PDA

View Full Version : Matt Cena: Still Pursuing the Dream Q&A/Journal

Matt Cena
04-27-2010, 08:27 AM
4/25 Chest and Biceps
Arrived at the gym a little ahead of training partner Mark Antonek. Mark is getting ready for the IFBB Tampa Pro and me, well, I am getting ready for something also.

Pec Flyes: I start warming up on the pec flye machine when he walks in, we hit a few more warm up sets and then the green flag was dropped and it was go time. The stack on this machine only goes to 240lbs so I knew what I had to do. Ignoring the sticker stating "Do Not Alter Or Modify Weight Stack" we topped it with a 15lb dumbell and tagged a 45lb plate to the front. 300lb pec flyes in strict form, shoulders back and down, chest up high and squeezing each rep for a good contraction. With my chest on fire Mark made sure I got an extra 2 forced reps when my chest no longer wanted to contract on it's own. Plate pulled and the set continues. I dropped to 255lbs (stack plus the 15lb bell) and continued squeezing with everything I had, two forced reps then the drop to 150lbs until total muscular annihilation had occurred. I returned the favor for Mark using the same method. We did two sets here before moving on.

Incline SMith Machine Presses: Well one warm up set then right into 365lbs to failure plus two, 225lbs same way and finally 135lbs for set one. Second set was just as much fun but with a twist. 365lbs to failure, once failure was reached the countdown was on for a 15 second negative with help for the press. Drop to 225 same way and finally 135lbs.

Incline DUmbell FLyes: 75lbs for strict controlled reps to finish the chest portion of the workout.

Dumbell Hammer Curls: warm up then get right into it. 70lb bells to 55's to 40's. After we reached failure in front of the body, we did two more reps coming across the body. For some reason biomechanically after I fail curling to the front I am still able to get a few reps across the body, so we used this instead of forced reps.

Machine Preacher: This machine has rotating handles so the focus was turning the wrists out and keeping the pinkies high to place as much stress as possible on the outside of the biceps. three straight sets here.

Drag Curls: Using a barbell this is simply the act of dragging the bar upwards on your body. You do so by pulling your elbows back and contracting the biceps. Three straight sets and done.

Mission complete, the workout was over and we both walked away beaten, but better for it. Tomorrow is legs, can't wait!!!

HammerStrength12
04-27-2010, 08:53 AM
Good stuff! Is this an official training journal?

Matt Cena
04-27-2010, 08:55 AM

Thank you, yes it is and I just realized that I put it in the wrong place. I am sorry, so if someone needs to move it I understand.

HammerStrength12
04-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Thank you, yes it is and I just realized that I put it in the wrong place. I am sorry, so if someone needs to move it I understand.

Cool!

No, I'm not a mod, I could care less where you put the journal. If anything, I think this is a good place to put it. Looking forward to reading the other posts

fltallpaul
04-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Yo Matt what's going on. I met you backstage at the Hurricane Bay\Typhoon Bay in Tampa Last year. My girl was doing the figure. Anyway glad to see you back on the boards. You doing any of the Tim Gardner shows this year?

Matt Cena
04-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Yo Matt what's going on. I met you backstage at the Hurricane Bay\Typhoon Bay in Tampa Last year. My girl was doing the figure. Anyway glad to see you back on the boards. You doing any of the Tim Gardner shows this year?

Hey Paul, how you doing? Looking shredded man, keep it up.

I am not sure if I will be doing any of Tim's shows. Right now I am getting ready for another run at a natural pro card.

Matt Cena
04-27-2010, 07:54 PM
note: Chest was yesterday, it should have read 4/26.

4/27 Leg Day

As I walk into the gym I already know what torture lies ahead. I know what must be done and we don't waste any time getting into the workout.

Leg Extensions: We warm up, a few light sets to get the blood into our quads. We used higher reps for the first three warm up sets and then 200lbs for a few reps. The stack only goes to 240lbs with a smaller stack up to 10lbs that we tacked on as well. The total is 250lbs, not what we ideally want I would prefer more but this machine is hard to add resistance to due to it's construction. Slow and deliberate we start cranking out reps, I fail at 15 and Mark assists me for 3 more full reps, then it's on to 15 partial reps with the same weight before the first drop. 210lbs to failure plus 3 and the same 15 partials, then 150lbs using the same principle. This is my first set, my legs are engorged with blood and it feels as though two sand bags hang from my hips. Again I return the favor for Mark's first set.
We both go through the process 1 more time before moving on to the next exercise.

Single Leg Presses: 3 plates per side for a slow 12 reps is our first set. We up the ante on the next set with 5 plates per side and slowly force ourselves to get 8 reps per leg.

Modified Smith Machine Hacks: 45lb plate for each side and 3 sets of 10 here. With my feet close together and toes pointing forward the outside of my quad is my target and I hit it!

Stiff Legged Deadlifts: 135lbs, 225lbs then 315lbs for the last set. Each set is controlled and I am trying to really hit the hamstrings. My back stays flat and then slight bend in my knee never changes, as I focus on slowly pulling my hips back and returning to the top of the movement by squeezing my hamstrings and glutes to get there.

Lying Leg Curls: These are performed single leg in 21 fashion. The first 7 reps are performed through the bottom half of the range of motion, the second 7 reps is the top half and then finally 7 full reps. Two controlled and strict sets here.

Machine Leg Presses: Our feet are placed wide and on the top of the platform with a small plate under our toes to ensure pressing through the heels. Slowly and controlled again for 2 sets here and that finishes the upper leg training.

Seated Calf Raises: 45lbs 3 seconds at the bottom and top of each rep with a slow controlled positve and negative phase. I toss 2 2.5lb plates in between the next plate to help create a gap for what lies ahead, another warm up set with the same rep tempo. A total of 4 45lb plates now sit atop the machine with the first three gapped by 2 2.5lb plates. I start off 3 seconds at the bottom slow squeeze to the top, 3 second contraction and again a slow return to the bottom. I keep going to failure then a plate and a set of 2.5's are removed with no rest the reps continue until 2 plates remain and my calves are on fire. Mission accomplished.

Another great training session which has me looking forward to my "off day". On off days I focus on cardio, abs, calves and posing. I will be working on these tomorrow.

NATURAL-1987
04-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Matt, which show you doing?

AVBG
04-27-2010, 11:39 PM
If it's OK with you Matt, can we keep it as a sticky on the Natural board?

Matt Cena
04-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Matt, which show you doing?

I am still in the great debate as to which one I will be in. A few things going through my mind but once I decide for certain I will post it.

If it's OK with you Matt, can we keep it as a sticky on the Natural board?

AVBG, I am honored that you would consider this journal for a "sticky".

Matt Cena
04-29-2010, 08:34 AM
4/28 Off Day

I decided to spend my day out on the golf course with some friends. Went through a quick posing session at night to round off the day.

Shoulders and Triceps are on for Thursday and I am fired up for it already!

the mighty stu
04-29-2010, 10:09 AM
ahhh Golf! -lol, Last summer playing 'Pitch n Putt' with my shirt off was the closest I got to actual tanning :)

S

Kiyoshi Moody
04-29-2010, 02:07 PM
I know u doing the TEAM U!!!!?

AVBG
04-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks Matt. This is the best place for Natural bodybuilders and seeing that you're here is only going to make it stronger.

AVBG
04-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Define your training style high intensity or volume?

Matt Cena
04-29-2010, 04:52 PM
4/29 Shoulders and Triceps

I arrived at the gym shortly after Mark and we proceeded to get right into the shoulder workout.

Rear Delt Pulldowns: These are performed in a lat pulldown station, three sets here 75lbs, 145lbs and 160lbs.

Seated Side Lateral Raises: Warmup set with 30's, then 45's. First set was with 55's and every rep took it's toll until my arms would no longer elevate to my sides at which point Mark had assisted with three more reps, quick drop and picked up the 40's getting right after it and again three forced reps. 25's were the last leg of this triple drop set and by this time they felt just as heavy as the 55's, blasted them out with 3 forced reps and that concluded set 1.
Set 2 was the same attack but with 60's, 40's then the 25's. I made Mark use the 60's and he returned the favor for my second set.

Nautalis Shoulder Press Plate Loaded: 2 plates per side was the warmup for 10 reps. I take my APT wraps out of the bag, slowly tightening them around my wrist as I know what workload lies ahead. It's time to get after it and with 5 plates per side now loaded on the machine there is no time for second guesses. I grip the oversized handles and press with everything I have. Again the weight ends up stopping my progress despite my best efforts to continue pressing and so with Mark's help three more reps are achieved. Quick drop to 3 plates per side and I am right back to pressing. Three forced reps round out my efforts here and then we move on.

Rear Delt Machine Flyes: 240lbs, getting right into it as that is all the stack on this particular machine holds. Start squeezing the rear delts to get the weight back, as the reps increase so does the fatigue which accompanies it. Three forced reps, drop to 180lbs and go at it again before dropping to 135lbs and finishing the set. One and done here then we move into triceps.

Smith Close Grip Bench Presses: 135lbs warm up for quick 10 reps. 315lbs was on the agenda until Mark said that would be enough at which point I upped the ante throwing on 365lbs. The weight feels incredibly higher than that as I struggle to get every rep. At the point where pressing no longer gets the bar any further off my chest Mark again guides me for three more reps until I drop to 225lb to failure plus three forced reps.
Second set performed in the same fashion with 315lbs to a drop off 225lbs.

Rope Pressdowns: 80lbs for one set then 2 sets with 120lbs for 8 reps each set.

Incline Overhead Dumbell Extensions: 105lb dumbell for 12 reps the first set. 125lbs for the second and final set, again 12 reps and the workout was complete.

With our shoulders and triceps officially trashed we walked form the gym proud of our accomplishment and knowing tomorrow for Back it will be the same style of torture. I can't wait!

Matt Cena
04-29-2010, 05:01 PM
ahhh Golf! -lol, Last summer playing 'Pitch n Putt' with my shirt off was the closest I got to actual tanning :)

S

I know what you mean. I truly enjoy the game but am a total hack. It was good to just "relax" for the day though by going out to the course since it is probably the last time I will be able to get out for a while.

I know u doing the TEAM U!!!!?

Hey Kiyoshi, I am going to make that determination within the next few weeks. It is an incredible show and I have to try to keep up with you and the rest of the freaks up there. If I can get myself where I feel I need to be at this point then I may end up at the Team U for sure.
Thank you very much for checking in. You are a true inspiration to Natural Bodybuilders everywhere.

Thanks Matt. This is the best place for Natural bodybuilders and seeing that you're here is only going to make it stronger.

I truly appreciate it. I will do everything that I can to help out. Thank you again for the warm welcome and support.

Define your training style high intensity or volume?

Continuously Variable Resistance, I'm just kidding. My approach is always evolving and I don't really consider myself to really have an approach I guess.
Currently I am working with a Hybrid BFT Approach. BFT is a training system which was promoted and developed by the late Trevor Smith. I have used the system with much success in the past. This time around though where I am contemplating some shows in the near future I have modified the program so that I can really hammer out my weak points. I will be following this for 1 more week making it 3 weeks in total for this phase at which point I will take more progress pictures and evaluate what I need to focus on from here making modifications to my program.
The next phase of my program is pretty much set up but I will be making some changes after next weekend when I look at the pictures.

AVBG
04-29-2010, 05:51 PM
All I ask is you keep it real and not dodge any hard questions..lol..serious :)

This site is as only as strong as it's contributors. Competitors/trainers like yourself (amongst others who have posted up here) inspire people to train and stay drug free.

Now I got to convince my boy nat87 to start a thread ;)

AVBG
04-29-2010, 05:53 PM
(everybody loves Kiyoshi at least on this board they do)

Zack Attack
04-29-2010, 06:18 PM
yo matt looking big bro! i'm new to RX cause i just switched from another forum so I plan on following you, joe, and some of the other guys. what kind of split would you recommend for bulking?

Matt Cena
04-29-2010, 06:26 PM
yo matt looking big bro! i'm new to RX cause i just switched from another forum so I plan on following you, joe, and some of the other guys. what kind of split would you recommend for bulking?

Thanks for following along here, I hope you find the journal interesting and informative.

As far as what type of split is best for bulking, to me it's almost like saying what shoes are best to train in. By that I mean, find one that works for you and get after it. In my opinion, intensity and consistency are what counts for bulking. When I first started my BFT split a few years back I had people tell me I was nuts and I wouldn't get bigger or stronger doing the pre exhaust triple drop sets starting with flyes and blah blah blah.
Well, I said "Wait and see". After completing that training cycle and getting past 300lb pec deck flyes I was able to bench press 455lbs and do incline dumbell flyes with 125's. I guess my point is as long as you give everything you have to your workouts and stay consistent with them and nutrition, that is the best program for bulking. I hope this makes sense, if not I will try to give some other examples.

Matt Cena
04-29-2010, 06:28 PM
All I ask is you keep it real and not dodge any hard questions..lol..serious :)

This site is as only as strong as it's contributors. Competitors/trainers like yourself (amongst others who have posted up here) inspire people to train and stay drug free.

Now I got to convince my boy nat87 to start a thread ;)

No worries. As fas as nat87, what's he waiting on? let's get him posting one soon.

(everybody loves Kiyoshi at least on this board they do)

He is truly an inspiration and a great competitor.

Zack Attack
04-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks for following along here, I hope you find the journal interesting and informative.

As far as what type of split is best for bulking, to me it's almost like saying what shoes are best to train in. By that I mean, find one that works for you and get after it. In my opinion, intensity and consistency are what counts for bulking. When I first started my BFT split a few years back I had people tell me I was nuts and I wouldn't get bigger or stronger doing the pre exhaust triple drop sets starting with flyes and blah blah blah.
Well, I said "Wait and see". After completing that training cycle and getting past 300lb pec deck flyes I was able to bench press 455lbs and do incline dumbell flyes with 125's. I guess my point is as long as you give everything you have to your workouts and stay consistent with them and nutrition, that is the best program for bulking. I hope this makes sense, if not I will try to give some other examples.

yeah thanks matt i follow you with that. over the summer i did a lot of pre exhaust and drop sets and made some good gains in mass. I also threw in some low rep, powerlifting set-rep schemes which helped too.

Matt Cena
04-29-2010, 09:12 PM
yeah thanks matt i follow you with that. over the summer i did a lot of pre exhaust and drop sets and made some good gains in mass. I also threw in some low rep, powerlifting set-rep schemes which helped too.

That is definitely a solid foundation. I have used a similar format in the past with great results as well. I wish you the best with your bulking phase and look forward to your updates.

Matt Cena
04-30-2010, 10:50 AM
4/30 Back And Calves

Early a.m. session for us today and we are joined by Chris, one of Mark’s clients. Chris has made an amazing transformation over the past 10 months and is looking to compete later on this year. It was great to have him in the workout as we attacked our backs. here’s what went down:
Hammer Strength Pullovers: 90lbs warm up, just getting everything moving in the right direction then 180lbs then 270lbs same principle. Preparing our bodies for the work that lies ahead. With these three warm up sets out of the way we get right after it Mark goes first and after the completion of his set I strap myself in using the seat belt provided as I prepare for my set. 360lbs is loaded behind me, 4 plates per side and with my chest high, shoulders back I contract my lats forcing my elbows back and squeezing every rep for all it’s worth. My lats eventually resist and as fatigue sets in coupled with the heavy weight fighting back against me, Mark steps in to ensure I get three more reps in strict fashion focusing all attention to my lats. 45lbs per side is dropped and the process begins anew. Muscular failure again rears it’s ugly head but Mark is the to ensure we work past it. Pushing past failure and in the process building our physiques better. 45lbs again is dropped per side and the final leg of the triple drop is attacked. When I can no longer contract my back on my own will Mark gets me for three more reps and exhausted my set is now complete. I am unsure what is going through Chris’ head at this point but he straps in and gets his first set. We perform one more set each in the same fashion.
Low Incline Lat Pulldowns: With an incline bench facing into the cable crossover station we attached a cambered handle. Gripping the outside of the handle and lying face down we start out pulldowns. Getting a deep stretch and then pulling the bar between our bodies and the bench contracting our lats to the best of our abilities, three sets are performed here. I use 140lbs and 160lbs for the last two sets.
Lat Pulldowns: We proceed to lat puuldowns, with our backs upright and our elbows forward to alter the stress of these pulls. A warm up set is performed with 75lbs and then 175lbs for two sets of 8 reps per set in strict fashion.
Seated Cable Rows: We used a wide neutral grip handle. This was a three part process for the first set. With a knee in the back ensuring an upright position was maintained the first leg of the rows was accomplished. When strict reps could no longer be performed, our training partner stepped out and we were now free to use some momentum for five more reps. Still contracting the lats hard for the finish of the pull. After the five reps, leaning forward for five more partial reps, the range of motion was only about 6-8 inches keeping the tension in the upper lats just underneath the arms. The pulley, however, was not far enough forward on this machine so we dropped this portion for the second set. One more set here and we move on. The weight I used was 150lbs for a warm up, 225lbs for my first set and 210lbs for my second and final set.
Hyper Extension Rows: Yes, the hybrid hyper extension with a dumbell in each hand for those familiar with the movement. I grab a 20lb dumbell in each hand, I begin my hyper extension at the top of the movement I have my lower back contracted and now I pull the two dumbells upward as if getting into a rear lat spread. The contraction is held then the dumbells are lowered and fianlly I lower myself to the start of the rep where the process begins again. Two sets here and done. As I part ways with Mark and Chris, they go on to Biceps and I move on to hit Calves quickly.
Freemotion Single Leg Rotary Calf: This machine has two independent foot pads which pivot inward or outward. I set the seat at a comfortable level and put the pin at 200lbs. I perform these one leg at a time. Pressing with my big toe and focusing on keeping the pad moving straight I perform 25 reps. I then switch to my left leg repeating the process. I rest for a short while, 15 seconds, and complete the same process finishing my workout with my second and final set.
I head to the water fountain and mix one scoop of Anabolic Halo by Muscle Tech with 8oz of water and pound that down as I exit the gym. I know I gave everything I had to the workout and the recovery process has begun. When I get home it will be a Nitro Tech shake, 2 scoops with 16oz skim milk.

joedemarco
04-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Hey, Matt..great journal. I'll be following along for sure. I've been training at Hard Nocks past couple weeks. Love the place! I feel right at home.

Matt Cena
04-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Hey, Matt..great journal. I'll be following along for sure. I've been training at Hard Nocks past couple weeks. Love the place! I feel right at home.

Thanks Joe, great to have you along for the journey. I am very glad to hear that you are training over at Nock's, the gym is awesome. I am sure I will see you in there when I am back in July, possibly June.

Matt Cena
05-04-2010, 12:20 PM
5/3 Chest and Biceps

This is the last week for our hybrid BFT Training approach. The workout today went as follows:
Pec Dec Flyes: We warmed up slowly with three sets until we were ready to approach our first working set. 240lbs was the maximum weight we used and made sure every rep was performed in a ZMR style. We paused at the start of the rep, focusing all energy on muscular contraction slowly the weight was brought to the completion of the rep and with our chest high squeezed for a solid contraction before slowly lowering the weight, pausing and starting the next rep. Once failure was reached additional forced reps were implemented and the triple drop set began. Two sets were performed in this fashion then it was off to the presses.
Incline Smith Machine Presses: 4plates per side was the starting point, I would like to say 405lbs but with the slides for the smith machine taking stress off and a different bar weight I will just leave it at 4 plates for a start. Pressing to failure then forced reps then drop one plate at a time until we were down to 1. The next set was the same fashion with 3 plates down to 1.
Incline Dumbell Flyes: 100lb dumbells for 2 sets to finish off our chest attack.
Hammer Strength Preacher Curls: 1 warm up set with 50lbs then it was go time. 3 45lb plates were stacked with a 2.5lb plate as a spacer to make removal easier. Failure + forced reps+ drop sets = Total bicep stimulation!
Hammer Curls: I used 40lb dumbells and Mark worked his way up to 55′s. We did three sets.
Seated Free Motion Cable Curls: 45lbs and continuous tension. Contracting 1 arm at a time three sets were performed here and the workout was finished. Another great session in the gym.

Matt Cena
05-04-2010, 10:01 PM
5/4 Quads and Hamstrings

This morning session included myself, Mark and Chris. We didn’t waste too much time getting ready and here is how the leg workout went:
Leg Extensions: Warmed up with a few sets of lighter weight, around 150lbs for 15. I was a few minutes late so I kind of got right into it but still light enough to call them warm ups. The stack was used with a 25lb plate stapled to it. The first set was underway, as the reps increased so did the fatigue. I decided at my point of failure Mark would assist me in completing the rep and then push downward on the pad to provide additional resistance for the negatives. After this were 10 reps with a 6-8inch range of motion to keep continuous tension on the quadriceps. The weight was dropped and again the same process, the final drop occurred and the set was finished in the same fashion.
The second and final set my quads were refusing to cooperate so after failure Mark simply helped with the additional forced reps and I was in control of the negative with no additional force applied. Again 10 partial reps, drop and repeat. Then the final drop and repeat the 10 partial reps.
Single Leg Leg Presses: A quick warm up with 2 plates per side then right into the fun stuff. I loaded 6plates on each side and got into the press ready to give my all. I performed two sets with this weight trying to force Mark to push himself as hard as he could. Chris surprised both of us with his second set using 4 plates per side, a new personal record for him.
Reverse Hack Squats Superset with Dumbell Squats: With 5 plates on each side and facing the back pad I got into position, released the handles and began my set. After completion of the 8 reps I immediately held an 80lb dumbell in front and performed 10 squats with my heels slightly elevated on 2 2.5lb plates.
Cable Pull Through: This is an exercise I was introduced to from powerlifters. Grabbing a rope with my hands in between my legs I walked away from the cable stack. The reps are performed by letting your arms go through your legs for a stretch and then contracting your hamstrings and glutes bring the weight out in front of you.
Lying Hamstring Curls: set 1, I performed reps to failure with my toes pointed slightly out. Then by turning my toes inward attempted to get my forced reps. After the forced reps 5 partial reps were performed and the weight was dropped. Again same attack finishing off with the final 5 partial reps.
The second set was 100lbs to failure, which for me occurred at 16 reps. The first 10 reps my toes were pointed out and the final 6 my toes were straight in line with my calves.
I am extremely happy with the end result and am looking forward to my day of rest tomorrow. No weight training and we will be back after it on Thursday.

AVBG
05-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I like the way you describe your training .. Much more interesting than just numbers.. I believe the more info you can capture in your log the more you will learn from it.

Aside from the physicality of your training Matt how do you prepare yourself mentally not only for the workout but also the day that surrounds your training?

What are your bodybuilding aspirations? Is bodybuilding competition a stepping stone to other things you have mentally mapped out?

What holds Matt Cena back from being the best Matt Cena possible?

AVBG
05-04-2010, 10:21 PM

good to see you 'round Joe.

NATURAL-1987
05-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Matt, I have to say dude, the descriptions of training are awesome! I wish everyone put an effort into their journals like you bro! Keep it up and all the best!

Matt Cena
05-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Matt, I have to say dude, the descriptions of training are awesome! I wish everyone put an effort into their journals like you bro! Keep it up and all the best!

Thanks Natural-1987, from what I am told you will be starting a journal soon as well here. I truly appreciate the support.

cook
05-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Matt,I`m very impressed with your training style.Years ago I tried doing an isolation execise followed by a compound but I didn`t rest at all between the two.I found that I got very strong on flyes but man,I couldn`t bench but about 135 following them.Now I did these in superset fashion and I think that was a mistake.My question is how much rest do you take between the isolation exercise and the compound,do you recover fully or when you think you`re about half recovered?Did it take you a while to build up that much strength on the second execise? Thanks for your time and good luck with your training.

Matt Cena
05-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Matt,I`m very impressed with your training style.Years ago I tried doing an isolation execise followed by a compound but I didn`t rest at all between the two.I found that I got very strong on flyes but man,I couldn`t bench but about 135 following them.Now I did these in superset fashion and I think that was a mistake.My question is how much rest do you take between the isolation exercise and the compound,do you recover fully or when you think you`re about half recovered?Did it take you a while to build up that much strength on the second execise? Thanks for your time and good luck with your training.

Cook, thanks for checking in and I thank you for your support.
For starters, I agree that the immediate super set of flyes to presses limited your ability to press more and kept your progress on that exercise stagnant.
In terms of recovery, it's hard to say. I don't think once you start training the muscle you will get 100% recovery during your workout. I pretty much go straight through with minimal rest. So for my chest day after the last set of Pec Dec Flyes is performed I am on my way over to the Incline Smith Presses. The only delay is a warm up set , possibly, or my partner performing his set before I go. The same thing holds true when we move to flyes. It's the time it takes us to walk from the Smith to the dumbell area and grab what we need for Incline Flyes.
The routine I am currently on I believe causes great strength increases for the amount of time you implement it. I don't think you can use it for more than 6 weeks 8 if you are a true exception. I think that if you were to give the workout a try in the order and fashion we perform it in, you would notice both strength and size increases as well. As far as building up my own strength on the second exercise my weights have jumped up dramatically each week.
I thank you for your questions and your support. If I can be of any further help or you need me to go into more detail to explain something please let me know.

cook
05-05-2010, 11:13 AM
thanks

Matt Cena
05-05-2010, 06:18 PM
thanks

Anytime. I am glad I could be of help. I had originally typed out a long explanation but figured the abridged version would be better and not as confusing.

Matt Cena
05-05-2010, 09:30 PM
I like the way you describe your training .. Much more interesting than just numbers.. I believe the more info you can capture in your log the more you will learn from it.

Thanks for the feedback. I was actually thinking of changing it next week to just reflect the numbers and sets. I am glad you have enjoyed the journal.

Aside from the physicality of your training Matt how do you prepare yourself mentally not only for the workout but also the day that surrounds your training?

To be completely honest I don't. What I mean by this is whatever I am doing at that given time is where my attention is. I used to plan out my day and think about my workout what I would do when I got into the gym and how heavy I would train, what I would listen to etc. Now when I am not in the gym, I don't think about the gym and my workouts have been much better since. I feel as though this mental approach has helped me out in my progression.

What are your bodybuilding aspirations? Is bodybuilding competition a stepping stone to other things you have mentally mapped out?

I love bodybuilding and always have. I have helped several competitors with their training, diets, posing music, routines pretty much everything because it is my passion. I enjoy helping people learn about the sport or share from my knowledge to help them improve.
As far as using it as a stepping stone I don't have any set plans but I don't rule anything out either. I am open to wherever the sport may take me but I will always be a bodybuilder.

What holds Matt Cena back from being the best Matt Cena possible?

I don't want to sound too philosophical but nothing.
I believe the only thing that can hold someone back in life is themselves. I have been told that being a natural bodybuilder and the weight I started at I wouldn't be able to get over 230lbs without resorting to drugs. With the help of my then trainer Tom Prince, whom I have tremendous respect for, I hit an off season weight of 252lbs.
I was told that I wouldn't be able to achieve some other things as well and that I was crazy for competing in non tested shows. I did several last year placing as high as 2nd in one of them.
I feel life has no limits except those you set upon yourself.

Sorry I missed this earlier but when I checked the thread I went to the second page as I assumed my training post wa probably the last one on the first page.

AVBG
05-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Great answers Matt.. I like getting into the head of people who are driven like yourself to learn what works for them.

Matt Cena
05-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Great answers Matt.. I like getting into the head of people who are driven like yourself to learn what works for them.

Anytime.
I will be wrapping up my day soon as tomorrow starts at 0430.

Thank you to everyone who has been following along here as I chart my workouts and progress.

cook
05-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Dude,I did your leg workout this morning.Two sets of leg extensions with the drop sets then two sets of front squats on the smith machine.I used the same weight on the front squats that I have been using and much to my surprise I got 9 reps compared to 12 I got last week when I did them first.My quads are trashed and I don`t know how I`m going to get through a full day of work.Guess I won`t be too productive today.I just want to say thanks again and I`ll get out of here.

Matt Cena
05-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Dude,I did your leg workout this morning.Two sets of leg extensions with the drop sets then two sets of front squats on the smith machine.I used the same weight on the front squats that I have been using and much to my surprise I got 9 reps compared to 12 I got last week when I did them first.My quads are trashed and I don`t know how I`m going to get through a full day of work.Guess I won`t be too productive today.I just want to say thanks again and I`ll get out of here.

You are welcome here anytime.
I am glad to see that the workout has been productive for your leg training. The fact that you used the same weight for front squats is awesome, that's great work! I wish you the best making it through work today.

turkish1530
05-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Hey Matt, Thanks for stopping by my thread and giving me some great motivation! Your avatar pic looks beast it would be cool to see some other competition photos. Keep training hard and I hope that your next competition goes great for you! I am sure with your hard work ethic you will earn your natural pro card in no time.

Matt Cena
05-07-2010, 09:34 AM
5/6 Shoulders and Triceps

Today was Shoulder and Tricep training. Chris, Mark and I were ready to go after a day off and the workout proceeded as follows:
Seated Side Laterals: Warming up with 20′s, then 35′s I prepared for my first set. 60′s were used and once I reached failure Mark ensured I got my extra reps, drop those and pick up the 45′s. They start out not so heavy but that changes quick, again Mark helps with my extra reps then I grab the 30′s to finish my set. Again at the point of failure additional reps were performed with Mark’s help. Two sets were performed here before moving on.
Nautilus Plate Loaded Nitro Press: Time to get after it, 5 45lb plates are placed on each side of the machine. It gets heavy quick, with 3 forced reps out of the way after failure, 2 plates per side are removed and right away the pressing begins. Failure again and worked past with the help of forced reps from Mark. Two sets then on to the next exercise.
Rear Delt Pulldowns: 130lbs used for these, I use a neutral grip semi wide handle. The bar is worked through a limited range of motion keeping tension on the rear delts, too far and it will start targeting the lats. Again two sets, no forced reps here as we move on.
Incline Rear Delt Raises: Lying face down on an incline bench , the rear delt flyes begin. I used 25′s for the first set then dropped to 20′s to ensure maximum isolation. This concluded the shoulder portion of our workout.
Incline Cable Skull Crushers: Placing an incline bench close to the cable tower and placing the pulley a little above the bottom of the tower we attached a cambered bar. Warm up set out of the way, frst set done and finished with the 200lb stack for 12. 2 working sets with no forced reps.
Rope Pressdowns: 120lbs for pressdowns for 3 sets. Nothing fancy here just regular old pressdowns.
Bench Dips: I haven’t done these in a while so cautiously my first set was performed with only a 45lb plate across my thighs. After this and the fact that Mark asked when we were going to start our workout because he was just getting warmed up I decided that I was capable and comfortable going heavier. Now with 2 plates and 125lb dumbell placed on top I did my two sets, 8 reps with the dumbell then 6 reps with just the 2 45′s. This concluded the training session for the day.

Matt Cena
05-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Hey Matt, Thanks for stopping by my thread and giving me some great motivation! Your avatar pic looks beast it would be cool to see some other competition photos. Keep training hard and I hope that your next competition goes great for you! I am sure with your hard work ethic you will earn your natural pro card in no time.

It won't be my only stop, I will be checking in to see your progress so keep at it! Hopefully I will be earning my Pro Card later on this year, I have a few events in mind I am pushing for so we will have to wait and see how it pans out.

zmcdole
05-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Matt, I met you back in March in Canada at Iovate. How's it going? How's the training? Just checking in hope things are going well.

Matt Cena
05-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Matt, I met you back in March in Canada at Iovate. How's it going? How's the training? Just checking in hope things are going well.

Thanks for checking in. Everything is going well, training and diet I feel are on course. I am narrowing down my 2010 debut as we speak, a few shows peak my interest but I want to make sure I am ready before I commit to anything.

Matt Cena
05-08-2010, 08:05 PM
5/7 Back and Traps

Last training session of our BFT Hybrid split:

Hammer Strength Pullovers: worked up to 360lbs for 2 sets with triple drops and EFR’s.

Hammer Strength Low Row: 180lbs for 2 sets here

Pulldowns Behind the neck: 130lbs for 2 sets

T Bar Rows: 25′s used for this in order to get a full contraction, 2 sets again

Hyper Extension Rows: 40′s for dumbells, 2 sets of 10 and this wrapped up the lat portion of our workout

Hammer STrength Machine Shrugs: 5plates each side plus Chris for the 1st set. Then a barbell with 2 45′s per side was added as well as 2 25′s that acted as wedges to keep the bar from hitting the bolt on the way up. Again Chris hopped ontop and the set was performed.

Taking the weekend off per say, calves , abs and cardio will still be trained. A little run down with a cold so sorry for the delay in posting the workout. Also sorry for the lack of detail but I figured I would get it posted as soon as possible.

Matt Cena
05-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Here is a link to the thread I have posted in the Training Methods Forum here at RX:

Beyond Failure Training (BFT) a.k.a. Demon Training - RX Muscle Forums

I will continue to add to it when I am able to, just wanted to give those who are unfamiliar with BFT an opportunity to learn more about the way of training and thought that has helped influence my bodybuilding career.

Matt Cena
05-10-2010, 11:37 AM
5/10 Chest, Biceps and Calves
Today's workout was back to basics:

Incline Barbell Bench Presses: 135lbs x 10, 225lbs x 3, 315lbs x 6 for 2 sets, 275lbs x 6

Hammer Strength Decline Presses: 270lbs x 10, 450lbs x 6, 360lbs x 6 for 2 sets

Incline Dumbell Flyes: 90's for 2 sets of 7, 100's set of 7

Free Motion Dual Stack Cable Crossovers: 40lbs x 2 sets 10

Straight Bar Cable Curls: 100lbs x 10, 140lbs x 10, 160lbs x 10, 170lbs x 8

Hammer Curls: 50's x 6 for 3 sets

Hammer Strength Machine Curl: 75lbs x 8 for 2 sets

Free Motion Dual Calf: 280lbs x 15, 340lbs x 12 for 2 sets (performed one leg at a time)

Still feeling a little run down and congested I managed to get to the gym for our 8 o'clock a.m. start time. Pleased with what I was able to accomplish today, all things considered, and will try hard to better my outing next Monday.

As you can see the workout has transitioned to more of a traditional volume approach. Being that I am run down with some sort of cold or allergy, coupled with the fact that I am dieting, it would have been hard to remain on the previous split any longer. My muscles were taxed, that split I will normally never go over 6 weeks with and that is when I can get as many calories in my system as possible and am performing little to no cardio so caloric expenditure is minimal.

crist90
05-12-2010, 02:06 PM
What kind of cardio do you prefer, longer lower intensity or shorter higher intensity?

Matt Cena
05-12-2010, 08:41 PM
What kind of cardio do you prefer, longer lower intensity or shorter higher intensity?

That's a good question crist90 and it actually depends on where I am at. The lower my bodyfat gets the less cardio I will do. The higher my bodyfat is I will do more cardio sessions but at a higher intensity.
I feel both cardio variations have their place in programs depending on the individuals current body fat percentages and goals.

Matt Cena
05-12-2010, 09:24 PM
5/11 Leg Training

Tuesday workout was legs and here is how we progressed:
Leg Extensions: 3 sets of 15 reps with 100lbs. These were used for warm up purposes only this week.
Hammer Strength V Squat: 8 plates for 10 reps 2 sets. 10 plates for 8 reps.
Smith Machine Hacks; 225lbs x 10 reps for 3 sets.
Smith Machine Vertical Leg Press: 10plates 10 reps 2 sets. 14plates for 8 reps. Sometimes you need to improvise and this was a great example. With training partners it is an easy fix to use the smith machine as a vertical leg press.
Hammer Strength Single Leg Extensions: 75lbs for 10 reps, 2 sets.
Leg Presses with feet high and wide: 250lbs for 10 reps. 400lbs for 10 reps 2 sets.
Lying Leg Curls: 140lbs for 3 sets of 10 reps.
The workout was complete and although I was still feeling subpar I am pleased with the way the workout progressed.

JayKurk
05-12-2010, 09:36 PM
cool thread,good workouts good luck on your prep. From the looks of your workouts you are doing your homework.good stuff

Matt Cena
05-12-2010, 09:54 PM
cool thread,good workouts good luck on your prep. From the looks of your workouts you are doing your homework.good stuff

Hey Jay, thank you very much for checking in and showing your support. I am very excited to see what I can bring this year.
I'll be in MA most of July and can hopefully get out to the Woburn are for a work out with you guys this year. I hope all is well with your training and wish you the best.

crist90
05-12-2010, 10:33 PM
are you planning on doing any shows in Florida any time soon?

JayKurk
05-13-2010, 07:29 AM
Thanks Matt, any time. I workout at a gym in North Hampton NH every day.A guy I train with spoke highly of you, I think he competed in the same show with you before. Carlos Renfro? He is a real good guy,did a bunch of shows last year,got his OCB card.

Matt Cena
05-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks Matt, any time. I workout at a gym in North Hampton NH every day.A guy I train with spoke highly of you, I think he competed in the same show with you before. Carlos Renfro? He is a real good guy,did a bunch of shows last year,got his OCB card.

I will keep in touch and when I am in Mass. I will definitely come up and train with you guys.
I have tremendous amount of respect for Carlos, he is a great guy and deserved to win his pro card in Cape Cod. I am glad I can say that I was there the day that happened. The man is a machine and consistently comes in dialed in every time he walks out on stage.Tell him I will be doing my best to get ready to train with you guys in July.

Matt Cena
05-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Sorry for the last two days, my schedule has been a little rough not leaving me the time I would like to update here. I need to take my wife out for the evening but I will try to get the last two workouts posted when I return later on tonight.

Matt Cena
05-15-2010, 08:50 AM
5/13 SHoulders and Triceps

After running around all day I had just enough time to get home, down a quick Nitro Tech shake and head out the door to the gym. Here is how the workout went:
Seated Dumbell Shoulder Press: warmed up with 30's, 80's and then hopped right into it. 115's. 120's and 125's for working sets.
Incline Rear Delt Raises: light dumbells are used for this exercise to ensure isolation of the rear delt. 25's for 3 sets.
Side Lateral Cable Raises: 3 sets of 12 reps in the Free Motion Dual stack machine concluded our shoulder portion of the workout.
Bodyweight Dips: slow controlled and strict for 3 sets here. There is no belt attachment to add weight at this gym.
Rope Pressdowns: 120lbs for 3 strict sets here. Really focusing on contracting the triceps to drive the weight to the bottom.
Reverse Grip Single Pressdowns: wrapped up the training session with these. The workout went great considering all that took place during the day.

Matt Cena
05-15-2010, 09:01 AM
5/14 Back, Traps, Calves
Bodyweight Pullups: 3 sets to failure
Dumbell Row: 75lbs for 3 sets
Machine Row: 3 sets, underhand grip.
Hyper Extensions: 3 sets superset with
Incline Cable Pulldowns: These put the finishing touches on our back workout.
Seated Cable Shrugs: 3 sets here on the seated row machine to hit a different angle.
Bent Over Trap Raises: light weight and isolated movement. 15lbs for 3 sets
Seated Calf Raises: 4 sets slow and controlled, 90lbs.

Matt Cena
05-16-2010, 04:50 PM
5/16 Off Day
Today is an off day from training so I have been recalculating the diet and cardio for the week as well as planning out exercise rotation for the upcoming week. I have posted a new update in the BFT Training thread. I am really looking forward to June and should have some good updates for the journal come that time, as of now everything is under wraps.

Matt Cena
05-17-2010, 08:17 PM
5/17 Chest, Biceps and Calves
Hammer Strength Incline Presses: 90lbs x 12, 180lbs x 12, 270x 4, 450lbs x failure for 2 sets
Smith Machine Bench Presses: 135lbs x 12, 365lbs x failure for 2 sets
Incline Dumbell Flyes: 105′s x 6, 110′s x 6
Single Arm Pec Deck: 135lbs x 12 for 2 sets
Lying Cable Curls: 130lbs x 10, 160lbs x 10
Lyning Cable Curls to Forehead: 130lbsx 10 for 2 sets
Single Arm Cable Hammer Curls: 40lbs x 8 for 2 sets
Seated Dumbell Curls: 55′s x 10
Leg Press Calf Raises: 180lbs x 12 for 2 sets single leg, 270lbs x 12 double calf raise
Changed the pace of the workout today. Tomorrow will be similar for legs, can’t wait until next weeks training session.

crist90
05-19-2010, 04:41 AM
Hey matt, im trying to work on my weak point which is my bi and tri's. I notice you got pretty big arms. Is that genetic or do you have any particular variation of exercise that helped make your arms grow?

Matt Cena
05-19-2010, 08:14 AM
5/18 Leg Training
The workout was simple, intense and to the point. The vertical leg presses definitely put pressure on the arch of your foot but when there is no Machine for the exercise you need to be able to improvise.

Smith Machine Vertical Leg Presses: 225lbs x 12, 315lbs x 6, 405lbs x 4, 675lbs x 6, 765lbs x 8

Leg Extensions: 200lbs x 12 for 3 sets

Reverse Hack Squats: 450lbs x 6, 540lbs x 8

High Foot Leg Presses: 400lbs x 8 for 3 sets

Lying Leg Curls: 125lbs x 15 varying foot placement, 180lbs x 6, 200lbs x 6, 210lbs x 6

Matt Cena
05-19-2010, 08:16 AM
Hey matt, im trying to work on my weak point which is my bi and tri's. I notice you got pretty big arms. Is that genetic or do you have any particular variation of exercise that helped make your arms grow?

crist90, I thank you for complimenting me on my arms, I would say part genetics and part hard work.
What does your current arm training look like? Rep ranges, sets, exercises, etc. Let me know and I will look at it and make some suggestions on what you could change or implement.

crist90
05-19-2010, 06:09 PM
crist90, I thank you for complimenting me on my arms, I would say part genetics and part hard work.
What does your current arm training look like? Rep ranges, sets, exercises, etc. Let me know and I will look at it and make some suggestions on what you could change or implement.

Right now I only do the fundamentals, barbell curls, cable curls, seated incline dumbbell curls. For tri's i stick with close grip bench press, dips, and cable pull downs. Im gonna begin to add in skull crushers. I usually superset these exercises so I will do a tri exercise then a bi exercise right after. I change the rep's and sets every week so one week I will do 3x15, next week 5x5, next week 4x10 ect.... I keep a log of how much weight I lift so I can see the weight is going up but my bi's and tri's are still not budging. I get a little more definition but thats about it. I always do everything with strict form and I try not to cheat since these are small muscle groups. I also tend to switch up exercises every month, month in a half. Im getting afraid cause I herd that arm's will not grow after a certain extent, but then I see you, skip lacour, Doug Miller, layne nortons arms and you guys are pushing 18 plus.

Matt Cena
05-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Right now I only do the fundamentals, barbell curls, cable curls, seated incline dumbbell curls. For tri's i stick with close grip bench press, dips, and cable pull downs. Im gonna begin to add in skull crushers. I usually superset these exercises so I will do a tri exercise then a bi exercise right after. I change the rep's and sets every week so one week I will do 3x15, next week 5x5, next week 4x10 ect.... I keep a log of how much weight I lift so I can see the weight is going up but my bi's and tri's are still not budging. I get a little more definition but thats about it. I always do everything with strict form and I try not to cheat since these are small muscle groups. I also tend to switch up exercises every month, month in a half. Im getting afraid cause I herd that arm's will not grow after a certain extent, but then I see you, skip lacour, Doug Miller, layne nortons arms and you guys are pushing 18 plus.

I don't know if I deserve to be mentioned in the same category as Skip, Doug and Layne, but I am honored that you think so.
As far as arms not growing I for one don't believe that to be true. Here is what I suggest:
-Drop the Super Sets. My reasoning: You want to put 100% into every exercise if you are trying to focus on building your arms, regardless of what pump you may get there is no way you can give 100% to the second exercise even though it is a different body part.
-Train one muscle group through then the other.
-Switch up the exercises: Bi's I would try: Hammer Curls, Cambered Bar Curls and Barbell Drag Curls. Use heavy enough weight where you get at least 6 reps. Go to failure each set, if you get more than 12 you didn't go heavy enough!
Tris:Overhead Tricep Extensions, Rope Pressdowns, Skull Crushers. Again go heavy and to failure!
-Hit triceps hard and try exercises that isolate your triceps more.
See how this pans out for you. train heavy and to the point of failure. You track your workouts so try to better your performance each time in the gym after all that is why you keep track right? Let me know how this works out for you.

Matt Cena
05-20-2010, 12:11 PM
5/20 Shoulders and Triceps

Dumbell Presses: 110′s x 10, 120′s x 8, 80′s x 6 plus 6 partials. with the 80′s the press was started and one arm was kept near lockout as the other arm pressed.
Lying Rear Lateral raises: 15lbs x 10, 20lbs x 10
Cable Upright Rows: 200lbs x 10 for 2 sets
Seated Front Raises superset Side Laterals: 30′s x 10, 35′s x 10
Cable Overhead Extensions: 200lbs x 10, 160lbs x 10 for 2 sets (switched from a bar to a rope for better isolation)
Rope Pressdowns: 120lbs x 10 for 2 sets
Low Incline Dumbell Ext.: performed in powerlifitng fashio 55′s x 10, 55′s x 8
This completed the workout. Again short sweet and to the point. Really looking forward to next week when training changes yet again!

Matt Cena
05-21-2010, 10:05 AM
5/21 Back Traps and Calves

Pullups: 3 sets bodyweight x 10

Hammer Strength High Pulldowns: 180lbs x 10, 230lbs x 8

Low Cable Rows: 140lbs x 10 for 2 sets

Incline Cable Pulldowns superset Stiff Arm Cable Pullovers: 200lbs x 10 ss 160lbs x 10, 200lbs x 10 ss 120lbs x 10

Hammer Strength Deadlifts: 450lbs x 6 for 2 sets

STiff Leg Cable Deads: 160lbs x 10, 120lbs x 10

Dumbell Shrugs: 125′s x 10-115′s x 10-105′s x 10-95′s x 10. no wraps so when my grip gave out that was the end of the set.

Free Motion Single Calf Raises: 240lbs x 10 for 3 sets

Workout went very well today and things change as of Monday.

flipper
05-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Hey Matt, great thread. Thanks for taking the time posting your journal. Met your brother a few days ago at my gym in Toronto. If you're ever in town let me know, I'll hook up with a training facility.

Matt Cena
05-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Hey Matt, great thread. Thanks for taking the time posting your journal. Met your brother a few days ago at my gym in Toronto. If you're ever in town let me know, I'll hook up with a training facility.

Thanks for checking in and I am glad you are enjoying the journal. I will definitely let you know if I am up in the Toronto area and truly appreciate the offer.

joedemarco
05-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Great job, Matt. Keep plugging away!

Matt Cena
05-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Great job, Matt. Keep plugging away!

Thanks Joe, I'm trying. I have a few more things I would like to sharpen up such as legs a little more prior to my first stage appearance. We'll see how it goes.

Matt Cena
05-24-2010, 10:31 AM
5/24 Chest and Biceps

Incline Smith Machine Presses: 135lbsx 10, 225lbs x 4, 315lbs x 6+2, 275lbs x 10, 275lbs x8+2, 275lbs x 7+1
Life Fitness Presses: 200lbs x 12 for 2 sets, 190lbs x 12
Free Motion Chest Flyes Seated: 70lbs x 12, 90lbs x 12, 80lbs x 12
Upright Cable Crossovers: 60lbs x 12 for 3 sets
Standing Dumbell Curls: 40′s x 10 for 3 sets
Incline Spyder Curls: 35′s x 10 for 3 sets
Hammer Strength High Curls: 60lbs x 12 for 2 sets
Reverse Cambered Bar Curls: 50lbs x 12, 70lbs x 10 for 2 sets

Matt Cena
05-26-2010, 01:48 PM
5/25 Legs
Belt Squats: 45lbs x 10, 90lbs x 10, 180lbs x 10, 225lbs x 10

Hammer Strength Leg Presses: three sets of presses, then 12 plates by 50 reps

Star Trac Leg Extensions: 165lbs x 10 for 3 sets

Standing Leg Curls: 40lbs x 10 for 3 sets

-from the start of the workout I was light headed so it was not my best day. I feel better having gone in and trained then skipping the day.

Matt Cena
06-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Hey guys, sorry for the delay in posting updates.
Brief Synopsis:
Training has been going well, weights are still up as is bodyweight. Bodyfat levels spiked slowly so I again tweaked the diet and cardio to try and bring them back down. I have a few contests in mind in the very near future, as in next week or so. Everything is under wraps right now as I assess and make the final decision.

HammerStrength12
06-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Hammer Strength Leg Presses: three sets of presses, then 12 plates by 50 reps

Is that the one where you sit down, kind of straight up, not at the 45 degree angle and press your legs forward? That's a damn hard machine

Matt Cena
06-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Is that the one where you sit down, kind of straight up, not at the 45 degree angle and press your legs forward? That's a damn hard machine

I know the piece of equipment you are referencing but that isn't the one we used. The leg press we used was a 45 degree press with a very awkward release mechanism and two tiers per side for plate loading. I definitely would not go to absolute failure on this piece of equipment due to racking difficulties.

Matt Cena
06-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Shoulders and Triceps today
-Military Presses
-Side Laterals
-Dumbell Extensions
-Cambered Bar Pressdowns

Short, sweet and to the point

Matt Cena
06-04-2010, 04:58 PM
6/4 Back Traps Rear Delts
-V Bar Chinups
-Dumbell Rows
-Pullover Machine
-Dumbell Shrugs
-Rear Delt Dumbell Flyes

I am only listing the exercises as I am still trying to comprehend how to put it into words.
I have had the honor of being put through training sessions by none other than IFBB Pro Ian Harrison. TO attempt to describe the workouts wouldn't do them justice. This man has redefined intensity for me. His knowledge and training experiences which he has shared with me will without a doubt change both my physique and my training.

HammerStrength12
06-05-2010, 08:47 PM
I know the piece of equipment you are referencing but that isn't the one we used. The leg press we used was a 45 degree press with a very awkward release mechanism and two tiers per side for plate loading. I definitely would not go to absolute failure on this piece of equipment due to racking difficulties.

I gotcha. That's just the only hammer strength leg press I've ever seen

fltallpaul
06-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Hey Matt what Gym do you train at?

Matt Cena
06-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Hey Matt what Gym do you train at?

Paul, I will be training all week at City Fitness in Bradenton. After this week I am on the road for a little while so my schedule is all over the place.

fltallpaul
06-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Paul, I will be training all week at City Fitness in Bradenton. After this week I am on the road for a little while so my schedule is all over the place.

Ok I am going to train at Powerhouse in North Tampa for a few days was wondering if you ever get there. Another time perhaps.

Matt Cena
06-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Ok I am going to train at Powerhouse in North Tampa for a few days was wondering if you ever get there. Another time perhaps.

Paul, I will be training Shoulders and Triceps on Thursday but I don't know if that works for you.

Matt Cena
06-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Today’s Workout:
Low Incline Dumbell Flyes 3 sets
Hammer Strength Incline Presses 3 sets
Preacher Curls 4 sets
The workout was another intensity high for me. I will be training legs with Ian tommorow and I can’t wait for the abuse!!

HammerStrength12
06-07-2010, 10:50 PM
What sort of weight/type of rep scheme are you using for the hammer strength inclines? I like that machine a lot

raylove
06-08-2010, 01:09 AM
hey matt when you started this thread were you offseason or precontest? and have you always been a strong dude cuz for natty lifts like those its hella impressive man many kudos to you? hopefully soon ill get to your level

Matt Cena
06-08-2010, 08:17 AM
What sort of weight/type of rep scheme are you using for the hammer strength inclines? I like that machine a lot

Hey Hammer, the rep scheme was as many as I could get while maintaining proper form for maximum tension on the chest. Once my form deviated that was it.

hey matt when you started this thread were you offseason or precontest? and have you always been a strong dude cuz for natty lifts like those its hella impressive man many kudos to you? hopefully soon ill get to your level

raylove, thanks for checking in and showing your support. I just looked back and I started the thread on April 27 and I am scheduled to compete very soon, so I guess the answer would be it has not been an off season thread, yet.
I thank you for the kind words and feel as though my strength has always been an attribute which has now been heightened due to my training requirements. Again thank you for checking in and I am sure if you stay the path you will get to the level that I am at.
I am making things official to be trained by Ian Harrison on a regular basis after my contest season is over, this means the elevator is going up and I will be departing from my current level.

fltallpaul
06-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Hey Matt I trained at Powerhouse on N. Florida near Fletcher on Monday and Tuesday. I am guessing this isn't the powerhouse you train at. Layne said there is another on in Tampa as well that's really big.

Perhaps next time. Hope training is going well.

Matt Cena
06-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Hey Matt I trained at Powerhouse on N. Florida near Fletcher on Monday and Tuesday. I am guessing this isn't the powerhouse you train at. Layne said there is another on in Tampa as well that's really big.

Perhaps next time. Hope training is going well.

Yeah, that's ok though. Perhaps one of these days we will be able to get together for training. Regardless, I wish you much continued success with your bodybuilding career you have a tremendous physique.

Leg day went as follows:
Leg Press Toe Presses
Seated Calf Raises
Seated Hamstring Curls
Stiff Legged Deadlifts
Leg Extensions
Hack Squats
It was a tremendous workout and I wish that I could have pushed just that extra bit harder through. The workout got the better of me today.

Costco77
06-09-2010, 11:35 AM
matt what's your supplementation and diet like, offseason, cutting, maintenance?

...and what weak bodyparts are you working to bring up?

Matt Cena
06-09-2010, 04:57 PM
matt what's your supplementation and diet like, offseason, cutting, maintenance?

...and what weak bodyparts are you working to bring up?

Hey Costco77, I am trying to bring up everything! I am pleased with what I have been able to achieve up until this point but am also focused on making some major improvements over the up and coming year.

I am currently using Muscle Tech supplements.
My diet is very simple: egg whites, oatmeal, chicken breast, potato, salad and tuna.
When cutting I try to reduce the carbs I take in while keeping the training high intensity so that I can keep cardio work to a bare minimum, if this makes sense to anyone.

Costco77
06-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Hey Costco77, I am trying to bring up everything! I am pleased with what I have been able to achieve up until this point but am also focused on making some major improvements over the up and coming year.

I am currently using Muscle Tech supplements.
My diet is very simple: egg whites, oatmeal, chicken breast, potato, salad and tuna.
When cutting I try to reduce the carbs I take in while keeping the training high intensity so that I can keep cardio work to a bare minimum, if this makes sense to anyone.

Makes sense to me...that's pretty much what i try to do. Are you cutting, bulking, maintenance?

Matt Cena
06-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Makes sense to me...that's pretty much what i try to do. Are you cutting, bulking, maintenance?

Currently and this is somewhat of a tricky answer but I am maintaining so that I can evaluate the improvements I need to make for my next contest. I will be competing very shortly and am trying to gauge my precontest week prep as I am sorting everything out myself on this one. If I am successful with the approach I will make some adjustments and get ready to fine tune the prep for my next event. If I come in very much off then it's back to the diet and training logs to see where I might have strayed or what stresses may have caused my body to react they way it did.

joedemarco
06-15-2010, 07:18 AM
Had the pleasure of running into Matt at Hard Nock's gym yesterday afternoon. For you guys following this thread, I just wanted to say that this guy is the Real Deal. A real genetic freak...full muscle bellies, no waist...

Matt, like I told you yesterday, your improvements from last September are tremendous. You step onstage with your conditioning dialed in and you will have that pro card. Keep training hard brother.

Matt Cena
06-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Had the pleasure of running into Matt at Hard Nock's gym yesterday afternoon. For you guys following this thread, I just wanted to say that this guy is the Real Deal. A real genetic freak...full muscle bellies, no waist...

Matt, like I told you yesterday, your improvements from last September are tremendous. You step onstage with your conditioning dialed in and you will have that pro card. Keep training hard brother.

Joe, it was great to see you and I am honored by your assessment and kind words. I am striving for that card and hoping to dial every thing in for the next go around.
Anytime you would like to meet up for a workout in Nock's let me know, it would be a pleasure to train with you. Keep going as you are making great strides and I can't wait to see the final product at your return.

Matt Cena
06-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Well, I competed last weekend in the OCB Judgement Day Competition. I placed 5th in the Men's Open B Class. Since last year I have added 25lbs to my competition frame thanks to the help of Muscle Tech supplements but didn't have the level of conditioning that the judges felt I needed to display. I will be focusing on sharpening my physique up for my future competitions.

chrism26
06-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Any other shows coming up

NATURAL-1987
06-25-2010, 12:16 PM
I was told the same thing my last show buddy. Kind of sucks because it is bodyBUILDING and I think too much attention gets put on conditioning sometimes....I am doing an INBF show next and they actually have 3 rounds. Symetry, Muscle Mass(Not sure if this is the exact wording), and condtioning. I will definately be tighter this time because I always seem to tap into more fat stores each time I diet....but wont have to worry about trying to get stupid shredded and losing mass because size will count as well. It will be my 4th federation, 8th show and hopefully I will find my "home" so to speak. Put up some pics when you have a chance buddy.

chrism26
06-25-2010, 01:05 PM
I I expedited at the cape and saw pics from this show and u weren't at ur best and the conditioning u need to bring is closer to what u braught to the yankee

Matt Cena
06-25-2010, 02:06 PM
I I expedited at the cape and saw pics from this show and u weren't at ur best and the conditioning u need to bring is closer to what u braught to the yankee

I completely agree, I by no means was anywhere near my best at that event nor am I claiming that I was just to clarify that. I will be dieting more and making the necessary changes I need to harden up more. My dilemma is this, I was going to compete in both OCB and NPC shows again this year but the criteria is slightly different. I have decided to continue competing in the OCB and wanted feedback on what I need to improve for that federation as all federations have different criteria as was mentioned by another member.

I will be improving each time out now that I have a better understanding of what is expected from bodybuilders in the OCB. I thank you for your feedback as well and am working hard to bring an even better package to my next Pro Qualifier.

Lean Physique
06-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Matt- i was one of the judges at both of your show (john) and spoke with you after the show in northhampton. I really hope to see you at the yankee dialed in because you have such great potential it would be a shame to see you not fulfill your potential. if i can be of any more assisitance please ask. Best of lcuk.
John

Matt Cena
06-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Matt- i was one of the judges at both of your show (john) and spoke with you after the show in northhampton. I really hope to see you at the yankee dialed in because you have such great potential it would be a shame to see you not fulfill your potential. if i can be of any more assisitance please ask. Best of lcuk.
John

Hey John, thank you for taking the time to speak with me after the show. I truly appreciate the feedback and have changed my diet as well as training and cardio. I also thank you for checking in on my thread and providing your feedback here. I am trying my best to get my physique to the level of conditioning that you had informed me I need to be at.

Lean Physique
06-28-2010, 11:22 PM
Hoping to see you in Newburyport on target,you definately have the goods to make it to the next level.
John

HammerStrength12
07-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Congrats on the placing Matt

Matt Cena
07-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Hoping to see you in Newburyport on target,you definately have the goods to make it to the next level.
John

Thanks again for the feedback John. I have been doing everything I can possibly think of and have sharpened up with many improvements since the Bay State already. I just need to stay on track for the next couple weeks with my progression and I should end up nailing the conditioning this go around.

GuidedByScience
07-09-2010, 01:07 AM
hey Matt how are you? we used to talk a lot on mayhem(determined1)
how are you? I saw John a few weeks ago outside a show and we talked for a min and asked how you were doing!

glad to have found this thread!

Matt Cena
07-09-2010, 12:58 PM
hey Matt how are you? we used to talk a lot on mayhem(determined1)
how are you? I saw John a few weeks ago outside a show and we talked for a min and asked how you were doing!

glad to have found this thread!

Thanks for checking in man, glad you have found the thread. I am well as I hope you are also. Things are getting bust with contests coming up and all other kinds of engagements but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I apologize to everyone for the lack of updates. I have been very focused on training and dieting for my next upcoming event which will be here in a few weeks. I feel as though I have brought up the areas of concerns expressed by the judges at my last outing and am putting together the finishing touches. I can't wait to show them the improved version and see the end results.

GuidedByScience
07-09-2010, 04:12 PM
for me personally,the crazier the schedule the easier it is to stay focused.

downtime is what usually kills me!

what is the next show btw?

Matt Cena
07-12-2010, 09:19 AM
for me personally,the crazier the schedule the easier it is to stay focused.

downtime is what usually kills me!

what is the next show btw?

I will be on stage in less than 2 weeks at an IFPA Pro Qualifying Event. I have decided that I am going to give it one more solid run before rethinking my bodybuilding career.

Matt Cena
07-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Trying my best to bring in the best possible package on July 24th for the OCB Yankee Classic and a shot at the IFPA Pro Card.

GuidedByScience
07-14-2010, 01:35 AM
looking big while leaning out quite a bit Matt,keep up the hard work.

Full steam ahead! these last couple weeks you can really do some more damage!

again,keep up the great work!!

zewski92
07-14-2010, 12:51 PM
hey matt! your a huge inspiration to me! i was just wondering if you ever used the fstt-7 method of training. and if so what are your thoughts on it for a natural bodybuilder

Matt Cena
07-14-2010, 11:41 PM
hey matt! your a huge inspiration to me! i was just wondering if you ever used the fstt-7 method of training. and if so what are your thoughts on it for a natural bodybuilder

Hello zewski92, first off I am honored to know that in some way I inspire you and I thank you for your kind words.

I have not used the FST7 Training method but I will say this, if you believe in it then go for it. I don't feel that there is a program for naturals vs a program for enhanced. I think that both sides of the sport can and will benefit from training to their maximum intensity and if FST7 brings out your maximum intensity then by all means implements the system regardless of what others think or say. I personally believe in Beyond Failure Training and have been told such things as "You can't recover from that" "The workouts are not meant to put enough stress on your body with such few sets" "only guys on drugs can do that" and "you are wasting your time the system doesn't work otherwise everyone would be doing it". I have been implementing the system with better comprehension and I feel the results will speak for themselves come contest day.

zewski92
07-15-2010, 08:56 AM
thanks for your words of wisdom matt. i really appreciate it.

Matt Cena
07-15-2010, 02:49 PM
thanks for your words of wisdom matt. i really appreciate it.

I hope it helped and please keep me updated on your results from whatever program you choose to adhere to.

I am competing July 24th in the OCB Yankee Classic which is an IFPA Pro Qualifying Event. This means should I be able to pull down an Overall Victory, which I narrowly missed last year to Phil Maurice, I will earn my Natural Pro Card! I am very excited and am doing everything within my power to make this happen.

Training has been going great and I feel as though without a doubt this will be the best physique that I have been able to display onstage ever. We will see what the outcome is next Saturday but I am very focused and working hard.

Matt Cena
07-16-2010, 12:02 PM
7/16 Shoulders and Triceps
Standing Cable Laterals 2 sets
-used for warmup purposes only
Seated Barbell Presses to the front
2 drop sets
Side Lateral Raises
2 drop sets
Cable Pressdowns
2 drop sets
Incline Skull Crushers
Cable Press Downs
Dumbell Kickbacks
1 Triset
Reverse Cable Press Downs
2 sets

Tomorrow will be exactly 1 week from the show, I am working on something for the thread tomorrow and should have a decent update. Sorry for the lack of updates but I have relocated with my wife back to Massachusetts among many other things going on right now and training for the show it has left my time on the short side.

NATURAL-1987
07-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Keep pursuing the dream my friend! I am actually real impressed with how you stay up on your updates for us bro..looking forward to reading tomorrow.

Matt Cena
07-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Sorry guys but the gameplan was to get good video of yesterdays workout and place clips here within the thread which did not go so well.

Back and Traps
Wide Grip Chins
-3 sets
BodyMasters Rows
-2 sets
Reverse Grip Pulldowns
-3 sets
Dumbell Rows
-3 sets
Stiff Arm Pulldowns superset Hyperextensions
-3 sets
Barbell Shrugs superset with DUmbell Shrugs
-3 sets

Sandpig
07-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Hey Matt, good luck and keep up the good work.

Matt Cena
07-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Hey Matt, good luck and keep up the good work.

Thanks for checking in Sandpig and for voicing your support. I am trying very hard to bring in the best possible physique that I can. I feel as though to date I have done that and hopefully my placing at the show will reflect my hard work. Either way though, I know at this point I am the best that I can be and that is all I can ask.

Sunday was a day off for me, kind of. I flew to Toronto for my Muscle Tech after pictures, which I was pleased with.

Monday Chest and Biceps
-Hammer STrength Inclines
2 sets
Dumbell Flyes, Low Incline
2 sets
Cable Crossovers
2 sets
Seated Dumbell Alternate Curls
2 sets
-DONE! I was fatigued and very happy that I pushed through what I did. Flyes, I got up to 100's on and was pleased.

The flight back from Toronto was awful and I ended up home around 2 a.m. Kind of threw today off by a hair but nothing I could do.

Matt Cena
07-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Hey everyone, to my surprise pictures of me from 3 weeks out are up in the muscle central section. Anyone interested should feel free to view them and provide your honest assessment. Don't be bashful, I won't be offended.

Matt Cena
07-27-2010, 05:06 PM
I had competed this past weekend in the OCB Yankee Classic in hopes of an IFPA Pro Card Qualification. While I was fortunate enough to be able to win my class, I was unable to secure an overall victory which would have qualified me for the Pro Card.

I am uncertain at this time as to where and when I will be competing as I have a fair amount going on in my personal life and had really pushed myself to my limit for this last competition. I thank everyone who checked in along the way and this is not over yet, it will be continued. For how long though, that is the question...........

NATURAL-1987
07-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Congrats on winning your class. Keep doing what you need to do and never give up on your goals.

AVBG
07-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Excellent effort Matt.. You have a mad build the next step is an overall victory...

J Franco
07-28-2010, 06:24 AM
Excellent effort Matt.. You have a mad build the next step is an overall victory...

Agreed! If you have some left, go for another show Matt.
But I for one understand about personal life as that is top in my books.

joedemarco
07-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Great job, Matt!

GuidedByScience
07-28-2010, 05:30 PM
great work Matt! regardless of what you decide to do keep hitting it as hard as you can in the gym! fanastic work either way and you should be proud!

Matt Cena
07-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Congrats on winning your class. Keep doing what you need to do and never give up on your goals.

Natural-1987, thank you for your ongoing support and encouragement. I have discussed things with my wife but have not yet committed to any event as of yet.

AVBG, thank you as well. You have been here since the start of this thread and provided much support and encouragement in my journey to becoming a Natural Pro. I will keep pressing on and doing the best I can.

Agreed! If you have some left, go for another show Matt.
But I for one understand about personal life as that is top in my books.

Joe, thank you for checking in and showing your support. I am still working out details as I had agreed with my wife July 24th would be the end of the road. I beat myself up pretty good over the past few weeks but I have a feeling that I can be better, so only time will tell. I am eagerly anticipating an entry to The Battle For The Belt but need to get things in order here first. Again thanks for checking in and for your support.

Great job, Matt!

Joe, thank you. It has been great to catch you on occasion tearing it up at Hard Nock's. I thank you for coming by and voicing your support.

great work Matt! regardless of what you decide to do keep hitting it as hard as you can in the gym! fanastic work either way and you should be proud!

GuidedByScience, thank you. I truly appreciate your kind words of encouragement and support. I am training as hard, if not harder, than ever in the gym. Partly because that's all I know how to do and partly because I still have a dream to achieve.
Thank you again for the support.

DAVIDHARDY
08-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Good thread. Props on continuing prepping while moving and dealing with personal issues. Hearing people do things like that really drives me to do my best, no matter what.

crist90
08-06-2010, 12:16 AM
congrats on winning, keep the journal going.

SwoleChamp
08-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Congrats bro! Keep it up and continue your journal! Its always inspiring to read others journals throughout competition time!

GuidedByScience
08-19-2010, 03:22 PM
indeed,please keep it up every so often even!

Matt Cena
11-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Sorry for the lack of updates but a lot has been going on with me and still is.
Figured I would drop by real quick and post an update on my top lifts as of now:
Bench 435lbs
Squat 500lbs
Deadlift 545lbs

Shifting the training style for a while and just focusing more on getting stronger. I will be able to give better updates soon.

Matt Cena
11-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Monday:
Bench Presses with Chains
Overhead Tricep Extensions
Inverted Rows
Shoulder Presses
Dumbbell Curls

Tuesday:
Squats with chains
Deadlifts with Bands
Dimmel Deadlifts
Dumbbell Reverse Hypers
Standing Calf Raises

current bodyweight: 235lbs

Matt Cena
11-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Training is going great, working on some power training as of now and trying to learn as much as I can about the Westside Barbell approach. Possibly looking into a powerlifting meet after the new year starts.

AVBG
11-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Good to see ya 'round Matt. So when you getting back into the trunks? You're so close last time!

Matt Cena
11-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Good to see ya 'round Matt. So when you getting back into the trunks? You're so close last time!

Thanks AVBG. As of now, I have no ambitions to return to the stage. I am focusing on bringing up quite a few areas that I feel I need to develop. Once this happens I will evaluate what show will be next but until I make the improvements that I am after I won't be on any stage.

Matt Cena
11-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Training highlight from Friday's workout was a 905lb Rack Pull without straps. I have been told many times to ditch the straps and I have recently taken that advice. It took about a month to get to where I was with straps and now I am above that mark.

drmarkp
11-28-2010, 10:08 AM

So are you natural Cena?

MiamiMadePunk
11-28-2010, 10:46 AM
So are you natural Cena?
Yes, he's natural and he's also the brother of wwe superstar john cena.

DAVIDHARDY
11-29-2010, 04:05 AM
Very strong natty! That's inspirational!

Matt Cena
12-01-2010, 11:23 AM
So are you natural Cena?

Yes I am, if I wasn't I would have posted the thread in another section of the forum.
You can not believe me, which is fine or you can believe me, which is also fine. At the end of the day I sleep the same.

Matt Cena
12-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Yes, he's natural and he's also the brother of wwe superstar john cena.

Hey risktaker, thanks for checking in and thanks for clearing the issue up, sorry I got here late for a response.
Hope all is well with your training and thanks for the support.

Matt Cena
12-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Very strong natty! That's inspirational!

Thanks DAVIDHARDY for the kind words of encouragement, I am focusing on bringing my strength up as I feel I have a long way to go in that department.
I have been fortunate to be able to train with Billy Courtney, who won the APF Nationals years ago in the 165lb class. He has helped me with my strength and I am pleased with the results. I am also lucky to have Erik Nock, Mike, Lou and Brian as a bench crew to help push me as much as possible on that lift as well.

Matt Cena
12-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Hit 455lbs on reverse grip bench presses last night. Very happy with the progress so far.

Tonight we used a device know to some as a Hungarian Core Blaster, great training device for hamstrings glutes and lower back strength.

Lean Physique
12-15-2010, 12:05 AM
Matt is natural and one heck of a bodybuilder. Matt i hope you dont give up on the stage i know you can get that card.
John

Matt Cena
12-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Matt is natural and one heck of a bodybuilder. Matt i hope you dont give up on the stage i know you can get that card.
John

Thank you very much for the kind words of encouragement and support John. I will be working extremely hard at developing strength and bringing up all of my weak points to where I feel confident for a stage return.

Matt Cena
03-08-2014, 12:35 PM
It's been a long time since my last post and I was out of the gym for quite some time. I now have two beautiful daughters and a corporate job which occupied 100% of my time. I have recently returned to the gym, going on week three as of Monday. I am slowly getting back into the swing of things and will be posting updates here as to my progress.

Curt James
03-08-2014, 01:27 PM
It's been a long time since my last post and I was out of the gym for quite some time. I now have two beautiful daughters and a corporate job which occupied 100% of my time. I have recently returned to the gym, going on week three as of Monday. I am slowly getting back into the swing of things and will be posting updates here as to my progress.

Congratulations on your daughters, the job, and returning to the gym!

Matt Cena
03-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Thanks Curt, I appreciate the support.
Looking forward to seeing how fast I will be able to get it back

Matt Cena
03-08-2014, 04:04 PM
This was a picture taken prior to my last competition, I look forward to not only regaining this condition but surpassing it.

Matt Cena
03-09-2014, 01:02 PM
3/9/14
Biceps, Traps, Abs, Calves
Life Fitness Curl Machine
2 warmups
1 drop set with 3 drops
Standing Dumbbell Hammer Curls
1 set with 3 drops
Hammer Strength Shrugs
3 sets
Hanging Leg Raises
3 sets
Ab Bench Crunches
3 sets
Rotary Calf Presses
1 set 100 reps

I am still trying to acclimate my body to resistance training again so nothing too crazy or stressful yet. I will be running through this whole week in a similar fashion and see where i stand come Friday to determine next week's training protocol.

Matt Cena
03-12-2014, 03:36 PM
3/10/14
CHEST
LifeFitness Pec Flyes
2 warm ups
1 drop set with 4 drops
LifeFitness Seated Chest Press
2 warmups
1 drop set with 4 drops
Cybex Peck Flyes
3 sets

Matt Cena
03-12-2014, 06:43 PM
I felt compelled to post this article written by the late Trevor Smith in regards to returning after a layoff:
RETURNING FROM A LAYOFF....THE DO'S AND DON'TS TO GET BACK INTO THE GROOVE
by Trevor L. Smith
Let's face it...IT SUCKS! After a long layoff, whethe rit is intentional or due to illness or injury, it can be very frustrating due to the fact hat you are constantly reminded that you are not where you were before in terms of size, strength, and condtion. However, layoffs are often out of our control and also neccessary to avoid burnout. So let's talk about a few things that invariably come up when coming off a layoff, and how to make the transition from being relatively sedentary to getting back to your physical form before the layoff-and even surpassing it-a smooth one.
Too Much...Too Fast...Too Soon:
This is a problem that can result in giving you a quick return to another layoff or even a permanent one, if you are careless enough. Here's the scenario: A bodybuilder comes down with the flu while he is in the middle of a mass course. Everything is going great...he is stronger than ever, bigger than ever and leaner than ever. On top of the world! Then it hits...at first it seems just to be a slight cold...but reality quickly sets in: INFLUENZA! Now, instead of realizing that you cannot do anything but rest, most bosybuilders will try and continue to train until it is physically impossible, instead of listening to their bodies and giving it a rest...FROM EVERYTHING. I am amazed at the questions I have received. "Trevor, I am sick with the flu and I can't train...but I am in the middle of a cycle...should I continue taking the drugs? I don't want to lose size." Man oh man...God help these idiots. Lose size? You are sick with a virus that kills thousands and thousands of people each year and you are worried about losing size? the only thing you can and should do when you have the Flu is rest, and drink lots and lots of liquids. If you are in the middle of a steroid cycle, stop everything...the drugs will not work. Your body is not going to worry about building muscle while it fights off a virus such as influenza. Do yourself a favor and realize that you will be down for a minimum of two weeks...possibly three...and do everything you can to assist your body in the recovery process. Instead, the typical bodybuilder is so insecure about losing size, that they will rest until they feel the slightest bit better... then return to the gym... going through an unproductive workout and best of all, causing the virus or illness to linger for a longer time period. Instead of resting 2-3 weeks and being sure your body is fully recovered...they wind up getting pneumonia on top of things and are out for 3 months. Then they really will have something to cry about in terms of "losing size." Be smart when you are returning from a layoff. be sure that you are fully functioning and healthy and completely ready to return to the gym...physically and mentally.
Feeling Depressed/Sad Because You Aren't Where You Want To Be:
It is tough climbing back up the mountain once you are on top, but such is life. You cannot make a continual climb to the top. Sometimes, when you reach new heights, you must take a few steps back to see where you have been and to see where you are going. It is quite normal to feel a bit depressed when you hit your first new workouts after a layoff. Understand that it is all a process and that soon you will be right back to where you were and if you train hard enough...even better than you were before. One of the treasures of a layoff is that it causes you to examine your ego and learn to disgaurd it as the useless entity that it is. Your ego is what is causing the feeling of depression of inadequacy that comes over you when you see people who you are normally bigger than or stronger than who are now bigger and stronger than you since your layoff. Instead of festering with these feelings, view these people who are now ahead of you as inspirtion. Do this and they won't be ahead of you for long, I gurantee it! But if you go home, get frusterated, angered, think you can remedy the situation by pushing yourself too hard and start injecting greater than normal amounts of gear, you are only fooling yourself.
Losing Patience:
This was touched upon in the above paragraph, but we shall get a little more detailed here. Look, there is nothing you can do except doing. Wanting things to move faster than they are going will accomplish nothing. Simply put, it is going to take you some time to build back to where you were before your layoff. Not much time, but it will still take time, and you will be better served if you realize this and enjoy your journey, rather than looking at the clock and waiting to arrive at your destination.
Look, nobody is a machine...and machines aren't even machines in that they need down time, repairs and maintenance just as we do. Layoffs are going to occur. Sometimes they will be self imposed (these are the ones we like) and other times they are not of our doing (illness or injury). The bottom line is that you must realize that they represent an opportunity for you to surpass where you were before and also afford you the opportunity to see what you are made of. After all, you have a choice on whether you are going to sit there and whine about the layoff, or you can go about making it work for you and improve yourself. Good luck!

Matt Cena
03-13-2014, 02:10 PM
3/13/14 Hamstrings, Quadriceps, Calves
Lying Leg Curls
3 sets
Standing Single Leg Cybex Curls
3 sets
Single Leg Extensions Hammer Strength Plate Loaded
3 sets
Horizontal Leg Presses
3 sets
Rotary Calf Raises
3 sets

My family got hit with a bout of the flu so I had no training Tuesday or Wednesday. Today was a quick workout just to get in in, get some blood to the target areas and get on out. I achieved this.

Matt Cena
03-15-2014, 08:48 AM
I, along with the rest of my family, had the flu this week. I won't be back at the gym until Monday at the earliest as I need to be sure I am rested enough to recover from the workouts I will be performing.

Matt Cena
03-18-2014, 03:47 PM
3/17/14
Chest
Cybex Pec Machne Flyes
50lbs x20
100lbs x20
175lbs x12-150x8-125x6-100x8
Smith Machine Low Incline Presses
135lbs x 20
225lbs x 8-185lbs x 6-135lbs x 6
Hammer Strength MTS Incline
30lbs x 30 reps

The workout was at a reasonably fast pace with little rest in between. After coming off the flu last week I wanted to make sure that I stressed my target muscle group but did not annihilate it to the point where recovery would be compromised. I was pleased with the end result.

D-NUTZ
03-18-2014, 04:06 PM
Nice thread, Matt.

Are you a fan of using slight angles on incline/decline presses? I've noticed it always feels a lot better than steeper angles.

Glad to hear you and the family are feeling better.

Matt Cena
03-19-2014, 07:34 AM
Nice thread, Matt.

Are you a fan of using slight angles on incline/decline presses? I've noticed it always feels a lot better than steeper angles.

Glad to hear you and the family are feeling better.

Thanks for checking in D-Nutz.

I prefer less of an incline for flyes or presses. When I am able to I will also use a decline bench with a slight angle but most are manufactured to a certain angle. I feel the more of an incline I work on the tougher it is to really focus on my chest and the stress starts to migrate into my shoulders, although I will on occasion use higher incline simply for variation.

Matt Cena
03-22-2014, 09:00 AM
3/18
Calves, Hamstrings, Quads
Rotary Calf Raises
3 sets
final set drop sets and 10 top partial reps to finish
Standing Calf Raises
2 sets 8 reps
-2 second pause at the bottom slow contraction to the top
Seated Hamstring Curls
3 sets
final set drop set and 10 partial reps
Standing 1 Leg Curls
2 sets 8 reps
Leg Extensions
3 sets
final set drop set, 10 partial reps for top portion of movement
Single Leg Leg Presses
2 sets

Matt Cena
03-22-2014, 09:04 AM
3/20
Back
Lat Pulldowns
3 sets
Hammer Strength MTS High Row
3 sets
Dumbbell Rows
3 sets
Low Back Extension
3 sets

I have not been recovering through the workouts so now I am evaluating my nutrition program. Putting your body through the rigors of training is the easy part for me, the difficult portion is ensuring that everything is lined up outside of the gym i.e. sleep, nutrition, stress, in order to have those sessions be productive and not destructive.

I took yesterday off as my chest was still sore as was my legs and back. I really need to focus on my nutritional requirements as I know given the right nutrients my body will rebound quick. I am planning on relying heavily on protein shakes for at least 3 "meals" per day and will get the remaining meals as whole food options.

Curt James
03-22-2014, 12:29 PM
the difficult portion is ensuring that everything is lined up outside of the gym i.e. sleep, nutrition, stress, in order to have those sessions be productive and not destructive.

How much sleep do you normally get in a day? I get six at best but then supplement with naps.

What kind of stress enters your life? I teach in an elementary school in an inner city. Lots of angels, but more than a few stress-creating kiddos, too. Plus the photocopier is just BEGGING for a beating!

D-NUTZ
03-22-2014, 02:56 PM
How much sleep do you normally get in a day? I get six at best but then supplement with naps.

What kind of stress enters your life? I teach in an elementary school in an inner city. Lots of angels, but more than a few stress-creating kiddos, too. Plus the photocopier is just BEGGING for a beating!

Who me? Couldn't be.

D-NUTZ
03-22-2014, 02:57 PM
Thanks for checking in D-Nutz.

I prefer less of an incline for flyes or presses. When I am able to I will also use a decline bench with a slight angle but most are manufactured to a certain angle. I feel the more of an incline I work on the tougher it is to really focus on my chest and the stress starts to migrate into my shoulders, although I will on occasion use higher incline simply for variation.

Anytime man.

I've noticed the same. Slight angles allow me to keep the stress on the target area.

Curt James
03-22-2014, 06:12 PM
Who me? Couldn't be.

lol Not you. Eight-year-olds!

Excuse the hijack. I blame D-NUTZ!

Matt Cena
03-23-2014, 09:04 AM

Curt,

As far as sleep goes, 6 is at best. I unfortunately do not get the option for naps with my situation and two young children (3 and 1). I had been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea years ago and have been using a CPAP as often as possible but find it difficult when I have any type of congestion or head cold.

In regards to the stress aspect just the regular stress for a 33 year old in the executive field. Operations Management for an executive livery company with over 200 vehicles and chauffeurs, budgets, deadlines, etc.

All I can think of due to your post now in the scene in Office Space when they haul the copier outside.

Matt Cena
03-23-2014, 09:43 AM
3/22/14
Shoulders, Triceps
I was able to pair up with an old workout partner of mine, Ray Poulin, for this workout. I had one goal in mind: to completely destroy my shoulders and triceps.
Cybex Rear Delt Flyes
50lbs x 20
75 lbs x 20
100lbs x 20
These were the warmup sets, focusing on positioning and allowing the rear delts to do the work. Too often I see people just flinging back the weight and it drops as quickly as it was thrust up. I am not a fan of this approach whatsoever.
150lbs x 10 - 125lbs x 6+ partials- 100lbs x 4+ partials
with one punishing set under my belt and spotting Ray I get ready to up the ante
175lbs x 6+partials - 135lbs x 4+partials - 100lbs x 6+partials
Icarian Machine Side Laterals
30lbs x 10
60lbs x 6
100lbs x 8- 70lbs x 7+partials-40lbs x 4+partials
100lbs x 6+partials-70lbs x 4+partials -40lbs x 5+partials
Cybex Machine Overhead Presses
100lbs x 8
250lbs x 9+partials-200lbs x 4+partials-150lbs x 4+partials-100lbs x 3+partials
250lbs x 7+partials-200lbsx 5+partials-150lbs x 3+partials-100lbsX 4+partials
Rope Pressdowns
30lbs x 10
40xlbs x 10
working sets
65lbs-40lbs-20lbs
Icarian Seated Overhead Cable Ext
80lbs -60lbs-40lbs
80lbs-50lbs
30lbs
LifeFitness Seated Plate Loaded Dips
180lbs
360lbs-180lbs

I will follow up with more details later as I am in a time crunch and just wanted to get the info up there.

Matt Cena
03-24-2014, 08:02 AM
I wanted to go into brief detail about the philosophy behind my current approach. Depending on what my goals are dictates how I will go about trying to achieve them. For example when I was striving to set personal records on my power lifts (Bench, Squat, Deadlift) I followed a West Side Barbell and Sheiko approach which are both renowned for having tremendous results on strength levels. At the end of my training efforts I finished with a 500lb Bench Press, 525lb Squat and a 575lb Deadlift.

My current goal is to "recreate" my physique as I had some off time due to personal and family obligations. With my goal being physical appearance I follow pre exhaust training. I was fortunate enough to train with this gentleman at his Bradenton Florida gym, City Fitness.
Ian Harrison is a phenomenal trainer and I am grateful that I had the opportunity to train with him when I was in Florida, my regret being that I did not connect with him until I was close to relocating from that state.

Ian taught me a great deal through training and my post training session Q&A's with him. We went through positioning, exercise selection, intensity techniques, etc. I am doing my best to implement what I have learned from him into my training.

I am a fan of pre exhaust because of the ability to attack and stress the target muscle fully. By starting with the isolated movement and working into a compound movement with strict "Bodybuilding" form I find my target muscle is completely engorged and fatigued by the end.

Again depending on my goal this approach will be modified or changed but right now Pre Exhaust is the key for me.

chrismac365
03-24-2014, 04:23 PM
like the Ian Harrison stuff

Matt Cena
03-24-2014, 07:31 PM
like the Ian Harrison stuff

Thanks Chris, training with Ian was a truly awesome experience.

I hope everything has been well with you.

Curt James
03-24-2014, 08:09 PM
The livery company sounds like it would kill me. =8^O

"What, no nap time???"

Curt,

As far as sleep goes, 6 is at best. I unfortunately do not get the option for naps with my situation and two young children (3 and 1). I had been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea years ago and have been using a CPAP as often as possible but find it difficult when I have any type of congestion or head cold.

In regards to the stress aspect just the regular stress for a 33 year old in the executive field. Operations Management for an executive livery company with over 200 vehicles and chauffeurs, budgets, deadlines, etc.

All I can think of due to your post now in the scene in Office Space when they haul the copier outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PywI0BOxJpI

Matt Cena
03-24-2014, 08:29 PM
The livery company sounds like it would kill me. =8^O

"What, no nap time???"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PywI0BOxJpI

LOL, That is the clip right there. Great scene.

On the nap side of things, no go for me right now. My current situation doesn't allow for them so I get by with what I can get for sleep. I had apnea from a very young age but didn't get "officially diagnosed" until my late 20's.

Matt Cena
03-25-2014, 06:33 PM
3/24/14
Biceps, Traps
Seated Alternate Dumbbell Curls
15lbs x 20
20lbs x 20
45lbs x8+partials-35lbs x 6+partials - 25lbs x 10+partials-15lbs x 12+partials
Precor Seated Preacher Machine Curls
100lbs-75lbs-50lbs
-all drops were taken to failure by using partial reps once I could no longer complete the full range of motion
Seated Hammer Strength SHrugs
90lbs x 20 for 3 sets

When I train alone forced reps are not an option so I implement partial reps at the end of every set. These begin when I can no longer complete the full range of motion and end once I can no longer complete the initial 1/3 of the movement. This technique cannot be applied to all exercises for obvious reasons but when I am able to I utilize it to push past initial failure.

I did not use 2 "working" sets but stopped after 1 on each exercise. I feel it today but am hoping my recovery will come around so that I can add back in the extra sets.

Matt Cena
03-26-2014, 05:27 PM
3/26/14
Chest
Free Motion Cable Crossovers
4th pin down x 20 reps
The stack has absolutely no numbering on it so I am not sure what this was. I can tell you it was light and used for stretching and getting blood flow into my chest.
I stood far forward and performed slow, deliberate contractions. After about 8 I allowed my arms to reach as far back as possible on every rep getting a thorough stretch from each rep before hopping into the next exercise.
Low Incline Dumbbell Flyes
30lbs x 12
45lbs x 12
70lbs x 7+ 3 partials-45lbs x 9+ 3 partials- 25lbs x 12+ 3 partials
Smith Machine low Incline Presses
245lbs x 6- 195lbs x 6- 145lbs x 8- 95lbs x 12
LifeFitness Seated Cable Presses
35lbs x 12 + partials for 2 sets

My chest was pretty much blown up at this point so I called it a day. I got a tremendous pump and am beginning to see vascularity starting to come back. If I feel recovered tomorrow will be legs, if not I will take a day off in between workouts.

Curt James
03-26-2014, 06:45 PM
3/26/14
Chest
Free Motion Cable Crossovers
4th pin down x 20 reps
The stack has absolutely no numbering on it so I am not sure what this was. (snip)

They have those machines in the Gold's where I live. You'd think it would be natural or common sense to put a weight in lbs. at each increase or weight plate.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XPns4AmNB68/UzNYRHzDTtI/AAAAAAAAGzk/Q_XgKfmPAS0/s250/freemotion.gif

CHILDOFGOD
03-26-2014, 06:57 PM
when is ur next show Matt?

Matt Cena
03-29-2014, 06:59 AM
"Curt James:They have those machines in the Gold's where I live. You'd think it would be natural or common sense to put a weight in lbs. at each increase or weight plate.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XPns4AmNB68/UzNYRHzDTtI/AAAAAAAAGzk/Q_XgKfmPAS0/s250/freemotion.gif"
Curt, you would think so. The version that is at the gym I go to has two separate stacks, one for each arm or handle and no numbering sequence whatsoever. I don't mind as I was only using it to warm up

"CHILDOFGOD: when is ur next show Matt?"

There will be no contests on the horizon for me yet, I will be pulling a Vic Richards for now and getting as big and in shape as I possibly can. The difference will be that I will actually compete again, just nothing planned right now.

Matt Cena
03-29-2014, 09:27 AM
3/28/14
Calves, Hamstrings, Quads
Leg Press Toe Raises
Seated Calf Raises
Seated Hamstring Curls
Lying Hamstring Curls
Hammer Strength Plate Loaded Extensions
LifeFitness Horizontal Leg Presses

I am debating changing my training split to allow for more rest days in the template and fewer training days until I can bring myself back up to speed.

data4
03-31-2014, 08:41 PM
I lurk on your journal a couple times per week Matt but rarely post. I figured I would show some support and say that your consistency is inspiring. You are chasing what you want to pursue but being smart about it. Keep up the good work man. All the best!

Matt Cena
04-06-2014, 09:05 AM
I lurk on your journal a couple times per week Matt but rarely post. I figured I would show some support and say that your consistency is inspiring. You are chasing what you want to pursue but being smart about it. Keep up the good work man. All the best!

Data4, thanks for checking in and showing your support. I truly appreciate it.

I am starting a new job and due to changes in my life I decided it best to take last week off in order to adjust to all of the new challenges I will be facing. I am going to be starting back as I progressed well the first week and have more corporate training this coming week.

swingslammer
04-06-2014, 12:24 PM

Yep I have been lurking to since you have been back....go to see you at it again. Sometimes life takes precedence and other times the stars align.

jn6047
05-14-2014, 01:19 AM
Hey Matt, we had messaged a bit a couple years back about BFT training. I'm hoping I can pick your brain a bit more, and look forward to you continuing your log.

On a side note, is the above swingslammer the same fellow from the old musclemayhem forum? If so I hope all is well!

Sexybeast777
09-21-2021, 11:27 PM
are you related to John Cena?