PDA

View Full Version : Phobias and Fears

Sistersteel
03-10-2009, 02:11 PM
It has actually always intrigued me to understand how certain phobias develop in certain people. My husband is afraid of getting in the water because he almost drowned as a child. I have a friend who is afraid of dogs, even miniature toy breeds, because she was bitten by one as a kid.

I, for one, am severely claustrophobic. I feel my chest almost immediately constrict and it gets very hard to breathe. That is followed by a panick attack. But, unlike everything else in my life that I have an understanding of, this is the one thing I have no clue how I developed.

The weird thing is, when I was getting fucked up, I use to LOVE small tight and dark places. My favortie place to get high was the closet. I've spent more time in the closet (no pun intended) than anywhere else growing up. lol

Strange bird here.

SS

gman
03-10-2009, 04:53 PM
I am not afraid of anything except speaking in public. I love meeting new people and talking with them and am not shy in the least in that regard. But I am scared shitless to make a speech of any kind.

Ninja Loco
03-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Deep dark water (ocean, muddy lakes) and ghosts; the supernatural.

Sistersteel
03-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Deep dark water (ocean, muddy lakes) and ghosts; the supernatural.

I find the supernatural fascinating :)

Larry C
03-10-2009, 07:49 PM
I am not afraid of anything except speaking in public. I love meeting new people and talking with them and am not shy in the least in that regard. But I am scared shitless to make a speech of any kind.

I'd definitely have a bit of that one, was very introverted and shy up until I was about 18. Don't really like spiders either. I remember when I was young child I had no fears of any insects, arachnids etc... but I saw the film 'Arachnophobia' when I was about 7 and wouldn't you know it I became arachnophobic. It seemed to me after watching that film that spiders were very calculating, I've since just about gotten over this.

gman
03-10-2009, 07:54 PM
I find the supernatural fascinating :)

Me too, I have always wanted to see a ghost, bigfoot, a UFO or anything like that. I have loved this stuff since I was a kid.

Larry C
03-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Me too, I have always wanted to see a ghost, bigfoot, a UFO or anything like that. I have loved this stuff since I was a kid.

David Attenborough recently said on an english talk show that he believes there could be a yeti. I wouldn't really listen to anyone else who said it but this guy has been doing it for so long it gives some hope to the idea.

gman
03-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Part of me wants them not to find one, it would destroy the species if we were to ever find them.

SonOfPluto
03-12-2009, 03:37 AM

I've had many such experiences, they come in eposodic stints. Last summer, I woke up and seen the silouette of a woman lying next to me on her side. She looked like a hologram, bright white and I could see right through her. Later, that same night I witnessed a little girl materialize right in front of me, to the side of my bed. In both cases, I asked them who they were and what they wanted, but no response. You might want to be careful what you wish for, this type of thing has the potential to turn your life upside down real quick!
However, when stuff like this is happening to me, I usually indulge full force, doing things like watching the ring or ghost ship every night for weeks on end..

Larry C
03-12-2009, 01:41 PM
I've had many such experiences, they come in eposodic stints. Last summer, I woke up and seen the silouette of a woman lying next to me on her side. She looked like a hologram, bright white and I could see right through her. Later, that same night I witnessed a little girl materialize right in front of me, to the side of my bed. In both cases, I asked them who they were and what they wanted, but no response. You might want to be careful what you wish for, this type of thing has the potential to turn your life upside down real quick!
However, when stuff like this is happening to me, I usually indulge full force, doing things like watching the ring or ghost ship every night for weeks on end..

I imagine that would be the most surreal feeling. My father said he saw his mother sat in a chair in front of him 10 days after she had died.

Sistersteel
03-12-2009, 03:29 PM

I seen many ghosts...everyone thought I was messed up.

No, I was not high either.

powermania
03-12-2009, 03:43 PM
i have a commitment phobia. I am so fucking scared of commitment.

Suzy Brown
03-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Spiders & bugs make me squirm but drowning is the one phobia that's totally irrational and slightly paralyzing.

Bennny
03-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Big spiders and small, enclosed spaces.

JohnnyMuscles
03-14-2009, 07:52 PM
For whatever reason I HATE bees!!! Lol When I was a kid sometimes they would come into my room and I would wake up with one in my ear or nose or buzzing by my head. Sometimes I thought I was dreaming when it was really happening lol. I've been in pulic outside restaurants in the summer when there were bees and I would want to run the other way, people would be like what's that guy on???? Ha those people on Fear Factor that stay still with a swarm of bees on them I have a ton of respect for!!!!

JohnnyMuscles
03-14-2009, 07:53 PM
i have a commitment phobia. I am so fucking scared of commitment.

Don't feel bad you're not the only one millions of people share that phobia.

Sistersteel
03-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Powermania
A commitment phobia is not a legitimate medical condition, my dear. Maybe you should start a "Relationship and Commitment Issues" thread that would be far more appropriate for addressing the problems you think you are having.

SS

antonbrn
03-15-2009, 01:46 AM
snakes (They would sneak into our house, when I was little.)
heights

BigJD69
03-15-2009, 03:51 AM
Speaking in public and roller coasters/heights

Larry C
03-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Speaking in public and roller coasters/heights

I don't mind heights, wanted to be a stuntman when I was younger so used to jump off pretty big heights but I will never trust roller coasters.

BrianNassar
03-18-2009, 12:29 PM
I'll spill the beans so to speak on my former career - I was a licenced clinical psychologist and substance abuse counselor for 10 years with 2 Master degrees specializing in anxiety disorders and abnormal mental health, including phobias. Some phobias are learned while others are purely chemical in nature.
Exposure therapy really helped many of my clients, but they had to continue working on them just like weight training.
I "retired" from that profession due to emotional burnout. :(

Simon M
03-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Bridges over water do me in but I've made myself do it and I can now walk over Waterloo Bridge without sweating like a rapist.

ThePoser
03-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Snakes!!

pittbull
03-24-2009, 09:32 AM
cloudy, muddy or deep water. I almost drowned in a river when I was a kid.

Also, intense fear of snakes. I was a child and me and my buddy turned over and old porch swing that had been on the ground for years. A huge copperhead was underneath and it literally chased me to the door to my house. I am terrified of snakes...cant even look at a pic of one or on t.v.

Sistersteel
03-26-2009, 02:23 AM
I'll spill the beans so to speak on my former career - I was a licenced clinical psychologist and substance abuse counselor for 10 years with 2 Master degrees specializing in anxiety disorders and abnormal mental health, including phobias. Some phobias are learned while others are purely chemical in nature.
Exposure therapy really helped many of my clients, but they had to continue working on them just like weight training.
I "retired" from that profession due to emotional burnout. :(

Well If it does not cause you any discomfort, I would love to hear your expert opinion on chemically induced phobias!

SS

Goodfellas
09-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Snakes. I saw one fishing the other day and ran like Usain Bolt away from it.

Demorak
10-24-2009, 08:09 AM

I can wake up in the middle of the night and be scared shitless and feel a precence in the room, hearing sounds I cant describe, like loud explosions almost although you cant pinpoint where they are its like they are in my head....very strange.

Never seen anything though thank god, ghosts demons and fantasy shit like that scare the shit out of me....dont know what to belive and frankly dont wanna know.

Crusader
10-31-2009, 10:24 AM
I can wake up in the middle of the night and be scared shitless and feel a precence in the room, hearing sounds I cant describe, like loud explosions almost although you cant pinpoint where they are its like they are in my head....very strange.

Never seen anything though thank god, ghosts demons and fantasy shit like that scare the shit out of me....dont know what to belive and frankly dont wanna know.

Demons are nothing. They are the fallen angels, a bunch of losers.They try to decieve people that they have power and influence. God kicked them out of heaven.

Foreskin
10-31-2009, 11:33 AM
SNAKES......and sock puppets

Ryan Wacht
11-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Demons are nothing. They are the fallen angels, a bunch of losers.They try to decieve people that they have power and influence. God kicked them out of heaven.

I agree with this. Demons prey on people's fears. If one is unfortunate enough to attract one, the best thing they can do is show it that they're not afraid. The demon will eventually get bored and move on to bully somebody weaker.

Klaus Urine
12-03-2009, 10:47 PM
I agree with this. Demons prey on people's fears. If one is unfortunate enough to attract one, the best thing they can do is show it that they're not afraid. The demon will eventually get bored and move on to bully somebody weaker.What?

Mouse
12-04-2009, 01:21 PM

I agree with this. Demons prey on people's fears. If one is unfortunate enough to attract one, the best thing they can do is show it that they're not afraid. The demon will eventually get bored and move on to bully somebody weaker.

I hear that if you can trick your demons to get on a treadmill or something similar they'll go away. Apparently they're not fond of exercise.