PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics and protein powder

JR
04-13-2010, 02:16 AM
Some antibiotics (e.g., doxycycline) are not supposed to be taken with dairy products because dairy can inhibit absorption. Is this also true of protein powder (whey or casein)? In other words, does whey or casein contain the factor that inhibits absorption of these antibiotics, or is something else in milk products responsible? If whey and casein do not inhibit absorption, can you take these milk-sensitive antibiotics with protein powder?

MrOXY
04-13-2010, 06:07 AM
im dying rite now on my 7th week of high dose anti biotic and it fuked up my appatite my training my fuking cycle so far been fuked during this use but im almost done this week and back 2 normal functioning .... i take em on empty stomach no dairy and protien hr and a half frm b4 and after consumtion

Bryan Hildebrand
04-13-2010, 10:46 AM
depends on the antibiotic also. some suggest to take with dairy to ease acid prodctuion.

JR
04-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks guys. I am not on any antibiotics now (fortunately), but I was talking about this with a friend at the gym. I was just thinking that if you are bulking and couldn't take protein shakes, it would suck.

all i know is when i was antibiotics last week, i pretty much threw up every protein shake i drank. Stomach was killing me and i had no appetite. Some antibiotics kill all the bacteria in your stomach, which is why you can have trouble eating. If you ever have to take them again, adding yogurt to every meal (which has a lot of active bacteria in it) can help a lot (assuming the antibiotic is not one of the kinds that can't be taken with dairy!)

MrOXY
04-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Some antibiotics kill all the bacteria in your stomach, which is why you can have trouble eating. If you ever have to take them again, adding yogurt to every meal (which has a lot of active bacteria in it) can help a lot (assuming the antibiotic is not one of the kinds that can't be taken with dairy!)

this is exactly why im supplementing with probiotics and acidophilis ove rthe counter to help replenish the helthy bacteria in my intestines frm antii boitic use ..made a difference while i was using it consistantly but back to fuked up state once i missed a few days of use