PDA

View Full Version : Thin Is Not In at Paris Fashion Week: A Good Thing for Fitness Models & Modelling?

Musclepapa John
03-17-2010, 08:40 AM
I found this article intreguing last week on the eve of Miami Fashion Week wherein I've been encouraging more fitness oriented athletes to consider mainstream modeling and to attend Fashion Week events if in the area. Might the attitudes in Paris reflect in other modeling requirements stateside and also impact the mainstream perceptions of what is acceptable and indeed fashionable?

Thin Is Not In at Paris Fashion Week

posted by Lindsay Robertson - Fri Mar 12 2010, LINK BACK (http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/a-line/thin-is-not-in-at-paris-fashion-week/402?nc)
http://l.yimg.com/k/omg/us/img/7079_ecfcbdbc4e425cbac577a7278cb317ad.jpg

After many years of international criticism over the apparent unhealthiness of the skinny models chosen to walk the runways at the fashion world's most elite shows in New York, Milan, and Paris,
designers seem to finally be coming around to the idea of diversity in who models their clothes. While the ethnic diversity barrier has been eroding for some time now, it seems a diversity of body types has had an even tougher time making it into the modeling world.

This week, several models known for their Victoria's Secret modeling -- most of whom have curvier figures than traditional catwalk models -- were welcome on the Paris Fashion Week runway for the first time. The ever-so-slightly fuller-figured women were shown modeling the latest clothes for fall.

Adriana Lima walked the runway for the first time since giving birth to her daughter in November. The model shared the catwalk with fellow Victoria's Secret regular Alessandra Ambrosio. While the fact that two curvy beauties would appear in a fashion show is remarkable in and of itself, Lima and Ambrosio are also 28 years old -- an age that spells retirement for most high-fashion models.
http://l.yimg.com/k/omg/us/img/9455_8da5ecc610c613fa62cbc64dc37940a5.jpg
And if the presence of two late-20s models didn't make enough of a statement about the changing
standards of Europe's fashion weeks, Elle Macpherson also walked the runways this week
-- at the ripe age of 46. Adriana Lima also strutted her stuff for Louis Vuitton during Paris Fashion Week just four months after having given birth.
Speaking to reporters backstage at his Louis Vuitton show in Paris on Wednesday, designer Marc
Jacobs made it clear that the new look of fashion week wasn't a fluke: "Designers are always talking about how they design for women, and then you look at our runways and there [are] no girls over 20. This time, I set out to cast a variety of sexy women -- younger, older, thin, voluptuous, from every ethnic background."

The appearance of curvy models comes after some fashion shows instituted rules requiring
models to eat before they step onto the runway. The nutritional requirements began to take effect after a super-thin model died in 2006, shortly after stepping off a South American fashion-show
stage.

Last month, fashion watchers also got a look at the fleshier trend when another model known for her curvy body, Miranda Kerr, 26, modeled for Prada at Milan's fashion week.

The newly curvy look comes just six months after designer Karl Lagerfeld, in response to criticism over skinny models at European fashion weeks, told reporters: "Nobody
wants to see round women."
http://l.yimg.com/k/omg/us/img/7939_86089f67493e6195d39ac923472d6ef2.jpg

RDFinders
03-17-2010, 10:25 AM
that's interesting seeing that plus size models are a size 8. it is much overdue in the fashion world. i tried it and made myself anemic to try and reach a standard size 0 or 2 at 5'10" and 17 years old. i was so happy to start working out and gain curves, i didn't know what to do with myself.

Musclepapa John
03-17-2010, 12:18 PM
that's interesting seeing that plus size models are a size 8. it is much overdue in the fashion world. i tried it and made myself anemic to try and reach a standard size 0 or 2 at 5'10" and 17 years old. i was so happy to start working out and gain curves, i didn't know what to do with myself.

I salute your personal commitment to a healthy body image.

Designer Marc Jacobs at the Louis Vuitton show in Paris said it all with "Designers are always talking about how they design for women, and then you look at our runways and there [are] no girls over 20. This time, I set out to cast a variety of sexy women -- younger, older, thin, voluptuous, from every ethnic background."
This interest in a diversity of body types bodes will for athlete models. I'm looking forward to the reviews from Miami this week where designers from around the globe have emerged and will have models strutting with their wares on stage.

RDFinders
03-17-2010, 12:36 PM
it is hide time for diversity in body types, etc in the fashion industry. i would love to see more muscular women in the shows as then the designers would then design clothing for more athletic females.

Musclepapa John
03-17-2010, 12:57 PM
it is hide time for diversity in body types, etc in the fashion industry. i would love to see more muscular women in the shows as then the designers would then design clothing for more athletic females.

In that same vein I sense that especially models in the figure and bikini divisions can serve as something of the gateway, the transitionary figures with the potential of musclizing the fashion industry. There are so many beautiful women in all the divisions that could do well on the catwalk, but they have to be in the game with comp cards and work the agencies to be seen and help bring this change.

RDFinders
03-17-2010, 01:00 PM
In that same vein I sense that especially models in the figure and bikini divisions can serve as something of the gateway, the transitionary figures with the potential of musclizing the fashion industry. There are so many beautiful women in all the divisions that could do well on the catwalk, but they have to be in the game with comp cards and work the agencies to be seen and help bring this change.
it will def be an uphill battle as the agencies are used to what they are used to. and i would bet skinny muscular will be first. even someone like nicole wilkins-lee would be considered to muscular. body types that come to mind - alicia marie would be a good example as the gateway of what thinner muscular bodies that would be more accepting.

Carolyn Bryant
03-17-2010, 01:02 PM

Here, Here to that! Willamena Models (sp) is one of the few companies that acknowledges all types of models. The idea if you are over 25 and a size 2 you're not model material is so outdated.

RDFinders
03-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Here, Here to that! Willamena Models (sp) is one of the few companies that acknowledges all types of models. The idea if you are over 25 and a size 2 you're not model material is so outdated.
yes, they are more diverse in the selection of models. i have a client who was trying to become a sports model with them and she was too muscular (she is competing in figure), so that goes to show our level of muscular is going to be very different from the fashion industry's idea of muscular. just think how many years it has taken to get away from the twiggy idea of beauty to having skinny muscular - cindy crawford and naomi campbell.

Musclepapa John
03-17-2010, 01:15 PM

Carolyn would you acknowledge then the possibility that there is in fact growing opportunities opening for you ladies not only with Wilhelmina but elsewhere in the industry as this news from Paris (and hopefully Miami this week) hopefully has a ripple effect?
www.wilhelmina.com/divisions_women.cfm (http://www.wilhelmina.com/divisions_women.cfm)
Their divisions include "S Women" 24yrs & up, "W Curve" curvy women size 10 & up, Sports & Fitness division image branding, etc.

Musclepapa John
03-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Would you rather be a working Ford Model Agency model or be a working MD or other Fitness Industry publication model?

Does one help or hurt the other?

Where is the biggest payoff for the model?

What if you could do both?

RDFinders
03-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Carolyn would you acknowledge then the possibility that there is in fact growing opportunities opening for you ladies not only with Wilhelmina but elsewhere in the industry as this news from Paris (and hopefully Miami this week) hopefully has a ripple effect?
www.wilhelmina.com/divisions_women.cfm (http://www.wilhelmina.com/divisions_women.cfm)
Their divisions include "S Women" 24yrs & up, "W Curve" curvy women size 10 & up, Sports & Fitness division image branding, etc.
gotta question for you - are you guys working yourselves into the industry as being experts in sports/fitness modeling photography? presenting your portfolios increases exposure for yourselves and future models. and it works with us as well as speaking on the photographers you have worked with. bill dobbins does high fashion as well as bbing/fitness. who else in your group is doing the same?

Musclepapa John
03-17-2010, 02:38 PM
gotta question for you - are you guys working yourselves into the industry as being experts in sports/fitness modeling photography? presenting your portfolios increases exposure for yourselves and future models. and it works with us as well as speaking on the photographers you have worked with. bill dobbins does high fashion as well as bbing/fitness. who else in your group is doing the same?

Good question.
I believe Brian Moss, George Legaros, Isaac Hinds, Joe Bayer, Tre Scott, all do a bit of it as has Ed Mataraso prior to moving out of Miami a few months ago. Model Mayhem is full of 'em.
There does seem to be some stratification of the market where paid models in the fitness industry are doing it for cams and a handful of the more hardcore paysites while the women that lean toward agency contract assignments wouldn't typically do the other sorts of work. The photographers are working different revenue streams and systems for profit often a lot less per hour than a successful model can earn.

Personally I'd prefer to have a business model that allows me to shoot athletic models for mainstream fashion oriented entertainment. I pay models for specific assignments in this vein without a guarantee of my making my money back. By comparison though I get risque assignments such as a contact this morning from a fitness model offering me an expense paid for profit shoot of her honeymoon sex video production in Bora Bora.
The point is the interests of the industry are not the same as those of the model even though there my be some intersection of those interests.

Gaoshang Xiongshou
03-17-2010, 02:47 PM
If this is the start of a new direction in the look of the models will keep young women from starving themselves to obtain the "model" look, and be healthy, then this is indeed a good day.

FitnBuf
03-17-2010, 02:50 PM
If this is the start of a new direction in the look of the models will keep young women from starving themselves to obtain the "model" look, and be healthy, then this is indeed a good day.

I agree...It will cut down on the models that are dying from the struggle, but also all the impressionable young teens that are purging their way into those "skinny jeans".

RDFinders
03-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Good question.
I believe Brian Moss, George Legaros, Isaac Hinds, Joe Bayer, Tre Scott, all do a bit of it as has Ed Mataraso prior to moving out of Miami a few months ago. Model Mayhem is full of 'em.
There does seem to be some stratification of the market where paid models in the fitness industry are doing it for cams and a handful of the more hardcore paysites while the women that lean toward agency contract assignments wouldn't typically do the other sorts of work. The photographers are working different revenue streams and systems for profit often a lot less per hour than a successful model can earn.

Personally I'd prefer to have a business model that allows me to shoot athletic models for mainstream fashion oriented entertainment. I pay models for specific assignments in this vein without a guarantee of my making my money back. By comparison though I get risque assignments such as a contact this morning from a fitness model offering me an expense paid for profit shoot of her honeymoon sex video production in Bora Bora.
The point is the interests of the industry are not the same as those of the model even though there my be some intersection of those interests.
let's not cross the previous threads with schmoe sites and legitmate modeling agencies. if there is a need or possible avenue for fitness/figure/bikini competitors to break into mainstream modeling, what are photogs doing to get their portfolios in front of those agencies? if that is not something you guys are doing, then it stands to reason that fewer competitors should shoot with you guys b/c the increased exposure is not going to be there. hotel underwear photos are not something a legit agency is necessarily going to want to see. for fitness/sports modeling, portraying the action/sport is going to be important along with looking the part, esp in the face. gabrielle reese is a great example of crossover into sports modeling from a competitive sport. runway work is very different than catalog work, which needs to be distingish here. so it is still really going to be on the competitor to break her own doors open if modeling is of interest to her and making sure she gets in front of the right photographer.

Musclepapa John
03-17-2010, 03:03 PM

True that! The impact on millions of other women that are sensitive to the body images portrayed in mass marketing would likewise benefit.

Musclepapa John
03-17-2010, 03:11 PM
I couldn't agree more. When I addressed the motivations and "follow the photographers money stream" point it has to be stated as the interests of a model and her comp card and image management are separate from the interests of any one or group of photographers.
Plus, the same as certain photographers photos and your association with them can lead to print work in the fitness industry "some" of those photos along with standard fare head shots, etc are useful for getting the athlete models foot in the agency door.

let's not cross the previous threads with schmoe sites and legitmate modeling agencies. if there is a need or possible avenue for fitness/figure/bikini competitors to break into mainstream modeling, what are photogs doing to get their portfolios in front of those agencies? if that is not something you guys are doing, then it stands to reason that fewer competitors should shoot with you guys b/c the increased exposure is not going to be there. hotel underwear photos are not something a legit agency is necessarily going to want to see. for fitness/sports modeling, portraying the action/sport is going to be important along with looking the part, esp in the face. gabrielle reese is a great example of crossover into sports modeling from a competitive sport. runway work is very different than catalog work, which needs to be distingish here. so it is still really going to be on the competitor to break her own doors open if modeling is of interest to her and making sure she gets in front of the right photographer.

Gaoshang Xiongshou
03-17-2010, 03:16 PM
I also think the magazines bear a brunt of the responsibility for that trend of dying to be thin among so many young women. Not until recent years did anyone bother to explain that all images on the covers and contained within were moderately to heavily doctored to achieve the perfection shown, nor would they mention that A-lister #1 or Model B had limitless financial resources (for plastic surgery, and other non-conventional cosmetic aids) and the attention of personal trainers and nutritionists who tended to them on an almost 24-hour basis.

Musclepapa John
03-17-2010, 03:37 PM
All true and along with echoing your words I'd like to add that athletes, models and the public at large has to hold themselves responsible as consumers that support or don't support one "look" over another.
However, that is easier said than done as the quasi-science of psychology took off at the same time as did mass communications technology. Marketers abilities to manipulate our human fears and weakness delivered on television, in movies, on billboards, magazines all sorts of print and electronic communication devices has somewhat short-circuited independent thinking. Our democracy has likewise suffered as for the most part you couldn't get a rally of any magnitude of like minded people short of a 911 magnitude event. The Founding Fathers surely didn't foresee the influence of commercial media in the modern era. If they had it might not have been given the protections under the First Amendment that it has. As with political control of our democracy it costs a few billion dollars in advertising messages paid to the major networks that bleed both sides for everything they can get.

I also think the magazines bear a brunt of the responsibility for that trend of dying to be thin among so many young women. Not until recent years did anyone bother to explain that all images on the covers and contained within were moderately to heavily doctored to achieve the perfection shown, nor would they mention that A-lister #1 or Model B had limitless financial resources (for plastic surgery, and other non-conventional cosmetic aids) and the attention of personal trainers and nutritionists who tended to them on an almost 24-hour basis.

Lann1011
03-17-2010, 05:17 PM

Wow I was a size 10 before I toned up,, I had no idea I was a plus size model then haha

RDFinders
03-17-2010, 08:15 PM
I couldn't agree more. When I addressed the motivations and "follow the photographers money stream" point it has to be stated as the interests of a model and her comp card and image management are separate from the interests of any one or group of photographers.
Plus, the same as certain photographers photos and your association with them can lead to print work in the fitness industry "some" of those photos along with standard fare head shots, etc are useful for getting the athlete models foot in the agency door.
so let's limit the discussion to how to promote one self with legimate modeling and not paysite modeling. fitness/figure competitors would like to know how to get to agencies, who are the photographers in the business that will further their cause, and how to take on being a sports model. just b/c one has a muscular body does not = model. posing, facial expressions, skin care, etc are all important parts of becoming a model. and from what i have seen with some of the "modeling" photos from physique photographers - competitors need work in that department.

Musclepapa John
03-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Body Sport Modeling Camps are a good choice for learning how to do it right with Terry & Elaine Goodlad and Ana Tigre. I've found the trained talent that has emerged from his camps are quite polished having undergone a legitimate transformation as dramatic as seen in before and after contest prep photos.
Learning how to pose is of course important, but I find figure competitors at least have some practice in positioning their legs, arms and torsos in complimentary photographic imagery. Not so much the bodybuilders I've worked with as the sport is much more about mandatory flexing and free posing. Regardless, the Body Sport Modeling Camps I believe are probably the best thing going at the moment in the fitness industry for training gals the right ins and outs.

so let's limit the discussion to how to promote one self with legimate modeling and not paysite modeling. fitness/figure competitors would like to know how to get to agencies, who are the photographers in the business that will further their cause, and how to take on being a sports model. just b/c one has a muscular body does not = model. posing, facial expressions, skin care, etc are all important parts of becoming a model. and from what i have seen with some of the "modeling" photos from physique photographers - competitors need work in that department.

Musclepapa John
03-18-2010, 01:17 PM
$1.5 Million Dress to Be Shown at Miami International Fashion Week
By Kyle Munzenrieder
Mar. 16 2010
So, one fashion week in town just ended, but another will begin this Thursday when Miami International Fashion Week kicks off. Yeah, it's confusing, but this one has a $1.5 million dress. Uh, does that mean the recession is over?
Beirut-based designer Jad Ghandour and Danesha Luxury will present the creation, which apparently will have diamonds and 18-karat gold worked into the design.
"Our aim wasn't to just throw diamonds and gold together and call it a 'diamond gown,'" Ghandour's design team told Stylist. "We wanted to create a masterpiece -- a gown that would highlight the finest materials without looking overwrought and costume-y."
The dress will be unveiled at 9:30 p.m. this Saturday during Miami International Fashion Week, which will take place in Wynwood. We assume a crack security team has been lined up.
http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2010/03/15_million_dress_to_... (http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2010/03/15_million_dress_to_be_shown_a.php)

Wafa Saifi selected by Miami International Fashion Week
Priyanka Shewakramani
DNATuesday, March 16, 2010

Mumbai: An emerging name in the fashion industry, the young Wafa Saifi has been selected by Miami International Fashion Week (MIFW) in the Emerging East Showcase category.
A Wafa Saifi design
MIFW has always been a great platform for new designers as quite a few Indians like Anamika Khanna and Manish Arora began their careers at MIFW. “I am hoping I am on the right track,” says Wafa.
Wafa studied fashion designing at Parsons in New York. After working in New York for a year, she moved back to Mumbai with dreams of starting her own label.
A chance meeting with the director of Dubai Fashion Week got her the opportunity to showcase her work in the Middle East. “Dubai Fashion Week happened on the spur of the moment. I pulled the collection together in two weeks,” she says. Since Dubai Fashion Week in October 2008, the emerging designer has participated in many exhibitions and done a resort wear collection too.
At the MIFW, Wafa will be putting forth an evening wear collection but she adds a unique touch. “I am doing it not just in the way of gowns. The collection has a contemporary twist that includes short cocktail dresses, jumpsuits and shorts.” Additionally, hard embroidery is combined with softer fabrics such as chiffon and georgette. “My aesthetics have always been to juxtapose the hard with the soft,” she says.
Her collection is inspired by Greek mythology specifically Zeus, God of Sky and Thunder. Wafa says that the colour palette was inspired by thunderous skies. “The most dominant colour of the collection is grey but there are also deep purples and fuschia. Astonishingly, there are no black clothes in the collection.”
http://www.dnaindia.com/lifestyle/report_wafa-saifi-selected-by-mia... (http://www.dnaindia.com/lifestyle/report_wafa-saifi-selected-by-miami-international-fashion-week_1359753)

12th Annual Miami International Fashion Week
Sunday, 14 March 2010 21:17
Written by Joey Amato
Miami International Fashion Week, the largest Latin American and international fashion event in the U.S., will celebrate its 12th annual event March 18-21, 2010 with the hottest fashions from around the globe strutting down the runway. This unique fashion experience was created by Beth Sobol in 1999. The event brings together world-renowned designers, entertainers and chefs with international jet-setters, celebrities and fashionistas for a non-stop celebration.
More than 60 international designers will reveal their latest collections in women’s evening wear, pręt-a-porter, swimwear, men’s wear, jewelry and accessories. They are flying in their collections from throughout Latin America, the Caribbean, India, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Lebanon, Europe and beyond.
The MIFW 2010 special guest designer is Silvia Tcherassi, one of the most creative, innovative and versatile young personalities in the world of fashion. Tcherassi has shown her pręt-a-porter collections as a special guest at the Fashion Weeks in Milan and Paris. Her unique style has been defined as having the delicateness of a ballet dancer and the strength of a rock star and was the 2001 New Star in Fashion award recipient at MIFW.
This year MIFW will take place at Midtown Miami in the trendy Wynwood Art District. This exciting new venue will host a line-up of glamorous fashion shows, jewelry and accessories marketplace, international chefs pavilion, VIP sponsor lounges and multiple fashion and art displays.
Back by popular demand is the International Culinary Arts Pavilion. Guests will savor delicacies prepared by a different celebrity chef each night, bringing to life the culinary culture of the countries represented by the international fashion designers showcased on the runway.
The star-studded Miami Moda & Music Awards® will cap off fashion week with a fanfare of fashion and entertainment including celebrity emcees and international recording artists.
For more information or to purchase tickets, visit Miamifashionweek.com.
http://www.southfloridagaynews.com/life-and-style/fashion/817-12th-... (http://www.southfloridagaynews.com/life-and-style/fashion/817-12th-annual-miami-international-fashion-week.html)

Miami Fashion Week Founder: "Everyone Wants to Come to Miami"
Fashion veteran Beth Sobolis happy to set up shop in Miami after traveling the world as a model for two decades -- and said she thinks the Magic City is New York a run for its catwalk.
"How can you beat it?" said Sobol, also the founder of Miami Fashion Week. "In New York Fashion Week, they were trudging through snow. Here, we go to the beach."
"Miami is neck-and-neck with New York right now," she said. "New York Fashion Week is only three years older than us."
Miami Fashion Week, which kicks off on Thursday, started out as a way to present the latest collection from Latin American designers and has grown to the largest International and Hispanic fashion events in the U.S.
"Miami is its own entity," said Sobol. "The allure of it, the sexiness, the excitement -- everyone wants to come to Miami."
The centerpiece of the Fashion Week festivities, which will continue through the weekend in Miami's trendy Wynwood hood, is a $1.5 million gown by Lebanon designer Jad Ghandour. The high-priced frock -- Sobel said it "came with an insurance policy and two guards" -- is decked out with diamonds and 18-karat gold, and there are whispers that a mystery celeb model will be strutting it down the runway at Saturday night's closing show.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/blogs/niteside/Miami-Fashion-Week-Founder--... (http://www.nbcmiami.com/blogs/niteside/Miami-Fashion-Week-Founder--87729122.html)

Musclepapa John
03-18-2010, 09:45 PM
so let's limit the discussion to how to promote one self with legimate modeling and not paysite modeling.
YouTube- How to Model : Photo Modeling Tips
YouTube- Model Posing 101

fitness/figure competitors would like to know how to get to agencies, who are the photographers in the business that will further their cause, and how to take on being a sports model.

I disagree that you should expect to "hook up" with some photographer as if that will deliver you to fame and fortune. Maybe it works that way in the fitness industry:p
Learn how to dress for casting:
YouTube- How to Dress for Castings

Learn skin care, lol:
YouTube- MODEL BEAUTY TIP: Ariel's skin care made easy

just b/c one has a muscular body does not = model. posing, facial expressions, skin care, etc are all important parts of becoming a model. and from what i have seen with some of the "modeling" photos from physique photographers - competitors need work in that department.
True. You need appropriate photos for your portfolio, comp card, etc that "might" include photos from physique photographers or someone like Bob Pardue who has a terrific website with weekly tips for those wanting to be models.
Here is one of Bob's tips on "Getting Started and Finding an Agency" http://www.bobpardue.com/articles/model-get-listed.htm

Musclepapa John
03-19-2010, 12:27 AM
Some of you ladies can do this :yep:

YouTube- Model Casting Call - Miami International Fashion Week

Musclepapa John
03-19-2010, 11:44 PM
If in Miami this weekend and want to partake in some of the fashionable Fashion Week Experience head over to Nikki Beach:yep:

http://www.nikkibeachmail.com/email/miami-news/alerts/addicted_r1_c1.jpg
http://www.nikkibeachmail.com/email/miami-news/alerts/addict_r1_c1.jpg
http://www.nikkibeachmail.com/email/miami-news/alerts/addict_r2_c1.jpg

Musclepapa John
03-27-2010, 12:19 AM
More skinny broads upchucking in the bathroom at this thing that on Friday night at the Chinese Takee Outee.:yep:

Shariff Abel
03-27-2010, 12:27 AM
They Don't Follow the Keto Diet so its not valuable asset or impotent in the RX Muscle Board.

Musclepapa John
03-27-2010, 12:29 AM
lol, sure it is. A girl has to make a buck:yep: