PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with NGA Pro Benjamin Sonnier

Robyn Balliet
04-13-2010, 02:17 PM
http://http://www.naturalfreakworld.com/content.php?51-EFX-Board-Rep-Supplement-User-bigben-Goes-Pro59237

Jason Newman
04-14-2010, 12:23 AM
nice, love the look of the natty guys reminds me why i dont juice ;)

AVBG
04-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Does anyone know if he posts here? I'd like to get a thread for him up

kglic1
04-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Ben is awesome, I talked to him backstage at the Can/Am, nothing but respect for this guy, again congratulations Ben

bgben3
04-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Thank you guys, I'm new to RX muscle. I didn't even know that this was posted here. Thank you Robyn.

NATURAL-1987
04-15-2010, 12:13 AM
Yo Ben, I spoke with you and your girl before finals in the hallway downstairs. Guess you won't need to do the May 15th now eh? Congrats.

bgben3
04-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Yo Ben, I spoke with you and your girl before finals in the hallway downstairs. Guess you won't need to do the May 15th now eh? Congrats.

Thanks bro, are you going to do the May 15th show?

NATURAL-1987
04-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Thanks bro, are you going to do the May 15th show?
Unfortunately I NEED to handle some things outside of the bodybuilding world right now and am probably taking a full year before I hit the stage again...What about you? Jumpin right in or waiting a bit?

AVBG
04-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Thank you guys, I'm new to RX muscle. I didn't even know that this was posted here. Thank you Robyn.

Welcome Ben. It's a good membership we have here that makes it an interesting board. Please feel free to participate and contribute.

Curt James
04-20-2010, 11:41 PM
nice, love the look of the natty guys reminds me why i dont juice ;)

Congrats to the new pro!

Reminds me of Don "The Ripper" Ross in that shot. :bowdown:

MsGuns
04-21-2010, 12:15 AM
CONGRATS Ben! Welcome to the Natty forum!

bgben3
04-21-2010, 06:25 AM
Unfortunately I NEED to handle some things outside of the bodybuilding world right now and am probably taking a full year before I hit the stage again...What about you? Jumpin right in or waiting a bit?

I think I'm gonna do my 1st pro show in St. Louis in July. It gives me a couple weeks to enjoy food again before I have to hit the diet hard.

bgben3
04-21-2010, 06:27 AM
Thank you MsGuns and Curt

AVBG
04-21-2010, 06:30 AM
Hey Ben, if you're keen we can convert this thread to a q&a kinda blog?

bgben3
04-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Yes I'm cool with that. I'll start checking it daily.

MsGuns
04-21-2010, 09:50 PM
Ben, what will be your Pro debut?

NATURAL-1987
04-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Ben, what will be your Pro debut?
Post #12 :)

MsGuns
04-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Post #12 :)

ooops I saw the thx MsGuns but missed that...

bgben3
04-22-2010, 04:54 PM
ooops I saw the thx MsGuns but missed that...

As I am new to the Pro ranks, I'm not sure what's a good show for me to start with. I picked St. Louis, for a couple reasons. 1. I think its a smaller show. I don't want to start off too big and get slaughtered. lol. 2. I was planning on going home in July to Louisiana to visit family. Since St. Louis is at the same time and on the way, I figured I'd make a road trip out of it. Plus what better way to celebrate my 1st Pro Show than some good old home cooking Cajun food.

bgben3
04-22-2010, 05:11 PM
I don't have many pics from the show. The quality wasn't the greatest but here is a couple. 1st pic was the pose down for the overall. 2nd is me getting my Pro Card 3rd backstage getting ready to celebrate

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af298/bgben3/kelly023.jpg

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af298/bgben3/kelly025.jpg

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af298/bgben3/kelly029.jpg

bhman6
04-22-2010, 06:22 PM
great quads...what's your routine look like?

MsGuns
04-22-2010, 06:26 PM
As I am new to the Pro ranks, I'm not sure what's a good show for me to start with. I picked St. Louis, for a couple reasons. 1. I think its a smaller show. I don't want to start off too big and get slaughtered. lol. 2. I was planning on going home in July to Louisiana to visit family. Since St. Louis is at the same time and on the way, I figured I'd make a road trip out of it. Plus what better way to celebrate my 1st Pro Show than some good old home cooking Cajun food.

Sounds good to me...
I dont know what the good shows are anymore either...
I havent done a NGA show in 2 yrs...
As a NGA Pro you can also compete w/ the IFPA. Check them out...www.ifpapro.com
They have some good shows....the BIGGEST one is Oct 23rd this yr. LAst yr the women had 2 classes- 16-18 women...

IL WNBF Pro
04-22-2010, 06:48 PM
great quads...what's your routine look like?

Was just going to ask that

MusclesMarinara
04-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Was just going to ask that

x3 those legs are insane!

also i know its genetic but do u do anything extra for vascularity?

bgben3
04-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Sounds good to me...
As a NGA Pro you can also compete w/ the IFPA. Check them out...www.ifpapro.com (http://www.ifpapro.com)
They have some good shows....the BIGGEST one is Oct 23rd this yr. LAst yr the women had 2 classes- 16-18 women...

The show I'm planning on doing in July is an IFPA show.

bgben3
04-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks guys, my legs are definitely my strong point. I could work on my hams and my gluts. They aren't bad, they just don't get as lean as my quads.

bgben3
04-22-2010, 09:09 PM
x3 those legs are insane!

also i know its genetic but do u do anything extra for vascularity?

No I don't do anything special for vascularity. Just your normal sugar intake before hitting the stage. Its genetics, lucky I guess.

turkish1530
04-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Looking great man and congrats on earning ur pro card! Best of luck at ur 1st pro show.

Sounds good to me...
As a NGA Pro you can also compete w/ the IFPA. Check them out...www.ifpapro.com (http://www.ifpapro.com)

I did not know that an NGA Pro can compete in the IFPA.....natural bodybuilding is too confusing

bgben3
04-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Looking great man and congrats on earning ur pro card! Best of luck at ur 1st pro show.

I did not know that an NGA Pro can compete in the IFPA.....natural bodybuilding is too confusing

Thanks bro, I was just looking at your pics on your thread the other day, you look great. I didn't have time to look through all your Q@A so you may have answered this already. How many pro shows have you done? Were they big shows? How did you do? I'm a little nervous to step on stage with the pros. lol. I was looking at that Moody guy. Mr Natural Universe I think. Wow he is huge. I'd love to get on stage next to him one day.
Also guys, no disrespect to Moody or anyone else out there. I new to this stuff and don't really know who all the Natural Pros are. I'm doing my homework and trying to learn.

jked
04-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Ben, congrats on the pro card. I met and chatted with you backstage and competed against you in the light heavies, finishing behind you.

I have some pics that I can post in here of our class if you'd like.

bgben3
04-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Ben, congrats on the pro card. I met and chatted with you backstage and competed against you in the light heavies, finishing behind you.

I have some pics that I can post in here of our class if you'd like.

Thanks bro, Yes post them up. Most of the pics i got of the the show didn't turn out. My family was too excited to take pics. G/F only took 3 pics. She said she was so nervous the whole time she forgot about pictures.lol.

Jaredmus
04-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Ben
Saw you backstage man, i was helping kyle glickman or on these boards kglic with his dream tan and hot stuff, anyway great job man, just wondering if you can tell me what a typical leg day looks like for you?
sets exercies etc. thanks man keep up the good work
Efx products are real good btw, i ran a sponsored log for them love the nytic pro

Macey Leigh
04-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Congrats on the pro card Ben! Well deserved.
All the best,
Macey

bgben3
04-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Ben
Saw you backstage man, i was helping kyle glickman or on these boards kglic with his dream tan and hot stuff, anyway great job man, just wondering if you can tell me what a typical leg day looks like for you?
sets exercies etc. thanks man keep up the good work
Efx products are real good btw, i ran a sponsored log for them love the nytic pro

Yeah, I remember seeing you back there. You guys had a big group of people. Why didn't you compete in that show? Yes, I love the EFX supplements. I've been having amazing results, the best gains I've ever had. A typical leg work out. Well, honestly there is no typical workout for me. I'm a believer in muscle confusion to maximize growth. I've been doing this P/RR/S program its Power Rep Range Shock by Eric Broser. So one week all exercises are Power the next week high reps and the next week is super sets and drop sets. I always try to change up my workouts, so what ever I hit for legs today next week I try not to do the same exercises. So lets pick legs Power week

Squats 2 warm ups then 4 sets 8/8/6/6 reps
Leg press 4 sets 10/8/6/6
extensions 4 sets 8/8/8/6
lunges 3 or 4 sets 10 to 8 reps depending on how exhausted I am.
then I hit calves
Seated calve extensions machine 4 to 5 sets
standing calve raises 4 to 5 sets

And the following week I would change it all up.

bgben3
04-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Congrats on the pro card Ben! Well deserved.
All the best,
Macey

Thank you Macy, how have you been?

Macey Leigh
04-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Thank you Macy, how have you been?

Hanging tough!! :) sent you PM.

jked
04-29-2010, 09:29 PM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee159/mspreter/IMG_3097.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee159/mspreter/IMG_3096.jpg

I was the tall guy right next to you. Let me look, I think I have a couple more, maybe a little closer up.

jked
04-29-2010, 09:33 PM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee159/mspreter/IMG_3109.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee159/mspreter/IMG_3110.jpg

Jaredmus
04-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I remember seeing you back there. You guys had a big group of people. Why didn't you compete in that show? Yes, I love the EFX supplements. I've been having amazing results, the best gains I've ever had. A typical leg work out. Well, honestly there is no typical workout for me. I'm a believer in muscle confusion to maximize growth. I've been doing this P/RR/S program its Power Rep Range Shock by Eric Broser. So one week all exercises are Power the next week high reps and the next week is super sets and drop sets. I always try to change up my workouts, so what ever I hit for legs today next week I try not to do the same exercises. So lets pick legs Power week

Squats 2 warm ups then 4 sets 8/8/6/6 reps
Leg press 4 sets 10/8/6/6
extensions 4 sets 8/8/8/6
lunges 3 or 4 sets 10 to 8 reps depending on how exhausted I am.
then I hit calves
Seated calve extensions machine 4 to 5 sets
standing calve raises 4 to 5 sets

And the following week I would change it all up.

thanks yeah, i should have probally done the show, but the diet and everything was effecting my head/relationship with my gf and friends, and school, you know the deal. But yeah Its great that we have a big group and bobby the lightweight one his pro card at the northeast so that was huge for us, and idk if you remember my buddy lester who came in 3rd in the heavies he was the best poser? and the guy doing his color and backstage stuff kev, won the lightweights at the show i did 3 weeks before. so were all really dedicated to it and plan on bring home lots of 1st place hardware next year. anyway heres my posing routine from my show can you tell me how i look in your opinon? I mean i know my routine sucked and i didnt hold the poses but the crowd was into the fast paced song. Thanks ben
YouTube- Jared Petrassi Body Builder March 20th Show

bgben3
05-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks Jked for the pics. Yes I remember you. It was a good show. Are you going to do anymore shows this year?

bgben3
05-03-2010, 10:18 PM
thanks yeah, i should have probally done the show, but the diet and everything was effecting my head/relationship with my gf and friends, and school, you know the deal. But yeah Its great that we have a big group and bobby the lightweight one his pro card at the northeast so that was huge for us, and idk if you remember my buddy lester who came in 3rd in the heavies he was the best poser? and the guy doing his color and backstage stuff kev, won the lightweights at the show i did 3 weeks before. so were all really dedicated to it and plan on bring home lots of 1st place hardware next year. anyway heres my posing routine from my show can you tell me how i look in your opinon? I mean i know my routine sucked and i didnt hold the poses but the crowd was into the fast paced song. Thanks ben
YouTube- Jared Petrassi Body Builder March 20th Show (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV-iMiw0Vug)

I just watched your routine. You have a great Lat spread. That is one of my weakest points. I'm not one to judge on a routine cause mine can use a lot of work as well. But, like you already mentioned, slow the posing down. Yes, the crowd likes the fast music. I like to pose to fast music also. I would just slow the posing down, hold the poses longer. Overall I think you did pretty good, you worked the whole stage and you looked confident. Those 2 things I think are key to a good routine.

jked
05-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks Jked for the pics. Yes I remember you. It was a good show. Are you going to do anymore shows this year?

Not a problem at all. I was also at a loss for a ton of good pics. It was a good show though. I did the Natural Northeast here in Rochester on April 24th. It went pretty well. I came in perhaps a little tighter and definitely fuller as I think I had a better peak weak.

bgben3
05-06-2010, 06:26 AM
Not a problem at all. I was also at a loss for a ton of good pics. It was a good show though. I did the Natural Northeast here in Rochester on April 24th. It went pretty well. I came in perhaps a little tighter and definitely fuller as I think I had a better peak weak.

How did you place at the Natural Northeaster? Doing anymore shows for the year?

jked
05-06-2010, 09:03 PM
How did you place at the Natural Northeaster? Doing anymore shows for the year?

Same as at the Can/Am. I wasn't entirely happy with that but it was an EXTREMELY tough field. Every single competitor in the class was tough so it was a hard earned placing. I'm done for the season now.

Time to really lift big and put on some size. I'm new to the sport and not really had any time doing a proper "bulk". I was 270 lbs a few years ago and I've pretty much always been cutting. Next time I'm planning to bring an entirely different and improved package to the stage!

turkish1530
05-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Beast pictures you got pro! Your legs are phenomal and your conditioning is great. Best of luck and cool to see your signed with the natural freaks!

bgben3
05-07-2010, 06:26 AM
Beast pictures you got pro! Your legs are phenomal and your conditioning is great. Best of luck and cool to see your signed with the natural freaks!

Thanks, you look great yourself.

bgben3
05-08-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm heading down to the Michigan State Championships this evening. To watch a couple buddies of mine compete. Its not a tested show but I like to support my local fellow bodybuilders, because thats where it all started for me and I had a lot of friends and local supporters. Plus there is nothing more motivating for me than to see everyones hard work they've put in and see them display it on stage. Monday starts my diet for my 1st Pro Show I plan on doing in July. This will help get my head in the game, because I've really been enjoying food this last couple weeks.

bgben3
06-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Just thought I'd give a little update. I am halfway through my diet for my 1st Pro competition. I'm right on track with leaning up. I have about 7 lbs to go. Well that would put me where I was when I won my Pro card. I think my conditioning was almost perfect. I might try to come in a pound or 2 leaner this time around. 4 weeks to go and extremely motivated. My workouts have been outstanding, and I still have a lot of strength and energy considering where I'm at with my diet. St Louis here I come. I will be bringing my best package to the stage.

Matt Cena
06-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Best of Luck in St. Louis and your Pro Debut. You have a great physique and I wish you the best.

bgben3
06-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks bro, the support is greatly appreciated. I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes.

THEVMAN
07-01-2010, 05:54 PM
much respect man - all the best and congrats

bgben3
07-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Just wanting to give a quick update. I am 6 days out and I feel I am right where I need to be. I feel great, and looking lean. All I need to do now is carb up and dry out to come in on stage full and shredded. I am currently weighing 180.6 lbs. I'm not sure where I'll be once I dry out, but it doesn't really matter. I'm not trying to make any specific weight class. Its looking like there will be 12 pro's I will be going against. My goal is 1st place, but if someone comes out ahead of me it will be well deserved. I am bringing my best package to the stage and will not make it easy for anyone to come on top of me. St. Louis here I come.

bgben3
07-20-2010, 08:22 PM
So here is how my competition went. Over all it was a very good show, put together well and everything seem to run smoothly. For my 1st Pro Show, I got a respectable 3rd place. I'm happy with the out come. After sizing everyone up backstage I thought I had 2nd, but its hard to really judge yourself against them when you aren't seeing yourself side by side like the judges are seeing you. So I'm sure the judging was fair and well deserved. I didn't get many pics myself due to a crappy camera and sitting so far away from the stage. I'll try to see if I can find some online, I'd really like to see me in comparison to the 1st and 2nd place guy.
Here is something very positive for me. A couple days after the show I got an email on facebook from one of the judges. For the judge to go out of his way and find me on facebook then email me telling me from a judges view how I did. I don't know but to me thats a good thing. Anyways the email says that he had me at 2nd. Between me and the 2nd place guy it was very close. From the front I had him beat, from the back he may have had me beat his back was wider and his hamstrings were better. But over all he had me at 2nd. So that was very motivating to hear back from one of the judges and to hear his input. I already knew my weaknesses are my back and my hamstrings that just confirmed it for me. Well I guess I know what body parts I need to concentrate on. I did request them to mail me the score sheets and comments so I'm looking forward to see that and what the other judges had to say. As for the rest of my vacation in Louisiana it was outstanding and I eat so much good home cooked southern food. It was great.

fltallpaul
07-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Wow Congrats on placing so well at your first Pro Show. I take it the winner was pretty much in a class his own based on what you said. Do you know who it was?

Good luck with your off season work, sounds like back and hams, perhaps some deadlifts?

bgben3
07-22-2010, 08:01 PM
1st Place Carlos Renfro (NH) $1,000
2nd Place Rick Armstrong (MO) $500
3rd Place Benjamin Sonnier (MI) $250

Yes Carlos did look great. I figured he had me beat when I saw him back stage. But I didn't make it easy for them 2. I made them work for there winnings. I think I'm going to do another show in Nov. in Nashville. So my off season won't really start till after that. I do have about 4 more weeks before I need to get back on the diet so maybe I can improve my hams and back a little in that time.

NATURAL-1987
07-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Can you please tell us the name of the show and federation you just competed in and will be competing in the future. Thanks.

bgben3
07-23-2010, 04:08 PM
The show I just competed in on July 10th was the IFPA Natural Show me Mens Pro in St. Louis. I think the next one I'm going to do is the NGA Music City Pro Night of Champions & Pro Classic. It is on Nov. 6th. I haven't signed up for it yet, but this one is in the works.

bgben3
07-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Update on the IFPA Pro show I did in St. Louis

So I received the score sheets and comments from the judges. Just thought I'd share them with everyone. 2 of the 7 judges said I need a thicker back and better hamstrings. This is something I have known and have been working on improving. Going to keep working on them. 3 judges said I need to come in leaner. This is surprising to me. I've had many comments of how shredded I was. But hey the judges know best. Both my shows I've done this year I've come in about 3 or 4 lbs heavier than last year. So maybe it is true I could have been leaner, maybe I carbed up to much. I will def. come in tighter for the next show. And 2 judges didn't leave comments. Those were the negative comments.
On the positive side, 2 judges said my routine was great and timing was perfect with the music. 2 judges said my physique and symmetry was great in the symmetry round and in the mandatories. So, I'm loving the feed back from the judges. Negative and positive. I will take them in learn from them and come in better for my show in the Fall.

bgben3
07-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Here is a couple photos from the show. Not the best quality but its all I have

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af298/bgben3/kelly287.jpg

In the pic above the guy to my left is Carlos Renfro he took 1st
2 guys over to my right is Rick Armstrong he took 2nd

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af298/bgben3/kelly286.jpg

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af298/bgben3/kelly285.jpg

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af298/bgben3/kelly282.jpg

THEVMAN
08-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Can you tell us how you get such great tan color and a bit of a shine - is that 6 coats of Jan Tana and some Pam spray? Hot stuff? Any hints? - You look awesome

bgben3
08-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Can you tell us how you get such great tan color and a bit of a shine - is that 6 coats of Jan Tana and some Pam spray? Hot stuff? Any hints? - You look awesome

I've always done my tan myself, with the help of my g/f. Its odd that you ask this because, every show I have done so far, I have been asked how I got my tan so perfect. I don't know that I do anything special, I think the big mistake that most people make is too much oil. Anyways, I do the same exact thing every time. 4 coats of Pro Tan the night before no shower. Letting each coat dry for about 15 min before applying the next coat. Then 1st thing in the morning I use Dream Tan, Golden Brown color not the Red. Then when I'm back stage I usually have to touch up the Dream Tan due to it rubbing off on my clothes through out the day. After I touch it up, I use a little oil. Either Muscle Juice or Hot Stuff. The key is not too much oil. It will smear the Dream Tan if your not careful.

THEVMAN
08-13-2010, 08:36 PM
I've always done my tan myself, with the help of my g/f. Its odd that you ask this because, every show I have done so far, I have been asked how I got my tan so perfect. I don't know that I do anything special, I think the big mistake that most people make is too much oil. Anyways, I do the same exact thing every time. 4 coats of Pro Tan the night before no shower. Letting each coat dry for about 15 min before applying the next coat. Then 1st thing in the morning I use Dream Tan, Golden Brown color not the Red. Then when I'm back stage I usually have to touch up the Dream Tan due to it rubbing off on my clothes through out the day. After I touch it up, I use a little oil. Either Muscle Juice or Hot Stuff. The key is not too much oil. It will smear the Dream Tan if your not careful.

Thank you - it looks great - and yes - not too shiny

bgben3
08-23-2010, 08:21 PM
All the fun and games are over, its time to get focused and concentrate on my diet and next competition. Today is the official start date of my diet and contest prep. Weighed in this morning at 202, my goal is 175. 9 weeks out to my 1st show and 11 weeks out to my second show. Summer is almost over here in Michigan so, there shouldn't be any tempting weekends. Except for maybe Labor Day weekend. After that its smooth sailing all the way to the show date.

bgben3
08-24-2010, 07:05 PM
After winning my Pro Card earlier this year, my goals have changed. New goals as of early Spring was to compete in as many Pro Shows as I can and try to do my best to place and get my name out there and to be recognized. With one Pro show under my belt and 2 more on the way for the end of the year. I'm super excited.
On Oct. 23rd, I'm doing the Muscle Pharm IFPA Yorton Cup Pro Worlds. Now I know this is a really big show and the competitors look amazing from 2009. But I think with it being such a big show and having weight classes, I believe I can do well. Hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew with this show. The second show I'm going to do is Nov. 6th the NGA Tennessee Music City Nights of the Champions & Pro Classic. I'm very excited about both of these shows and really looking forward to them.

fltallpaul
08-25-2010, 01:23 PM
That's awesome your competing so much this year Ben. I look forward to seeing your results and hearing about your experiences with the two shows. I am keeping an eye out for shows to do in the future.

bgben3
08-28-2010, 12:32 PM
I just got word that the Nov. 6th the NGA Tennessee Music City Nights of the Champions & Pro Classic is going to be canceled or moved to a later date. I'm going to email them right now and find out if this is true

bgben3
10-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Here is a little update on where I'm at. I'm 2 weeks out from The IFPA Yorton Cup Worlds in Washington D.C. and 4 weeks out to the SNBF SuperNatural Pro/Am in Atlanta, GA. I'm feeling great today, had an amazing workout. Its a great start to the week, considering last week I was really struggling with everything, motivation, energy, endurance, just wasn't feeling it all week. The diet was starting to take a toll on me, but feeling much better this week. My goal is to come in a little leaner than I did in the St. Louis Show Me Pro. Which shouldn't be a problem, I'm feeling lean and muscle are looking full. Veins are already showing in my stomach, good indication that I'm very close.