PDA

View Full Version : How long should I wait after surgery?

Grace of God
04-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Hello, This is my first time posting, but I have enjoyed reading threads at this website prior to this post. I have found out alot of useful and interesting information thus far! Thank you!!
I have a question about taking time off after surgery.
I recently decided to do my first figure show next March. I am 23 yrs old and am very excited about it! I have worked extremely hard to get my body and muscular development to where it is today, and in two weeks I have breast agumentation surgery scheduled. The surgery date was moved up without much notice and now I am worried about all my hard work Ive done, and having to take time off from the gym. : (

How long did some of you ladies take before getting back into the swing of your routine after breast augumentation surgery?
Did you find that you lost muscle mass during your time off?
How long after should I wait to start doing plyometric/reactive type training?

Thank you for all your posts.
You have all inspired me.

Grace

GirlyMuscle
04-17-2010, 03:33 PM
I can't really say since I haven't had it done. I did a search for you and found a couple of threads you can read through while you wait for the girls to chime in. :)

http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=8891&highlight=breast

http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=27158&highlight=breast

Oh and welcome to RX!

Zero Gravity
04-20-2010, 01:07 PM
I was walking about a week post surgery. Six weeks is pretty standard in terms of what surgeons tend to recommend. You should go by what your surgeon tells you and it might vary depending on what you're having done.

I had the full mommy makeover, implants (unders), lift and tummy tuck. I was walking 'round the neigborhood less than a week post surgery. Slowly lol. I was cleared to run at 2 weeks and whatever else I wanted at 6 weeks.

I did lose strength. I'd say by 12 weeks I was at 80%. Honestly it took me about a year to get back to full 100% in terms of upper body strength and being able to do "whatever" without any discomfort at all.

In terms of muscle loss - I didn't notice any though I assume there would have been some. I was more concerned with fat gain - my forte. I wouldn't be overly concerned with it though. You'll have several months to rebound which will come quicker than initial gains. Just make sure you eat enough during the down time and do what you can, when you can, to maintain.

sassy69
04-20-2010, 02:37 PM
You won't "lose muscle" over a few weeks out of the gym. You might actually get to consider that "recovery time", also your body will be working hard anyway trying to recover from the surgery. As noted above, the bigger impact will be in your ability to do upper body - your ROM will be limited while your body heals, builds up some scar tissue and then breaks it back down. FWIW I had my boob job on Jan 14, 2000, and I was prepping for my first BB show by April. I got unders so I had a lot of invasive activity I had to recover from. It took a few months to get full ROM back but the bigger issue for me was to be able to do chest and some back exercises w/o my pec muscles spasming while they were still dealing w/ the tightness of the implant area. But all in all, I was on stage at about 7% by Auguest.

Lann1011
04-20-2010, 03:45 PM
6 weeks for over the muscle... that is what I did.

Grace of God
04-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Thank you all for all of your advice!!!
Tuesday is the big day!
Looking forward to some time off.
Thank again for all of your responses.

GirlyMuscle
04-24-2010, 02:11 PM
GOod luck! Let us know how it all goes.

tammyp
04-24-2010, 03:09 PM
welcome and congrads on the new rack:)