PDA

View Full Version : Getting sick during contest prep

LisaRD23
03-29-2010, 09:33 AM
How do you ladies handle being sick while in prep mode? I've been sick all weekend. I'm still early into prep (11 weeks out) and my coach told me as long as I stick to my diet, the best thing would be to just take a few days off to rest & recoupe.

I know it is the best thing to do...but it's such a mind f*ck to skip a day!:dunno:

Lann1011
03-29-2010, 03:18 PM
I got the flu and dropped a heavy lamp on my foot two weeks out from first contest.. I had to take 4 days off from the flu.. I slept 12 hours at a time... but I think it did mess me up a bit

Nitro Fueled Barbie/Mel Marx
03-29-2010, 03:22 PM
You probably feel as though you have to force yourself to eat the diet food while sick....and that is normal.....I have gotten the 24 hour flu with a fever 3 weeks out before and it sucked.....I skipped a day in the gym and loaded up on meds, but the eating was really the mind fuck.....
you are not hungry but you know that you have to eat but at the same time you feel like you are a bloated melon because you are forcing yourself to eat all the diet food......ick...it sux, not gonna lie, but you bounce off and feel normal again.

you'll probably lose some water and look leaner when you get better, but everything will level back out....

sassy69
03-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Diet, training, recovery. "Recovery" goes to really meeting whatever need your body has to let itself arrive back at "homeostasis". Since its obviously battling some germ right now, its workign pretty hard even though its not involving the gym. That counts as recovery. The factor you have control over and still need keep consistent is the diet. But I agree, unless you're just exhausted and sleeping all the time, I think its harder to do nothing than to do something.

LisaRD23
03-30-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm back at work today...but still dragging. Staying home laying on the couch for 2 days in a row was tourture!! I'll be taking today off from the gym again and will hopefully be back at it by tomorrow.

These anti-botics are just killing my stomach. Eating is VERY tough right now. Eggs and protein shakes are not very appealing when you feel all phlegmy.

Nitro Fueled Barbie/Mel Marx
03-30-2010, 09:25 PM
yup anti-biotics will mess with your appetite....

drpgirl
04-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Glad I found this thread. I am now less than 3 weeks out from a show. I came down with some kind of cold. Achy, feverish, drainage, killer sore throat. I decided to keep working out and see how I feel. I feel worse lying in bed. Did cardio & lifted last night. Didn't feel 100%, but I got through it.
I have loaded up on Vit C, that has messed up my digestion. Taking advil cold & sinus, and gargling with salt H2O & tea tree oil.
Usually, I am ready to eat every 3hrs. but I haven't had the appetite, so I have to conciously keep an eye on the clock.
Nice to see there are others who have experienced the same. It is such a mind game when you've come this far, to have something like a cold slow you down right at the end of prep. I guess the only way I'll keep from working out is if I can't walk. That may be stupid, but I like to see how far I can handle. I am good about surrendering, if I have to.

LisaRD23
04-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Seven days later and I'm finally feeling 85% normal.

It was tough getting over the mind hurdle of not being in the gym, but I am now glad I took the extra time. I made it into the gym last night- purposely didn't push too hard and I'm feeling ok.

10 weeks out tomorrow...no more road hurdles!!!

drpgirl
04-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Glad to hear you're feeling better, LisaRD23. Took today and will take Sunday off, for I still fighting this cold. I am thankful the sore throat is gone, but the new symptoms is a clogged ear. So I feel like I am in a fish bowl. It is more aggrevating than anything. I figured it is going to run its coarse, so a few days rest may be what I need to get better quicker.

stephaniewicked
04-04-2010, 02:43 PM
I was sick a few weeks ago. I didn't get *every* meal in, but I told Tammy how I was feeling and what was going on and just did the best I could. I took off from the gym that Friday and Saturday, pushed myself to go Sunday (after loading up on OTC meds) and I think I had a fever. I was having cold sweats the whole time and couldn't breathe out my nose. My body was out of sorts the rest of the day and I took Monday off from work and the gym to finish allowing myself to recover. I got back in the gym Tuesday and haven't taken a single day off since (that was nearly 3 weeks ago now!) and I feel great!! So yes, I think it's worth it to take the time off if you feel that ill... the day I pushed myself made me feel good mentally, but not physically.

JillyRev
04-06-2010, 02:59 PM
i had strep while dieting for the Arnold Am this year:( and i had to blockage in my intestin a few weeks later... THEN 2 days before the Metro this past weekend i got totally sick...

it was terrible to eat through the strep. i basically choacked down what food i could and then drank shakes... totally could not train for like 5 days... that sucked....

and the intestin issue, ugg i took 3 days off, also could not make ti to the gym... totally suck... i was so scared i was goign to blow it all but my body obvi needed the rest!

ms_moneypenny
04-11-2010, 12:07 AM
i just had a stomach virus this week...maybe tmi but it was coming out both ends! I lost about 4 pounds (mostly water I'm sure!). I'm more than 18 weeks out so I just did the best I could. No gym, lots of pedialyte, water and shakes. Even though I am so far out...it DOES still mess with my game!

drpgirl
04-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Went to an ENT Dr. on Friday. I was getting worried my clogged ear wouldn't clear before the show this weekend. It is challenging enough for me to walk in those heels much less with a clogged ringing ear and being off balanced.
I told him I needed the "express" treatment. Gotta week to get better. He gave me prednisone to reduse inflamation. I've heard prednisone causes increased appetite and water retention. I've been on it since Friday and not having any problems. It has helped my symptoms alot. I am relieved. Sounds like you guys have made it through some more serious illnesses. It does play havoc on your mind when you can't stay on your routine. But if it where easy, everyone would be doing it.

LisaRD23
04-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Went to an ENT Dr. on Friday. I was getting worried my clogged ear wouldn't clear before the show this weekend. It is challenging enough for me to walk in those heels much less with a clogged ringing ear and being off balanced.
I told him I needed the "express" treatment. Gotta week to get better. He gave me prednisone to reduse inflamation. I've heard prednisone causes increased appetite and water retention. I've been on it since Friday and not having any problems. It has helped my symptoms alot. I am relieved. Sounds like you guys have made it through some more serious illnesses. It does play havoc on your mind when you can't stay on your routine. But if it where easy, everyone would be doing it.

Prednisone is a mild steriod- my husband is precribed it 2x a year as a treatment for his eczema. He doesn't get any wierd sides from it. Hopefully you'll be feeling better soon.