PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with NPC Jr. USA Champ Gail Auerbach!

huge285
05-25-2010, 03:28 AM
Ask JR USA OVERALL CHAMP GAIL AUERBACH all your training, diet, and supplement questions!

The Prodigy
05-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks Dave! I am excited about this new networking opportunity. Allow me to introduce myself!

I am a first grade teacher who just finished her Ph.D in Special Education. I have a master's degree in administration and have been teaching for ten years. I am a hard worker and very passionate about the things and people in my life. I just became an aunt for the first time in November and am crazy about my baby niece! I just bought a condo in October and am having fun working on my patio! I love camo, reading, movies and anything related to the sport of bodybuilding. At age 6 I was diagnosed with ADD, ED, LD and BD so school and life was always a struggle for me. This is probably why I went into education for a profession!

I start competing in 08 and have fell in love with this sport and competing. I am my own worst enemy and tend to mentally lose track of why I do this sport often. I am no expert and would not consider myself a "guru" in any sense of the word. In fact, I often call myself a rookie and baby when it comes to competing. I am here to share knowledge I have learned along the journey of bodybuilding and life. I am easy going and very open so feel free to ask me anything about the sport, life, relationships, my opinions, for suggestions, etc....I may not know all the answers but I promise to do my best to find them! For those of you I don't know I look forward to meeting you and creating a friendship. Hugs! G

Suzanne
05-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Congrats on your Q&A

Here's The Grind you asked me to post

The Grind
The Grind is that time in your physique transformation where you just put your head down and grind it out.
It’s often the time between the initial fast “newbie” results and the final results. Changes are occurring in your body, but you may not see them from week to week.
Mentally, The Grind is also where some of that new program and new diet enthusiasm wears off and it all becomes routine, even boring. There’s nothing left to do or say really; you just work the plan, day to day to day.
But toward the end of The Grind, what’ll happen is that you’ll glance back at your “befores” and realize you’ve made some major changes. Other people will begin to notice. And that positive feedback will reignite the enthusiasm. And that will cause you to kick the training up a notch, leading to more results.
I think The Grind applies to life in general too, not just to losing fat and gaining muscle. There are simply times when we have to put aside all distractions (even the good ones), put our heads down, grit our teeth, and grind it out. At the end of The Grind lies an achievement, something great, or some reward or pay-off. But The Grind always comes first.
Thing is, most people won’t make this sacrifice; they won’t even begin The Grind, much less finish it. And that’s why most people don’t succeed. The Grind is often what separates the great from the average.
It’s as simple as that sometimes.

stephaniewicked
05-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Hi Gail, Congratulations on all your personal and professional successes! I look forward to meeting you out in Chicago!

The Prodigy
05-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks Stephanie! I look forward to meeting you!

I love motivational poems, books, etc... if you have anything that truly motivates you during prep or in the offseason please post it!

Ibarramedia
05-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Congrats on your Q&A

Here's The Grind you asked me to post

The Grind
The Grind is that time in your physique transformation where you just put your head down and grind it out.
It’s often the time between the initial fast “newbie” results and the final results. Changes are occurring in your body, but you may not see them from week to week.
Mentally, The Grind is also where some of that new program and new diet enthusiasm wears off and it all becomes routine, even boring. There’s nothing left to do or say really; you just work the plan, day to day to day.
But toward the end of The Grind, what’ll happen is that you’ll glance back at your “befores” and realize you’ve made some major changes. Other people will begin to notice. And that positive feedback will reignite the enthusiasm. And that will cause you to kick the training up a notch, leading to more results.
I think The Grind applies to life in general too, not just to losing fat and gaining muscle. There are simply times when we have to put aside all distractions (even the good ones), put our heads down, grit our teeth, and grind it out. At the end of The Grind lies an achievement, something great, or some reward or pay-off. But The Grind always comes first.
Thing is, most people won’t make this sacrifice; they won’t even begin The Grind, much less finish it. And that’s why most people don’t succeed. The Grind is often what separates the great from the average.
It’s as simple as that sometimes.

I like that. Something you could put on a wall. :ok:

The Prodigy
05-25-2010, 03:40 PM
I actually read it when doing cardio sometimes! Tell me about yourself I barramedia!

Suzanne
05-25-2010, 04:00 PM
I like that. Something you could put on a wall. :ok:

I got it from a blog on Erik Ledin's site

The Prodigy
05-26-2010, 04:15 PM
So tell me.....where does bodybuilding and competing play a part in your life? Is it a hobby, something you want to do as a career, something you do just for fun and to stay in shape or maybe you never want to compete. Fill me in!

The Prodigy
05-28-2010, 01:52 PM
When you stop in to lurk...introduce yourself!:yep:

stephaniewicked
05-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Hi Gail, I'm 27 live in NJ and have been lifting for almost 3 years. Right now I'm competing in NPC bikini, but will re-evaluate my future plans after Jr Nats. I love lifting and really want to gain some quality lean mass, so depending on the outcome of the next few weeks, it will probably help drive me to consider whether I continue to compete in the short-term or take time off and work on bringing up lagging body parts, etc. Regardless, I love to be in the gym and I love having the power to sculpt my body (rather than allowing lack of physical activity, poor food choices and age/gravity do that for me).

How long have you been lifting for? How did you get your start in the world of competitive bodybuilding? I love learning about the sport and the science behind it all, especially from people who are willing to teach through their own knowledge and experiences.

Ibarramedia
05-28-2010, 03:30 PM
I actually read it when doing cardio sometimes! Tell me about yourself I barramedia!

I am a weekend warrior/Gym rat or just a barbarian brother of iron. ;) I played a few sports and love to lift. I also respect and support the fbbs in what they do.

The Prodigy
05-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Hi Gail, I'm 27 live in NJ and have been lifting for almost 3 years. Right now I'm competing in NPC bikini, but will re-evaluate my future plans after Jr Nats. I love lifting and really want to gain some quality lean mass, so depending on the outcome of the next few weeks, it will probably help drive me to consider whether I continue to compete in the short-term or take time off and work on bringing up lagging body parts, etc. Regardless, I love to be in the gym and I love having the power to sculpt my body (rather than allowing lack of physical activity, poor food choices and age/gravity do that for me).

How long have you been lifting for? How did you get your start in the world of competitive bodybuilding? I love learning about the sport and the science behind it all, especially from people who are willing to teach through their own knowledge and experiences.

I can't wait to meet you at Jr. Nats! I love to be in the gym and love the offseason much more so than dietin! I did my first local show in 2008 and started lifting in 2007. Before that I was athletic and did team sports. It is hard for me to be in an individualized sport like bbing now! I fight the diet the last 6 weeks mentally and physically! With working and trying to get Nationally Board Certified as a teacher it makes it a challenge. I also need to get away from mentally thinking that I am competing against anyone but myself.

I am always willing to learn and help others in any way I can! Keep me posted on you progress. Feel free to ask me anything! I am open about it all!

The Prodigy
05-29-2010, 11:09 AM
I am a weekend warrior/Gym rat or just a barbarian brother of iron. ;) I played a few sports and love to lift. I also respect and support the fbbs in what they do.

And we love your support! What do you do for a job? Where do you live? What are your goals when it comes to lifting and the gym? Tell me more!

stephaniewicked
05-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Wow, only lifting since 2007? That's impressive... clearly, you were made to be a FBB. Badass!!!

I loved your IA video. I watched it last night, which was perfect because I'm heading out to rock legs shortly. I'm so glad you mentioned pushing off with the back foot during walking lunges. I need to pay attention now and make sure I'm doing that!! Thanks for the tip! You're looking great by the way... 3 more weeks!!!

We're on the schedule next to one another for tanning with Colette, so I'm sure we'll see each other plenty of times before stage time... can't wait!! :)

The Prodigy
06-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Steph,
I don't think that is the schedule, I think its just a list of who she is working with! But I am sure we will still meet up!

stephaniewicked
06-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Oops! :o Well, I will see you there regardless... 15 more days! I'm flying out on the 17th so I can get all settled in before the check-in that evening.

The Prodigy
06-06-2010, 04:03 AM
Share with me what the "craziest" things you do when dieting to get you thru.....

stephaniewicked
06-09-2010, 06:12 PM
I can't think of anything "crazy" at the moment. I rely on SF jello, diet soda, seltzer water, hot tea, crystal light, etc to help fill up my belly or take care of my sweet tooth... whatever it takes to get the job done!

The Prodigy
06-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Share your training style and rotation with me........ I am starting to think about my offseason......

The Prodigy
06-16-2010, 09:45 AM
I am sad and a bit depressed because it is my dad's birthday and Father's Day and I lost my dad in 2006 to cancer and miss him TONS....

AND

My training partners and best friends Suzanne and Chase are moving to AZ on Sunday.....So this one goes out to them................

AFTER A WHILE
After a while, you learn the subtle difference
Between holding a hand and chaining a soul,
And you learn that love doesn’t mean leaning
And company doesn’t mean security,
And you begin to learn that kisses aren’t contracts
And presents aren’t promises,
And you begin to accept your defeats
With your head up and your eyes open
With the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child,
And you learn to build all your roads on today
Because tomorrows ground is too uncertain for plans.
And futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.
After a while, you learn
That even sunshine burns if you get too much.
So you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul,
Instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.
And you learn that you really can endure..
That you really are strong
And you really do have worth
And you learn and learn.
With every goodbye, you learn.

Team Baze
06-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Wuts ur thoughts on the negative image illinois bodybuilding seems to carry with it? i myself love illinois bodybuilding and think people r not realistic and have false images about themselves and instead of turning negatives into posititves they turn to blame and pointing fingers. but there seems to be a somewhat decent size group that feel the chairman and judges don't have it in their best interests... ur thoughts?

also how is ur prep, thinking about off season this close to walking on stage. is that normal for u? i just think about how i can eat LARGE next week. i have learned not to go crazy and work my way back to unhealthy foods. whole other story and lesson learned.

The Prodigy
06-16-2010, 05:43 PM
I think the IL bbing scene is upsetting. Way to dramatic and to many people who are out for themselves and have completely lost site of why we compete.If we compete for the right reason it is for ourselves and no one else. The only one we are competing against is ourselves. Instead of helping each other everyone is out to "become a pro" which for many including myself is an unrealistic goal. So they step on others to try to get there. The people who point fingers at our chairman are the ones who need to look in the mirror and point their finger.....

Yes, I am always looking ahead to what's next and planning ahead.....I have no offseason just a bulking phase. I still eat clean, train hard and dedicate my life to this sport....I just get more cheats and food!

Where do you train in Moline? What shows have you done?

Team Baze
06-16-2010, 07:08 PM
in Moline @ DePaepe's Gym in Rock Island.
also train at Flex Gym in Ottawa quite a bit (Jeff Johnson's gym).

mid-illinois in '09 (middleweight and overall winner)
midwest open / iowa state '09 (middleweight and overall winner) 2 titles one show
nationals in florida '09 (dnp)...
nationals was a great experience and was part of a sponsorship deal. it also was very humbling and helped me realize i have to move up in weight.
at juniors i'm rolling out with about 11 or 12 lean pounds added and my 1st true test as a light-heavy.

The Prodigy
06-16-2010, 07:35 PM
I train at Xsport in Arlington Heights. Their are quite a few competitors at my gym. You should come train one night! We will have to find each other at jrs and say hello! Who does your diet?

Team Baze
06-16-2010, 07:49 PM
for sure, that'd be great to hit a training session with you! thx for the invite. I'm heading to Chicago tomorrow around 1ish. get checked in and knock out the early weigh-in. Friday will be my chill day at the hotel.
Jeff J. has always helped with my diet. i get the advantage of using his experience and knowledge and then just tweak it to fit my body. how is working with dave? also how are u feeling?

The Prodigy
06-16-2010, 11:42 PM
I love working with Dave. In my eyes, he is the best! I am doing great! Just wish I could sleep...my body won't let me!

magsmalone
06-17-2010, 12:00 AM
I am sad and a bit depressed because it is my dad's birthday and Father's Day and I lost my dad in 2006 to cancer and miss him TONS....

AND

My training partners and best friends Suzanne and Chase are moving to AZ on Sunday.....So this one goes out to them................

AFTER A WHILE
After a while, you learn the subtle difference
Between holding a hand and chaining a soul,
And you learn that love doesn’t mean leaning
And company doesn’t mean security,
And you begin to learn that kisses aren’t contracts
And presents aren’t promises,
And you begin to accept your defeats
With your head up and your eyes open
With the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child,
And you learn to build all your roads on today
Because tomorrows ground is too uncertain for plans.
And futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.
After a while, you learn
That even sunshine burns if you get too much.
So you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul,
Instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.
And you learn that you really can endure..
That you really are strong
And you really do have worth
And you learn and learn.
With every goodbye, you learn.
Hey Gail! I can relate to the sad Father's day. My husband and I both lost our dads around the same time and a few years later my husbands sister died (she was only 47). So Fathers day is a little sad around our house too. I see that you are getting ready to compete at Jr Nats. good luck to you. I'm sure that you look fabulous!

stephaniewicked
06-17-2010, 01:13 AM
Sorry to you ladies for your losses. :( I'm looking forward to flying home early Sunday so I can spend the day with my daddy... I love him very much and always cherish our time together. I feel bad for people who don't have that same relationships with their dads. I have always been lucky to have one of the great ones!! And it sounds like yours were great too, as they are sorely missed!

That's a powerful piece, Gail... thanks for sharing! I've had 3 of my best friends move away within a year of one another, so I definitely can sympathize from that perspective.

Good luck to Suz and her family in their new journey though!!

The Prodigy
06-17-2010, 06:46 AM
Thanks guys! I booked photo shoots on Sunday to keep my mind off things! I need to "adopt a dad" for Sunday I guess!

stephaniewicked
06-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Hey Gail! Sorry I missed seeing you this weekend... Hope you had fun on your shoot on Sunday! :)

The Prodigy
06-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Congrats girlie! Sorry we missed each other! Will you be at the USA's? Maybe we can meet then!

stephaniewicked
06-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Unfortunately, no... :( The deadline to submit the application is July 9th and I'm doing Team U July 10th. I don't have enough $$$ to get my application in by the deadline, so I'll have to consider future shows after I see what happens in 10 days.

Good luck to you though!! I'll be following the Rx coverage that weekend!

The Prodigy
07-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations on keeping your metabolism high after a contest diet?

Suzanne
07-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations on keeping your metabolism high after a contest diet?

do not take time off right after comp
go back into the gym the monday after show and LIFT! take advantage the the food coming in your muscle will SOAK it like a sponge
do not go crazy for weeks eating crap food Get right on off season program
Eat enough food

The Prodigy
08-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Gotta love the rebound after dieting.......UGH! I want my tummy back!