PDA

View Full Version : Is this the protocol when you win a pro card?

the mighty stu
05-02-2010, 07:27 PM
So I not only won my class (middleweight) but the Overall as well in the USBF NJ Natural Classic yesterday (5/1/10), and I guess the expected action is to let everyone on here know -lol.

It was a regional qualifier, so just by winning my weight class I secured the Pro Card, and to be honest, I was initially very surprised, the light heavyweight winner just looked like a tank, very round muscle bellies, taller than I was, and just a more flowing build. In watching the video though (and I'll try to link some up when I get them off my camcorder), I realized that I looked to weigh the same (at about 6 inches shorter), and definitely looked thicker, and drier overall. What I also heard later, was that my posing really got attention as well, so to any newer competitors out there, the judges do actually notice!

Not bad for a guy who's only been competing a year,.. This was actually the very first show I did last May 2nd,.. so this has been my entire competitive career so far, 3 shows in a year's time:
1st show - Won Novice Overall
2nd show - Won Weight Class
3rd show - Won Overall

So Now the last contest I signed up to do in 4 weeks has suddenly turned into my pro-debut! How cool is that?! (and to be honest, I feel more like this will be fun, and less pressure going into it)

Just wanted to share with everyone who's been so helpful and supportive to me on here over the last year.

S

Jaredmus
05-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Congrats my man,
best of luck with everything, I'm going to be coming out to train with bobby voigt in early june at bev francis powehouse then maybe once every month after that how far are you from there? would be great to meet up and for me to train with 2 pros!

MusclesMarinara
05-02-2010, 07:39 PM
congrats on the pro card!

AVBG
05-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Congrats Stu!! Let us know if you want me to convert this thread to a sticky q&a journal?

Wh1teruss1an
05-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Congrats Stu!

IL WNBF Pro
05-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Congrats buddy!!!!

stugots_
05-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Congrats on getting your Pro Card!

MsGuns
05-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Congrats Stu! Welcome to the Pros! Rock the Stage in 5 weeks!

MsGuns
05-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Ps. The promoters can set the protocol for pro cards...
Class winners or overall...
NGA I've seen both...
OCB I can't tell ya
INBF overall winner

NATURAL-1987
05-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Congrats, I hope to follow in your foot steps and make it to the pro stage in the near future as well.

the mighty stu
05-03-2010, 05:59 AM
Yeah, I've seen shows where the class winners get cards, and ones where it's the overall. I won my class at the show I did 2 weeks back, but it wasn't a "regional qualifier" (or what I've seen called a "super" qualifier), where class winners and overall get the nod. This was really cool though, because as the other class winners and I lined up to go out for the overall judging and posedown, we all already knew we had won our cards, so we had a little fun on stage.

S

Sandpig
05-03-2010, 06:12 AM
Congrats, Stu.
Knock em dead at your Pro debut.

Matt Cena
05-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Congratulations on achieving your Pro Card and best of luck in your upcoming Pro Debut! Keep us posted.

the mighty stu
05-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Figured I'd share a vid from the show :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmI7siVJNaE

S

NATURAL-1987
05-04-2010, 11:45 AM
I didnt watch the whole video but I will later. Just going off 1/4 turns guy on the right was the winner. And it looks like your avatar. I will check back later and watch whole vid. Again, congrats.

Rsardinia
05-04-2010, 04:23 PM
congrats brotha. got a good track record going for your show placings :)

MusclesMarinara
05-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Watching the video now...

initial reaction... your quad separation stands out dramatically over the rest of the competitors (im assuming your to the right, bc it looks like u lol)

you get right into your poses and hold it, which i like.. all the moving around isnt needed IMO. also the judges get an extra few seconds to look at the pose.

Clear winner to me. Did the taller guy take 2nd?

the mighty stu
05-05-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm the third from the left in the black trunks (#27). I think you're looking at the lightweight, who had ripped quads, but no muscle -lol.

They don't place the rest of the overall competitors, just the winner.

S

MusclesMarinara
05-06-2010, 12:31 AM
oops.

Is there a site with pics.

the mighty stu
05-06-2010, 06:28 AM
I haven't gotten them yet from the show's photographer, I think I should get a CD in a couple of weeks.

The guy you referenced was welter, or bantamweight. His quads looked great, he was shredded, but couldn't have weighed more than 130, and was just about my height (5'8). He kind of blew me off backstage when I said hi and recognized him from a show 2 weeks earlier (I beat his son for the class win). He was a lot friendlier after I won the overall though -lol.

I'm surprised you think he did well in the quarter turns. I'm pretty objective, but that guy had absolutely no thickness on him at all. Even the rear relaxed, his arms look like pipes just jutting out, and in the bicep shots, while he definitely has a good taper, there is absolutely no thickness to his lats. I've been to enough prejudgings (and been in the top 3 in every show I've done) to know that the judges will put the guy being considered for 1st in the middle of the lineup, and then to one side the guy with comparable size, and to the other side, the guy with comparable conditioning so they can truly compare. I've also noticed that some judges will recall certain poses at the very end of the judging that are the strengths of the top competitor, sort of like they're just making certain before they let everyone file off.

S

MusclesMarinara
05-06-2010, 01:21 PM
I haven't gotten them yet from the show's photographer, I think I should get a CD in a couple of weeks.

The guy you referenced was welter, or bantamweight. His quads looked great, he was shredded, but couldn't have weighed more than 130, and was just about my height (5'8). He kind of blew me off backstage when I said hi and recognized him from a show 2 weeks earlier (I beat his son for the class win). He was a lot friendlier after I won the overall though -lol.

I'm surprised you think he did well in the quarter turns. I'm pretty objective, but that guy had absolutely no thickness on him at all. Even the rear relaxed, his arms look like pipes just jutting out, and in the bicep shots, while he definitely has a good taper, there is absolutely no thickness to his lats. I've been to enough prejudgings (and been in the top 3 in every show I've done) to know that the judges will put the guy being considered for 1st in the middle of the lineup, and then to one side the guy with comparable size, and to the other side, the guy with comparable conditioning so they can truly compare. I've also noticed that some judges will recall certain poses at the very end of the judging that are the strengths of the top competitor, sort of like they're just making certain before they let everyone file off.

S

its hard to tell from a youtube video. everyone kinda looked the same to me lol. i could jus tell the guy had ripped quads and i liked his posing. it would be easier to tell with pics. dont take my previous post as saying u shouldnt have won. post a link for pics when you can.

TreeTrunkLegs
05-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Proud of you brotha! Thats so great man, very very cool. Congrats!!

the mighty stu
05-06-2010, 04:09 PM
MM- Will do. Obviously I've been able to view the video on a full screen -lol.

TREETRUNKS- Thanks big man, means a lot coming from you. Last May was my first show, and to be honest, I had no clue what I was myself getting into,.. and you and Dolo were just Beasts! I was damn proud to finish 3rd in that open! Looking forward to your crushing the Team Universe! All the best brother!

S

the mighty stu
05-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Okay, I figure I'll still be waiting a week or so (at least) until I get the pics in the mail, but I figured out that I can get screenshots from the video :D

So here's a few shots from the middleweights and the overall

S

the mighty stu
05-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Wow,.. I was expecting at least SOME feedback! -lol. I know this site is chock full o' competitors :)

S

Fah-Q
06-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Just saw this thread and that is effin awesome man! I'm new to the site and already I found a new pro! hahaha natural ftw man, great physique!

the mighty stu
06-11-2010, 04:15 PM
LOL, thanks bro,... Just one of many Pros/Competitors on here :D

S