PDA

View Full Version : Like a Fine Wine...

Quadsweep
05-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Like a fine wine…. I do not feel like this after 30 years with the iron being my constant opponent. I would assume if I were a fine wine aged 30 years I would be …well awesome! I actually feel more like bruised grapes!

This shit does not get any easier that is for sure! Multiple surgeries, probably a couple more needed but that would mean time off. It reminds me of that old commercial with Jack Palance. He said, “Getting old it’s not for sissies!” While I do not think I am old yet I am about half way through the race.

The other day while I am preparing all my diet meals for the day I asked myself why after al this time am I doing this shit…still. I do not know the answer. I was watching Raising the Bar 3 and Dave said after his last show he would never do it again and he has not. I understand why he says it. The single mindedness it takes to do this fucked up sport is taxing to yourself and everyone around you. The constant food preparation…which I cannot figure out how the fuck I cook so damn much when I am eating so much less and why the hell am I ALWAYS at the grocery store….WHY!?

Why are we (Rita and I.) going to spend around $5K competing when we could go on a nice ass vacation with all that money and rest and relax? I figured this up the other day and was like fuck me! $700 in entries alone for Masters and NAs! That is silly huh!

So why do I do this…because I still fucking love it. I love the challenge. I love being able to be hungry for months and not eat a damn crouton! I love having nothing left in me and still grinding out a hard ass leg workout 3 weeks out. I love that cheating is never even a though. I can make my son waffles and not break!

It is why people climb Everest. Not just because it is there, but because very few people can do it and make it to the top. While I am not at the top I have placed top five in a national show so I am at least in site of the summit. I know that with my torn quad tendons and what not it is doubtful I will summit…actually pretty damn sure of it! But I still want to see how high I can climb. One more national trophy is all I want!

I think of all the guys I will be competing against that hurt like me. Have responsibilities like me. Who worry about all they do and put into their bodies to look like this like I worry? We do what we do because its what we are. You cannot do well in this sport and not suffer. Prices must be paid without a doubt. The rewards to me however are more than worth it!

I look forward to doing battle with all my Masters brothers. Lets be as safe as we can and put up the best package we can and make people marvel that people our age can look like we do.

This is a Blog post that I write for Need to build muscle. I have lots of others there as does Rita. Hope you liked this one.

http://www.needtobuildmuscle.net/blog/2010/05/01/like-a-fine-wine/

Baldiewonkanobi
05-02-2010, 07:27 AM
Little brother (and sister) it does not get any better than this. "Your body is your Temple"...has been stated many ways. We Bodybuilders get to hang around the Temple longer than the average bear. In there we are at peace. It is a place of wonder. It is the place of endless opportunity. I can think of no other endeavor where one feels all the little nuances of life.... from your own breathing, your hormonal balance, endorphins, injuries and healing, cardio vascular system, digestion and elimination. And yes your eyes. The site of the stage ready self in the mirror is fucking awsome. Don't even try to explain that to the lard asses giggling and farting by the water cooler at work. Yeah, the ones that mock you with faux most muscular shots as you reach for your strip of chicken breast and broccoli in the frige.

I said "That's it, no more" 13 years ago......HAH. Here I am again in love with dwelling within my own body/Temple rather than cursing it as do my fellow geezers.

It's all in the journey...yet that National trophy is your validation. See you guys on stage.

Baldie

Quadsweep
05-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Little brother (and sister) it does not get any better than this. "Your body is your Temple"...has been stated many ways. We Bodybuilders get to hang around the Temple longer than the average bear. In there we are at peace. It is a place of wonder. It is the place of endless opportunity. I can think of no other endeavor where one feels all the little nuances of life.... from your own breathing, your hormonal balance, endorphins, injuries and healing, cardio vascular system, digestion and elimination. And yes your eyes. The site of the stage ready self in the mirror is fucking awsome. Don't even try to explain that to the lard asses giggling and farting by the water cooler at work. Yeah, the ones that mock you with faux most muscular shots as you reach for your strip of chicken breast and broccoli in the frige.

I said "That's it, no more" 13 years ago......HAH. Here I am again in love with dwelling within my own body/Temple rather than cursing it as do my fellow geezers.

It's all in the journey...yet that National trophy is your validation. See you guys on stage.

Baldie That was very nice! Yes it is awesome to exhibit control over so many aspects of ones life and body! And the lard asses who tell you what I am is doing is unhealthy! Kills me. My valadation is not in the trophy actually. That is apparent in that I have not had a new one in a decade almost now! But here I am, still under the iron...the iron that is my home. I do it as I have said before for the friendships and commaraderie. Make no mistake I will do all I can to beat my brothers onstage but that does nothing to disolve the bond I feel. We are a sub-culture. We need to have that bond. Brothers and sisters in IRON? Its the IRON that binds.

Jeff

axioma
05-03-2010, 09:11 AM
You summed it up nicely. And yes, it is the comraderie of knowing that MOST of the guys in Masters will have similiar injuries and responsibilities. All of us will have something on our bodies that make the onlooker go "WTF?", torn, ruptured, distended...HAAA, fuck yea! Great post.

GerryT
05-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Excellent post, Jeff. Respect your tenacity, and look forward to saying hello to you and Rita in July.