PDA

View Full Version : broken collarbone straightening

firefightermac
03-10-2009, 06:08 PM
I broke my collarbone in december 02. it wasnt reset and just healed overlapped with the big lump in it. As a result my right shoulder is slightly shorter and lower than the other. also it really fucked up the biomechanics of this shoulder. grinds, pinches and has caused me chronic bursitis.

Despite this in the proceesing years I have managed to build my physique from 60kg to an offseason weight of 115 and competitive around 92-93. However ive never been pain free and always nursed it and worked around it.

My question is, is it hypothetically possible to get the collarbone straightened surgically to put it back how it was pre-break and give me full/pain free movement?

lilfella
06-09-2009, 05:57 PM
I had mine rebroken, reset, and put together with a plate and six screws. Before it was reset my arm had a limited range of motion. It fixed that but I had random aches and pains for the next year and a half until I had the plate taken out. Now two years after the plate was removed it is 100%. If you have any questions pm me. good luck

Catarina W
08-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks for posting this...my collarbone was broke and they didn't do anything to it and it looks like crap...Now at least I know I can go have it reset. I'll check into it :)

reformathard
08-19-2009, 11:23 PM
i am going for a consultation on tuesday to talk about getting it rebroken and fixed. its such a pain in the ass not being comfortable.

was it pretty symmetrical again after you were done?

patrickfoster
07-12-2010, 02:49 AM
i wanted to know will my deltoids bicep tricep grow normaly if i have my collar bone reset my left shoulder clicks and the muscles feel lose compared to my right arm

ToddinWC
08-16-2010, 09:50 AM
how did everyone here break there collorbones? was it from lifting?

FATPANDA
10-11-2010, 11:53 AM
I hurt my collar bone too. Mine also is a little lower then the other. I mean if you are willing to go that far to fix it then start all over again then you go ahead. I still have some pains everyonce an awhile but its nt to bad. Best of luck to ya.

mximus.kk
03-14-2012, 12:19 AM
There isn't much information on weight lifting with an overlapped clavical. I broke mine 8 years ago while mountain biking and while it has healed, it too has left me with one short shoulder. The inner section at the front of my shoulder (above pec) is taking on the weight that my pec should be responsible for, and the weight that my trap should take too. Very annoying.

I've tried to compensate for my larger shoulder/smaller pec but it's difficult, so I isolate as much as possibe. Can't remember the last time I worked on barbell bicep curls! I'm not aiming to be a body builder, but I can imagine how fustrating it must be for those who do want to head that way.

Thought I might just add that to this thread. Someone is bound to be looking for advice (including me). The only thing is that I've tried to work with it for a while, and no one else has a better idea of my new mechanics. Perhaps resetting it is the only good option?

tex 6,7
03-14-2012, 02:56 AM
I broke my collarbone in december 02. it wasnt reset and just healed overlapped with the big lump in it. As a result my right shoulder is slightly shorter and lower than the other. also it really fucked up the biomechanics of this shoulder. grinds, pinches and has caused me chronic bursitis.

Despite this in the proceesing years I have managed to build my physique from 60kg to an offseason weight of 115 and competitive around 92-93. However ive never been pain free and always nursed it and worked around it.

My question is, is it hypothetically possible to get the collarbone straightened surgically to put it back how it was pre-break and give me full/pain free movement?

Yes I broke mine n 2007 and put off sug for about a year they took a pice of ham string and pulled the collarbone down where it's sup to b and put screws n it to hold n place and now I am problem free it still sticks up little more than my other one but it's better than was benching 450 raw and shoulder press 300+ with no prob

Dr. Joel Nathan
03-23-2012, 07:51 AM
This is beyond the scope of my medical practice as an internist.