PDA

View Full Version : How did you get your bicep to peak? Hints for other trying to do this!

GWHH
04-03-2010, 10:15 AM
I've got the size I finally want on my arms (for now) 17 inches dead cold. But now I want to get some tall biceps peaks going. What type of exercise, weight levels, number of reps, etc. Did you use to get your bicep built up.

Currently, I am using some this type of exercise, to build size. But i have been doing the same type of exercise off this chart here, but i been doing low reps and high weight in order to gain peak size. And its not really working. This workout chart was orginally desgin to get one lean and add muscle works great for that, the middle set is a superset. My trainer, said try this with low weight and high weight and see what happen. Not much is happening. Any hints, suggestions, etc. Would be great on this subject.

Supersetting on middle set
-Close Grip Bench: 12/10/12
–with E-Z bar Curls: 12/10/12
-Overhead Dumbbell Extention: 12/10/12
–with Incline Curls/ bench at 60 degrees: 12/10/12
-Skullcrushers: 12/10/12
–with Concentration Curls: 12/10/12
- Hammer Curls: 2 sets of 15
-Reverse Grip pushdowns: 2 sets of 15

Thanks All.

Curt James
04-03-2010, 10:38 AM
I've got the size I finally want on my arms (for now) 17 inches dead cold. But now I want to get some tall biceps peaks going. What type of exercise, weight levels, number of reps, etc. Did you use to get your bicep built up.

Currently, I am using some this type of exercise, to build size. But i have been doing the same type of exercise off this chart here, but i been doing low reps and high weight in order to gain peak size. And its not really working. This workout chart was orginally desgin to get one lean and add muscle works great for that, the middle set is a superset. My trainer, said try this with low weight and high weight and see what happen. Not much is happening. Any hints, suggestions, etc. Would be great on this subject.

Supersetting on middle set
-Close Grip Bench: 12/10/12
–with E-Z bar Curls: 12/10/12
-Overhead Dumbbell Extention: 12/10/12
–with Incline Curls/ bench at 60 degrees: 12/10/12
-Skullcrushers: 12/10/12
–with Concentration Curls: 12/10/12
- Hammer Curls: 2 sets of 15
-Reverse Grip pushdowns: 2 sets of 15

Thanks All.

Arnold, if I'm not mistaken, recommended concentration curls for biceps peak, but then even he only had one peaked biceps. ;)

I'll repeat my comment from your other thread, fwiw.

It's a commonly held belief that concentration curls will increase the peak on a person's biceps, however it's also been noted that peak or the shape of an individual muscle is predetermined and that no amount of exercise will turn a flat biceps into a crazy peak.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/curt_james/Rx/levronvsrobinson-1.jpg

And, look! I brought along my own endorsement! :)

^^x2

Best wishes for success in your peaking efforts. What's your percentage of body fat look like? If you're carrying some added fat then the natural peak you already possess might be being blurred or covered up by that extra layer. If you're already relatively lean then I'm not sure what to suggest.

I can say you're in the right place for experienced advice. :beerbang:

esplendido
04-03-2010, 11:14 AM
You cannot create what you don't already have the potential for. The shape of your biceps at max size is genetically determined. That said...the bigger and more mature your biceps get, the higher the peak (whatever shaped peak you have).

Shorter-armed men usually seem to have potential for higher peaks, Arnold aside. And as much as you might want a peaked arm, real arm size and girth comes from the triceps...much neglected by many bbers. A deep sweep coming from thick tri's make an arm look huge, regardless of biceps peak.

Baldiewonkanobi
04-03-2010, 01:23 PM
A deep sweep coming from thick tri's make an arm look huge, regardless of biceps peak.

Ahmen.

And that is MY dilema. And Lord knows I have been working on this for 58 years!!!

Baldie

Mac
04-03-2010, 01:31 PM
I never did anything special for a peak, it was just there.

I have a high insertion point of the bicep which contributes a lot.

bodyhard
04-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Hate to bust your bubble but either you have it or you don't, there is no other way around it.

I have short biceps with high peaks, I wish I had a longer bicep but it will never happen you can not change what you have.

What you could do is make them bigger.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-03-2010, 02:38 PM
I never did anything special for a peak, it was just there.

I have a high insertion point of the bicep which contributes a lot.
Great peak! and yep. guys with higher insertions tend to get more peak- Robby, Franco, etc, while those with longer muscles dont -Sergio,Scott, Ferrigno. Arnold was a mutant - had some of each...

Wiry Pyruvity
04-03-2010, 02:48 PM
some have argued that a well-developed brachialis muscle will 'raise' the biceps head to add a sort of peak.

Baldiewonkanobi
04-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Mr. No Abs, Boyer Coe, had the most visable split bi of all time...he would show the arms as if they were solid and singular and then *POP* he would split the suckers to the roar of the audience....

http://www.boyercoe.net/

Baldie

joedemarco
04-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Mr. No Abs, Boyer Coe, had the most visable split bi of all time...he would show the arms as if they were solid and singular and then *POP* he would split the suckers to the roar of the audience....

Baldie

Great split in biceps. You can always improve your own biceps, but in regards to peaks/splits like Boyer or Robby, it's just plain genetics. You either have it or you don't.

Ninja Loco
04-03-2010, 08:45 PM
I did 10 sets of 100 mini, half inch pumps with a 25 pound dumbbell for three months and mine peaked.

Curt James
04-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Great peak! and yep. guys with higher insertions tend to get more peak- Robby, Franco, etc, while those with longer muscles dont -Sergio,Scott, Ferrigno. Arnold was a mutant - had some of each...

Truth. :) A flatter huge biceps and a peaked huge biceps!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/curt_james/Arnold/as.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/curt_james/Arnold/as2.jpg

Curt James
04-03-2010, 08:58 PM

Baldie

Showing that Mother Nature can curse and bless the same individual.

Boyer was one I searched images for when I put together the flat versus peaked jpeg. Found Robby's pic and used his image instead. Albert Beckles was another owner of incredibly peaked biceps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/curt_james/Rx/albertbeckles.jpg

And a discussion of insertions related to peak has to include at least one pic of Sergio Oliva!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/curt_james/Rx/sergiobiceps.jpg

thesamewords
04-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Damn curt, that pic of Sergio is awesome, never seen before.

Curt James
04-03-2010, 09:46 PM
That appears in Ellington Darden's original "Nautilus" book. Or that's where I saw it first. Phenomenal. His biceps tendon inserts at his freaking wrist. lol :D

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/author/Darden,%20Ellington

The cover doesn't appear and I can't be sure which one is the right one, but Darden has a ton of books and they're all worth a look, imo.

Youngguns
04-03-2010, 10:03 PM
You cannot create what you don't already have the potential for. The shape of your biceps at max size is genetically determined. That said...the bigger and more mature your biceps get, the higher the peak (whatever shaped peak you have).

Shorter-armed men usually seem to have potential for higher peaks, Arnold aside. And as much as you might want a peaked arm, real arm size and girth comes from the triceps...much neglected by many bbers. A deep sweep coming from thick tri's make an arm look huge, regardless of biceps peak.I disagree with the last part, for example Ronnie Coleman was 75% bicep, same with my friend, huge arms but small tris.

Hate to bust your bubble but either you have it or you don't, there is no other way around it.

I have short biceps with high peaks, I wish I had a longer bicep but it will never happen you can not change what you have.

What you could do is make them bigger.Shorter bis are better. Why would you want full bis? They ONLY look better relaxed.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-03-2010, 10:14 PM
I disagree with the last part, for example Ronnie Coleman was 75% bicep, same with my friend, huge arms but small tris.

Shorter bis are better. Why would you want full bis? They ONLY look better relaxed. WHY? take a look at the Sergio pic above again....

Youngguns
04-03-2010, 10:16 PM
The guy above looks better IMO.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-03-2010, 10:19 PM
The best biceps in history- versus the best bodybuilder ever... Beckles is good but no way was he better than Sergio. Go back and learn Padawon..

Sledge
04-04-2010, 01:50 AM
Yeah Valentino has one peaked and one not so peaked too. Genetics is a bitch.:)

esplendido
04-04-2010, 02:09 AM
yeah valentino has one peaked and one not so peaked too. Genetics is a bitch.:)

roflmao!!!!

axioma
04-05-2010, 08:21 AM
I agree with the genetics aspect for the most part, however if you are lean and nearing contest, you can increase the "illusion" of peak through muscle control and certain exercises, different types of concentration curls (I like to do the over the end of an incline bench with the arm completely stretched out. I hope I can make some changes, as I have a torn biceps/brachii tendon in my left arm which is pretty noticable in my pics. Working very hard (super painful) to lengthen that muscle and drive blood into that area to get some growth. Doing hammer grip concentration curls. All that said, the freaky, gnarled looking biceps is from moms and pops.

axioma
04-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Great split in biceps. You can always improve your own biceps, but in regards to peaks/splits like Boyer or Robby, it's just plain genetics. You either have it or you don't.

Sort of agree, but I think the "split" is more about muscle control. Not talking about the "columbu chest split" which was more about seperation, but longitudinal split in a bicep is something that you can coax to an extent.

bodyhard
04-05-2010, 09:54 AM
I agree with the genetics aspect for the most part, however if you are lean and nearing contest, you can increase the "illusion" of peak through muscle control and certain exercises, different types of concentration curls (I like to do the over the end of an incline bench with the arm completely stretched out. I hope I can make some changes, as I have a torn biceps/brachii tendon in my left arm which is pretty noticable in my pics. Working very hard (super painful) to lengthen that muscle and drive blood into that area to get some growth. Doing hammer grip concentration curls. All that said, the freaky, gnarled looking biceps is from moms and pops.

I agree bodybuilding in itself is an illusion, dropping bodyfat also improves the appearance of a muscle and although it might be smaller do the lost of BF, it will "appear" larger.

Also working the brachialis and the triceps will help in getting the bicep to appear larger with a higher peak.

browny133
04-05-2010, 05:35 PM
i agree with the above..its genetics unfortunately..just make them as big as you can.i've had a biceps injury for 2yrs or so now so dont train them much but keep up very heavy back work and im 19'' cold and with small wrists they look big.i've just started doing cheat curls lately to miss out the lower part of the exercise which gives me pain and concentrate on the negative.(i.'ve been training a long time and dont recomend cheats if you're a beginner.)...so if you aint got shape,fuck it and get big, stretch that t-shirt at the seams ;-)