PDA

View Full Version : Best carb loading foods?

JVALDEZ
03-13-2009, 06:59 PM
What are the best carb loading foods to eat?

matt1005
03-13-2009, 08:11 PM
I found that I like white rice. Before that I always did red potatoes.

Angela123
03-13-2009, 08:50 PM
carb loading before a show? or just loading up on carbs throughout a diet?

for a show...really just depends on the person and what type of diet they had previously been following and how conditioned they are. if someone comes in ready but still not super, super dry and conditioned...then for sure they shouldnt follow my list below, of sugary foods that ive used to carb up in the past. that list may just make them look softer.

i used different carbs when i followed a high protein, low fat, mod carb vs the keto diet. and yes i did use small amounts of carbs to load when i did keto. i know dave doesnt carb up his women. but i use a different trainer.

when i worked with mike davies...grapefruit, oats/cream of rice, craisens/raisens.

tho i know my body, id also throw in more simple sugars bc the oats/cream of rice would not fill me out (this is not on mikes davies plan but hey i know what i need to do to look good lol)...this stuff would help me look fuller and bring out my vascularity while still keeping me dry. so id eat anything with sugar, spoonfuls jam, honey or fluff, some candy like sour patch kid (any candy would do lol...i just like sour patch kids), and chocolate, like mini snickers.

when i did keto..besides the obvious fatload, i did have some rice cakes.

just gotta experiment. matt105 likes red potatoes...which is great for some, but i know ive talked to a few people who say they cant eat potatoes b4 a show, it will make them hold water. so...like i said..trial and error.

rice cakes and jam is a very popular carb load. i always see this at shows. whether or not it works with you, you'll have to try it out.

Suzanne
03-13-2009, 11:26 PM
i was still holding some subq water and used cookies with very little fat every few minutes and subq water went into muscle i got tighter and tighter and more vascular as i ate them

Angela123
03-14-2009, 12:00 AM
see...suzanne is different than me lol. i dont know if id be able to pull of eating cookies every few minutes if i was still holding subq water.

sassy69
03-14-2009, 05:52 AM
I've always kept my pre-show carbs to essentially the same stuff I ate all the way up to the show. Sweet potatos & Cream of Rice. I've known more than a few people who got sick eating somethign they hadn't digested in a while and just bloated out or simply got sick. One even bailed out of a show at prejudge. As mentioned, certain things just start to make my stomach touchy so I try to keep things as neutral as possible.

tammyp
03-14-2009, 06:27 AM
granola, salt free. dry oats with PB. i never have wet carbs the day before.

Allifit
03-14-2009, 09:34 AM
I've always kept my pre-show carbs to essentially the same stuff I ate all the way up to the show. Sweet potatos & Cream of Rice. I've known more than a few people who got sick eating somethign they hadn't digested in a while and just bloated out or simply got sick. One even bailed out of a show at prejudge. As mentioned, certain things just start to make my stomach touchy so I try to keep things as neutral as possible.
My theory EXACTLY. I've used sweet potatos with brown sugar but felt it was too much. At the Arnold Am I used rice cakes (chocolate rice cakes) so they had sugar in them but they were dry so they didn't bloat me, and they're a pretty light food so I didn't get sick off of them.

One girl backstage at the arnold am had ICE CREAM. I'd have hurled... lol.

tammyp
03-14-2009, 09:56 AM
dairy? she musta paid for that...dumb idea.

Angela123
03-14-2009, 11:09 AM
oh yah...when i use oats or cream of rice. they are always dry.

Kolbe
03-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Great thread!
When coming from a mod carb, low fat diet I've carbed up on rice cakes with honney and candy. Once I had chocolate and bananas.
Now I've been folowing Dave's diet and I have no clue what to do the final days before the comp.
I'd love to hear about the fat load.. what to eat the day before and on show day, what about water?

Suzanne
03-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Jeremy loads me depending on how i look he checks me every 2 hours
sometimes i need sodium sometimes not
sometimes some fat sometimes not

Allifit
03-14-2009, 01:40 PM
dairy? she musta paid for that...dumb idea.
I thought so too- my stomach would've been a MESS.

~Dayna~
03-14-2009, 02:52 PM
I think I am going to try a diffrent approach to loading this year I have always done a fat load but don`t think it has brought out my best so going to see how high GI and simple carbs and very low fat. I will test run it first with my cheat meal see how it looks.

Lethal Threath
03-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Cheeseburgers, french toast with maplesyrup & loads of brownies makes the trick for me..

fitcorps
03-20-2009, 08:51 AM
So many factors. If someone is EXTREMELY flat, I personally feel their better off starting their load with higher GI carbs and then switching to low GI carbs as they begin to fill out.

I also thik it depends on WHAT carbs a person has been eating. If you use mostly sweet ptoatoes in your prep diet, I think a person shold stick with sweet potatoes. Why make a drastic change? The body may not like what you do.

Frosty
03-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Oragnic Pop Tarts!!!!

Also runner up for clean carb load foods is cream of rice.

Be careful of foods that will cause gas and bloat your stomach. Either eat ones that won't, cream of rice being a good example, or take Beano or maybe even GasX to reduce gas.

militantmuscle
03-20-2009, 11:23 AM
For the carb-up, I like giving my athletes high glycemic/low fat carbs in specific portions and observing their reaction. After pre-judging, foods high in carbs, sodium and fat (burgers, pizzas) are ok.

fitcorps
03-20-2009, 01:07 PM
I must admit, I had an amazing reaction and response to carb loading with low fat pop tarts and 1 tbsp nat pb every hour on the hour for 4 hours then switching to 1 or 2 rice cakes adn pb every 90-min before prejudge.

I keto'd for that show. I did 3 shows in a row. I tried to make light weight in the 2nd show of the 3. I didn't eat anything until Iweighed in. I missed by 1/2 pound and was so flat. I did the above protocol. I looked insane and won my class of 13. Toughest class I've ever won. Between shows I had a burger (no bun) and fries w/ diet coke. At the night show I was even harder. I gorged after the show adn my condition continued to improve through the night. I had no spill over at all.

Thenext week I did another show. I looked good but could not fill back out.

It is hit and miss when you take that kind of approach.

militantmuscle
03-20-2009, 01:19 PM
fitcorps, your experience coincides with my experience with my athletes, if they are truly in shape and top condition, it takes a lot to mar the competitor's physique, even up to a week later (even longer for those who are extremely metabolically gifted) the athlete will be in great shape and still hard as nails.

After having dieted so long, the body cannot simply just get out of shape, I also attribute this to the 'priming' rebound effect post contest.

Joshua H
03-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Pre show carb ups I have always done dry carbs for the full 3 days. First day is the highest carb day with mostly high GI carbs. Second day is medium carbs with a blend of high and low GI carbs. Friday or day 3 I go super low GI carbs and tapper then off my 6-7pm as I git my muscle more full. I add creatine mono back in with the last 3 days as well.

Rice cakes and raisin bran the first day. Baked sweet potatos or red potatos the 2nd day and then all sweet potatos and dry old fashioned oats the final day. Dries me the hell out big time! I use sherbert the morning off which sounds crazy but after reading about a tactic that Carlon Colkner used with several of his guys and its outcomes I ran it with my clients and it worked wounders for keeping adjustments very specific hour by hour. I plan to do the same for my next show.

pnohe
03-29-2009, 10:38 AM
most of the people I work with react well to mashed sweet potatos (1 cup)with about a tablespoon of honey first thing uppon waking, 1/2 cup 1 hour later and then rice cakes with jam there after as needed. by the time the stage calls... all filled up and ready to go

Legend
03-29-2009, 01:36 PM
White rice

Angel food cake

Cream of rice

Instant grits

Rice cakes

I also have my own recipe I call competition cookies.

figurebre
06-03-2009, 09:04 PM
We are still trying to figure my body out! I am a very watery monster, and whenever I pump up my water pumps into my muscle bellies. SO I get a good pump. What we loaded with last show didnt work that well.
The challenge is getting the water off my lower half, without sacrificing the fullness of my upper. so the magician is trying to figure out what we will do for Jrs.

fitmomma3
06-03-2009, 09:23 PM
We are still trying to figure my body out! I am a very watery monster, and whenever I pump up my water pumps into my muscle bellies. SO I get a good pump. What we loaded with last show didnt work that well.
The challenge is getting the water off my lower half, without sacrificing the fullness of my upper. so the magician is trying to figure out what we will do for Jrs.Have you ever tried fat loading instead to try and dry out more, sounds like you could be very carb sensitive if your holding. A lot of women in figure use this method I believe Dave P does with most of his figure competitors... just a thought.

figurebre
06-03-2009, 11:24 PM
I brought up the idea. Especially since carbs are what hold water.
I had some red meat the night before.but that was all. still dont know what we will do yet! but some peaut butter sounds damn good

Suzanne
06-04-2009, 11:33 AM
I brought up the idea. Especially since carbs are what hold water.
I had some red meat the night before.but that was all. still dont know what we will do yet! but some peaut butter sounds damn good

carbs draw the subQ water into the muscle giving the full round look you want :)