PDA

View Full Version : 39 about to hit 40..starting to feel the difference!

SonOfPluto
03-10-2009, 03:45 PM
I had stopped training for several months, and am 39 years old. Just the other day, I trained again for the first time. I felt aches and pains in my arm tendons that i've never felt before, and I can't remember ever injuring them either. At least my physique hasn't really measureable deteriorated...

gman
03-10-2009, 04:09 PM
welcome to old age, my friend!

That's why I never take time off, I am afraid of what will happen when I start back!

Mike Gelsei
03-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Don't let age be an excuse! I'm still training just as hard as ever and can train guys 15 years younger than me into the ground.

Training smart applies to bodybuilders of any age.

SonOfPluto
03-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Don't let age be an excuse! I'm still training just as hard as ever and can train guys 15 years younger than me into the ground.

Training smart applies to bodybuilders of any age.

I'm definitely not letting it be an excuse! The problem is that its difficult for me to train without going 'all out'. With aches and pains, sometimes this isn't he best thing. I'll be in the best shape of my life by the time I hit 40 and will probably compete in a master's competition somewhere.

Mike Gelsei
03-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Don't train with aches and pains. You can still go all out - just train around them. If certain exercises hurt find ones that don't. Remember there are no good or bad exercises just good and bad ways of performing them.

esplendido
03-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Don't train with aches and pains. You can still go all out - just train around them. If certain exercises hurt find ones that don't. Remember there are no good or bad exercises just good and bad ways of performing them.

Very true!

esplendido
03-13-2009, 04:17 PM
In fact, look at me and Bill Grant in my avi (Picture taken this last weekend at the Arnold). Bill is 62 and I'm 51. We both have had pain issues and have found ways to train without further aggrevating those injuries and grow in the process.

Mike Gelsei
03-13-2009, 04:37 PM
That's great at 41 I'm still a young pup! Can't wait to see the improvements I'll have made by 51!

BigJD69
03-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Gonna be 40 in a week I def. stay sore longer

triceptor
03-13-2009, 09:29 PM
H r t

italianmanMASS
03-13-2009, 10:55 PM
something to look forward to...lol

bigdaddyd
03-13-2009, 11:32 PM
I feel the difference a little more each year. Somethings hurt more this year than last year. You just deal with it and move on.

SonOfPluto
03-14-2009, 12:52 AM
H r t

I was on that for awhile, until I lost my health insurance. I was prescribed the gel that you rub on your skin. It seemed to help, but I always wanted to take more then one packet!

SonOfPluto
03-14-2009, 12:53 AM
In fact, look at me and Bill Grant in my avi (Picture taken this last weekend at the Arnold). Bill is 62 and I'm 51. We both have had pain issues and have found ways to train without further aggrevating those injuries and grow in the process.

Yeah, you guys look really good, regardless of age!

Por2gue
03-14-2009, 02:45 AM
Joint support is a must IMO.

sassy69
03-14-2009, 06:11 AM
Give it up while before you hurt anything. It's all downhill from here. The only thing holding you together will be duct tape. Time to break out the walker and orthopedic shoes and get comfy on the couch w/ the remote.

j/k ;)

Just like anything else - it takes time to get conditioned to something you haven't done in a while. Muscle memory is one of the greatest gifts to the 40+ crowd. Listen to your body, be patient, recovery is important, but I actually find consistency in stretching and just staying active is critical to keeping the joints functional & in alignment. I've been lifting since 1981 and the only actual issue I've got as a result of it all is tendonitis. It definitely limits things, but it also forces me to pay attention to tight form, sufficient warmup and lots of alignment activities - like I did 205 for reps the other day after several sets at lower weigths but I did 10-20 reps of bodyweight ass to the floor squats between my heavy sets just to make sure my knees are able to hold themselves. I"ve had problems w/ the patellas not running over the joint correctly, which often leaves my knees all tweaky and I'd probably just drop if I tried any amount of weight on the bar. The anticipation of pain probably screws me more than anything, so I just make sure of the ROM before I hit it w/ the weights.

Reloaded
03-14-2009, 11:11 AM
::cough GH 6-8 iu ed cough ::

SonOfPluto
03-14-2009, 01:34 PM
::cough GH 6-8 iu ed cough ::

I'll be hitting the GH as I get older, as well as self-HRT, its a matter of affordability.

SonOfPluto
03-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Do any of you middle aged guys still get girls from their 20's hitting on you? That's pretty inspiring when it still happens as you get older..

gman
03-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Hell I don't even get women my age hitting on me, much less their daughters! lol

bigdaddyd
03-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Yea, I had a 30 something lady hitting on me today at the store. At least I thought so....she worked there and was trying to get me to buy something. Man....

gman
03-14-2009, 07:19 PM
you guys are just cuter than I am, dammit!

tight booty
03-15-2009, 05:19 AM
Pluto man, you just need to start training regularly again and the pain and muscle soreness will go away. If you don't train often enough, the DOMS will stick around longer.

Simon M
03-15-2009, 05:32 AM
TB's right just get back into the swing of things and try adding in some cissus just before bed and take some Greens Drinks in the morning. I also find that taking leucine after my post workout shake helps with doms.

heavyiron
03-18-2009, 02:32 PM
I'll be hitting the GH as I get older, as well as self-HRT, its a matter of affordability.
It makes a huge difference!

gman
03-18-2009, 06:01 PM
I pray that you are right. Things that make other people feel better seem to have no effect on me.

My first shot of test, I might as well have shot just oil!

I know it probably takes a few shots to ramp up, but I was hoping it would be noticeable 2-3 days after the shot.

esplendido
03-18-2009, 06:20 PM
I pray that you are right. Things that make other people feel better seem to have no effect on me.

My first shot of test, I might as well have shot just oil!

I know it probably takes a few shots to ramp up, but I was hoping it would be noticeable 2-3 days after the shot.
Mike, I thought we went over this. You have 2-3 weeks before noticable changes take place.....

gman
03-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Yep, you are right! I spoke without engaging the brain!

I had another guy on TRT tell me he could tell pretty quick, but I think his levels were way low as in 100's.

The Celt
03-18-2009, 09:46 PM
I had stopped training for several months, and am 39 years old. Just the other day, I trained again for the first time. I felt aches and pains in my arm tendons that i've never felt before, and I can't remember ever injuring them either. At least my physique hasn't really measureable deteriorated...

Fish Oil is your friend....:D

thepump
03-19-2009, 05:05 PM
welcome to old age, my friend!

That's why I never take time off, I am afraid of what will happen when I start back!
feel that

triceptor
03-24-2009, 08:30 PM
I was on that for awhile, until I lost my health insurance. I was prescribed the gel that you rub on your skin. It seemed to help, but I always wanted to take more then one packet!

You can get transdermal testosterone from some compounding pharmacies for about $60 a month without health insurance. I inject and it runs me about $9 a week for ~250 mgs a week of test enanthate without insurance. It will help in many ways including protecting your heart and brain.

Carl