PDA

View Full Version : Please Critique Offseason Diet

jjjohns_10
04-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Hey fellow natty's,
Just got done dieting for 17 weeks and competed in the Vancouver Natural Open Light Heavies. Got 4th place, kinda disapointed so i've decided to go back to the drawing board and make the necessary improvements to be competitive at that level. Here's my plan for my offseason mass diet. Any input would be much appreciated, i'm always willing to listen! I'm 6', a solid 200lbs (very low bf right now, i'd say around 4-5%) and am def natural.

MEAL 1:
5 whole Omega-3 eggs, ¼ cup cheese with 1/2 cup of Oatmeal

MEAL 2:
PRE-SHAKE: 50g Whey Isolate, 30g Waxy Maize with 2 tablespoons Natural PB

MEAL 3:
POST-SHAKE: 50g Whey Isolate with 40g Waxy Maize

MEAL 4:
8oz of chicken, 1/2 cup white rice with 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil

MEAL 5:
8oz chicken, 8oz sweet potato with 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil

MEAL6: 8oz steak with a salad with 1/3 cup cashews

MEAL 7: 1 ½ cups cottage cheese w/cinnamon and stevia

SUPPS: Animal Pak, Animal Flex, Animal Omega, Metameucil, Creatine Mono, L-Glutamine, BCAA’s

Give it to me straight!!! I wanna grow

AVBG
04-02-2010, 01:02 AM
It's pretty strict.. Give us an example of what you were doing in the past off season(s) and why you're changing to the diet above.. My only real reservation would be sticking to it longterm

ironwarrior22
04-02-2010, 01:29 AM
To me it doesn't seem like enough food but I don't know anything about your body and what it takes to grow. I would stick to it and see how you are gaining and make adjustments from there.

jjjohns_10
04-02-2010, 12:21 PM
It's pretty strict.. Give us an example of what you were doing in the past off season(s) and why you're changing to the diet above.. My only real reservation would be sticking to it longterm

To me it doesn't seem like enough food but I don't know anything about your body and what it takes to grow. I would stick to it and see how you are gaining and make adjustments from there.

Here's what I have done in the past. Unfortunitly, have gained alot of BF when i've bulked up like this:

Meal 1: TrueMass Protein Shake

Meal 2: 8oz chicken w/bbq sauce, 12oz potato (OR 1 cup white rice) w/ cheese and I cant believe its not butter

Meal 3: Same as meal 2

Meal 4: Truemass Protein Shake (Post-Workout)

Meal 5: Usually McDonald Cheeseburgers w/fries OR a bunch of Sushi

Meal 6: 8oz steak w/sauce and 12oz sweet potato

As you can see, waaay more carbs than what I am trying right now. I wanted to change the diet to mod fat, mod carb because i think i'm carb sensitive. I REALLY want to keep the bodyfat under control this time. I'm natural and have Deadlifted over 600lbs, Benched over 400lbs, and squated over 500lbs in previous years but was FAT!!!

Oh and FYI, i defenitly will be eating cheat meals this next offseason; prob 3-4 per week.

Why do u suggest not sticking to it long term? What would you change, i'm more than willing to try something new!

NATURAL-1987
04-02-2010, 12:36 PM
What was your weight before you started dieting for your last show?
I would personally just make sure I am eating enough protein and forget about counting the rest for a while. You just competed and dieted for how long bro? Ride out the rebound and fast metabolism by throwing down some junk. Then when your 10lbs short of where you want your off-season weight to be,easy into an off-season structured diet. Even with the off-season structured diet I recommend 2 cheat meals/week spaced out as evenly as possible. I don't train wednesday or sunday so I preffer cheat meals wednesday around 2:00pm and saturday night around 8pm. The wednesday is usually something respectable because I want to feel ok to train next day...something like pasta and greek salad, 1 normal size piece of dessert. Then saturday night is usually something like 16 piece(large pizza) and chocolate fudge. I should also note that when I get to a desired off-season weight where I dont want to get heavier I cut the cheat meal down to saturday night only. Hope this helps and enjoy your off-season bro! Mine starts 1 week from monday! :)

esgibson
04-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Here's what I have done in the past. Unfortunitly, have gained alot of BF when i've bulked up like this:

Meal 1: TrueMass Protein Shake

Meal 2: 8oz chicken w/bbq sauce, 12oz potato (OR 1 cup white rice) w/ cheese and I cant believe its not butter

Meal 3: Same as meal 2

Meal 4: Truemass Protein Shake (Post-Workout)

Meal 5: Usually McDonald Cheeseburgers w/fries OR a bunch of Sushi

Meal 6: 8oz steak w/sauce and 12oz sweet potato

As you can see, waaay more carbs than what I am trying right now. I wanted to change the diet to mod fat, mod carb because i think i'm carb sensitive. I REALLY want to keep the bodyfat under control this time. I'm natural and have Deadlifted over 600lbs, Benched over 400lbs, and squated over 500lbs in previous years but was FAT!!!

Oh and FYI, i defenitly will be eating cheat meals this next offseason; prob 3-4 per week.

Why do u suggest not sticking to it long term? What would you change, i'm more than willing to try something new!

i personally don't believe that making a set offseason diet is the way to go. expectially if ur tryin to grow and keep bf levels under control. i got waaaay to heavy in my first couple of offseasons and this time i basically just ate cleaner and played with my calories. it's a good idea to make a set one as a starting point but as ur offseason progresses and ur lean mass increases ur metabolism is gonna start goin crazy..atleast more than u were at the begining. set something to start and then play with it a little..if ur gaining more than a pound or two every week or so..prolly gettin fat..use the mirror too..if u really think ur gaining muscle and not fat..keep doin it but be honest with urself the more food/calories u can consume without gettin fat the better...i usually only cheat 2 times a week in the offseason now because if i cheat more i get too fat..everybody is different tho

jjjohns_10
04-02-2010, 12:54 PM
What was your weight before you started dieting for your last show?
I would personally just make sure I am eating enough protein and forget about counting the rest for a while. You just competed and dieted for how long bro? Ride out the rebound and fast metabolism by throwing down some junk. Then when your 10lbs short of where you want your off-season weight to be,easy into an off-season structured diet. Even with the off-season structured diet I recommend 2 cheat meals/week spaced out as evenly as possible. I don't train wednesday or sunday so I preffer cheat meals wednesday around 2:00pm and saturday night around 8pm. The wednesday is usually something respectable because I want to feel ok to train next day...something like pasta and greek salad, 1 normal size piece of dessert. Then saturday night is usually something like 16 piece(large pizza) and chocolate fudge. I should also note that when I get to a desired off-season weight where I dont want to get heavier I cut the cheat meal down to saturday night only. Hope this helps and enjoy your off-season bro! Mine starts 1 week from monday! :)

Hey bro! I weighed bout 240-45lbs before dieting this year. Did keto diet for 17 weeks and came in pretty damn dialed; just put up a back double on my avi so ya'll can see. On contest day I was 198lbs and got hydrostatically weighed @4.7% BF.

I've been eatin TONS of crap this last week btw haha, like i'm talkin alot. I've been feelin like shit too cause i've been eatint so much. In the past, I haven't had structed offseasons and i think thats my prob. i'm a big believer in having cheat meals in the offseason but i think my problem is eating too many carlories and it turns into a good amount of bf.

powergraham
04-02-2010, 12:55 PM
i personally don't believe that making a set offseason diet is the way to go. expectially if ur tryin to grow and keep bf levels under control. i got waaaay to heavy in my first couple of offseasons and this time i basically just ate cleaner and played with my calories. it's a good idea to make a set one as a starting point but as ur offseason progresses and ur lean mass increases ur metabolism is gonna start goin crazy..atleast more than u were at the begining. set something to start and then play with it a little..if ur gaining more than a pound or two every week or so..prolly gettin fat..use the mirror too..if u really think ur gaining muscle and not fat..keep doin it but be honest with urself the more food/calories u can consume without gettin fat the better...i usually only cheat 2 times a week in the offseason now because if i cheat more i get too fat..everybody is different tho

I agree with this pretty much. You've just spent over a QUARTER of your year dieting, do you really want to be falling yet another diet ?

What I'd do is set out what you want your macros to be, how much protein, carbs and fats. After that, I wouldn't worry a whole bunch. Obviously your not going to replace all your good nutrition with like, sweets and shit, so you don't need to be super strict. Watch your waistline and watch the mirror, as for me, and also being natural, those are more important in the off season than your diet. You don't need to be as strict, but your hardly going to fly off the handle either.

How many more calories more than your on season diet is that ? Where are those calories coming from ?

jjjohns_10
04-02-2010, 01:03 PM
I agree with this pretty much. You've just spent over a QUARTER of your year dieting, do you really want to be falling yet another diet ?

What I'd do is set out what you want your macros to be, how much protein, carbs and fats. After that, I wouldn't worry a whole bunch. Obviously your not going to replace all your good nutrition with like, sweets and shit, so you don't need to be super strict. Watch your waistline and watch the mirror, as for me, and also being natural, those are more important in the off season than your diet. You don't need to be as strict, but your hardly going to fly off the handle either.

How many more calories more than your on season diet is that ? Where are those calories coming from ?

The diet i have listed above is about 3500-3700 calories. I started my precontest diet @3000, and never dropped lower than 2500 per day using Dave's keto diet.

Here's the macros for the diet above:

Pro: 335g
Carbs: 250g
Fats: 126g
Cals: 3574 (on a cheat day, this will be above 4000)

The reason I want to try a more structured diet this offseason is due to the fact that in the past, i've tried the more 'layed back' offseason diet and i get fat; hasn't worked too well for me. It sounds weird, but I LIKE having a structured diet haha, it makes me feel better mentally and physically (and I DO eat multiple cheat meals per week in the offseason, can't count those out).

NATURAL-1987
04-02-2010, 03:15 PM
I get what your saying about feeling like garbage. I meant dont worry about measuring anything and eat what you feel like but make sure your reaching your protein requirements. If you want fruit with your oatmeal eat it. If you want butter on your potato have it. If you want bbq sauce, use it.When you want to cheat, then cheat. Kind of make more sense now?

AVBG
04-02-2010, 05:22 PM

I was coming from the angle that many people post up diets that they'd like to think they can do when they are not used to the discipline that is required.. To do an offseason like you planned is not too different from a pre-contest diet regarding the factors that it takes for it to be successful and you not "spinning your wheels".. But you have posted a previous diet and this one is not that bigger jump, especially if you take the mental health breaks (cheat meals)..

In regards to the second point, on the contrary I would suggest a diet like you originally outlined, especially how you have defined your goals in mind (keeping fat down) prior to undertaking the diet.

Good work.

jjjohns_10
04-02-2010, 05:55 PM
I was coming from the angle that many people post up diets that they'd like to think they can do when they are not used to the discipline that is required.. To do an offseason like you planned is not too different from a pre-contest diet regarding the factors that it takes for it to be successful and you not "spinning your wheels".. But you have posted a previous diet and this one is not that bigger jump, especially if you take the mental health breaks (cheat meals)..

In regards to the second point, on the contrary I would suggest a diet like you originally outlined, especially how you have defined your goals in mind (keeping fat down) prior to undertaking the diet.

Good work.

Cool, thx for the input. I think its gonna work out well with my body type, especially being a natural athlete. Any other tips i'm more than willing to try. Train Hard!

jjjohns_10
04-02-2010, 06:02 PM
I get what your saying about feeling like garbage. I meant dont worry about measuring anything and eat what you feel like but make sure your reaching your protein requirements. If you want fruit with your oatmeal eat it. If you want butter on your potato have it. If you want bbq sauce, use it.When you want to cheat, then cheat. Kind of make more sense now?

I gotcha, i do do those thing you mentioned. Like today I had extra cheese today cause I wanted it. Had bbq sauce on my chicken, put some coffeemate in my coffee this morning..well... cause it sounded good! That's the good stuff!!!

I still measure/weigh my food when i'm at home just to be sure. That way in a few months if things aren't looking right, i'll know definitively what to change in real numbers; i'm kinda Type A if you didn't notice LOL!

NATURAL-1987
04-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Right,right. Basically after a show I throw down any protein I want(knowing I am getting enough) and then besides that its pretty much pastas,cheeses,wraps,fruits,salads with dressing, lasagna, pancakes,waffles,protein bars, until I'm 15lbs away from where I will let myself get to. Then I ease into it somewhat and put the last 10lbs kinda thing on structured(measuring) but still have the 2 planned cheat meals like I mentioned above. Then eventually down to one.

jjjohns_10
04-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Anybody else?????

MusclesMarinara
04-03-2010, 07:13 PM
AVBG and Natural-1987 know their shit, you cant go wrong with their advice. theyve helped me plenty.

the only thing i can tell u is enjoy the offseason, i know im going to after this show

jjjohns_10
04-04-2010, 03:55 AM
AVBG and Natural-1987 know their shit, you cant go wrong with their advice. theyve helped me plenty.

the only thing i can tell u is enjoy the offseason, i know im going to after this show

HaHa, i've defenitly been enjoying it. I haven't been as strict as I've led on to be. Just got home from a celebration at the bar; few drinks, burger and fries, it was a good time! I guess what i was trying to figure out is what i should do a MAJORITY of the time, not 100% everyday no exceptions.

AVBG
04-04-2010, 04:00 AM
HaHa, i've defenitly been enjoying it. I haven't been as strict as I've led on to be. Just got home from a celebration at the bar; few drinks, burger and fries, it was a good time! I guess what i was trying to figure out is what i should do a MAJORITY of the time, not 100% everyday no exceptions.

That's what I was saying in my earlier posts, the diet isn't going to be easy to follow even if it's in excess in calories.. Getting the regular structured meals in particularly in the off season is THE challenge.

jjjohns_10
04-04-2010, 11:35 AM
That's what I was saying in my earlier posts, the diet isn't going to be easy to follow even if it's in excess in calories.. Getting the regular structured meals in particularly in the off season is THE challenge.

Word buddy :)

rex
04-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Looks good. I am assuming you are somewhat insulin resistant due to the higher fat/lower carbs?