PDA

View Full Version : Final Week Manipulations

Scoobysnacks
03-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Okay, here is the thread, if it becomes a good discussion/debate etc I will sticky it, but for now, just a thread.

For now I will say I understand there are all kinds of points of view on this. Ive used varying methods.

1) What worked best for me was carbing up largely on Weds as I decreased water and had dropped the added sea salt to my diet a couple days prior. As the show neared carbs tapered, water continued to taper, friday was more of a fat load, once dry sodium was put back in, and then a bit of water before stage.

2) ive also had success with simply keeping diet fairly the same, upping carbs slightly friday while ceasing all sea salt on meals and condiments (so just sodium from my six meals) and cutting water off at bedtime. Few more carb, fat sodium meals before stage and I dry out and fill out nicely.

3) I have also used a large carb load on Tues or Weds with just normal water intake no added salts, then back to a low to moderate carb diet with sodium back to normal and water high to keep peeing with a bit added fats to hold the carb load (if fat wasnt high to begin with).

Im not a huge fan of all this using whiting or tilapia or only fish and asparagus unless you have weight to make or special circumstances, which usually I never advise someone to chase weight, but at the national levels sometimes it makes sense.

Obviously there are no particulars here, Im just talking in general.

Lastly, I tell everyone, if you really dont understand how to manipulate sodium, potassium, water, carbs and fats Id just do #2 above.

Some of the common mistakes are removing ALL sodium or removing sodium too soon. Trust me the body is smarter than you and will adjust for this, you may have about a 12-18 hr window where you can trick it. Cutting all water is not bright either.

Lets see where this goes. If you want to add something please do, if you want to ask something please do.

Other topics are when to stop training, when to stop cardio, when to last train legs and when to stop HIIT cardio and LISS cardio, etc.

Thanks

Ss

Youngguns
03-12-2009, 11:47 AM
I would also recommend number 2.

The worst that can happen is you don't look 100%. But if you choose the other two, you can a good possibility of coming in 90% or less...

It even happens to pros!

If you're muscular and lean, you'll look like that on stage.

Iron Bulldog
03-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Great idea for a topic. My first show is 2 1/2 weeks away and right now me and my trainer are planning on doing a large carb, far, sodium load on wed and then tapering water off and moderating carbs up until the show.

Scoobysnacks
03-12-2009, 12:21 PM
I would also recommend number 2.

The worst that can happen is you don't look 100%. But if you choose the other two, you can a good possibility of coming in 90% or less...

It even happens to pros!

If you're muscular and lean, you'll look like that on stage.

Just to be clear though I just recommend #2 if you are doing it on your own and really dont have a grasp for this stuff yet. If you know what you are doing the other methods work and they work well.

Scoobysnacks
03-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Great idea for a topic. My first show is 2 1/2 weeks away and right now me and my trainer are planning on doing a large carb, far, sodium load on wed and then tapering water off and moderating carbs up until the show.

I assume you meant "fat". Why would you load large amount of fats with the carbs, if its Weds, you dont want to really blunt the insulin response (which the fats will). Personally I think it makes more sense to get the carbs in Weds, then use a moderate diet the rest of the week in terms of carbs with higher fats to keep the carbs from being utilized while you dry out for the show. Just my take, I of course only have what you are stating and that could be what you mean.

wnybodybuildingfan
03-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Great info Scooby. I am 9 weeks out from my first ever show.

Kolbe
03-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Ok, so if you follow Dave's diet, how do you carb up? I mean, the body isn't used to carbs. Should you load with fats instead?
I'm all confused with this last week prep when coming from keto..

Scoobysnacks
03-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Ok, so if you follow Dave's diet, how do you carb up? I mean, the body isn't used to carbs. Should you load with fats instead?
I'm all confused with this last week prep when coming from keto..

You would rely more on fats, but Im of the belief you definitley want to get some carbs in, maybe 15-20 per meal.....and keep your fats.

Iron Bulldog
03-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Scooby, I talked to my trainer and I was wrong. That last dirty meal will be one week before the show. Then clean carb up on wednesday.

Luka Treska
03-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Generally I don't carb load at all, I just fat load and keep my carbs the same they've been through the entire diet. I do cut water completely though, I've tried sipping etc and I just spill over. I cut it around 7pm on friday.

For fat loading, I don't measure how much I eat, I just eat it. I start friday night (around 9pm) and for protein I use whole eggs, about 4-5 every two hours. Along side the eggs I have rice cakes covered with Nutella and I chase it down with honey. I do this every two hours until weight in. After weigh in I have 2 snickers bars and just sip on honey.

I stop training wednesday. Stop leg training 7-10 days out. After wednesday, cardio is just replaced with posing (I'll have about 5-6 sessions a day, going through mendatories and routine).

That's all I could think of right now.