PDA

View Full Version : Carbohydrates,carbs, carbs and more carbs. Are Carbs such a Bad Thing?

needtogetaas
04-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Are Carbs such a Bad Thing?

For many years bodybuilders have touted carbohydrates as the enemy to staying lean while building muscle. What are carbohydrates? In terms of science manuals, “a Carbohydrate is an organic compound with the general formula Cm(H2O)n, that consists only of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen, the last two in the 2:1 atom ratio. Carbohydrates can be viewed as hydrates of carbon, hence their name.” The basic role of carbohydrates may be summed up by saying that these supply energy to the body. Glucose is the most important source of carbohydrates. It is a simple sugar, (monosaccharide) which is metabolized by nearly all known organisms, even plants! Scientific studies estimate a release of 4 kcal (approximately) of energy by the oxidation of just one gram of carbohydrate. This energy is temporarily stored within the human cells in the form of ATP. Since it is easier to metabolize carbohydrates than fats and proteins, carbohydrates are a superior short-term fuel Yet at the same time are also a much better sustainable fuel for the body as well ( more on this later).

There are four types of carbohydrates. Monosaccharides, disaccharides, Oligosaccharides and polysaccharides. Mono and disaccharides are simple carbohydrates. Oligosaccharides and polysaccharides are the complex carbs, however oligarosaccharides can also be disaccharides. Glucose galactose and fructose are found in monosaccharides; Lactose, sucrose, and maltose are found in disaccharides; polysaccharides consist of fiber, glycogen and starch. Monosaccharides are the simplest units of carbohydrates and known as the sugar molecule. Disaccharides are formed from two monosaccharide molecules and are what we would see in processed sugars. Polysaccharides are formed from multiple bonds of monosaccharides. One of the more prominent individuals such as Dave Palumbo has always been one against the idea of a carb based diet unless one is dirty bulking; yet he advocates that once a week people should do refeeds to speed up their metabolism. That right there lets you know that carbs ARE needed for fat loss and not just bulking. While protein does have the highest satiety after ingestion, protein also can only be consumed in small amounts due to protein synthesis. Our natural bodies were only meant to absorb and digest 30gs per 90 minutes( On avg) . If we do the math here that would equate to a measly 120 calories. In order to gain muscle one must intake a sufficient amount of calories, while expending it in the gym with weights to build lean body mass.

Read the rest of this Article and more at
http://www.needtobuildmuscle.net/blog/2010/04/13/carbohydratescarbs-carbs-and-more-carbs-are-carbs-such-a-bad-thing/#respond

zachdg
04-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Duh...this post is stupid man. Dave isnt against carbs either. Carbs are highly overrated in terms of "muscle building". A muscle/liver cell can only store so much glycogen before it becomes stored elsewhere in the body as adipose.

"Rodz"
04-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Duh...this post is stupid man. Dave isnt against carbs either. Carbs are highly overrated in terms of "muscle building". A muscle/liver cell can only store so much glycogen before it becomes stored elsewhere in the body as adipose.

Actually your post is "stupid" This is a site to share information. Dave's "keto" diet is very strict in the fact that you only consume incidental carbs (from nuts) for 6 days of the week. Then on the 7th day you have a "cheat meal" with carbs to knock your body out of ketosis, then you start the cycle again.

There are so many different ideas on dieting and nutrition, all are welcome, please lets stay away from insulting anyones point of view here.

Thanks and welcome

needtogetaas
04-13-2010, 09:23 PM
I dont think I ever said he was? In fact I think I had said he thinks carbs are useful too? Man at least thats what I thought I said.

Anyway thanks for coming out. ;)

needtogetaas
04-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Actually your post is "stupid" This is a site to share information. Dave's "keto" diet is very strict in the fact that you only consume incidental carbs (from nuts) for 6 days of the week. Then on the 7th day you have a "cheat meal" with carbs to knock your body out of ketosis, then you start the cycle again.

There are so many different ideas on dieting and nutrition, all are welcome, please lets stay away from insulting anyones point of view here.

Thanks and welcome
YA I would think by now anyone can see nothing I say,do, or write is to slight anyone start same gay flame war or some kind of dumb kid shit anyway. Daves a great fucking guy and I have liked him from the moment I started talking with him. So insinuating Anything I write is in anyway against something he says is retarded, but thank you very much.

The write up is more for the "avg" person not for pro level bodybuilders anyway.. Big difference I think.

"Rodz"
04-13-2010, 09:29 PM
It's alright Bro, everyone has an opinion, all we can do is help educate, its all good

Come here big guy

:hmn:

needtogetaas
04-13-2010, 09:41 PM
It's alright Bro, everyone has an opinion, all we can do is help educate, its all good

Come here big guy

:hmn:
you make me wet:hugme:

"Rodz"
04-13-2010, 10:28 PM
you make me wet:hugme:

LMAO................you forgot the "no homo" part

B7emm
04-13-2010, 10:44 PM
good read!

SBT
04-13-2010, 11:14 PM
nice read!

needtogetaas
04-14-2010, 12:28 AM
LMAO................you forgot the "no homo" part
Or did I?

ya (no homo)

"Rodz"
04-14-2010, 12:42 AM
LOL, as long as were on the same page ....no homo

Andrew732
04-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Definitely a good read, GOOD shit need2, I found the info on Syndrome X to be real interesting. I have always been an advocator of a solid carb intake.

thesamewords
04-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Carbs are delicious.....

needtogetaas
04-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Carbs are delicious.....
OMG yes they are.

SBT
04-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Carbs are delicious.....

ohhhhhhh yeah!!!

GENESIS
04-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Carbs are delicious.....

not a big fan.... i enjoy a sweet potatoe here and there, but im a true keto man.

Jason Newman
04-14-2010, 11:14 PM
good info, and it will always be debated, last year i dropped about 20lbs on keto did well, but did not do well trying to add weight on low carb high fat, i add better when i have carbs and fats but NEVER IN THE SAME MEAL FOR ME

wildcat22
04-28-2010, 07:30 PM
I am diet with keto but definitely believe carbs are needed for muscle building!