PDA

View Full Version : Let's save fitness!!!

Musclepapa John
03-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Just kidding. Someone else is gonna do that:)

Laticia Action Jackson emailed me today and informed me she won't be able to do the New York Pro that she had planned on doing as her season opener. She has dislocated her shoulder practicing her routine. :hypno:

Lame excuse if I ever heard one:mad:

You can send your well wishes to Laticia through her website www.LaticiaJackson.com or email at [email protected]

FitnBuf
03-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Just kidding. Someone else is gonna do that:)

Laticia Action Jackson emailed me today and informed me she won't be able to do the New York Pro that she had planned on doing as her season opener. She has dislocated her shoulder practicing her routine. :hypno:

Lame excuse if I ever heard one:mad:

You can send your well wishes to Laticia through her website www.LaticiaJackson.com (http://www.LaticiaJackson.com) or email at [email protected]

Ya think??? LOL All the best to her!

Musclepapa John
03-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Jenna Mitcheson is a friend of mine that is allowing me to post her commentary on "Safety Concerns" that I feel are very important relative to fitness. You gotta love these working journalists with ATTITUDE:yep:
"I've done three fitness shows, and for the most part, my experiences have been very positive. However, the issue of safety is something that I think people need to understand.

Some show promoters allow you to warm up prior to your routine. Every stage is different, and even though gymnastics is not required in the routines, it certainly draws ooohs and ahhhs from the audience, so a lot of us gals will throw some tricks. Problem is, we're not always given appropriate space to warm up which raises a safety issue. 2 shows I did, the girls doing gymnastics were allowed to warm up for about 15 minutes on the stage prior to the event. I was so grateful for this. It helped me get a feel for the stage and to make sure there were no slippery spots anywhere from posing oil or dust. Even the girls who weren't doing gymnastics used it as an opportunity to stretch out, etc. When you've cut water, muscle cramps aren't unheard of.

The slippery stage is another concern. It's no surprise I had my best routine ever when the fitness competitors were the first to perform that day. Why? Because I knew, without a doubt, that when I got set to do a running tumbling pass, I knew I could trust the surface I was taking off from and landing on.

My first show, I was slipping and sliding all over the place and was scared to death. I didn't perform hardly any of the tricks I had practiced because the stage was a slippery mess. I missed 2 mandatories because my timing was so thrown off. The response from the promoter when we filed a complaint? "You have the wrong shoes on." Funny since Kelly Ryan wore the same shoes for years, as did my coach at the time.

I'm not making excuses here or anything of that sort, but I think show promoters and those backstage need to have an understanding of what fitness competitors go through to get where we are, and to allow us to address safety concerns without fear that we'll be penalized or are just "whining about it." I don't want to step on a slippery stage and go for a tough trick, fall, and seriously injure myself. And we deserve the opportunity to perform a routine the way we practiced it. We shouldn't have to modify our skills because on show day, the promoter decided bodybuilders needed to go first, or the promoter was unaware that mopping an oily floor will only spread the oil around. That's just common sense! Those are the kinds of things we have to deal with, and it deters people from competing!

Sorry if I sound like I'm complaining, but this is what was on my heart, and I'm so grateful that somebody is allowing us to voice our opinions. Thank you!"

YouTube- Jenna Mitcheson Southeastern USA 2008

YouTube- Bodybuilders David & Nicki Henry Interview

YouTube- Palm Beach Pro-Am Scariest Moment 2007

YouTube- 2008 IFBB Palm Beach Pro-Am Promoter Passes Away 5/20/08

Lann1011
03-19-2010, 05:56 AM
Why don't they put some kind of mat down for the fitness girls? You do not see Gymnasts anywhere else doing their moves on a hard stage... They get hurt so much.. I love watching the routines.. I so want to do it too..

Lann1011
03-19-2010, 06:32 AM
I went to the youtube link for the fitness girl that fell off the stage to watch the video.. There were so MANY negative comments on there .. I had to slam a few chunky little 13 year olds who were saying she was ugly, masculine, too muscular, gross and Unattractive to men??? WTF is wrong with kids, people.. Slam it if you can't get that look, or are to lazy to work for it I guess. If you get a second post something nice on youtube ha ha...

Sandpig
03-19-2010, 06:59 AM
Why don't they put some kind of mat down for the fitness girls? You do not see Gymnasts anywhere else doing their moves on a hard stage... They get hurt so much.. I love watching the routines.. I so want to do it too..
They should do something.
I love watching those routines. The stuff these women do is incredible. :yep:

Musclepapa John
03-19-2010, 08:26 AM
I went to the youtube link for the fitness girl that fell off the stage to watch the video.. There were so MANY negative comments on there .. I had to slam a few chunky little 13 year olds who were saying she was ugly, masculine, too muscular, gross and Unattractive to men??? WTF is wrong with kids, people.. Slam it if you can't get that look, or are to lazy to work for it I guess. If you get a second post something nice on youtube ha ha...

Thanks Lann. I've now removed most of those comments that get me upset as well:confused:

Musclepapa John
03-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Most of what I hear is lip service from those who want these ladies entertainment value at the show, but who aren't interested in doing much else to protect their safety.
I've brought the mats and general safety concerns up myself and seen the ideas dismissed by folks that could effect such change.
Some such folks have said it would be too costly, but then I've heard and seen promoters like IFBB Pro Bev DiRenzo who owns a gymnastics facility use them at her Gulf Coast Championships with great success. She would also make them available to others and offer advice as such training is her profession. Yet, the burden always falls back on the competitor by the urging of non-competitors looking to profit off their performance and often their injuries. I'd like to see some of the fat asses calling for more competitors in fitness who don't support greater safety measures up on stage putting their asses on the line trying some of this stuff. Now that would be entertainment:yep:

Musclepapa John
03-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Credit where credit is due: Siouxcountry.com is coordinating a bunch of fitness competitors IFBB pros mostly to provide free training through an Adopt A Fitness Competitor Program. This is terrific. It costs a great deal of money to get this caliber of gym training, posing, choreography help etc. Looking forward to seeing an army of competitors come out of that program and maybe this site can serve similarly as a conduit for such not for profit assistance in saving fitness.

As for me I adopted Laticia above and Stephanie Bambrough last year. :hmn:

Musclepapa John
03-19-2010, 12:48 PM
For those interested the 2011 UltraFlex Ms. Fitness World is supposedly being taped for Fox Sports and will take place SATURDAY August 21, 2010 at the Grand Sierra Resort Reno-Tahoe. Find out more about qualifying events at http://www.msfitness.com/dates.html

Musclepapa John
03-19-2010, 01:23 PM
"Let's Save Fitness Competitors" might should be the mantra.
If the athletes are indeed the paramount concern then nurturing their off and onstage development and helping them maximize their financial opportunities would seem to be in order. As with sports like football that take a toll on the athletes body I don't believe the time in the sport can be long or much more than five to ten years on the outside.
Unlike football where the payout can be huge and offset a lifetime of permanent damage and injury there is no such payout in fitness. Sure there isn't for the women in the other divisions either. However, if the fitness athletes as opposed to the fitness industry are being put first and foremost what can be done to protect the athletes and help them maximize the rewards for what can be a lifetime commitment considering debilitating injuries that may stay with them for a lifetime?
What fitness competitors do you know that have been able to convert their time onstage into other highly profitable ventures as a result? I know it is "fun," but what about the time off from your day job as with Laticia above as a school teacher nursing a separated shoulder trying to compete for "fun" at the New York Pro? I fully expect to hear criticisms of these pros for not showing up at some of these shows. And I think it cuts both ways. What is the sport doing for these women??

sassy69
03-19-2010, 02:37 PM
It would be interesting if they just consolidated the Fitness competitions to where there are appropriate facilities. It might end up being seperate from most of the BB NPC shows, but it could be joined w/ some of the bigger ones and those could become "the" fitness competitions. This might also give a chance to join w/ other gymnastics-oriented sports - like fitness sports festival instead of lumping in fitness w/ BB, etc. where there are no such appropriate resources or safety considerations.

IMO there are so many ways the NPC / IFBB could structure their shows and the hierarchy of Jr and Natioanl level shows to better accommodate consistency in judging and a path upward instead of making it so random & dependent upon which show, in what state is judged how. And to give the pro cards more value - I still see nothing but immediate saturation and zero value to a Bikini pro card if you can get it in 2 shows when you decided to compete 2 weeks earlier. Ironically, OUTSIDE the industry if you say you're an IFBB Bikini Pro , that sounds like it has value and is probably a decent thing to have on your resume for modeling or spokes model gigs. But within the industry its an eye-roller.

Lann1011
03-19-2010, 03:45 PM
What I do not understand... The judges are trying to make the fitness girls have less muscle.. Don't they NEED that muscle to do moves and NOT hurt themselves? They want Figure to be less muscular too! It is like a conspiracy to turn us all into BIKINI girls!

I deleted my post off of youtube, but man haters make me mad.

Musclepapa John
03-19-2010, 03:52 PM
I agree. Much better opportunities outside the "fitness industry" as a "Bikini Pro" than "fitness Pro" or 'Bodybuilder or Figure Pro." I like your ideas on better organization and accomodation for these athletes.

It would be interesting if they just consolidated the Fitness competitions to where there are appropriate facilities. It might end up being seperate from most of the BB NPC shows, but it could be joined w/ some of the bigger ones and those could become "the" fitness competitions. This might also give a chance to join w/ other gymnastics-oriented sports - like fitness sports festival instead of lumping in fitness w/ BB, etc. where there are no such appropriate resources or safety considerations.

IMO there are so many ways the NPC / IFBB could structure their shows and the hierarchy of Jr and Natioanl level shows to better accommodate consistency in judging and a path upward instead of making it so random & dependent upon which show, in what state is judged how. And to give the pro cards more value - I still see nothing but immediate saturation and zero value to a Bikini pro card if you can get it in 2 shows when you decided to compete 2 weeks earlier. Ironically, OUTSIDE the industry if you say you're an IFBB Bikini Pro , that sounds like it has value and is probably a decent thing to have on your resume for modeling or spokes model gigs. But within the industry its an eye-roller.

Musclepapa John
03-19-2010, 04:00 PM
lol, ain't that the truth. I know more than one fitness pro that trains hardly any fitness competitors, but rather bikini & figure girls for the most part.

What I do not understand... The judges are trying to make the fitness girls have less muscle.. Don't they NEED that muscle to do moves and NOT hurt themselves? They want Figure to be less muscular too! It is like a conspiracy to turn us all into BIKINI girls!

I deleted my post off of youtube, but man haters make me mad.

sassy69
03-19-2010, 04:17 PM
I agree. Much better opportunities outside the "fitness industry" as a "Bikini Pro" than "fitness Pro" or 'Bodybuilder or Figure Pro." I like your ideas on better organization and accomodation for these athletes.

It just really seems that w/ a little extra thought, so much more could be made of what the NPC / IFFB is and its perceived value. But they throw it away and look the other way when there's nothing but chaos for the competitors who keep coming back w/ their federation dues & entry fees. I just hate to see amazing things wasted.

Musclepapa John
03-19-2010, 04:43 PM
It just really seems that w/ a little extra thought, so much more could be made of what the NPC / IFFB is and its perceived value. But they throw it away and look the other way when there's nothing but chaos for the competitors who keep coming back w/ their federation dues & entry fees. I just hate to see amazing things wasted.

Obviously, they can do whatever they want or don't want to do, but I agree that indeed there are ways to improve the situation and NOT merely by claiming women don't want to compete, that pros won't show up like they should, etc. etc.
Maybe waive entry fees or greatly reduce them along with the NPC card for those who commit to compete in one or more shows if the division is so loved and appreciated. Just kidding that wouldn't work. :)

Get out there and compete women or they will replace you with bikini girls! lol. Oh, yea Striker already said that in Phoenix didn't he?

sassy69
03-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Obviously, they can do whatever they want or don't want to do, but I agree that indeed there are ways to improve the situation and NOT merely by claiming women don't want to compete, that pros won't show up like they should, etc. etc.
Maybe waive entry fees or greatly reduce them along with the NPC card for those who commit to compete in one or more shows if the division is so loved and appreciated. Just kidding that wouldn't work. :)

Get out there and compete women or they will replace you with bikini girls! lol. Oh, yea Striker already said that in Phoenix didn't he?

I dont' think any modification of the fees is going to change - but I'm saying things like have a clear hierarchy of shows that range from Class I to Class V, where only certain levels are national or Jr national level qualifiers. For categories where there are so friggen many competitors (figure, bikini), have multiple levels that you have to win to move up so there's actualy a 'career path' that people have to achieve to even get to a level to win. This will help promote longer involvement in the cycle (i.e to move up in the ranks) and appropriate places for "beginners" to start, and places for them to move up. This would weed out a lot of the "top 4" who won a figure class at some podunk local show who think just because they are qualified for national level, that they really are qualified and capable of competing at that level. If there's no real levels to achieve based on your improvements, then wtf is the point? If you hand out so many damn pro cards, they just get commoditized.

I dunno, just seems there's ways to structure things that could create greater competitoin and greater quality competition because certain degrees of preparedness would be expected at that level vs giving the gold to whoever was the "least fat" or whatever of those who showed up.

Seriously, do we need to see fat bikini girls for God's sake? Spend a little fuckin' time preparing. Its PHYSIQUE show, ain't it?

RDFinders
03-19-2010, 05:23 PM
I dont' think any modification of the fees is going to change - but I'm saying things like have a clear hierarchy of shows that range from Class I to Class V, where only certain levels are national or Jr national level qualifiers. For categories where there are so friggen many competitors (figure, bikini), have multiple levels that you have to win to move up so there's actualy a 'career path' that people have to achieve to even get to a level to win. This will help promote longer involvement in the cycle (i.e to move up in the ranks) and appropriate places for "beginners" to start, and places for them to move up. This would weed out a lot of the "top 4" who won a figure class at some podunk local show who think just because they are qualified for national level, that they really are qualified and capable of competing at that level. If there's no real levels to achieve based on your improvements, then wtf is the point? If you hand out so many damn pro cards, they just get commoditized.

I dunno, just seems there's ways to structure things that could create greater competitoin and greater quality competition because certain degrees of preparedness would be expected at that level vs giving the gold to whoever was the "least fat" or whatever of those who showed up.

Seriously, do we need to see fat bikini girls for God's sake? Spend a little fuckin' time preparing. Its PHYSIQUE show, ain't it?
i so loved the fitness shows of old - galaxy and fitness america pagent. there seemed to be so many dimensions to the shows other than come out in a suit and then jump through the air. i always wanted to compete in fitness but when carolyn semple did her legs over shoulder push up i was done. how can that be topped!? i think a lot of females would compete in fitness b/c figure is so boring if it didn't seem you had to be an ex-gymnastic person to do it. i would have to spend a couple of years in a gymnastic school just to learn some of the basic moves, which would slow down more people entering.

on people entering shows that are not fully prepared, i blame trainers on that one. if your client ain't ready, tell them that. i get calls for prep and people ask me for prices on how much it will take. each case is evaled individually and if i can't get someone ready in 20 weeks (which is my preference, but then i want the person to have muscle on their frame and not cram a prep) then i tell them no way. or if they call and it is 12 weeks before a show and they really need 25 weeks to get ready. i don't want to frustrate them, nor soil my name in the process. and if a competitor wins a regional, they should assess what they need to do in order to prepare for the national level and be prepared to take two years to do it. but npc has killed it with the qualifying status of shows now. sassy it is about the money wheel.

sassy69
03-19-2010, 06:08 PM
i so loved the fitness shows of old - galaxy and fitness america pagent. there seemed to be so many dimensions to the shows other than come out in a suit and then jump through the air. i always wanted to compete in fitness but when carolyn semple did her legs over shoulder push up i was done. how can that be topped!? i think a lot of females would compete in fitness b/c figure is so boring if it didn't seem you had to be an ex-gymnastic person to do it. i would have to spend a couple of years in a gymnastic school just to learn some of the basic moves, which would slow down more people entering.

on people entering shows that are not fully prepared, i blame trainers on that one. if your client ain't ready, tell them that. i get calls for prep and people ask me for prices on how much it will take. each case is evaled individually and if i can't get someone ready in 20 weeks (which is my preference, but then i want the person to have muscle on their frame and not cram a prep) then i tell them no way. or if they call and it is 12 weeks before a show and they really need 25 weeks to get ready. i don't want to frustrate them, nor soil my name in the process. and if a competitor wins a regional, they should assess what they need to do in order to prepare for the national level and be prepared to take two years to do it. but npc has killed it with the qualifying status of shows now. sassy it is about the money wheel.

Not everyone uses a trainer. For many its just an acknowledgement of an accomplishment like "lost 30 lb" or "in best shape of my life" - which is fine- but it should be at the local level. For the above I'm talking about Figure competitors since bikini is still fairly new. But what I see a lot of w/ bikini is someone told the girl she should do this bikini show -- I really have no idea why - its really the lowest level of entry requirements - but I guess they think that since they look hot in a tight dress & heels at the clubs, they should look hot in an expensive bikini & heels in a show. Egads.

Its like - if you're going to have a bikini category, then set it to the highest standards and make it worth something - leverage the value of the NPC / IFBB name.

LOL

Musclepapa John
03-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Tanji Johnson wants the IFBB Pro Fitness gals that are going to hold fitness camps to email her as she is compiling a list of such camps for the NPC News. Email her at [email protected] (http://proxify.com/p/011010A1000100/6d61696c746f3a657863656c6c656e7473706972697440686f 746d61696c2e636f6d). Tanji of course has for quite some time had her own Tanji Save Fitness Team.

Musclepapa John
03-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Interesting point about "having" to compete once you qualify or then risk losing it in the re-qualification process. Unfortunately, there just aren't that many competing at the local/regional level now. I don't expect to see more than ten different ladies total at the twenty five plus local/regional shows I attend this season. Most shows last year had zero to three competitors. I'd love to see that list of total numbers of NPC fitness competitors when she has it compiled. Any wild guesses on total numbers?

and if a competitor wins a regional, they should assess what they need to do in order to prepare for the national level and be prepared to take two years to do it. but npc has killed it with the qualifying status of shows now.

Musclepapa John
03-19-2010, 08:39 PM
I've got mixed feelings about that as I feel embarrassed for some people who get on stage, but then again it is sometimes done for reasons other than to when the Olympia title. When should they stop as they move up? I don't know.

Musclepapa John
03-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Replace the word "bodybuilding" with "fitness" in the quotation of Mr. Tre Scott in another thread and add my DITTO.:yep:
"I'm actually fine with bodybuilding as it is. The culture of women's bodybuilding is growing and the rank-and-file competitors have the desire to do incredible things with their bodies. Sure, the tangible goals of trophies and trophy status can be inspirational, but even if the IFBB didn't exist, women would still do this and some of them would still be great at it."

RDFinders
03-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Not everyone uses a trainer. For many its just an acknowledgement of an accomplishment like "lost 30 lb" or "in best shape of my life" - which is fine- but it should be at the local level. For the above I'm talking about Figure competitors since bikini is still fairly new. But what I see a lot of w/ bikini is someone told the girl she should do this bikini show -- I really have no idea why - its really the lowest level of entry requirements - but I guess they think that since they look hot in a tight dress & heels at the clubs, they should look hot in an expensive bikini & heels in a show. Egads.

Its like - if you're going to have a bikini category, then set it to the highest standards and make it worth something - leverage the value of the NPC / IFBB name.

LOLi can get the "accomplishment" factor, but still don't get on stage with cottage cheese thighs! even at a local level it is still a WTha! moment.