PDA

View Full Version : She's A Fitness Freak!

Musclepapa John
03-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Rock on!

90-year-old woman a fitness fiend
By Bridget MacDonald
GateHouse News Service
Posted Mar 18, 2010
WEST ROXBURY, Mass. — A three-mile run on the treadmill, a muscle-conditioning class and a set of 200 sit-ups are all part of Anna Sudman’s normal exercise routine at Ten X Club in West Roxbury. To most people, that would be a substantial workout. For a 90-year-old woman, it’s remarkable.
“It’s not normal,” said the club’s general manager, Steve McKinney. “The other members call her an inspiration.”
Sudman, who was born Feb. 28, 1920, became a member of the club on VFW Parkway in West Roxbury when it was a Gloria Stevens Fitness Center. She said she joined with a group of friends about 30 years ago, and the welcoming atmosphere has kept her coming back faithfully: two hours every morning, five days per week.
With a fitness regimen that would put many younger people to shame, Sudman is a testament to the idea that attitude can mean more than age when it comes to a person’s well-being.
“It makes me feel good,” she said. “What am I going to do in the house?”
Although Sudman is dismissive about her athletic prowess, she is clearly an energetic person by nature.
When she was growing up, living on Maywood Street in Roxbury, the word “fitness” was not part of the vernacular, but getting lots of exercise came with the territory. “I was always out with the boys, playing kick-the-ball and climbing trees,” Sudman said.
“We always kept busy as kids,” she added. “As my own kids were growing up, we went to the Y … That’s about it.”
She explained that now, going to the gym keeps her busy. But as she raved about the classes and the friendly staff, it was apparent that the gym has become more than just a distraction. Her dedication to fitness is as much about her dedication to community.
While she described how much she enjoys cardio kickboxing and spinning, she was more interested in talking about individual friends and family, including her three children, five grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
Even her childhood memories revolved around friends in the neighborhood, like a story about when she and the local boys would sneak through a fence behind a bakery to scavenge leftover goodies that were dumped into flour barrels at the end of the day.
Today Sudman is better known for giving away baked goods that she makes herself.
“Every Monday, there is something in the break room from Anna,” said McKinney. “She makes cakes for everyone’s birthdays.”
Sudman said she likes to bake on weekends, which are her days off from the gym. She said her sour cream coffeecake with apples is a favorite, but lately “health” cookies — made with cornflakes and oatmeal — have been very popular.
As for health advice, she said people who want to get fit should join a club, and stick to their guns. “You can’t just go for a couple of days,” she said.
Sudman for one is not making excuses. One morning when she was getting ready to go to the gym, she said she felt a sharp pain in her leg. When it subsided, she went to the gym, but the pain returned after her workout.
She said she couldn’t walk, but immediately went to a physical therapist for help. “He fixed the pain in my leg, the pain in my back and the terrible pain in my shoulder,” she said. “That fellow made me a new woman!”
Just as important, he made sure she could be the same woman who has become a vital presence at the club for both the staff and the other members.
“All of the other members flock to her,” said McKinney. “She makes a statement when she is here.”
http://www.wickedlocal.com/taunton/news/lifestyle/x673426296/90-year-old-woman-a-fitness-fiend

Musclepapa John
03-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Been a member of the gym for thirty years. Wonder what her rate is? Think she got grandmothered in?:p

Victoria
03-23-2010, 01:42 AM
That's awesome! I hope that's me someday lol!

Sandpig
03-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Awe...she is so cute!

Don't HOPE, instead say, it WILL be you too :yep:
I plan on training as long as G-d gives me the strength to do so.

Same here.

stephaniewicked
03-27-2010, 12:02 PM
I love hearing stuff like this... too cute!!

Good for her!