PDA

View Full Version : "fried" calamari

tammyp
02-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Calamari Me!

Ingredients:
4 oz. raw calamari rings (not breaded)
1/4 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original)
3 tbsp. panko bread crumbs (like the kind by Progresso)
2 tbsp. fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. salt
black pepper, to taste
Optional: reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping, lemon wedges, low-fat marinara sauce

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Using a blender or food processor, grind Fiber One cereal to a breadcrumb-like consisten cy. Pour crumbs into a plastic container that has an airtight lid (or into a sealable plastic bag). Add panko, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and salt. Add as much pepper as you like. Seal and shake to mix thoroughly.

Make sure calamari rings are as dry as possible. (Use a paper towel to soak up moisture.) Place them in a dish, and pour egg substitute over them. Toss to coat evenly.

Transfer rings to the crumb mixture, and secure lid or seal bag. Shake until rings are thoroughly coated, and then place rings on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray. Open any rings that are sticking to themselves.

Bake calamari in the oven for 15 minutes, flipping them about halfway through, until firm and fully cooked. If you like, sprinkle with Parm-style topping and serve with lemon wedges and/or marinara sauce. YUM!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Serving Size: 1 heaping cup
Calories: 236
Fat: 4g
Sodium: 779mg
Carbs: 31.5g
Fiber: 7g
Sugars: 1g
Protein: 23g

POINTSŪ value 4*

red barraca
02-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Calamari Me!

Ingredients:
4 oz. raw calamari rings (not breaded)
1/4 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original)
3 tbsp. panko bread crumbs (like the kind by Progresso)
2 tbsp. fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. salt
black pepper, to taste
Optional: reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping, lemon wedges, low-fat marinara sauce

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Using a blender or food processor, grind Fiber One cereal to a breadcrumb-like consisten cy. Pour crumbs into a plastic container that has an airtight lid (or into a sealable plastic bag). Add panko, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and salt. Add as much pepper as you like. Seal and shake to mix thoroughly.

Make sure calamari rings are as dry as possible. (Use a paper towel to soak up moisture.) Place them in a dish, and pour egg substitute over them. Toss to coat evenly.

Transfer rings to the crumb mixture, and secure lid or seal bag. Shake until rings are thoroughly coated, and then place rings on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray. Open any rings that are sticking to themselves.

Bake calamari in the oven for 15 minutes, flipping them about halfway through, until firm and fully cooked. If you like, sprinkle with Parm-style topping and serve with lemon wedges and/or marinara sauce. YUM!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Serving Size: 1 heaping cup
Calories: 236
Fat: 4g
Sodium: 779mg
Carbs: 31.5g
Fiber: 7g
Sugars: 1g
Protein: 23g

POINTSŪ value 4*

uuuummmm!calamari love it,wow tammy i'll have to try this

STEELERJ-XL
02-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Emmmmm calamari......What is that? SQUID?

Mouse
02-10-2009, 07:12 PM
^ Yes it is...tasty, delicious squid.

This looks pretty good.

Tammy, how does baking it affect it's tenderness? These can get rubbery if you cook too long.

JamesWebb
02-10-2009, 07:20 PM
wow that sounds great. i'm gonna try it for sure.

tammyp
02-11-2009, 06:45 AM
i find these as close to real fried calamari as you can get. the breading is thicker which i love. i have alot of fried recipes using fiber 1..ill post em up today.

"BB2K"
02-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Now that looks fantastic! Cant wait to see your other posts like this!