PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get into the swing of things....advice needed!

Anabolic1's_Girl
03-12-2009, 12:04 AM
Hello LADIES!

Well I am new to this site, but I am eager to learn all that I can from you professional woman! :)

About me: I am about 145 lbs, 5'3, 30% bf, and 25 years old.

My training: My training consists of 5-6 days a week with 30-45 minutes of cardio about 5 times a week. I train all body parts throughout the week with my fiance.

My problem: After a long day of working I only have time to workout around 6:30 at night and by the time I get home its close to 8:30 pm. I don't like to eat late at night, but I know after a hard workout I need a meal. What are your suggestions on a good meal to eat late at night and after a workout.

All advice is greatly appreciated. :)

GirlyMuscle
03-12-2009, 07:35 AM
Later night after training, I'd do a regular meal or pwo shake. On nights with no workout skip the complex carb.

Fit_5"3
03-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Welcome.

:)

partsRheavy
03-13-2009, 02:54 AM
It's definitely important to eat a decent meal after your workout. Even if I have a shake immediately after, I have a larger meal within an hour or so.

What I like to do is scramble up 3 or 4 eggs for the last meal before bed. I use olive oil to grease the pan, but mac nut oil (Species sells it) would be preferable. It's quick and it gives you protein for overnight. I use whole eggs but you can use egg whites

Have you considered splitting your lifting days from your cardio days so that you're not at the gym so late each evening? That way, it would be only an hour or so at the gym per day. I really like lifting on separate days from cardio.

Just an amateur here.

Welcome to the forum!!

sassy69
03-13-2009, 03:00 AM
Currently I'm similar to you - I get home > 9pm from the gym. I'm 18 weeks out from a show so I still have room for PWO stuff - I do a protein shake + 2 pieces of ezekial bread + sugar free jelly. Then an hr later I get hungry again & do a "pudding" of casein + a tbls of ANPB, mixed w/ 1 Splenda packet & water. Then I'm good until morning.

tammyp
03-13-2009, 06:04 AM
if you dont feel like a big meal, do a MR shake.

Angela123
03-13-2009, 04:08 PM
hey girl, just wanted to welcome you to RX. im not the best at this sort of advice bc im always hungry and want to eat and easily will eat a large meal at night. BUT... eggwhites are good to have late at night...easily digested. or protein powder. just dont make it as a shake in a blender with ice. its too filling that way. put it in a bowl mixed with water, make a pudding. it is not as filling that way. for carbs, a slice or 2 of ezekial bread, like sassy mentioned. or just use a protein powder with carbs in it.

Anabolic1's_Girl
03-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Hey ladies- thanks for all the advice. Sorry it has taken so long to reply to all of ya'll, but I've been away from the computer due to some family emergencies.

I have tried doing lifting and cardio on seperate days, but I love lifting way too much. I'm trying to do max out right now that way that way I can bulk up and then lower the weights and up the reps. For instance, I just maxed out on my bicep curl at 35 lbs, 3 sets, 7-8 reps each. So I thought when I lower the reps, I would do 20 lbs, 4 sets, 18-20 reps. Am I doing that right?
I don't want to ask my fiance because I want him to think I know what I am doing...lol!
I will def. do the eggs as a late night workout or the protein shake. Which protein shake is the best to buy as far as the brand?

I look forward to hearing more from all of you.

Tatyana
03-15-2009, 10:54 AM
I don't think there is a huge difference between brands of protein, really it is only a supplement.

Typically, I get one I like the flavour of, the only problem with that is if I like it too much, I use it too often.

ripcurlgirl
03-15-2009, 11:57 AM
You're off to a good start, congrats! Eating is the tricky part of the equation. Most of your work happens in the kitchen, vs. the weight room. Macro composition, timing of meals, and just being organized and prepared are key. Your day is 24hrs, your body needs the fuel, whether you feel like it or not. My last meal is a whey shake and a bit of peanut butter right before bed. And 6 weeks out from a contest, it's like candy, mmm. Keep up the good work!

Anabolic1's_Girl
03-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks I am trying. I think what I am going to start doing is trying to get up early in the morning, workout at around 5 am, that way when I get home by 6 at night I can cook a good, nutrious dinner and enjoy it. Besides I don't think my finace would like it much if I stopped cooking dinner. LOL! I might not have a fiance if that happens. Maybe that workout regimen will workout better. :) lets hope because I am not a morning person. LOL!

stephaniewicked
03-15-2009, 10:00 PM
If it helps, I workout late at night (930-11pm) and manage to have a small meal post-workout (whey shake and 2 rice cakes, usually)... then before bed, I like to have a tbsp of peanut butter and a casein shake. Sometimes a sugar free jello as a little low cal dessert!

If you don't want to cook when you get home from the gym, can you cook every other day perhaps? That will alleviate some of the pressure on gym nights.

I cook my meals on Sundays for the entire week... then again, I don't have a fiancee at home waiting for me to feed him, so it's understandable that you're taking that into account.

Good luck waking up early! I'm not a morning person either!! :)

Nikki_MyBodyBeats
05-08-2009, 10:33 AM
I have a husband and 2 kids...a lot of times we're not getting home until 8:30pm and the day to day is just nutty...school, soccer & gymnastics for the kids, gym time, running a business...so I also do what stephaniewicked does....I prepare several days worth of meals on one day. for example; I'll grill up several packages of chicken breasts, steam some veggies, and cook up some brown rice so that when we get home late, I can just heat and eat.....