PDA

View Full Version : Off Season Calorie Intake

george.mumford
04-23-2010, 10:07 PM
How many calories do you recommend consuming in the off-season to gain mass but keep a relatively lean physique?

I was thinking about 18 calories per pound of LEAN BODYWEIGHT. Or should I do 18 calories per pound of CURRENT BODYWEIGHT?

Chris Pearce
04-23-2010, 10:20 PM
I do about 25 calories per pound, but I have a pretty fast metabolism

Jason Newman
04-23-2010, 11:36 PM
ya calculated out 18*200 for me is 3600 cals, at which point id def be "offseason" too soft for me more like 3000 cal so id be 15cal/lb for me to be happy

the mighty stu
04-24-2010, 08:41 AM
Obviously there's going to be some individual differences amongst people, but pick a number, and after a couple of weeks assess if you're making gains at the level of leanness you're comfortable with. There's certainly no point in eating more than you actually need simply because some formula you found online says so -lol.

S

george.mumford
04-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Obviously there's going to be some individual differences amongst people, but pick a number, and after a couple of weeks assess if you're making gains at the level of leanness you're comfortable with. There's certainly no point in eating more than you actually need simply because some formula you found online says so -lol.

S

Thanks that was actually very informative. I will try something and assess after that.
Would using a skinfold test every week on the same day be a good indicator of gains? I would also weigh myself of course. But I want to try to get a accurate reading and assessment of what type of lbs I am gaining. ie. fat or muscle

the mighty stu
04-24-2010, 04:57 PM
If you want to I guess you could,.. I usually just go by the mirror. If you've got a competition coming up (even 6 months away), obviously you're not going to want to have to drop 40 lbs during a prep.

S

AVBG
04-24-2010, 05:09 PM
As long as I get in sufficient protein ie 30-40g per meal x 5, I will supplement calories with carbs/ fat.

With my slow metabolism i do off season cardio 30 min pre workout (for warm up too) to keep the bf in check.. Once the definition gets too hazy I cut back on carbs.