PDA

View Full Version : beta-blockers and bodybuilding?

bigandyg
05-25-2010, 07:32 AM
do they harm your muscular gains and/or fat loss? i know good fat loss agents, eg clen ephedrine, are β2 adrenergic agonist, and beta-blockers are beta adrenergic receptor antagonists. which is essentially the opposite.

here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sub9.htm, is says "Beta adrenergic blocking agents, or beta-blockers for short, block the action of T3 in your body. These drugs include propranolol, atenolol, metoprolol and nadolol.
These drugs do not change the level of thyroid hormone in your bloodstream but will slow your heart rate, reduce palpitations and shakes, and calm the nervousness associated with hyperthyroid conditions." so if it prevents t3 from sending its message does this mean fat loss would be greatly reduced?

bigandyg
05-27-2010, 07:59 AM
bump

Bigbench1
05-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Yes, it could slow weight loss down as your body will decrease energy expendature, oxygen consumption, and even increase protein oxidation. Also, it acts on the receptors of fat cells that trigger than to store fat vs release it. Most of these apply to sedentary people vs BBs so you have to take these with a grain of salt, but yes they can have negative effects

bigandyg
05-28-2010, 06:08 AM
thanks, info much appreciated, only taking them at irregular intervals, not on a daily basis so negative effects should be minimised

BEAST MODE
05-28-2010, 08:32 AM
I have to take them for my heart, and have been on them for a year. I have not noticed any significant changes in any of the above mentioned issues.