PDA

View Full Version : Strongman Breakdown

tjoe
03-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Robert - You've been at this longer than myself so maybe you could breakdown how strongman is run from the bottom up. How would someone go from the very bottom level to being a competitor at the Arnold, Fortissimus, WSM etc... ? (aside from being a genetic freak)

I take part in NAS events. Say I qualify for "Nationals". Say I win "Nationals" and turn pro. Would that allow me to compete in those shows? or maybe one of the "Super Series" events?

What about the ASC? Are their events for current pros?

Break it down for us bro...

robert da strongman
03-12-2009, 05:41 PM
ok here it goes...

this is just from an american standpoint.

North American Strongman Inc. sanctions all amateur competitions.
there are 4 levels of competiton based on weights, classes, competitors, and promoter experience. these are silver, gold, platinum, and platinum +. the last one is a pro qualifier either a heavyweight or lightweight card, sometimes it is both. these are limited to a certain number each year.

at a silver the top competitor in each class or division gets an invite to nationals. gold it is top 2, platinum it is top 3.

weight classes and divisions....
175 and under
176-200
210-231
232-265
266-300
300+
anyone over 232 is considered heavyweight in terms of qualifying for nationals
231 and under is lightweight

light and heavy are the 2 of the divisions in NAS.
there are also master(over 40), teens(up to 19), women, and police/fire/military.
they have a totally separate nationals. masters can compete in the opens and if they win they qualify for open and masters nationals.

there is also a novice division that doesnt get qualified for nationals.

open nationals
the big freaking show...
the winner gets a pro card. pretty simple. you have to compete in the weight class you qualified at.

robert da strongman
03-12-2009, 05:47 PM
pros...

American Strongman Corp runs the pros division here in the USA.
Most pros compete in the US. The top guys get invites to the Arnold, WSM, etc.
ASC can determine who goes where and to what competition.

there are 2 divisions in the pros...heavy and light(105kg).

robert da strongman
03-12-2009, 05:47 PM
i posted links to the pro comps in the ASC thread.

tjoe
03-12-2009, 07:01 PM
so if you go pro in the NAS... you graduate to the ASC?
Kinda like the NPC into the IFBB.

robert da strongman
03-12-2009, 07:05 PM
correct!

now someone like brian siders can get invited to the arnold or worlds. he never earned a procard in NAS or ASC.

GameofInches
04-05-2009, 04:42 PM
So, the top three competitors in each division at a Platinum show get an invite to nationals.

LW and MW are considered 1 division when it comes to the nationals invite?

How does that work because its two different weight classes and the weights often used on events is different. How do they determine which three out of the top six (3 from LW and 3 from MW) get to qualify for nationals?

Thanks!

tjoe
04-05-2009, 05:27 PM
I think maybe top 3 in each division...
BUT if you are a MW and you do get to Nationals, know that you will be going up against guys <231 and moving some bigger weights.

the next 2 comps I am in only have 2 classes LW(<231) and HW(>231) so I am just guessing :)

robert da strongman
04-06-2009, 12:51 AM
So, the top three competitors in each division at a Platinum show get an invite to nationals.

LW and MW are considered 1 division when it comes to the nationals invite?

How does that work because its two different weight classes and the weights often used on events is different. How do they determine which three out of the top six (3 from LW and 3 from MW) get to qualify for nationals?

Thanks!

you compete at nationals at the weight you won the invite at.
so if you are in the MW and weigh 232 you will compete in the heavies at nationals. 231 you compete as a LW

GameofInches
04-06-2009, 09:22 AM
you compete at nationals at the weight you won the invite at.
so if you are in the MW and weigh 232 you will compete in the heavies at nationals. 231 you compete as a LW

What I meant was that many of these comps that qualify you for nationals have a under 200 and a under 231 class. However, those two are lumped togther at nationals to make the LW class. But at a platinum show for example where the top three winners from each class go to nationals does that mean the top three from under 200 and top three from under 231 go to nationals (which would mean 6 guys alone from that show would qualify for nationals) or if not, how do they determine which three guys are the top three out of the under 200 and under 231?

Thanks!

robert da strongman
04-06-2009, 03:25 PM
top 3 per weight class in a platinum
so if all LW weight classes are repesented then it could be 9 qualifying for nationals.

GameofInches
04-06-2009, 06:34 PM
top 3 per weight class in a platinum
so if all LW weight classes are repesented then it could be 9 qualifying for nationals.

Thats exactly what I was wondering, thanks. That is a lot of guys qualifying.

robert da strongman
04-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Thats exactly what I was wondering, thanks. That is a lot of guys qualifying.

you dont always get that.
not a lot of guys come in 175 and under.

and not everyone can make it to nationals

GameofInches
04-06-2009, 06:42 PM
you dont always get that.
not a lot of guys come in 175 and under.

and not everyone can make it to nationals

Very true!

robert da strongman
04-06-2009, 06:49 PM
then throw in platinum+ and you can narrow down the competitors

BK
04-06-2009, 11:51 PM
then throw in platinum+ and you can narrow down the competitors
Platinum Plus shows are heavier then the Nats, but it is still harder to win Nationals because you always get that "freakshow" athlete who comes out of nowhere and destroys everybody and becasue you have to win overall if you are a lightweight or heavyweight.

BK
04-06-2009, 11:55 PM
correct!

now someone like brian siders can get invited to the arnold or worlds. he never earned a procard in NAS or ASC.
This is correct, but he cannot compete in any ASC snactioned shows because he has not earned his pro status thru NAS. Also, before IFSA went out of buisness, alot of the American competitors you see now could not compete in the WSM because they were under contract with IFSA.
It is very political behind the scenes.

smj091977
05-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Whats up Robert da strongman! Greetings from Watseka! Long time no see! How's life? I see you did a plat+ in april, with Nick K. how brutal were those weights?
Ok, i have been curious about what happened to IFSA. What are those guys doing now? Misha, Zydrunis, Vascyl, et al. They start a new promotion, or going to wsm?
shon

robert da strongman
05-03-2009, 08:23 PM
you still catchin criminals?
or at least fake powerlifters?

that contest was brutal!!
i dont know how well nick did...
i was finally a lightweight.

ifsa is gone. i think there is strongman champions league.

smj091977
05-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Robert Da,
Sorry I momentarily got distracted by the altar of allifit and Ondrea's den of sin threads. Yeah we've had an interesting year; a shooting/murder at a local bar, a grandpatricide, Axe weilding crazy guy, knife wielding neo nazi, and other not the norm crimes for corn country!
Dean the dream will make a triumphant comeback, we just have to believe! http://forums.rxmuscle.com/images/smilies/bowdown2.gif
Congrats on making it out of the jr sumo class! I am still just under the yoko sumo class at 260.
Florida seems to be doing you good. Let me know if you are doing any contests up this way anytime soon.
SMJ

robert da strongman
05-06-2009, 03:17 PM
well fun fun!

florida is nice.

will post up anything i plan...

robert da strongman
12-24-2010, 03:52 PM
People see world's or maybe a local strongman comp and think "wow!"
A lot of events that are heavy and tough...sometimes confusing. But fear not! Let's break this down for the would-be strongman....

The average competition will have 5 events. Most likely a press, deadlift, carry, farmers /grip, and stones/loading. Now here is where the confusion can come in...the events can be for reps, max, time, distance, or any of those combinations! From there you can combine a few of the events into medleys, let's say a keg carry and tire flip.

robert da strongman
12-24-2010, 04:26 PM
farmers walk...

KZ1eyLbquZ0

You do not have to do 400lbs per hand but you get the idea. A very taxing grip and endurance event. Some competitions have a straight run others will have a turn, which is very brutal.

Picking up the implements can be the hardest part. It is a bit like a deadlift from midshin. Once you have it up all you have to do is walk....easier typed than done. Small steps at first then you extend the stride and go as fast as possible. Grip is key on this! It is a static grip event...I find placing the handle as far as possible in the palm helps, I line the handle up with the inside of my thumb. When walking try pressing the hands into your thighs.

Most people will find this similar to carrying a bag by the handles. this can be replicated in the gym by carrying dumbbells. At home...carry a couple full gallon jugs.

AVBG
12-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Great info Rob.. What's a good distance to measure out for the farmers walk?

robert da strongman
12-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Great info Rob.. What's a good distance to measure out for the farmers walk?

50' with a turn and 50' back
you can go 80' straight

Sledge
12-25-2010, 06:14 AM
Great thread. I've often wondered a lot of this stuff.

robert da strongman
12-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Great thread. I've often wondered a lot of this stuff.

thanks...more coming soon

Sledge
12-25-2010, 12:42 PM
How do you guys train if you don't have all the right equipment available?

I have copies of the I.F.S.A 6 classical disciplines specifications and equipment. And the I.F.S.A referee manual.
But the nearest gym that has that sort of equipment described is almost 100miles from me and I'd be lucky to get there once a month.

PowerCoach
12-25-2010, 01:29 PM
GREAT thread Robert, and great tie in of discription of the events with a video to illustrate.

Awesome idea sir!

LacyOkey
12-25-2010, 01:38 PM

I have copies of the I.F.S.A 6 classical disciplines specifications and equipment. And the I.F.S.A referee manual.
But the nearest gym that has that sort of equipment described is almost 100miles from me and I'd be lucky to get there once a month.
You either make it or try to find a local training group near you.You can make farmers for under 30 bucks with no welding needed.Tires are pretty easy to get for free.Les Scwab will generally give them to you because they have to pay to get rid of them.
You can make an axle for about 30 also.

GameofInches
12-25-2010, 05:13 PM

Your best bet would be to find a training group. If you don't have one, then I would make your own equipment. I have made all my own.

AVBG
12-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Hey BFF Rob! I did some farmers walks for my post workout cardio this morning. Using 45lb dumbells, I used the slope of my driveway which is about 50 yards (35-45 degrees gradient) up and down up and down for a total of 35 minutes using my HR monitor set 75%-85% training zone. I'm fucked!

This is what my driveway looks like from top and bottom

GameofInches
12-25-2010, 06:12 PM
Hey BFF Rob! I did some farmers walks for my post workout cardio this morning. Using 45lb dumbells, I used the slope of my driveway which is about 50 yards (35-45 degrees gradient) up and down up and down for a total of 35 minutes using my HR monitor set 75%-85% training zone. I'm fucked!

35mins. is a looong time. There is a big difference between farmers handles and dumbells (for any of those that read this post and think they can just use heavy DBs to mimic farmer walks). But that is a great conditioning technique you used. I bet your forearms are going to be shot tomorrow or the day after.

AVBG
12-25-2010, 06:23 PM
35mins. is a looong time. There is a big difference between farmers handles and dumbells (for any of those that read this post and think they can just use heavy DBs to mimic farmer walks). But that is a great conditioning technique you used. I bet your forearms are going to be shot tomorrow or the day after.

You're not wrong!

I train at home so I tend to improvise sometimes to get to the end result. The thing I like about my recent dabbling in strongman kinda workouts is that it's extremely functional in assisting in day to day stuff.

GameofInches
12-25-2010, 06:27 PM
You're not wrong!

I train at home so I tend to improvise sometimes to get to the end result. The thing I like about my recent dabbling in strongman kinda workouts is that it's extremely functional in assisting in day to day stuff.

I agree with the functionality. When I was doing heavy yoke walks 600+lbs. I noticed my squats were easier because simply holding 300 or 400lbs on my back felt like nothing. Now that I haven't did heavy yokes in a while, I notice that even light weights feel heavy in the squat.

I am getting back to my strongman and powerlifting training in order to get bull strong again.

robert da strongman
12-25-2010, 08:58 PM

learn to weld...or make that trip once a month

GREAT thread Robert, and great tie in of discription of the events with a video to illustrate.

Awesome idea sir!

i have my genius moments

sick...although the dumbbells don't mimic farmers well it is all about the intensity created. the incline and time make up for the weight.

GameofInches
12-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Sledge,

I made my yoke and farmers out of pipe and did not need a welder at all. I bought stone molds (from Slater Hardware) and I have made 4 stones. I have a axle from a piece of pipe (no welding) and I got a free tire from a tire shop.

Granted welding is much better, but it can be done without. And my farmers are perfect and the yoke is a bit of a pain to use, but it works quite well.

Sledge
12-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks guys, I already got a tractor tyre from my local tip (dump to you Americans) and I might pick up a heavier one soon it's a farming town so their is plenty.

And I'm going to start getting the other stuff together. over the next month.

GameofInches
12-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys, I already got a tractor tyre from my local tip (dump to you Americans) and I might pick up a heavier one soon it's a farming town so their is plenty.

And I'm going to start getting the other stuff together. over the next month.

Sounds good man.

AVBG
12-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Hey Rob.. Give us some other stuff we can do.. Is there some creative variation of say atlas stones we can rig up?

robert da strongman
12-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Hey Rob.. Give us some other stuff we can do.. Is there some creative variation of say atlas stones we can rig up?

alrighty...i will get on it tonight

SwoleChamp
12-27-2010, 03:46 PM
interesting thread rob. whats the typical weights/platform heights for the atlas stones. im worried ill be to short lol

robert da strongman
12-27-2010, 03:48 PM
interesting thread rob. whats the typical weights/platform heights for the atlas stones. im worried ill be to short lol

lowest i have seen is 42", highest 66"
unless you are a midget they shouldn't be a problem.
it also varies by comp...some are a straight platform or you can do over a bar. which is typically 52-54"

robert da strongman
12-27-2010, 04:16 PM
you have seen it on WSM, the event that sets strongman apart from all others...
ATLAS STONES!!

qYESoCJlhF4

i posted previously that platform heights vary and sometimes there is a stone over bar event for reps. also the stones might not be next to the platform. the contestant might have to pick up the stone and walk to the platform. can also add that stone lifting is not relegated to the round variety. there are events with field stones that are actually tougher due to the odd shape of the stone. oh yeah...fun but dangerous....stone pressing.

but everyone asks "how do i lift a stone?" well...lift a stone. pretty simple, if you have one or at least have access to a stone. if neither are an option you can train for it. but nothing, i repeat, nothing replaces lifting a stone.

breaking down the lift is easy...a deadlift, row, hi-pull, clean, and often a bit of a press. although those are all in themselves technical lifts this event requires brute ugly strength. better learn how to get seriously angry...

form is out the window, you pick up the stone round-back and bent over. the pick is the toughest part. set you toes halfway over the stone, bend over and use your arms like scoops, set you hands as far under, squeeze your forearms against the stone and pick up it up. do not attempt to curl with your arms...it will not be good if you do. from here you place the stone in your lap. get your knees together and use them as a shelf. here you can readjust as you begin the clean portion...when you adjust stand up and pull the stone high onto your chest. from there you should be able to place the stone on the platform or over the bar, unless you have to shoulder the stone, but thats another lesson... one thing to keep in mind, when you stand up be explosive and get on your toes.

gym training next...

SwoleChamp
12-27-2010, 04:41 PM
it also varies by comp...some are a straight platform or you can do over a bar. which is typically 52-54"

you have seen it on WSM, the event that sets strongman apart from all others...
ATLAS STONES!!

qYESoCJlhF4

i posted previously that platform heights vary and sometimes there is a stone over bar event for reps. also the stones might not be next to the platform. the contestant might have to pick up the stone and walk to the platform. can also add that stone lifting is not relegated to the round variety. there are events with field stones that are actually tougher due to the odd shape of the stone. oh yeah...fun but dangerous....stone pressing.

but everyone asks "how do i lift a stone?" well...lift a stone. pretty simple, if you have one or at least have access to a stone. if neither are an option you can train for it. but nothing, i repeat, nothing replaces lifting a stone.

breaking down the lift is easy...a deadlift, row, hi-pull, clean, and often a bit of a press. although those are all in themselves technical lifts this event requires brute ugly strength. better learn how to get seriously angry...

form is out the window, you pick up the stone round-back and bent over. the pick is the toughest part. set you toes halfway over the stone, bend over and use your arms like scoops, set you hands as far under, squeeze your forearms against the stone and pick up it up. do not attempt to curl with your arms...it will not be good if you do. from here you place the stone in your lap. get your knees together and use them as a shelf. here you can readjust as you begin the clean portion...when you adjust stand up and pull the stone high onto your chest. from there you should be able to place the stone on the platform or over the bar, unless you have to shoulder the stone, but thats another lesson... one thing to keep in mind, when you stand up be explosive and get on your toes.

gym training next...

Great post and thanks! im looking to start strongman training in april after my bb show. dont think i will compete again after this one and always liked the strongman stuff

robert da strongman
12-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Great post and thanks! im looking to start strongman training in april after my bb show. dont think i will compete again after this one and always liked the strongman stuff

no prob...
if you haven't check for people around you to train with. nothing beats having some experience and equipment close by.

swingslammer
12-27-2010, 05:02 PM

65" Inches tall here.....might be a problem?

robert da strongman
12-27-2010, 05:05 PM

learn how to shoulder a stone or pick events that don't have tall platforms

swingslammer
12-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks, I am a now retired Bodybuilder but I love reading this stuff,

robert da strongman
12-27-2010, 07:54 PM
zerchers from pins...

iiqo79TcUg0

high pulls from the hang position...

y8aOs-o9gvs

2 ways to train stones in the gym. the zercher from pins works the bottom portion of the lift, from lap to stand up. the high pull from hang will help power through the lift to the top.

robert da strongman
12-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Elite Fitness Stone trainer (http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=305&pid=2640)

here is a versatile tool for training stones.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/efs-stone-trainer-web.jpg

GameofInches
12-28-2010, 01:09 PM

The lightest stone will be put on the 66" platform. So you could lap the stone and "pop" it up. You must be explosive and roll you hips through, but you can make the stone go air born the push it onto the platform. Or as Rob said, you can lean how to shoulder it. Both are options. Just start using them, and see what works best for you. Goodluck!

tjoe
12-28-2010, 03:02 PM
DMUMxleYyPE

No audio but watch his "set up" right in the beginning of the vid. Perfect. almost perpendicular to the ground and both the lines are TIGHT (meaning the one to the truck AND the one he is pulling on).

SwoleChamp
12-28-2010, 03:12 PM
^^^man thats impressive! whats his body weight?

tjoe
12-28-2010, 03:19 PM
anywhere from 310-340ish.

robert da strongman
12-28-2010, 03:39 PM
DMUMxleYyPE

No audio but watch his "set up" right in the beginning of the vid. Perfect. almost perpendicular to the ground and both the lines are TIGHT (meaning the one to the truck AND the one he is pulling on).

ah one everybody can do...haha!

truck pulls are intense. a good start is the most important part. one thing i noticed doing a truck pull is my arms hurt for days after. once you get the legs moving pulling on the rope is one of the other essential parts of this event.

if you don't have a 15 ton dump truck you can use any vehicle. just don't use a rope assist...do it bear crawl style

tjoe
12-28-2010, 03:53 PM
a great event for sure!
harnesses are not super expensive either.
We have one from Ironmind... forget the size but we used it for big guys and even the chicks at our annual event. Only had trouble getting it on a couple guys over 260ish. Obviously loose on the girls but when you start pulling it stays in place just fine.
worthy investment.

robert da strongman
12-28-2010, 03:56 PM
yeah the ironmind harnesses are the best.

robert da strongman
12-28-2010, 04:00 PM
oh yeah..you can gym train a truck pull!

WTF?!?! Rob are you high you might be asking...again just break the event down into portions. leg press for the leg drive needed and rope cable rows for the pull.

helped me drop 17 seconds off my time from the previous year. i did high rep leg presses for one massive set. drop sets might be a good option too. the rows...i used a tricep rope and grabbed both ends in one hand and went heavy 10 reps 10 sets.

wolverine565
12-28-2010, 09:36 PM
we have the harness and pull gym members trucks. Best thing for anyone is to find a gym that fits there needs. If they can't find one rent a storage room and get people to pitch in for weights and implements.

SwoleChamp
01-03-2011, 03:53 PM
anything new rob?

robert da strongman
01-03-2011, 06:58 PM
anything new rob?

i was thinking the log press

tjoe
01-03-2011, 08:09 PM
4tdGmVQ1ooM

qwoHtHCFoJQ

270 was my best to date. didn't happen today though.

robert da strongman
01-19-2011, 01:40 PM
would that be a good tire to flip?

http://www.wjrr.com/cc-common/otd_images/WJRR-FM_dailyskin/1_18_2011.jpg

robert da strongman
01-19-2011, 01:56 PM
lgz_OXNurG4

_W7wlUDhv08

robert da strongman
01-19-2011, 02:05 PM
the tire flip...

one of my favorite events. easy to get a tire too. if you live in a rural area find the tire dealer that works with the farmers. or find a heavy equipment dealer. the often will give them away for free just to not pay the disposal fees.

do some research before getting one. tread depth and radial tires are 2 things to look at. they will make the weight a whole lot different for that tire.

now on to the flipping....

starts like a deadlift. some people will also start in a football tackle position, shoulders against the tire. either way you will pull the tire off the ground. important point is to find a good grip on the treads.

as you pull up get a leg under the tire. you can also use the leg to "kick" the tire over. one tip...never curl the tire!! you will tear a bicep.

with the leg under transfer the hands to a clean position and begin to push the tire over. a little extra on the push will help the tire travel farther.

TheVanillaGorilla
03-08-2011, 08:39 PM
the turn is the hardest part. I did a little strongman last oct only like 210 in each hand when I turned corner they got twisted THEN the plates slipped off the front bar came back almost hit me in the face and other side fell on my foot. I felt like a bitch getting hurt with that little of weight but clamp wasnt tight I guess so wasnt my fault

I77d6IlL5fY

robert da strongman
03-08-2011, 08:50 PM
turns suck...take practice and a good grip

robert da strongman
03-11-2011, 01:54 PM
one of the tricks to turning with farmers is crossing the ends as you make the turn. you have to keep the handles close the the thighs and squeeze. this is where a nasty strong grip comes in handy. as you turn momentum will take the ends of the implements and swing them away from your legs.

robert da strongman
03-13-2011, 05:22 PM
what you do when you can't get in stone training...

zTZCIFdJRCc

Charles55
03-16-2011, 01:25 AM
Well its quite impressive and to do this there is a need of skill and that many people have shown their skills in video. And only strong men can do it. Well i can't perform like this. Its a terrific job.

Bryan Hildebrand
03-16-2011, 01:32 AM
great video bud... zerchers... love em or hate em.

robert da strongman
03-16-2011, 01:34 AM
great video bud... zerchers... love em or hate em.

takes a certain level of insanity

Armored Underdog
04-04-2011, 08:52 AM
I love zerchers. people always ask what they are when I do them. even people who haven't seen me at my gym in some time due to schedule always recognize me from them.. hahaha Cant do that kind of weight yet. But I will one day...

vaidas viper
06-08-2011, 10:33 AM
the turn is the hardest part. I did a little strongman last oct only like 210 in each hand when I turned corner they got twisted THEN the plates slipped off the front bar came back almost hit me in the face and other side fell on my foot. I felt like a bitch getting hurt with that little of weight but clamp wasnt tight I guess so wasnt my fault

I77d6IlL5fY

On the turn that's happens a lot.

That's me 2 years ago. 120kg each hand. I was probably only 90kg :D
Hb6GWD3nJOE

Bryan Hildebrand
06-08-2011, 11:04 AM
great video on farmers walk. the thing a lot of new guys make or when using a lighter weight is that as they make the turn, the momentum of the implement is still going in the direction it was moving. nosing the implements together a moment or two before you make the turn will really help. some guys like to bring them together in the back.

Louis Costa
06-09-2011, 11:31 PM
great video on farmers walk. the thing a lot of new guys make or when using a lighter weight is that as they make the turn, the momentum of the implement is still going in the direction it was moving. nosing the implements together a moment or two before you make the turn will really help. some guys like to bring them together in the back.

Bryan, You mean like this ?

YouTube - &#x202a;Lou Farmers Walk - PA Stongest Man 07&#x202c;&rlm;

Haha..it was my 2nd show of career a couple of years ago. Still won the Event.:yep:

but learned a valuable lesson.

Bryan Hildebrand
06-10-2011, 12:07 AM
well, minus biffing it... ya! turn them in to reduce that lateral component of gravity...

Louis Costa
06-10-2011, 01:00 AM
well, minus biffing it... ya! turn them in to reduce that lateral component of gravity...

I've figured it out by now. And biffing it was the point of exactly how not to do it.

vaidas viper
06-10-2011, 05:13 AM
Bryan, You mean like this ?

YouTube - &#x202a;Lou Farmers Walk - PA Stongest Man 07&#x202c;&rlm; (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76cZ6WhGVNU&feature=player_profilepage)

Haha..it was my 2nd show of career a couple of years ago. Still won the Event.:yep:

but learned a valuable lesson.

:D:D that's a good one. I had last year proper dive in on the gravel :D Had to search for that video.
What was the weight of farmer's walk?

Louis Costa
06-10-2011, 12:39 PM
:D:D that's a good one. I had last year proper dive in on the gravel :D Had to search for that video.
What was the weight of farmer's walk?

It was lite. 240 or 250. aahhh..the good old days. now everything is 350 and above. kills me..haha

GV
07-01-2011, 05:44 PM
I was wondering if anyone can share some tips for the log. I can't seem to press the same amount of weight with the log as I can on the axel and not sure where my major malfunction is. The clean isn't the problem....I just can't lock out.
Any suggestions on things I can try?

robert da strongman
07-01-2011, 05:46 PM
I was wondering if anyone can share some tips for the log. I can't seem to press the same amount of weight with the log as I can on the axel and not sure where my major malfunction is. The clean isn't the problem....I just can't lock out.
Any suggestions on things I can try?

strengthen the triceps...do you try to strict press the log?

GV
07-01-2011, 05:56 PM
I do, but can only strict press with less weight than what I can with the axel.
I've been hitting tri's harder and with more frequency, hopefully soon it will start to payoff.
Is there any significant difference in body mechanics when pressing a 12" log versus an axel? I wonder if I also need to adjust my technique or it's just a matter of strengthening my tri's?

robert da strongman
07-01-2011, 06:02 PM
I do, but can only strict press with less weight than what I can with the axel.
I've been hitting tri's harder and with more frequency, hopefully soon it will start to payoff.
Is there any significant difference in body mechanics when pressing a 12" log versus an axel? I wonder if I also need to adjust my technique or it's just a matter of strengthening my tri's?

learn how to push press....

SWwpvM-qA7s

only difference between a log and axle is the clean

GV
07-03-2011, 12:34 PM
thanks for the help Rob!

smj091977
07-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Z presses help with everything. I have really gotten a snap on the end of my press since I added them. I am still using 155, lol

-epiDfYFIUM
The first video that pops up happens to be Tjoe, LOL
Some nice weight, I don't think I could get 1.

GV
07-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Damn, those Z presses look brutal! Thanks smj, I'm going to give them a go today in the gym.
That video is awesome, definitely some impressive weight!

tjoe
07-07-2011, 02:48 PM
The first video that pops up happens to be Tjoe, LOL
Some nice weight, I don't think I could get 1.Haha! Awesome! Thanks bro!

Bryan Hildebrand
07-07-2011, 03:06 PM
I can barely get on the floor anymore let alone be able to press from that position!

robert da strongman
07-07-2011, 03:29 PM
I can barely get on the floor anymore let alone be able to press from that position!

try them seated in a smith machine, but use a flat bench. the key to this is the lack of back support.

tjoe
07-07-2011, 04:04 PM
try them seated in a smith machine, but use a flat bench. the key to this is the lack of back support.This would still allow leg drive and the smith would take out the stabilizing work. Still harder than "with" back support, but no longer anything like a Z press.

On the floor with dumb bells would be a bit easier than with a bar though.

robert da strongman
07-07-2011, 04:13 PM
This would still allow leg drive and the smith would take out the stabilizing work. Still harder than "with" back support, but no longer anything like a Z press.

On the floor with dumb bells would be a bit easier than with a bar though.

not if you put your legs out straight ;)

tjoe
07-07-2011, 04:21 PM
not if you put your legs out straight ;)right on (as far as leg drive). Chances are if the poor guy (Bryan) can't get on the floor, he shouldn't worry about pressing large things overhead :no:

robert da strongman
07-07-2011, 04:23 PM
right on (as far as leg drive). Chances are if the poor guy (Bryan) can't get on the floor, he shouldn't worry about pressing large things overhead :no:

haha....i think he is worried about not getting his big ass up off the floor

tjoe
07-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Lol

GV
07-08-2011, 08:51 AM
I tried the Z pressess for the first time a few days ago. I did them after doing SOHP and push presses and I noticed the Z pressess really worked my rear delts.....*I feel like a dork asking this but, here goes*....is that normal (considering there is no back support) or could that be an indication of a weakness I need to work on?

robert da strongman
07-08-2011, 09:06 AM
could be the case for you....i feel it everywhere when i do them

philipabraham
12-15-2011, 12:05 AM
Nice one.Thanks for sharing.

mik3tony
01-02-2012, 08:46 PM
nice meeting you guys

M4BTEAM
12-30-2012, 06:22 AM
Great thread for explaining the fundamentals of strongman.

rommy144
10-22-2013, 07:16 AM
This post is very entertaining, I like the all videos in this post. I enjoy the videos.