PDA

View Full Version : Measuring out your protein correctly

Costco77
03-22-2010, 12:05 AM
Back to the Basic with this question: I know this may seem like a very amateurish question but the reason I ask is because I've seen ounces of protein differ from the package label to online calorie counter web sites. I've always remembered about 4 oz = 24 grams of protein, I try to shoot for anywhere from 30-40 grams of protein per meal/6 meals per day. Latley I've been doing 5 oz to 6 oz of cooked chicken on my digital scale, I have a feeling that I might be overdoing it though. What kind of guideline do you guys follow for this? How many oz or grams would you guys say 30 grams of protein is for:

-Chicken
-Fish (Talapia)
-Red meat (steak)
-Turkey

RDFinders
03-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Back to the Basic with this question: I know this may seem like a very amateurish question but the reason I ask is because I've seen ounces of protein differ from the package label to online calorie counter web sites. I've always remembered about 4 oz = 24 grams of protein, I try to shoot for anywhere from 30-40 grams of protein per meal/6 meals per day. Latley I've been doing 5 oz to 6 oz of cooked chicken on my digital scale, I have a feeling that I might be overdoing it though. What kind of guideline do you guys follow for this? How many oz or grams would you guys say 30 grams of protein is for:

-Chicken
-Fish (Talapia)
-Red meat (steak)
-Turkeyon average each ounce of meat has 7 grams of protein. i use the ADA for estimates. as that is all you can do is estimate.

Ninja Loco
03-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Why are you worrying about possible missed grams or too few thereof? Do you compete and make a living off that? Are you in any position where such hair splitting is going to make a heavy difference on your body? Unless the answer to those questions is yes, even 50 grams off isnt going to make any noticeable difference. Eat your food and quit worrying about non issues.

Costco77
03-22-2010, 12:27 AM
yes,yes,yes. Go and eat your food and stop wasting your time typing.

Ninja Loco
03-22-2010, 12:32 AM
yes,yes,yes. Go and eat your food and stop wasting your time typing.
LOL well if thats the case then you do want to worry about it to a degree. Most people dont, but waste more time worrying about supplement timing, amount of protein in shakes, and even stupidities such as shake timing than the overall picture. An ounce is going to differ from cut to cut, but even most competitors I know go by the volume rule, which is any meat portion that is roughly the volume of your fist is going to have between 20-25 grams of protein. Never seen any competitor, pro or otherwise, who came in out of condition because he missed a handfull of grams. The human body doesnt work that way.

Costco77
03-22-2010, 12:38 AM
I know that Ninja, it's really a simple question and i got a simple and great answer from RDFinders that I've not herd anyone say before I wasn't asking for anything exactly down to the decimal just a good guideline to follow and RDFinders gave that to me; you don't need to lecture me and make me feel stupid for asking a question.

Ninja Loco
03-22-2010, 12:44 AM
I know that Ninja, it's really a simple question and i got a simple and great answer from RDFinders that I've not herd anyone say before I wasn't asking for anything exactly down to the decimal just a good guideline to follow and RDFinders gave that to me; you don't need to lecture me and make me feel stupid for asking a question.
No one is lecturing you. And had you not been a competitor is really would have been a stupid question. More people really do worry about stupidities like this than they do the big picture. Take what I said any way you want to, its the truth. If it hurts your feelings then it's something you have to take up within yourself. Changing a tire gets you dirty too..... so take that any way you want as well.

RDFinders
03-22-2010, 12:50 AM
No one is lecturing you. And had you not been a competitor is really would have been a stupid question. More people really do worry about stupidities like this than they do the big picture. Take what I said any way you want to, its the truth. If it hurts your feelings then it's something you have to take up within yourself. Changing a tire gets you dirty too..... so take that any way you want as well.
but if he wants to worry about his macros and if he is coming close so let him. it doesn't cost you anything ninja. lol!

Costco77
03-22-2010, 01:01 AM
It is part of the big picture loser...Nutrition, diet, macros when your starting out it's nice to have some sort of guideline to follow, of course you can try your best to follow the macro breakdown but are you going to get it exactly right every time, no so i'm agreeing with you, but at least you have a consistant estimate each time. And that's all I needed from RDFinders, 7g per oz is a good number to follow.

Costco77
03-22-2010, 01:11 AM
on average each ounce of meat has 7 grams of protein. i use the ADA for estimates. as that is all you can do is estimate.

Thanks for the response, that's the type of answer i was hoping for.

Ninja Loco
03-22-2010, 01:14 AM
You do have to be somewhat consistent. Im just saying letting you know that the human body isnt going to recognize a few grams one way or the other. You didnt like how I said it but Im not here to coddle your feelings, Im just here to pass along what Ive learned. Find a much nicer place to post if your feelings get hurt easy or just chuck it up to the internet and realize that the written word does not carry tone of voice when one is posting blanket statements. I wasnt being rude, just matter of fact.

And RD, it may not cost us anything when we see people doing stupid shit in the gym but we still comment on it so others know it's stupid.

RDFinders
03-22-2010, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the response, that's the type of answer i was hoping for.
your welcome.

And RD, it may not cost us anything when we see people doing stupid shit in the gym but we still comment on it so others know it's stupid.
i know, stupidity erks me to no end as well ninja. but cut the guy some slack, he just needed a little information to help his consistency.

Ninja Loco
03-22-2010, 01:21 AM
your welcome.

i know, stupidity erks me to no end as well ninja. but cut the guy some slack, he just needed a little information to help his consistency.
I did cut him some slack. And he got his answer; one that he liked and one that he didnt. The next time he posts he may want to add something along the lines of

"I get my feelings hurt easily if the answer is too much to the point or is too abrupt, so please only answer if you are going to be super nice and sweet."

Maybe that might help him.

RDFinders
03-22-2010, 01:25 AM
I did cut him some slack. And he got his answer; one that he liked and one that he didnt. The next time he posts he may want to add something along the lines of

"I get my feelings hurt easily if the answer is too much to the point or is too abrupt, so please only answer if you are going to be super nice and sweet."

Maybe that might help him.
stop. you just don't like people who erk you. i get it, babe. lol! you would be a piece to drive with. i have come into some very near accidents with people. their driving skills leave a lot to be desired and erk me to no end. yes, he got the answer he was looking for. case closed.

Costco77
03-22-2010, 01:26 AM
If you think my feeling are hurt you're mistaken, I'm just really sick of losers like you on the boards. I just hate when people like you come on the boards and make things so difficult to get an answer by just saying it's unimportant when it's much easier to give a simple answer like the one i got from RDFinders; instead you tell me to just eat your food and quit worrying about non issues, when you said above that 'you do have to be somewhat consistent' How was your first answer going to help any beginer be consistant or give them any direction.

Ninja Loco
03-22-2010, 01:33 AM
If you think my feeling are hurt you're mistaken, I'm just really sick of losers like you on the boards. I just hate when people like you come on the boards and make things so difficult to get an answer by just saying it's unimportant when it's much easier to give a simple answer like the one i got from RDFinders; instead you tell me to just eat your food and quit worrying about non issues, when you said above that 'you do have to be somewhat consistent' How was your first answer going to help any beginer be consistant or give them any direction.
You do have a point, bro. I guess some of us have gotten to the point where we make it hard for some people to get answers. I could name a million reasons why but in the end they're just excuses. Sometimes the mirror doesnt look too good...... I apologize, bro. Thanks for having the guts to stand up and talk some sense to "a veteran".

Costco77
03-22-2010, 01:54 AM
You do have a point, bro. I guess some of us have gotten to the point where we make it hard for some people to get answers. I could name a million reasons why but in the end they're just excuses. Sometimes the mirror doesnt look too good...... I apologize, bro. Thanks for having the guts to stand up and talk some sense to "a veteran".

No prob, I just got a little upset because I'm really just on these boards to learn as much as possible because it's really something that i'm passionate about and sometimes it can be so hard in bodybuilding to just find the truth...in bb it seems like it's never just a black and white answer and I know that there isn't always a black and white answer to everything, the discussion with nutrient timing, supplementation, carbs, postworkout nutrition can go on for days and it can be a bit frusterating sometimes; the bottom line is that i'm just trying to find some consistancy.

Kitty Kat
03-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Costco,
You also need to take in consideration that all all fish have different amounts of protein per oz.

I like using calorieking.com

Costco77
03-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Costco,
You also need to take in consideration that all all fish have different amounts of protein per oz.

I like using calorieking.com

Thanks for the response; that's what I thought...Is it more or less per oz?

Kitty Kat
03-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the response; that's what I thought...Is it more or less per oz?

Well it varies from fish to fish, but not drastically.. Some have more and some have less.. I'm not sure how concerned you are about the fats, but like fish, diferent cuts of beef and chicken have different amounts of fat per oz.
check out calorieking.com