You put on quite a lot of fat while bulking up? My guess is either you're eating way too godamn much or you should eat less carbs and more protein/fat.

Koubs
03-03-2009, 11:18 PM
I do put on fat if I'm not careful... However this off-season I've stayed pretty lean with this strategy.. at my college I got my bodyfat tested via hydrostatic weighing and was 8.5% BF at 235 pounds about a month and a half ago... Right now I'm about 242...

I don't want to take over this thread posting my whole diet... But it's about 240g carbs, 400g protein, 120g fat... In the past I've brought my carbs low but couldn't put on weight/muscle without getting fat... Doing the interval cardio has allowed me to keep my carbs up and stay pretty tight...

I'm going to keep it up, we'll see how it goes through the rest of my off-season.. Thanks for the input though

pnohe
03-05-2009, 10:47 AM
hey sorry it took a bit to get back to you, I was trying to locate the study that I had that got me to stop doing/recomending interval training in the off season. Sadly I could not. basicly it looked at upright bike training, these were trained individuals and diets were kept the same (high protein/calorie). the two workouts were similar in that they both used high resistance levels in the style that I have posted here. the second workout also included 1 minute sprints. in the end there was a size GAIN with the first workout and minor size LOSS in the second. minor enough it was enough to bring me around. I can tell you that since using this style workout I have seen great results and big gains in the thigh while remaining lean(er).

I guess, like with anything else it is an individual thing but I keep it basic. If i (and my clients) can burn enough calories to avoid excessive fat gain and reap the cardiovascular benefits while ADDING size?!?!?! yup, thats gonna do it for me!

again, sorry it took so long to post the response and I will keep lookin for that study (it was out of canada, I remember that)